YASID: Aliens disprove Goldbach's conjecture

Moriarty

Apr 28, 2016, 7:15:00 PM4/28/16
Over in sci.math in a thread started by a crank pushing his "proof" of the Goldbach conjecture for all numbers divisible by 12, someone chimed in with this:

"There was a sci-fi short story I recall reading years ago, where an
alien race builds a quantum supercomputer specifically to do "proofs" of
that type.

They do it by using exotic matter to construct a "pocket universe" the
properties of which they can define, and one of the properties is they
set Planck's constant to be as small as possible. They disprove
Goldbach's conjecture then by noting that there's a counterexample
around the order of 10^43.

They then decide that they want to prove all conjectures of this type
with "proofs by inspection", simply by lowering Planck's constant to
zero and immediately examining all integers out to infinity. But then
bad stuff happens... "

Anyone?

-Moriarty

patmp...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2016, 7:28:29 PM4/28/16
This is the only Universe in which the Riemann Hypothesis is true. It's pure luck! There is no reason, so it can't be proved.

When asked what it's like here, I say "People go crazy trying to prove it!" They all gasp.

Butch Malahide

Apr 28, 2016, 10:42:57 PM4/28/16
I'm trying to find the original of the comment you quoted. Could you kindly
provide the url or the title of that crank thread, or the user name of the
crank or the commenter? Thanks.

Butch Malahide

Apr 28, 2016, 10:48:18 PM4/28/16

Moriarty

Apr 28, 2016, 11:18:29 PM4/28/16

Moriarty

Apr 28, 2016, 11:23:57 PM4/28/16
That sounds like it, thanks.

-Moriarty

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 29, 2016, 9:52:24 AM4/29/16
So if you changed the Planck Length so that it was equal to one of my
footsteps, would I be walking the Planck?

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Juho Julkunen

Apr 29, 2016, 9:56:51 AM4/29/16
In article <nfvoo7$5q7$2...@dont-email.me>, sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com
says...

> So if you changed the Planck Length so that it was equal to one of my
> footsteps, would I be walking the Planck?

After that comment, certainly.

--
Juho Julkunen
He who would pun would pick a pocket

Brian M. Scott

Apr 29, 2016, 3:35:01 PM4/29/16
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 09:52:21 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E.
Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote
in<news:nfvoo7$5q7$2...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:
ħa ħa ħa

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered

Alie...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2016, 8:57:41 PM4/29/16
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 4:15:00 PM UTC-7, Moriarty wrote:
> Over in sci.math in a thread started by a crank pushing his "proof" of the
> Goldbach conjecture for all numbers divisible by 12

Does the OP go by the nym Jamie? If so, he's doing it over in sci electronics design, too. His choice of newsgroups is weird...

> someone chimed in with this:
>
> "There was a sci-fi short story

(Baxter's _Planck Zero_)

Another author I Will Reread for his big ideas.

Mark L. Fergerson

Brian M. Scott

Apr 29, 2016, 11:17:56 PM4/29/16
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 17:57:38 -0700 (PDT), "nu...@bid.nes"
<Alie...@gmail.com> wrote
in<news:a658dcee-f59f-4dba...@googlegroups.com>
in rec.arts.sf.written:

> On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 4:15:00 PM UTC-7, Moriarty
> wrote:

>> Over in sci.math in a thread started by a crank pushing
>> his "proof" of the Goldbach conjecture for all numbers
>> divisible by 12

> Does the OP go by the nym Jamie? If so, he's doing it
> over in sci electronics design, too. His choice of
> newsgroups is weird...

I just took a look, and it appears that he does: Jamie M,
signing his posts Jamie.

>> someone chimed in with this:

>> "There was a sci-fi short story

> (Baxter's _Planck Zero_)

> Another author I Will Reread for his big ideas.

I tried one of his novels once -- I don’t remember which
one -- and it put me off him completely. I might be
willing to read speculative NON-fiction about his big
ideas, but his fiction leaves me cold.

Gene Wirchenko

May 1, 2016, 7:24:25 PM5/1/16
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 09:52:21 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

[snip]

> So if you changed the Planck Length so that it was equal to one of my
>footsteps, would I be walking the Planck?

Planking is silly.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko