Não é mais possível fazer postagens ou usar assinaturas novas da Usenet nos Grupos do Google. O conteúdo histórico continua disponível.

Casting the Vorkosiverse

25 visualizações
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

Jacey Bedford

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 16:47:0708/10/2009
para
Whoever said that books have better visuals than movies was right.
Mostly right, anyway. Casting favourite characters would be a nightmare.

In another thread I suggested Claudia Black to play Cordelia in a movie
of Cordelia's Honour.

And I've just been thinking about who could possibly play Aral
Vorkosigan - a.k.a. 'The Butcher of Komarr'. Mutch as I don't really
watch many of his movies and I'm not really a fan I keep coming back to
Robert deNiro. He's stocky enough, his face looks kinda lived in and
he's got the gravitas.

To continue through the Vorkosiverse to The Warrior's Apprentice...

Casting Miles would be tough. Bearing in mind the height doesn't really
matter because (as on LOTR) tall people can be filmed to look short...
Hmmm... David Tennant could have the right frenetic energy, though he's
not really as I imagine Miles to be facially and he's a bit - well -
long and skinny.

Maybe it would need someone not all that well known. Young Miles could
possibly be played by Ryan Sampson (who was Rattigan the boy genius in
the two-part season four Dr Who (Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky).
Sampson is only 5'4" and though is playing age is 16-20 he's actually in
his mid 20s (born 28 November 1985).
http://www.spotlight.com/interactive/cv/1/a828/M86641.html

Bothari, however... hmm....

Jacey
--
Jacey Bedford

Wayne Throop

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 17:02:5108/10/2009
para
: Jacey Bedford <look...@nospam.invalid>
: Bothari, however... hmm....

Gary Oldman. Someobdy once noted that he's quite the chameleon.
He can *certainly* do crazy.

Wayne Throop thr...@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw

Mike Schilling

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 17:25:3008/10/2009
para
Jacey Bedford wrote:
> Whoever said that books have better visuals than movies was right.
> Mostly right, anyway. Casting favourite characters would be a
> nightmare.
> In another thread I suggested Claudia Black to play Cordelia in a
> movie of Cordelia's Honour.
>
> And I've just been thinking about who could possibly play Aral
> Vorkosigan - a.k.a. 'The Butcher of Komarr'. Mutch as I don't really
> watch many of his movies and I'm not really a fan I keep coming back
> to Robert deNiro. He's stocky enough, his face looks kinda lived in
> and he's got the gravitas.

Bob Hoskins.

Brenda Clough

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 17:56:3908/10/2009
para

Mandy Patinkin. But under no circumstance let him sing -- Aral would not.

Brenda

Mike Schilling

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 18:08:0308/10/2009
para

And don't let him say *that* to Mad Yuri.

Szymon Sokół

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 18:14:5608/10/2009
para
On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 21:47:07 +0100, Jacey Bedford wrote:

> Whoever said that books have better visuals than movies was right.
> Mostly right, anyway. Casting favourite characters would be a nightmare.

Certainly.

> In another thread I suggested Claudia Black to play Cordelia in a movie
> of Cordelia's Honour.

Ah, so you *meant* it. Here we disagree.

> And I've just been thinking about who could possibly play Aral
> Vorkosigan - a.k.a. 'The Butcher of Komarr'. Mutch as I don't really
> watch many of his movies and I'm not really a fan I keep coming back to
> Robert deNiro. He's stocky enough, his face looks kinda lived in and
> he's got the gravitas.

Probably a good choice. He can be menacing indeed.

> Casting Miles would be tough. Bearing in mind the height doesn't really
> matter because (as on LOTR) tall people can be filmed to look short...
> Hmmm... David Tennant could have the right frenetic energy, though he's
> not really as I imagine Miles to be facially and he's a bit - well -
> long and skinny.

Neil Patrick Harris (aka Dr Horrible) has the right kind of face. And energy
too. And looks crazy enough :-)

> Bothari, however... hmm....

According to my wife, Ben Cross. And I agree, judging by these photos:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm236294400/nm0002027
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm202739968/nm0002027

If Peter Cushing still lived, I think he would make good Ezar Vorbarra.

Any ideas for Illyan?
--
Szymon Sokół (SS316-RIPE) -- Network Manager B
Computer Center, AGH - University of Science and Technology, Cracow, Poland O

Moriarty

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 18:18:5108/10/2009
para
On Oct 9, 9:08 am, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Aral: "Hello, my name is Aral Vorkosigan. You killed my father.
Prepare to die."

Piotr: "Son, I'm right here."

-Moriarty

Szymon Sokół

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 18:36:4908/10/2009
para

[----]

>>> Mandy Patinkin.  But under no circumstance let him sing -- Aral would
>>> not.
>>
>> And don't let him say *that* to Mad Yuri.
>
> Aral: "Hello, my name is Aral Vorkosigan. You killed my father.
> Prepare to die."
>
> Piotr: "Son, I'm right here."

Of course, that would be "You killed my mother". But if he repeated it some
20 times, like Inigo did...

Jack Tingle

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 19:39:4208/10/2009
para
Jacey Bedford wrote:
> Whoever said that books have better visuals than movies was right.
> Mostly right, anyway. Casting favourite characters would be a nightmare.
>
> In another thread I suggested Claudia Black to play Cordelia in a movie
> of Cordelia's Honour.
>
> And I've just been thinking about who could possibly play Aral
> Vorkosigan

[Snip YACTV thread.]

Jesus, Mary, and Elvis, no, make it stop! Not another "casting the movie
from the book" thread. Next you'll try the Honorverse--again. AGHHH! My
eyes!

Regards,
Jack Tingle

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 19:47:1808/10/2009
para
Jacey Bedford <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in

> Whoever said that books have better visuals than movies was
> right. Mostly right, anyway. Casting favourite characters would
> be a nightmare.
>
> In another thread I suggested Claudia Black to play Cordelia in
> a movie of Cordelia's Honour.

A thought I've had many times myself.

> And I've just been thinking about who could possibly play Aral
> Vorkosigan - a.k.a. 'The Butcher of Komarr'. Mutch as I don't
> really watch many of his movies and I'm not really a fan I keep
> coming back to Robert deNiro. He's stocky enough, his face looks
> kinda lived in and he's got the gravitas.

Possibly. Can't think of a better choice at the moment.

> To continue through the Vorkosiverse to The Warrior's
> Apprentice...
>
> Casting Miles would be tough. Bearing in mind the height
> doesn't really matter because (as on LOTR) tall people can be
> filmed to look short... Hmmm... David Tennant could have the
> right frenetic energy, though he's not really as I imagine Miles
> to be facially and he's a bit - well - long and skinny.

Except he doesn't look short, he looks like a dwarf. The
proportions are wrong. Would never work. It would have to be a real
dward, or some extensive cgi.

> Maybe it would need someone not all that well known. Young Miles
> could possibly be played by Ryan Sampson (who was Rattigan the
> boy genius in the two-part season four Dr Who (Sontaran
> Stratagem/The Poison Sky). Sampson is only 5'4" and though is
> playing age is 16-20 he's actually in his mid 20s (born 28
> November 1985).
> http://www.spotlight.com/interactive/cv/1/a828/M86641.html

And Clive Owen for That Idiot Ivan.

> Bothari, however... hmm....

Tough one, since the guy who played Lyrch is too old (if he's even
still alive, which seems doubtful).

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 19:48:0108/10/2009
para
Brenda Clough <Bre...@sff.net> wrote in

I like that.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 19:48:2208/10/2009
para
"Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Only in fanfic.

On the other hand, slash might actually be hard to *do* in that
case.

Mike Schilling

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 20:07:1608/10/2009
para
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
>> Casting Miles would be tough. Bearing in mind the height
>> doesn't really matter because (as on LOTR) tall people can be
>> filmed to look short... Hmmm... David Tennant could have the
>> right frenetic energy, though he's not really as I imagine Miles
>> to be facially and he's a bit - well - long and skinny.
>
> Except he doesn't look short, he looks like a dwarf. The
> proportions are wrong. Would never work. It would have to be a real
> dward, or some extensive cgi.

Why not Peter Dinklage? He's going to be Tyrion Lannister, which is close.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 22:26:5108/10/2009
para
"Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Certainly an experienced actor. If he's especially susceptible to
caffeine enhancement, he might be able to pull of the manic-ness,
even.

--
Terry Austin

Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole. - David
Bilek

Yeah, I had Terry confused with Hannibal Lecter. - Mike Schilling

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

não lida,
8 de out. de 2009, 22:47:1108/10/2009
para
Jack Tingle wrote:
> Jacey Bedford wrote:
>> Whoever said that books have better visuals than movies was right.
>> Mostly right, anyway. Casting favourite characters would be a nightmare.
>>
>> In another thread I suggested Claudia Black to play Cordelia in a
>> movie of Cordelia's Honour.
>>
>> And I've just been thinking about who could possibly play Aral Vorkosigan
>
> [Snip YACTV thread.]
>
> Jesus, Mary, and Elvis, no, make it stop! Not another "casting the movie
> from the book" thread.

If you're too weak to handle it, step away from the computer.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Lawrence Watt-Evans

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 00:32:2109/10/2009
para
On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 16:47:18 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
<taus...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Jacey Bedford <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in
>

>> Bothari, however... hmm....

>Tough one, since the guy who played Lyrch is too old (if he's even
>still alive, which seems doubtful).

He's not. He died distressingly young.

I'm blanking on his name.

I'm selling my comic collection -- see http://www.watt-evans.com/comics.html
I'm serializing a novel at http://www.watt-evans.com/realmsoflight0.html

Carl Dershem

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 00:31:5109/10/2009
para
Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote in

> On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 16:47:18 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
> <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Jacey Bedford <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in
>>

>>> Bothari, however... hmm....
>>>
>>Tough one, since the guy who played Lyrch is too old (if he's even
>>still alive, which seems doubtful).
>
> He's not. He died distressingly young.
>
> I'm blanking on his name.

Ted Cassidy. Nice guy. Died about ... 30 years ago?

cd
--
The difference between immorality and immortality is "T". I like Earl
Grey.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 00:40:3409/10/2009
para
On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 04:31:51 GMT, Carl Dershem <der...@cox.net>
wrote:

>Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote in
>
>> On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 16:47:18 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
>> <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Jacey Bedford <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in

>>>Tough one, since the guy who played Lyrch is too old (if he's even
>>>still alive, which seems doubtful).
>>
>> He's not. He died distressingly young.
>>
>> I'm blanking on his name.
>
>Ted Cassidy. Nice guy. Died about ... 30 years ago?

Sounds right.

Robert A. Woodward

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 01:54:4509/10/2009
para
In article <h6nxzqu594t7$.d...@falcon.sloth.hell.pl>,

Not for Simon for _Shards of Honor_/_Barrayar_; but for the Miles stories, David
McCallum is the man.

--
Robert Woodward <robe...@drizzle.com>
<http://www.drizzle.com/~robertaw>

Louann Miller

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 10:28:0109/10/2009
para
Jack Tingle <wjti...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:halt7u$j8k$1...@news.eternal-
september.org:

> Jesus, Mary, and Elvis, no, make it stop! Not another "casting the movie
> from the book" thread. Next you'll try the Honorverse--again. AGHHH! My
> eyes!

Joanne Kelly from "Warehouse 13" as Honor.

pbbbt.

Jacey Bedford

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 14:04:2709/10/2009
para
In message <12550...@sheol.org>, Wayne Throop <thr...@sheol.org>
writes

>: Jacey Bedford <look...@nospam.invalid>
>: Bothari, however... hmm....
>
>Gary Oldman. Someobdy once noted that he's quite the chameleon.
>He can *certainly* do crazy.

I imagine Bothari looks more like a younger Lee Marvin on a bad day.
Gary Oldman could be mad but I've never seem him play tough (as in
grizzled veteran).

Jacey

--
Jacey Bedford

Jacey Bedford

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 14:04:5509/10/2009
para
In message <hallcc$l0i$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Mike Schilling
<mscotts...@hotmail.com> writes
Too cuddly.

Jacey
--
Jacey Bedford

Jacey Bedford

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 14:05:1909/10/2009
para
In message <haln74$r5v$2...@adenine.netfront.net>, Brenda Clough
<Bre...@sff.net> writes

Hmm... That might work.

Jacey
--
Jacey Bedford

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 14:15:2809/10/2009
para

Too old, if we're talking about the early days (when they met). If
you're just thinking of the adult Miles stories, yes, could be.

mikea

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 14:34:3109/10/2009
para
Jacey Bedford <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in <g6D030Gr...@parkhead.demon.co.uk>:

Charles Bronson with a mad on.

--
$SUPPLIER said "next day delivery". Unfortunately, they didn't
specify which day it would be next to.

Jacey Bedford

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 14:42:4009/10/2009
para
In message <halt7u$j8k$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Jack Tingle
<wjti...@hotmail.com> writes

Luckily I've never read the Honorverse.
:-)

Jacey

--
Jacey Bedford

Jacey Bedford

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 14:41:1809/10/2009
para
In message <h6nxzqu594t7$.d...@falcon.sloth.hell.pl>, Szymon
=?utf-8?Q?Sok=C3=B3=C5=82?= <szy...@bastard.operator.from.hell.pl>
writes

>On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 21:47:07 +0100, Jacey Bedford wrote:
>
>> Whoever said that books have better visuals than movies was right.
>> Mostly right, anyway. Casting favourite characters would be a nightmare.
>
>Certainly.
>
>> In another thread I suggested Claudia Black to play Cordelia in a movie
>> of Cordelia's Honour.
>
>Ah, so you *meant* it. Here we disagree.

Well, you're looking for someone who can play a very active intelligent
40 year old. I know Claudia Black's colouring is wrong but she's got a
wide acting range.

Do you have someone else in mind?

>> And I've just been thinking about who could possibly play Aral
>> Vorkosigan - a.k.a. 'The Butcher of Komarr'. Mutch as I don't really
>> watch many of his movies and I'm not really a fan I keep coming back to
>> Robert deNiro. He's stocky enough, his face looks kinda lived in and
>> he's got the gravitas.
>
>Probably a good choice. He can be menacing indeed.
>
>> Casting Miles would be tough. Bearing in mind the height doesn't really
>> matter because (as on LOTR) tall people can be filmed to look short...
>> Hmmm... David Tennant could have the right frenetic energy, though he's
>> not really as I imagine Miles to be facially and he's a bit - well -
>> long and skinny.
>
>Neil Patrick Harris (aka Dr Horrible) has the right kind of face. And energy
>too. And looks crazy enough :-)

I'll give him the crazy part but I don't see him as Miles.

>> Bothari, however... hmm....
>
>According to my wife, Ben Cross. And I agree, judging by these photos:
>http://www.imdb.com/media/rm236294400/nm0002027
>http://www.imdb.com/media/rm202739968/nm0002027

I wasn't sure until I saw the second of those pics, but yes.

>If Peter Cushing still lived, I think he would make good Ezar Vorbarra.
>
>Any ideas for Illyan?

Oooh... I know it's the name, but I always have David McCallum in my
head. It's that old Illya Kuriakin connection in my subconscious. He's
too old now, probably, as is Patrick Stewart, (unfortunately)

Actually thinking about it - Chris Eccleston might do a very good job of
Illyan. Or even Hugh Laurie.

What about Drou and Kou?

I always think of Drou being played by the woman who played Ivanova in
Babylon Five, but she'll be too old now. It needs someone who looks
perfectly capable of slapping down an average six foot male.

Kou actually could be David Tennant. He can play not manic as well as
manic and he looks right and could probably manage the age range (the
jump from Cordelia's honour to the Miles books).

Jacey

--
Jacey Bedford

Lawrence Watt-Evans

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 15:28:4109/10/2009
para
On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 19:41:18 +0100, Jacey Bedford
<look...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>In message <h6nxzqu594t7$.d...@falcon.sloth.hell.pl>, Szymon
>=?utf-8?Q?Sok=C3=B3=C5=82?= <szy...@bastard.operator.from.hell.pl>
>writes
>>On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 21:47:07 +0100, Jacey Bedford wrote:
>>
>>> Whoever said that books have better visuals than movies was right.
>>> Mostly right, anyway. Casting favourite characters would be a nightmare.
>>
>>Certainly.
>>
>>> In another thread I suggested Claudia Black to play Cordelia in a movie
>>> of Cordelia's Honour.
>>
>>Ah, so you *meant* it. Here we disagree.
>
>Well, you're looking for someone who can play a very active intelligent
>40 year old. I know Claudia Black's colouring is wrong but she's got a
>wide acting range.
>

>What about Drou and Kou?
>
>I always think of Drou being played by the woman who played Ivanova in
>Babylon Five, but she'll be too old now. It needs someone who looks
>perfectly capable of slapping down an average six foot male.

Um... that was Claudia Black.

Chris Thompson

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 15:27:1009/10/2009
para
Szymon Sokół wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 15:18:51 -0700 (PDT), Moriarty wrote:
>
>> On Oct 9, 9:08 am, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Brenda Clough wrote:
> [----]
>>> And don't let him say *that* to Mad Yuri.
>> Aral: "Hello, my name is Aral Vorkosigan. You killed my father.
>> Prepare to die."
>>
>> Piotr: "Son, I'm right here."
>
> Of course, that would be "You killed my mother". But if he repeated it some
> 20 times, like Inigo did...

What he actually said to Yuri was, IIRC, "you killed all the children
in that room" -- a reference to an incident nowhere elaborated on in
the canon.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

Anthony Nance

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 15:39:5909/10/2009
para
Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 19:41:18 +0100, Jacey Bedford
> <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>>In message <h6nxzqu594t7$.d...@falcon.sloth.hell.pl>, Szymon
>>=?utf-8?Q?Sok=C3=B3=C5=82?= <szy...@bastard.operator.from.hell.pl>
>>writes

>>>Certainly.

>>>Ah, so you *meant* it. Here we disagree.
>>
>>Well, you're looking for someone who can play a very active intelligent
>>40 year old. I know Claudia Black's colouring is wrong but she's got a
>>wide acting range.
>>
>>What about Drou and Kou?
>>
>>I always think of Drou being played by the woman who played Ivanova in
>>Babylon Five, but she'll be too old now. It needs someone who looks
>>perfectly capable of slapping down an average six foot male.
>
> Um... that was Claudia Black.

Claudia Christian played Ivanova in B5. Claudia Black was in Farscape.
- Tony

Tim McDaniel

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 15:58:0109/10/2009
para
In article <hao2qe$lnn$1...@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk>,

I thought it referred to ... checking Aral Vorkosigan's Wikipedia page
[!] ... "[Yuri's] paranoia mounted, until he finally ordered death
squads to kill every potential heir to the imperial bloodline. These
persons included the then eleven-year-old Aral Vorkosigan, his
Aral and his mother and sister were caught at an official state
luncheon. He survived, but his mother and sister were killed. Aral
and his baby cousin Padma Vorpatril (son of Olivia's sister) were the
only people to survive the encounter at the luncheon." That is, I
interpreted the remark as Aral saying that Yuri had ended his
childhood, only metaphorically killing the child Aral.

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com

Lawrence Watt-Evans

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 16:03:1309/10/2009
para
On 9 Oct 2009 19:39:59 GMT, na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance)
wrote:

Aaugh!

You're right, of course.

Mike Schilling

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 16:31:0509/10/2009
para

And Claudia Cardinale was in The Pink Panther.

Louann Miller

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 16:49:3009/10/2009
para
tm...@panix.com (Tim McDaniel) wrote in news:hao4k8$sp4$1...@reader1.panix.com:

> That is, I
> interpreted the remark as Aral saying that Yuri had ended his
> childhood, only metaphorically killing the child Aral.

Exactly. I didn't realize it was interpretable otherwise.

zuul

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 17:00:5209/10/2009
para

"Szymon Sok�l" <szy...@bastard.operator.from.hell.pl> wrote in message

> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 21:47:07 +0100, Jacey Bedford wrote:
>
>> Whoever said that books have better visuals than movies was right.
>> Mostly right, anyway. Casting favourite characters would be a nightmare.
>
> Certainly.
>
>> In another thread I suggested Claudia Black to play Cordelia in a movie
>> of Cordelia's Honour.
>
> Ah, so you *meant* it. Here we disagree.
>
>> And I've just been thinking about who could possibly play Aral
>> Vorkosigan - a.k.a. 'The Butcher of Komarr'. Mutch as I don't really
>> watch many of his movies and I'm not really a fan I keep coming back to
>> Robert deNiro. He's stocky enough, his face looks kinda lived in and
>> he's got the gravitas.
>
> Probably a good choice. He can be menacing indeed.
>
>> Casting Miles would be tough. Bearing in mind the height doesn't really
>> matter because (as on LOTR) tall people can be filmed to look short...
>> Hmmm... David Tennant could have the right frenetic energy, though he's
>> not really as I imagine Miles to be facially and he's a bit - well -
>> long and skinny.
>
> Neil Patrick Harris (aka Dr Horrible) has the right kind of face. And
> energy
> too. And looks crazy enough :-)
>
>> Bothari, however... hmm....
>
> According to my wife, Ben Cross. And I agree, judging by these photos:
> http://www.imdb.com/media/rm236294400/nm0002027
> http://www.imdb.com/media/rm202739968/nm0002027
>
> If Peter Cushing still lived, I think he would make good Ezar Vorbarra.
>
> Any ideas for Illyan?

Peter Firth from MI5

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 17:05:0209/10/2009
para
Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 19:41:18 +0100, Jacey Bedford
> <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In message <h6nxzqu594t7$.d...@falcon.sloth.hell.pl>, Szymon
>> =?utf-8?Q?Sok=C3=B3=C5=82?= <szy...@bastard.operator.from.hell.pl>
>> writes

>>> Certainly.

