Fair Warning re Conquest/Connolly

lal_truckee

Apr 23, 2014, 4:30:09 PM4/23/14

Conquest: Book 1, The Chronicles of the Invaders by John Connolly and
Jennifer Ridyard

is horrid.

I gave it a valiant try, over several evenings:
The prose is blah, the editing is sloppy, the story is non-existent in
the first 30 or so pages (all I could take,) the characters aren't even
place-holders, they're place sleepers, and the authors insist the reader
should struggle through this one and TWO‽ more before they are willing
to let dead dogs lie.

How the hell do these wretched things get on the library "buy" list?

Dirk van den Boom

Apr 24, 2014, 2:33:51 PM4/24/14
Am 23.04.2014 22:30, schrieb lal_truckee:

> Conquest: Book 1, The Chronicles of the Invaders by John Connolly and
> Jennifer Ridyard
>
> is horrid.

Why haven't you told me earlier?
Bought it after I saw the ad in the newest LOCUS.
Now I'm afraid.

--
www.sf-boom-blog.de

Brian M. Scott

Apr 25, 2014, 7:02:25 AM4/25/14
On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:30:09 -0700, lal_truckee
<lal_t...@yahoo.com> wrote in
<news:lj97si$l5u$1...@dont-email.me> in rec.arts.sf.written:
On the basis of the LookInside and the handful of Amazon
reviews, I’m not convinced that I’ll agree with you. In any
case the book is the science fiction Kindle daily deal
today, and I’m certainly willing to risk $2.99 on it.

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered