Badass flowers

J. Clarke

Aug 23, 2015, 9:37:30 AM8/23/15

Incentivized by the threat of a $127,000 a year fine from the lawn
police (no, I am not joking) and enabled by my new job although it meant
spending money that I had intended for something that to anyone other
than the lawn police would be more urgent, I obtained a large powerful
new lawnmower and started doing battle with the yard.

All was going well until I discovered, to my joy and dismay, that I have
been invaded by Rugosa Roses, aka Killer Attack Roses.

Joy because they have always fascinated me. Dismay because I have to
deal with them.

I had read about them but never encountered them personally. There was
an innocuous looking clump of brambles in the middle of the yard. I
drove my charger, all 900 pounds of it (including me) at the beast, 22
horses screaming defiance, and stalled. I restarted, backed up, hit it
again, stalled. So I tried going at it incrementally. It hooked onto
the drive belt for the mower, pulled that off, grabbed me, and hauled me
out of the saddle, missing blinding me by a half inch in the process.
Once I detached myself I took inventory and realized that I looked like
I had gone a couple of rounds with this cat
<https://catmacros.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/this-cat/>.

So, far as I'm concerned, the roses are flowers in flowerbeds and if the
damned lawn police don't like it they're welcome to discuss the matter
with the roses and bad cess to them.

Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are there?
I know about the Triffids, and
Audrey, but are there any others?

Mike Dworetsky

Aug 23, 2015, 9:54:34 AM8/23/15
The fields of reflecting sunflowers in Ringworld that concentrated sunlight
onto any flying object, and fried it to a crisp.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 23, 2015, 11:45:03 AM8/23/15
In article <hoSdnSYhEdEKTUTI...@supernews.com>,
There's always the knock-out poppies in _The Wizard of Oz._

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

J. Clarke

Aug 23, 2015, 12:13:25 PM8/23/15
In article <hoSdnSYhEdEKTUTI...@supernews.com>, platinum198
@pants.btinternet.com says...
Thank you. I had forgotten about those.

J. Clarke

Aug 23, 2015, 12:22:15 PM8/23/15
In article <ntJL1...@kithrup.com>, djh...@kithrup.com says...
I'm undecided on those--they're lethal enough but more passive than I
was considering.

Wolffan

Aug 23, 2015, 12:50:08 PM8/23/15
On 23 Aug 2015, Mike Dworetsky wrote
(in article<hoSdnSYhEdEKTUTI...@supernews.com>):

> > Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are
> > there? I know about the Triffids, and
> > Audrey, but are there any others?
>
> The fields of reflecting sunflowers in Ringworld that concentrated sunlight
> onto any flying object, and fried it to a crisp.

Stage trees, Niven again, in “A Relic of the Empire” and _World of
Ptavvs_

A large assortment of flora in James H. Schmitz’s Nandy-Cline stories,
particularly _The Tuvela_, a.k.a. _The Demon Breed_. Nile Etland would have
beeb in big(ger) trouble without them. Grandpa from Schmitz’s “Grandpa”
might also be considered plantlike.

Several talking plants in James White’s Sector General stories, plus Groot
from Guardians of the Galaxy (Vin Diesel’s finest role...)

the Thing in the movie _The Thing_, though it didn’t look very plantlike to
me and certainly wasn’t considered a plant either in the John Campbell
short which allegedly inspired the movie (“Who Goes There”) or in the
remakes of the movie. (The 2011 remake is not worth watching. Even Vin Diesel
could have done better, and has.)

Assorted fungi and flora in many, many stories set on Venus during the
“It’s a hot wet swamp” period, though the animals usually got top
billing. Honeysuckle plays a major role in David Drake’s more recent Seas
of Venus books. Plants are also a major plot point in at least one of his
Lacey stories, though there they’re featured ‘cause of certain electronic
add-ins.

assorted world trees, especially Yggdrasil, have featured in many SF stories

the poppies in Oz

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Aug 23, 2015, 1:11:25 PM8/23/15
In article <MPG.304397bec...@news.eternal-september.org>,
J. Clarke <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are there?
>I know about the Triffids, and
>Audrey, but are there any others?

There's Herby from "The Piecemakers" by Laumer.

Possibly something from Boyd's _The Polinators of Eden_, but
I could never get more than a few pages into that.

There were the seeds from Mars that brought down the Iterloo
in a GA classic whose name I can't dredge up.

Arguably Foster's _Midworld_.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Robert Carnegie

Aug 23, 2015, 1:24:29 PM8/23/15
All the wildlife in Harry Harrison's _Deathworld_ is, as
the title implies, deadly, including plants. But I don't
recall any specifics.

I think Star Trek episodes "The Apple" and "The Way to Eden"
both include difficult plants, including a flower with
projectile thorns in "The Apple", but I don't know how they
make it into James Blish's short-story versions. "This Side
of Paradise" also has a notable role for flowers. I think
it's the first time that Spock gets a romantic storyline.

(Maybe the people in the "Eden" episode should have
just gone to the "Paradise" planet. They'd have got
on much better, and it's not like they'd be a great
loss to society.)

The series starting with _The Deathworms of Kratos_
includes various nasty vegetation. I think there's
something in there that's rather like a pitcher plant
except that it pitches you into its "stomach" itself
using prehensile vines. I think the planet-provers
go around tossing grenades in to blow them up.

Bill Dugan

Aug 23, 2015, 1:40:04 PM8/23/15
The Whomping Willow in Harry Potter.
The tangle trees in Xanth.

David DeLaney

Aug 23, 2015, 1:55:24 PM8/23/15
On 2015-08-23, J. Clarke <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are there?
> I know about the Triffids, and
> Audrey, but are there any others?

Schmitz's Grandpa would probably qualify. The Discworld has some rather
deadly-type plants and flowers... currently reading through the Discworld
fanfic of one A.A. Pessimal, which focuses mainly on the Assassin's Guild, and
one of the original characters introduced is a Mrs. Davinia Bellamy, who
received an invitation to join the Guild [*] as a Mature Candidate.

She was a florist and botanist, and discovered _after_ she'd gotten married and
had three kids and a career that her floral knowledge could be used to ... help
out ... the odd battered wife, or woman married to a child-abuser, or the like.
In rather permanent and unexpected ways. Unexpected by the husband and Watch,
anyway.

Dave

[*] No pressure, no coercion, answer freely and of our own will, it's just that
if you answer "no" you're aware that Sir Samuel Vimes and his merry crew are
waiting to take you in and introduce you to a rather unpleasant legal
consequence...
http://gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd/ -net.legends/Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

David DeLaney

Aug 23, 2015, 1:57:15 PM8/23/15
On 2015-08-23, Wolffan <AKWo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 Aug 2015, Mike Dworetsky wrote
>> > Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are
>> > there? I know about the Triffids, and
>> > Audrey, but are there any others?
>
> Several talking plants in James White???s Sector General stories, plus Groot
> from Guardians of the Galaxy (Vin Diesel???s finest role...)

And, this reminded me, at least a couple floral races in the Well World series,
one of which I seem to remember was Always Neutral Evil essentially?

Dave

David DeLaney

Aug 23, 2015, 2:01:38 PM8/23/15
On 2015-08-23, Ted Nolan <tednolan> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:
> J. Clarke <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are there?
>>I know about the Triffids, and
>>Audrey, but are there any others?
>
> There's Herby from "The Piecemakers" by Laumer.
>
> Possibly something from Boyd's _The Polinators of Eden_, but
> I could never get more than a few pages into that.
>
> There were the seeds from Mars that brought down the Iterloo
> in a GA classic whose name I can't dredge up.
>
> Arguably Foster's _Midworld_.

The Trenconian tumbleweeds and other flora, in the Lensman series.

There's various descriptions of nasty fauna in the Eastern quadrant of Creation
in White Wolf's Exalted series, including the incredibly creepy Forest of Arms,
one small (relatively) area where _everything_ living is deadly poisonous, and
a glass-type forest with extreme slashing damage danger. Exalted's Malfeas,
the exile-dimension/demon-king-turned-inside-out, also has no natural
vegetation, but has things like the metallic forest that is the Yozi (elder
demon, formerly a Primordial) Szoreny, with sundry hazards involved.

Brian M. Scott

Aug 23, 2015, 2:33:28 PM8/23/15
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 09:42:23 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote
in<news:MPG.304397bec...@news.eternal-september.org>
in rec.arts.sf.written:

[...]

> Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal
> flowers are there? I know about the Triffids, and
> Audrey, but are there any others?

There’s some truly vicious vegetation in David Drake’s
_Redliners_. The ‘weeds’ in Graydon Saunders’s Commonweal
novels are even worse.

I don’t recall the details, but at some point Zelazny’s
Dilvish was almost killed by some flowers. There’s
Tolkien’s Old Man Willow.

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered

David Johnston

Aug 23, 2015, 2:55:16 PM8/23/15
In one of the Thongor books they had an upgrade that first tranquilized
you then wrapped around you and used their thorns to slowly drain your
blood, turning the white blossoms red.

J. Clarke

Aug 23, 2015, 2:55:17 PM8/23/15
In article <0001HW.1B8A30FB00...@news.newsguy.com>,
AKWo...@gmail.com says...

> On 23 Aug 2015, Mike Dworetsky wrote
> (in article<hoSdnSYhEdEKTUTI...@supernews.com>):
>
> > > Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are
> > > there? I know about the Triffids, and
> > > Audrey, but are there any others?
> >
> > The fields of reflecting sunflowers in Ringworld that concentrated sunlight
> > onto any flying object, and fried it to a crisp.
>
> Stage trees, Niven again, in ?A Relic of the Empire? and _World of
> Ptavvs_

I guess that they're almost as badass as the roses--you do have to light
them before they kill you though.

> A large assortment of flora in James H. Schmitz?s Nandy-Cline stories,
> particularly _The Tuvela_, a.k.a. _The Demon Breed_. Nile Etland would have
> beeb in big(ger) trouble without them. Grandpa from Schmitz?s ?Grandpa?
> might also be considered plantlike.

I reread that one recently. Now I need to reread it again. However I
don't get much out of it, ever, because I continue, decades later, to be
distracted by the image from the cover on the magazine in which I first
read it of an exceedingly delicious bikini clad Dr. Etland with the
otters.

> Several talking plants in James White?s Sector General stories,

Never read any of those.

> plus Groot
> from Guardians of the Galaxy (Vin Diesel?s finest role...)

How can I forget Groot? Oh, I know--I'm old and it was recent.

> the Thing in the movie _The Thing_, though it didn?t look very plantlike to
> me and certainly wasn?t considered a plant either in the John Campbell
> short which allegedly inspired the movie (?Who Goes There?) or in the
> remakes of the movie. (The 2011 remake is not worth watching. Even Vin Diesel
> could have done better, and has.)

Yep, the alien carrot certainly counts.

> Assorted fungi and flora in many, many stories set on Venus during the
> ?It?s a hot wet swamp? period, though the animals usually got top
> billing. Honeysuckle plays a major role in David Drake?s more recent Seas
> of Venus books. Plants are also a major plot point in at least one of his
> Lacey stories, though there they?re featured ?cause of certain electronic
> add-ins.

I forgot about those as well.

> assorted world trees, especially Yggdrasil, have featured in many SF stories
>
> the poppies in Oz

I just remembered the Gummidgy (I think I spelled it right) Orchid,
which I don't believe we ever got to see in action.

J. Clarke

Aug 23, 2015, 2:56:06 PM8/23/15
In article <4a1kta19k4eg8tu5l...@4ax.com>,
wkd...@ix.netcom.com says...
Definitely.

J. Clarke

Aug 23, 2015, 2:57:37 PM8/23/15
In article <5bOdnbivA6DklEfI...@earthlink.com>,
davidd...@earthlink.net says...

> On 2015-08-23, Wolffan <AKWo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 23 Aug 2015, Mike Dworetsky wrote
> >
> > Several talking plants in James White???s Sector General stories, plus Groot
> > from Guardians of the Galaxy (Vin Diesel???s finest role...)
>
> And, this reminded me, at least a couple floral races in the Well World series,
> one of which I seem to remember was Always Neutral Evil essentially?

Never even heard of that series before. Is it something I should check
out?

J. Clarke

Aug 23, 2015, 2:59:27 PM8/23/15
In article <emkp59lt7duf$.1nad0z6x3r2zr$.d...@40tude.net>,
b.s...@csuohio.edu says...

> On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 09:42:23 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote
> in<news:MPG.304397bec...@news.eternal-september.org>
> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
> [...]
>
> > Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal
> > flowers are there? I know about the Triffids, and
> > Audrey, but are there any others?
>
> There?s some truly vicious vegetation in David Drake?s
> _Redliners_. The ?weeds? in Graydon Saunders?s Commonweal
> novels are even worse.

While I've read a bit of Drake I never read Redliners, and don't know
Saunders at all.

> I don?t recall the details, but at some point Zelazny?s
> Dilvish was almost killed by some flowers. There?s
> Tolkien?s Old Man Willow.

While they aren't exactly flowers, the Ents once they make up their
minds to actually do something are certainly badass enough.

patmp...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2015, 3:14:16 PM8/23/15
A few years back there was a movie in which the trees emitted a poisonous gas. The Wall Street Journal wrote that this was a silly plot: why didn't they just us 2,4D to kill all the trees?

I thought that that WSJ review was the stupidest thing I'd ever read. How long would the human race last once all the trees were gone? I never read that newspaper again.

Ahasuerus

Aug 23, 2015, 4:37:29 PM8/23/15
On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 12:50:08 PM UTC-4, Wolffan wrote:
> On 23 Aug 2015, Mike Dworetsky wrote
> (in article<hoSdnSYhEdEKTUTI...@supernews.com>):
>
> > > Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are
> > > there? I know about the Triffids, and Audrey, but are there any
> > > others?
> >
> > The fields of reflecting sunflowers in Ringworld that concentrated
> > sunlight onto any flying object, and fried it to a crisp.

[snip-snip]

Simak's _All Flesh Is Grass_ (1965), at least for Simakian values
of "badass".

> the Thing in the movie _The Thing_ [snip]

There is also _Adéla Jeste Nevecerela_ (Czechoslovakia 1978), a
Nick Carter parody (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075633/combined)

Speaking of parodies, we shouldn't forget "Houseplants of Gor"
(http://1871atboe.tumblr.com/post/77291658097/houseplants-of-gor-the-spider-plant-cringed-as)!

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Aug 23, 2015, 5:00:42 PM8/23/15
In article <e9d97262-85fb-4f95...@googlegroups.com>,
Well, if you want to got to parodies -- how about things that weren't but
should have been?

http://tinyurl.com/nacnnk2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_KdE_zBCE4

J. Clarke

Aug 23, 2015, 6:18:09 PM8/23/15
In article <e9d97262-85fb-4f95...@googlegroups.com>,
ahas...@email.com says...
I'd like to see Borin try that on a rugosa rose.

J. Clarke

Aug 23, 2015, 6:23:09 PM8/23/15
In article <d3uqjn...@mid.individual.net>, t...@loft.tnolan.com
says...
That whole series should have been a parody of something.

Kevrob

Aug 23, 2015, 6:42:32 PM8/23/15
You may have only recently encountered Groot, but Groot
dates from 1960.

Marvel's TALES TO ASTONISH #13, Nov 1960, to be exact.

http://www.comics.org/issue/15942/cover/4/

> > the Thing in the movie _The Thing_, though it didn?t look very plantlike to
> > me and certainly wasn?t considered a plant either in the John Campbell
> > short which allegedly inspired the movie (?Who Goes There?) or in the
> > remakes of the movie. (The 2011 remake is not worth watching. Even Vin Diesel
> > could have done better, and has.)
>
> Yep, the alien carrot certainly counts.
>
> > Assorted fungi and flora in many, many stories set on Venus during the
> > ?It?s a hot wet swamp? period, though the animals usually got top
> > billing. Honeysuckle plays a major role in David Drake?s more recent Seas
> > of Venus books. Plants are also a major plot point in at least one of his
> > Lacey stories, though there they?re featured ?cause of certain electronic
> > add-ins.
>
> I forgot about those as well.
> >
> > assorted world trees, especially Yggdrasil, have featured in many SF stories
> >
> > the poppies in Oz
>
> I just remembered the Gummidgy (I think I spelled it right) Orchid,
> which I don't believe we ever got to see in action.

Ted Sturgeon's "It!" was plant-based, as was every copy of it in
the comics: The Heap, Solomon Grundy, The Man-Thing, The Swamp Thing,
Bog: Swamp Demon and anyone or anything else I am leaving out.

BTW, it seems the USDA considers rugosa roses to be noxious weeds.
Your local lawn police may want you to root them out.

Kevin R

Butch Malahide

Aug 23, 2015, 6:44:12 PM8/23/15
On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 12:11:25 PM UTC-5, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
> >

> >Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are there?
> >I know about the Triffids, and
> >Audrey, but are there any others?
>
> There's Herby from "The Piecemakers" by Laumer.
>
> Possibly something from Boyd's _The Polinators of Eden_, but
> I could never get more than a few pages into that.
>
> There were the seeds from Mars that brought down the Iterloo
> in a GA classic whose name I can't dredge up.
>
> Arguably Foster's _Midworld_.
> --
> ------
> columbiaclosings.com
> What's not in Columbia anymore..

The Itorloo story is "Seeds of the Dusk" by Raymond Z. Gallun.

For further fierce flowers see the orchid in "Green Thoughts" by
John Collier, the Floran in "Metamorphosite" by Eric Frank Russell,
the antholoby _Dangerous Vegetables_.

Butch Malahide

Aug 23, 2015, 7:03:37 PM8/23/15
Oops, EFR's Floran is a flower but is not especially scary, it's the Terran that's scary. Never mind! Oh, "antholoby" was supposed to be "anthology".

J. Clarke

Aug 23, 2015, 7:14:52 PM8/23/15
In article <4f54dc28-f904-4aef...@googlegroups.com>,
kev...@my-deja.com says...
Wasn't saying Groot was recent. Was saying I was having a senior moment
with regard to him. I was a DC kid, not a Marvel kid, and so the Marvel
universe is all new to me.

> > > the Thing in the movie _The Thing_, though it didn?t look very plantlike to
> > > me and certainly wasn?t considered a plant either in the John Campbell
> > > short which allegedly inspired the movie (?Who Goes There?) or in the
> > > remakes of the movie. (The 2011 remake is not worth watching. Even Vin Diesel
> > > could have done better, and has.)
> >
> > Yep, the alien carrot certainly counts.
> >
> > > Assorted fungi and flora in many, many stories set on Venus during the
> > > ?It?s a hot wet swamp? period, though the animals usually got top
> > > billing. Honeysuckle plays a major role in David Drake?s more recent Seas
> > > of Venus books. Plants are also a major plot point in at least one of his
> > > Lacey stories, though there they?re featured ?cause of certain electronic
> > > add-ins.
> >
> > I forgot about those as well.
> > >
> > > assorted world trees, especially Yggdrasil, have featured in many SF stories
> > >
> > > the poppies in Oz
> >
> > I just remembered the Gummidgy (I think I spelled it right) Orchid,
> > which I don't believe we ever got to see in action.
>
> Ted Sturgeon's "It!" was plant-based, as was every copy of it in
> the comics: The Heap, Solomon Grundy, The Man-Thing, The Swamp Thing,
> Bog: Swamp Demon and anyone or anything else I am leaving out.

Swamp Thing--how could I forget Swamp Thing. There was a girl in my
high school people used to call "Swamp Thing" for reasons that I never
understood.,

> BTW, it seems the USDA considers rugosa roses to be noxious weeds.
> Your local lawn police may want you to root them out.

If they want them rooted out, they're welcome to do so. I'll be happy
to pay the fines for the joy of watching them do it.

J. Clarke

Aug 23, 2015, 7:24:50 PM8/23/15
In article <MPG.30441f115...@news.eternal-september.org>,
j.clark...@gmail.com says...
I forgot to add, the lawn police if they did not have so much power
would be a joke. I doubt that they can tell a rugosa rose from a rug.

Dimensional Traveler

Aug 23, 2015, 7:30:05 PM8/23/15
On 8/23/2015 12:14 PM, patmp...@gmail.com wrote:
> A few years back there was a movie in which the trees emitted a poisonous gas. The Wall Street Journal wrote that this was a silly plot: why didn't they just us 2,4D to kill all the trees?
>
> I thought that that WSJ review was the stupidest thing I'd ever read. How long would the human race last once all the trees were gone? I never read that newspaper again.

The Happening. The movie was stupider than you feel the WSJ review was.

--
Veni, vidi, snarki.

Shawn Wilson

Aug 23, 2015, 7:33:50 PM8/23/15
On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 6:37:30 AM UTC-7, J. Clarke wrote:

> Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are there?
> I know about the Triffids, and
> Audrey, but are there any others?

Lovecraft's Elder Things are supposed to be plant based. You might count them.

Cryptoengineer

Aug 23, 2015, 7:34:53 PM8/23/15
Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> wrote in

> On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 12:50:08 PM UTC-4, Wolffan wrote:
>> On 23 Aug 2015, Mike Dworetsky wrote
>> (in article<hoSdnSYhEdEKTUTI...@supernews.com>):

>> > The fields of reflecting sunflowers in Ringworld that concentrated
>> > sunlight onto any flying object, and fried it to a crisp.
>
> [snip-snip]

Those sunflowers are grateful that nocturnal herbivores don't exist in
Known Space.

pt

Kevrob

Aug 23, 2015, 8:39:43 PM8/23/15
I've always been primarily a DC kid, and when ASTONISH 13 came out I was
just about to turn 4 and, in the unlikely event that my parents would have
allowed one of my elder siblings to have brought it home, I would only have
been able to look at the pictures.

I did catch on to Marvels in the mid-to-late 60s, even if I didn't have
the cash to add them to my must buy list. By the time I hit high school
I was following a lot of the Marvels, and when i was in college I was
buying most of their superhero and SF stuff. So, I read about Groot and
a bunch of the other pre-FF monsters in THE INCREDIBLE HULK ANNUAL #5,
1976. http://www.comics.org/issue/30316/cover/4/ Marvel was also
reprinting those old stories.

Note that Xenmu aka Xemu also appears. it was a real nice clambake.
It'd serve them right if you replaced the lawn with a rock garden.

Kevin R

Don Kuenz

Aug 23, 2015, 9:31:01 PM8/23/15

J. Clarke <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Incentivized by the threat of a $127,000 a year fine from the lawn
> police (no, I am not joking) and enabled by my new job although it meant
> spending money that I had intended for something that to anyone other
> than the lawn police would be more urgent, I obtained a large powerful
> new lawnmower and started doing battle with the yard.
>
> All was going well until I discovered, to my joy and dismay, that I have
> been invaded by Rugosa Roses, aka Killer Attack Roses.
>
> Joy because they have always fascinated me. Dismay because I have to
> deal with them.
>
> I had read about them but never encountered them personally. There was
> an innocuous looking clump of brambles in the middle of the yard. I
> drove my charger, all 900 pounds of it (including me) at the beast, 22
> horses screaming defiance, and stalled. I restarted, backed up, hit it
> again, stalled. So I tried going at it incrementally. It hooked onto
> the drive belt for the mower, pulled that off, grabbed me, and hauled me
> out of the saddle, missing blinding me by a half inch in the process.
> Once I detached myself I took inventory and realized that I looked like
> I had gone a couple of rounds with this cat
> <https://catmacros.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/this-cat/>.
>
> So, far as I'm concerned, the roses are flowers in flowerbeds and if the
> damned lawn police don't like it they're welcome to discuss the matter
> with the roses and bad cess to them.
>
> Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are there?
> I know about the Triffids, and
> Audrey, but are there any others?

For clarities sake, there's "The Day of the Triffids" by Wyndham. And
there's a plant named Audrey Jr in the "Little Shop of Horrors" movie.

As to your question, it seems that nobody mentioned the flora of Pyrrus
[1] yet.

Note.

1. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/28346

--
,-. There was a young lady named Bright
\_/ Whose speed was far faster than light;

What you do speaks so loud that I can not hear what you say. - Emerson.

David DeLaney

Aug 23, 2015, 11:30:23 PM8/23/15
On 2015-08-23, J. Clarke <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> davidd...@earthlink.net says...
>> And, this reminded me, at least a couple floral races in the Well World
>> series,
>> one of which I seem to remember was Always Neutral Evil essentially?
>
> Never even heard of that series before. Is it something I should check out?

Mmmmaybe. If you already know you're allergic to Jack Chalker books, then no.

Space opera / Elder Race / the origins of the universe as we know it is a lie;
there's a planet, somewhere, named the Well World, which was the testing ground
of said Elder Race for all the intelligent species in the current universe.
It's called that because it's literally gridded up into hexagonal zones (with
some double-half-hexagon ones near the poles that look like a lopsided
butterfly), which can be high-tech, low-tech, no-tech, and/or magical, to
simulate conditions on the world(s) the race was gonna get placed on. One
hemisphere for carbon-based life, the other for the rest (and for some really
strange carbon-based stuff). The populations there now are the last (number of
hexagons) races left over from the Beginning. The zone lines are NOT impassible
by any means, but they are arranged in such a way that conquering vast numbers
of them usually runs into insuperable obstacles (supply lines, lack of tech,
etc.).

People - humans mostly - get taken to the Well World; hijinx ensue. Oh, and
when you get ported to the Well World by the ancient Markovian gates that are
still embedded here and there? You get put into a native body, in an
apparently-random zone...

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Aug 23, 2015, 11:44:02 PM8/23/15
In article <7NGdnSCM1PFQEkfI...@earthlink.com>,
And parts of it are *very* Chalker, but IMHO it's the best Chalker.

Brian M. Scott

Aug 24, 2015, 1:04:30 AM8/24/15
On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 01:29:14 +0000 (UTC), Don Kuenz
<gar...@crcomp.net> wrote in<news:2015...@crcomp.net> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

[...]

> As to your question, it seems that nobody mentioned the
> flora of Pyrrus [1] yet.

Mentioned by Robert Carnegie eight hours before you.

[...]

Kay Shapero

Aug 24, 2015, 2:24:09 AM8/24/15
> > BTW, it seems the USDA considers rugosa roses to be noxious weeds.
> > Your local lawn police may want you to root them out.
>
> If they want them rooted out, they're welcome to do so. I'll be happy
> to pay the fines for the joy of watching them do it.

I'm sitting here looking at this month's Schlock Mercenary calendar.
This page, to be precise: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/uploads/44-
Lettered-TN.jpg

--

Kay Shapero
Address munged, try my first name at kayshapero dot net.

Kay Shapero

Aug 24, 2015, 2:27:20 AM8/24/15
In article <MPG.3044216d1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
j.clark...@gmail.com says...

> In article <MPG.30441f115...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> j.clark...@gmail.com says...
> >

> > > BTW, it seems the USDA considers rugosa roses to be noxious weeds.
> > > Your local lawn police may want you to root them out.
> >
> > If they want them rooted out, they're welcome to do so. I'll be happy
> > to pay the fines for the joy of watching them do it.
>
> I forgot to add, the lawn police if they did not have so much power
> would be a joke. I doubt that they can tell a rugosa rose from a rug.

Obviously you're not in Los Angeles - any lawn police around here are
insisting people not water them.. I'm seriously considering taking out
the grass and putting in a rock landscape with velociraptors. :)

Kay Shapero

Aug 24, 2015, 2:31:40 AM8/24/15
In article <MPG.304397bec...@news.eternal-september.org>,
j.clark...@gmail.com says...

> So, far as I'm concerned, the roses are flowers in flowerbeds and if the
> damned lawn police don't like it they're welcome to discuss the matter
> with the roses and bad cess to them.
>
> Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are there?
> I know about the Triffids, and
> Audrey, but are there any others?

Well, they don't come out and chase you, but if you attempt to pass
through a thicket of Barrayarran Roses (Lois Bujold's Vorkosigan
series), you may never be seen again... Though actually they may BE
Rugosas - they're a terrestrial version that mutated dramatically on
Barrayar

Stephen Harker

Aug 24, 2015, 3:57:26 AM8/24/15
"Brian M. Scott" <b.s...@csuohio.edu> writes:

> On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 01:29:14 +0000 (UTC), Don Kuenz
> <gar...@crcomp.net> wrote in<news:2015...@crcomp.net> in
> rec.arts.sf.written:
>
> [...]
>
>> As to your question, it seems that nobody mentioned the
>> flora of Pyrrus [1] yet.
>
> Mentioned by Robert Carnegie eight hours before you.

One I haven't seen mentioned is most of the vegetation in _Hothouse_ by
Brian Aldiss. Likely it has been mentioned and I missed it.

--
Stephen Harker s.ha...@adfa.edu.au
PEMS http://sjharker.customer.netspace.net.au/

Greg Goss

Aug 24, 2015, 4:02:36 AM8/24/15
"J. Clarke" <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are there?
>I know about the Triffids, and
>Audrey, but are there any others?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathworld

I don't know if Asimov's "Green Patches" counts as plant life.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Patches

Greg Goss

Aug 24, 2015, 4:05:30 AM8/24/15
"Mike Dworetsky" <plati...@pants.btinternet.com> wrote:

>> Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are
>> there? I know about the Triffids, and
>> Audrey, but are there any others?
>
>The fields of reflecting sunflowers in Ringworld that concentrated sunlight
>onto any flying object, and fried it to a crisp.

Also on Silvereyes. http://larryniven.wikia.com/wiki/Silvereyes
(Niven has put this short story up on the web somewhere, but a quick
google didn't find it for me.)

Greg Goss

Aug 24, 2015, 4:09:28 AM8/24/15
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

>"Mike Dworetsky" <plati...@pants.btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>The fields of reflecting sunflowers in Ringworld that concentrated sunlight
>>onto any flying object, and fried it to a crisp.
>
>Also on Silvereyes. http://larryniven.wikia.com/wiki/Silvereyes
>(Niven has put this short story up on the web somewhere, but a quick
>google didn't find it for me.)

http://www.larryniven.net/stories/color_of_sunfire.shtml

Greg Goss

Aug 24, 2015, 4:26:06 AM8/24/15
"J. Clarke" <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> plus Groot
>> from Guardians of the Galaxy (Vin Diesel?s finest role...)
>
>How can I forget Groot? Oh, I know--I'm old and it was recent.

I didn't see that one, but the idea of plants as central characters
brought to mind the Skroedlings.

These were presented as plants, with ultra-high-tech processor
assistance that brought them up to animal-level response speeds. But
(spoiler) gur frdhry frrzrq gb cerfrag gurz nf arne-vagryyvtrag svfu,
gung bayl frggyrq bhg nf gur cynag-yvxr betnavfzf nf na nqhyg sbez --
this would resemble many rooted animals in our own oceans and defeat
the idea of them as plants.

TV Tropes has a category
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlantAliens
A quick glance through the "literature" section doesn't seem to
mention much that we haven't covered, except for maybe Weinbaum's
"Lotus Eaters"

Greg Goss

Aug 24, 2015, 4:59:39 AM8/24/15
I find amusing that a google search for "alien plants" is dominated by
rather ordinary plants growing wildly in new places. A search for
"alien plants SF" gave me the TV Tropes link I previously cited, but
also had a bunch of articles about rather ordinary plants growing
wildly in San Francisco.

Greg Goss

Aug 24, 2015, 5:15:05 AM8/24/15
Per http://io9.com/5102036/science-fictions-deadliest-plants ,

I suddenly realize that nobody's mentioned tomatoes yet.

From the comments of the above link, El Seed from The Tick.

Elsewhere in the comments, was a mention of Poison Ivy from the
Batman universe. I grew up on the DC side of the comics divide, but
never encountered her.

J. Clarke

Aug 24, 2015, 6:54:59 AM8/24/15
In article <d3vi7v...@mid.individual.net>, t...@loft.tnolan.com
says...
Thanks, need to add that series to my list. Assuming I don't slit my
wrists before finishing Gravity's Rainbow.

J. Clarke

Aug 24, 2015, 7:04:50 AM8/24/15
In article <MPG.30445a217...@news.eternal-september.org>,
k...@invalid.net says...
These ones are kind of like that--the ends of the grownth have very,
very, sharp thorns that grab at the slightest touch, and if you do
anything but stop and detach them then movement not only tears but pulls
increasingly longer thorns on increasingly thick stalk--I can see
someone who panics at first attack getting caught badly enough to
require intervention to escape.

I've been bitten by a nonvenomous snake. Detaching a rose-stem feels
much the same as snake-teeth pulling out.

Anthony Nance

Aug 24, 2015, 8:13:13 AM8/24/15
J. Clarke <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Incentivized by the threat of a $127,000 a year fine from the lawn
> police (no, I am not joking) and enabled by my new job although it meant
> spending money that I had intended for something that to anyone other
> than the lawn police would be more urgent, I obtained a large powerful
> new lawnmower and started doing battle with the yard.
>
> All was going well until I discovered, to my joy and dismay, that I have
> been invaded by Rugosa Roses, aka Killer Attack Roses.
>
> Joy because they have always fascinated me. Dismay because I have to
> deal with them.
>
> I had read about them but never encountered them personally. There was
> an innocuous looking clump of brambles in the middle of the yard. I
> drove my charger, all 900 pounds of it (including me) at the beast, 22
> horses screaming defiance, and stalled. I restarted, backed up, hit it
> again, stalled. So I tried going at it incrementally. It hooked onto
> the drive belt for the mower, pulled that off, grabbed me, and hauled me
> out of the saddle, missing blinding me by a half inch in the process.
> Once I detached myself I took inventory and realized that I looked like
> I had gone a couple of rounds with this cat
> <https://catmacros.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/this-cat/>.
>
> So, far as I'm concerned, the roses are flowers in flowerbeds and if the
> damned lawn police don't like it they're welcome to discuss the matter
> with the roses and bad cess to them.
>
> Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal flowers are there?
> I know about the Triffids, and
> Audrey, but are there any others?

Darn near everything on Trenco? Hopefully more later once the
caffeine gets more distributed.
- Tony

lal_truckee

Aug 24, 2015, 11:24:40 AM8/24/15
On 8/23/15 9:48 AM, Wolffan wrote:

> assorted world trees

Speaking of "world trees," have Niven's "Integral Trees" had a mention
already?

Don Kuenz

Aug 24, 2015, 12:06:31 PM8/24/15
Speaking of Niven's "The Integral Trees," its debut serialization
appears in the Oct 1983 _Analog_. That magazine just happens to be on my
bookshelf. "Let's see... Yes, here it is..."

(In search of the story within my higher self has me randomly open the
magazine to page 64. No kidding. My eyes stare in disbelief.)

"What's this? It looks like General Lee with an alien gleam in his eyes.
Yet another Turtledovian take on the Civil War? Sweeeet."

The story's named "Quarks at Appomattox" and Charles L Harness, not
Turtledove, wrote it. The teaser says:

Given a time machine,
people will try to change key events in their own past.
But they'd do well
to remember that the participants in those events
had minds and motivations
of their own.

Goodbye Niven. Hello Harness. :)

David Johnston

Aug 24, 2015, 12:16:31 PM8/24/15
They aren't plant based. They're a whole different kingdom.

Greg Goss

Aug 24, 2015, 2:51:22 PM8/24/15
Don Kuenz <gar...@crcomp.net> wrote:
>lal_truckee <lal_t...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On 8/23/15 9:48 AM, Wolffan wrote:
>>
>>> assorted world trees
>>
>> Speaking of "world trees," have Niven's "Integral Trees" had a mention
>> already?
>
>Speaking of Niven's "The Integral Trees," its debut serialization
>appears in the Oct 1983 _Analog_. That magazine just happens to be on my
>bookshelf. "Let's see... Yes, here it is..."

Niven read two chapters from his upcoming novel "The Smoke Ring" at a
convention in spring of 82. The original name went with the second
half of the split when it outgrew its binding.

Magewolf

Aug 24, 2015, 3:07:16 PM8/24/15
If his is like the HOA around here he signed a legally binding contract
that said he could not do anything that makes his house look any
different from the ones around it. Thous the lawn police.

Kevrob

Aug 24, 2015, 4:00:37 PM8/24/15
I used to live in an unincorporated community in Pinellas
County, Florida (north of Clearwater,) and my mother used to
live further up the Gulf Coast in New Port Richey. Many people
had taken out lawns and replaced them with pebbles. It was sensible.
They didn't have to mow or water, and there were no invasive species
to blow seeds onto the property of neighbors who did have lawns.
The only drawback was that you didn't have the option of running across
the front lawn in your bare feet. Try that in the mid-day Florida
sun and you might blister your feet. You would also have to make
sure any grandchildren not old enough to realize what "hot stone" means
were properly wrangled.

I could totally ses a HOA having rules on the size, shape and color of any
such lawn-alternative, if it allowed that at all.

Gawd, some folks who didn't have lawns installed 1970s grade artificial
turf. That looked ugly, and could get extremely hot - Busch Stadium
in St Louis in August hot.

Kevin R

Robert Carnegie

Aug 24, 2015, 4:39:11 PM8/24/15
On Sunday, 23 August 2015 20:14:16 UTC+1, patmp...@gmail.com wrote:
> A few years back there was a movie in which the trees emitted a poisonous gas. The Wall Street Journal wrote that this was a silly plot: why didn't they just us 2,4D to kill all the trees?
>
> I thought that that WSJ review was the stupidest thing I'd ever read. How long would the human race last once all the trees were gone? I never read that newspaper again.

I suppose some trees were saved that way.

I think dissatisfaction with the film was widespread, but,
on that particular point, it isn't practical - and probably
isn't fast enough - to poison the trees while they are
actively trying to poison you.

I seem to remember some sharp-tongued flowers maybe in
_Alice's Adventures in Wonderland_.

Somewhere in the Harry Dresden books, there's a lively
encounter with an entire aggressive garden, but I don't
remember which book, and I just ended up reading all of
them at once...

...hang on, isn't there an episode, a different one
I think, where something like Swamp Thing chases him
round and round a hardware store with a gardening
department...

Robert Carnegie

Aug 24, 2015, 4:57:07 PM8/24/15
And if we haven't had John Varley's _Titan_ and sequels -
I don't in fact remember what the vegetation was like,
but, given the setup, it was probably... purposeful.

J. Clarke

Aug 24, 2015, 5:51:01 PM8/24/15
In article <87fv39k...@howitt.home>, sjha...@netspace.net.au
says...

> "Brian M. Scott" <b.s...@csuohio.edu> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 01:29:14 +0000 (UTC), Don Kuenz
> > <gar...@crcomp.net> wrote in<news:2015...@crcomp.net> in
> > rec.arts.sf.written:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> As to your question, it seems that nobody mentioned the
> >> flora of Pyrrus [1] yet.
> >
> > Mentioned by Robert Carnegie eight hours before you.
>
> One I haven't seen mentioned is most of the vegetation in _Hothouse_ by
> Brian Aldiss. Likely it has been mentioned and I missed it.

I think it has--but anything by Aldiss is probably worth rementioning.

J. Clarke

Aug 24, 2015, 5:56:54 PM8/24/15
In article <mrfptp$tfs$1...@dont-email.me>, Mage...@nc.rr.com says...
No, there is no HOA and no legally binding contract. This is a town
ordinance backed by a state law.

Jack Bohn

Aug 24, 2015, 6:19:58 PM8/24/15
"The Lotus Eaters" I seem to remember they were dangerous, but the really kick-ass plants were on Mars. One almost got Tweel. They had another one- not dangerous, but you want to keep up with it. Its waste came in the shape of a brick, which it removed and distributed around itself to eventually form a pyramid. These formations ranged in size from ones that'd chip your mower blade if you don't notice it to a good start for a firepit to a somewhat inconvenient shed( less useful oned in between).

--
-Jack

William December Starr

Aug 24, 2015, 6:41:26 PM8/24/15
t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) said:

> David DeLaney <d...@vic.com> wrote:
>
>> People - humans mostly - get taken to the Well World; hijinx
>> ensue. Oh, and when you get ported to the Well World by the
>> ancient Markovian gates that are still embedded here and there?
>> You get put into a native body, in an apparently-random zone...
>
> And parts of it are *very* Chalker, but IMHO it's the best
> Chalker.

Excellent summary.

-- wds

William December Starr

Aug 24, 2015, 6:44:12 PM8/24/15
"J. Clarke" <j.clark...@gmail.com> said:

> Ike...@my-deja.com says...
>
>> BTW, it seems the USDA considers rugosa roses to be noxious weeds.
>> Your local lawn police may want you to root them out.
>
> If they want them rooted out, they're welcome to do so. I'll be
> happy to pay the fines for the joy of watching them do it.

You know they'll just hire professionals to do it and then send you
the bill.

-- wds

William December Starr

Aug 24, 2015, 6:51:22 PM8/24/15
In article <a373d0bf-a025-459c...@googlegroups.com>,
As I recall, the brick-maker was a silicon-based life-form so I
don't think it could really be called a plant, even if it did
leech its nutrients out of the ground underneath it. (Was there
any indication that it collected / made direct use of sunlight?)

(Note to others: the Mars story being discussed is Stanley
G. Weinbaum's "A Martian Odyssey" from 1934.)

-- wds

Kevrob

Aug 24, 2015, 9:19:27 PM8/24/15
Worse, they'll tack it onto your property tax bill.
Good luck disputing that!

Kevin R

Dimensional Traveler

Aug 24, 2015, 9:35:03 PM8/24/15
Could still be worth it just to watch a professional with a flamethrower.

--
Veni, vidi, snarki.

Quadibloc

Aug 24, 2015, 9:50:51 PM8/24/15
On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 7:37:30 AM UTC-6, J. Clarke wrote:

> All was going well until I discovered, to my joy and dismay, that I have
> been invaded by Rugosa Roses, aka Killer Attack Roses.

The adjective "rugose" describes part of the anatomy of members of the Great Race in Lovecraft's "The Shadow Out of Time".

John Savard

Quadibloc

Aug 24, 2015, 10:01:29 PM8/24/15
On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 7:37:30 AM UTC-6, J. Clarke wrote:

> All was going well until I discovered, to my joy and dismay, that I have
> been invaded by Rugosa Roses, aka Killer Attack Roses.

I thought I'd Google to see if there were any helpful web pages with advice on how to get rid of them.

Instead, I found outdated pages like this:

"Growing and Caring for Rugosa Roses"
http://gardening.about.com/od/rose1/p/Rugosa-Roses.htm

"The Rugged Rugosa"
http://www.rose.org/rose-care-articles/the-rugged-rugosa/

http://www.springvalleyroses.com/catalog/rugosa.html

At least the Wikipedia article on them acknowledges they're considered a noxious weed in the U.S.A. -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_rugosa

although it too notes that in other places, such as Europe, it is indeed still
used as an ornamental flower.

John Savard

Brian M. Scott

Aug 24, 2015, 10:06:51 PM8/24/15
On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 18:50:49 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
<jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote
in<news:76ac6849-02e4-47c5...@googlegroups.com>
in rec.arts.sf.written:
Which is simply to say that they were wrinkled.

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered
rhythmically over the packed sand: haggisss, haggisss,
haggisss.

William December Starr

Aug 24, 2015, 10:27:38 PM8/24/15
In article <19tgkys3irv9.t...@40tude.net>,
"Brian M. Scott" <b.s...@csuohio.edu> said:

> Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote
>> J. Clarke wrote:
>>
>>> All was going well until I discovered, to my joy and
>>> dismay, that I have been invaded by Rugosa Roses, aka
>>> Killer Attack Roses.
>>
>> The adjective "rugose" describes part of the anatomy of
>> members of the Great Race in Lovecraft's "The Shadow Out
>> of Time".
>
> Which is simply to say that they were wrinkled.

But are they also squamous?

-- wds

Brian M. Scott

Aug 24, 2015, 10:54:44 PM8/24/15
On 24 Aug 2015 22:27:35 -0400, William December Starr
<wds...@panix.com> wrote
in<news:mrgjqn$5kl$1...@panix2.panix.com> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> In article <19tgkys3irv9.t...@40tude.net>,
> "Brian M. Scott" <b.s...@csuohio.edu> said:

>> Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote

[...]

>>> The adjective "rugose" describes part of the anatomy of
>>> members of the Great Race in Lovecraft's "The Shadow
>>> Out of Time".

>> Which is simply to say that they were wrinkled.

> But are they also squamous?

Yep: bunch of wrinkled old scaly-wags.

Robert Bannister

Aug 24, 2015, 11:18:10 PM8/24/15
On 24/08/2015 11:43 am, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <7NGdnSCM1PFQEkfI...@earthlink.com>,
> David DeLaney <d...@vic.com> wrote:
>> On 2015-08-23, J. Clarke <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> davidd...@earthlink.net says...
>>>
>>> Never even heard of that series before. Is it something I should check out?
>>
>> Mmmmaybe. If you already know you're allergic to Jack Chalker books, then no.
>>
>> Space opera / Elder Race / the origins of the universe as we know it is a lie;
>> there's a planet, somewhere, named the Well World, which was the testing ground
>> of said Elder Race for all the intelligent species in the current universe.
>> It's called that because it's literally gridded up into hexagonal zones (with
>> some double-half-hexagon ones near the poles that look like a lopsided
>> butterfly), which can be high-tech, low-tech, no-tech, and/or magical, to
>> simulate conditions on the world(s) the race was gonna get placed on. One
>> hemisphere for carbon-based life, the other for the rest (and for some really
>> strange carbon-based stuff). The populations there now are the last (number of
>> hexagons) races left over from the Beginning. The zone lines are NOT impassible
>> by any means, but they are arranged in such a way that conquering vast numbers
>> of them usually runs into insuperable obstacles (supply lines, lack of tech,
>> etc.).
>>
>> People - humans mostly - get taken to the Well World; hijinx ensue. Oh, and
>> when you get ported to the Well World by the ancient Markovian gates that are
>> still embedded here and there? You get put into a native body, in an
>> apparently-random zone...
>>
>> Dave
>
> And parts of it are *very* Chalker, but IMHO it's the best Chalker.

I've read the first two or three books several times with enjoyment,
although the last few books I can forget about very easily.

--
Robert Bannister
Perth, Western Australia

Robert Bannister

Aug 24, 2015, 11:20:31 PM8/24/15
I'm surprised they don't specify the size and colour of any pebbles used.

J. Clarke

Aug 25, 2015, 12:26:55 AM8/25/15
In article <444af8fd-993a-4d3f...@googlegroups.com>,
kev...@my-deja.com says...
Be worth it--from what I'm reading the professionals typically don't
come out unscathed.

J. Clarke

Aug 25, 2015, 12:28:34 AM8/25/15
In article <55dbc47e$0$1704$742e...@news.sonic.net>, dtr...@sonic.net
says...
Doesn't work. Sure, you burn it back a little, but now you have flame-
hardened thorns, and the root is still fine.

Kay Shapero

Aug 25, 2015, 1:37:39 AM8/25/15
In article <MPG.3044585c8...@news.eternal-september.org>,
k...@invalid.net says...

