Carrie Vaughn, _Kitty Saves the World_ (a Kitty Norville novel)

Tim McDaniel

Aug 1, 2015, 9:51:40 PM8/1/15
Carrie Vaughn, _Kitty Saves the World_ (a Kitty Norville novel)

Just came out.

Not much I can say about this without getting spoilery. I think its
quality and style is up there with the rest of the series.

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com

Brian M. Scott

Aug 2, 2015, 11:40:59 AM8/2/15
On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 01:51:38 +0000 (UTC), Tim McDaniel
<tm...@panix.com> wrote
in<news:mpjt3a$t4a$1...@reader1.panix.com> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> Carrie Vaughn, _Kitty Saves the World_ (a Kitty Norville
> novel)

> Just came out.

For most of us, I suspect, it will be out on Tuesday.

> Not much I can say about this without getting spoilery.
> I think its quality and style is up there with the rest
> of the series.

Well, you could mention that it concludes the entire
series.

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered

Tim McDaniel

Aug 2, 2015, 3:33:53 PM8/2/15
In article <127c824f6y3nj.26v2yfeue5s3$.d...@40tude.net>,
Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 01:51:38 +0000 (UTC), Tim McDaniel
><tm...@panix.com> wrote
>in<news:mpjt3a$t4a$1...@reader1.panix.com> in
>rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> Carrie Vaughn, _Kitty Saves the World_ (a Kitty Norville
>> novel)
>
>> Just came out.
>
>For most of us, I suspect, it will be out on Tuesday.
>
>> Not much I can say about this without getting spoilery.
>> I think its quality and style is up there with the rest
>> of the series.
>
>Well, you could mention that it [redacted]

Which I considered to be a major spoiler
(and trying to minimize further spoilers here for those who, like me,
have little self-control. Of course I am being overpicky by redacting
even what you've already posted.)

orpnhfr, tvira ubj fur jebgr va guvf frevrf (yvtug, abg yrnivat
hagvqvarff), vg vzcyvrf gung NYY gur nagntbavfgf ner rvgure qrfgeblrq
be fb pbapyhfviryl qrsrngrq gung gurve eriviny pnaabg or rkcrpgrq.
Lbh znl bowrpg gung gur gvgyr nybar gryyf lbh gung, ohg V qvfnterr.
Gur gvgyr pbhyq ersre gb fbzr bgure npgvba. Nsgre ernqvat gur vageb
vagreivrj, V jnf guvaxvat gung fnivat gur jbeyq pbhyq zrna n pher sbe
ylpnaguebcl naq inzcvevfz. Be znlor nabgure guerng: vg jbhyq unir
orra vagrerfgvat, sbe rknzcyr, vs Xvggl naq Qhk Oryybehz unq unq gb
pbbcrengr ntnvafg n guerng gb gurve erfcrpgvir cynaf. Be jung V jnf
rkcrpgvat zber: Xvggl zvtug unir qrsrngrq Qhk Oryybehz, ohg Pnrfne
zvtug unir snyyra onpx ba nabgure png'f cnj. Tbq xabjf jr'ir frra
frevrf tbvat gb uvture yriryf (cntvat Qbp Fzvgu) be trggvat nabgure
nagntbavfg.

Tvira ubj Pneevr Inhtua jebgr va guvf frevrf, vg nyfb vzcyvrf gung
rirelguvat ryfr jnf tbvat gb or cerggl zhpu jenccrq hc gbb.

Gung'f npghnyyl zl pbzcynvag, n "sevqtr gubhtug", V'ir unq nobhg gur
obbx. Nsgre znal obbxf bs ohvyqvat grafvba naq ohvyqvat fgnxrf, V
guvax gurer pbhyq unir orra naq fubhyq unir orra zber qrabhrzrag.
Znlor na ragver obbx -- sbe rknzcyr, tbvat qbja gb fznyy-fpnyr guerngf
naq ceboyrzf naq fubjvat ubj Xvggl abj unf gur fgeratgu gb qrny jvgu
gurz? Be ng yrnfg frireny puncgref. Vafgrnq, Pneevr frrzf gb zr gb
unir znqr gbb terng na rssbeg gb gvr bss nofbyhgryl rirel guernq, zbfg
bs gurz vafgnagyl. Zbfg oyngnagyl, V frr nofbyhgryl ab ernfba jul
[anzr] jnf xvyyrq cneg jnl guebhtu. Nf sbe gur raqvat: guvegl-bar
cntrf orgjrra gur svany raq bs gur obff svtug naq gur raq bs gur abiry
cebcre. Gung jnf bar-gragu bs gur sbhegrragu obbx va gur frevrf.