>>> Ah, so you *meant* it. Here we disagree.
>> Well, you're looking for someone who can play a very active intelligent
>> 40 year old. I know Claudia Black's colouring is wrong but she's got a
>> wide acting range.
>>
>> What about Drou and Kou?
>>
>> I always think of Drou being played by the woman who played Ivanova in
>> Babylon Five, but she'll be too old now. It needs someone who looks
>> perfectly capable of slapping down an average six foot male.
>
> Um... that was Claudia Black.

Did she marry someone named "Black"? Because it was Claudia Christian
on the credits.

zuul

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 17:06:1609/10/2009
para

"Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy" <taus...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Jacey Bedford <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote in

>> Whoever said that books have better visuals than movies was
>> right. Mostly right, anyway. Casting favourite characters would
>> be a nightmare.
>>
>> In another thread I suggested Claudia Black to play Cordelia in
>> a movie of Cordelia's Honour.
>>
> A thought I've had many times myself.

>> And I've just been thinking about who could possibly play Aral
>> Vorkosigan - a.k.a. 'The Butcher of Komarr'. Mutch as I don't
>> really watch many of his movies and I'm not really a fan I keep
>> coming back to Robert deNiro. He's stocky enough, his face looks
>> kinda lived in and he's got the gravitas.
>>
> Possibly. Can't think of a better choice at the moment.
>
>> To continue through the Vorkosiverse to The Warrior's
>> Apprentice...

>> Casting Miles would be tough. Bearing in mind the height
>> doesn't really matter because (as on LOTR) tall people can be
>> filmed to look short... Hmmm... David Tennant could have the
>> right frenetic energy, though he's not really as I imagine Miles
>> to be facially and he's a bit - well - long and skinny.
>
> Except he doesn't look short, he looks like a dwarf. The
> proportions are wrong. Would never work. It would have to be a real
> dward, or some extensive cgi.
>>
>> Maybe it would need someone not all that well known. Young Miles
>> could possibly be played by Ryan Sampson (who was Rattigan the
>> boy genius in the two-part season four Dr Who (Sontaran
>> Stratagem/The Poison Sky). Sampson is only 5'4" and though is
>> playing age is 16-20 he's actually in his mid 20s (born 28
>> November 1985).
>> http://www.spotlight.com/interactive/cv/1/a828/M86641.html
>
> And Clive Owen for That Idiot Ivan.

>> Bothari, however... hmm....
>>
> Tough one, since the guy who played Lyrch is too old (if he's even
> still alive, which seems doubtful).

There's only one choice vinny jones

zuul

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 17:10:5109/10/2009
para

"Brenda Clough" <Bre...@sff.net> wrote in message

> Mike Schilling wrote:
>> Jacey Bedford wrote:
>>> Whoever said that books have better visuals than movies was right.
>>> Mostly right, anyway. Casting favourite characters would be a
>>> nightmare.
>>> In another thread I suggested Claudia Black to play Cordelia in a
>>> movie of Cordelia's Honour.
>>>
>>> And I've just been thinking about who could possibly play Aral
>>> Vorkosigan - a.k.a. 'The Butcher of Komarr'. Mutch as I don't really
>>> watch many of his movies and I'm not really a fan I keep coming back
>>> to Robert deNiro. He's stocky enough, his face looks kinda lived in
>>> and he's got the gravitas.
>>
>> Bob Hoskins.

I can see Stellen Scarsgard or Jurgen Procnow

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 17:20:4409/10/2009
para
"zuul" <zu...@optonline.net> wrote in

Well, this picture

http://wearemoviegeeks.com/wp-content/vinnie-jones.jpg

seems to show something of the right attitude, at any rate.

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Mike Van Pelt

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 18:50:3709/10/2009
para
In article <Xns9C9EAAC846E...@69.16.186.50>,

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Casting Miles would be tough. Bearing in mind the height
>> doesn't really matter because (as on LOTR) tall people can be
>> filmed to look short... Hmmm... David Tennant could have the
>> right frenetic energy, though he's not really as I imagine Miles
>> to be facially and he's a bit - well - long and skinny.
>
>Except he doesn't look short, he looks like a dwarf. The
>proportions are wrong. Would never work. It would have to be a
>real dward, or some extensive cgi.

You're thinking of achondroplastic (probably mispelled)
dwarfism, which is a genetic condition. There's no indication
that Miles is proportioned that way. His dwarfism is not due
to any genetics. I recall his descriptions as being more or
less normally proportioned (though skinny?) but very short.

There's also ... not sure what it's called, insufficient
growth hormone dwarfism, which results in very short adults,
like "Major Tom Thumb" who worked for P. T. Barnum's circus.
You don't often notice people with this condition these days,
because when they're diagnosed as kids, they get growth
hormone injections and grow to normal size adults.

--
Mike Van Pelt "If they're going to talk about
mvp.at.calweb.com Camelot, then we get to talk about

erilar

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 19:09:3509/10/2009
para
In article <pma2geIO...@parkhead.demon.co.uk>,
Jacey Bedford <look...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Actually thinking about it - Chris Eccleston might do a very good job of
> Illyan. Or even Hugh Laurie.

Eccleston I can see. Young David McCallum would be the ideal, though
8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic

bib-li-o-hol-ism [<Gr biblion] n. [BIBLIO + HOLISM] books, of books:
habitual longing to purchase, read, store, admire, and consume books in excess.

http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 19:10:4309/10/2009
para
m...@web1.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt) wrote in

> In article <Xns9C9EAAC846E...@69.16.186.50>,
> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Casting Miles would be tough. Bearing in mind the height
>>> doesn't really matter because (as on LOTR) tall people can be
>>> filmed to look short... Hmmm... David Tennant could have the
>>> right frenetic energy, though he's not really as I imagine
>>> Miles to be facially and he's a bit - well - long and skinny.
>>
>>Except he doesn't look short, he looks like a dwarf. The
>>proportions are wrong. Would never work. It would have to be a
>>real dward, or some extensive cgi.
>
> You're thinking of achondroplastic (probably mispelled)
> dwarfism, which is a genetic condition.

Actually, there are. He's described as having the torso of an
adult with shorter limbs.

He's also described as a hunchback, even after all the corrective
surgery.

> There's no indication
> that Miles is proportioned that way. His dwarfism is not due
> to any genetics. I recall his descriptions as being more or
> less normally proportioned (though skinny?) but very short.
>
> There's also ... not sure what it's called, insufficient
> growth hormone dwarfism, which results in very short adults,
> like "Major Tom Thumb" who worked for P. T. Barnum's circus.
> You don't often notice people with this condition these days,
> because when they're diagnosed as kids, they get growth
> hormone injections and grow to normal size adults.

What would have been called a midget in days gone by. In any
event, Miles is very consistently described as "a hunchbacked
dwarf" throughout the series.

Mike Schilling

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 19:39:5709/10/2009
para
Mike Van Pelt wrote:
> In article <Xns9C9EAAC846E...@69.16.186.50>,
> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Casting Miles would be tough. Bearing in mind the height
>>> doesn't really matter because (as on LOTR) tall people can be
>>> filmed to look short... Hmmm... David Tennant could have the
>>> right frenetic energy, though he's not really as I imagine Miles
>>> to be facially and he's a bit - well - long and skinny.
>>
>> Except he doesn't look short, he looks like a dwarf. The
>> proportions are wrong. Would never work. It would have to be a
>> real dward, or some extensive cgi.
>
> You're thinking of achondroplastic (probably mispelled)
> dwarfism, which is a genetic condition. There's no indication
> that Miles is proportioned that way. His dwarfism is not due
> to any genetics. I recall his descriptions as being more or
> less normally proportioned (though skinny?) but very short.

Miles's head is overlarge for his body, though not grotesquely so.

David Johnston

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 20:18:4209/10/2009
para
On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 16:10:43 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
<taus...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> There's also ... not sure what it's called, insufficient
>> growth hormone dwarfism, which results in very short adults,
>> like "Major Tom Thumb" who worked for P. T. Barnum's circus.
>> You don't often notice people with this condition these days,
>> because when they're diagnosed as kids, they get growth
>> hormone injections and grow to normal size adults.
>>
>What would have been called a midget in days gone by. In any
>event, Miles is very consistently described as "a hunchbacked
>dwarf" throughout the series.

I don't think he actually has a hump though, just severe spinal
curvature. In fact I've got the impression that if he could
straighten up he wouldn't be all that short.

Mark Reichert

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 22:02:2909/10/2009
para
On Oct 9, 2:39 pm, na...@math.ohio-state.edu (Anthony Nance) wrote:
> Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 19:41:18 +0100, Jacey Bedford
> > <lookin...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> >>In message <h6nxzqu594t7$....@falcon.sloth.hell.pl>, Szymon

> >>=?utf-8?Q?Sok=C3=B3=C5=82?= <szy...@bastard.operator.from.hell.pl>
> >>writes

> >>Well, you're looking for someone who can play a very active intelligent
> >>40 year old. I know Claudia Black's colouring is wrong  but she's got a
> >>wide acting range.
>
> >>What about Drou and Kou?
>
> >>I always think of Drou being played by the woman who played Ivanova in
> >>Babylon Five, but she'll be too old now. It needs someone who looks
> >>perfectly capable of slapping down an average six foot male.
>
> > Um... that was Claudia Black.
>
> Claudia Christian played Ivanova in B5.  Claudia Black was in Farscape.

Farscape and the last seasons of Stargate SG-1.

Have I mentioned the 200th episode lately?<g>

Mark Reichert

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 22:04:4109/10/2009
para
On Oct 9, 4:05 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"

<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 19:41:18 +0100, Jacey Bedford
> > <lookin...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> >> In message <h6nxzqu594t7$....@falcon.sloth.hell.pl>, Szymon

> >> =?utf-8?Q?Sok=C3=B3=C5=82?= <szy...@bastard.operator.from.hell.pl>
> >> writes

> >> Well, you're looking for someone who can play a very active intelligent
> >> 40 year old. I know Claudia Black's colouring is wrong  but she's got a
> >> wide acting range.
>
> >> What about Drou and Kou?
>
> >> I always think of Drou being played by the woman who played Ivanova in
> >> Babylon Five, but she'll be too old now. It needs someone who looks
> >> perfectly capable of slapping down an average six foot male.
>
> > Um... that was Claudia Black.
>
>         Did she marry someone named "Black"? Because it was Claudia Christian
> on the credits.

Does everybody prefer pulling stuff out of thin air (I could be
harsher) rather than hitting imdb?

Photos are available and they are clearly not the same woman.

Chris

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 22:10:3809/10/2009
para
On Oct 8, 7:47 pm, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
<tausti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jacey Bedford <lookin...@nospam.invalid> wrote innews:JrbuzeNL$kzK...@parkhead.demon.co.uk:

> > Whoever said that books have better visuals than movies was
> > right. Mostly right, anyway. Casting favourite characters would
> > be a nightmare.
>
> > In another thread I suggested Claudia Black to play Cordelia in
> > a movie of Cordelia's Honour.
>
> A thought I've had many times myself.
>
> > And I've just been thinking about who could possibly play Aral
> > Vorkosigan - a.k.a. 'The Butcher of Komarr'. Mutch as I don't
> > really watch many of his movies and I'm not really a fan I keep
> > coming back to Robert deNiro. He's stocky enough, his face looks
> > kinda lived in and he's got the gravitas.
>
> Possibly. Can't think of a better choice at the moment.

/old fart mode
Twenty years ago I would have suggested Hardy Kruger
/old fart mode

Chris

> > To continue through the Vorkosiverse to The Warrior's
> > Apprentice...
>

> > Casting Miles would be tough.  Bearing in mind the height
> > doesn't really matter because (as on LOTR) tall people can be
> > filmed to look short... Hmmm... David Tennant could have the
> > right frenetic energy, though he's not really as I imagine Miles
> > to be facially and he's a bit - well - long and skinny.
>
> Except he doesn't look short, he looks like a dwarf. The
> proportions are wrong. Would never work. It would have to be a real
> dward, or some extensive cgi.
>

> > Maybe it would need someone not all that well known. Young Miles
> > could possibly be played by Ryan Sampson (who was Rattigan the
> > boy genius in the two-part season four Dr Who (Sontaran
> > Stratagem/The Poison Sky). Sampson is only 5'4" and though is
> > playing age is 16-20 he's actually in his mid 20s (born 28
> > November 1985).
> >http://www.spotlight.com/interactive/cv/1/a828/M86641.html
>
> And Clive Owen for That Idiot Ivan.
>
> > Bothari, however... hmm....
>
> Tough one, since the guy who played Lyrch is too old (if he's even
> still alive, which seems doubtful).

Mark Reichert

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 22:15:5009/10/2009
para
On Oct 9, 1:41 pm, Jacey Bedford <lookin...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Well, you're looking for someone who can play a very active intelligent
> 40 year old. I know Claudia Black's colouring is wrong  but she's got a
> wide acting range.

She also fits the strong featured description of Cordelia.

Angelica Huston might have fit the role decades ago.

> >> And I've just been thinking about who could possibly play Aral
> >> Vorkosigan - a.k.a. 'The Butcher of Komarr'. Mutch as I don't really
> >> watch many of his movies and I'm not really a fan I keep coming back to
> >> Robert deNiro. He's stocky enough, his face looks kinda lived in and
> >> he's got the gravitas.
>
> >Probably a good choice. He can be menacing indeed.

Oliver Reed was who Lois had in mind when writing Aral in Shards.
People might keep that in mind for picking the current equivalent.

> >Neil Patrick Harris (aka Dr Horrible) has the right kind of face. And energy
> >too. And looks crazy enough :-)
>
> I'll give him the crazy part but I don't see him as Miles.

As far as I'm concerned, we're looking for the current equivalent of
Michael J. Fox. Who had the energy and talent for the role in the
80's and was only 5-6 inches too tall.

Danny Strong, Jonathan of Buffy (and screenwriter of HBO's movie
Recount on the 2000 debacle) was suggested here awhile back. A scene
in the Buffy episode Superstar in which he is commanding much bigger
soldiers was highly similar to Miles. He is only 3-4 inches too tall.

> Oooh... I know it's the name, but I always have David McCallum in my
> head. It's that old Illya Kuriakin connection in my subconscious.

Given that Lois had him in mind in the first place.....

David Johnston

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 22:51:1109/10/2009
para
On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 19:15:50 -0700 (PDT), Mark Reichert
<Mark_R...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Oct 9, 1:41�pm, Jacey Bedford <lookin...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> Well, you're looking for someone who can play a very active intelligent
>> 40 year old. I know Claudia Black's colouring is wrong �but she's got a
>> wide acting range.
>
>She also fits the strong featured description of Cordelia.
>
>Angelica Huston might have fit the role decades ago.

>> >Probably a good choice. He can be menacing indeed.
>
>Oliver Reed was who Lois had in mind when writing Aral in Shards.

Well Aral was a bit of a drinker.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 22:55:0109/10/2009
para

IMDB is like Google; for the weak.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 23:02:1309/10/2009
para
David Johnston <da...@block.net> wrote in

> On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 16:10:43 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
> <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> There's also ... not sure what it's called, insufficient
>>> growth hormone dwarfism, which results in very short adults,
>>> like "Major Tom Thumb" who worked for P. T. Barnum's circus.
>>> You don't often notice people with this condition these days,
>>> because when they're diagnosed as kids, they get growth
>>> hormone injections and grow to normal size adults.
>>>
>>What would have been called a midget in days gone by. In any
>>event, Miles is very consistently described as "a hunchbacked
>>dwarf" throughout the series.
>
> I don't think he actually has a hump though, just severe spinal
> curvature.

Yes.

> In fact I've got the impression that if he could
> straighten up he wouldn't be all that short.

Later books mentioned he had picked up several inches due to the
various corrective surgeries to straighten the spine. Might have
finally made 5', even.

--
Terry Austin

Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole. - David
Bilek

Yeah, I had Terry confused with Hannibal Lecter. - Mike Schilling

Brenda Clough

não lida,
9 de out. de 2009, 23:38:2809/10/2009
para

This is going to be dificult to cast. I suggest picking an actor of the
right type and face, and resorting to costume cleverness and film
trickery to get him to look slightly deformed and rather short. All you
would need is properly padded jackets, and perhaps a thicker sole on one
shoe to force an uneven posture. No nude scenes, of course.

Brenda

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 00:14:3010/10/2009
para
Brenda Clough <Bre...@sff.net> wrote in

There are actually (implied) nude scenes in at least two books.

Wayne Throop

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 00:47:3610/10/2009
para
:: Oooh... I know it's the name, but I always have David McCallum in my

:: head. It's that old Illya Kuriakin connection in my subconscious.

: Mark Reichert <Mark_R...@hotmail.com>
: Given that Lois had him in mind in the first place.....

"What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
"Illia Kuriakin."
--- Todd and Gibbs, re Dr. Mallard

Wayne Throop thr...@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw

David DeLaney

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 00:54:4110/10/2009
para
Mike Van Pelt <m...@web1.calweb.com> wrote:
>Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Except he doesn't look short, he looks like a dwarf. The
>>proportions are wrong. Would never work. It would have to be a
>>real dward, or some extensive cgi.
>
>You're thinking of achondroplastic (probably mispelled)
>dwarfism, which is a genetic condition. There's no indication
>that Miles is proportioned that way. His dwarfism is not due
>to any genetics. I recall his descriptions as being more or
>less normally proportioned (though skinny?) but very short.

Yep. He's missing height - the bones didn't grow right. He's not missing
muscle mass, etc. (I had a friend in college who was missing a few vertebrae
out of his spine; he was short, stocky, but not dwarf-proportioned.)

Also, whichever actor you get to play him? Has to be able to move at
restrained hyper-speed most of the time AND always be moving like he's
making sure he won't break a bone in the next few seconds. Miles' childhood
experiences have GOT to have altered the way he habitually moves in ways
that normal people usually never get.

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Anthony Frost

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 08:02:2210/10/2009
para
In message <haovjn$1314$1...@adenine.netfront.net>
Brenda Clough <Bre...@sff.net> wrote:

> Mike Schilling wrote:

> > Miles's head is overlarge for his body, though not grotesquely so.
>
> This is going to be dificult to cast. I suggest picking an actor of the
> right type and face, and resorting to costume cleverness and film
> trickery to get him to look slightly deformed and rather short. All you
> would need is properly padded jackets, and perhaps a thicker sole on one
> shoe to force an uneven posture. No nude scenes, of course.

Andy Serkis did quite a good job of a physically deformed character
(clad in just a loin cloth even) for a popular trilogy of films...

Anthony

John F. Eldredge

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 10:00:2210/10/2009
para

Of course, you weren't actually seeing Andy Serkis. You were seeing a
computer-generated image that mimicked Andy Serkis' movements.

--
John F. Eldredge -- jo...@jfeldredge.com

Louann Miller

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 11:36:1710/10/2009
para
"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in

>>> Did she marry someone named "Black"? Because it was Claudia
>>> Christian
>>> on the credits.
>>
>> Does everybody prefer pulling stuff out of thin air (I could be
>> harsher) rather than hitting imdb?
>>

> IMDB is like Google; for the weak.

Tall brunette actress, not an ingenue, playing hard-ass soldier, Babylon
5: Claudia Christian.

Tall brunette actress, not an ingenue, playing hard-ass soldier,
Farscape: Claudia Black.

(gets all violent using wet noodle as blunt instrument.)

Taki Kogoma

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 11:36:5310/10/2009
para
On 2009-10-10, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com>
allegedly proclaimed to rec.arts.sf.written:

> Brenda Clough <Bre...@sff.net> wrote in
>> Mike Schilling wrote:
>>> Miles's head is overlarge for his body, though not grotesquely
>>> so.
>>
>> This is going to be dificult to cast. I suggest picking an
>> actor of the right type and face, and resorting to costume
>> cleverness and film trickery to get him to look slightly
>> deformed and rather short. All you would need is properly
>> padded jackets, and perhaps a thicker sole on one shoe to force
>> an uneven posture. No nude scenes, of course.
>
> There are actually (implied) nude scenes in at least two books.

Somehow, I suspect significant cosmetic alterations to a filmed
version of "The Borders of Infinity". (Actually, I anticipate
alterations sufficient to render it unrecognizable.)

Then there's casting (post-op) Eli Quinn...

Also, we need an Ivan who somehow shows some family resemblance to
Miles. ("Miles minus the distortions" is one description that comes
to mind.)

--
Capt. Gym Z. Quirk (Known to some as Taki Kogoma) quirk @ swcp.com
Just an article detector on the Information Supercollider.

Mike Schilling

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 12:05:3610/10/2009
para
Taki Kogoma wrote:

> Then there's casting (post-op) Eli Quinn...

Charlize Theron, looking like herself but acting a bit like she did in
Monster.

> Also, we need an Ivan who somehow shows some family resemblance to
> Miles. ("Miles minus the distortions" is one description that comes
> to mind.)

Brenden Fraser. He can play both smart and dumb, and could, I think,
do a fine job with
smart-but-acting-dumb-for-so-long-it's-become-second-nature.

erilar

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 12:34:1910/10/2009
para
In article
<b1324221-3d11-4387...@p35g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
Mark Reichert <Mark_R...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I'm concerned, we're looking for the current equivalent of
> Michael J. Fox. Who had the energy and talent for the role in the
> 80's and was only 5-6 inches too tall.

Oh, YES! I can't imagine anyone who could have played Miles better!
Drat!

Dorothy J Heydt

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 12:21:5210/10/2009
para
In article <haqbch$ke2$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

I'm coming to this thread late, so forgive me if I ask what
was answered long ago ... if Fraser is gonna play Ivan, who
in heck do you suggest to play Miles? Andy Serkis in his
Gollum outfit?

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Mike Schilling

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 13:28:4110/10/2009
para
Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <haqbch$ke2$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Mike Schilling <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Taki Kogoma wrote:
>>

>>> Then there's casting (post-op) Eli Quinn...
>>
>> Charlize Theron, looking like herself but acting a bit like she did
>> in Monster.
>>

>>> Also, we need an Ivan who somehow shows some family resemblance to
>>> Miles. ("Miles minus the distortions" is one description that
>>> comes
>>> to mind.)
>>
>> Brenden Fraser. He can play both smart and dumb, and could, I
>> think,
>> do a fine job with
>> smart-but-acting-dumb-for-so-long-it's-become-second-nature.
>
> I'm coming to this thread late, so forgive me if I ask what
> was answered long ago ... if Fraser is gonna play Ivan, who
> in heck do you suggest to play Miles? Andy Serkis in his
> Gollum outfit?

My suggestion was Peter Dinklage. There is some resemblence.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0227759/

Dorothy J Heydt

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 13:08:4610/10/2009
para
In article <drache-B6C3A3....@news.eternal-september.org>,

erilar <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>In article
><b1324221-3d11-4387...@p35g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
> Mark Reichert <Mark_R...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As far as I'm concerned, we're looking for the current equivalent of
>> Michael J. Fox. Who had the energy and talent for the role in the
>> 80's and was only 5-6 inches too tall.
>
>Oh, YES! I can't imagine anyone who could have played Miles better!
>Drat!

Oh, I can. David Rappaport.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 14:07:4110/10/2009
para
Taki Kogoma <qu...@swcp.com> wrote in

> On 2009-10-10, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
> <taus...@gmail.com> allegedly proclaimed to
> rec.arts.sf.written:
>> Brenda Clough <Bre...@sff.net> wrote in
>>>
>>> This is going to be dificult to cast. I suggest picking an
>>> actor of the right type and face, and resorting to costume
>>> cleverness and film trickery to get him to look slightly
>>> deformed and rather short. All you would need is properly
>>> padded jackets, and perhaps a thicker sole on one shoe to
>>> force an uneven posture. No nude scenes, of course.
>>
>> There are actually (implied) nude scenes in at least two books.
>
> Somehow, I suspect significant cosmetic alterations to a filmed
> version of "The Borders of Infinity". (Actually, I anticipate
> alterations sufficient to render it unrecognizable.)

I anticipate we will never see it filmed at all.

> Then there's casting (post-op) Eli Quinn...

Looks aren't a problem. Hot women are a dime a dozen. Finding
someone who can act is another story.

> Also, we need an Ivan who somehow shows some family resemblance
> to Miles. ("Miles minus the distortions" is one description
> that comes to mind.)

That depends on who gets cast a Miles, though.

Mark Reichert

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 15:52:4110/10/2009
para
On Oct 10, 12:08 pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
> In article <drache-B6C3A3.11341810102...@news.eternal-september.org>,

> erilar  <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
> >In article
> ><b1324221-3d11-4387-9671-f192638e0...@p35g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,

> > Mark Reichert <Mark_Reich...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> As far as I'm concerned, we're looking for the current equivalent of
> >> Michael J. Fox.  Who had the energy and talent for the role in the
> >> 80's and was only 5-6 inches too tall.
>
> >Oh, YES!  I can't imagine anyone who could have played Miles better!
> >Drat!
>
> Oh, I can.  David Rappaport.

This David Rappaport?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Rappaport

He was twice farther in height from Miles than Fox was and ten years
older.

He was closer in the misshaped body department than Fox. Could he
project the manic energy of Miles, which Fox certainly could before
the Parkinson's?

Dorothy J Heydt

não lida,
10 de out. de 2009, 16:47:1710/10/2009
para
In article <5d99b817-6dd8-448f...@w19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,

Mark Reichert <Mark_R...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Oct 10, 12:08�pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
>> In article <drache-B6C3A3.11341810102...@news.eternal-september.org>,
>>
>> erilar �<dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>> >In article
>> ><b1324221-3d11-4387-9671-f192638e0...@p35g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,

>> >Oh, YES! �I can't imagine anyone who could have played Miles better!
>> >Drat!
>>
>> Oh, I can. �David Rappaport.
>
>This David Rappaport?

The one and only.

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Rappaport
>
>He was twice farther in height from Miles than Fox was and ten years
>older.
>
>He was closer in the misshaped body department than Fox. Could he
>project the manic energy of Miles, which Fox certainly could before
>the Parkinson's?

You bet he could.

Jerry Brown

não lida,
11 de out. de 2009, 05:40:0811/10/2009
para
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 20:47:17 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>In article <5d99b817-6dd8-448f...@w19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
>Mark Reichert <Mark_R...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>On Oct 10, 12:08�pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

>>> Oh, I can. �David Rappaport.
>>
>>This David Rappaport?
>
>The one and only.
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Rappaport
>>
>>He was twice farther in height from Miles than Fox was and ten years
>>older.
>>
>>He was closer in the misshaped body department than Fox. Could he
>>project the manic energy of Miles, which Fox certainly could before
>>the Parkinson's?
>
>You bet he could.

Peter Dinklage has been mentioned a couple of times elsewhere. I add
my vote to those, as he has both the advantages of being alive and
(IMO) the range to play adult Miles in all his various manic,
depressed, etc phases. He was one of the few saving graces of
"Threshold" (a sort of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers: The Next
Generation" served up by the people who also gave us "Star Trek
Enterprise").

Jerry Brown
--
A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

<http://www.jwbrown.co.uk>

Jacey Bedford

não lida,
11 de out. de 2009, 20:34:4211/10/2009
para
In message <drache-B6C3A3....@news.eternal-september.org>,
erilar <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> writes

>In article
><b1324221-3d11-4387...@p35g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
> Mark Reichert <Mark_R...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As far as I'm concerned, we're looking for the current equivalent of
>> Michael J. Fox. Who had the energy and talent for the role in the
>> 80's and was only 5-6 inches too tall.
>
>Oh, YES! I can't imagine anyone who could have played Miles better!
>Drat!

Agreed, he would have been good.

Jacey
--
Jacey Bedford

Jacey Bedford

não lida,
11 de out. de 2009, 20:47:0311/10/2009
para
In message <haqbch$ke2$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Mike Schilling
<mscotts...@hotmail.com> writes
Too old now - but would have been perfect twenty years ago.

Jacey
--
Jacey Bedford

Jacey Bedford

não lida,
11 de out. de 2009, 20:46:0211/10/2009
para
In message <slrnhd1agl...@chishio.swcp.com>, Taki Kogoma
<qu...@swcp.com> writes

>On 2009-10-10, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com>
>allegedly proclaimed to rec.arts.sf.written:
>> Brenda Clough <Bre...@sff.net> wrote in
>>>
>>> This is going to be dificult to cast. I suggest picking an
>>> actor of the right type and face, and resorting to costume
>>> cleverness and film trickery to get him to look slightly
>>> deformed and rather short. All you would need is properly
>>> padded jackets, and perhaps a thicker sole on one shoe to force
>>> an uneven posture. No nude scenes, of course.
>>
>> There are actually (implied) nude scenes in at least two books.

Standing naked on the ice in solidarity with his troops on... One of the
early books (Warrior's Apprentice) for starters, not to mention the
adventures with Taura.

>Somehow, I suspect significant cosmetic alterations to a filmed
>version of "The Borders of Infinity". (Actually, I anticipate
>alterations sufficient to render it unrecognizable.)
>
>Then there's casting (post-op) Eli Quinn...

Roles like that tend to get cast by picking 'starlet of the month'

>Also, we need an Ivan who somehow shows some family resemblance to
>Miles. ("Miles minus the distortions" is one description that comes
>to mind.)

Have to cast Miles first...

Jacey

--
Jacey Bedford

Jacey Bedford

não lida,
11 de out. de 2009, 20:50:2411/10/2009
para
In message <haqg8b$qt9$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Mike Schilling
<mscotts...@hotmail.com> writes
I don't think Dinklage would work for me. (Only going by the IMDB
pictures.) His face isn't right. IIRC despite all else Miles still has
the face of an aristocrat. I think Dinklage looks much shorter in the
arms than Miles, and that would be difficult to disguise. He also looks
too old.

Jacey
--
Jacey Bedford

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
12 de out. de 2009, 02:31:0212/10/2009

> In message <slrnhd1agl...@chishio.swcp.com>, Taki Kogoma
> <qu...@swcp.com> writes
>>On 2009-10-10, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
>><taus...@gmail.com> allegedly proclaimed to
>>rec.arts.sf.written:
>>> Brenda Clough <Bre...@sff.net> wrote in

>>> There are actually (implied) nude scenes in at least two
>>> books.
>
> Standing naked on the ice in solidarity with his troops on...
> One of the early books (Warrior's Apprentice) for starters, not
> to mention the adventures with Taura.

A lot of it could easily be done as implied nudity (careful camera
angles), but the prison camp, that would be so obviously contrived
as to simply suck.

>>Somehow, I suspect significant cosmetic alterations to a filmed
>>version of "The Borders of Infinity". (Actually, I anticipate
>>alterations sufficient to render it unrecognizable.)
>>
>>Then there's casting (post-op) Eli Quinn...
>
> Roles like that tend to get cast by picking 'starlet of the
> month'

Eli, however, needs someone who can *act*.

>>Also, we need an Ivan who somehow shows some family resemblance
>>to Miles. ("Miles minus the distortions" is one description
>>that comes to mind.)
>
> Have to cast Miles first...

Indeed.

Walter Bushell

não lida,
14 de out. de 2009, 12:02:2014/10/2009
para
In article <Xns9CA1EF37020...@69.16.186.50>,

It would have to be done as a cartoon. Pardon me, animated feature.

--
A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
14 de out. de 2009, 12:24:5414/10/2009
para
Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote in

Why? What would be even slightly difficult to do live action?

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Dorothy J Heydt

não lida,
14 de out. de 2009, 13:09:0814/10/2009
para
In article <Xns9CA45FC6B3F...@69.16.186.50>,

All that moving forced-perspective. Still, I suppose they
worked most of the bugs out while filming _The Lord of the
Rings._ The moving forced-perspective bugs, I mean; not the
other ones.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
14 de out. de 2009, 13:39:1114/10/2009
para
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in

Plus, Miles isn't actually all *that* short. There's an excellent
chance no forced perspective would be needed.

Walter Bushell

não lida,
14 de out. de 2009, 21:23:2514/10/2009
para
In article <Xns9CA45FC6B3F...@69.16.186.50>,

Casting Miles. The others could be real live people. It might be cheaper
to animate the butter bugs, though.

Walter Bushell

não lida,
14 de out. de 2009, 21:25:2414/10/2009
para
In article <Xns9CA46C5E95...@69.16.186.7>,

You'd still need a charismatic short actor, women of normal size if he
looked straight forward he was looking into their "cleavage".

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
15 de out. de 2009, 01:12:1515/10/2009
para
Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote in

And? there are millions of actors, and many of them are, in fact,
short. There are man tales of taller actresses having to stand in
trenches to be shorter than their costars, and other such tricks.

--
Terry Austin

Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole. -
David Bilek

Yeah, I had Terry confused with Hannibal Lecter. - Mike Schilling

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
15 de out. de 2009, 01:13:0815/10/2009
para
Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote in

So could Miles, with trivial makeup and costuming. Far easier than
LotR.

> It might be
> cheaper to animate the butter bugs, though.

Most certainly, but not in a cartoonish way. No reason to.

--
Terry Austin

Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole. -
David Bilek

Yeah, I had Terry confused with Hannibal Lecter. - Mike Schilling

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

erilar

não lida,
15 de out. de 2009, 17:19:4915/10/2009
para
In article <proto-D29D97....@news.panix.com>,
Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote:

Or you could cast really tall women. . . 8-)

David Johnston

não lida,
15 de out. de 2009, 17:29:2115/10/2009
para
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 16:19:49 -0500, erilar
<dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

>In article <proto-D29D97....@news.panix.com>,
> Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <Xns9CA46C5E95...@69.16.186.7>,
>> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Plus, Miles isn't actually all *that* short. There's an excellent
>> > chance no forced perspective would be needed.
>>
>> You'd still need a charismatic short actor, women of normal size if he
>> looked straight forward he was looking into their "cleavage".
>
>Or you could cast really tall women. . . 8-)

Invest in boxes...

Walter Bushell

não lida,
15 de out. de 2009, 22:34:1615/10/2009
para
In article <drache-2C28E1....@news.eternal-september.org>,
erilar <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <proto-D29D97....@news.panix.com>,
> Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <Xns9CA46C5E95...@69.16.186.7>,
> > Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Plus, Miles isn't actually all *that* short. There's an excellent
> > > chance no forced perspective would be needed.
> >
> > You'd still need a charismatic short actor, women of normal size if he
> > looked straight forward he was looking into their "cleavage".
>
> Or you could cast really tall women. . . 8-)

Torah, tora, Taura. Miles has problems with Jewish macrobiotic fanatics
and has to call on an old friend to help him out.

erilar

não lida,
16 de out. de 2009, 16:17:1916/10/2009
para
In article <515fd5pl10v62n0kv...@4ax.com>,
David Johnston <da...@block.net> wrote:

Didn't they do something like that for Alan Ladd?

David Johnston

não lida,
16 de out. de 2009, 16:59:1716/10/2009
para
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 15:17:19 -0500, erilar
<dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

>In article <515fd5pl10v62n0kv...@4ax.com>,
> David Johnston <da...@block.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 16:19:49 -0500, erilar
>> <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

>> >Or you could cast really tall women. . . 8-)
>>
>> Invest in boxes...
>
>Didn't they do something like that for Alan Ladd?

Uh-hunh. Boxes and trenches.

Dorothy J Heydt

não lida,
16 de out. de 2009, 18:00:0116/10/2009
para
In article <kjnhd5p9aaabmuamd...@4ax.com>,

David Johnston <da...@block.net> wrote:
>On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 15:17:19 -0500, erilar
><dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>In article <515fd5pl10v62n0kv...@4ax.com>,
>> David Johnston <da...@block.net> wrote:

>>> Invest in boxes...
>>
>>Didn't they do something like that for Alan Ladd?
>
>Uh-hunh. Boxes and trenches.

I thought that was Humphrey Bogart.

Mike Schilling

não lida,
16 de out. de 2009, 18:46:5416/10/2009
para
Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>>> Didn't they do something like that for Alan Ladd?
>>
>> Uh-hunh. Boxes and trenches.
>
> I thought that was Humphrey Bogart.

Bogart was 5'8". He needed something when acting next to Lauren Bacall
(also 5'8") or Ingrid Bergman (5'10"). But Alan Ladd was 5'5" and needed
help next to just about anyone.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

não lida,
16 de out. de 2009, 19:45:3016/10/2009
para
"Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in

You both sound like you believe this is an unusual problem.

--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

0 nova mensagem