> In article <MPG.30441f115...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> j.clark...@gmail.com says...
> >

> > > BTW, it seems the USDA considers rugosa roses to be noxious weeds.
> > > Your local lawn police may want you to root them out.
> >
> > If they want them rooted out, they're welcome to do so. I'll be happy
> > to pay the fines for the joy of watching them do it.
>

> I'm sitting here looking at this month's Schlock Mercenary calendar.
> This page, to be precise: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/uploads/44-
> Lettered-TN.jpg

Just noticed that cut weird when I looked at the posted message. Here's
a tinyurl: http://preview.tinyurl.com/p4ff7b4
--

Kay Shapero
Address munged, try my first name at kayshapero dot net.

Kay Shapero

Aug 25, 2015, 1:42:10 AM8/25/15
In article <mrgjqn$5kl$1...@panix2.panix.com>, wds...@panix.com says...
Which suggests either lizard-like or cancerous... :)

Kay Shapero

Aug 25, 2015, 1:46:41 AM8/25/15
In article <55dbc47e$0$1704$742e...@news.sonic.net>, dtr...@sonic.net
says...

Oh, the images this conjures up...

Got a plant with fangs, growing in your lawn
Who ya gonna call - Rose Busters!! :)

Alie...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2015, 2:11:23 AM8/25/15
So hit the things with Roundup. When dead and dry they'll mow much better without disassembling your mower (or you).

When they complain that you have dead brown things in your lawn tell then that you're "in the process" of removing an invasive plant. Send them a copy of the receipt for the Roundup.

Mark L. Fergerson

Robert Carnegie

Aug 25, 2015, 9:17:27 AM8/25/15
Maybe. I was going to say "Cheaper to view _Arachnophobia_".
But does that include a flamethrower scene, or am I
misremembering how the professional exterminator
gets serious?

Presumably, if there are ways to care for this plant, then,
you just do any other thing.

Jack Bohn

Aug 25, 2015, 9:43:56 AM8/25/15
William December Starr wrote:
> In article <a373d0bf-a025-459c...@googlegroups.com>,
> Jack Bohn <jack....@gmail.com> said:
>
> > "The Lotus Eaters" I seem to remember they were dangerous, but the
> > really kick-ass plants were on Mars. One almost got Tweel. They
> > had another one- not dangerous, but you want to keep up with it.
> > Its waste came in the shape of a brick, which it removed and
> > distributed around itself to eventually form a pyramid. These
> > formations ranged in size from ones that'd chip your mower blade
> > if you don't notice it to a good start for a firepit to a somewhat
> > inconvenient shed( less useful oned in between).
>
> As I recall, the brick-maker was a silicon-based life-form so I
> don't think it could really be called a plant, even if it did
> leech its nutrients out of the ground underneath it. (Was there
> any indication that it collected / made direct use of sunlight?)

I was basing it mostly on the fact that it did root itself, did Tweel describe it as, "No breet"? I don't remember power being mentioned, but it wouldn't surprise me to read it ran on a cache of radium.

> (Note to others: the Mars story being discussed is Stanley
> G. Weinbaum's "A Martian Odyssey" from 1934.)

Speaking of Mars, Niven's _Rainbow Mars_ features a plant that'll ruin your garden if it takes hold in it.

Varley's _Titan_ was mentioned as likely to have some nasty plants engineered by Gaea. I don't remember any, but was Gaea herself solar powered, making her a plant? (...and something obvious to me in the first book that got lost by the thrd book, isn't she herself an engineered lifeform?)

--
-Jack

pete...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2015, 9:53:59 AM8/25/15
When I moved into my fiance's house, there was a patch of blackberries about
15 feet across in the back yard. I don't know how that compares with the
roses mentioned, but they are Nature's barbed wire.

I dealt with it by getting some long-handled loppers, and gradually, slowly
cutting the whole thing into 6 inch sections. That was too short for them to
matt together, and in the end I could rake away the cut up sections.

After that, mowing over the resprouting roots regularly for 2-3 years killed
them off; they never got enough leaves to sustain themselves.

The key was not seeking fast results.

pt

Dimensional Traveler

Aug 25, 2015, 10:50:04 AM8/25/15
Then they didn't do a professional job! :)

--
Veni, vidi, snarki.

Don Kuenz

Aug 25, 2015, 11:29:48 AM8/25/15

Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 01:29:14 +0000 (UTC), Don Kuenz
> <gar...@crcomp.net> wrote in<news:2015...@crcomp.net> in
> rec.arts.sf.written:
>
> [...]
>
>> As to your question, it seems that nobody mentioned the
>> flora of Pyrrus [1] yet.
>
> Mentioned by Robert Carnegie eight hours before you.

Sure enough. (There's also the group's Pyrrus parlance zeitgeist. :) )

Did anyone mention the deadly flora from _Minority Report_, the movie?
The venomous vine of anger only appears in the Hollywood treatment, not
the novel.

GARDENS

Wild and out of control. A small ivy-covered STONE HOUSE is
nestled into a corner of the property. Smoke rises from the
chimney. Anderton starts down the other side of the wall.

EXT. THE GARDENS - DAY

As Anderton jumps to the ground. His shirt is ripped; his
arms scratched from what he realizes are THORNS embedded in
the vines.

We hear RUSTLING as, behind Anderton, several of the plants
unfurl to their full dimensions of eight feet and wrap their
vines around Anderton's neck and torso.

He breaks free. We hear CLASSICAL MUSIC O.S. and Anderton
moves through the gardens towards it. He stops, dizzy,
touches his forehead and then looks off at...

A GREENHOUSE

Where we see A WOMAN, 50, dressed in a wide-brimmed hat and
gardening attire, attending to the plants, gently spraying,
then wiping each leaf with a small, square cloth...

Anderton staggers into the greenhouse, something now quite
wrong with him.

ANDERTON
Dr. Hineman --

Quick as a flash she holds up her cane and a six-inch BLADE
extends from the tip to Anderton's throat. She looks down
the length of it at Anderton, his ripped clothing, bruised
face, and scratched arms.

IRIS
You're trespassing.

He starts to sway, touches his forehead.

IRIS
Something wrong?

ANDERTON
I'm a little dizzy...

She casually leans on the cane, shoving the blade back up inside.

IRIS
Yes, I'm afraid that would be from the Doll's Eye.

ANDERTON
The what?

IRIS
The vine -- the Baneberry that scratched you during
your illegal climb over my wall...

She leads Anderton over to a wooden table just inside the
greenhouse where she's got AFTERNOON TEA set up.

IRIS
It's not a true Doll's Eye, of course, but a little
hybrid of my own design.

Anderton staggers, grabs hold of the table for support.

IRIS
It's quite something, once the poison gets into your
bloodstream, you'll start to see what I can only
describe as the most extraordinary display of blue
objects.

Anderton struggles. She watches him a moment.

IRIS
This just isn't your week, is it, Chief?

He pulls his gun. She shakes her head...

IRIS
Now now...

She easily takes it away from him, jacks the clip onto the table,
then calmly pours a cup of tea.

IRIS
You have three minutes to tell me what you're doing
here before I feed you to a few of my more predacious
plants.

--
,-. There was a young lady named Bright
\_/ Whose speed was far faster than light;
{|||)< Don Kuenz KB7RPU She set out one day
/ \ In a relative way
`-' And returned on the previous night.

What you do speaks so loud that I can not hear what you say. - Emerson.

Alie...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2015, 12:53:36 PM8/25/15
On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 6:43:56 AM UTC-7, Jack Bohn wrote:

> Speaking of Mars, Niven's _Rainbow Mars_ features a plant that'll ruin your
> planet if it takes hold in it.
^^^^^^

IFYPFY

Now that I think about it, Niven's always been big on plants that are difficult in interesting ways.

In _The Burning City_ his ropewalkers make rope from hemp, but they're also specially trained to harvest it without being stoned into fertilizer-hood by the live plant.

Mark L. Fergerson

William Vetter

Aug 25, 2015, 1:11:25 PM8/25/15
Robert Carnegie wrote:
> And if we haven't had John Varley's _Titan_ and sequels -
> I don't in fact remember what the vegetation was like,
> but, given the setup, it was probably... purposeful.

So far as I remember, even though Titan was a world completely
engineered by an intelligence, vegetation was a static part of the
setting.

The only plant I remember is that the world-alien was manufacturing
cocaine.

Brian M. Scott

Aug 25, 2015, 4:25:15 PM8/25/15
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 14:33:29 -0400, "Brian M. Scott"
<b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote
in<news:emkp59lt7duf$.1nad0z6x3r2zr$.d...@40tude.net> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 09:42:23 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote
> in<news:MPG.304397bec...@news.eternal-september.org>
> in rec.arts.sf.written:

> [...]

>> Now, that led me to wonder, what truly badass SFanal
>> flowers are there? I know about the Triffids, and
>> Audrey, but are there any others?

> There’s some truly vicious vegetation in David Drake’s
> _Redliners_. The ‘weeds’ in Graydon Saunders’s Commonweal
> novels are even worse.

> I don’t recall the details, but at some point Zelazny’s
> Dilvish was almost killed by some flowers. There’s
> Tolkien’s Old Man Willow.

Then there are the exceedingly vicious carnivorous flora of
Hell in Ann Bishop’s Black Jewels setting, seen, for
instance, in ‘The Prince of Ebon Rih’.

William December Starr

Aug 25, 2015, 7:42:20 PM8/25/15
In article <7NGdnSCM1PFQEkfI...@earthlink.com>,
David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> said:

[ re the "Well World" series by Jack Chalker ]

> It's called that because it's literally gridded up into hexagonal
> zones (with some double-half-hexagon ones near the poles that look
> like a lopsided butterfly), which can be high-tech, low-tech,
> no-tech, and/or magical, to simulate conditions on the world(s)
> the race was gonna get placed on. One hemisphere for carbon-based
> life, the other for the rest (and for some really strange
> carbon-based stuff). The populations there now are the last
> (number of hexagons) races left over from the Beginning. The zone
> lines are NOT impassible by any means,

There was nice little vignette in there somewhere about a
wooden-ships age-of-sail naval battle in a low-tech, no-magic hex,
in which the good guy had nothing more than what was basically a
signal cannon while the other ship was heavily armed. Fortunately
he managed to outmaneuver and dodge them long enough for the winds
to push his ship over the (unmarked) border on the water and into
the adjacent hex, in which high-tech was permitted. One *ZORCH*
later, and no more enemy ship. Terawatt lasers are so handy when
they're allowed to work.

-- wds

William December Starr

Aug 25, 2015, 7:46:11 PM8/25/15
In article <51f3d181-742f-406d...@googlegroups.com>,
I have the feeling that with that series "got lost by the third
book" also describes John Varley.

-- wds

William December Starr

Aug 25, 2015, 7:58:02 PM8/25/15
In article <2015...@crcomp.net>,
Don Kuenz <gar...@crcomp.net> said:

> Did anyone mention the deadly flora from _Minority
> Report_, the movie? The venomous vine of anger only
> appears in the Hollywood treatment, not the novel.
>
> GARDENS
>
> Wild and out of control. A small ivy-covered STONE HOUSE is
> nestled into a corner of the property. Smoke rises from the
> chimney. Anderton starts down the other side of the wall.
>
> EXT. THE GARDENS - DAY
>
> As Anderton jumps to the ground. His shirt is ripped; his
> arms scratched from what he realizes are THORNS embedded in
> the vines.
>
> We hear RUSTLING as, behind Anderton, several of the plants
> unfurl to their full dimensions of eight feet and wrap their
> vines around Anderton's neck and torso.
>
> He breaks free. We hear CLASSICAL MUSIC O.S. and Anderton
> moves through the gardens towards it. He stops, dizzy,
> touches his forehead and then looks off at...

etc.

I don't remember that scene from the movie as it was released to
theaters, but I don't absolutely trust my non-memory on that.

(Also, the 1956 Philip K. Dick story "The Minority Report"
was a novelette[1], and I don't think there was any novelization
of the movie.)

-----------
*1: The last time I looked, about four years ago, the Hugo
awards rules said:

Novel: 40,000 words or more
Novella: between 17,500 and 40,000 words
Novelette: between 7,500 and 17,500 words
Short story: less than 7,500 words

I find it amusing that the shorter a story, the longer
the name of its category.

-- wds

Butch Malahide

Aug 25, 2015, 9:20:02 PM8/25/15
On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 6:58:02 PM UTC-5, William December Starr wrote:
> -----------
> *1: The last time I looked, about four years ago, the Hugo
> awards rules said:
>
> Novel: 40,000 words or more
> Novella: between 17,500 and 40,000 words
> Novelette: between 7,500 and 17,500 words
> Short story: less than 7,500 words
>
> I find it amusing that the shorter a story, the longer
> the name of its category.

Too bad they don't have one for best short short story.

Gene Wirchenko

Aug 25, 2015, 10:43:24 PM8/25/15
On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 22:46:37 -0700, Kay Shapero <k...@invalid.net>
wrote:

>In article <55dbc47e$0$1704$742e...@news.sonic.net>, dtr...@sonic.net
>says...

[snip]

>> Could still be worth it just to watch a professional with a flamethrower.
>
>Oh, the images this conjures up...
>
>Got a plant with fangs, growing in your lawn
>Who ya gonna call - Rose Busters!! :)

I was thinking of something like David Gerrold's Cthorr series.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Don Kuenz

Aug 25, 2015, 11:27:04 PM8/25/15
Stills from the movie show the garden scene. [1] The garden scene
*as filmed* differs from the earlier Hollywood treatment shown above.
The eight foot venomous vines still appear, but the cane bit got left on
the cutting room floor. The dialogue is more compact in the movie.

The second sentence of my original post should say:

The venomous vine of anger only appears in the Hollywood
treatment, not the 1956 story.

Note.

1. https://www.google.com/search?q=dr+hineman+minority+report&tbm=isch

Robert Bannister

Aug 25, 2015, 11:53:10 PM8/25/15
It took me close to ten years to get rid of the bamboo in my garden.
Mixture of Roundup and digging.

Robert Carnegie

Aug 26, 2015, 12:17:16 AM8/26/15
But you'd have to think of a longer way to say it.
Well, what you have might do, but "Micro Hugo" wouldn't.
And would that be "anterior" or "posterior"?

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Aug 26, 2015, 12:24:10 AM8/26/15
In article <b3a8e40e-a395-4e97...@googlegroups.com>,
Hmm. "Micro Hugo" would be a unit of measurement, no?

If a Hugo Winning SF bestseller is a book that sells
a million copies, then a micro hugo is the amount of
SF goodness required to sell one copy..
--
------
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

pete...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2015, 9:13:03 AM8/26/15
Sort of like the millihelen - the measure of female
pulchritude sufficient to launch a single ship.

pt

Kevrob

Aug 26, 2015, 9:44:31 AM8/26/15
I remember that one.

What's the official measurement of bad writing? The Ecordian?

Kevin R

Greg Goss

Aug 26, 2015, 10:58:20 AM8/26/15
Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 9:13:03 AM UTC-4, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

>What's the official measurement of bad writing? The Ecordian?

The Vancouver annual SF convention hands out "Elron" awards. Or at
least used to when I lived there.

The award was a gold-painted plastic lemon affixed to a spike through
a Gor novel.

Mike M

Aug 26, 2015, 11:38:07 AM8/26/15
The Theis. Each word written in The Eye of Argon is 1 Theis. However no one
knows how many Theis The Eye of Argon itself registers at, as despite its
word count remaining constant (give or take the ending), no-one has ever
been able to bring themselves to count them all.

--
So much universe, and so little time. - Sir Terry Pratchett

Robert Carnegie

Aug 26, 2015, 12:01:49 PM8/26/15
And now I'm trying to remember whether anyone besides
me thought it would be funny if an author's /name/ is
anything like "Hugo Winner". (Wikipedia doesn't, yet.)

Or maybe it was "A. Ward Winning" or something.
It is loading more messages.