[A Bunch of Bujolds] The Warrior's Apprentice (Miles Vorkosigan, book 1) by Lois McMaster Bujold

James Nicoll

Mar 16, 2018, 8:15:43 AM3/16/18
The Warrior's Apprentice (Miles Vorkosigan, book 1) by Lois McMaster Bujold

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/under-pressure

Scott Lurndal

Mar 16, 2018, 10:00:12 AM3/16/18
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) writes:
>The Warrior's Apprentice (Miles Vorkosigan, book 1) by Lois McMaster Bujold
>
>https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/under-pressure

Exposure to a Toxic gas (it's even in the name, Soltoxin).

Exposure to a Lethal gas is, well, lethal.

Robert Woodward

Mar 16, 2018, 1:03:46 PM3/16/18
In article <I5QqC.4570$q15...@fx34.iad>,
Not if the antidote was administered in time. In this particular case,
it was the antidote that did the damage.

Robert Woodward robe...@drizzle.com

David Johnston

Mar 16, 2018, 1:17:46 PM3/16/18
On 2018-03-16 6:15 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> The Warrior's Apprentice (Miles Vorkosigan, book 1) by Lois McMaster Bujold
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/under-pressure

Beta isn't a crapsack setting just because they treat all crime as the
product of mental illness. It's just weird.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Mar 16, 2018, 2:46:49 PM3/16/18
David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote in
One liberal's paradise is another libertarian's hell.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

William Hyde

Mar 16, 2018, 2:59:34 PM3/16/18
On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 2:46:49 PM UTC-4, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
> > On 2018-03-16 6:15 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> >> The Warrior's Apprentice (Miles Vorkosigan, book 1) by Lois
> >> McMaster Bujold
> >>
> >> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/under-pressure
> >>

> > Beta isn't a crapsack setting just because they treat all crime
> > as the product of mental illness. It's just weird.
>
> One liberal's paradise is another libertarian's hell.

Hell is other libertarians.

William Hyde

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Mar 16, 2018, 4:03:51 PM3/16/18
William Hyde <wthyd...@gmail.com> wrote in
I've always seen Star Trek: The Next Generation, with mind reading
ship's counselors to *force* people to be happy, as a very, very
dystopic future.

Mike Van Pelt

Mar 16, 2018, 5:13:55 PM3/16/18
In article <p8gu7l$197p$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
As I recall from Cordelia's little run-in with them, Beta *treats*
all mental illness. Consent does not enter into it, at all, and
"danger to self or others" is not a factor.

And as in the bad old Soviet Union, mental illness is defined
as having a perspective on reality that differs from "reality"
as the authorities choose to define it.

Disagreeing with Things The Authorities Know For certain
("Come on, Barrayarans aren't all monsters. Aral has some
good qualities, and he did not abuse me.") will get you ...
"treated"... Until you agree with whatever facts (real or
"alternate") the authorities believe. Or profess to believe.

Know what the authorities expect you to believe and be
willing to parrot it back to them, and Beta seems to be
a pretty nice place.

To me, that's sort of a "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln,
how did you enjoy the play?" condition.

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane

Panthera Tigris Altaica

Mar 16, 2018, 5:24:39 PM3/16/18
On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 4:03:51 PM UTC-4, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> William Hyde <wthyd...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 2:46:49 PM UTC-4, Jibini Kula
> > Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> >> David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> >> One liberal's paradise is another libertarian's hell.
> >
> > Hell is other libertarians.
> >
> I've always seen Star Trek: The Next Generation, with mind reading
> ship's counselors to *force* people to be happy, as a very, very
> dystopic future.

If you merely think very loudly at the counselor whenever she gets into sight of exactly how happy doing certain things to her would make you, she would probably make sure to never be alone with you. If you then include whoever else is in the room in whatever it is that would make you happy, then she might stay as far away from you as she possibly can. If you never actually act on your thoughts, even the bald French captain could do little about it. Hmm. Perhaps a little low-level holodeck programming would be appropriate.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Mar 16, 2018, 5:36:27 PM3/16/18
m...@web1.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt) wrote in

> In article <p8gu7l$197p$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
> David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>On 2018-03-16 6:15 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>>> The Warrior's Apprentice (Miles Vorkosigan, book 1) by Lois
>>> McMaster Bujold
>>>
>>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/under-pressure
>>>
>>Beta isn't a crapsack setting just because they treat all crime
>>as the product of mental illness. It's just weird.
>
> As I recall from Cordelia's little run-in with them, Beta
> *treats* all mental illness. Consent does not enter into it, at
> all, and "danger to self or others" is not a factor.

Actually, there's a conversation in Cordelia's apartment about
patient consent, and it's very clear that the law requires it. They
just don't care in her case.

> And as in the bad old Soviet Union, mental illness is defined
> as having a perspective on reality that differs from "reality"
> as the authorities choose to define it.

That interpretation comes from you, not the text of the book. They
(say they) believe she has been programmed by Barrayran
intelligence, and as a matter of national security, need to
deprogram her. That's really *all* that's said explicitly. One
could also interpret it as her being too valuable a propaganda tool
for the current adminstration to allow any possibilty of errors in
following the script. For instance.

So, as usual, you're full of shit.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Mar 16, 2018, 5:37:55 PM3/16/18
Panthera Tigris Altaica <northe...@outlook.com> wrote in

> On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 4:03:51 PM UTC-4, Jibini Kula
> Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>> William Hyde <wthyd...@gmail.com> wrote in

>> > Hell is other libertarians.
>> >
>> I've always seen Star Trek: The Next Generation, with mind
>> reading ship's counselors to *force* people to be happy, as a
>> very, very dystopic future.
>>

> If you merely think very loudly at the counselor whenever she
> gets into sight of exactly how happy doing certain things to her
> would make you, she would probably make sure to never be alone
> with you.

I belive that, even in the 24th century, they have sedatives. And
restrainging straps.

David Johnston

Mar 16, 2018, 6:12:50 PM3/16/18
On 2018-03-16 3:13 PM, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
> In article <p8gu7l$197p$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
> David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On 2018-03-16 6:15 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>>> The Warrior's Apprentice (Miles Vorkosigan, book 1) by Lois McMaster Bujold
>>>
>>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/under-pressure
>>>
>> Beta isn't a crapsack setting just because they treat all crime as the
>> product of mental illness. It's just weird.
>
> As I recall from Cordelia's little run-in with them, Beta *treats*
> all mental illness. Consent does not enter into it, at all, and
> "danger to self or others" is not a factor.

You recall incorrectly. In that scene not only were they bending the
hell out of their normal laws out of wartime hysteria ala Japanese
internment, but had to resort to the work-around of getting next-of-kin
consent. There's a big difference between "not perfect" and "dystopia".

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Mar 16, 2018, 6:33:50 PM3/16/18
David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote in
And the conditions of the moment were extraordinary.

Panthera Tigris Altaica

Mar 16, 2018, 8:46:58 PM3/16/18
Except that I hadn't acted on my thoughts. And if the counselor simply stays away, I would never act on my thoughts. Launching a pre-emptive strike would not be something that the bald French captain would support. (The bald black captain probably would, but he doesn't have a counselor, and he, famously, is NOT Picard. Janeway definitely would pre-empt. Kirk, now, the counselor would probably avoid him even more than me.

Ninapenda Jibini

Mar 16, 2018, 10:26:54 PM3/16/18
Panthera Tigris Altaica <northe...@outlook.com> wrote in
You are assuming today's rule of law protections. There are
episodes to suggest that is overly optomistic.

--
Terry Austin

William Hyde

Mar 16, 2018, 10:37:11 PM3/16/18
On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 4:03:51 PM UTC-4, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
> William Hyde <wthyd...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 2:46:49 PM UTC-4, Jibini Kula
> > Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> >> David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> >> One liberal's paradise is another libertarian's hell.
> >
> > Hell is other libertarians.
> >
> I've always seen Star Trek: The Next Generation,

Whereas I've never seen it.

with mind reading
> ship's counselors to *force* people to be happy, as a very, very
> dystopic future.

