_The_Hot_Gate_ by John Ringo

Lynn McGuire

May 18, 2012, 3:48:06 PM5/18/12
_The_Hot_Gate_ by John Ringo
http://www.amazon.com/The-Hot-Gate-Troy-Rising/dp/1451638183/

Ah, Space Opera ! My true love, Urban Fantasy is
just a very interesting sideline. Give me space
ships, marines, lasers, nuclear bombs, nuclear
propulsion, we've got it all here.

In this story, the Solar System is becoming an armed
camp of ... space junk ? Every time they go for a
shuttle drive, they've got to be careful to avoid the
crap left from the previous invasion / conquer
attempts by the Bad Boys of Outer Space (tm). Sounds
like real life to me.

My rating: 4 out 5 stars
Amazon rating: 3.5 out 5 stars (47 reviews)

Lynn

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

May 18, 2012, 5:46:15 PM5/18/12
In article <jp691t$r68$1...@dont-email.me>, Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote:
>_The_Hot_Gate_ by John Ringo
> http://www.amazon.com/The-Hot-Gate-Troy-Rising/dp/1451638183/
>
>Ah, Space Opera ! My true love, Urban Fantasy is
>just a very interesting sideline. Give me space
>ships, marines, lasers, nuclear bombs, nuclear
>propulsion, we've got it all here.
>
>In this story, the Solar System is becoming an armed
>camp of ... space junk ? Every time they go for a
>shuttle drive, they've got to be careful to avoid the
>crap left from the previous invasion / conquer
>attempts by the Bad Boys of Outer Space (tm). Sounds
>like real life to me.

I couldn't figure out why the big guy (I forget his name, but the
maple sugar magnate) seemed to be writing himself out of the picture
with all his talk about getting old, and not being around to see what
he was talking to all the kids about. He has no hold barred access to
galactic medtech, and we heard first hand about all vision correction,
hearing restoral etc he got the first time around.

Fun stuff though.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Lynn McGuire

May 18, 2012, 6:33:44 PM5/18/12
Tyler Vernon.

If you fix all the small aging problems with the
human body then I suspect that you get to a point
and then fall off a cliff. Probably around age 120
or so. Or could galactic nanomachines and
technology keep you alive to 600 years like in
Weber's Mutineer's Moon ?

Vernon's problem is that like Alexander the Great
who supposedly wept when he realized that he had no
more lands to conquer, he has done everything and
seen everything. After all, Tyler Vernon is the
human race's first trillionaire. I do like the
concept of using a small cruiser as a space yacht.

I never got a good time sense for the book but
is it set in 2040 ? Vernon is 80 ? 90 ? 100 ?

Definitely fun stuff.

Lynn

David DeLaney

May 18, 2012, 8:04:49 PM5/18/12
Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote:
>If you fix all the small aging problems with the
>human body then I suspect that you get to a point
>and then fall off a cliff. Probably around age 120
>or so. Or could galactic nanomachines and
>technology keep you alive to 600 years like in
>Weber's Mutineer's Moon ?

Have you heard of the wonderful one-hoss shay,
That was built in such a logical way
It ran a hundred years to a day,
And then, of a sudden, it -- ah, but stay,
I'll tell you what happened without delay,
Scaring the parson into fits,
Frightening people out of their wits, --
Have you ever heard of that, I say?

Dave "that was the year when Lisbon-town / saw the Earth open and gulp her
down" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Dan Goodman

May 18, 2012, 7:57:24 PM5/18/12
On 05/18/2012 05:33 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Vernon's problem is that like Alexander the Great
> who supposedly wept when he realized that he had no
> more lands to conquer, he has done everything and
> seen everything.

Isn't the universe large enough to present at least a few other
possibilities?

--
Dan Goodman

Wayne Throop

May 18, 2012, 8:12:04 PM5/18/12
:: Lynn McGuire
:: Vernon's problem is that like Alexander the Great who supposedly wept
:: when he realized that he had no more lands to conquer, he has done
:: everything and seen everything.

I... don't quite see it that way. First of all, he hasn't yet seen
his currently-primary goal acheived; the earth safe from military
conquest, so that his daughters and sundry aquaintances can avoid
being vaporized, or biowarfared into slaves. And he's seen only
a small, small, teeny, teeny, tiny portion of the galaxy.

: Dan Goodman <dsg...@iphouse.com>
: Isn't the universe large enough to present at least a few other
: possibilities?

Yeah, I'd say so.

Also, the bit about him having access to galactic medtech; I thought
one of the earlier books mentioned something about nobody researching
human biology enough to stabilize it indefinitely. So the one hoss shay
thing is appropriate; you can keep putting finger after finger in the
levee, but eventually the flood's gonna gitcha.

Chicka-chicka choo-wah, never gonna stop!
--- Phineas and Ferb, "Gitchee Gitchee Goo"

Instant karma's gonna get you
Gonna kick you right in the head
You better get yourself together
Pretty soon you're gonna be dead
--- John Lennon, "Instant Karma"

William December Starr

May 18, 2012, 8:22:07 PM5/18/12
In article <jp6iof$nth$1...@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> said:

> Vernon's problem is that like Alexander the Great
> who supposedly wept when he realized that he had no
> more lands to conquer, he has done everything and
> seen everything.

Time travel!

(Hey, it got Lazarus Long out of _his_ funk.)

-- wds

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

May 18, 2012, 9:12:35 PM5/18/12
In article <13373...@sheol.org>, Wayne Throop <thr...@sheol.org> wrote:
>:: Lynn McGuire
>:: Vernon's problem is that like Alexander the Great who supposedly wept
>:: when he realized that he had no more lands to conquer, he has done
>:: everything and seen everything.
>
>I... don't quite see it that way. First of all, he hasn't yet seen
>his currently-primary goal acheived; the earth safe from military
>conquest, so that his daughters and sundry aquaintances can avoid
>being vaporized, or biowarfared into slaves. And he's seen only
>a small, small, teeny, teeny, tiny portion of the galaxy.
>
>: Dan Goodman <dsg...@iphouse.com>
>: Isn't the universe large enough to present at least a few other
>: possibilities?
>
>Yeah, I'd say so.
>
>Also, the bit about him having access to galactic medtech; I thought
>one of the earlier books mentioned something about nobody researching
>human biology enough to stabilize it indefinitely. So the one hoss shay
>thing is appropriate; you can keep putting finger after finger in the
>levee, but eventually the flood's gonna gitcha.

I don't recall that bit, but really if it is there, it's put paid by all
the *very specific* human genome modifications done at a drop of the hat
by the bad guys.

Tim McDaniel

May 18, 2012, 10:25:20 PM5/18/12
In article <jp6p3f$fnj$1...@panix3.panix.com>,