Cat Stories

William Vetter

Apr 12, 2015, 5:51:21 PM4/12/15
The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George
Scithers, _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?

Don Bruder

Apr 12, 2015, 7:48:56 PM4/12/15
In article <mgepat$vdf$1...@dont-email.me>,
William Vetter <mdha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George
> Scithers, _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?

"Tailchaser's Song" (Novel, by Tad Williams, IIRC)
"Cat Fantastic" (collection of shorts by various authors. Want to say
Mike Resnick had a hand in the editing, but that's from memory and may
be wrong.)

Others can surely come up with more...

--
Security provided by Mssrs Smith and/or Wesson. Brought to you by the letter Q

Moriarty

Apr 12, 2015, 7:53:35 PM4/12/15
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 9:48:56 AM UTC+10, Don Bruder wrote:
> In article <mgepat$vdf$1...@dont-email.me>,
> William Vetter <mdha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George
> > Scithers, _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?
>
> "Tailchaser's Song" (Novel, by Tad Williams, IIRC)
> "Cat Fantastic" (collection of shorts by various authors. Want to say
> Mike Resnick had a hand in the editing, but that's from memory and may
> be wrong.)
>
> Others can surely come up with more...

"The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents" by Terry Pratchett. The titular Maurice is a cat.

-Moriarty

Brian M. Scott

Apr 12, 2015, 9:01:31 PM4/12/15
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 16:48:51 -0700, Don Bruder
<dak...@sonic.net> wrote
in<news:mgf07b$mdr$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:

> In article <mgepat$vdf$1...@dont-email.me>,
> William Vetter <mdha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa
>> Tuttle & George Scithers, _Cat Tales_. Do you know any
>> others? Novels?

> "Tailchaser's Song" (Novel, by Tad Williams, IIRC)

> "Cat Fantastic" (collection of shorts by various authors.
> Want to say Mike Resnick had a hand in the editing, but
> that's from memory and may be wrong.)

_Catfantastic_, one word, edited by Andre Norton and Martin
H. Greenberg.

> Others can surely come up with more...

Diane Duane, _Book of Night With Moon_ and _To Visit the
Queen_. Shirley Rousseau Murphy, the Joe Grey mysteries.

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered

David Goldfarb

Apr 12, 2015, 9:30:03 PM4/12/15
In article <5ny3tjgrp5fx$.7u5zj474...@40tude.net>,
Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 16:48:51 -0700, Don Bruder
><dak...@sonic.net> wrote
>in<news:mgf07b$mdr$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> In article <mgepat$vdf$1...@dont-email.me>,
>> William Vetter <mdha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa
>>> Tuttle & George Scithers, _Cat Tales_. Do you know any
>>> others? Novels?
>
>> "Tailchaser's Song" (Novel, by Tad Williams, IIRC)
>
>> "Cat Fantastic" (collection of shorts by various authors.
>> Want to say Mike Resnick had a hand in the editing, but
>> that's from memory and may be wrong.)
>
>_Catfantastic_, one word, edited by Andre Norton and Martin
>H. Greenberg.
>
>> Others can surely come up with more...
>
>Diane Duane, _Book of Night With Moon_ and _To Visit the
>Queen_. Shirley Rousseau Murphy, the Joe Grey mysteries.

Duane has a third in the series called _The Big Meow_,
self-e-published. (If she'd been doing it today, I'm pretty
sure it would have been on Kickstarter, but this was long
before that.)

Jack Dann and Gardner Dozois did an anthology called
_Magicats!_ (sic), and Jack Dann on his own did a _Magicats II_.

--
David Goldfarb |"The only thing better than messing with somebody's
goldf...@gmail.com | sense of reality is messing with a whole LOTTA
| -- J. Michael Straczynski

Don Bruder

Apr 12, 2015, 9:34:12 PM4/12/15
In article <5ny3tjgrp5fx$.7u5zj474...@40tude.net>,
"Brian M. Scott" <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 16:48:51 -0700, Don Bruder
> <dak...@sonic.net> wrote
> in<news:mgf07b$mdr$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
> > In article <mgepat$vdf$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > William Vetter <mdha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa
> >> Tuttle & George Scithers, _Cat Tales_. Do you know any
> >> others? Novels?
>
> > "Tailchaser's Song" (Novel, by Tad Williams, IIRC)
>
> > "Cat Fantastic" (collection of shorts by various authors.
> > Want to say Mike Resnick had a hand in the editing, but
> > that's from memory and may be wrong.)
>
> _Catfantastic_, one word, edited by Andre Norton and Martin
> H. Greenberg.

Ah, OK. I'd assumed that it was like others in that "series" of
collections - All the rest that I've seen have been "<critter
name><space>Fantastic". My personal favorite of them is "Horse
Fantastic" (definitely two words, unless that's just an artifact of how
the cover text was laid out) and although I haven't read either, I've
also seen "Dinosaur Fantastic" (Which may be where I'm dredging up the
Mike Resnick editorial input) and "Dog Fantastic", and heard mumblings
about others, either in the works, or already published. (though I can't
claim to have personally laid eyes on any of the "mumbled about" ones)

Brian M. Scott

Apr 12, 2015, 9:35:02 PM4/12/15
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 01:24:21 GMT, David Goldfarb
<gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote
in<news:nMq18...@kithrup.com> in rec.arts.sf.written:

> In article <5ny3tjgrp5fx$.7u5zj474...@40tude.net>,
> Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:

[...]

>> Diane Duane, _Book of Night With Moon_ and _To Visit the
>> Queen_. [...]

> Duane has a third in the series called _The Big Meow_,
> self-e-published. (If she'd been doing it today, I'm
> pretty sure it would have been on Kickstarter, but this
> was long before that.)

I’m aware of it, but I’ve not seen it (or for that matter a
source for it).

[...]

Brian
--
It was called ‘Birdsong at Eventide’, and it went, ‘Ting
_pling_ ting pling _ting_, ting tong, ting tong, ting

ronincats

Apr 12, 2015, 9:54:35 PM4/12/15
On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 2:51:21 PM UTC-7, William Vetter wrote:
> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George
> Scithers, _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?

At least 5 collections of Catfantastic, edited by Andre Norton and Martin Greenberg. The fifth was published in 1999.

Magicats! edited by Jack Dann and Gardner Dozois, 1984

Masters of Everon by Gordon Dickson

ronincats

Apr 12, 2015, 9:57:39 PM4/12/15
Also, pure froth by Anne McCaffrey amd Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, the Barque Cat series, Catalyst and Catacombs.

William Vetter

Apr 12, 2015, 10:09:13 PM4/12/15
Don Bruder expressed precisely :
> In article <5ny3tjgrp5fx$.7u5zj474...@40tude.net>,
> "Brian M. Scott" <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 16:48:51 -0700, Don Bruder
>> <dak...@sonic.net> wrote
>> in<news:mgf07b$mdr$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:

>>> "Tailchaser's Song" (Novel, by Tad Williams, IIRC)
>>> "Cat Fantastic" (collection of shorts by various authors.
>>> Want to say Mike Resnick had a hand in the editing, but
>>> that's from memory and may be wrong.)
>>
>> _Catfantastic_, one word, edited by Andre Norton and Martin
>> H. Greenberg.

I did some searching. It grew into series _Catfantastic_ 1 to 4,
between 1989 to 1996, DAW paperbacks. From a summary I found, they
seem to be about 85% fantasy, the rest slipstreamy science fiction.

David Goldfarb

Apr 12, 2015, 10:30:03 PM4/12/15
In article <1sx5lx6vsstbp$.y6gte1te...@40tude.net>,
Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 01:24:21 GMT, David Goldfarb
><gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote
>in<news:nMq18...@kithrup.com> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> In article <5ny3tjgrp5fx$.7u5zj474...@40tude.net>,
>> Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>> Diane Duane, _Book of Night With Moon_ and _To Visit the
>>> Queen_. [...]
>
>> Duane has a third in the series called _The Big Meow_,
>> self-e-published. (If she'd been doing it today, I'm
>> pretty sure it would have been on Kickstarter, but this
>> was long before that.)
>
>I’m aware of it, but I’ve not seen it (or for that matter a
>source for it).

Have you tried thebigmeow.com?

--
David Goldfarb |"The gentle journey jars to stop;
goldf...@gmail.com | The drifting dream is done.
| The deadly, that we thought were dead,
| Stand waiting, every one." -- Walt Kelly

Brian M. Scott

Apr 12, 2015, 10:33:54 PM4/12/15
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 02:28:12 GMT, David Goldfarb
<gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote
in<news:nMq47...@kithrup.com> in rec.arts.sf.written:

> In article <1sx5lx6vsstbp$.y6gte1te...@40tude.net>,
> Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:

>>On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 01:24:21 GMT, David Goldfarb
>><gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote
>>in<news:nMq18...@kithrup.com> in rec.arts.sf.written:

>>> In article <5ny3tjgrp5fx$.7u5zj474...@40tude.net>,
>>> Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:

>>[...]

>>> Duane has a third in the series called _The Big Meow_,
>>> self-e-published. (If she'd been doing it today, I'm
>>> pretty sure it would have been on Kickstarter, but this
>>> was long before that.)

>>I’m aware of it, but I’ve not seen it (or for that matter a
>>source for it).

> Have you tried thebigmeow.com?

It’s currently for sale.

David Goldfarb

Apr 12, 2015, 11:45:12 PM4/12/15
In article <1svsi4s2pcbqo$.fr2heguscqas$.d...@40tude.net>,
Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 02:28:12 GMT, David Goldfarb
><gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote
>in<news:nMq47...@kithrup.com> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> In article <1sx5lx6vsstbp$.y6gte1te...@40tude.net>,
>> Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>
>>>On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 01:24:21 GMT, David Goldfarb
>>><gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote
>>>in<news:nMq18...@kithrup.com> in rec.arts.sf.written:

>>>[...]
>
>>>I’m aware of it, but I’ve not seen it (or for that matter a
>>>source for it).
>
>> Have you tried thebigmeow.com?
>
>It’s currently for sale.

That'll teach me to post from memory. It's the-big-meow.com,
with hyphens.

--
David Goldfarb |
goldf...@gmail.com | "Boom. Sooner or later. Boom!"

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 13, 2015, 12:25:51 AM4/13/15
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 18:34:09 -0700, Don Bruder <dak...@sonic.net>
wrote:

>Ah, OK. I'd assumed that it was like others in that "series" of
>collections - All the rest that I've seen have been "<critter
>name><space>Fantastic". My personal favorite of them is "Horse
>Fantastic" (definitely two words, unless that's just an artifact of how
>the cover text was laid out) and although I haven't read either, I've
>also seen "Dinosaur Fantastic" (Which may be where I'm dredging up the
>Mike Resnick editorial input) and "Dog Fantastic", and heard mumblings
>about others, either in the works, or already published. (though I can't
>claim to have personally laid eyes on any of the "mumbled about" ones)

_Castle Fantastic_ (John DeChancie & Martin H. Greenberg) was another
in the series -- I had a story in that, and in one of the
_CatFantastic_ series (#3, maybe?).

And then there was _Fantastic Alice_, same series, but Marty Greenberg
didn't think it sounded right the other way around. I had a story in
there, too.

I'm sure there were more, but I'm not thinking of them right now...

Ah. Here's a list. Don't think it's complete, but it's most of them:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/63677-fantastic-anthologies

---

Brian M. Scott

Apr 13, 2015, 1:24:51 AM4/13/15
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 03:33:43 GMT, David Goldfarb
<gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote
in<news:nMq78...@kithrup.com> in rec.arts.sf.written:
Thanks. Eset NOD32 says that the chapters online are
infected with a Trojan, JS/Kryptik.AGJ trojan. However,
I’ve found some evidence online that some Javascript causes
NOD32 to report precisely this false positive, so when I
get around to it, I’ll try it on my Linux box.

David DeLaney

Apr 13, 2015, 1:34:51 AM4/13/15
On 2015-04-12, Don Bruder <dak...@sonic.net> wrote:
> William Vetter <mdha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George
>> Scithers, _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?
>
> "Tailchaser's Song" (Novel, by Tad Williams, IIRC)
> "Cat Fantastic" (collection of shorts by various authors. Want to say
> Mike Resnick had a hand in the editing, but that's from memory and may
> be wrong.)
>
> Others can surely come up with more...

Adams' Horseclans series had big-cat companions also, and they made it to the
title in two of them.

Dann & Dozois edited two collections of "Magicats!", and Fawcett edited "Cats
in Space". Foster had "Cat-a-lyst" as a novel, and Greenberg & Gorman edited
"Cat Crimes", though that may lean more towards actual mystery... and Greenberg
& Deaver-Pack edited "Catopolis". Heinlein, of course, had The Cat Who Walks
Through Walls (and The Man Who Travelled In Elephants); King had The Golden
Cat. Greeno had a series with large companion cats, starting with Finders-
Seekers, and of course Norton had a zillion novels with companion cats of
various sizes and capabilities, perhaps the oddest pair of which were The Zero
Stone and Uncharted Stars?

One of Lackey's updated-fairy-tale Elemental Masters books was Reserved for
the Cat, which IIRC was Puss In Boots transplanted.

Little edited Alien Pets, A Constellation of Cats, Creature Fantastic, and
Familiars. Lovejoy wrote Outworld Cats but I no longer recall what it was
actually about. Cats figure as plot points in Lee & Miller's Liaden novels
here and there, don't they?

Norton & Greenberg edited five volumes of Catfantastic. Pohl wrote The Coming
of the Quantum Cats. The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents is one of
Pratchett's Discworld novels... and Rogers wrote several volumes (some
illustrated) about the adventures of Samurai Cat.

Selden's the Cricket in Times Square, and its several sequels, involve at least
one cat, usually. And Sleigh wrote a wonderful children's trilogy - Carbonel
the King of the Cats, The Kingdom of Carbonel, Carbonel and Calidor - deeply
involving magic cats, which I can still recite spell rhymes from lo these
decades later.

Stephens edited The King Of The Cats And Other Feline Fairy Tales.

Dave, that ought to hold the little purrer
http://gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd/ -net.legends/Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

David DeLaney

Apr 13, 2015, 1:40:19 AM4/13/15
On 2015-04-13, Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
> Diane Duane, _Book of Night With Moon_ and _To Visit the Queen_.

Oh duh. And the third one, The Big Meow, online in thirteen chapters at
http://www.the-big-meow.com/ .

> Shirley Rousseau Murphy, the Joe Grey mysteries.

Well, if you mention those, you should mention Lillian Jackson Braun's endless
"The Cat Who" mystery novels, and nobody wants that; I'd rather mention Doreen
Tovey's several volumes on her various Siamese cats and donkeys and some other
pets, though they're non-fiction/humor.

Dave

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 13, 2015, 1:52:14 AM4/13/15
In article <h6mdnYiu4eHkyLbI...@earthlink.com>,
David DeLaney <d...@vic.com> wrote:

>Little edited Alien Pets, A Constellation of Cats, Creature Fantastic, and
>Familiars. Lovejoy wrote Outworld Cats but I no longer recall what it was
>actually about. Cats figure as plot points in Lee & Miller's Liaden novels
>here and there, don't they?

Yes, there's a particularly funny non-Schrodinger's cat in the second
"Crystal" book.

Cats seem to come up in SF distrubingly more often than dogs.
Has anyone mentioned "The Game Of Rat & Dragon"?
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

William Vetter

Apr 13, 2015, 2:48:33 AM4/13/15
David DeLaney formulated on Monday :
> Pohl wrote The Coming
> of the Quantum Cats.

That story had no cats in it at all. It only had some wordplay linked
to Shroedinger's cat paradox.

Moriarty

Apr 13, 2015, 3:25:34 AM4/13/15
Now I'm remembering "Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy" by Robert Anton Wilson. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single thing about it, so have no idea if there were actual cats in it or not.

hamis...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2015, 4:16:19 AM4/13/15
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 5:25:34 PM UTC+10, Moriarty wrote:

> Now I'm remembering "Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy" by Robert Anton Wilson. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single thing about it, so have no idea if there were actual cats in it or not.

Seems appropriate

Anthony Nance

Apr 13, 2015, 8:06:24 AM4/13/15
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:
> In article <h6mdnYiu4eHkyLbI...@earthlink.com>,
> David DeLaney <d...@vic.com> wrote:
>>
>>Little edited Alien Pets, A Constellation of Cats, Creature Fantastic, and
>>Familiars. Lovejoy wrote Outworld Cats but I no longer recall what it was
>>actually about. Cats figure as plot points in Lee & Miller's Liaden novels
>>here and there, don't they?
>>

> Yes, there's a particularly funny non-Schrodinger's cat in the second
> "Crystal" book.
>
> Cats seem to come up in SF distrubingly more often than dogs.
> Has anyone mentioned "The Game Of Rat & Dragon"?

Mention of which reminds me of "Mother Hitton's Littul Kittons".
- Tony

Bill Gill

Apr 13, 2015, 9:08:03 AM4/13/15
On 4/12/2015 4:51 PM, William Vetter wrote:
> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George
> Scithers, _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?

"No One Noticed the Cat" - Anne McCaffrey

Biill

Kevrob

Apr 13, 2015, 9:46:02 AM4/13/15
Dave DeL already mentioned one Heinlein. It was Pete, a cat, who was trying
to find "The Door Into Summer."

As for Pratchett' Maurice: was he having fun at 9 Lives' expense?

Kevin R

William Vetter

Apr 13, 2015, 10:15:59 AM4/13/15
ronincats submitted this idea :
There was a children's book written by Mark Twain, _Two Cat Tales_,
involving Catasauqua and her progeny, whose names were all cat puns.
Always mentioned in coffee table books about cats, but not genre
fantasy.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 13, 2015, 11:04:14 AM4/13/15
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 08:08:00 -0500, Bill Gill <bill...@cox.net>
wrote:
"Trouble with Treaties," Katherine MacLean & Tom Condit.

James Silverton

Apr 13, 2015, 12:12:27 PM4/13/15
On 4/13/2015 11:04 AM, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 08:08:00 -0500, Bill Gill <bill...@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/12/2015 4:51 PM, William Vetter wrote:
>>> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George
>>> Scithers, _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?
>>
>> "No One Noticed the Cat" - Anne McCaffrey
>
> "Trouble with Treaties," Katherine MacLean & Tom Condit.

Sharon Lee and Steve Miller seem to like cats and they have "The Cat's
Job" Apr 21, 2011: stories about cats in a Kindle edition. Cats take a
prominent place in many of their stories, like Lord Merlin, Lady Dignity
etc.

It's OT but I quite like cats and they seem to like me but I'm mildly
allergic to them and could never own one.

Kindle Edition

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 13, 2015, 12:28:48 PM4/13/15
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 12:12:23 -0400, James Silverton
<not.jim....@verizon.net> wrote:

>It's OT but I quite like cats and they seem to like me but I'm mildly
>allergic to them and could never own one.

We keep one BECAUSE I'm mildly allergic -- constant low-level exposure
desensitizes me.

Ours is a relatively hypoallergenic beast, and my allergies really are
quite mild, so I'm not saying it would work for you, but hey, it
might.

David DeLaney

Apr 13, 2015, 3:12:04 PM4/13/15
There were not. Conspiracies, yes; Illuminati galore and 23s to skidoo, yes;
but I can't remember specific cat mentions.

I _do_ know it makes just as much sense read in reverse order, because that's
how I first read it.

And I don't think anyone has mentioned Coeurl yet, or Telzey Amberdon's big cat
Tik-Tok?

Dave

David DeLaney

Apr 13, 2015, 3:14:58 PM4/13/15
And there's uncountable children's books involving cats that talk or otherwise
follow fantasy tropes... the one I remember, but not title or author alas, I
wrote a book report on as one of a pair, about a lady who knit herself a cat.

This is still on-topic, because the other book report was on Nourse's _The
Universe Between_, which I illustrated with a construction-paper seven-sided
triangle. (I was an _odd_ kid, and reading far beyond expected level from the
start...) So between them I have cats and SF.

James Silverton

Apr 13, 2015, 3:37:22 PM4/13/15
On 4/13/2015 12:28 PM, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 12:12:23 -0400, James Silverton
> <not.jim....@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> It's OT but I quite like cats and they seem to like me but I'm mildly
>> allergic to them and could never own one.
>
> We keep one BECAUSE I'm mildly allergic -- constant low-level exposure
> desensitizes me.
>
> Ours is a relatively hypoallergenic beast, and my allergies really are
> quite mild, so I'm not saying it would work for you, but hey, it
> might.

There was friendly local cat that used to visit (looking for handouts no
doubt) but I always started to sneeze even if he was in the house
without my knowledge. He was a cat of character and I could tell many
tales about him (definitely an original fat cat) but this isn't the place.

Alie...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2015, 5:29:24 PM4/13/15
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 9:12:27 AM UTC-7, James Silverton wrote:

(snip)

> It's OT but I quite like cats and they seem to like me but I'm mildly
> allergic to them and could never own one.

There are cats and there are cats.

We have two indoor-outdoor cats. My daughter-in-law, who likes cats, is strongly allergic to one (short-dense fur) but not at all to the other (short, sparser fur).

Both come to her to get petted, so she takes an antihistamine when she visits.

Mark L. Fergerson

Alie...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2015, 5:45:42 PM4/13/15
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 12:14:58 PM UTC-7, David DeLaney wrote:

> And there's uncountable children's books involving cats that talk or otherwise
> follow fantasy tropes...

Are hats and grins fantasy tropes?

> the one I remember, but not title or author alas, I
> wrote a book report on as one of a pair, about a lady who knit herself a cat.

That needs to be a YASID because I remember exactly that much of it too.

OTOH it could work the other way around. If girls can knit boyfriends...

http://www.designboom.com/art/my-knitted-boyfriend/

...then cats can knit slav^H^H human companions.

http://www.dvm360.com/breaking-cats-use-claws-knit

> This is still on-topic, because the other book report was on Nourse's _The
> Universe Between_, which I illustrated with a construction-paper seven-sided
> triangle. (I was an _odd_ kid, and reading far beyond expected level from the
> start...) So between them I have cats and SF.

Please publish pattern. I belong to Papermodels II and the regulars there might like it. Besides, I don't have time to do LSD any more and would like something like that to stare at...

Mark L. Fergerson

Alie...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2015, 5:51:15 PM4/13/15
On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 10:40:19 PM UTC-7, David DeLaney wrote:

> > Shirley Rousseau Murphy, the Joe Grey mysteries.
>
> Well, if you mention those, you should mention Lillian Jackson Braun's endless
> "The Cat Who" mystery novels, and nobody wants that;

Why not? Koko is blatantly psychic, though Yum-Yum always seemed not to have a real role.

> I'd rather mention Doreen
> Tovey's several volumes on her various Siamese cats and donkeys and some other
> pets, though they're non-fiction/humor.

Ria Mae Brown's Sneaky Pie is right up there too.

Mark L. Fergerson

Alie...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2015, 5:53:13 PM4/13/15
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 2:45:42 PM UTC-7, nu...@bid.nes wrote:
> On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 12:14:58 PM UTC-7, David DeLaney wrote:
>
> > And there's uncountable children's books involving cats that talk or otherwise
> > follow fantasy tropes...
>
> Are hats and grins fantasy tropes?

Ooh. If we temporarily consider toons, Felix and his bag of holding I mean tricks.

Mark L. Fergerson

Kevrob

Apr 13, 2015, 6:05:30 PM4/13/15
Felix had as antagonist The Professor, a mad scientist.

http://felixthecat.wikia.com/wiki/The_Professor

This wiki also suggests one source of inspiration for Felix was
Kipling's "The Cat Who Walked By Himself" - one of the Just So Stories.

Kevin R

Ahasuerus

Apr 13, 2015, 8:03:34 PM4/13/15
On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 5:51:21 PM UTC-4, William Vetter wrote:
> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George
> Scithers, _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?

The ISFDB lets you search by tag, e.g.:

cats - http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/tag.cgi?2801
warrior cats - http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/tag.cgi?3143
werecat - http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/tag.cgi?6444
cat humor - http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/tag.cgi?4615

Admittedly, only 5.48% of our title records have tags
(http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/stats.cgi), but 5.48% of 1,045,299
is 57,267.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 13, 2015, 8:20:10 PM4/13/15
In article <dd3bc3f5-b918-4aae...@googlegroups.com>,
Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> wrote:
>On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 5:51:21 PM UTC-4, William Vetter wrote:
>> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George
>> Scithers, _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?
>
>The ISFDB lets you search by tag, e.g.:
>
>cats - http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/tag.cgi?2801
>warrior cats - http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/tag.cgi?3143
>werecat - http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/tag.cgi?6444
>cat humor - http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/tag.cgi?4615
>
>Admittedly, only 5.48% of our title records have tags

So it's not cat-egorical then?

David Duffy

Apr 13, 2015, 8:20:17 PM4/13/15
Just have to wash them once a week...

Ahasuerus

Apr 13, 2015, 8:30:25 PM4/13/15
Well, no, but we have some eager beavers who are working on it.

William Vetter

Apr 13, 2015, 8:38:14 PM4/13/15
It happens that Anthony Nance formulated :
They were minks.

Cryptoengineer

Apr 14, 2015, 12:05:27 AM4/14/15
William Vetter <mdha...@gmail.com> wrote in
Maybe I missed it, but I think you've missed one of my favorites.

Spacetime for Springers (Fritz Leiber)

Paul Gallico also wrote a number of cat themed fantasy novels.

pt

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 14, 2015, 12:30:47 AM4/14/15
In article <XnsA47CED4F4...@216.166.97.131>,
Leiber's _Green Millenium_ also featured a cat prominently. Well,
it turned out to not exactly be a cat..

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 14, 2015, 1:16:42 AM4/14/15
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 14:45:40 -0700 (PDT), "nu...@bid.nes"
<Alie...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 12:14:58 PM UTC-7, David DeLaney wrote:
>
>> And there's uncountable children's books involving cats that talk or otherwise
>> follow fantasy tropes...
>
> Are hats and grins fantasy tropes?

Oh, that reminds me -- my story in _Fantastic Alice_, "Something to
Grin About," is a cat story. The Cheshire Cat, to be exact.

Greg Goss

Apr 14, 2015, 1:46:52 AM4/14/15
t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

>Leiber's _Green Millenium_ also featured a cat prominently. Well,
>it turned out to not exactly be a cat..

Well, if we're talking about not-exactly-cats, we bring in Doorways in
the Sand. (Which, because I don't like anything by Zelazny is
permanently misfiled in my brain under Tak Hallus / Robinette.)

J. Clarke

Apr 14, 2015, 3:16:39 AM4/14/15
In article <mghmfm$jdl$1...@speranza.aioe.org>, dav...@qimr.edu.au says...
I know someone who does that--bathes the cats regularly. Surprisingly,
once they got used to the idea the cats started becoming petulant if
they did not get their baths on time.

Anthony Nance

Apr 14, 2015, 8:21:12 AM4/14/15
Aye, that they were.

In catching up on the thread, I was also reminded
of the cats in GRRM's Haviland Tuf stories[1] (said
cats being actual cats, btw).

Tony
[1] I believe all of which appear in the fix-up novel
TUF VOYAGING .

Anthony Nance

Apr 14, 2015, 9:13:56 AM4/14/15
I admit I find it refreshing to see the lynx people go to
just to make a pun.

Kevrob

Apr 14, 2015, 10:06:48 AM4/14/15
Mustn't forget the Gray Mouser and his Cat Claw. Was the name inspired by
any particular feline?

> Paul Gallico also wrote a number of cat themed fantasy novels.

Kevin R

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 14, 2015, 10:30:24 AM4/14/15
In article <ec2a7fbb-c2d5-43e8...@googlegroups.com>,
It took me many years before I realized a "mouser" is a cat.
As a kid I always figured it meant something like small & mousey, which
the GM sorta was.

Wasn't there a F&GM story where one of their cat friends displays
valor above and beyond and goes off to join the mystical War Cats
or something like that at story's end?

Kevrob

Apr 14, 2015, 12:25:00 PM4/14/15
I don't have the tomes to hand. Bueller? Bueller?

BTW, the Mouser started out as a Mouse, but got promoted.

Kevin R

art...@yahoo.com

Apr 16, 2015, 1:45:15 PM4/16/15
On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 9:13:56 AM UTC-4, Anthony Nance wrote:
> I admit I find it refreshing to see the lynx people go to
> just to make a pun.

Some people aren't even beyond lion to do so.

Alie...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2015, 3:46:58 PM4/16/15
I think that making a pun, despite the fact that some people might take offense at it, requires true cougar.

Dr. HotSalt

Brian M. Scott

Apr 16, 2015, 4:29:49 PM4/16/15
On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 12:46:54 -0700 (PDT), "nu...@bid.nes"
<Alie...@gmail.com> wrote
in<news:6c8c5881-af45-4ad3...@googlegroups.com>
in rec.arts.sf.written:
Felis to me as if you were really reaching for that one:
it’s awfully contortied.

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered
rhythmically over the packed sand: haggisss, haggisss,
haggisss.

Alie...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2015, 4:48:21 PM4/16/15
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 3:05:30 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
> On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 5:53:13 PM UTC-4, nu...@bid.nes wrote:

> > > Are hats and grins fantasy tropes?
> >
> > Ooh. If we temporarily consider toons, Felix and his bag of holding I
> > mean tricks.
>
> Felix had as antagonist The Professor, a mad scientist.

The Professor is just an amoral genius who covets the Bag, though he can be very helpful (if he thinks it's to his benefit). Master Cylinder is a pure villain with no redeeming qualities.

> http://felixthecat.wikia.com/wiki/The_Professor
>
> This wiki also suggests one source of inspiration for Felix was
> Kipling's "The Cat Who Walked By Himself" - one of the Just So Stories.

Nah, Felix is a true friend to Poindexter.

Mark L. Fergerson

art...@yahoo.com

Apr 16, 2015, 4:51:38 PM4/16/15
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 4:29:49 PM UTC-4, Brian M. Scott wrote:

> Felis to me as if you were really reaching for that one:
> it's awfully contortied.

He put an ocelot of effort into it.

Ahasuerus

Apr 16, 2015, 5:07:11 PM4/16/15
On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 9:13:56 AM UTC-4, Anthony Nance wrote:
In my case it was more of a double entendre, a horse of a different
color.

Brian M. Scott

Apr 16, 2015, 5:23:20 PM4/16/15
On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 14:07:08 -0700 (PDT), Ahasuerus
<ahas...@email.com> wrote
in<news:e1973b68-a315-4caa...@googlegroups.com>
in rec.arts.sf.written:
Pfui. Everyone who’s taught induction knows that all
horses are the same color! (Black, of course, since we
have it on good authority that Bucephalus was black.)

Ahasuerus

Apr 16, 2015, 5:50:52 PM4/16/15
It's true that all horses are black, but only if you are an owl!

Kevrob

Apr 16, 2015, 6:43:57 PM4/16/15
...and when candles are out, all cats be grey.

Kevin R

art...@yahoo.com

Apr 16, 2015, 7:21:54 PM4/16/15
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 4:29:49 PM UTC-4, Brian M. Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 12:46:54 -0700 (PDT), "nu...@bid.nes"
> <Alie...@gmail.com> wrote
> in<news:6c8c5881-af45-4ad3...@googlegroups.com>
> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
> > On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 10:45:15 AM UTC-7,
> > art...@yahoo.com wrote:

> >> Some people aren't even beyond lion to do so.
>
> > I think that making a pun, despite the fact that some
> > people might take offense at it, requires true cougar.
>
> Felis to me as if you were really reaching for that one:
> it's awfully contortied.

Cat puns like that breed contempt. That is my Maine Coonclusion.

David DeLaney

Apr 16, 2015, 10:15:47 PM4/16/15
I'm told it's the lowest form of puma.

Dave, thanx, Manx
http://gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd/ -net.legends/Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Don Bruder

Apr 17, 2015, 12:30:11 AM4/17/15
In article <5ZOdnVTRPc1S8a3I...@earthlink.com>,
David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 2015-04-16, nu...@bid.nes <Alie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Some people aren't even beyond lion to do so.
> >
> > I think that making a pun, despite the fact that some people might take
> > offense at it, requires true cougar.
>
> I'm told it's the lowest form of puma.

Stop pussyfootin' around and tell us how you REALLY feline.

--
Security provided by Mssrs Smith and/or Wesson. Brought to you by the letter Q

William Vetter

Apr 17, 2015, 2:20:05 AM4/17/15
William Vetter formulated on Sunday :
> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George Scithers,
> _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?

I got a copy of this and read some. It's like _Weird Tales_ when
George was editor.

art...@yahoo.com

Apr 17, 2015, 11:05:41 AM4/17/15
On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 5:51:21 PM UTC-4, William Vetter wrote:
> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George
> Scithers, _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?

I can a think of great story involving cats. Alas, knowing that it involves cats is a big spoiler. Below, in rot-13 is the title along with a similar case involving several animals, though I don't remember if any of them were cats.

Gur Snzvyl Gerr ol Furev Grccre naq Gur Snvgushy ol Xntr Onxre

Are there others like this?

William Vetter

Apr 26, 2015, 4:03:03 AM4/26/15
William Vetter formulated on Sunday :
> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George Scithers,
> _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?

Have there ever been any that involved the Miocene/Pleistocene/Pliocene
cats?

The only one I can remember is _Dance of the Tiger_, by Bjorn Kurten,
which only had a sabertooth appear in one or two scenes, being the
totem of a Cromagnon POV character.

