[A Year of Waterloo Region Speculative Fiction] Icarus Down by James Bow

James Nicoll

Apr 21, 2017, 10:37:41 AM4/21/17

David Johnston

Apr 21, 2017, 1:28:52 PM4/21/17
On 4/21/2017 8:37 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> Icarus Down by James Bow
>
> http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cover-me-in-pretty-lies

Honestly naming a starship "Icarus" is like naming one "Titanic".

James Nicoll

Apr 21, 2017, 2:43:59 PM4/21/17
In article <oddfai$566$1...@dont-email.me>,
OK, I think I see why my kickstarter for the generation ship CERTAIN
DOOM didn't work.

Greg Goss

Apr 21, 2017, 10:17:36 PM4/21/17
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

>In article <oddfai$566$1...@dont-email.me>,
>David Johnston <davidjo...@block.com> wrote:
>>On 4/21/2017 8:37 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>>> Icarus Down by James Bow
>>>
>>> http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cover-me-in-pretty-lies
>>>
>>Honestly naming a starship "Icarus" is like naming one "Titanic".
>
>OK, I think I see why my kickstarter for the generation ship CERTAIN
>DOOM didn't work.

Well, I think that any megaproject involving Nicoll is "certain doom"
regardless of its name.

http://dd-b.net/NicollEvents/

James Nicoll

Apr 21, 2017, 11:43:26 PM4/21/17
In article <elvspt...@mid.individual.net>,
I haven't died, though. Well, not often.

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 22, 2017, 12:15:12 PM4/22/17
On 4/21/2017 8:43 PM, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <elvspt...@mid.individual.net>,
> Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:
>> jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

>>> OK, I think I see why my kickstarter for the generation ship CERTAIN
>>> DOOM didn't work.
>>
>> Well, I think that any megaproject involving Nicoll is "certain doom"
>> regardless of its name.
>>
>> http://dd-b.net/NicollEvents/
>
> I haven't died, though. Well, not often.

What I find amazing is that apparently no one around you has died during
any of your Events.

--
Some days you just don't have enough middle fingers!

James Nicoll

Apr 22, 2017, 9:43:40 PM4/22/17
In article <odfvcf$bcl$1...@dont-email.me>,
Yeah, I wish that was true. One of the worst moments I had involved
checking on someone's bf to see why they weren't returning emails,
or rather the phone call I had to make once I got the answer was the
worst moment.

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 23, 2017, 12:27:45 PM4/23/17
My sympathies.

Gene Wirchenko

Apr 23, 2017, 11:22:34 PM4/23/17
On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 01:43:39 +0000 (UTC), jdni...@panix.com (James
Nicoll) wrote:

>In article <odfvcf$bcl$1...@dont-email.me>,
>Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

[snip]

>>What I find amazing is that apparently no one around you has died during
>>any of your Events.
>
>Yeah, I wish that was true. One of the worst moments I had involved
>checking on someone's bf to see why they weren't returning emails,
>or rather the phone call I had to make once I got the answer was the
>worst moment.

On a related note, one of the advantages of USENET over forums is
that the newsgroup will not be discontinued because someone dies. I
used a nice WordStar forum for a while. One day, it was not there
anymore. Apparently, the woman who had registered the domain name had
died.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Cryptoengineer

Apr 23, 2017, 11:59:07 PM4/23/17
Gene Wirchenko <ge...@telus.net> wrote in
Sigh.

Unfortunately, this applies to all fora which are owned by a single
entity, whether personal or corporate.

I've been active on Reddit lately, which has many of the properties
of Usenet, with a much larger active user base.

But Reddit could go tits-up and all content deleted. Usenet is very,
very hard to kill.

pt

J. Clarke

Apr 24, 2017, 6:36:42 AM4/24/17
In article <XnsA760F3EEE8...@216.166.97.131>,
treif...@gmail.com says...
In a recent event, Amazon decided to kill the Internet Movie Database fora.
Just one example.

James Nicoll

Apr 24, 2017, 7:58:43 AM4/24/17
In article <odikfv$f4f$1...@dont-email.me>,
The plus side was, I already had all the skills necessary to deal with
a body (an important one being "be prepared for the cops and EMTs stage
to take hours".).

Dimensional Traveler

Apr 24, 2017, 11:01:56 AM4/24/17
That was one of the things I learned when working with 911 centers.
"Coroner's Cases" are way down at the bottom of the priority list if
there is no indication of foul play.

James Nicoll

Apr 24, 2017, 2:53:45 PM4/24/17
In article <odl3r0$nor$1...@dont-email.me>,
The cops and EMTs were zippy fast but yeah, getting to the point where
the body was released was very slow. I am also in no way convinced the
cause of death was correctly determined: the coroner decided because
my friend was diabetic and his condo had a lot of drink bottles, it
was ketoacidosis (?). But no actual tests were done and it happens
Michael was not diligent about his recyling. Same with my mother:
cause of death was determined by glancing at the body and declaring it
heart failure.

Steve Coltrin

Apr 24, 2017, 7:37:51 PM4/24/17
begin fnord
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) writes:

> Same with my mother: cause of death was determined by glancing at
> the body and declaring it heart failure.

I have never seen my grandfather's death certificate, but I would not
be the least surprised nor troubled if, under cause of death, it said
"being 85 years old". (I doubt Arizona can afford to do posts on
unobserved deaths of old people with no sign of foul play (apart from
the caretaker having pilfered from the house over a span of years
(come at me)).)

--
Steve Coltrin spco...@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel