Proxima b

The Starmaker

Aug 26, 2016, 1:14:11 PM8/26/16
Why are people looking for other planets? Are they still looking for water??

I go to the supermaket
i buy sparkling water.

Do people in the 'scientific community' know what "sparkling water" is?

oceans of sparkling water...

ancient oceans of sparkling water

(if they cannot find water, they find ancient water)

How would you like a glass of ancient water?

liquid anceint water

i before e except after c????

i think this is ancient inglish.

did i spel ancient right????

sorry, i was taught inglish by an assistant teacher who was an assistant to an assistant subsitiue teacher.

she didn't speak inglish...here name was Mrs. Maria.

The principle name she told me was Mister Johnny.

i think she was from Chili...

Where is Chili? Is that at the north or south pole?

I remember Chili Willy...

Proxima b....it's a Spanish planet, Right?

next to planet Mexico z

Where is planet Cha Cha Cha???

(don't drink the water)

SteveGG

Aug 28, 2016, 9:22:47 AM8/28/16
This, the very "nearest", is still over 4 light years away !

Obviously, there'll never be anything, "to and / or fro" .

Communications ?

"Hi !"
< 4+ years >
"Hi !"
<4+ years >
"Tell us about yourself."
< 4+ years >
etc, etc, etc ...

TB

Aug 28, 2016, 1:08:30 PM8/28/16
On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 6:22:47 AM UTC-7, SteveGG wrote:
> This, the very "nearest", is still over 4 light years away !
>
> Obviously, there'll never be anything, "to and / or fro" .
>
> Communications ?
>
> "Hi !"
> < 4+ years >
> "Hi !"
> <4+ years >
> "Tell us about yourself."
> < 4+ years >
> etc, etc, etc ...

Actually, it would be 8 + years between the time you send the message and the time you get a reply. Therefore you should just keep sending messages.

Michael F. Stemper

Aug 28, 2016, 2:32:43 PM8/28/16
On 2016-08-28 08:22, SteveGG wrote:
> This, the very "nearest", is still over 4 light years away !
>
> Obviously, there'll never be anything, "to and / or fro" .
>
> Communications ?
>
> "Hi !"
> < 4+ years >
> "Hi !"
> <4+ years >
> "Tell us about yourself."
> < 4+ years >
> etc, etc, etc ...

Asimov had the solution to this problem back in 1962, when he wrote
"My Son, the Physicist".

--
Michael F. Stemper
This post contains greater than 95% post-consumer bytes by weight.

The Starmaker

Aug 28, 2016, 3:23:47 PM8/28/16
Science fiction is just another word for...thought experiments, and 'thought experiments' is just another word for ...science fiction.

Relativity...is 'just a theory', a thought experirment..science fiction.

Relativity is science fiction, is it not? It's still a ...theory.

Relativity, possibly true but that is not known or proven to be true, ...a theory, just a theory.

To put it simply...

all theories are science fiction, because all science fiction are thought experiments, and
thought experiments is just another word for science fiction.

It's a loop you cannot get out of.

tsbr...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2016, 5:58:53 PM8/28/16
On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 11:32:43 AM UTC-7, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 2016-08-28 08:22, SteveGG wrote:
> > This, the very "nearest", is still over 4 light years away !
> >
> > Obviously, there'll never be anything, "to and / or fro" .
> >
> > Communications ?
> >
> > "Hi !"
> > < 4+ years >
> > "Hi !"
> > <4+ years >
> > "Tell us about yourself."
> > < 4+ years >
> > etc, etc, etc ...
>
> Asimov had the solution to this problem back in 1962, when he wrote
> "My Son, the Physicist".

Would even the physicist's Mom stand for a conversation that involves an 8 year round trip?

David DeLaney

Aug 29, 2016, 12:43:51 AM8/29/16
On 2016-08-28, SteveGG <casagi...@optonline.net> wrote:
> This, the very "nearest", is still over 4 light years away !
>
> Obviously, there'll never be anything, "to and / or fro" .
>
> Communications ?
>
> "Hi !"
>< 4+ years >
> "Hi !"
><4+ years >
> "Tell us about yourself."
>< 4+ years >
> etc, etc, etc ...

Asimov solved this decades ago: "Just keep talking.".

Dave, redundancy may occur. so what?
website on VIC is down, probably for good - oh well/ I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

The Starmaker

Aug 29, 2016, 1:32:16 PM8/29/16
SteveGG wrote:

> This, the very "nearest", is still over 4 light years away !
>
> Obviously, there'll never be anything, "to and / or fro" .
>
> Communications ?
>
> "Hi !"
> < 4+ years >
> "Hi !"
> <4+ years >
> "Tell us about yourself."
> < 4+ years >
> etc, etc, etc ...

i think if you use a little....science fiction, you can cut down to
a few seconds.

SteveGG

Aug 31, 2016, 7:00:43 AM8/31/16
Essentially, all science agrees, that we'll be limited to 3E8
meters/second, and typically far, far less. Take it from there ..

J. Clarke

Aug 31, 2016, 8:03:56 PM8/31/16
In article <hvddsbtrctljstub2...@4ax.com>,
casagi...@optonline.net says...

> Essentially, all science agrees, that we'll be limited to 3E8
> meters/second, and typically far, far less. Take it from there ..

For certain values of "all science" that do not include General
Relativity.