_Darkship Revenge_ by Sarah Hoyt

Lynn McGuire

Apr 18, 2018, 9:50:50 PM4/18/18
_Darkship Revenge_ by Sarah Hoyt
https://www.amazon.com/Darkship-Revenge-Sarah-Hoyt/dp/1476781923/

Book number five of a five book paranormal space opera series. I read
the well formatted and bound trade paperback from Baen. I am fairly
sure that there will be one or more books in the series to come in the
future.

Elves in Space ! ! ! Does it get any cooler than that ?

300+ years in the future, the Earth is all screwed up. The Biolords in
the 21st century gen-engineered plagues and people to meet their needs.
The results were the desertification of Europe and the "Good Men". Yet
people being people, people are warring and thriving to beat the band.
And the Usaian cult has successfully risen to take most of North
American back. But not all of the Biolords plagues have been seen yet.

The author has a very popular and active libertarian blog at:
https://accordingtohoyt.com/

My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars (41 reviews)

Lynn

Moriarty

Apr 18, 2018, 10:48:56 PM4/18/18
On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 11:50:50 AM UTC+10, Lynn McGuire wrote:

<snip>

> Elves in Space ! ! ! Does it get any cooler than that ?

Yes!

https://www.amazon.com/Amish-Vampires-Space-Kerry-Nietz/dp/0983965552

-Moriarty

Lynn McGuire

Apr 19, 2018, 12:01:27 PM4/19/18
Uh, no. Vampires in space are not cool.

Lynn

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 19, 2018, 1:12:31 PM4/19/18
Not even sparkly love-interest Amish Vampires?

instinct are running screaming.

Kevrob

Apr 19, 2018, 1:24:41 PM4/19/18
On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 1:12:31 PM UTC-4, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 4/19/2018 9:01 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > On 4/18/2018 9:48 PM, Moriarty wrote:
> >> On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 11:50:50 AM UTC+10, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> Yes!
> >>
> >> https://www.amazon.com/Amish-Vampires-Space-Kerry-Nietz/dp/0983965552
> >>
> >> -Moriarty
> >
> > Uh, no.  Vampires in space are not cool.
> >
> Not even sparkly love-interest Amish Vampires?

So, if a Terran vampire visits a different star-system,
and stands on a planet in the full light of day, will he
burst into flame or turn to dust or whatever, or because
that star (or stars) is/are not "The Sun" - old Sol - will
he be unscathed?

Going back to 1965, there was "Planet of The Vampires."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Vampires

Also a 1970s comic book series from Martin Goodman's ATLAS
COMICS (aka Seaboard.)

https://oldschoolheretic.blogspot.com/2010/08/planet-of-vampires.html

Kevin R

-dsr-

Apr 20, 2018, 11:08:05 AM4/20/18
On 2018-04-19, Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 1:12:31 PM UTC-4, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>> > Uh, no.  Vampires in space are not cool.
>> >
>> Not even sparkly love-interest Amish Vampires?
>
> So, if a Terran vampire visits a different star-system,
> and stands on a planet in the full light of day, will he
> burst into flame or turn to dust or whatever, or because
> that star (or stars) is/are not "The Sun" - old Sol - will
> he be unscathed?

Is the difference between sunlight and starlight
purely a matter of intensity? Or does standing in
starlight generated by Sol, n lightyears off, still
count?

-dsr-

Robert Carnegie

Apr 20, 2018, 4:07:12 PM4/20/18
The Sol of the vampire's homeland should have a special effect.
(And this show is all about the special effects.)

Peter Trei

Apr 20, 2018, 4:46:18 PM4/20/18
I think we could come up with a Krypton type solution here...

Why didn't Supes lose his powers at night or indoors, anyway?

pt

Moriarty

Apr 20, 2018, 4:49:14 PM4/20/18
What about van Gogh?

-Moriarty

Robert Carnegie

Apr 20, 2018, 4:57:47 PM4/20/18
"The answer to your first question is shaddap" as I recall -
although that was in a different comic.

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 20, 2018, 5:22:36 PM4/20/18
The current answer is because he's a big freaking battery.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 20, 2018, 6:48:39 PM4/20/18
In article <5e459464-5452-4c59...@googlegroups.com>,
How about a Van Vogt story about vampire van Gogh? Vanilla? Then
how about Vance?
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Lynn McGuire

Apr 20, 2018, 11:12:14 PM4/20/18
No idea. But I am reading a book about vampires in New Orleans right
now. Very cool.

Lynn

Moriarty

Apr 20, 2018, 11:42:20 PM4/20/18
You've never read this?

https://www.amazon.com/Van-Gogh-Space-Infinity-City/dp/0595140769

Rectify that lapse now.

-Moriarty

Robert Carnegie

Apr 21, 2018, 5:06:12 AM4/21/18
Maybe finish reading the other book first? Or is it that critical...

Lynn McGuire

Apr 23, 2018, 12:46:25 PM4/23/18
Sorry, no freaking way. That combination just appears to be abhorrent.

Lynn

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 24, 2018, 6:55:25 AM4/24/18
You avoided the trap! The author used to flog his AWESOME!!! and
AMAZING!!! story of VAN GOGH IN SPACE ! ! ! to this group back in the
90s, becoming a by-word for "really, really bad stuff".

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Kevrob

Apr 24, 2018, 3:55:25 PM4/24/18
On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 5:22:36 PM UTC-4, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 4/20/2018 1:57 PM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> > On Friday, 20 April 2018 21:46:18 UTC+1, Peter Trei wrote:
> >> On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 4:07:12 PM UTC-4, Robert Carnegie wrote:

> >> I think we could come up with a Krypton type solution here...
> >>
> >> Why didn't Supes lose his powers at night or indoors, anyway?

Kryptonians are so dense under they absorb neutrinos from
yellow suns* and convert them into stored energy?

> > "The answer to your first question is shaddap" as I recall -
> > although that was in a different comic.
> >
> The current answer is because he's a big freaking battery.

Kevin R

* and other flavors, with different different power levels.