YASID: Oort Cloud Aliens

John Reiher

Feb 26, 2012, 11:29:36 PM2/26/12
I'm looking for a story I had read a few years ago that dealt with
advanced alien civilizations out in the Oort Cloud.

What I remember of the plot: Two astronomers are tracking a deep space
satellite and it disappears. I think. they look and think they spot
regularly shaped objects in the area of the disappearance. After some
examination, they finally were able to image giant hexagons out at the
edge of the solar system, making the scientist wonder when the new
neighbors will come for a visit in system.

The satellite bit may be wrong, but I'm looking for this story. Thanks
in advance!
--
John Reiher
Tri Tac Games Podcast

William F. Adams

Feb 27, 2012, 10:00:14 AM2/27/12
On Feb 26, 11:29 pm, John Reiher <kedam...@mac.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a story I had read a few years ago that dealt with
> advanced alien civilizations out in the Oort Cloud.
>
> What I remember of the plot: Two astronomers are tracking a deep space
> satellite and it disappears. I think. they look and think they spot
> regularly shaped objects in the area of the disappearance. After some
> examination, they finally were able to image giant hexagons out at the
> edge of the solar system, making the scientist wonder when the new
> neighbors will come for a visit in system.
>
> The satellite bit may be wrong, but I'm looking for this story. Thanks
> in advance!

Maybe Robert L. Forward's _Camelot 30K_?

garabik-ne...@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk

Feb 27, 2012, 10:29:17 AM2/27/12
John Reiher <keda...@mac.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a story I had read a few years ago that dealt with
> advanced alien civilizations out in the Oort Cloud.
>
> What I remember of the plot: Two astronomers are tracking a deep space
> satellite and it disappears. I think. they look and think they spot
> regularly shaped objects in the area of the disappearance. After some
> examination, they finally were able to image giant hexagons out at the
> edge of the solar system, making the scientist wonder when the new
> neighbors will come for a visit in system.

Baxter's "Manifold: Space"?

| Radovan Garabík http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/ |
| __..--^^^--..__ garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk |

John Reiher

Feb 27, 2012, 11:33:56 AM2/27/12
Thanks, but it was a short story, not a novel. However, I'll take a
look at this one when I get the chance.

John Reiher

Feb 27, 2012, 11:34:24 AM2/27/12
On 2012-02-27 15:29:17 +0000,
garabik-ne...@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk said:

> John Reiher <keda...@mac.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a story I had read a few years ago that dealt with
>> advanced alien civilizations out in the Oort Cloud.
>>
>> What I remember of the plot: Two astronomers are tracking a deep space
>> satellite and it disappears. I think. they look and think they spot
>> regularly shaped objects in the area of the disappearance. After some
>> examination, they finally were able to image giant hexagons out at the
>> edge of the solar system, making the scientist wonder when the new
>> neighbors will come for a visit in system.
>>

> Baxter's "Manifold: Space"?

It wasn't this one either. Thanks for the suggestion!

Shawn Wilson

Feb 27, 2012, 1:13:03 PM2/27/12
On Feb 26, 9:29 pm, John Reiher <kedam...@mac.com> wrote:

> What I remember of the plot: Two astronomers are tracking a deep space
> satellite and it disappears. I think. they look and think they spot
> regularly shaped objects in the area of the disappearance. After some
> examination, they finally were able to image giant hexagons out at the
> edge of the solar system, making the scientist wonder when the new
> neighbors will come for a visit in system.

Yah know, this sounds a lot like a warped memory of Protector (Larry
Niven).

zzznot

Feb 27, 2012, 2:16:36 PM2/27/12
"Shawn Wilson" <ikono...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I don't recall any giant hexagons ... waitaminute, maybe the incoming
Pak fleet? OK, could be. But it is warped, the ARM watch Brennan
disappear into the Oort, but it's Brennan who (a generation later)
sees the incoming fleet, incoming from 30,000 light years away.

J.

Shawn Wilson

Feb 27, 2012, 3:11:03 PM2/27/12
On Feb 27, 12:16 pm, "zzznot" <zzz...@invalid.net> wrote:

> >> What I remember of the plot: Two astronomers are tracking a deep space
> >> satellite and it disappears. I think. they look and think they spot
> >> regularly shaped objects in the area of the disappearance. After some
> >> examination, they finally were able to image giant hexagons out at the
> >> edge of the solar system, making the scientist wonder when the new
> >> neighbors will come for a visit in system.
>
> >Yah know, this sounds a lot like a warped memory of Protector (Larry
> >Niven).
>
> I don't recall any giant hexagons ... waitaminute, maybe the incoming
> Pak fleet?  OK, could be.  But it is warped, the ARM watch Brennan
> disappear into the Oort, but it's Brennan who (a generation later)
> sees the incoming fleet, incoming from 30,000 light years away.

As I said, warped, but we have a distant array of hexagons, two people
looking for a deep space object that disappeared, wondering when the
visitors will arrive

Sjouke Burry

Feb 27, 2012, 5:52:10 PM2/27/12
"zzznot" <zzz...@invalid.net> wrote in news:jigkqo$9q0$1...@dont-email.me:

> "Shawn Wilson" <ikono...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Nah. Brennan detected the fusion radiation from buschard ramjets.
(I hope I spelled that right...)

David Goldfarb

Feb 27, 2012, 10:06:58 PM2/27/12
In article <XnsA006F2CBC9360sj...@213.75.12.10>,
Sjouke Burry <s@b> wrote:
>Nah. Brennan detected the fusion radiation from buschard ramjets.
>(I hope I spelled that right...)

Bussard -- two esses, capital B.

--
David Goldfarb | "LUM-ber. *heh!* *heh!*"
goldf...@gmail.com |

Helmut_Meukel

Feb 28, 2012, 11:42:31 AM2/28/12
David Goldfarb wrote:
> In article <XnsA006F2CBC9360sj...@213.75.12.10>,
> Sjouke Burry <s@b> wrote:
>> Nah. Brennan detected the fusion radiation from buschard ramjets.
>> (I hope I spelled that right...)
>
> Bussard -- two esses, capital B.

It's named for Robert W. Bussard, not the bird of prey as I thought.
(Bussard is the german word for buzzard, both from french busard)

Helmut.

Robert Carnegie

Feb 28, 2012, 1:53:33 PM2/28/12
On Feb 28, 3:06 am, goldf...@ocf.berkeley.edu (David Goldfarb) wrote:
> In article <XnsA006F2CBC9360sjoukeburrysoeste...@213.75.12.10>,
> Sjouke Burry  <s@b> wrote:
>
> >Nah. Brennan detected the fusion radiation from buschard ramjets.
> >(I hope I spelled that right...)
>
> Bussard -- two esses, capital B.

IIRC they probably don't work in real life anyway...

David Dyer-Bennet

Feb 28, 2012, 2:12:15 PM2/28/12
Probably not, but that doesn't seem terribly relevant to the importance
of spelling it right.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

JRStern

Feb 28, 2012, 2:35:12 PM2/28/12
On 27 Feb 2012 22:52:10 GMT, Sjouke Burry <s@b> wrote:

>> I don't recall any giant hexagons ... waitaminute, maybe the incoming
>> Pak fleet? OK, could be. But it is warped, the ARM watch Brennan
>> disappear into the Oort, but it's Brennan who (a generation later)
>> sees the incoming fleet, incoming from 30,000 light years away.
>
>Nah. Brennan detected the fusion radiation from buschard ramjets.
>(I hope I spelled that right...)

And once spotted, hexagonal patterns thereof.

J.

Robert Carnegie

Feb 28, 2012, 4:37:42 PM2/28/12
On Feb 28, 7:12 pm, David Dyer-Bennet <d...@dd-b.net> wrote:
> Robert Carnegie <rja.carne...@excite.com> writes:
> > On Feb 28, 3:06 am, goldf...@ocf.berkeley.edu (David Goldfarb) wrote:

> >> Bussard -- two esses, capital B.
>
> > IIRC they probably don't work in real life anyway...
>
> Probably not, but that doesn't seem terribly relevant to the importance
> of spelling it right.

Well... if they don't work, then you won't be shopping for one.

...wow. Google auto-corrects anyway. "Showing results for bussard
ramjet, ya censored flatlander. You know they don't work in real life
anyway, right?"

Was anyone else wondering whether the new Google privacy policy is the
secret last step to full sapience?

And, now?

Gene Wirchenko

Mar 4, 2012, 2:38:45 AM3/4/12
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:12:15 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net>
wrote:

>Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> writes:
>
>> On Feb 28, 3:06 am, goldf...@ocf.berkeley.edu (David Goldfarb) wrote:

>>> Bussard -- two esses, capital B.
>>
>> IIRC they probably don't work in real life anyway...
>
>Probably not, but that doesn't seem terribly relevant to the importance
>of spelling it right.

And understanding what the old buzzard devised, right?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko