Mayan Domesday

Tim Bruening

Apr 22, 2009, 2:51:31 AM4/22/09
On the History channel, I am watching a program about the Maya, who had
a very sophisticated calander, consisting of a 365 day cycle, a 260 day
cycle, and a long count 5,125 years long! That long count ends on
December 21, 2012. At that point, the Maya predict doom! On December
21, the sun will line up with the center of the galaxy, and Earth will
complete its 26,000 year wobble. Maybe a wormhole will form.

Erik Max Francis

Apr 22, 2009, 2:58:17 AM4/22/09

Troll elsewhere, please.

--
Erik Max Francis && m...@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M, Skype erikmaxfrancis

Tim Bruening

Apr 22, 2009, 3:00:24 AM4/22/09
On the History channel, I am watching a program about the Maya, who had
a very sophisticated calendar, consisting of a 365 day cycle, a 260 day

cycle, and a long count 5,125 years long! That long count ends on
December 21, 2012. At that point, the Maya predict doom! On December
21, the sun will line up with the center of the galaxy, and Earth will
complete its 26,000 year wobble.

The last page of the Dresden Codex shows a massive amount of water
pouring on the Earth, destroying it. Perhaps the Antarctic ice cap will
melt on that date.

The Maya had an amazing understanding of time and astronomy.

William December Starr

Apr 22, 2009, 3:09:01 AM4/22/09
In article <f5adnUooeoyWXXPU...@giganews.com>,

Erik Max Francis <m...@alcyone.com> said:

> Tim Bruening wrote:
>> On the History channel, I am watching a program about the
>> Maya, who had a very sophisticated calander, consisting of a
>> 365 day cycle, a 260 day cycle, and a long count 5,125 years
>> long! That long count ends on December 21, 2012. At that
>> point, the Maya predict

that everybody will have to buy new "forever" calendars.

-- wds

mimus

Apr 22, 2009, 3:42:17 AM4/22/09

You just flip yer Mayan calendar over, right?

--

"The math is easy," said Chaos.

< _Thief of Time_

David Mitchell

Apr 22, 2009, 5:00:32 AM4/22/09

Hi Tim,

You're an idiot.

Welcome to my killfile.

= David --- If you use Microsoft products, you will, inevitably, get
= Mitchell --- viruses, so please don't add me to your address book.

Arthur

Apr 22, 2009, 8:31:35 AM4/22/09

Hopefully they had a better understanding of astronomy than the movie
about Mayans called Apocalypto. In that movie, there is a full moon
the night after a solar eclipse.

Anthony Nance

Apr 22, 2009, 8:44:29 AM4/22/09
In rec.arts.sf.written Arthur <art...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Apr 22, 3:00B am, Tim Bruening <tsbru...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
>> On the History channel, I am watching a program about the Maya, who had
>> a very sophisticated calendar, consisting of a 365 day cycle, a 260 day
>> cycle, and a long count 5,125 years long! B That long count ends on
>> December 21, 2012. B At that point, the Maya predict doom! B On December

>> 21, the sun will line up with the center of the galaxy, and Earth will
>> complete its 26,000 year wobble.
>>
>> The last page of the Dresden Codex shows a massive amount of water
>> pouring on the Earth, destroying it. B Perhaps the Antarctic ice cap will

>> melt on that date.
>>
>> The Maya had an amazing understanding of time and astronomy.
>
> Hopefully they had a better understanding of astronomy than the movie
> about Mayans called Apocalypto. In that movie, there is a full moon
> the night after a solar eclipse.

Well *yeah* - Shirley some type of Apoca-something is going on if
it's taking two days for the moon to orbit the Earth.

Tony

Dorothy J Heydt

Apr 22, 2009, 9:18:32 AM4/22/09
In article <49EEBE73...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us>,

Tim Bruening <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
>On the History channel, I am watching a program about the Maya, who had
>a very sophisticated calander, consisting of a 365 day cycle, a 260 day
>cycle, and a long count 5,125 years long! That long count ends on
>December 21, 2012. At that point, the Maya predict doom!

Yeah, there's been loose talk about that for a while.

> On December
>21, the sun will line up with the center of the galaxy, and Earth will
>complete its 26,000 year wobble.

Its current one. There have been several already.

> Maybe a wormhole will form.

Maybe nothing will happen at all.

Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at hotmail dot com
Should you wish to email me, you'd better use the hotmail edress.
Kithrup is getting too damn much spam, even with the sysop's filters.

David Johnston

Apr 22, 2009, 9:54:27 AM4/22/09
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 23:51:31 -0700, Tim Bruening
<tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

>On the History channel, I am watching a program about the Maya, who had
>a very sophisticated calander, consisting of a 365 day cycle, a 260 day
>cycle, and a long count 5,125 years long! That long count ends on
>December 21, 2012. At that point, the Maya predict doom!

They don't, actually.

Louann Miller

Apr 22, 2009, 9:58:43 AM4/22/09
Tim Bruening <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote in news:49EEBE73.EB16F3C6
@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us:

> On the History channel, I am watching a program about the Maya,

The thing I like best about the Maya is that many of their written
inscriptions (on cups) turn out to translate roughly "this chocolate cup
belongs to <name>, hands off."

James Nicoll

Apr 22, 2009, 10:26:42 AM4/22/09
Darn. I was hoping this was a YASID so I could answer "Brian
D'Amato's IN THE COURTS OF THE SUN.
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
http://www.cafepress.com/jdnicoll (For all your "The problem with

Anthony Nance

Apr 22, 2009, 11:00:26 AM4/22/09
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> Darn. I was hoping this was a YASID so I could answer "Brian
> D'Amato's IN THE COURTS OF THE SUN.

YASID - what's the new Mayan-themed SF work that involves some modern
Maya descendant going back in time to save mankind from the possible
doomsday on Dec 12, 2012? "Court" something or other?

And thus, you have set a record for YASID response time.
- Tony
P.S. Is the book any good?

Damien Valentine

Apr 22, 2009, 11:02:44 AM4/22/09
Shit, and here I was expecting somebody to report that an equivalent
of William the Conqueror's "Domesday Book" had been discovered in the
jungles somewhere. How many quetzal feathers did each jaguar warrior
have to tithe to their local Divine Lord? How many acres of maize was
a typical peasant expected to farm? Now we would know!

But it's just more boring crap about how the world's going to end in
three years.

People: this was a civilization that saw chucking a virgin into a well
as the only solution to drought. They couldn't even invent bronze,
fer cripes' sake. Not exactly trustworthy guides for the future.

James Nicoll

Apr 22, 2009, 11:05:25 AM4/22/09
In article <gsnbea$r4d$1...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,

I am honestly not sure. Firstly, I don't know enough about
the Maya to judge the historical bits and secondly, while I hated
the protagonist's conclusion at the end, it's book one of three so
I don't know how it will play out. It kept my attention at any rate.

David DeLaney

Apr 22, 2009, 8:07:55 AM4/22/09

We've already had a negative response time at least once, sorry.

Dave "now working on complex" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

WhoMe

Apr 22, 2009, 11:12:52 AM4/22/09
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:58:43 -0500, Louann Miller wrote
(in article <kLSdndyZs4oOv3LU...@giganews.com>):

The Mayan-nays would always vote against it.

WhoMe

Apr 22, 2009, 11:17:42 AM4/22/09
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:02:44 -0500, Damien Valentine wrote
(in article
<dd07498f-3b29-480f...@j18g2000yql.googlegroups.com>):

> But it's just more boring crap about how the world's going to end in
> three years.

This is a lose-lose situation. If the world does not end the predictors lose
as they were wrong. If they are right, there will be no one around to say "I
told you so" and no way to enjoy their wisdom. A win-win is to predict the
world will not end on that date.

I predict the world will not end on that date

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 22, 2009, 11:28:48 AM4/22/09
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:02:44 -0700 (PDT), Damien Valentine
<vale...@gmail.com> wrote:

>People: this was a civilization that saw chucking a virgin into a well
>as the only solution to drought.

Waste of a perfectly good virgin.

I'm selling my comic collection -- see http://www.watt-evans.com/comics.html
I'm serializing a novel at http://www.watt-evans.com/realmsoflight0.html

rochrist

Apr 22, 2009, 11:34:20 AM4/22/09

Maybe they could start up the LHC on the same day!

Anthony Nance

Apr 22, 2009, 11:35:52 AM4/22/09
David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
> Anthony Nance <na...@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>>James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>>> Darn. I was hoping this was a YASID so I could answer "Brian
>>> D'Amato's IN THE COURTS OF THE SUN.
>>
>>YASID - what's the new Mayan-themed SF work that involves some modern
>>Maya descendant going back in time to save mankind from the possible
>>doomsday on Dec 12, 2012? "Court" something or other?
>>
>>And thus, you have set a record for YASID response time.
>
> We've already had a negative response time at least once, sorry.

I do recall that, but it wasn't -34 minutes.

> Dave "now working on complex" DeLaney

"complex"? Pshaw - go quaternions man.

mimus

Apr 22, 2009, 12:02:33 PM4/22/09

I thought they already took it for a test run, wot it blew up and the
world economy collapsed . . . .

Matthew Malthouse

Apr 22, 2009, 12:35:18 PM4/22/09
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:28:48 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:02:44 -0700 (PDT), Damien Valentine
> <vale...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >People: this was a civilization that saw chucking a virgin into a well
> >as the only solution to drought.
>
> Waste of a perfectly good virgin.

Waste of a perfectly good well.

Matthew
--
Mail to this account goes to the bit bucket.
In the unlikely event you want to mail me replace usenet with my name

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 22, 2009, 1:21:00 PM4/22/09
Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <49EEBE73...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us>,
> Tim Bruening <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
>> On the History channel, I am watching a program about the Maya, who had
>> a very sophisticated calander, consisting of a 365 day cycle, a 260 day
>> cycle, and a long count 5,125 years long! That long count ends on
>> December 21, 2012. At that point, the Maya predict doom!
>
> Yeah, there's been loose talk about that for a while.
>
>> On December
>> 21, the sun will line up with the center of the galaxy, and Earth will
>> complete its 26,000 year wobble.
>
> Its current one. There have been several already.

Planets wobble but they don't fall down. (That's better if you remember
the old toy commercial jingle.)

--
Veni, vidi, snarki.

Its all Peachy's fault!

Jon Schild

Apr 22, 2009, 2:35:32 PM4/22/09
To start with, the sun is always lined up with the center of the
galaxy. Any two points in the universe are always lined up with each
other. So "The sun will line up with the center of the galaxy" is just
utter nonsense.

In the second place, I don't know why so many mystical types are smart
enough to notice that ALL calendar cycles come to and end, and then
start over, but assume that somehow this long count will end and the
whole universe will collapse. Utter bullshit.

ABSOLUTELY NO CATASTROPHE WILL HAPPEN.

I bet you hid in your basement so Y2K wouldn't get you, didn't you?

Tim Bruening wrote:
> On the History channel, I am watching a program about the Maya, who had
> a very sophisticated calander, consisting of a 365 day cycle, a 260 day
> cycle, and a long count 5,125 years long! That long count ends on

> December 21, 2012. At that point, the Maya predict doom! On December

> 21, the sun will line up with the center of the galaxy, and Earth will

> complete its 26,000 year wobble. Maybe a wormhole will form.

--
Wanted dead and/or alive: Shroedinger's cat.

Joseph Nebus

Apr 22, 2009, 2:03:51 PM4/22/09
Jon Schild <j...@xmission.com> writes:

>I bet you hid in your basement so Y2K wouldn't get you, didn't you?

