Magic Fiction

alal...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2017, 6:48:29 PM10/15/17
I haven't read a good work of magic fiction in a long time, perhaps not in this century. To me, the golden age of MF was in the 1980s. Although a lot of MF movies have been released, some based on books. I recently enjoyed WarCraft, which IIRC was based on a video game. IMHO we need strong leadership to restore the magic of MF.

Abhinav Lal
Prisoner & Slave

Lynn McGuire

Oct 16, 2017, 2:00:15 AM10/16/17
Sigh, I'll bite. Dude, are you living in a box ? Since 2000, we have
had MANY great magic series.
1. Jim Butcher
2. Kelley Armstrong
3. Kim Harrison
4. Kevin Hearne
5. Benedict Jacka
6. David B. Coe

And of course, there is my superb cousin, Seanan McGuire.

Stop using B&N for your new books. Everything is happening over on Amazon.

Lynn

Bill Gill

Oct 16, 2017, 9:04:46 AM10/16/17
Don't forget Ben AAronovitch.

Bill

Lynn McGuire

Oct 16, 2017, 1:44:51 PM10/16/17
Huh, new to me. I did forget the pinnacle work of Jo Walton which still
moves me for some weird reason.
https://www.amazon.com/Among-Others-Hugo-Award-Winner/dp/0765331721/

Lynn

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Oct 16, 2017, 3:08:48 PM10/16/17
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 08:04:44 -0500, Bill Gill <bill...@cox.net> wrote:

>On 10/16/2017 1:00 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 10/15/2017 5:48 PM, alal...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I haven't read a good work of magic fiction in a long time, perhaps
>>> not in this century.  To me, the golden age of MF was in the 1980s.
>>> Although a lot of MF movies have been released, some based on books.
>>> I recently enjoyed WarCraft, which IIRC was based on a video game.
>>> IMHO we need strong leadership to restore the magic of MF.
>>>
>>> Abhinav Lal
>>> Prisoner & Slave
>>
>> Sigh, I'll bite.  Dude, are you living in a box ?  Since 2000, we have
>> had MANY great magic series.
>> 1. Jim Butcher
>> 2. Kelley Armstrong
>> 3. Kim Harrison
>> 4. Kevin Hearne
>> 5. Benedict Jacka
>> 6. David B. Coe
>>
>> And of course, there is my superb cousin, Seanan McGuire.
>
>Don't forget Ben AAronovitch.

Max Gladstone
Ursula Vernon as T Kingfisher
Charles Stross
Cat Valente
Stacia Kane
A Lee Martinez
Jasper Fforde
Liz Williams
Matt Hughes
Graydon Saunders
Tim Powers
Plus our own Lawrence Watt-Evans and Seawasp as Ryk Spoor, of course.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Hey T-Rex! This ice cream cake is delicious!"
"Thanks! You don't think it tastes like... *philosophical compromise*?"

Scott Lurndal

Oct 16, 2017, 3:40:37 PM10/16/17
Patricia Briggs
Michelle Sagara
Sharon Lee & Steve Miller

Lynn McGuire

Oct 16, 2017, 3:40:44 PM10/16/17
Man, I have not read a single one of their magic books. I have read
many of Seawasp's urban fantasy and space opera books though.

Lynn

Moriarty

Oct 16, 2017, 5:13:02 PM10/16/17
JK Rowling. She was quite popular.