[Twelve by Diana Wynne Jones] Howl's Moving Castle (Howl, book 1) by Diana Wynne Jones

James Nicoll

Jan 5, 2018, 10:32:22 AM1/5/18
Howl's Moving Castle (Howl, book 1) by Diana Wynne Jones

http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cut-you-like-the-tiny-slivers-of-glass

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jan 5, 2018, 11:16:27 AM1/5/18
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in

> Howl's Moving Castle (Howl, book 1) by Diana Wynne Jones
>
> http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cut-you-like-the-tiny-slivers-
> of-glass

A very different (and, INO, better, though I liked both) story than
Miyazaki's movie adaptation.
--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 5, 2018, 5:30:09 PM1/5/18
In article <XnsA8615428E14...@69.16.179.43>,
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in
>
>> Howl's Moving Castle (Howl, book 1) by Diana Wynne Jones
>>
>> http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cut-you-like-the-tiny-slivers-
>> of-glass
>
>A very different (and, INO, better, though I liked both) story than
>Miyazaki's movie adaptation.

Hear, hear. The book was about a not-too-standard War of Good
Against Evil. The movie's an anti-war polemic.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jan 5, 2018, 5:42:10 PM1/5/18
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in

> In article <XnsA8615428E14...@69.16.179.43>,
> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in
>>
>>> Howl's Moving Castle (Howl, book 1) by Diana Wynne Jones
>>>
>>> http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cut-you-like-the-tiny-sliver
>>> s- of-glass
>>
>>A very different (and, INO, better, though I liked both) story
>>than Miyazaki's movie adaptation.
>
> Hear, hear. The book was about a not-too-standard War of Good
> Against Evil.

I read it as more a coming of age story than anything else. The good
guys vs bad guys stuff was all secondary to that (to me, at any
rate).

> The movie's an anti-war polemic.

All of Miyazaki's work is. He does it well, but he's a one trick
pony. I guess he's had a lot of practice at telling us that War Is
Bad.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 5, 2018, 6:15:08 PM1/5/18
In article <XnsA861958E3E6...@69.16.179.43>,
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in
>
>> In article <XnsA8615428E14...@69.16.179.43>,
>> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in

>>>A very different (and, INO, better, though I liked both) story
>>>than Miyazaki's movie adaptation.
>>
>> Hear, hear. The book was about a not-too-standard War of Good
>> Against Evil.
>
>I read it as more a coming of age story than anything else. The good
>guys vs bad guys stuff was all secondary to that (to me, at any
>rate).
>
>> The movie's an anti-war polemic.
>>
>All of Miyazaki's work is. He does it well, but he's a one trick
>pony. I guess he's had a lot of practice at telling us that War Is
>Bad.

Well, he's Japanese, after all. Is he old enough to remember
WWII personally? I am just barely not (born 1942).

David Johnston

Jan 5, 2018, 6:23:43 PM1/5/18
He was born in 1941. I expect what he remembers is all that rubble
afterward.

J. Clarke

Jan 5, 2018, 6:36:00 PM1/5/18
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 22:56:27 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
wrote:
He was born in 1941, in Tokyo. He got bombed out at least twice, and
he was old enough to remember at least one of the times.

Lynn McGuire

Jan 5, 2018, 8:11:33 PM1/5/18
On 1/5/2018 9:32 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> Howl's Moving Castle (Howl, book 1) by Diana Wynne Jones
>
> http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cut-you-like-the-tiny-slivers-of-glass

Howl will forever be etched in my memory as one of Miles's clone's
alternate personalities.

Lynn

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jan 6, 2018, 2:59:33 AM1/6/18
On Fri, 05 Jan 2018 14:42:06 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
<taus...@gmail.com> wrote:

>djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in
>
>> The movie's an anti-war polemic.
>>
>All of Miyazaki's work is. He does it well, but he's a one trick
>pony. I guess he's had a lot of practice at telling us that War Is
>Bad.

Um. If you can find an anti-war polemic in "My Neighbor Totoro," or
"Kiki's Delivery Service," I'm impressed.

My latest novel is Tom Derringer in the Tunnels of Terror.
See http://www.watt-evans.com/TomDerringerintheTunnelsofTerror.shtml

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 7, 2018, 4:15:08 PM1/7/18
In article <p2p1dq$1kgs$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Good enough. I just wish somebody else, with a slightly
different Weltanshauung, had filmed this book.

larry

Jan 14, 2018, 7:11:48 AM1/14/18
On 2018-01-05, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> Howl's Moving Castle (Howl, book 1) by Diana Wynne Jones
>
> http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cut-you-like-the-tiny-slivers-of-glass

What are the titles of the rest of the Howl series?

--
After investigation, believe that which you have yourselves
tested and found reasonable, and which is for your good

Ahasuerus

Jan 14, 2018, 9:27:59 AM1/14/18
On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 7:11:48 AM UTC-5, larry wrote:
> On 2018-01-05, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> > Howl's Moving Castle (Howl, book 1) by Diana Wynne Jones
> >
> > http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cut-you-like-the-tiny-slivers-of-glass
>
> What are the titles of the rest of the Howl series?

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?3835

James Nicoll

Jan 14, 2018, 10:31:14 AM1/14/18
In article <p3fhe0$iqq$1...@dont-email.me>, larry <ljm...@wightman.ca> wrote:
>On 2018-01-05, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>> Howl's Moving Castle (Howl, book 1) by Diana Wynne Jones
>>
>> http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cut-you-like-the-tiny-slivers-of-glass
>
>What are the titles of the rest of the Howl series?

From isfdb:

1 Howl's Moving Castle (1986) also appeared as:
2 Castle in the Air (1990)
3 House of Many Ways (2008)

Robert Woodward

Jan 14, 2018, 12:48:36 PM1/14/18
In article <p3ft3v$3gc$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> In article <p3fhe0$iqq$1...@dont-email.me>, larry <ljm...@wightman.ca> wrote:
> >On 2018-01-05, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> >> Howl's Moving Castle (Howl, book 1) by Diana Wynne Jones
> >>
> >> http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cut-you-like-the-tiny-slivers-of-glass
> >
> >What are the titles of the rest of the Howl series?
> >

> From isfdb:
>
> 1 Howl's Moving Castle (1986) also appeared as:
> 2 Castle in the Air (1990)
> 3 House of Many Ways (2008)

From the description I found of them, it appears that the main
characters in the first title are merely minor characters in the other
two.

ã-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robe...@drizzle.com

Default User

Jan 14, 2018, 6:18:34 PM1/14/18
On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 11:48:36 AM UTC-6, Robert Woodward wrote:

> > 1 Howl's Moving Castle (1986) also appeared as:
> > 2 Castle in the Air (1990)
> > 3 House of Many Ways (2008)
>
> From the description I found of them, it appears that the main
> characters in the first title are merely minor characters in the other
> two.

Certainly the case for the second. I don't recall if I read the third.

Brian

larry

Jan 15, 2018, 4:11:52 PM1/15/18
On 2018-01-14, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> In article <p3fhe0$iqq$1...@dont-email.me>, larry <ljm...@wightman.ca> wrote:
>>On 2018-01-05, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>>> Howl's Moving Castle (Howl, book 1) by Diana Wynne Jones
>>>
>>> http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cut-you-like-the-tiny-slivers-of-glass
>>
>>What are the titles of the rest of the Howl series?
>>

> From isfdb:
>
> 1 Howl's Moving Castle (1986) also appeared as:
> 2 Castle in the Air (1990)
> 3 House of Many Ways (2008)

Thanks. I have the second on my shelf. I have seen the animated
Howl's Moving Castle but haven't read it nor the
the third book. To be recitified.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Jan 15, 2018, 4:14:53 PM1/15/18
larry <ljm...@wightman.ca> wrote in

> On 2018-01-14, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>> In article <p3fhe0$iqq$1...@dont-email.me>, larry
>> <ljm...@wightman.ca> wrote:

>>>What are the titles of the rest of the Howl series?
>>>

>> From isfdb:
>>
>> 1 Howl's Moving Castle (1986) also appeared as:
>> 2 Castle in the Air (1990)
>> 3 House of Many Ways (2008)
>
> Thanks. I have the second on my shelf. I have seen the animated
> Howl's Moving Castle but haven't read it nor the
> the third book. To be recitified.

If you haven't read the first book, note that the movie is a
completely different story in every meaningful way.

larry

Jan 17, 2018, 6:33:24 PM1/17/18
On 2018-01-15, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> larry <ljm...@wightman.ca> wrote in
>
>> On 2018-01-14, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:

>>> From isfdb:
>>>
>>> 1 Howl's Moving Castle (1986) also appeared as:
>>> 2 Castle in the Air (1990)
>>> 3 House of Many Ways (2008)
>>
>> Thanks. I have the second on my shelf. I have seen the animated
>> Howl's Moving Castle but haven't read it nor the
>> the third book. To be recitified.
>>
> If you haven't read the first book, note that the movie is a
> completely different story in every meaningful way.

That is the general rule, unfortunately.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Jan 17, 2018, 7:00:36 PM1/17/18

> On 2018-01-15, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
> <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> larry <ljm...@wightman.ca> wrote in

>>> Thanks. I have the second on my shelf. I have seen the
>>> animated Howl's Moving Castle but haven't read it nor the
>>> the third book. To be recitified.
>>>
>> If you haven't read the first book, note that the movie is a
>> completely different story in every meaningful way.
>>

> That is the general rule, unfortunately.

Very true. The only recent exception at all has been The Expanse.