Naq gur negvsnpg vagebqhprq va n cerivbhf obbx unq orra qvfcynlrq
nobir gur znagyr zbhagrq ba n pneira cnary ynoryyrq "Purxbi'f Tha".

Naq gelvat gb oevat gbb zhpu bs n unccl raqvat. Uryy, rira Pbeznp unf
n cebfcrpg bs trggvat n tveysevraq! Abg gb zragvba gur svany ovg jvgu
Xvggl -- gung jnf nzbat gur zbfg yvgreny [eurgbevpny svther ryvqrq]
V'ir frra, naq V cenpgvpnyyl tebnarq.

Va pbagenfg, tvira ubj gvql rirelguvat ryfr jnf unaqyrq, gjb eryngrq
ybbfr raqf jrer rfcrpvnyyl tynevat. Bapr Pbeznp yrnearq ubj gur obff
svtug raqrq, ur nofbyhgryl jbhyq unir tbggra n zrgny qrgrpgbe naq n
obng, naq fgnlrq hagvy ur'q cbyvprq gur oenff.

So, not as satisfactory as I'd have liked.

And I just realized that the above is encoded in a Caesar alphabet.
How very apt.

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com

Brian M. Scott

Aug 2, 2015, 3:52:51 PM8/2/15
On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 19:33:50 +0000 (UTC), Tim McDaniel
<tm...@panix.com> wrote
in<news:mplrau$jjv$1...@reader1.panix.com> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> In article <127c824f6y3nj.26v2yfeue5s3$.d...@40tude.net>,
> Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:

>>On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 01:51:38 +0000 (UTC), Tim McDaniel
>><tm...@panix.com> wrote
>>in<news:mpjt3a$t4a$1...@reader1.panix.com> in
>>rec.arts.sf.written:

>>> Carrie Vaughn, _Kitty Saves the World_ (a Kitty
>>> Norville novel)

>>> Just came out.

>>For most of us, I suspect, it will be out on Tuesday.

>>> Not much I can say about this without getting spoilery.
>>> I think its quality and style is up there with the
>>> rest of the series.

>>Well, you could mention that it [redacted]

> Which I considered to be a major spoiler

Really? I’m not sure that I’ve seen any mention of the
book that *didn’t* include that information.

[...]

David Johnston

Aug 2, 2015, 4:06:55 PM8/2/15
On 8/2/2015 1:52 PM, Brian M. Scott wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 19:33:50 +0000 (UTC), Tim McDaniel
> <tm...@panix.com> wrote
> in<news:mplrau$jjv$1...@reader1.panix.com> in
> rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> In article <127c824f6y3nj.26v2yfeue5s3$.d...@40tude.net>,
>> Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
>
>>> On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 01:51:38 +0000 (UTC), Tim McDaniel
>>> <tm...@panix.com> wrote
>>> in<news:mpjt3a$t4a$1...@reader1.panix.com> in
>>> rec.arts.sf.written:

>>> For most of us, I suspect, it will be out on Tuesday.

>>> Well, you could mention that it [redacted]
>
>> Which I considered to be a major spoiler
>
> Really? I’m not sure that I’ve seen any mention of the
> book that *didn’t* include that information.

It's kind of implied by the title.

David DeLaney

Aug 3, 2015, 4:12:24 AM8/3/15
On 2015-08-02, Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
> Tim McDaniel <tm...@panix.com> wrote
>> Carrie Vaughn, _Kitty Saves the World_ (a Kitty Norville novel)
>
>> Just came out.
>
> For most of us, I suspect, it will be out on Tuesday.

It was out on Saturday in my Barnes & Noble, in paperback. I have not yet read
it; I expect to do so Soon (tm).

Dave
http://gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd/ -net.legends/Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Lynn McGuire

Aug 3, 2015, 12:31:54 PM8/3/15
On 8/2/2015 10:40 AM, Brian M. Scott wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 01:51:38 +0000 (UTC), Tim McDaniel
> <tm...@panix.com> wrote
> in<news:mpjt3a$t4a$1...@reader1.panix.com> in
> rec.arts.sf.written:
>
>> Carrie Vaughn, _Kitty Saves the World_ (a Kitty Norville
>> novel)
>
>> Just came out.
>
> For most of us, I suspect, it will be out on Tuesday.
>
>> Not much I can say about this without getting spoilery.
>> I think its quality and style is up there with the rest
>> of the series.
>
> Well, you could mention that it concludes the entire
> series.
>
> Brian

I hate it when a good series ends on a high note. Why not stretch it out to the bitter end?

Lynn

Tim McDaniel

Aug 5, 2015, 1:05:27 AM8/5/15
In article <mplt5t$l9p$1...@dont-email.me>,
I've gone back and looked at the back cover. I had unwontedly avoided
looking at it. It doesn't mention that.

>It's kind of implied by the title.

For reasons that I explained in the ROT13 text, I can think of ways in
which it would not have been, though it turns out the back cover
excluded my notions. There could also have been more denouement, as I
mentioned.

There's the (bad) precedent of Anita Blake, where she arguably saved
the world several books ago (killed a multi-book baddie), and later
killed off #2, but the series keeps being churned out.

Then again, this is Carrie Vaughn. A few books back, I thought it was
going to be the first book in a series: there's the plucky female
urban fantasy protagonist, there's the myserious male sidekick,
there's the animal, they'll travel the world looking for and defending
[blah] ... and then it all blows up.

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com

Robert Carnegie

Aug 5, 2015, 9:11:11 PM8/5/15
On Wednesday, 5 August 2015 06:05:27 UTC+1, Tim McDaniel wrote:
> In article <mplt5t$l9p$1...@dont-email.me>,
> David Johnston <Da...@block.net> wrote:
> >On 8/2/2015 1:52 PM, Brian M. Scott wrote:
> >> On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 19:33:50 +0000 (UTC), Tim McDaniel
> >> <tm...@panix.com> wrote
> >> in<news:mplrau$jjv$1...@reader1.panix.com> in
> >> rec.arts.sf.written:

> >> Really? I'm not sure that I've seen any mention of the
> >> book that *didn't* include that information.
>
> I've gone back and looked at the back cover. I had unwontedly avoided
> looking at it. It doesn't mention that.
>
> >It's kind of implied by the title.
>
> For reasons that I explained in the ROT13 text, I can think of ways in
> which it would not have been, though it turns out the back cover
> excluded my notions. There could also have been more denouement, as I
> mentioned.
>
> There's the (bad) precedent of Anita Blake, where she arguably saved
> the world several books ago (killed a multi-book baddie), and later
> killed off #2, but the series keeps being churned out.

I think _Kitty Doesn't Save the World_ would be the last
book in a series, although, I didn't save the world today
and I expect to be able to discuss these topics tomorrow.

I think some here have preferred to ignore Harry Harrison's
"Stainless Steel Rat" books after the third, which is indeed
_The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World_ (right?), but,
the fourth isn't so awful. Not worse than the third.

In comics <http://marvel.wikia.com/Howard_the_Duck_Vol_1_24>
is ""Where Do You Go -- What Do You Do -- The Night After
You Saved The Universe?" and the story does carry on
in its more typically downbeat style.

David Johnston

Aug 6, 2015, 2:47:56 AM8/6/15
Unlike Kitty, the Stainless Steel Rat had more than one world to
potentially save.

William December Starr

Aug 6, 2015, 10:58:56 PM8/6/15
In article <04cb9602-ae4a-4cba...@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> said:

> I think some here have preferred to ignore Harry Harrison's
> "Stainless Steel Rat" books after the third, which is indeed
> _The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World_ (right?),

Yes. Although it turned out that "for about a month" could have
been appended to the title. :-)

> but, the fourth isn't so awful. Not worse than the third.

That would be THE STAINLESS STEEL RAT WANTS YOU!, the one in which
he finally solved the Gray Men problem. I wasn't initially planning
to reread any beyond those that were in the SFBC omnibus edition of
the original three novels, but now I think I'll do this one too,
sooner or later.

-- wds

William December Starr

Aug 6, 2015, 11:13:06 PM8/6/15
In article <mpuvrn$krp$3...@dont-email.me>,
DiGriz was also saving the last 33,000 or so years of galactic
history[1], so at least technically he too was saving more than one
world.

*1: DiGriz's native time era was in the 346th century, Gregorian.
The tampering with history, albeit subtle, which he had set out
to undo came from 1975 A.D., though the trail subsequently took
him to 1804 and then the year 3000.

-- wds