Monster Hunter International, by Larry Correia

A.G.McDowell

May 25, 2015, 3:00:00 PM5/25/15
This reminds me of a scrap of dialogue along the lines of "I'm only
sorry that I only get to kill the bastard once". It seems that hunting
monsters involves multiple shots at close range with a variety of
apparently charismatic but - for this purpose - not particularly
effective firearms. The result is a book which contains a very large
proportion of action scenes: if it was a movie, it would definitely be
an action movie - but not a brainless one. The action scenes leave less
room than usual for plot, and there is far more discovery than
deduction, but there's some nice quick reassessment of motives and
intentions at the climax, and while the world-building doesn't have the
apparent consistency of good Science Fiction, I don't demand that from
Fantasy, and it does show a sense of humour that I found very
entertaining (and I expect that I don't know enough about the fact and
fiction of the American South to spot all of the jokes).

Got this from the Baen Free Library - I'd previously read the
introduction free and decided not to buy it, because I'd like a little
more discussion and description between explosions, but if Baen want to
make a series starter freely available, I'm more than happy to spend a
Bank Holiday weekend enjoying it, and thank them for it here!.

Joe Pfeiffer

May 25, 2015, 10:41:56 PM5/25/15
I'm reading it at the moment (it's also free for Kindle right now) --
accurate review. One other thing to mention is that it's a lot of fun.

Ahasuerus

May 25, 2015, 10:53:42 PM5/25/15
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 3:00:00 PM UTC-4, A.G.McDowell wrote:
> This reminds me of a scrap of dialogue along the lines of "I'm only
> sorry that I only get to kill the bastard once". It seems that hunting
> monsters involves multiple shots at close range with a variety of
> apparently charismatic but - for this purpose - not particularly
> effective firearms. The result is a book which contains a very large
> proportion of action scenes: if it was a movie, it would definitely be
> an action movie - but not a brainless one. The action scenes leave less
> room than usual for plot, and there is far more discovery than
> deduction, but there's some nice quick reassessment of motives and
> intentions at the climax, and while the world-building doesn't have the
> apparent consistency of good Science Fiction, I don't demand that from
> Fantasy, and it does show a sense of humour that I found very
> entertaining (and I expect that I don't know enough about the fact and
> fiction of the American South to spot all of the jokes). [snip]

The last two r.a.sf.w discussions of MHI --
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.sf.written/uH2s9P3OGfg
and
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.sf.written/4iKXiwcuYGs
-- suggest that different people view these books very differently.
Shocking, I know :)

A.G.McDowell

May 26, 2015, 12:43:37 AM5/26/15
Thanks for those links. I did remember there had been some fuss and
after reading the book I tried to Google to see what I was supposed to
be annoyed at, but didn't think to look in rec.arts.sf.written. A quick
scan suggests to me that this comes under "There's no accounting for
taste".