The True Cause of Outages

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 11, 2016, 1:45:03 PM8/11/16
Squirrels and other critters.

And trees.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/08/11/cybersquirrel1_monitors_animal_attacks_on_technological_infrastructure.html

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at gmail dot com

Peter Trei

Aug 11, 2016, 2:05:03 PM8/11/16
On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 1:45:03 PM UTC-4, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> Squirrels and other critters.
>
> And trees.
>
> http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/08/11/cybersquirrel1_monitors_animal_attacks_on_technological_infrastructure.html

...and feral backhoes.

pt

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 11, 2016, 2:07:10 PM8/11/16
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in

> Squirrels and other critters.
>
> And trees.
>
> http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/08/11/cybersquirrel1
> _monitors_animal_attacks_on_technological_infrastructure.html

Indeed. Though Anaheim, California hates mylar baloons (which will
conduct electricity) even more. Disneyland sells them, you see,
filled with helium, and kids are bad at keeping hold. (They had one
single baloon come down in a substation and cause tens of thousands
of dollars worth of damage.)

--
Terry Austin

Tom "The Crap Man" Kratman is my bitch.

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 11, 2016, 2:07:56 PM8/11/16
Peter Trei <pete...@gmail.com> wrote in
And, of course, Obama's weather control machine (ice accumulating on
power lines is a major problem in some places, usually rural, and
filled with Republicans.)

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 11, 2016, 5:45:04 PM8/11/16
In article <XnsA661713CB57...@69.16.179.42>,
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Peter Trei <pete...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 1:45:03 PM UTC-4, Dorothy J
>> Heydt wrote:
>>> Squirrels and other critters.
>>>
>>> And trees.
>>>
>>> http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/08/11/cybersquirrel
>>> 1_monitors_animal_attacks_on_technological_infrastructure.html
>>
>> ...and feral backhoes.
>>
>And, of course, Obama's weather control machine (ice accumulating on
>power lines is a major problem in some places, usually rural, and
>filled with Republicans.)

Yeah, of course. The weather is always Washington's fault.

Lynn McGuire

Aug 11, 2016, 7:11:42 PM8/11/16
On 8/11/2016 12:24 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> Squirrels and other critters.
>
> And trees.
>
> http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/08/11/cybersquirrel1_monitors_animal_attacks_on_technological_infrastructure.html

And snakes.

^And trees.^And falling trees.

Fixed that for you.

Lynn

Gary R. Schmidt

Aug 11, 2016, 11:54:06 PM8/11/16
On 12/08/2016 04:07, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in
>
>> Squirrels and other critters.
>>
>> And trees.
>>
>> http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/08/11/cybersquirrel1
>> _monitors_animal_attacks_on_technological_infrastructure.html
>>
> Indeed. Though Anaheim, California hates mylar baloons (which will
> conduct electricity) even more. Disneyland sells them, you see,
> filled with helium, and kids are bad at keeping hold. (They had one
> single baloon come down in a substation and cause tens of thousands
> of dollars worth of damage.)

Heh! We once took out a major power line in South Australia when a very
large kite (7.5m across and 12m long) broke its rope and wrapped the
remainder around the lines. BANG!!! It went!!!! :-)

Cheers,
Gary B-)

--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't really mean it.

Steve Coltrin

Aug 12, 2016, 1:27:39 AM8/12/16
begin fnord
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:

> Squirrels and other critters.

Well, yeah. I was an undergraduate on a squirrel-infested campus,
and more than once in a typical year a squirrel would put more volts
across itself than was healthy for the place's infrastructure (not to
mention the squirrel).

Then there was the time the entire state lost network connectivity
when a gale knocked a tree through a wall, taking out an important
router.

--
Steve Coltrin spco...@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel

Mart van de Wege

Aug 12, 2016, 8:29:34 AM8/12/16
Reminds me of a joke from another newsgroup:

Q: What's the number one thing a sysadmin packs for his desert survival
kit?

A: A short length of fiber. You bury it in the ground and ten minutes
later a man on a backhoe will show up to help you out of the place.

Mart

--- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.

Peter Trei

Aug 12, 2016, 10:41:30 AM8/12/16
On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 11:54:06 PM UTC-4, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
> On 12/08/2016 04:07, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> > djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in
> >
> >> Squirrels and other critters.
> >>
> >> And trees.
> >>
> >> http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/08/11/cybersquirrel1
> >> _monitors_animal_attacks_on_technological_infrastructure.html
> >>
> > Indeed. Though Anaheim, California hates mylar baloons (which will
> > conduct electricity) even more. Disneyland sells them, you see,
> > filled with helium, and kids are bad at keeping hold. (They had one
> > single baloon come down in a substation and cause tens of thousands
> > of dollars worth of damage.)
> >
> Heh! We once took out a major power line in South Australia when a very
> large kite (7.5m across and 12m long) broke its rope and wrapped the
> remainder around the lines. BANG!!! It went!!!! :-)

America does it bigger and better :-)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/10/28/the-army-lost-control-of-a-giant-unmanned-surveillance-blimp/

pt

Michael F. Stemper

Aug 12, 2016, 4:15:36 PM8/12/16
On 2016-08-11 12:24, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> Squirrels and other critters.

My first job out of college was doing substation design for a
large IOU (investor-owned utility). At the time, there was a big
effort to install owl effigies in substations, in order to scare
off the squirrels. However, they're only a problem at low voltages.
By the time you get up to 69 kV, the phase-to-ground distance was
too large for them to readily bridge.

However, we did have one mammalian outage that owls wouldn't have
prevented. My employer was located in a rather cold region. Transformers
are fairly warm, because of the core and coil losses. One January, a
homeless person climbed the chain-link fence (topped with three strands
of barbed wire) and climbed up to the top of a 115-13.8 kV transformer.
On his way, he grabbed the top of one of the 115 kV bushings.[1]

Amazingly, he lived. As the story had it at the time, when he woke up in
the hospital, there was a long line of ambulance-chasers waiting to help
him sue us.

> And trees.

According to one of my professors, urine[2] released by a bird taking
off from its perch on one phase of a power line can bridge a gap of
meters and is highly conductive.

> http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/08/11/cybersquirrel1_monitors_animal_attacks_on_technological_infrastructure.html

[1] A "bushing" is something that allows a conductor to pass into the
interior of a piece of equipment. It's generally ceramic.
[2] He called it "birdine", because it combines urine and excrement,
but that doesn't appear to be a real word.

--
Michael F. Stemper
This email is to be read by its intended recipient only. Any other party

Quadibloc

Aug 12, 2016, 5:13:05 PM8/12/16
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 2:15:36 PM UTC-6, Michael F. Stemper wrote:

> However, we did have one mammalian outage that owls wouldn't have
> prevented. My employer was located in a rather cold region. Transformers
> are fairly warm, because of the core and coil losses. One January, a
> homeless person climbed the chain-link fence (topped with three strands
> of barbed wire) and climbed up to the top of a 115-13.8 kV transformer.
> On his way, he grabbed the top of one of the 115 kV bushings.[1]

> Amazingly, he lived. As the story had it at the time, when he woke up in
> the hospital, there was a long line of ambulance-chasers waiting to help
> him sue us.

Given the doctrine of the "attractive nuisance", I almost have to ask if he,
and one of them, were successful.

John Savard

Kevrob

Aug 12, 2016, 5:40:39 PM8/12/16
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 1:27:39 AM UTC-4, Steve Coltrin wrote:
> begin fnord
> djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:
>
> > Squirrels and other critters.
>
> Well, yeah. I was an undergraduate on a squirrel-infested campus,
> and more than once in a typical year a squirrel would put more volts
> across itself than was healthy for the place's infrastructure (not to
> mention the squirrel).

I used to listen to Patrick Crispin on his Wednesday night appearances
on WGN radio out of Chicago. He named his computer help page:

http://netsquirrel.com/

...in honor of the rodents "who so routinely and bravely gave their
lives to disrupt power to the University of Alabama's mainframe computer
center."

> Then there was the time the entire state lost network connectivity
> when a gale knocked a tree through a wall, taking out an important
> router.
>
> --

Kevin R

Kevrob

Aug 12, 2016, 5:42:31 PM8/12/16
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 4:15:36 PM UTC-4, Michael F. Stemper wrote:

> [2] He called it "birdine", because it combines urine and excrement,
> but that doesn't appear to be a real word.

It was a department store, sorta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burdines

Kevin R

Lynn McGuire

Aug 12, 2016, 5:50:24 PM8/12/16
On 8/12/2016 3:15 PM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 2016-08-11 12:24, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> Squirrels and other critters.
>
> My first job out of college was doing substation design for a
> large IOU (investor-owned utility). At the time, there was a big
> effort to install owl effigies in substations, in order to scare
> off the squirrels. However, they're only a problem at low voltages.
> By the time you get up to 69 kV, the phase-to-ground distance was
> too large for them to readily bridge.
>
> However, we did have one mammalian outage that owls wouldn't have
> prevented. My employer was located in a rather cold region. Transformers
> are fairly warm, because of the core and coil losses. One January, a
> homeless person climbed the chain-link fence (topped with three strands
> of barbed wire) and climbed up to the top of a 115-13.8 kV transformer.
> On his way, he grabbed the top of one of the 115 kV bushings.[1]
>
> Amazingly, he lived. As the story had it at the time, when he woke up in
> the hospital, there was a long line of ambulance-chasers waiting to help
> him sue us.

We had a lineman who was on large trailer where we had built a temporary 69 KV to 138 KV transformer. Somebody screwed up and
energized one of the lines. He was physically blown off the trailer, leaving his boots behind. The other linemen performed CPR on
him and got his heart restarted. The only burns that he had were the souls of his feet and his leg where the keys in his pocket
were. Not sure how long he was off work.

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Aug 12, 2016, 5:51:12 PM8/12/16
^souls^soles

Lynn

Peter Trei

Aug 12, 2016, 5:57:45 PM8/12/16
It also made me think of a similar word 'birdlime'. It's not impossible that
someone not familiar with the correct meaning might apply it to bird droppings.

[Today, I had to wade through a flock of Canadian Geese to get from parking to
my office. Icky boids.]

pt

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 12, 2016, 6:39:58 PM8/12/16
Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote in
I'm not sure he'd make the distinction, after that experience.

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 12, 2016, 7:00:04 PM8/12/16
In article <nolap6$gto$1...@dont-email.me>,
And to be distinguished from birdlime, which is something sticky
that you put down to trap birds with.

Tom Kratman

Aug 12, 2016, 9:49:56 PM8/12/16
Terry’s lost his mind,
Morally and mentally dumb and blind.
He can’t walk at all
Outside of his wheelchair he would fall.
Poor little pee pee’s dead.
A mindless rage consumes his head.
Girls just point and laugh.
After all poor Terrie needs a bath.

William December Starr

Aug 12, 2016, 10:48:47 PM8/12/16
In article <a9c4de91-7915-48bf...@googlegroups.com>,
Peter Trei <pete...@gmail.com> said:

> Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Heh! We once took out a major power line in South Australia when
>> a very large kite (7.5m across and 12m long) broke its rope and
>> wrapped the remainder around the lines. BANG!!! It went!!!!
>> :-)
>
> America does it bigger and better :-)
>
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/10/28/the-army-lost-control-of-a-giant-unmanned-surveillance-blimp/

Not quite the same thing, but from October 2002 we have:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2367313.stm

Army chiefs are asking citizens to keep an eye out for an
inflatable tank which was blown away in the strong gales
which battered the UK over the weekend...

-- wds

Greg Goss

Aug 13, 2016, 12:15:04 AM8/13/16
Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote:

>We had a lineman who was on large trailer where we had built a temporary 69 KV to 138 KV transformer. Somebody screwed up and
>energized one of the lines. He was physically blown off the trailer, leaving his boots behind. The other linemen performed CPR on
>him and got his heart restarted. The only burns that he had were the souls of his feet and his leg where the keys in his pocket
>were. Not sure how long he was off work.

I used to live in a town where the main employer would refine zinc by
electroplating it out of solution. The LEFTOVER power from the
smelter was sold to about a third of a very large province.

A friend was working on a piece of high voltage, high current
equipment when something went wrong with the lockout procedures. He
woke up in the ambulance on his way to the E-ward.

He felt normal, but the company's doctors insisted that he spend three
days in the hospital with very many wires, just in case his heart
changed its mind on "normal".

A month later, we noticed a kink in his hair that gradually grew out
as a week spot where hair would easily break.. So it looks like a
heavy jolt won't curl your hair, but will affect the follicles.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 13, 2016, 1:06:50 AM8/13/16

Terry Austin

Joy Beeson

Aug 13, 2016, 8:29:36 PM8/13/16
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 22:15:00 -0600, Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

> A month later, we noticed a kink in his hair that gradually grew out
> as a week spot where hair would easily break.. So it looks like a
> heavy jolt won't curl your hair, but will affect the follicles.

I believe that any sort of sharp stress will make a weak spot in your
hair. I read somewhere that wool farmers shear their ewes just before
they deliver their lambs, so that the weak spot from lambing won't get
into the product.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Tom Kratman

Aug 14, 2016, 1:52:06 PM8/14/16
Totally surrendered then, have you, pussy lips?

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 14, 2016, 2:27:49 PM8/14/16

Gary R. Schmidt

Aug 15, 2016, 12:44:07 AM8/15/16
Of course, if you want to screw it up bigger and better, just get the
military, *any* military to do it!

Scott Lurndal

Aug 15, 2016, 8:55:33 AM8/15/16
"Michael F. Stemper" <michael...@gmail.com> writes:
>On 2016-08-11 12:24, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> Squirrels and other critters.

>However, we did have one mammalian outage that owls wouldn't have
>prevented. My employer was located in a rather cold region. Transformers
>are fairly warm, because of the core and coil losses. One January, a
>homeless person climbed the chain-link fence (topped with three strands
>of barbed wire) and climbed up to the top of a 115-13.8 kV transformer.
>On his way, he grabbed the top of one of the 115 kV bushings.[1]
>
>Amazingly, he lived. As the story had it at the time, when he woke up in
>the hospital, there was a long line of ambulance-chasers waiting to help
>him sue us.

Then there was Arthur Hailey's _Overload_, where accidental contact
to an HV line effectively emasculated the linesman.

David DeLaney

Aug 15, 2016, 12:31:29 PM8/15/16
On 2016-08-14, Tom Kratman <tomkr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
>> --
>> Terry Austin
>>
>> "Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole."
>> -- David Bilek
>>
>> Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
>
> Totally surrendered then, have you, [...]

... you realize, do you not, that he's getting a REAL charge out of you
responding to posts he makes that _literally_ have no content at all? And that
having you do so repeatedly is icing his cake in ways I don't feel comfortable
in explaining while Dorothy is around?

This is his hook. There is no worm on it. You are still bi-ting. Sorry I could
not fit that all in words of one syl-la-ble.

Dave, and he's gonna get raised to the next level when this full and detailed
explanation STILL doesn't stop you from doing it
http://gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd/ -net.legends/Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 15, 2016, 4:31:06 PM8/15/16
David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote in

> On 2016-08-14, Tom Kratman <tomkr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
>>> --
>>> Terry Austin
>>>
>>> "Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more
>>> asshole."
>>> -- David Bilek
>>>
>>> Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
>>
>> Totally surrendered then, have you, [...]
>
> ... you realize, do you not,

He does not. He's too busy "teaching me a lesson."

> that he's getting a REAL charge out
> of you responding to posts he makes that _literally_ have no
> content at all? And that having you do so repeatedly is icing
> his cake in ways I don't feel comfortable in explaining while
> Dorothy is around?

It's nearly sexual, him arguing with what is indistinguishbale from
a misconfigured 'bot.

> This is his hook. There is no worm on it. You are still bi-ting.
> Sorry I could not fit that all in words of one syl-la-ble.

Since Little Tommy can't count to one, that's still too
complicated.

> Dave, and he's gonna get raised to the next level when this full
> and detailed
> explanation STILL doesn't stop you from doing it

Yep.

William December Starr

Aug 15, 2016, 7:17:49 PM8/15/16
In article <A8KdnYx7g_zEcyzK...@earthlink.com>,
David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> said:

[ addressing Tom Kratman, re Terry Austin ]

> ... you realize, do you not, that he's getting a REAL charge out
> of you responding to posts he makes that _literally_ have no
> content at all? And that having you do so repeatedly is icing his
> cake in ways I don't feel comfortable in explaining while Dorothy
> is around?
>
> This is his hook. There is no worm on it. You are still
> bi-ting. Sorry I could not fit that all in words of one
> syl-la-ble.
>
> Dave, and he's gonna get raised to the next level when this full
> and detailed explanation STILL doesn't stop you from doing it

There's a next level?

-- wds

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 16, 2016, 12:26:50 AM8/16/16
wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote in news:notiir$s7q$1
@panix3.panix.com:
There's _always_ a next level.

Michael F. Stemper

Aug 16, 2016, 11:01:57 AM8/16/16
On 2016-08-15 23:26, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote in news:notiir$s7q$1
> @panix3.panix.com:>
>> In article <A8KdnYx7g_zEcyzK...@earthlink.com>,
>> David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> said:

>>> This is his hook. There is no worm on it. You are still
>>> bi-ting. Sorry I could not fit that all in words of one
>>> syl-la-ble.
>>>
>>> Dave, and he's gonna get raised to the next level when this full
>>> and detailed explanation STILL doesn't stop you from doing it
>>
>> There's a next level?
>
> There's _always_ a next level.

Turtles all the way up, right?

--
Michael F. Stemper
This post contains greater than 95% post-consumer bytes by weight.

Dimensional Traveler

Aug 16, 2016, 1:50:03 PM8/16/16
On 8/16/2016 8:01 AM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 2016-08-15 23:26, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
>> wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote in news:notiir$s7q$1
>> @panix3.panix.com:>

>>> There's a next level?
>>
>> There's _always_ a next level.
>
> Turtles all the way up, right?

Up, down, right, left, its all relative.

--
Running the rec.arts.TV Channels Watched Survey for Summer 2016

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 16, 2016, 2:07:15 PM8/16/16
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
You have turtles as relatives? Some of your ancestors were kinky. So
were the turtles.

--
Terry Austin

Tom "The Crap Man" Kratman is my bitch.

Don Bruder

Aug 16, 2016, 2:52:01 PM8/16/16
In article <novjo8$b0k$1...@dont-email.me>,
Yeah, but whose relative? And do reasonable folks admit to the
relationship?

--
Brought to you by the letter K and the number .357
Security provided by Horace S. & Dan W.

David DeLaney

Aug 16, 2016, 3:05:56 PM8/16/16
Trust me when I say that you do NOT want to know, and remind you that some
things, once seen, cannot be unseen, nor can they be scrubbed away with any
finite application of BrainBleach(tm)(R)(yikes).

Dave, I find it peculiarly alarming that so MANY people don't believe me when
I tell them they don't want to know
website on VIC is down, probably for good - oh well/ I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 16, 2016, 4:21:12 PM8/16/16

> Dave, I find it peculiarly alarming that so MANY people don't
> believe me when
> I tell them they don't want to know

As the resident expert in coercing people into doing things they will
deeply regret for the rest of their lives, I do feel obligated to
point out that telling them they will deeply regret something for the
rest of their lives is one of the most effective ways of coercing
them into doing it.

Feigning that you don't understand that, of course, only reinforces
the effect.

But you knew that, didn't you?

--
Terry Austin

Tom "The Crap Man" Kratman is my bitch.

Kevrob

Aug 16, 2016, 4:33:28 PM8/16/16
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 2:07:15 PM UTC-4, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in

> >> Turtles all the way up, right?
> >>
> > Up, down, right, left, its all relative.
> >
> You have turtles as relatives? Some of your ancestors were kinky. So
> were the turtles.

But were they "Happy Together?"

Kevin R

Titus G

Aug 17, 2016, 12:32:34 AM8/17/16
To be frank, it was being zapped by electricity that made the hair
kinky, rather than togetherness happiness.

Kevrob

Aug 17, 2016, 1:30:31 AM8/17/16
Ya gotta watch out for that current, what with all its
flows and eddies.

Kevin R

Gary R. Schmidt

Aug 17, 2016, 9:59:09 AM8/17/16
And watch out where the Huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow.

David DeLaney

Aug 17, 2016, 2:55:44 PM8/17/16
On 2016-08-16, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote in
>> Dave, I find it peculiarly alarming that so MANY people don't
>> believe me when I tell them they don't want to know
>
> As the resident expert in coercing people into doing things they will
> deeply regret for the rest of their lives, I do feel obligated to
> point out that telling them they will deeply regret something for the
> rest of their lives is one of the most effective ways of coercing
> them into doing it.
>
> Feigning that you don't understand that, of course, only reinforces
> the effect.

I didn't say I didn't _understand_ it. I just private-mentally find it
alarming to a peculiar degree. The reaction itself, as you point out, is
not at all peculiar.

> But you knew that, didn't you?

I think I did, therefore I think I can say I did.

Dave, will observe with raised eyebrow for food

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 17, 2016, 5:39:24 PM8/17/16

> On 2016-08-16, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
> <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote in
>>> Dave, I find it peculiarly alarming that so MANY people don't
>>> believe me when I tell them they don't want to know
>>
>> As the resident expert in coercing people into doing things
>> they will deeply regret for the rest of their lives, I do feel
>> obligated to point out that telling them they will deeply
>> regret something for the rest of their lives is one of the most
>> effective ways of coercing them into doing it.
>>
>> Feigning that you don't understand that, of course, only
>> reinforces the effect.
>
> I didn't say I didn't _understand_ it. I just private-mentally
> find it alarming to a peculiar degree.

That says more about you and what alarms you than it does about how
weak and stupid people are.

> The reaction itself, as
> you point out, is not at all peculiar.
>
>> But you knew that, didn't you?
>
> I think I did, therefore I think I can say I did.

Whether or not you did know it is not in any way connected with
whether or not you can *say* you did. This is the internet, you
know, where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI
agents.

> Dave, will observe with raised eyebrow for food

How does that work out for you?

David DeLaney

Aug 18, 2016, 11:50:46 PM8/18/16
On 2016-08-17, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote in
>> Dave, will observe with raised eyebrow for food
>
> How does that work out for you?

Iiiit doesn't get me very much food.

Dave

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 19, 2016, 12:38:29 AM8/19/16

> On 2016-08-17, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
> <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote in
>>> Dave, will observe with raised eyebrow for food
>>
>> How does that work out for you?
>
> Iiiit doesn't get me very much food.

I am shocked and amazed, I tell you. *Shocked*. And *amazed*.

What *is* the world coming to!

--
Terry Austin

Quadibloc

Aug 20, 2016, 1:28:48 PM8/20/16
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 10:31:29 AM UTC-6, David DeLaney wrote:

> This is his hook. There is no worm on it. You are still bi-ting. Sorry I could
> not fit that all in words of one syl-la-ble.

Two people are insulting each other.

Neither one is quite willing yet to let the other have the last word.

I find it hard to see how who is whose bitch is even possible to debate.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Aug 20, 2016, 1:29:59 PM8/20/16
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 9:01:57 AM UTC-6, Michael F. Stemper wrote:

> Turtles all the way up, right?

I'm playing Hook-a-Duck right now to get my Hunter up to level 90, so I can hunt Tortles on Whale's Maw.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Aug 20, 2016, 1:33:00 PM8/20/16

Quadibloc

Aug 20, 2016, 1:34:53 PM8/20/16
On Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 9:50:46 PM UTC-6, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2016-08-17, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote in
> >> Dave, will observe with raised eyebrow for food

> > How does that work out for you?

> Iiiit doesn't get me very much food.

It doesn't help that Vulcans are vegetarians.

John Savard

Michael F. Stemper

Aug 20, 2016, 1:49:22 PM8/20/16
That was his point, yes.

--
Michael F. Stemper
This sentence no verb.

Michael F. Stemper

Aug 20, 2016, 1:52:24 PM8/20/16
Better that than humanitarians.

--
Michael F. Stemper
"Telephone for Mr. Knight. Mr. Damon Knight, please pick up the white

Don Bruder

Aug 20, 2016, 2:40:20 PM8/20/16
In article <067a3964-7f78-479e...@googlegroups.com>,
Thank you, Captain Obvious...

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 20, 2016, 5:19:02 PM8/20/16
Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in
That says rather more about your eyesight than it does about either
of us.

Only of of us is having fun. The other is desperately trying to
figure out how to make the pain stop.

David DeLaney

Aug 20, 2016, 6:04:13 PM8/20/16
On 2016-08-20, Michael F. Stemper <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2016-08-20 12:34, Quadibloc wrote:

>>> Iiiit doesn't get me very much food.
>>
>> It doesn't help that Vulcans are vegetarians.
>
> Better that than humanitarians.

I'm told it's fine as long as you don't swallow.

Dave, change of topic: extrapolated Vulcan marital aids. discuss.

Tom Kratman

Aug 20, 2016, 6:58:28 PM8/20/16
It's a debt that rests very lightly, Terry, but it seems I owe you an apology.

Why? Well apparently, you _have_ had pussy. Here's the proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU6XTZ1vEoM

Rather, you had it until the vet pulled you out.

Tom Kratman

Aug 20, 2016, 8:38:51 PM8/20/16
On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 5:19:02 PM UTC-4, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
And there I thought we were _both_ having fun, Terry. Well, there's a way for you to get the pain to stop. Officers' Mess Anteroom desk; third drawer down on the right. Do lay out some redundant newspapers first though.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 20, 2016, 11:02:22 PM8/20/16

Quadibloc

Aug 21, 2016, 6:08:43 AM8/21/16
On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 12:40:20 PM UTC-6, Don Bruder wrote:

> Thank you, Captain Obvious...

My point was not to disclose to people what they already knew, but to make it
convenient for them to enjoy the music of which thy were reminded.

John Savard

Alie...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2016, 6:34:51 AM8/21/16
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 9:31:29 AM UTC-7, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2016-08-14, Tom Kratman <tomkr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> > Totally surrendered then, have you, [...]
>
> ... you realize, do you not, that he's getting a REAL charge out of you
> responding to posts he makes that _literally_ have no content at all? And that
> having you do so repeatedly is icing his cake in ways I don't feel comfortable
> in explaining while Dorothy is around?

Dorothy's a Big Girl. Go right ahead.

<troll>

Just don't use any of that newfangled computer lingo...

</troll>

> This is his hook. There is no worm on it. You are still bi-ting. Sorry I could
> not fit that all in words of one syl-la-ble.

I think we all realize that TKs lip piercing will never heal.

> Dave, and he's gonna get raised to the next level when this full and detailed
> explanation STILL doesn't stop you from doing it

Two ways to look at this:

1. Every time Terry "replies" to TK, he gives TK some "free advertising".

2. Every keystroke TK uses "replying" to Terry is a keystroke he didn't apply to a MS.

Mark L. Fergerson

Alie...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2016, 6:37:05 AM8/21/16
On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 10:45:03 AM UTC-7, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> Squirrels and other critters.
>
> And trees.
>
> http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/08/11/cybersquirrel1_monitors_animal_attacks_on_technological_infrastructure.html

Damned Squirrel Girl anyway. I always suspected she was really a supervillain-ess lulling the world into a false sense of security.

Mark L. Fergerson

Don Bruder

Aug 21, 2016, 12:23:54 PM8/21/16
In article <846e25b9-69a5-42e3...@googlegroups.com>,
<ponders aloud> I wonder how many people who had any actual interest in
hearing the song were unable to find it for themselves in under 30
seconds?

But then, the Poindexters of the world *ARE* generally renowned for
being utterly clueless in matters of social interaction, so perhaps I
shouldn't be surprised.

Tom Kratman

Aug 21, 2016, 1:43:11 PM8/21/16
Doesn't actually work that way. Mike Schilling (if you're still around and above ground, Mike, "Hi") figured it out some time ago; this is recreation to me, but, more than that, recreation that helps me to write more.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 21, 2016, 5:06:42 PM8/21/16

Tom Kratman

Sep 24, 2016, 2:13:54 PM9/24/16
Had Samuel Taylor Coleridge been doing opium while on Usenet

In Usenet-land did Terry Twat
A state of assholery decree;
And whereupon the eunuchs ran,
To bury heads all in the sand,
Rather than face Terry.
So twice five years of bull were found
With idiocy, quite profound.
And most, not knowing Terry wasn’t bright,
Nor that control was to make up for his luck,
Where he had failed at everything he’d tried
And been bent over deskward and butt fucked.

Kevrob

Sep 24, 2016, 6:08:43 PM9/24/16
On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 1:52:24 PM UTC-4, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 2016-08-20 12:34, Quadibloc wrote:

> >> Iiiit doesn't get me very much food.
> >
> > It doesn't help that Vulcans are vegetarians.
>
> Better that than humanitarians.

Now, should we be deporting vegans to the Vega system,
(damned illegal aliens!)

Kevin R

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Oct 1, 2016, 3:06:29 AM10/1/16