Tim Bruening hasn't got around to responding to the posts from
1999 yet. Try again in three years.

--
Joseph Nebus

Erik Max Francis

Apr 22, 2009, 2:26:33 PM4/22/09

An even better one is to wager money with a sucker. Not that someone
dumb enough to take the bet would ever pay up when the time came.

--
Erik Max Francis && m...@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M, Skype erikmaxfrancis
Life is something to do when you can't get to sleep.
-- Fran Lebowitz

Ingo Siekmann

Apr 22, 2009, 2:49:38 PM4/22/09
Jon Schild schrieb:

> To start with, the sun is always lined up with the center of the
> galaxy. Any two points in the universe are always lined up with each
> other. So "The sun will line up with the center of the galaxy" is just
> utter nonsense.
>
> In the second place, I don't know why so many mystical types are smart
> enough to notice that ALL calendar cycles come to and end, and then
> start over, but assume that somehow this long count will end and the
> whole universe will collapse. Utter bullshit.
>
> ABSOLUTELY NO CATASTROPHE WILL HAPPEN.

and if you think how often this 5.000+ year calendar run out during
earths lifetime of about 4.6 billion years...

Bye
Ingo

mimus

Apr 22, 2009, 4:31:21 PM4/22/09
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:03:51 -0400, Joseph Nebus wrote:

> Jon Schild <j...@xmission.com> writes:
>
>> I bet you hid in your basement so Y2K wouldn't get you, didn't you?
>
> Tim Bruening hasn't got around to responding to the posts from
> 1999 yet. Try again in three years.

I got a response from 'im here about _Childhood's End_ last year sometime.

Unless it was someone frogging him.

--
It's the Peterson kid dressed as an iguana!

< _Bloom County Babylon_

William December Starr

Apr 22, 2009, 4:57:17 PM4/22/09
In article <gsn9f2$7m4$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) said:

> Darn. I was hoping this was a YASID so I could answer "Brian
> D'Amato's IN THE COURTS OF THE SUN.

Given that that's got a release date of March 26, 2009, it'd be
impressive for someone to have forgotten it already.

(Yeah, I know: you get review copies way ahead of us mere peasants.
Shut up.)

-- wds

rochrist

Apr 22, 2009, 5:06:00 PM4/22/09
mimus wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:34:20 -0400, rochrist wrote:
>
>> mimus wrote:

>>> You just flip yer Mayan calendar over, right?
>> Maybe they could start up the LHC on the same day!
>
> I thought they already took it for a test run, wot it blew up and the
> world economy collapsed . . . .

Nah, they never got to the part that destroys the world before it broke.

Tim Bruening

Apr 22, 2009, 6:03:59 PM4/22/09

Erik Max Francis wrote:

> Tim Bruening wrote:
> > On the History channel, I am watching a program about the Maya, who had
> > a very sophisticated calander, consisting of a 365 day cycle, a 260 day
> > cycle, and a long count 5,125 years long! That long count ends on

> > December 21, 2012. At that point, the Maya predict doom! On December
> > 21, the sun will line up with the center of the galaxy, and Earth will
> > complete its 26,000 year wobble. Maybe a wormhole will form.
>

> Troll elsewhere, please.

I saw it on the History Channel with my own two eyes.

Tim Bruening

Apr 22, 2009, 6:08:32 PM4/22/09

Louann Miller wrote:

> Tim Bruening <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote in news:49EEBE73.EB16F3C6
> @pop.dcn.davis.ca.us:
>

> > On the History channel, I am watching a program about the Maya,
>

> The thing I like best about the Maya is that many of their written
> inscriptions (on cups) turn out to translate roughly "this chocolate cup
> belongs to <name>, hands off."

There was much mention of 20 year periods called "Katans", and alarming
prophecies for many of those Katans.

Tim Bruening

Apr 22, 2009, 6:10:33 PM4/22/09

WhoMe wrote:

The original predictors (Mayans) are dead!

Tim Bruening

Apr 22, 2009, 6:16:22 PM4/22/09

Jon Schild wrote:

> To start with, the sun is always lined up with the center of the
> galaxy. Any two points in the universe are always lined up with each
> other. So "The sun will line up with the center of the galaxy" is just
> utter nonsense.

I think what is meant is that on December 21, 2012, the Earth, Sun, and
Galactic center will be lined up, I assume with the Sun between Earth and the
galactic center.

> In the second place, I don't know why so many mystical types are smart
> enough to notice that ALL calendar cycles come to and end, and then
> start over, but assume that somehow this long count will end and the
> whole universe will collapse. Utter bullshit.
>
> ABSOLUTELY NO CATASTROPHE WILL HAPPEN.

You guarantee that there will be no hurricanes, earthquakes, floods,
droughts, global warming, volcanoes, bridge collapses, terrorism, etc. on
that day?

Erik Max Francis

Apr 22, 2009, 7:37:35 PM4/22/09

Brilliant thinking. Surely everything you ever seen on television is
always true.

It's utter nonsense. That particular alignment takes place every
December 21st, so it's hardly surprising. And precession is a
continuous process which has happened countless times since its origin,
there's no "completion ... of its wobble." (If you come across a
spinning top, when does each rotation start and stop? It's arbitrary.)
The Earth wobbles and keeps wobbling forever; precession has nothing
to do with its alignment. (And never mind that your computer has vastly
more gravitational and tidal effects on you than the center of the Galaxy.)

Yes, the Mayan calendar ends on that date. However, it started at BC
3114 Aug 11. Is there anything special about that date? Nope, nothing
to do with alignments, nothing to do with precession of the equinoxes.
The Mayans surely couldn't know anything about that since the timescale
of the period is far too long for them to even notice. They had a
calendar with a start and stop long before and after they thought they'd
care. So eventually their calendar stopped, long after they care. We
shouldn't either; there's nothing at all special about that date.

It's a stupid gimmick to help people sell books and movies.

--
Erik Max Francis && m...@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M, Skype erikmaxfrancis

So look into my eyes / I won't tell you lies
-- Neneh Cherry

Erik Max Francis

Apr 22, 2009, 7:42:46 PM4/22/09
Tim Bruening wrote:
> You guarantee that there will be no hurricanes, earthquakes, floods,
> droughts, global warming, volcanoes, bridge collapses, terrorism, etc. on
> that day?

It's possible bad events may occur on that date, because bad events can
occur on any date. How many hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, droughts,
volcanoes eruption, bridges collapsing, and terrorist attacks are there
throughout the year? Enough that the chances that _something_ bad will
happen are rather good, actually. But it's true for _any_ day, not just
2012 Dec 21, so that's hardly interesting.

How scary is the prediction, "Just like any other day throughout the
year, there's a decent chance that _something_ bad will happen
_somewhere_ on the Earth on 2012 Dec 21, the end date of the Mayan
calendar"?

The doomsday sayers are saying all kinds of horrible things will happen
on that date that destroy civilization or the Earth or something equally
spectacular. And that's utter nonsense.

MM

Apr 22, 2009, 8:17:04 PM4/22/09
On Apr 22, 6:42 pm, Erik Max Francis <m...@alcyone.com> wrote:

> The doomsday sayers are saying all kinds of horrible things will happen
> on that date that destroy civilization or the Earth or something equally
> spectacular. And that's utter nonsense.

What is absolute utter nonsense is the discussion back and forth about
this. Not sure who is crazier, the ones who believe it or the ones
arguing against those who believe it. Rather than the blind leading
the blinds, this is the idiots leading the idiots.

Wayne Throop

Apr 22, 2009, 8:11:30 PM4/22/09
: Erik Max Francis <m...@alcyone.com>
: Yes, the Mayan calendar ends on that date. However, it started at BC
: 3114 Aug 11. Is there anything special about that date? Nope, nothing
: to do with alignments, nothing to do with precession of the equinoxes.
: The Mayans surely couldn't know anything about that since the timescale
: of the period is far too long for them to even notice. They had a
: calendar with a start and stop long before and after they thought they'd
: care. So eventually their calendar stopped, long after they care. We
: shouldn't either; there's nothing at all special about that date.
:
: It's a stupid gimmick to help people sell books and movies.

I wonder if the gag will be recycled for when the unix epoch
rolls over 32 bits. Instead of Y2K, Sec2^32. At least then, there's
*some* argument for why it might be of some vague significance.

But don't worry about the Mayan calendar rollover, there's a Glyph Reader,
her three immortal golems, her numerous pocket demons, her Demon Barista,
and a sphynx, working on the problem. I'm sure they'll have it figured
out by 2012.

"Give me one reason not to grind you both into dust."
"She's one of the Glyph Readers."

--- http://www.wapsisquare.com/d/20041112.html

Wayne Throop thr...@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw

mimus

Apr 22, 2009, 9:50:25 PM4/22/09

There's _always_ hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, droughts, global
warming, volcanoes, bridge-collapses and terrorism . . . .

--

This is part of the eternal wonder of the universe
as man forages out to discover in the womb of time

< Malzberg

mimus

Apr 22, 2009, 10:20:24 PM4/22/09
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 00:00:24 -0700, Tim Bruening wrote:

> The Maya had an amazing understanding of time and astronomy.

They were big on human sacrifices, too.

See the _Popol Vuh_.

Heads flyin' _ev'rywhere_.

Which might explain the blood-suckin' here:

http://www.berkeleymedia.com/catalog/berkeleymedia/films/anthropology_world_cultures/archaeology/popol_vuh_the_creation_myth_of_the_maya

Great great rendition, which I once pirated off TV somewhere onto VHS
(long gone), buUut . . . .

--

Let's play _ball_!

< _Popol Vuh_

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 22, 2009, 11:37:33 PM4/22/09

Welcome to Usenet.

Christopher Henrich

Apr 22, 2009, 11:59:09 PM4/22/09
In article <49EF944F...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us>,
Tim Bruening <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

There's a lot of crap on the History Channel.

--
Christopher J. Henrich
chen...@monmouth.com

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 23, 2009, 2:45:27 AM4/23/09
Christopher Henrich wrote:
> In article <49EF944F...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us>,
> Tim Bruening <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
>
>> Erik Max Francis wrote:

>>> Troll elsewhere, please.
>> I saw it on the History Channel with my own two eyes.
>
> There's a lot of crap on the History Channel.

A lot of history is crap. :-P

(Or is that "A lot of crap is historical"?)

ncw...@hotmail.com

Apr 23, 2009, 2:57:55 AM4/23/09
On 23 Apr, 00:08, Tim Bruening <tsbru...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
> Louann Miller wrote:
> > Tim Bruening <tsbru...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote in news:49EEBE73.EB16F3C6

There were nearly ten such prophecies. Collectively they are known as
the Katan Nine Tales.

Cheers,
Nigel.

ncw...@hotmail.com

Apr 23, 2009, 3:02:22 AM4/23/09
On 23 Apr, 00:16, Tim Bruening <tsbru...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
> Jon Schild wrote:
> >   To start with, the sun is always lined up with the center of the
> > galaxy.  Any two points in the universe are always lined up with each
> > other.  So "The sun will line up with the center of the galaxy" is just
> > utter nonsense.
>
> I think what is meant is that on December 21, 2012, the Earth, Sun, and
> Galactic center will be lined up, I assume with the Sun between Earth and the
> galactic center.

Err ... That happens every year.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Sean O'Hara

Apr 23, 2009, 9:21:27 AM4/23/09
In the Year of the Earth Ox, the Great and Powerful Dimensional
Traveler declared:

> Christopher Henrich wrote:
>>>
>> There's a lot of crap on the History Channel.
>>
> A lot of history is crap. :-P
>
> (Or is that "A lot of crap is historical"?)

But a lot of the crap on the History Channel isn't historical.

Unless you're a retard who believes in the DaVinci Code and Roswell.

--
Sean O'Hara <http://www.diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com>
New audio book: As Long as You Wish by John O'Keefe

Sean O'Hara

Apr 23, 2009, 9:41:36 AM4/23/09
In the Year of the Earth Ox, the Great and Powerful Lawrence
Watt-Evans declared:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:02:44 -0700 (PDT), Damien Valentine
> <vale...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> People: this was a civilization that saw chucking a virgin into a well
>> as the only solution to drought.
>
> Waste of a perfectly good virgin.

But a terrific opportunity for an entrepreneur to provide
devirginification services.

Joseph Nebus

Apr 23, 2009, 11:47:50 AM4/23/09
ncw...@hotmail.com writes:

>On 23 Apr, 00:16, Tim Bruening <tsbru...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
>> I think what is meant is that on December 21, 2012, the Earth, Sun, and

>> Galactic center will be lined up, I assume with the Sun between Earth and=
> the
>> galactic center.

>Err ... That happens every year.

I don't think that necessarily does, actually. Treating the
Galactic Center as a single point then the inclination of the Earth's
orbit relative to ... uhm ... well, I can't put into words just what
I want it inclined to. So let me imagine a slightly different solar
system which does make the point: Imagine the line connecting the
Galactic Center to the Sun. Is there a particular reason the Earth
couldn't orbit the Sun in a plane perpendicular to that line, so that
Galactic Center, Sun, and Earth aren't in line over the course of a
single year?

--
Joseph Nebus

ericth...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2009, 12:14:52 PM4/23/09
On Apr 22, 5:44 am, na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance) wrote:
> In rec.arts.sf.written Arthur <art...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > On Apr 22, 3:00B am, Tim Bruening <tsbru...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
> >> On the History channel, I am watching a program about the Maya, who had
> >> a very sophisticated calendar, consisting of a 365 day cycle, a 260 day
> >> cycle, and a long count 5,125 years long! B That long count ends on
> >> December 21, 2012. B At that point, the Maya predict doom! B On December

> >> 21, the sun will line up with the center of the galaxy, and Earth will
> >> complete its 26,000 year wobble.
>
> >> The last page of the Dresden Codex shows a massive amount of water
> >> pouring on the Earth, destroying it. B Perhaps the Antarctic ice cap will
> >> melt on that date.

> >> The Maya had an amazing understanding of time and astronomy.
>
> > Hopefully they had a better understanding of astronomy than the movie
> > about Mayans called Apocalypto. In that movie, there is a full moon
> > the night after a solar eclipse.
>
> Well *yeah* - Shirley some type of Apoca-something is going on if
> it's taking two days for the moon to orbit the Earth.

"Stop calling me Shirley!"

Personally, I'm disappointed. when I heard Mayan Domesday, I was kind
of hoping that this was a Mexican native peoples development project
involving Bucky domes. Now THAT would be far cooler than any silly
prophecy.

Eric Tolle

mimus

Apr 23, 2009, 12:37:58 PM4/23/09
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:47:50 -0400, Joseph Nebus wrote:

> ncw...@hotmail.com writes:
>
>> On 23 Apr, 00:16, Tim Bruening <tsbru...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
>>
>>> I think what is meant is that on December 21, 2012, the Earth, Sun,
>>> and Galactic center will be lined up, I assume with the Sun between

>>> Earth and the galactic center.

>> Err ... That happens every year.
>
> I don't think that necessarily does, actually. Treating the
> Galactic Center as a single point then the inclination of the Earth's
> orbit relative to ... uhm ... well, I can't put into words just what I
> want it inclined to. So let me imagine a slightly different solar
> system which does make the point: Imagine the line connecting the
> Galactic Center to the Sun. Is there a particular reason the Earth
> couldn't orbit the Sun in a plane perpendicular to that line, so that
> Galactic Center, Sun, and Earth aren't in line over the course of a
> single year?

The solar and Galactic ecliptics are certainly _not_ coplanar, nor does
the center of the Galaxy, which is (barely) in Sagittarius, on the border
with Ophiuchus, about five degrees WNW of the "spout" (gamma Sgr) of
Sagittarius' "tea-pot" (asterism), lie on the plane of the solar ecliptic.

--

I wonder what I have been up to.

< _Beyond Apollo_

James Nicoll

Apr 23, 2009, 12:48:43 PM4/23/09
In article <02571f47-ccd9-42cd...@w35g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

Finding the Mayan version of the Domesday Book would be pretty
cool...

--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
http://www.cafepress.com/jdnicoll (For all your "The problem with
defending the English language [...]" T-shirt, cup and tote-bag needs)

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 23, 2009, 12:57:55 PM4/23/09
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:41:36 -0400, Sean O'Hara <sean...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In the Year of the Earth Ox, the Great and Powerful Lawrence
>Watt-Evans declared:
>> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:02:44 -0700 (PDT), Damien Valentine
>> <vale...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> People: this was a civilization that saw chucking a virgin into a well
>>> as the only solution to drought.
>>
>> Waste of a perfectly good virgin.
>>
>But a terrific opportunity for an entrepreneur to provide
>devirginification services.

This is one of those places English gets peculiar -- the correct term
is of course "defloration," rather than "devirginification."

It's like the opposite of "ordained" being "defrocked," rather than
"disordained." Or how the first person form of "wrong" is "mistaken."