I agree entirely. I'd be very unhappy if I couldn't be unhappy.

William Hyde

Ninapenda Jibini

Mar 17, 2018, 1:06:08 AM3/17/18

> On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 4:03:51 PM UTC-4, Ninapenda Jibini
> wrote:
>> William Hyde <wthyd...@gmail.com> wrote in

>> > Hell is other libertarians.
>> >
>> I've always seen Star Trek: The Next Generation,
>
> Whereas I've never seen it.

There are a handful of episodes that are quite good. Mostly,
though, it's full of characters you just want to punch in the face.

> with mind reading
>> ship's counselors to *force* people to be happy, as a very,
>> very dystopic future.
>
> I agree entirely. I'd be very unhappy if I couldn't be unhappy.

Some people need *something* to complain about, even if it's that
they have nothing to complain about.

--
Terry Austin

Dimensional Traveler

Mar 17, 2018, 1:49:10 AM3/17/18
Or make-up things to complain about.

instinct are running screaming.

Juho Julkunen

Mar 17, 2018, 7:57:11 AM3/17/18
In article <XnsA8A7E0D57A376...@69.16.179.42>,
taus...@gmail.com says...

> William Hyde <wthyd...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 4:03:51 PM UTC-4, Ninapenda Jibini
> > wrote:

> >> I've always seen Star Trek: The Next Generation,
> >
> > Whereas I've never seen it.
>
> There are a handful of episodes that are quite good. Mostly,
> though, it's full of characters you just want to punch in the face.

A friend of mine developed a theory that NCC-1701-D was supposed to be
the flagship of the fleet until they realised it's so shoddily built
all the systems fail as soon as somebody looks at it funny.

At that point it was relegated to exploration and general errand
running, and became the supposedly prestigious dumping ground for
officers who nobody else wanted on their ships.

--
Juho Julkunen

Ninapenda Jibini

Mar 17, 2018, 2:15:54 PM3/17/18
Juho Julkunen <giao...@hotmail.com> wrote in
That would be consistent with the *real* "Picard Manuever" (famous
from the pilot episode), which is "Throw all your weapons at the
enemy's feat and *demand* his terms for your surrender."

Panthera Tigris Altaica

Mar 17, 2018, 4:44:07 PM3/17/18
I'm assuming that the bald French captain won't do anything, umm, undiplomatic, and that the counselor cannot do much without his active assistance. Especially if doing something might result in her being alone with me for just long enough. On the other had, if she keeps her distance we'll get along just fine.

Ninapenda Jibini

Mar 17, 2018, 9:49:30 PM3/17/18
Panthera Tigris Altaica <northe...@outlook.com> wrote in
You, and not the people who actually rant the show, would get to
decide what would happen.

This is why you look stupid.

Except it's not just a look for you, is it?

Panthera Tigris Altaica

Mar 20, 2018, 6:03:50 PM3/20/18
Yes, I did assume that. If the counselor had been removed completely from the show and if the bald French captain had grown a spinte it would have made for a more interesting show. As it was, I never did watch most episodes of TNG past the 5th season. I only saw two episodes of the 7th season and have little interest in seeing any more.

As usual you went Full Terry (tm) when the conversation went in a direction differently from the one you wanted. I had expected this rather earlier. Your reaction was late, but totally expected.

Ninapenda Jibini

Mar 20, 2018, 11:11:48 PM3/20/18

> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 9:49:30 PM UTC-4, Ninapenda
> Jibini wrote:
>> Panthera Tigris Altaica <northe...@outlook.com> wrote in

Which makes you stupid.

> As usual you went Full Terry (tm) when the conversation went in
> a direction differently from the one you wanted.

When the fish jump in the boat and club themsleves to death with an
oar, all that's left is the barbecue sauce.