_Deceptions: A Cainsville Novel_ by Kelley Armstrong

Lynn McGuire

Apr 13, 2017, 2:17:56 PM4/13/17
_Deceptions: A Cainsville Novel_ by Kelley Armstrong

https://www.amazon.com/Deceptions-Cainsville-Novel-Kelley-Armstrong/dp/1101984295/

Book number 3 of a 5 book urban fantasy series. I read the very nicely
formatted trade paperback. I will buy and read the fourth book in the
series. I have no idea if there will be more books in the series.

We are very slowly moving along a path here. I am not sure where we are
going but, I am enjoying the journey.

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (152 reviews)

Lynn

Scott Lurndal

Apr 14, 2017, 8:40:42 AM4/14/17
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> writes:
>_Deceptions: A Cainsville Novel_ by Kelley Armstrong
>
>https://www.amazon.com/Deceptions-Cainsville-Novel-Kelley-Armstrong/dp/1101984295/
>
>Book number 3 of a 5 book urban fantasy series. I read the very nicely
>formatted trade paperback. I will buy and read the fourth book in the
>series. I have no idea if there will be more books in the series.
>
>We are very slowly moving along a path here. I am not sure where we are
>going but, I am enjoying the journey.

Maybe you could describe the path, just a bit? The above is somewhat
content-free.

I mean, really, who cares if it's a trade paperback? That's certainly
not the first, nor the second nor even the fourth consideration when I'm
looking for the next book to buy.

Lynn McGuire

Apr 14, 2017, 5:21:11 PM4/14/17
Please note that the marketing blurb at Big River is quite good and much
better than I could write. I would invite you to read that.

I care about the printed matter of the book. My eyes are getting worse
as I get closer to 60. And, I like nice paper.

Thanks,
Lynn

Robert Carnegie

Apr 15, 2017, 6:32:12 AM4/15/17
On Friday, 14 April 2017 22:21:11 UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 4/14/2017 7:40 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> > Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> writes:
> >> _Deceptions: A Cainsville Novel_ by Kelley Armstrong
> >>
> >> https://www.amazon.com/Deceptions-Cainsville-Novel-Kelley-Armstrong/dp/1101984295/
> >>
> >> Book number 3 of a 5 book urban fantasy series. I read the very nicely
> >> formatted trade paperback. I will buy and read the fourth book in the
> >> series. I have no idea if there will be more books in the series.
> >>
> >> We are very slowly moving along a path here. I am not sure where we are
> >> going but, I am enjoying the journey.
> >
> > Maybe you could describe the path, just a bit? The above is somewhat
> > content-free.
> >
> > I mean, really, who cares if it's a trade paperback? That's certainly
> > not the first, nor the second nor even the fourth consideration when I'm
> > looking for the next book to buy.
>
> Please note that the marketing blurb at Big River is quite good and much
> better than I could write. I would invite you to read that.

That a book lives up to its blurb can't be taken
as read. If this is a good one, then well done
to them.

A blurb can misrepresent a book to the extent
of making it seem to be "about" the character
who disappears permanently (in effect) on
page 50.

Greg Goss

Apr 15, 2017, 12:19:34 PM4/15/17
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:

>That a book lives up to its blurb can't be taken
>as read. If this is a good one, then well done
>to them.

I never saw Galaxy Quest on the big screen because the marketing
material made it seem silly to me.

Of course it was silly, but the marketing material failed to make the
point that that WAS the point.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 15, 2017, 1:05:12 PM4/15/17
In article <elevgj...@mid.individual.net>,
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:
>Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
>
>>That a book lives up to its blurb can't be taken
>>as read. If this is a good one, then well done
>>to them.
>
>I never saw Galaxy Quest on the big screen because the marketing
>material made it seem silly to me.
>
>Of course it was silly, but the marketing material failed to make the
>point that that WAS the point.

The original trailer for "The Incredibles" was very bad. I had to
convice a friend to go see it and it wasn't a silly movie about fat
superheroes.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 15, 2017, 1:28:26 PM4/15/17
On 15 Apr 2017 17:05:09 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
You people have odd ideas about what makes a trailer work for most
people. I understood right away what "Galaxy Quest" was doing, and I
loved the teaser trailer for "The Incredibles."

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 15, 2017, 4:19:18 PM4/15/17
In article <gvl4fc9k17dfaibkk...@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
Well, my point is that that teaser would have kept at least one
family from seeing the film had I not intervened. I, myself had
seen it anyway because I saw almost anything animated back then,
but that teaser had really lowered my expectations going in.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 15, 2017, 4:32:31 PM4/15/17
On 15 Apr 2017 20:19:13 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
And MY point is that the teaser told me that my sense of humor and
general sensibility aligned really well with the filmmakers', even
though that scene isn't in the movie. It may have turned away some
potential viewers, but I'm pretty sure it drew in at least as many.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 15, 2017, 4:42:22 PM4/15/17
In article <hn05fc56af55lek46...@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
OK, I accept that. Certainly the film did well and is now almost
universally accepted as a classic. I sure hope the sequel lives up
to it after the letdown of "Tomorrowland".

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 15, 2017, 5:38:17 PM4/15/17
On 15 Apr 2017 20:42:20 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
I did not see "Tomorrowland," and my reasoning may be relevant.

I loved the first trailer, and was looking forward to the film, but
apparently this was not the usual reaction, because the SECOND trailer
they released completely destroyed my interest -- it turned the focus
from the girl to George Clooney and ignored everything I'd found
appealing in the first trailer, demoting the movie from "I wanna see
it" to "I'll wait for word of mouth."

And the word of mouth was mostly negative, so I've never seen it.

Cryptoengineer

Apr 15, 2017, 11:13:50 PM4/15/17
Lawrence Watt-Evans <misencha...@gmail.com> wrote in
I enjoyed the film. Especially the firt 30 minutes or so.

I visited the New York World's Fair in several times in 1964-1965,
I was 6 or 7, and enjoyed the heck out of it. I could step
out my front door in Fresh Meadows, and see the 'pillar of light'
every night.

The early parts of the film was a nostalgia trip for me, and
the best representation of a positive future I'd seen in a very
long time.

pt

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 16, 2017, 1:57:55 AM4/16/17
In article <c745fcdrrljoai0tn...@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
I felt let down by the second trailer as well, but saw it anyway.
It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't very good. I would have loved to
see the movie the first trailer suggested..

J. Clarke

Apr 16, 2017, 6:13:20 AM4/16/17
In article <XnsA758EC58C9...@216.166.97.131>,
treif...@gmail.com says...
I must have been 11 or 12, only got to spend one day at the fair and only
saw the parts that my parents wanted to see so missed some of the "good
stuff", or so I felt at the time (don't press me for details--it was a long
time ago in an America far, far away).

Somewhere in the '60s we lost that future. I wish somebody would figure
out a way to bring it back.