_Homeland_ by Cory Doctorow

Lynn McGuire

Apr 24, 2017, 3:56:25 PM4/24/17
_Homeland_ by Cory Doctorow
https://www.amazon.com/Homeland-Cory-Doctorow/dp/0765333708/

Book number two of a two book dystopian near future series. I don't
have a clue if there will be a third book in the series and I don't know
if I will read it if so. I read the trade paperback which used nice
paper and a good font for my old eyes.

Things are going to heck in a hand basket in near future San Fransisco
as the number of employed people is steadily dropping. Marcus has
dropped out of college and is desperately looking for a job. And people
are looking for Marcus. I could not tell when the book is set other
than the near future (it was published in 2013).

There is a huge backstory going in the book about the high cost of
college education in the USA and some apparent usury going on in student
loan fees. I have no idea about the student loan usury. And yes,
college has gotten very expensive in the USA.

There is a public domain version of the book at:
http://craphound.com/homeland/download/

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (126 reviews)

Lynn

Scott Lurndal

Apr 25, 2017, 10:40:06 AM4/25/17
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> writes:

>There is a huge backstory going in the book about the high cost of
>college education in the USA and some apparent usury going on in student
>loan fees. I have no idea about the student loan usury.

Oh, yes, indeed. One can get a 30 year mortgage for circa 3%, but
a student loan will cost over twice that, if not more. And the T&C
are much more onerous.

William Hyde

Apr 25, 2017, 3:25:42 PM4/25/17
On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 3:56:25 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
And yes,
> college has gotten very expensive in the USA.

Assuming that my only income was my salary:

When I was a research scientist at Texas A&M I could have (barely) afforded to pay tuition for a kid there. Though I was paid more at Duke, I couldn't possibly have afforded the fees.

The groundskeepers at Duke made, before all deductions, less than 60% of the fees. Though the fees were smaller at A&M, the proportion was about the same.

William Hyde

Default User

Apr 25, 2017, 4:54:43 PM4/25/17
When was this?

When I was a pup going to college in the mid 70s, it was pretty easy to fund yourself at a public university with a part-time or summer work. When I started in 1975, the tuition was $300/semester. I don't recall what fees were at the time. The minimum wage then was $2.10.

These days, the average tuition and fees in Missouri is over $4000/semester. So we're looking at least ten times as much. Minimum wage is now like $7.65. Not even 4X the 70s level.

Brian

hamis...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2017, 7:40:20 PM4/25/17
That's not a particularly reasonable comparison because a mortgage is a secured loan.
You don't make the payments they can take your house.

Here in Australia a mortgage is currently high 3 or low 4% but a personal loan is probably going to be around 12%

Stephen Graham

Apr 25, 2017, 7:46:33 PM4/25/17
On 4/25/2017 1:54 PM, Default User wrote:

> These days, the average tuition and fees in Missouri is over $4000/semester. So we're looking at least ten times as much. Minimum wage is now like $7.65. Not even 4X the 70s level.

The key change is how much the state subsidizes in-state tuition.

Carl Fink

Apr 26, 2017, 9:07:56 AM4/26/17
On 2017-04-25, Default User <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> These days, the average tuition and fees in Missouri is over
> $4000/semester. So we're looking at least ten times as much. Minimum
> wage is now like $7.65. Not even 4X the 70s level.

Here in New York, shortly: zero (for undergraduates).
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Apr 26, 2017, 4:52:57 PM4/26/17
To a large extent, but not exclusively. I don't have data for what private institutions cost back then and now, but most of the information seems to be that tuition increases have outstripped inflation pretty handily.

Brian

William Hyde

May 1, 2017, 11:05:38 PM5/1/17
On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 4:54:43 PM UTC-4, Default User wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 2:25:42 PM UTC-5, William Hyde wrote:
> > On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 3:56:25 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > And yes,
> > > college has gotten very expensive in the USA.
> >
> > Assuming that my only income was my salary:
> >
> > When I was a research scientist at Texas A&M I could have (barely) afforded to pay tuition for a kid there. Though I was paid more at Duke, I couldn't possibly have afforded the fees.
> >
> > The groundskeepers at Duke made, before all deductions, less than 60% of the fees. Though the fees were smaller at A&M, the proportion was about the same.
>
> When was this?

Circa 2000.

Duke paid its workers more than minimum wage. I can't imagine that A&M paid anything more than the legal minimum.

William Hyde