[because my tears are delicious to you] Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker by Alan Dean Foster & George Lucas

James Nicoll

May 20, 2018, 10:00:10 AM5/20/18
Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker by Alan Dean Foster & George Lucas

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/never-venture-out-among-the-asteroids

Jaimie Vandenbergh

May 20, 2018, 10:14:09 AM5/20/18
On Sun, 20 May 2018 14:00:07 +0000 (UTC), jdni...@panix.com (James
Nicoll) wrote:

>Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker by Alan Dean Foster & George Lucas
>
>https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/never-venture-out-among-the-asteroids

Wait... you have an editor who tinkers with stuff you publish on your
own website? This is impressively self-aware. Good job.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Real Daleks don't climb the stairs - real Daleks level the building.

James Nicoll

May 20, 2018, 10:50:44 AM5/20/18
In article <uj03gd9a15on8h2oj...@4ax.com>,
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>On Sun, 20 May 2018 14:00:07 +0000 (UTC), jdni...@panix.com (James
>Nicoll) wrote:
>
>>Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker by Alan Dean Foster &
>George Lucas
>>
>>https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/never-venture-out-among-the-asteroids
>
>Wait... you have an editor who tinkers with stuff you publish on your
>own website? This is impressively self-aware. Good job.

After I launched my own site, I very quickly discovered I am unable to
edit my own material because I see what I intended to write and not the
word salad I actually wrote.

Quadibloc

May 21, 2018, 7:55:11 AM5/21/18
My memory must be playing tricks on me, as I thought the copies of that book I
saw did credit Alan Dean Foster on the cover or somewhere.

I certainly wouldn't have trusted myself to recognize him based on his writing
style. I could, however, simply have learned of his involvement from a review of
the book, or due to a sequel on which he was credited.

The book was also - very unusual for a novel these days, although common in ages
past - serialized in my local newspaper. I thought it was very unusual that the
robots were Artoo Detoo and See Threepio instead of R2-D2 and C-3PO; presumably
it was to make a point that humanoid aliens long ago in a galaxy far away
wouldn't use the same alphabet as we do.

John Savard

Quadibloc

May 21, 2018, 8:00:25 AM5/21/18
On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 8:00:10 AM UTC-6, James Nicoll wrote:
> Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker by Alan Dean Foster & George
> Lucas

> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/never-venture-out-among-the-asteroids

I loved the movie, considering it to be one of the greatest movies ever made.
Well, from a viewpoint of sheer entertainment, not from the Great Cinema
perspective, obviously.

As for robot slavery, we are meant to suspend disbelief for the sake of the plot. Weisinger-era Superman comic books also discriminated against machine intelligences horribly.

John Savard

Richard Hershberger

May 21, 2018, 8:50:09 AM5/21/18
Had anyone asked me who novelized Star Wars, I would said of course if was Alan Dean Foster. But I can't tell you why I knew this. Perhaps it was simply because he did so much of this sort of work. Back in the day, I thought of him as someone who wrote novelizations, plus some of his own stuff. Going back a few years before that, I was startled when I first realized that James Blish was a name in his own right, and didn't just novelize Start Trek scripts.

Richard R. Hershberger