More Chalion?!

Brenda

Jun 28, 2015, 8:31:11 PM6/28/15
An interview with Lois McMaster Bujold here:
http://www.holdfastmagazine.com/featured-author-issue-6/4589771561

And, a throwaway at the very end:
> Lois is referring to the other series for which she is famous, the Chalion series, set in the World of the Five Gods. She has a new novella in this series, "Penric's Demon", due out as an e-publication later this summer. Check out her Goodreads blog, where she'll be posting the opening scene soon!

Now is that thrilling or not?

Brenda

Brian M. Scott

Jun 28, 2015, 8:34:10 PM6/28/15
On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 20:31:09 -0400, Brenda
<brenda...@yahoo.com> wrote
in<news:mmq3hq$med$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:
And on her Goodreads blog she says that at 35,000 words
it’s her longest novella yet, and that it has ‘all-new
characters in a new setting -- same gods, though’.

<http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16094.Lois_McMaster_Bujold/blog>

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered

Will in New Haven

Jun 29, 2015, 10:56:44 AM6/29/15
It is thrilling. That is my favorite of her settings.
And that's saying a great deal.

--
Will in New Haven

Dan Swartzendruber

Jun 29, 2015, 1:14:38 PM6/29/15

Brenda

Jun 29, 2015, 6:06:04 PM6/29/15
I have been telling people that CURSE OF CHALION is one of the best
modern fantasy novels. There certainly are few in its league.

Brenda

Michael R N Dolbear

Jun 29, 2015, 7:01:54 PM6/29/15

"Brenda" wrote

> I have been telling people that CURSE OF CHALION is one of the best modern
> fantasy novels. There certainly are few in its league.

You don't think Paladin of Souls is still better ?

--
Mike D

Brian M. Scott

Jun 29, 2015, 7:55:48 PM6/29/15
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 00:01:55 +0100, Michael R N Dolbear
<m...@privacy.net> wrote
in<news:cve12v...@mid.individual.net> in
rec.arts.sf.written:
Can’t speak for Brenda, but I don’t, though it’s certainly
very, very good.

Brenda

Jun 29, 2015, 10:16:10 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 7:55 PM, Brian M. Scott wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 00:01:55 +0100, Michael R N Dolbear
> <m...@privacy.net> wrote
> in<news:cve12v...@mid.individual.net> in
> rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> "Brenda" wrote
>
>>> I have been telling people that CURSE OF CHALION is one
>>> of the best modern fantasy novels. There certainly are
>>> few in its league.
>
>> You don't think Paladin of Souls is still better ?
>
> Can’t speak for Brenda, but I don’t, though it’s certainly
> very, very good.
>
> Brian

No, I prefer CHALION. I was terrified she would give up writing (I saw
her at the Baltimore Book Festival a few years ago and she had been
unproductive due to health reasons) and am delighted she is better.

Brenda

Brian M. Scott

Jun 29, 2015, 10:41:23 PM6/29/15
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 18:06:02 -0400, Brenda
<brenda...@yahoo.com> wrote
in<news:mmsfdn$h1t$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:

[...]

> I have been telling people that CURSE OF CHALION is one
> of the best modern fantasy novels. There certainly are
> few in its league.

My shortlist, based partly on how strongly I was affected
on first reading, would certainly include:

_The Blue Sword_ (McKinley)

_The Curse of Chalion_ (Bujold)

_The Dark Is Rising_ (Cooper)

_The Door into Fire_, _The Door into Shadow_, _The Door
into Sunset_ (Duane)

_Red Moon and Black Mountain_ (Chant)

_The Riddle-Master of Hed_, _Heir of Sea and Fire_, and
_Harpist in the Wind_ (McKillip)

_The Weirdstone of Brisingamen_, _Moon of Gomrath_ (Garner)

In addition, the entire Essalieyan corpus by Michelle
Sagara (writing as Michelle West), though I can’t pick out
any one book, and the same for her slightly less ambitious
Elantra series.

If I’m allowed to include as modern a work older than LotR
and _The Once and Future King_ (which are of course on the
list), Leslie Barringer’s _Shy Leopardess_ is definitely
there, and in my opinion distinctly modern in its
sensibility.

It’s not a novel, but Brunner’s _The Traveller in Black_ is
up there.

A few that almost make it -- very, very good, but not
having made quite as strong an impression on me for one
reason or another, or not quite as good, or not quite as
much to my specific taste:

_Between the Forest and the Hills_ (Ann Lawrence)

_Bridge of Birds_ (Barry Hughart)

_Chase the Morning_, _The Gates of Noon_, _Cloud Castles_
(Michael Scott Rohan)

_The Deeds of Paksenarrion_ (Moon)

_The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her
Own Making_ (Valente)

_The Grey Mane of Morning_ (Chant)

_The King of Attolia_ (Megan Whalen Turner)

_The Last Unicorn_ (Peter S. Beagle)

_The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden_, _The Orphan's
Tales: In the Cities of Coin and Spice_ (Valente)

_Paladin of Souls_ (Bujold)

_A Rumor of Gems_ (Ellen Steiber)

_Sunshine_ (McKinley)

Evaluations subject to change without notice. No claim to
completeness is made.

Brian
--
[Die Stimme] gehörte General Titus M Izzad, Kommandeur der
Siebten Flotte, seit achzig Jahren tot und sehr erfolgreich

Chris Buckley

Jun 30, 2015, 10:39:21 AM6/30/15
Excellent list - even to the division between short list and very,
very good (I personally would put _The Last Unicorn_ in the short
list, replacing Cooper). I'll have to read the Barringer, Turner and
Lawrence books; the rest I've read and are very good (though Valente
is not to my taste).

My only short list addition would be _Tigana_ by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Other very, very good additions might be
_A Wizard of Earthsea_ (LeGuin)
_Little, Big_ (Crowley)
_Swordspoint_ (Kushner)
_One for the Morning Glory_ (Barnes)

More personal favorites
_A College of Magics_ (Stevermer)
_Juniper, Gentian, and Rosemary_ (Dean)
Kencyrath series (Hodgell)
Abhorsen series (Nix)
The Fionavar Tapestry (Kay)

--
Chris

Kevrob

Jun 30, 2015, 1:12:05 PM6/30/15
One (or two) I relaly enjoyed from the 1980s:

The Infinity Concerto (1984) by Greg Bear

There was a sequel:

The Serpent Mage (1986)

and a combined edition: Songs of Earth and Power (1994) mock-Tolkien
EFP that surrounded it on the shelves.

I also love Thorne Smith, especially
"TOPPER" and "THE NIGHT LIFE OF THE GODS."

Kevin R

Kevrob

Jun 30, 2015, 1:14:29 PM6/30/15
> One (or two) I really enjoyed from the 1980s:
>
> The Infinity Concerto (1984) by Greg Bear
>
> There was a sequel:
>
> The Serpent Mage (1986)
>
> and a combined edition: Songs of Earth and Power (1994)

My browser ate part of this post. Should read:

"I enjoyed this because it was so different from all the
mock-Tolien EFP that surrounded it on the shelves."

Brian M. Scott

Jun 30, 2015, 2:40:25 PM6/30/15
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 10:12:02 -0700 (PDT), Kevrob
<kev...@my-deja.com> wrote
in<news:000f4a1f-0744-49a0...@googlegroups.com>
in rec.arts.sf.written:

[...]

> I also love Thorne Smith, especially
> "TOPPER" and "THE NIGHT LIFE OF THE GODS."

I considered including the latter in my second list but
decided to stick with a more restrictive definition of
‘modern’.

Brian M. Scott

Jun 30, 2015, 3:11:58 PM6/30/15
On 30 Jun 2015 14:39:18 GMT, Chris Buckley <al...@sabir.com>
wrote in<news:slrnmp5al...@video.sabir.com> in
rec.arts.sf.written:
None of the Kay that I’ve read would make either list, but
I quite liked _A Song for Arbonne_ and _The Lions of
Al-Rassan_. I’ve not yet read _Ysabel_, which, to judge by
what I’ve heard about it, may turn out to be my favorite.

> Other very, very good additions might be
> _A Wizard of Earthsea_ (LeGuin)

It would have been on my shortlist years ago, but somehow
it’s dropped off my mental map.

> _Little, Big_ (Crowley)

Leaves me cold, I’m afraid; I didn’t even finish it.

> _Swordspoint_ (Kushner)

I prefer _The Privilege of the Sword_, but they’re both
good.

> _One for the Morning Glory_ (Barnes)

I thought it hilarious and clever, but it doesn’t have much
emotional bite, at least for me.

> More personal favorites
> _A College of Magics_ (Stevermer)

That’s very good, as is _When the King Comes Home_; I
didn’t like _A Scholar of Magics_ as much.

> _Juniper, Gentian, and Rosemary_ (Dean)

I’m not usually fond of Dean, but I did rather like that
one.

> Kencyrath series (Hodgell)

Well above average.

> Abhorsen series (Nix)

If I remember correctly, I liked _Sabriel_ best, but I’ve
not yet read the most recent one.

> The Fionavar Tapestry (Kay)

I read it when it was new, but all that I remember is that
I enjoyed it but wasn’t overwhelmed.

Scott Lurndal

Jun 30, 2015, 3:38:54 PM6/30/15
I'd add Kurtz' _Adept_ series and Stewarts _Crystal Cave_ trilogy.

Brian M. Scott

Jun 30, 2015, 3:53:23 PM6/30/15
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 19:38:51 GMT, Scott Lurndal
<sc...@slp53.sl.home> wrote
in<news:ffCkx.22961$546....@fx06.iad> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

[...]

> I'd add Kurtz' _Adept_ series and Stewarts _Crystal Cave_
> trilogy.

For me the Stewart, though good, pales beside Rosemary
Sutcliff’s _Sword at Sunset_. The Sutcliff, which has just
one tiny element of fantasy, remains *the* quasi-realistic
Arthurian retelling for me, _The Once and Future King_
being *the* Malory-like retelling.

For me the Adept series doesn’t come anywhere near
qualifying: McGuire’s Toby Daye series, Wilks’s Lupi
series, Briggs’s Mercy Thompson/Alpha & Omega series, and
Andrews’s Kate Daniels series, to name a few, would make
the list well ahead of the Adept books. Kurtz’s best claim
would be the first two Deryni books, which I thought were
very good.

Konrad Gaertner

Jun 30, 2015, 3:58:23 PM6/30/15
On 6/30/2015 12:12 PM, Kevrob wrote:

> I also love Thorne Smith, especially
> "TOPPER" and "THE NIGHT LIFE OF THE GODS."

I missed the start of this thread, but how exactly are we defining
"Modern" here? I don't think I've seen anything less than 20 years old
mentioned.

I'm reading stuff published this year, but by authors who have been
around for quite a while: Robin Hobb, Michelle Sagara, Adrian
Tchaikovsky, Patricia Briggs, and Jo Walton.

Who are the good, *new* authors of fantasy?

--
Konrad Gaertner - - - - - - - - - - - - email: kgae...@tx.rr.com
http://kgbooklog.livejournal.com/

Gene Wirchenko

Jun 30, 2015, 5:57:11 PM6/30/15
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 22:41:18 -0400, "Brian M. Scott"
<b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 18:06:02 -0400, Brenda
><brenda...@yahoo.com> wrote
>in<news:mmsfdn$h1t$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>[...]
>
>> I have been telling people that CURSE OF CHALION is one
>> of the best modern fantasy novels. There certainly are
>> few in its league.
>
>My shortlist, based partly on how strongly I was affected
>on first reading, would certainly include:

[snip]

>It’s not a novel, but Brunner’s _The Traveller in Black_ is
>up there.

I am rereading it now.

>A few that almost make it -- very, very good, but not
>having made quite as strong an impression on me for one
>reason or another, or not quite as good, or not quite as
>much to my specific taste:

[snip]

>_The Deeds of Paksenarrion_ (Moon)

It is "Deed" (singular). I like this one quite a bit.

[snip]

>Evaluations subject to change without notice. No claim to
>completeness is made.

This, too.

Let me add LoTR. When the hobbits are first fleeing the Black
Rider, I still worry even though I know how it will work out. How
Tolkien gets that WSOD from me is beyond me.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Brian M. Scott

Jun 30, 2015, 7:05:04 PM6/30/15
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:58:18 -0500, Konrad Gaertner
<kgae...@tx.rr.com> wrote
in<news:mmusa9$acp$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:

> On 6/30/2015 12:12 PM, Kevrob wrote:

>> I also love Thorne Smith, especially
>> "TOPPER" and "THE NIGHT LIFE OF THE GODS."

> I missed the start of this thread, but how exactly are we
> defining "Modern" here? I don't think I've seen anything
> less than 20 years old mentioned.

I started the thread, and I implied that (with one
exception) I was taking ‘modern’ to include anything after
LoTR and _The Once and Future King_. _The Curse of
Chalion_, whose mention started the thread, is from 2001.
Streiber’s _A Rumor of Gems_ is from 2005. McKinley’s
_Sunshine_ is from 2003. _The King of Attolia_ is from
2006. The three books by Valente that I mentioned are from
2006, 2007, and 2011.

> I'm reading stuff published this year, but by authors who
> have been around for quite a while: Robin Hobb, Michelle
> Sagara, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Patricia Briggs, and Jo
> Walton.

> Who are the good, *new* authors of fantasy?

I quite like Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London urban
fantasy series, which started in 2011; he’s new in the
sense that this was his first independent novel (after a
few Doctor Who tie-ins).

Ilona Andrews’s Kate Daniels series is another automatic
purchase; it began in 2007 with the authors’ first novel.

Elizabeth Bear’s first novel came out in 2005 and was
science fiction. Since then she’s written much more
fantasy than science fiction; I especially recommend the
Edda of Burdens trilogy, and most especially its first
volume (2008), _All the Windwracked Stars_. She also has a
couple of good novels written with Sarah Monette, who (as
Katherine Addison) recently wrote the excellent _The Goblin
Emperor_.

Robert Jackson Bennett’s _City of Stairs_ (2014), his fifth
novel, was rather different and quite good; I’ve not read
his first four (starting in 2010).

Aliette de Bodard’s Aztec fantasy trilogy (2010-2011), her
only novels to date, is both unusual and very good.

Marie Brennan’s first novel came out in 2006; my favorite
of hers is _Midnight Never Come_ (2008), the first volume
of her Onyx Court tetralogy.

Max Gladstone has three novels, starting with _Three Parts
Dead_ in 2012. All are set in the same fictional world,
which has enough cultural variety to allow some very
different tales to be told, and all are very good.

Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid Chonicles are quite good; his
first novel is from 2011.

Helen Lowe’s first novel was the excellent YA _Thornspell_
in 2009; she has since written _The Heir of Night_ and its
sequel _The Gathering of the Lost_, and I understand that
the third volume, _Daughter of Blood_, has been written;
the series is very good high fantasy.

Melissa Marr started in 2007 with _Wicked Lovely_, the
first of a decent YA series. The unrelated _Untamed City:
Carnival of Secrets_ is nominally also YA and is, I think,
better; I’d like to see a sequel. Her adult _The Arrivals_
is good.

Seanan McGuire’s Toby Daye series, which started in 2009
and currently stands at eight books with five more under
contract, is excellent. I’m less taken with her InCryptid
fantasy series, but her novel _Indexing_, originally an
Amazon serial, is quite good.

Henry H. Neff’s first novel was _The Hound of Rowan_
(2007), first of the Tapestry pentalogy. Don’t be fooled
by the opening, which has a slightly-younger-than-YA feel:
the protagonist of the pentalogy starts young but is forced
to grow up very quickly. It’s an ambitious effort, and
Neff pulls it off well.

Rachel Neumeier’s first book, _The City in the Lake_, came
out in 2008; it has some of the same feel as the
Riddle-Master trilogy. She has since written a complex
high fantasy trilogy (the Griffin Mage trilogy), the
excellent _House of Shadows_, and the YA fantasies _The
Floating Islands_ and _Black Dog_. I can recommend all of
them.

Gaie Sebold’s _Babylon Steel_ (2011), her first novel, and
its sequel _Dangerous Gifts_ are solid fantasy entries in
an interesting setting -- three settings altogether,
actually.

Nalini Singh’s Guild Hunter and Psy/Changeling series are
definitely paranormal romance, but each has a long-term
story line that advances significantly in each book, and
she’s a good storyteller. If you don’t mind the requisite
romance elements, both series are enjoyable.

Dianne Sylvan’s first novel was her first Shadow World
novel, _Queen of Shadows_, in 2010; there have been five
more in the series since then. Not exceptional, but solid
urban fantasy.

Eileen Wilks’s Lupi series started as decent urban fantasy
with a romance element and has steadily improved and moved
even further away from romance; the series is now one of my
handful of automatic purchases. It started in 2004, with
her first novel.

All of these have been published traditionally. There are
also some self-published writers whose fantasy I’ve
enjoyed, among them the following:

D.K. Holmberg’s Cloud Warrior Saga, currently at five
books, is readable high fantasy. His Painter Mage series,
currently at two books with a third due in a month, is
readable urban fantasy. Nothing special, but as good as
much that is published traditionally.

Andrea K Höst has been self-publishing fantasy with a bit
of science fantasy since 2010; her most recent book, _The
Pyramids of London_, is the start of a fantasy alternate
history series and is very good. Her Touchstone trilogy
(with the novella ‘Gratuitous Epilogue’) is more science
fantasy than straight fantasy, but I also greatly enjoyed
it.

L. Shelby has been self-publishing novels since 2014; she
writes very stylish fantasy emphasizing culture rather than
traditional typical fantasy elements.

Frank Tuttle started self-publishing the Markhat Files in
2008; these feature the finder (think private detective)
Markhat in a world of vampires, ogres, trolls, etc.
Somewhat in the vein of Glen Cook’s Garr Garrett P.I.
novels. _All the Paths of Shadow_, in a very different
setting, is even better.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 30, 2015, 7:29:17 PM6/30/15
On 6/30/15 3:58 PM, Konrad Gaertner wrote:
> On 6/30/2015 12:12 PM, Kevrob wrote:
>
>> I also love Thorne Smith, especially
>> "TOPPER" and "THE NIGHT LIFE OF THE GODS."
>
> I missed the start of this thread, but how exactly are we defining
> "Modern" here? I don't think I've seen anything less than 20 years old
> mentioned.
>
> I'm reading stuff published this year, but by authors who have been
> around for quite a while: Robin Hobb, Michelle Sagara, Adrian
> Tchaikovsky, Patricia Briggs, and Jo Walton.
>
> Who are the good, *new* authors of fantasy?

Harry Connolly's a pretty darn good author and he does fantasy of
various flavors.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Konrad Gaertner

Jun 30, 2015, 7:46:46 PM6/30/15
On 6/30/2015 6:04 PM, Brian M. Scott wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:58:18 -0500, Konrad Gaertner
> <kgae...@tx.rr.com> wrote
> in<news:mmusa9$acp$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> Who are the good, *new* authors of fantasy?

Wow, that's an impressive list!

These are ones I've already tried and wasn't impressed with:
Ben Aaronovitch
Ilona Andrews
Elizabeth Bear
Kevin Hearne
Seanan McGuire (both series)
Eileen Wilks

Ones I liked and would like to read more of:
Sarah Monette (Katherine Addison)
Aliette de Bodard
Marie Brennan (both series)
Max Gladstone

And also Bujold's _Sharing Knife_ setting.

Robert Bannister

Jun 30, 2015, 8:21:27 PM6/30/15
On 1/07/2015 7:04 am, Brian M. Scott wrote:

>> I missed the start of this thread, but how exactly are we
>> defining "Modern" here? I don't think I've seen anything
>> less than 20 years old mentioned.

Something a little different, but I like:

Galen Beckett "Mrs Quent" series - I've got three, not sure if there's
another;
Sharon Lee "Carousel" trilogy or will it be longer?
Julie Czerneda - I love all her books, though I'm not sure if she's new;
J Kathleen Cheney - magic set in an alternate, Renaissance Portugal.

Another book I very much liked, well two books really, but I cannot
track them down on my shelves, and my search for "The Alchemist's
Apprentice" turned up so many books with the same title and none of them
like the book I enjoyed.

I quite like Helen Lowe's "Wall" series.
--
Robert Bannister
Perth, Western Australia

Brian M. Scott

Jun 30, 2015, 8:35:53 PM6/30/15
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 18:46:42 -0500, Konrad Gaertner
<kgae...@tx.rr.com> wrote
in<news:mmv9mh$96b$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:

> On 6/30/2015 6:04 PM, Brian M. Scott wrote:

>> On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:58:18 -0500, Konrad Gaertner
>> <kgae...@tx.rr.com> wrote
>> in<news:mmusa9$acp$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:

>>> Who are the good, *new* authors of fantasy?

> Wow, that's an impressive list!

> These are ones I've already tried and wasn't impressed with:
> Ben Aaronovitch
> Ilona Andrews
> Elizabeth Bear
> Kevin Hearne
> Seanan McGuire (both series)
> Eileen Wilks

I’m a little surprised by that last one, if you like
Briggs: the later Lupi novels seem to me to have quite a
lot in common with the Mercy Thompson novels.

> Ones I liked and would like to read more of:
> Sarah Monette (Katherine Addison)
> Aliette de Bodard
> Marie Brennan (both series)
> Max Gladstone

> And also Bujold's _Sharing Knife_ setting.

Based on that I’ll suggest the Bennett as being one of the
more likely ones on my list. Neumeier is worth a look;
note that _The City in the Lake_, the Griffin Mage trilogy,
and _House of Shadows_ are all completely different. Lowe
is also worth a look, I think.

Shelby isn’t very similar to anything else that comes to
mind, so you’re on your own there; I shouldn’t be surprised
if it turned out that people tend to like her work quite a
bit or not much at all.

If you’ve not read it, you might try Mazarkis Williams’s
Tower and Knife trilogy. Anthony Ryan’s Raven’s Shadow
trilogy is another possibility; the first two volumes are
out, and the third is coming next week. One other
possibility that comes to mind is Mike Shevdon’s Court of
the Feyre series.

Brian M. Scott

Jun 30, 2015, 9:18:27 PM6/30/15
On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 08:21:22 +0800, Robert Bannister
<rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote
in<news:cvgq44...@mid.individual.net> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> On 1/07/2015 7:04 am, Brian M. Scott wrote:

>>> I missed the start of this thread, but how exactly are we
>>> defining "Modern" here? I don't think I've seen anything
>>> less than 20 years old mentioned.

> Something a little different, but I like:

> Galen Beckett "Mrs Quent" series - I've got three, not
> sure if there's another;

There are three. ‘Galen Beckett’ is a pseudonym for Mark
Anthony(!), whose first solo novel was a Forgotten Realms
novel in 1993; his first independent novel came out in
1998.

> Sharon Lee "Carousel" trilogy or will it be longer?

They’re very good, but she and Steve Miller have been
publishing the Liaden novels since 1988, so she doesn’t
really count as new. She describes it as a trilogy.

> Julie Czerneda - I love all her books, though I'm not
> sure if she's new;

_A Thousand Words for Stranger_ came out in 1997; it was
her first published novel. The outstanding Species
Imperative trilogy was 2004-6. Thus, she’s by no means new
as a familiar name. _A Turn of Light_ (2013) was, however,
her first fantasy novel, and she seems to be committed in
that direction for now: the sequel came out last year, and
she’s contracted for three after that.

> J Kathleen Cheney - magic set in an alternate,
> Renaissance Portugal.

The first one is in the reading queue, and yes, I suspect
that I’ll find these quite good.

> Another book I very much liked, well two books really,
> but I cannot track them down on my shelves, and my
> search for "The Alchemist's Apprentice" turned up so
> many books with the same title and none of them like the
> book I enjoyed.

I suspect that you’re thinking of Dave Duncan, whose _The
Alchemist’s Apprentice’ is the first book of his Venice
trilogy. Dave Duncan’s first novel, _A Rose-Red City_,
came out in 1987; it’s probably my favorite of those of his
that I’ve read. I put him in roughly the same class as
David Gemmell: quite reliable, but also safe to miss out.

> I quite like Helen Lowe's "Wall" series.

So do I, and I thought the second book better than the
first, so I’m hoping that she continues on a high note.

J. Clarke

Jun 30, 2015, 10:48:16 PM6/30/15
In article <cvgq44...@mid.individual.net>, rob...@clubtelco.com
says...

> On 1/07/2015 7:04 am, Brian M. Scott wrote:
>
> >> I missed the start of this thread, but how exactly are we
> >> defining "Modern" here? I don't think I've seen anything
> >> less than 20 years old mentioned.
>
> Something a little different, but I like:
>
> Galen Beckett "Mrs Quent" series - I've got three, not sure if there's
> another;
> Sharon Lee "Carousel" trilogy or will it be longer?
> Julie Czerneda - I love all her books, though I'm not sure if she's new;

I've never thought of her as a fantasy author--have I missed something?

> J Kathleen Cheney - magic set in an alternate, Renaissance Portugal.
>
> Another book I very much liked, well two books really, but I cannot
> track them down on my shelves, and my search for "The Alchemist's
> Apprentice" turned up so many books with the same title and none of them
> like the book I enjoyed.
>
> I quite like Helen Lowe's "Wall" series.

Personally I rather liked Wen Spencer's "Tinker". The sequels not so
much--Tinker had a rather radical makeover that kind of spoiled the
character for me.

Mary Gentle's "Book of Ash" is a series that seems to provoke strong
feelings--people seem to love it or hate it.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 30, 2015, 10:56:41 PM6/30/15
As long as we're mentioning the '80s, I was just reminded by a reference
in the latest Liaden book of Jo Clayton who unfortunately passed way
too soon. She wrote a lot of good fantasy, but I've always thought her
best was her "Duel of Sorcery" trilogy:

1 Moongather (1982)
2 Moonscatter (1983)
3 Changer's Moon (1985)
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Brian M. Scott

Jun 30, 2015, 10:58:25 PM6/30/15
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 22:56:21 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote
in<news:MPG.2ffd20e0f...@news.eternal-september.org>
in rec.arts.sf.written:
[...]

>> Julie Czerneda - I love all her books, though I'm not
>> sure if she's new;

> I've never thought of her as a fantasy author--have I
> missed something?

Yes: she became one in 2013 with _A Turn of Light_, which
is indeed very good. A sequel came out last year but
hasn’t yet made it to the head of my queue, and she’s
contracted for three more after that.

> Personally I rather liked Wen Spencer's "Tinker". The
> sequels not so much--Tinker had a rather radical
> makeover that kind of spoiled the character for me.

My favorite so far is _Wolf Who Rules_, but I like all
three that I’ve read; I’ve not read _Wood Sprites_ yet.

> Mary Gentle's "Book of Ash" is a series that seems to
> provoke strong feelings--people seem to love it or hate
> it.

In any case I have to call it science fiction, though I can
certainly understand those who don’t think of it that way.
(But it’s a single novel, not a series, even if the U.S.
publisher did insist on splitting it into four physical
volumes.)

Actually, I think that you could say that about most of
Mary’s work.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 30, 2015, 11:04:22 PM6/30/15
In article <okrni3rhgn58$.1wvdipsctpi29$.d...@40tude.net>,
Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:

>All of these have been published traditionally. There are
>also some self-published writers whose fantasy I’ve
>enjoyed, among them the following:

Lindsay Buroker is now an automatic buy for me as is Mark Henwick.

Brian M. Scott

Jun 30, 2015, 11:09:02 PM6/30/15
On 1 Jul 2015 02:56:38 GMT, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>"
<t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote
in<news:cvh375...@mid.individual.net> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> As long as we're mentioning the '80s, I was just reminded
> by a reference in the latest Liaden book of Jo Clayton

I missed that, unless I’ve already forgotten (which would
be disconcerting, since I finished it just a day or two
ago). I *did* like the nice reference to _Hellspark_,
though; it’s one of my all-time favorites.

> who unfortunately passed way too soon.

She did indeed.

> She wrote a lot of good fantasy,

And a lot of good science fiction.

> but I've always thought her best was her "Duel of
> Sorcery" trilogy:

> 1 Moongather (1982)
> 2 Moonscatter (1983)
> 3 Changer's Moon (1985)

Brian M. Scott

Jun 30, 2015, 11:19:56 PM6/30/15
On 1 Jul 2015 03:04:19 GMT, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>"
<t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote
in<news:cvh3li...@mid.individual.net> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> In article <okrni3rhgn58$.1wvdipsctpi29$.d...@40tude.net>,
> Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:

>>All of these have been published traditionally. There are
>>also some self-published writers whose fantasy I’ve
>>enjoyed, among them the following:

> Lindsay Buroker is now an automatic buy for me as is Mark
> Henwick.

Henwick is for me, but not Buroker. I just wish that his
next one weren’t going so slowly, though the first quarter
of it has apparently been given to his beta readers now.

I’ve no quarrel with the quality of her writing; I just
haven’t been drawn in, for some reason. Of the few that
I’ve read, I think that I liked _Encrypted_ best, though
_The Assassin’s Salvation_ (as by Ruby Lionsdrake) was kind
of fun.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 30, 2015, 11:26:20 PM6/30/15
In article <e56t7g1whsus$.1oskt4gk...@40tude.net>,
Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>On 1 Jul 2015 02:56:38 GMT, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>"
><t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote
>in<news:cvh375...@mid.individual.net> in
>rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> As long as we're mentioning the '80s, I was just reminded
>> by a reference in the latest Liaden book of Jo Clayton
>
>I missed that, unless I’ve already forgotten (which would
>be disconcerting, since I finished it just a day or two
>ago). I *did* like the nice reference to _Hellspark_,
>though; it’s one of my all-time favorites.

Quin's security: Skeen Liep.

>> who unfortunately passed way too soon.
>
>She did indeed.
>
>> She wrote a lot of good fantasy,
>
>And a lot of good science fiction.

Yeah, though that's another thread. (Though her SF still had
fantasy elements)

David DeLaney

Jun 30, 2015, 11:48:25 PM6/30/15
>> I also love Thorne Smith, especially
>> "TOPPER" and "THE NIGHT LIFE OF THE GODS."

These two are on Project Gutenberg Australia, along with several other Thorne
Smith works, so be careful not to download, read, and enjoy them if they are
still under copyright where you live.

To the lists I personally would add at LEAST Tanith Lee's Flat Earth novels
(Night's Master, Death's Master, Delusion's Master, Delirium's Mistress,
Night's Sorceries), and I lament that her recent passing may mean there will
not be the next two that were planned (which I have as Earth's Master and The
Earth Is Flat?).

Dave
http://gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd/ -net.legends/Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Brian M. Scott

Jun 30, 2015, 11:50:57 PM6/30/15
On 1 Jul 2015 03:26:16 GMT, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>"
<t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote
in<news:cvh4uo...@mid.individual.net> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> In article <e56t7g1whsus$.1oskt4gk...@40tude.net>,
> Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:

>> On 1 Jul 2015 02:56:38 GMT, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>"
>> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote
>> in<news:cvh375...@mid.individual.net> in
>> rec.arts.sf.written:

>>> As long as we're mentioning the '80s, I was just reminded
>>> by a reference in the latest Liaden book of Jo Clayton

>> I missed that, unless I’ve already forgotten (which
>> would be disconcerting, since I finished it just a day
>> or two ago). I *did* like the nice reference to
>> _Hellspark_, though; it's one of my all-time favorites.

> Quin's security: Skeen Liep.

Oh, you’re right! Yes, I did miss that. Thanks!

[...]

Kevrob

Jul 1, 2015, 12:44:42 AM7/1/15
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 11:50:57 PM UTC-4, Brian M. Scott wrote:
> On 1 Jul 2015 03:26:16 GMT, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>"
> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote
> in<news:cvh4uo...@mid.individual.net> in
> rec.arts.sf.written:
>
> > In article <e56t7g1whsus$.1oskt4gk...@40tude.net>,
> > Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>
> >> On 1 Jul 2015 02:56:38 GMT, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>"
> >> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote
> >> in<news:cvh375...@mid.individual.net> in
> >> rec.arts.sf.written:

> >> I missed that, unless Iâ ve already forgotten (which
> >> would be disconcerting, since I finished it just a day
> >> or two ago). I *did* like the nice reference to
> >> _Hellspark_, though; it's one of my all-time favorites.
>
> > Quin's security: Skeen Liep.
>
> Oh, you're right! Yes, I did miss that. Thanks!
>
> [...]

As the 20th century turned into the 21st, we got Gregory Keyes'
"Age of Unreason" quartet. Parallel worlds/alt history? But the
alt earth runs on magickal rules.

The late Aaron Allston's Doc Sidhe books.

Kevin R

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jul 1, 2015, 1:08:10 AM7/1/15
In article <b3cfd243-a0e4-40a9...@googlegroups.com>,
Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>The late Aaron Allston's Doc Sidhe books.

Those were fun, particularly the first. I wish he had done more
of his own stuff.

Brian M. Scott

Jul 1, 2015, 1:18:04 AM7/1/15
On 1 Jul 2015 05:08:06 GMT, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>"
<t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote
in<news:cvhatm...@mid.individual.net> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> In article <b3cfd243-a0e4-40a9...@googlegroups.com>,
> Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>>The late Aaron Allston's Doc Sidhe books.

> Those were fun, particularly the first. I wish he had
> done more of his own stuff.

Yes, and yes!

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jul 1, 2015, 6:32:47 AM7/1/15
On 6/30/15 10:56 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> As long as we're mentioning the '80s, I was just reminded by a reference
> in the latest Liaden book of Jo Clayton who unfortunately passed way
> too soon. She wrote a lot of good fantasy, but I've always thought her
> best was her "Duel of Sorcery" trilogy:
>
> 1 Moongather (1982)
> 2 Moonscatter (1983)
> 3 Changer's Moon (1985)

In the 80s, I'd also mention _Doomfarers of Coramonde_ and
_Starfollowers of Coramonde_, the dualogy by the sadly no-longer-with-us
Brian Daley.

I've of course released the first two books in my own epic fantasy
trilogy The Balanced Sword (_Phoenix Rising_ and _Phoenix in Shadow_)
but _Phoenix Ascendant_, which presumably will let people decide how
good it is overall, won't come out until probably next year.

William December Starr

Jul 1, 2015, 9:55:02 AM7/1/15
In article <8dmgab6vs4y9.1iy5c0kfpykyn$.d...@40tude.net>,
"Brian M. Scott" <b.s...@csuohio.edu> said:

> "J. Clarke" <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote
>
>> Mary Gentle's "Book of Ash" is a series that seems to
>> provoke strong feelings--people seem to love it or hate it.
>
> In any case I have to call it science fiction, though I can
> certainly understand those who don't think of it that way.
> (But it's a single novel, not a series, even if the U.S.
> publisher did insist on splitting it into four physical
> volumes.)

Honestly, I think that was a good thing. As a four-book series it's
digestible but as a single novel it would be Too Damned Long. Even
though it's exactly the same words either way.

("But that's completely illogical!"

"And I'm not a Vulcan, so fuck you.")

-- wds

William December Starr

Jul 1, 2015, 10:02:11 AM7/1/15
In article <ejtckxiyrtw1$.cc0b7lk2...@40tude.net>,
"Brian M. Scott" <b.s...@csuohio.edu> said:

[ re Lindsay Buroker ]

> I've no quarrel with the quality of her writing; I just
> haven't been drawn in, for some reason. Of the few that I've
> read, I think that I liked _Encrypted_ best, though _The
> Assassin's Salvation_ (as by Ruby Lionsdrake) was kind of
> fun.

"Ruby Lionsdrake"? Even as a romance-novelist name that's gotta
be in inside joke.

-- wds

Mike M

Jul 1, 2015, 10:28:17 AM7/1/15
Anagram.

--
So much universe, and so little time. - Sir Terry Pratchett

William December Starr

Jul 1, 2015, 11:48:32 AM7/1/15
In article <1651408838457453676.1...@news.individual.net>,
Mike M <mi...@xenocyte.com> said:

> William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> wrote:

[ re Lindsay Buroker's pen-name ]

>> "Ruby Lionsdrake"? Even as a romance-novelist name
>> that's gotta be in inside joke.
>
> Anagram.

A-HA!

(I might have gone with "Roundelay Brisk" myself.)

-- wds

Steve Coltrin

Jul 1, 2015, 12:50:56 PM7/1/15
begin fnord
t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:

> As long as we're mentioning the '80s, I was just reminded by a reference
> in the latest Liaden book of Jo Clayton

'Diadem', yes?

--
Steve Coltrin spco...@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel

Brian M. Scott

Jul 1, 2015, 3:43:49 PM7/1/15
On 1 Jul 2015 09:54:57 -0400, William December Starr
<wds...@panix.com> wrote
in<news:mn0rfh$bf4$1...@panix2.panix.com> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> In article <8dmgab6vs4y9.1iy5c0kfpykyn$.d...@40tude.net>,
> "Brian M. Scott" <b.s...@csuohio.edu> said:

>> "J. Clarke" <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Mary Gentle's "Book of Ash" is a series that seems to
>>> provoke strong feelings--people seem to love it or hate it.

>> In any case I have to call it science fiction, though I can
>> certainly understand those who don't think of it that way.
>> (But it's a single novel, not a series, even if the U.S.
>> publisher did insist on splitting it into four physical
>> volumes.)

> Honestly, I think that was a good thing. As a four-book
> series it's digestible but as a single novel it would be
> Too Damned Long.

Dunno. I have the big Gollancz paperback, because Mary
sent me a copy.

> Even though it's exactly the same words either way.

If I remember correctly, it isn’t quite, and not just
because of spelling differences: I seem to recall that she
made some small changes to accommodate the division.

[...]

Brian M. Scott

Jul 1, 2015, 3:49:08 PM7/1/15
On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 10:50:53 -0600, Steve Coltrin
<spco...@omcl.org> wrote
in<news:m2oajv3...@kelutral.omcl.org> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> begin fnord
> t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:

>> As long as we're mentioning the '80s, I was just
>> reminded by a reference in the latest Liaden book of Jo
>> Clayton

> 'Diadem', yes?

No, _Skeen’s Leap_, the first book of the Skeen trilogy.

Brenda

Jul 1, 2015, 6:22:05 PM7/1/15

I would definitely pick GREY MANE OF MORNING over RED MOON, BLACK
MOUNTAIN -- it is clerly a greater work, certainly the best novel Chant
wrote. Alas, that she never wrote more!

I see no Diana Wynn Jones here. She could be slight, but FIRE AND
HEMLOCK is a mighty novel.

Brian M. Scott

Jul 1, 2015, 7:36:23 PM7/1/15
On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 18:22:02 -0400, Brenda
<brenda...@yahoo.com> wrote
in<news:mn1p3n$pfg$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:

> I would definitely pick GREY MANE OF MORNING over RED
> MOON, BLACK MOUNTAIN -- it is clerly a greater work,
> certainly the best novel Chant wrote.

The fact remains that it did not make as strong an
impression on me, so it is not, for me, a greater work and
does not -- quite -- make my all-time shortlist.

> Alas, that she never wrote more!

Well, there is _When Voiha Wakes_, though I thought it the
least of the three.

[...]

Anthony Nance

Jul 2, 2015, 9:57:54 AM7/2/15
Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 18:06:02 -0400, Brenda
> <brenda...@yahoo.com> wrote
> in<news:mmsfdn$h1t$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>
> [...]
>
>> I have been telling people that CURSE OF CHALION is one
>> of the best modern fantasy novels. There certainly are
>> few in its league.
>
> My shortlist, based partly on how strongly I was affected
> on first reading,

...is snipped for brevity, but is great by my tastes,
which means the ones I haven't read have moved pretty
high on the list to read/acquire/check out. Thanks.

Combining this part of the thread ("best modern fantasy")
with the "new authors" part of the thread:

A few of my "best" not yet mentioned:
Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series, even more than the
Harry Dresden series: I love (and highly recommend)
both, but I found the Codex Alera series to be richer
and more rewarding. I think the first (of six) in
the Codex Alera series was published in 2004, and the
series is complete. The final book is a fitting,
satisfying, and wonderful end.

Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series:
A long running series with only a few uneven spots,
but generally of very high quality. The most recent
(Hawk) was one of the best.

Two that are a little slight, not quite up to "best",
but which I really enjoy:
- Liz Williams' Inspector Chen series
- almost everything by A Lee Martinez

And one "new" to add to what's been mentioned already:
Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series.

Tony

Tim McDaniel

Jul 3, 2015, 11:52:13 PM7/3/15
In article <20j5q2pri5np$.147aig2y...@40tude.net>,
Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 00:01:55 +0100, Michael R N Dolbear
><m...@privacy.net> wrote
>in<news:cve12v...@mid.individual.net> in
>rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> "Brenda" wrote
>
>>> I have been telling people that CURSE OF CHALION is one
>>> of the best modern fantasy novels. There certainly are
>>> few in its league.
>
>> You don't think Paladin of Souls is still better ?
>
>Can't speak for Brenda, but I don't, though it's certainly
>very, very good.

The scene between Issa and the Father of Winter on the staircase, and
what she says to Arhys after ... I can think of no more moving scene
of high fantasy.

Even more than the endings of The Lord of the Rings (at the Gray
Havens, and when Sam gets home): while very moving, and the *work* is
high fantasy, those two *scenes* are not.

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com

Dan Swartzendruber

Jul 4, 2015, 12:30:06 PM7/4/15
In article <mn7l9a$jdf$1...@reader1.panix.com>, tm...@panix.com says...
I liked both books, although I would find it hard to pick one as
better...

Brian M. Scott

Jul 4, 2015, 5:31:05 PM7/4/15
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 03:52:10 +0000 (UTC), Tim McDaniel
<tm...@panix.com> wrote
in<news:mn7l9a$jdf$1...@reader1.panix.com> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> In article <20j5q2pri5np$.147aig2y...@40tude.net>,
> Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:

>> On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 00:01:55 +0100, Michael R N Dolbear
>> <m...@privacy.net> wrote in<news:cve12v...@mid.individual.net>
>> in rec.arts.sf.written:

>>> "Brenda" wrote

>>> You don't think Paladin of Souls is still better ?

>> Can't speak for Brenda, but I don't, though it's
>> certainly very, very good.

> The scene between Issa and the Father of Winter on the
> staircase, and what she says to Arhys after ... I can
> think of no more moving scene of high fantasy.

But you see, I don’t remember the book well enough for that
even to ring any bells, whereas I do remember quite a bit
of the earlier book. Clearly Chalion made a bigger
impression on me, and that’s a very important part of my
judgement.

> Even more than the endings of The Lord of the Rings (at
> the Gray Havens, and when Sam gets home): while very
> moving, and the *work* is high fantasy, those two
> *scenes* are not.

I don’t know that I’d include those two scenes among the
most moving anyway, especially the latter. Some that come
to mind: the moment near the end of _The Moon of Gomrath_
when Susan is left behind; the star that flares and dies in
_Red Moon and Black Mountain_; learning what Severn did for
Kaylin Neya in the fiefs; the words of the Goddess in _The
Door into Fire_; Sunspark’s return; the end of ‘The Black
Ospreys’ (Michelle West); Duster’s sacrifice in _City of
Night_; the end of _Harpist in the Wind_.

Will in New Haven

Jul 4, 2015, 10:31:55 PM7/4/15
On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 11:52:13 PM UTC-4, Tim McDaniel wrote:
> In article <20j5q2pri5np$.147aig2y...@40tude.net>,
> Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
> >On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 00:01:55 +0100, Michael R N Dolbear
> ><m...@privacy.net> wrote
> >in<news:cve12v...@mid.individual.net> in
> >rec.arts.sf.written:
> >
> >> "Brenda" wrote

> >> You don't think Paladin of Souls is still better ?
> >
> >Can't speak for Brenda, but I don't, though it's certainly
> >very, very good.
>
> The scene between Issa and the Father of Winter on the staircase, and
> what she says to Arhys after ... I can think of no more moving scene

Thanks for bringing back a wonderful scene.

--
Will in New Haven

Joe Bernstein

Jul 7, 2015, 1:11:07 AM7/7/15
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 6:18:27 PM UTC-7, Brian M. Scott wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 08:21:22 +0800, Robert Bannister
> <rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote
> in<news:cvgq44...@mid.individual.net> in
> rec.arts.sf.written:

> > Something a little different, but I like:
>
> > Galen Beckett "Mrs Quent" series - I've got three, not
> > sure if there's another;
>
> There are three. 'Galen Beckett' is a pseudonym for Mark
> Anthony(!), whose first solo novel was a Forgotten Realms
> novel in 1993; his first independent novel came out in
> 1998.

Well, his first independent *series* came out from 1998 to 2004:
<Beyond the Pale>, 1998
<The Keep of Fire>, 1999
<The Dark Remains>, 2001
<Blood of Mystery>, 2002
<The Gates of Winter>, 2003
<The First Stone>, 2004

Each series has a stated Big Concern:
"to explore the idea that reason and wonder need not exist in conflict"
"What if there were a fantastical cause underlying the social
constraints and limited choices confronting a heroine in a novel by
Jane Austen or Charlotte Bronte?"

The first is set largely in a normal secondary world, with protagonists
from our world, and otherwise obeys some generic conventions, which
hides the fact that its narrative is utterly unconventional. (The Dark
Lord is defeated in the first book, for example.) I was satisfied with
what he ended up doing with his stated concern in this one.

The second has one protagonist each from Austen, Dickens, and Wilde, and
takes them places none of those novelists would have imagined, in an
extremely vaguely alt-historical-ish world. I was less satisfied with
his handling of his stated concern in this one, although I thought it a
better shaped story.

I'll be interested to see what he writes next; I think it's possible
that he's gradually teaching himself to write equal to his ambitions,
or also possible (though, I hope, less likely) that he's gradually
teaching himself to write to various subgeneric conventions. In any
event, my book log entry on the second series ends: "Anyone else who
liked [the first series] should like these, and so should anyone who'd
like a character-driven, gender-relations-focused, approach to setting
mythopoeic fantasy in a version of Regency England. I certainly
expect to re-read copies someday, preferably copies I'll own, as I do
now own the entire sextet and the first book of this set."

Joe Bernstein

--
Joe Bernstein, tax preparer and writer <j...@sfbooks.com>

J. Clarke

Jul 7, 2015, 6:34:10 AM7/7/15
In article <urhw42jp0a4r.t...@40tude.net>,
b.s...@csuohio.edu says...

> On 1 Jul 2015 09:54:57 -0400, William December Starr
> <wds...@panix.com> wrote
> in<news:mn0rfh$bf4$1...@panix2.panix.com> in
> rec.arts.sf.written:
>
> > In article <8dmgab6vs4y9.1iy5c0kfpykyn$.d...@40tude.net>,
> > "Brian M. Scott" <b.s...@csuohio.edu> said:
>
> >> "J. Clarke" <j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote

> >> In any case I have to call it science fiction, though I can
> >> certainly understand those who don't think of it that way.
> >> (But it's a single novel, not a series, even if the U.S.
> >> publisher did insist on splitting it into four physical
> >> volumes.)
>
> > Honestly, I think that was a good thing. As a four-book
> > series it's digestible but as a single novel it would be
> > Too Damned Long.
>
> Dunno. I have the big Gollancz paperback, because Mary
> sent me a copy.
>
> > Even though it's exactly the same words either way.
>
> If I remember correctly, it isn?t quite, and not just
> because of spelling differences: I seem to recall that she
> made some small changes to accommodate the division.
>
> [...]
>
> Brian

You know, talking recent fantasy, nobody's mentioned China Mieville or
Neil Gaiman. Haven't really warmed up to Gaiman but he's certainly well
regarded. Mieville I need to take in small doses and digest for a while
before I'm ready for my next fix.

Greg Weeks

Jul 7, 2015, 2:29:54 PM7/7/15
On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 8:31:11 PM UTC-4, bre...@sff.net wrote:
> An interview with Lois McMaster Bujold here:
> http://www.holdfastmagazine.com/featured-author-issue-6/4589771561
>
> And, a throwaway at the very end:
> > Lois is referring to the other series for which she is famous, the Chalion series, set in the World of the Five Gods. She has a new novella in this series, "Penric's Demon", due out as an e-publication later this summer. Check out her Goodreads blog, where she'll be posting the opening scene soon!
> >

> Now is that thrilling or not?
>
> Brenda

I'd like to point out that this is for sale noe.

http://www.amazon.com/Penrics-Demon-Lois-McMaster-Bujold-ebook/dp/B0114LJ3BU

Greg Weeks

Jerry Brown

Jul 7, 2015, 4:51:31 PM7/7/15
Well, that's the rest of my evening sorted out:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penrics-Demon-Lois-McMaster-Bujold-ebook/dp/B0114LJ3BU
(for those of us of an Eastward disposition)

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Brian M. Scott

Jul 7, 2015, 5:25:22 PM7/7/15
On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 06:43:03 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<j.clark...@gmail.com> wrote
in<news:MPG.300577421...@news.eternal-september.org>
in rec.arts.sf.written:

[...]

> You know, talking recent fantasy, nobody's mentioned
> China Mieville or Neil Gaiman. Haven't really warmed up
> to Gaiman but he's certainly well regarded. Mieville I
> need to take in small doses and digest for a while
> before I'm ready for my next fix.

Haven’t yet read any Miéville. I quite liked _Stardust_
and _Neverwhere_; _American Gods_, _Anansi Boys_, and
_Coraline_ were enjoyable enough.

Brenda

Jul 7, 2015, 7:54:26 PM7/7/15

Robert Bannister

Jul 7, 2015, 8:30:10 PM7/7/15
On 7/07/2015 6:43 pm, J. Clarke wrote:

> You know, talking recent fantasy, nobody's mentioned China Mieville or
> Neil Gaiman. Haven't really warmed up to Gaiman but he's certainly well
> regarded. Mieville I need to take in small doses and digest for a while
> before I'm ready for my next fix.

I like the former rather more than the latter. I also rather like Trudi
Canavan, Karen Miller and Carol Berg - none of the new, of course.

--
Robert Bannister
Perth, Western Australia

David DeLaney

Jul 8, 2015, 1:53:35 AM7/8/15
And on Monday I got new MMPB fantasy that looks promising from an Alyc Helms
and Marshall Maresca. (And an SF from S.K. Dunstan.) We'll see!

Dave, strategic book reserves need to be topped off regularly
http://gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd/ -net.legends/Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Brian M. Scott

Jul 8, 2015, 4:08:44 AM7/8/15
On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 00:53:33 -0500, David DeLaney
<davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote
in<news:HdadnfSGmeRAJwHI...@earthlink.com> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

[...]

> And on Monday I got new MMPB fantasy that looks promising
> from an Alyc Helms

Let us know how that one is. I was never bitten by the
superhero bug (arachnoid or otherwise), so books that draw
on that tradition tend to fall a bit flat for me, but that
one sounds as if it might have enough else going on to be
interesting.

> and Marshall Maresca.

_The Thorn of Dentonhill_, or _A Murder of Mages_? I’m
guessing the latter, since I just bought the ebook.

> (And an SF from S.K. Dunstan.) We'll see!

Are you sure that you don’t mean S.K. Dunstall, _Linesman_?

David DeLaney

Jul 8, 2015, 8:28:59 PM7/8/15
On 2015-07-08, Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
> David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote
>> And on Monday I got new MMPB fantasy that looks promising
>> from an Alyc Helms
>
> Let us know how that one is. I was never bitten by the
> superhero bug (arachnoid or otherwise), so books that draw
> on that tradition tend to fall a bit flat for me, but that
> one sounds as if it might have enough else going on to be interesting.

Read it to-day, and it seemed quite readable. It's superheroing, pulp-ish
style (because Mr Mystic started out a long time back), in San Francisco,
with a Shadow Realm involved (because the new Mr Mystic's powers aren't the
same as her grandfather's), crossed with Big Trouble in Little China-style
shenanigans, an interspersed backstory, and an international set of plotines.

Plus a shadow rat named Templeton, the dangers of learning etiquette too
quickly, untold secrets of fox-spirit tail-adding, sleight of hand, and added
superheroes including one whose picture I have a deep need to see... And
Chinese mythology (a slightly different take on it than Kylie Chan's).

>> and Marshall Maresca.
>
> _The Thorn of Dentonhill_, or _A Murder of Mages_? I???m
> guessing the latter, since I just bought the ebook.

The latter; he seems to be starting off two related series at once, and I
liked the setting.

>> (And an SF from S.K. Dunstan.) We'll see!
>
> Are you sure that you don???t mean S.K. Dunstall, _Linesman_?

Checking, I do indeed. I blame the book's cover font, naturally.

Dave

Titus G

Aug 8, 2015, 1:52:10 AM8/8/15
>> <brenda...@yahoo.com> wrote
>> in<news:mmsfdn$h1t$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I have been telling people that CURSE OF CHALION is one
>>> of the best modern fantasy novels. There certainly are
>>> few in its league.
snip

I have recently finished the first book and was disappointed.
It was so slow. Most of the interesting events had already occurred and
were referenced passively when they could have been more dramatic.
I struggled to sympathise with Cazaril and although an interesting
character, I couldn't help but be reminded of Glokta from Abercrombie's
First Law who was superior in all respects.
Although I enjoyed _The Warriors Apprentice_ and really enjoyed _The
Mountains of Mourning_ , I doubt whether I will read the second in this
trilogy.