Origins of the Retro-Hugos

Louann Miller

Apr 22, 2014, 11:15:25 AM4/22/14
What's the story here? How long have they been in business, and what are
the rules for them? Also what is the point, besides running up the
scoreboard for Heinlein?

Louann

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Apr 22, 2014, 8:13:39 PM4/22/14
Running up the scoreboard for Doc Smith. Or possibly Jack Williamson.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Kurt Busiek

Apr 22, 2014, 8:24:00 PM4/22/14
On 2014-04-23 00:13:39 +0000, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> said:

> On 4/22/14 11:15 AM, Louann Miller wrote:
>> What's the story here? How long have they been in business, and what are
>> the rules for them? Also what is the point, besides running up the
>> scoreboard for Heinlein?
>
> Running up the scoreboard for Doc Smith. Or possibly Jack Williamson.

For my part, I assume they're about the fun of fan-voted awards,
getting the chance to cover material that predated the inception of the
Hugos, rather than having decided to do it out of a desire to get
particular results. The doing of it is the point.

Here's what Wikipedia says:

"In the mid-1990s Retrospective Hugo Awards, or Retro Hugos, were
added. These awards are given by Worldcons held 50, 75, or 100 years
after a Worldcon where no Hugos had been awarded, which were the
conventions in 1939–41, 1946–52, and 1954, and are given for works that
would have been eligible in that year, by the same process as the
regular Hugos. Retro Hugos have only been given three times: in 1996,
2001, and 2004 for 50 years prior; the five Worldcons eligible in
1997–2000 and 2002 chose not to award them. The next opportunity will
be in 2014 for the year 1939, starting the 75-year cycle; Loncon 3 has
announced that it will in fact present Retro Hugos in 2014."

kdb
--
Visit http://www.busiek.com -- for all your Busiek needs!