[Because My Tears Are Delicious To You] Rogue Queen by L. Sprague de Camp

James Nicoll

Jun 25, 2017, 9:01:12 AM6/25/17

Carl Fink

Jun 25, 2017, 3:38:14 PM6/25/17
On 2017-06-25, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> Rogue Queen by L. Sprague de Camp
>
> http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/love-is-our-resistance

I have to say, that is one terrible cover painting.
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Default User

Jun 25, 2017, 5:08:49 PM6/25/17
On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 8:01:12 AM UTC-5, James Nicoll wrote:
> Rogue Queen by L. Sprague de Camp

One of the Liaden short stories by Lee and Miller had a scout stranded on a primitive human world that was a matriarchy. The women would choose men for mates in a ceremony. The scout is getting prepared for his turn (you had go through it or get kicked out of the tribe) and the "married" men were hinting about the big secret that would be revealed to him, that would astound him. Of course he could guess that it was that men and women do something that produces babies.

Brian

Peter Trei

Jun 25, 2017, 8:46:21 PM6/25/17
On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 12:38:14 PM UTC-7, Carl Fink wrote:
> On 2017-06-25, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> > Rogue Queen by L. Sprague de Camp
> >
> > http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/love-is-our-resistance
>
> I have to say, that is one terrible cover painting.

At least that edition spells the title and author right. I have one where
the cover says it's by 'L Spraque De Camp', and the spine titles it
'Rouge Queen'.

Pt

James Nicoll

Jun 26, 2017, 10:23:25 AM6/26/17
In article <oioc6i$d6b$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>Rogue Queen by L. Sprague de Camp
>
>http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/love-is-our-resistance

I verified with James Cambias that yes, de Camp limited himself to systems
within about 12 LY of Sol and not all of the usual suspects for SF of this
vintage. Note the absence of Epsilon Indi and Sirius; Sirius might have been
rejected due to its mass and subsequent short life but I think de Camp was
skeptical that multiple star systems could host habitable planets because
neither 61 Cygni and Alpha Centauri are said to have habitable planets.

Given the fact we now know of a number of nearby systems with exoplanets
in the potentially habitable zone, it would be surprising if nobody was
writing stories set on them. Yet I do not know of any [1]. Have I overlooked
something?

1: Baxter's Proxima predates the discovery Proxima b. He just got lucky.

David Johnston

Jun 26, 2017, 11:00:48 AM6/26/17
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 8:23:25 AM UTC-6, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <oioc6i$d6b$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
> James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> >Rogue Queen by L. Sprague de Camp
> >
> >http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/love-is-our-resistance
>
> I verified with James Cambias that yes, de Camp limited himself to systems
> within about 12 LY of Sol and not all of the usual suspects for SF of this
> vintage. Note the absence of Epsilon Indi and Sirius; Sirius might have been
> rejected due to its mass and subsequent short life but I think de Camp was
> skeptical that multiple star systems could host habitable planets because
> neither 61 Cygni and Alpha Centauri are said to have habitable planets.

Until fairly recently the idea that planets couldn't form in a multiple star system was widespread, although I have no idea why.

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 26, 2017, 11:16:37 AM6/26/17
Probably because we were operating from a data set of 1.

instinct are running screaming.

James Nicoll

Jun 26, 2017, 11:53:24 AM6/26/17
In article <oir89j$ib6$1...@dont-email.me>,
I think one issue may have been that planets would be perturbed out of the
habitable zone. Jupiter has managed to hang onto a nice set of moons,
even though some models suggest it was once closer to the Sun than it is
now.

http://www.pnas.org/content/112/14/4214

Say, I wonder what being at 1.5 AU did to Jupiter's existing moons?

David Johnston

Jun 26, 2017, 12:27:40 PM6/26/17
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 9:53:24 AM UTC-6, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <oir89j$ib6$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> >> Until fairly recently the idea that planets couldn't form in a
> >multiple star system was widespread, although I have no idea why.
> >>
> >Probably because we were operating from a data set of 1.
>
> I think one issue may have been that planets would be perturbed out of the
> habitable zone. Jupiter has managed to hang onto a nice set of moons,
> even though some models suggest it was once closer to the Sun than it is
> now.
>
> http://www.pnas.org/content/112/14/4214
>
> Say, I wonder what being at 1.5 AU did to Jupiter's existing moons?

Probably very little. It's quite a long distance after all, and I suppose it's the lack of intuitive understanding of the scale of space that leads to such ideas. Many binaries and trinaries are quite widely spaced, enough that there's little fear of significant gravitational influence being exerted as far in as the HZ.

James Nicoll

Jun 26, 2017, 1:25:35 PM6/26/17
In article <de2fc8df-0cfb-4082...@googlegroups.com>,
Sorry, I meant thermally.

Harri Tavaila

Jun 26, 2017, 4:30:48 PM6/26/17
I think the idea of multiple star system being problematic for planets
is not so much for lack of stable orbits (which were known to exist) as
for large number of unstable ones during the formation. It was assumed
that too little of the mass of the original nebula would remain in
location to form planets. I'm not sure how thorough such estimations
were (not thorough enough, obviously). Maybe we still lack sufficient
understanding in stellar system formation dynamics.

H Tavaila

John F. Eldredge

Aug 29, 2017, 7:33:08 PM8/29/17
On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:38:12 +0000, Carl Fink wrote:

> On 2017-06-25, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>> Rogue Queen by L. Sprague de Camp
>>
>> http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/love-is-our-resistance
>
> I have to say, that is one terrible cover painting.

I have, or used to have[*], a copy of the trade paper edition of Rogue
Queen that had the title "Rouge Queen" on the spine. Someone on the
proofreading team probably had to go into a different career over that
mistake.

[*] I had a house fire 15 years ago, and that book may have been one of
the ones destroyed in the fire. I know I haven't seen it in a long time.

Cryptoengineer

Aug 29, 2017, 8:14:05 PM8/29/17
"John F. Eldredge" <jo...@jfeldredge.com> wrote in news:f0mbtfFo946U5
@mid.individual.net:

> On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:38:12 +0000, Carl Fink wrote:
>
>> On 2017-06-25, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>>> Rogue Queen by L. Sprague de Camp
>>>
>>> http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/love-is-our-resistance
>>
>> I have to say, that is one terrible cover painting.
>
> I have, or used to have[*], a copy of the trade paper edition of Rogue
> Queen that had the title "Rouge Queen" on the spine. Someone on the
> proofreading team probably had to go into a different career over that
> mistake.

I have that edition. If you can find it, check the front cover. I think
you'll find the author is listed as 'L. Spraque de Camp'

pt

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Aug 30, 2017, 1:08:56 AM8/30/17
In article <f0mbtf...@mid.individual.net>,
Asmimov's _Lucky Starr and the Big Sun of Mercury_ managed to lose the word
'of' on one paperback edition.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Robert Carnegie

Aug 30, 2017, 3:51:34 AM8/30/17
In the first edition, the author's name was printed as "Paul French". ;-)

Kevrob

Aug 30, 2017, 10:42:15 AM8/30/17
Was it traded for an extra "m"? :)

Kevin R

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Aug 30, 2017, 10:52:20 AM8/30/17
In article <a76c1b96-d8e7-4530...@googlegroups.com>,
Well as pointed out upthread, they also spelled his name *really* bad.

Anthony Nance

Aug 31, 2017, 8:58:07 AM8/31/17
That reminds me of McCaffrey's Get Off the Unicorn , which
was Get Of the Unicorn until the publisher misprinted it
(internally, before publishing but it stuck).

Tony

David Johnston

Aug 31, 2017, 11:22:20 AM8/31/17
Well Ganymede might end up with some equatorial liquid water.