I'm selling my comic collection -- see http://www.watt-evans.com/comics.html
I'm serializing a novel at http://www.watt-evans.com/realmsoflight0.html

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 23, 2009, 1:56:50 PM4/23/09
Sean O'Hara wrote:
> In the Year of the Earth Ox, the Great and Powerful Dimensional Traveler
> declared:
>> Christopher Henrich wrote:
>>>>
>>> There's a lot of crap on the History Channel.
>>>
>> A lot of history is crap. :-P
>>
>> (Or is that "A lot of crap is historical"?)
>>

> But a lot of the crap on the History Channel isn't historical.
>
> Unless you're a retard who believes in the DaVinci Code and Roswell.

No, I don't. And yes the History Channel has gone downhill over the
last few years, like the huge majority of the specialist cable channels.

Michael Ikeda

Apr 23, 2009, 6:03:38 PM4/23/09
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in

> In article
> <02571f47-ccd9-42cd...@w35g2000prg.googlegroups.co

> m>,
> <ericth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Apr 22, 5:44 am, na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance)
>>wrote:

>>Personally, I'm disappointed. when I heard Mayan Domesday, I
>>was kind of hoping that this was a Mexican native peoples
>>development project involving Bucky domes. Now THAT would be
>>far cooler than any silly prophecy.
>
> Finding the Mayan version of the Domesday Book would be
> pretty
> cool...

But there's the problem of getting the Mayas across the Atlantic in
the late 11th Century. And they'd probably have a tough time
overthrowing William the Conqueror...

--
Michael Ikeda mmi...@erols.com
"Telling a statistician not to use sampling is like telling an

Greg Goss

Apr 23, 2009, 6:29:53 PM4/23/09
Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:41:36 -0400, Sean O'Hara <sean...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>In the Year of the Earth Ox, the Great and Powerful Lawrence
>>Watt-Evans declared:

>>> Waste of a perfectly good virgin.
>>>
>>But a terrific opportunity for an entrepreneur to provide
>>devirginification services.
>
>This is one of those places English gets peculiar -- the correct term
>is of course "defloration," rather than "devirginification."
>
>It's like the opposite of "ordained" being "defrocked," rather than
>"disordained." Or how the first person form of "wrong" is "mistaken."

If you remove the frock from the virgin, do you hand her flowers to
the priest?
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

Louann Miller

Apr 23, 2009, 7:34:26 PM4/23/09
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in news:75c8f9F17nfc3U1
@mid.individual.net:

>>It's like the opposite of "ordained" being "defrocked," rather than
>>"disordained." Or how the first person form of "wrong" is "mistaken."
>
> If you remove the frock from the virgin, do you hand her flowers to
> the priest?

There was a widow of Westmoreland, she had no daughter but one...

Erik Max Francis

Apr 23, 2009, 8:14:34 PM4/23/09

So you're one of the idiots, too, then, huh?

--
Erik Max Francis && m...@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M, Skype erikmaxfrancis

They love too much that die for love.
-- (an English proverb)

Moriarty

Apr 23, 2009, 8:57:33 PM4/23/09

Four and twenty virgins came down from Inverness...

-Moriarty

William December Starr

Apr 24, 2009, 12:25:43 AM4/24/09
In article <H_CdnYuHRcfOV3PU...@giganews.com>,
mimus <tinmi...@hotmail.com> said:

> William December Starr wrote:
>> Erik Max Francis <m...@alcyone.com> said:

>> that everybody will have to buy new "forever" calendars.
>
> You just flip yer Mayan calendar over, right?

No, that's what everybody did _last_ time. Come 2012, they'll be
used up on _both_ sides.

-- wds

Wayne Throop

Apr 24, 2009, 12:33:59 AM4/24/09
:::: That long count ends on December 21, 2012.
::: that everybody will have to buy new "forever" calendars.
:: You just flip yer Mayan calendar over, right?
: No, that's what everybody did _last_ time. Come 2012, they'll be used
: up on _both_ sides.

Could be worse.

"Gezus Christ!! Th-th-th-that's what I have to work with?
It was..."
"Breathing? Yeah, I think it's evolved over the years."
"The space around the calendar was pulsating, it was
warping the goddamn light around it, it had a heartbeat..."
[...]
"We're screwed! Geezus, Bud!
That thing *knew* we were there, I know it did."

--- Monica and Acacia, discussing what to do with
an ancient Mayan calendar that's been reused 56 times.
http://www.wapsisquare.com/d/20090320.html

mimus

Apr 24, 2009, 2:07:17 AM4/24/09

I like the Toltec version better, round and blank, very _Snark_-like.

--

He had bought a large map representing the sea,
Without the least vestige of land:

"What's the good of Mercator's North Poles and Equators,
Tropics, Zones, and Meridian Lines?"
So the Bellman would cry: and the crew would reply
"They are merely conventional signs!

"Other maps are such shapes, with their islands and capes!
But we've got our brave Captain to thank"
(So the crew would protest) "that he's bought us the best--
A perfect and absolute blank!"

< _The Hunting of the Snark_

Eivind

Apr 24, 2009, 4:33:54 AM4/24/09
Erik Max Francis skreiv:

> An even better one is to wager money with a sucker. Not that someone
> dumb enough to take the bet would ever pay up when the time came.

It depends. I (and around 5 other usenetters) each wagered a 300g
marzipan-pig with a kook on norwegian usenet that spammed us for MONTHS
(if it wasn't years) with zetatalk-rubbish. (the world is going to end
in year 2007, the poles will shift 90 degrees due to "planet X" yadda yadda)

Anyway, he when the world predictably failed to end, he paid up. Atleast
I got my marzipan-pig, and I assume the others did too.

Eivind

Jonathan Schattke

Apr 24, 2009, 8:58:24 AM4/24/09
mimus wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 00:25:43 -0400, William December Starr wrote:
>
>> In article <H_CdnYuHRcfOV3PU...@giganews.com>,
>> mimus <tinmi...@hotmail.com> said:

>>> You just flip yer Mayan calendar over, right?
>> No, that's what everybody did _last_ time. Come 2012, they'll be
>> used up on _both_ sides.
>
> I like the Toltec version better, round and blank, very _Snark_-like.

See, they just needed to make up a Moebius calendar. That way, it has
only a single side and no end.

Walter Bushell

Apr 24, 2009, 4:21:10 PM4/24/09
In article <UPqdncAcLsbdN3LU...@giganews.com>,

Erik Max Francis <m...@alcyone.com> wrote:

> Yes, the Mayan calendar ends on that date. However, it started at BC
> 3114 Aug 11. Is there anything special about that date? Nope, nothing
> to do with alignments, nothing to do with precession of the equinoxes.
> The Mayans surely couldn't know anything about that since the timescale
> of the period is far too long for them to even notice. They had a
> calendar with a start and stop long before and after they thought they'd
> care. So eventually their calendar stopped, long after they care. We
> shouldn't either; there's nothing at all special about that date.
>
> It's a stupid gimmick to help people sell books and movies.

s/movies./movies to stupid people./

Greg Goss

Apr 24, 2009, 10:29:24 PM4/24/09
Eivind <eivin...@gmail.com> wrote:

Are you keeping your eye on
http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/ ?

I'm not strong on Java, but here's what he's using. I don't really
understand the logic.

<script type="text/javascript">
if (!(typeof worldHasEnded == "undefined")) {
document.write("YUP.");
} else {
document.write("NOPE.");
}
</script>

Erik Max Francis

Apr 24, 2009, 10:34:11 PM4/24/09

That's JavaScript, not Java. Either way, it's a simple joke, similar to

http://www.isxkcdshittytoday.com/

Consider, after all, the comment in the source:

<!-- if the lhc actually destroys the earth & this page isn't
yet updated please email mi...@frantic.org to receive a full
refund -->

--
Erik Max Francis && m...@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M, Skype erikmaxfrancis

My land's only borders lie / Around my heart
-- The Russian, _Chess_

Erik Max Francis

Apr 24, 2009, 10:36:04 PM4/24/09

I'm impressed. Most cranks just renege, or challenge people to put up
money but not very surprisingly back off when it starts getting to
specifics.

Raghar

Apr 25, 2009, 11:40:15 AM4/25/09
On Apr 25, 4:34 am, Erik Max Francis <m...@alcyone.com> wrote:
> Greg Goss wrote:

> > Eivind <eivindor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Erik Max Francis skreiv:

> >> It depends. I (and around 5 other usenetters) each wagered a 300g
> >> marzipan-pig with a kook on norwegian usenet that spammed us for MONTHS
> >> (if it wasn't years) with zetatalk-rubbish. (the world is going to end
> >> in year 2007, the poles will shift 90 degrees due to "planet X" yadda yadda)
>
> >> Anyway, he when the world predictably failed to end, he paid up. Atleast
> >> I got my marzipan-pig, and I assume the others did too.
>
> > Are you keeping your eye on
> >http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/?
>
> > I'm not strong on Java, but here's what he's using.  I don't really
> > understand the logic.
>
> > <script type="text/javascript">
> > if (!(typeof worldHasEnded == "undefined")) {
> > document.write("YUP.");
> > } else {
> > document.write("NOPE.");
> > }
> > </script>
>
> That's JavaScript, not Java.  Either way, it's a simple joke, similar to
>
>        http://www.isxkcdshittytoday.com/
>
> Consider, after all, the comment in the source:
>
>         <!-- if the lhc actually destroys the earth & this page isn't
>         yet updated please email m...@frantic.org to receive a full
>         refund -->

It's a simple fraud where a person is trying to avoid its
responsibility by being dead. Quite common. He never thought someone
can have proxy server on the Moon, and thus a judge can obtain proof
of his fraud.

Mike Dworetsky

Apr 26, 2009, 5:54:07 AM4/26/09
"Arthur" <art...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

On Apr 22, 3:00 am, Tim Bruening <tsbru...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
> On the History channel, I am watching a program about the Maya, who had
> a very sophisticated calendar, consisting of a 365 day cycle, a 260 day

> cycle, and a long count 5,125 years long! That long count ends on
> December 21, 2012. At that point, the Maya predict doom! On December

> 21, the sun will line up with the center of the galaxy, and Earth will
> complete its 26,000 year wobble.
>
> The last page of the Dresden Codex shows a massive amount of water
> pouring on the Earth, destroying it. Perhaps the Antarctic ice cap will

> melt on that date.
>
> The Maya had an amazing understanding of time and astronomy.

Hopefully they had a better understanding of astronomy than the movie
about Mayans called Apocalypto. In that movie, there is a full moon
the night after a solar eclipse.

MD:

A recent episode of the new "Robin Hood" series on BBC goes one better, with
Robin enabled to rescue his Merry Men from execution by the Sheriff through
the timely intervention of a (very speeded up) total solar eclipse (handy
that: usually there is never one around when you really need it). This is
followed by Robin gesturing triumphantly at the Sheriff and his henchmen
from the battlements of Nottingham Castle, with a waxing gibbous moon
plainly visible over his shoulder in a clear blue sky.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Tim Bruening

Apr 26, 2009, 8:27:18 AM4/26/09

Raghar wrote:

How do you have a proxy server on the Moon? No one has visited the Moon since well
before the Internet took off!

artfu...@yahoo.com

Apr 26, 2009, 11:05:11 AM4/26/09
On Apr 22, 2:51 am, Tim Bruening <tsbru...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
 On December

> 21, the sun will line up with the center of the galaxy, and Earth will

> complete its 26,000 year wobble.  Maybe a wormhole will form.

Any two points are always 'lined up.'

The lining up of planets, called syzygy (great Scrabble word) needs
three or more to be of any interest. Gravity is such a relatively
weak force, that it never makes any difference.

How do you go from 'line up' to 'wormhole?'

Walter Bushell

Apr 26, 2009, 12:34:36 PM4/26/09
In article <12404...@sheol.org>, thr...@sheol.org (Wayne Throop)
wrote:

> I wonder if the gag will be recycled for when the unix epoch
> rolls over 32 bits. Instead of Y2K, Sec2^32. At least then, there's
> *some* argument for why it might be of some vague significance.

<http://xkcd.com/571/>

In case anyone here is not following.

Walter Bushell

Apr 26, 2009, 6:03:32 PM4/26/09
In article <49F45326...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us>,
Tim Bruening <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

> How do you have a proxy server on the Moon? No one has visited the Moon
> since well
> before the Internet took off!

Truly and event out of time, like the Norse discovering America. The
economics were not right and so it lead to nothing.

David Mitchell

Apr 27, 2009, 7:42:05 AM4/27/09

a8ea-153...@m19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com...

> On Apr 22, 3:00 am, Tim Bruening <tsbru...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
>> On the History channel, I am watching a program about the Maya, who had
>> a very sophisticated calendar, consisting of a 365 day cycle, a 260 day
>> cycle, and a long count 5,125 years long! That long count ends on
>> December 21, 2012. At that point, the Maya predict doom! On December
>> 21, the sun will line up with the center of the galaxy, and Earth will
>> complete its 26,000 year wobble.
>>
>> The last page of the Dresden Codex shows a massive amount of water
>> pouring on the Earth, destroying it. Perhaps the Antarctic ice cap will
>> melt on that date.
>>
>> The Maya had an amazing understanding of time and astronomy.
>
> Hopefully they had a better understanding of astronomy than the movie
> about Mayans called Apocalypto. In that movie, there is a full moon the
> night after a solar eclipse.

> MD:
>
> A recent episode of the new "Robin Hood" series on BBC goes one better,
> with Robin enabled to rescue his Merry Men from execution by the Sheriff
> through the timely intervention of a (very speeded up) total solar
> eclipse

In contrast with the one on "Heroes" recently which had a totality for
what seemed like hours.

= David --- If you use Microsoft products, you will, inevitably, get
= Mitchell --- viruses, so please don't add me to your address book.

Tim Bruening

Apr 27, 2009, 3:09:38 PM4/27/09

David Mitchell wrote:

A 1999 Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode featured a total solar eclipse in
Sunnydale in Southern California. I searched NASA's website but could find no
indication of an eclipse in California that year.

Blank

Apr 28, 2009, 9:56:44 AM4/28/09

I think you're confusing totality with tedium.

-- jz

Blank

Apr 28, 2009, 10:12:03 AM4/28/09
Jon Schild wrote:
> To start with, the sun is always lined up with the center of the
> galaxy. Any two points in the universe are always lined up with each
> other. So "The sun will line up with the center of the galaxy" is just
> utter nonsense.
>
> In the second place, I don't know why so many mystical types are smart
> enough to notice that ALL calendar cycles come to and end, and then
> start over, but assume that somehow this long count will end and the
> whole universe will collapse. Utter bullshit.
>
> ABSOLUTELY NO CATASTROPHE WILL HAPPEN.
>
> I bet you hid in your basement so Y2K wouldn't get you, didn't you?

Please do not be so disparaging about end-of-the-world disaster myths.
We find it helps to have the nutters get out into the fresh air, even if
it is only once every 5,000 years or so.

-- jz
Secretary for the press office of the Secret Order of the Illumina-

Oh bugger. I keep doing that. Ignore the sig, pse.

> Tim Bruening wrote:
>> On the History channel, I am watching a program about the Maya, who had

>> a very sophisticated calander, consisting of a 365 day cycle, a 260 day

>> cycle, and a long count 5,125 years long! That long count ends on
>> December 21, 2012. At that point, the Maya predict doom! On December
>> 21, the sun will line up with the center of the galaxy, and Earth will

Arthur

Apr 28, 2009, 2:22:11 PM4/28/09
On Apr 27, 3:09 pm, Tim Bruening <tsbru...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

> A 1999 Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode featured a total solar eclipse in
> Sunnydale in Southern California.  I searched NASA's website but could find no
> indication of an eclipse in California that year.

I'll bet if you searched the news you wouldn't find any indication of
vampires being slayed that year either.

Tim Bruening

Apr 28, 2009, 2:36:06 PM4/28/09

Arthur wrote:

Buffy has been keeping vampires a secret, but you can't hide a solar eclipse.

Damien Valentine

Apr 29, 2009, 7:32:07 PM4/29/09
On Apr 28, 9:12 am, Blank <bl...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Please do not be so disparaging about end-of-the-world disaster myths.
> We find it helps to have the nutters get out into the fresh air, even if
> it is only once every 5,000 years or so.

Only every 5,000 years? Seems to me I can't go 5 without somebody
claiming it's the end of the world again. I don't think all this
fresh air is doing the nutters much good.

TBerk

Apr 30, 2009, 6:16:02 PM4/30/09

How did _this_ get out? (Heads will roll....) Well, it's actually a
relief.

Now if we can only switch over to locked laser for transmission, but
even so- the latency is a b^tch.

TBerk

fake-name

May 11, 2009, 3:41:25 AM5/11/09

Were the vampires and assorted other monsters really "a secret" though ?

Didn't at least one episode imply that people in general knew
*something* was going on - but chose to pretend it wasn't ?

fake-name

May 11, 2009, 3:46:03 AM5/11/09

presumably via some form of "Jupiter effect" ?

Matthew Malthouse

May 11, 2009, 3:42:20 PM5/11/09
On Mon, 11 May 2009 08:46:03 +0100, fake-name
<fake...@fake-address.example.com> wrote:

> > The lining up of planets, called syzygy (great Scrabble word)

You'd nbeed a blank though.

Matthew