J. Clarke

Apr 26, 2015, 4:48:51 AM4/26/15
In article <mhi61n$oc2$1...@dont-email.me>, mdha...@gmail.com says...
In The Valley of Horses Ayla's pet cave lion plays a significant role.

Then there's Keeshah in the Gandalara cycle.

David DeLaney

Apr 26, 2015, 5:26:56 AM4/26/15
On 2015-04-26, William Vetter <mdha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> William Vetter formulated on Sunday :
>> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George Scithers,
>> _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?
>
> Have there ever been any that involved the Miocene/Pleistocene/Pliocene cats?

Hmmm. Did such cats turn up in Julian May's Pliocene Exile quartet? It's been
too long since I read that.

Dave, and Andre Norton probably has SOMETHING relevant

Steve Coltrin

Apr 26, 2015, 12:57:47 PM4/26/15
begin fnord
David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> writes:

> On 2015-04-26, William Vetter <mdha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Have there ever been any that involved the
>> Miocene/Pleistocene/Pliocene cats?
>
> Hmmm. Did such cats turn up in Julian May's Pliocene Exile quartet? It's been
> too long since I read that.

Yes, one named Dejah Thoris, who was basically May's cat of the same name
appearing under a slightly different species.

--
Steve Coltrin spco...@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel

William Vetter

Apr 28, 2015, 3:57:24 AM4/28/15
William Vetter wrote on 04/26/2015 :
> William Vetter formulated on Sunday :
>> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George
>> Scithers, _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?
>
> Have there ever been any that involved the Miocene/Pleistocene/Pliocene cats?

I found a term for these earlier.

Miocene/Pleistocene/Pliocene cats = prehistoric neofelids. That would
be proaelurus and later animals.

Catlike mammals previous to this period would be termed paleofelids.

Mark Zenier

Apr 28, 2015, 5:31:36 PM4/28/15
In article <mhi61n$oc2$1...@dont-email.me>,
Simak's _Goblin Reservation_, where the timescooped Neanderthal had
a pet Sabertooth.

Mark Zenier mze...@eskimo.com

Gary R. Schmidt

Apr 28, 2015, 11:49:07 PM4/28/15
On 28/04/2015 2:36 AM, Mark Zenier wrote:
> In article <mhi61n$oc2$1...@dont-email.me>,
> William Vetter <mdha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> William Vetter formulated on Sunday :
>>> The other day I noticed a collection edited by Lisa Tuttle & George Scithers,
>>> _Cat Tales_. Do you know any others? Novels?
>>
>> Have there ever been any that involved the Miocene/Pleistocene/Pliocene
>> cats?
>>
>> The only one I can remember is _Dance of the Tiger_, by Bjorn Kurten,
>> which only had a sabertooth appear in one or two scenes, being the
>> totem of a Cromagnon POV character.
>
> Simak's _Goblin Reservation_, where the timescooped Neanderthal had
> a pet Sabertooth.

The kitty-cat belonged to the girl, it wasn't from Time, it was
bio-engineered (by her Dad?), or summat.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't really mean it.

William Vetter

Jul 30, 2015, 5:56:11 PM7/30/15
Please give examples of stories in which domestic kittycats eradicate
rodent-like space aliens.

Brenda

Jul 30, 2015, 10:31:43 PM7/30/15
On 7/30/2015 5:56 PM, William Vetter wrote:
> Please give examples of stories in which domestic kittycats eradicate
> rodent-like space aliens.

The Game of Rat and Dragon, by A. E. Van Vogt.

Brenda

Shawn Wilson

Jul 30, 2015, 10:35:52 PM7/30/15
Ahem, By Cordwainer Smith (aka Dr Paul Linebarger)

Gene Wirchenko

Jul 30, 2015, 11:05:20 PM7/30/15
See write-up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_of_Rat_and_Dragon

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

William Vetter

Jul 30, 2015, 11:07:05 PM7/30/15
Those were energy or space-dust entities that appeared as rats to cats,
and dragons to human beings, when they were plugged into a
telepathy-apparatus. I meant flesh & blood
rodent/insectivore/glire-like creatures.

It seems to me like it must be an unpublishable cliche.

Greg Goss

Jul 30, 2015, 11:50:18 PM7/30/15
I had an ink sketch of a cat staring at a small UFO with a few small
aliens standing next to it. The cat looked hungry.

HHG2G had a dual invasion fleet swallowed by a small dog. That's
close.

Gary R. Schmidt

Jul 31, 2015, 9:19:07 AM7/31/15
Goodness gracious! Shawn actually got something *right*!!!!

Gene Wirchenko

Jul 31, 2015, 8:55:10 PM7/31/15
Another related story, which I can not remember the title of, had
intelligent lizards coming back in time to ensure that their race
started. A boy had captured the mutant that was the mother of the
race. After much discussion, they persuaded him to release her. He
did so. Thank you, etc. The story ends with a cat pouncing on the
released lizard. The time-travelling lizards vanish into nothingness.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko