Alice Grove, 22 Jan 2017

Cryptoengineer

Jan 22, 2017, 7:07:01 PM1/22/17
That's not a Valkyrie.

*this* is a Valkyrie, and a lot prettier.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/doYEIVapNtA/hqdefault.jpg

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XB-70

pt

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 22, 2017, 10:30:05 PM1/22/17
In article <XnsA705C2753A...@216.166.97.131>,
Nah, this is Brunnhilde. (The artwork had *just* come out of
copyright in time to be used as the cover.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Cryptoengineer

Jan 22, 2017, 11:41:30 PM1/22/17
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in news:oK7pus.1qH9
@kithrup.com:

> In article <XnsA705C2753A...@216.166.97.131>,
> Cryptoengineer <treif...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>That's not a Valkyrie.
>>
>>*this* is a Valkyrie, and a lot prettier.
>>

>>https://i.ytimg.com/vi/doYEIVapNtA/hqdefault.jpg
>>
>>and
>>
>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XB-70
>
> Nah, this is Brunnhilde. (The artwork had *just* come out of
> copyright in time to be used as the cover.

OK, I think I'm missing a reference here (hardly unusual).
Brunhilde, in the Ring Cycle, is the daughter of Wotan,
and one of the Valkyries. I have no idea what copyright
you're refering to.

pt

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 23, 2017, 1:30:04 AM1/23/17
In article <XnsA705F0FD48...@216.166.97.131>,
The copyright for the artwork by Arthur Rackham, originally done
for a deluxe two-volume edition of the (translated) texts of the
Wagner Ring cycle.

Robert Carnegie

Jan 23, 2017, 3:27:20 AM1/23/17
Did you miss putting in a link to that?

I looked up "rackham" and "valkyrie" images and
I was shown diverse pictures from Rackham's hand
and rather of the same sort as the one that
Terry Pratchett's fictional art gallery titled
"Three Large Pink Women and One Piece of Gauze", i.e.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Graces_%28Rubens%29>
but not so Rubenesque.

Although one was labelled as "The Rheingold and
the Valkyrie", this may be wrong as I couldn't
see any gold in the picture - although I could
see plenty of the Rhein. And then again, at first
sight I did not notice the gauze - and I was
looking for it particularly. (Yes, I was.)

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 23, 2017, 8:45:09 AM1/23/17
In article <d9e55fae-ff0c-422c...@googlegroups.com>,
The title you list is for the first volume of the translated
libretti. The second one is _Siegfried and the Twilight of the
Gods._ Rakham illustrated both volumes in 1900 or thereabouts,
which explains the style. I got my copy of _S&S 21_ and said
"Good heavens, that's a whole different style from all the other
covers the series has had." Took me a minute to recognize it.

Robert Carnegie

Jan 23, 2017, 12:07:47 PM1/23/17
On Monday, 23 January 2017 03:30:05 UTC, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <XnsA705C2753A...@216.166.97.131>,
> Cryptoengineer <treif...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >That's not a Valkyrie.
> >
> >*this* is a Valkyrie, and a lot prettier.
> >

> >https://i.ytimg.com/vi/doYEIVapNtA/hqdefault.jpg
> >
> >and
> >
> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XB-70
>
> Nah, this is Brunnhilde. (The artwork had *just* come out of
> copyright in time to be used as the cover.

Are you talking about the picture shown here -->
<https://richardnilsen.com/tag/der-ring-des-nibelungen/>

Because I don't think it would be this one.
<http://marvel.com/universe/Valkyrie>

Who admittedly still scares me.

Alie...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2017, 3:56:42 PM1/23/17
On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 4:07:01 PM UTC-8, Cryptoengineer wrote:
> That's not a Valkyrie.

Anybody else see a Noh mask in the overhead-view panel?

> *this* is a Valkyrie, and a lot prettier.
>
> https://i.ytimg.com/vi/doYEIVapNtA/hqdefault.jpg
>
> and
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XB-70

Prettier in the aerodynamics-for-its-own-sake sense, yes, but impractical.

Not much use for shooting down orbital bombardment platforms either. Where would you bolt on the SRB's it would need to get into LEO?

Mark L. Fergerson

synthi...@yahoo.com

Jan 24, 2017, 1:03:45 AM1/24/17
When I visited the XB-70 I imagined folks mistaking it for a shopping mall.
It is large.

Nils K. Hammer

Magewolf

Jan 24, 2017, 1:29:05 PM1/24/17
You are all wrong, this is a Valkyrie
http://macross.wikia.com/wiki/VF-1S_Valkyrie and it could destroy
orbital bombardment platforms with ease. Especially using the FAST Pack
"Strike" Space Weapon System.