One classic, and one not-yet-classic perhaps coming to TV/Film

Scott Lurndal

Nov 30, 2016, 1:53:17 PM11/30/16
Heinlein's _Stranger in a Strange Land_ on Syfy (TV)
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/16/syfy-adapt-stranger-strange-land/

Rothfuss' _Kingkiller Chronicles_ by Lionsgate:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/29/13779242/lin-manuel-miranda-lionsgate-kingkiller-chronicle-patrick-rothfuss

Given syfy's current programming, I doubt their version of SiaSL will
be any good = but one can hope.

As for _Kingkiller Chronicles_, they're decent fantasy, but I'd sooner
see Sagara's _House War_/_Sun Sword_ or even the _Wheel of Time_ first.

hamis...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2016, 5:59:30 PM11/30/16
The actresses refuse to do that much tugging on their braids...

David Johnston

Nov 30, 2016, 6:11:34 PM11/30/16
Wheel of Time? "In this episode a proud girl gets spanked. Again."

Robert Bannister

Nov 30, 2016, 7:21:11 PM11/30/16
A movie of the Kingkiller Chronicles? Does that mean Rothfuss has plans
to finish the series this century.

--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972

Dimensional Traveler

Nov 30, 2016, 8:03:11 PM11/30/16
Source material's lack of an ending has never been an impediment to TV
or movie production. Mostly because they never really follow the source
material in the first place.

As for 'Stranger in a Strange Land', the article starts out: "Syfy has
announced plans to adapt Robert Heinlein’s 1961 novel Stranger in a
Strange Land as a television series." Which means they've written a
check to Heinlein's estate and that's it. No script, no producers, no
casting, just a "we're going to see if this will fly". Personally, let
me know when they get some talent signed on in ten years or so.

--
Running the rec.arts.TV Channels Watched Survey.
Fall 2016 survey began Sep 01 and will end Nov 30

Moriarty

Nov 30, 2016, 9:14:11 PM11/30/16
That didn't get in the way of the makers of "Game of Thrones".

-Moriarty

Mike Dworetsky

Dec 1, 2016, 4:32:16 AM12/1/16
Back in the 1970s, a friend who was a secretary at a Hollywood studio knew
of my interest in SF and my fandom of Heinlein, and asked me to look at a
script they had received (presumably commissioned) for SiaSL, which I did as
a favour. It was quickly obvious that the writer had started with
considerable changes to Heinlein's premise and then suffered from some sort
of mental breakdown. The last I heard was that the project was abandoned.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Will in New Haven

Dec 1, 2016, 1:49:57 PM12/1/16
And in the next episode, our protagonist won't destroy a mass-murdering demon because it is shaped like a girl. Again.

--
Will now in Pompano Beach
"Well, I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time

hamis...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2016, 5:31:43 PM12/1/16
On Friday, December 2, 2016 at 5:49:57 AM UTC+11, Will in New Haven wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 6:11:34 PM UTC-5, David Johnston wrote:
> > On 11/30/2016 11:53 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> > > Heinlein's _Stranger in a Strange Land_ on Syfy (TV)
> > > http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/16/syfy-adapt-stranger-strange-land/
> > >
> > > Rothfuss' _Kingkiller Chronicles_ by Lionsgate:
> > > http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/29/13779242/lin-manuel-miranda-lionsgate-kingkiller-chronicle-patrick-rothfuss
> > >
> > > Given syfy's current programming, I doubt their version of SiaSL will
> > > be any good = but one can hope.
> > >
> > > As for _Kingkiller Chronicles_, they're decent fantasy, but I'd sooner
> > > see Sagara's _House War_/_Sun Sword_ or even the _Wheel of Time_ first.
> > >

> > Wheel of Time? "In this episode a proud girl gets spanked. Again."
>
> And in the next episode, our protagonist won't destroy a mass-murdering demon because it is shaped like a girl. Again.

To be fair it's pretty clear that was one of the main symptoms of his madness caused by being a male channeler

Robert Bannister

Dec 1, 2016, 9:29:10 PM12/1/16
All good points.

Robert Bannister

Dec 1, 2016, 9:31:25 PM12/1/16
Don't get me started on Martin. He claims to be cross that he couldn't
get his final book published before the final TV series, but it seemed
to me he could have started writing it a bit earlier. I'm still waiting
for that final book that I want to read before I take the wrapper of my
blu-ray.