Semi-OT: Can Amazon be made to ship via US Post?

Joe Bernstein

Jun 18, 2018, 8:57:52 PM6/18/18
Turns out I can't get Amazon packages where I get my mail because
the Post Office says it doesn't get paid for them.

Can I persuade Amazon to pay the US Post?

This is only semi-OT because one of the things I could spend my
Amazon dollars on is (surprisingly enough) books, specifically, for
example, a probably-spec-fic book by Lensey Namioka that's all that
stands between me and reading her in full.

It's hard for me to get to Amazon under my present circumstances, and
I surely must have less experience with it than some people here, so
figured it was best to ask.

-- JLB, again embarrassed, if a bit less so

hamis...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2018, 9:11:20 PM6/18/18
On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 10:57:52 AM UTC+10, Joe Bernstein wrote:
> Turns out I can't get Amazon packages where I get my mail because
> the Post Office says it doesn't get paid for them.

I'd ask for that in writing and send it up the chain because it sounds like complete crap.

Jay E. Morris

Jun 18, 2018, 9:39:45 PM6/18/18
According to Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117330
Address Format.
If a post office box address was entered in a format our system
does not recognize, the package may be shipped through a carrier that
cannot deliver to a post office box. To ensure that such packages are
routed through the proper carriers, please enter the box number as "PO
BOX" followed by the number. Also, if you're a private mailbox holder
(use a local commercial mail receiving agency), do not use "Box" for
your mailbox number, instead use # or PMB. This will ensure that your
address is not mistaken to be a P.O. Box, and that orders can ship to
you via means other than the U.S. Postal Service.

Of course I'm assuming you're talking about a PO box or a mail drop.

And that you're talking in the US.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 18, 2018, 10:30:04 PM6/18/18
In article <XnsA905B6BCED422...@85.214.115.223>,
Do you live way out in the boondocks, or are you limited in the
traveling you can do? (I, for instance, don't drive, and every
merchant in the city is beyond walking distance for me.)

Amazon now has a number of "drop boxes" in other companies'
space. There's one in the Safeway where Hal and I shop, for
instance. (I've never used it; they deliver things to us.)

You might try to find out, either by going directly to Amazon.com
and searching on "drop boxes," or by googling. Good luck.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Garrett Wollman

Jun 18, 2018, 10:50:18 PM6/18/18
In article <pAJsD...@kithrup.com>,
Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:

>Amazon now has a number of "drop boxes" in other companies'
>space. There's one in the Safeway where Hal and I shop, for
>instance. (I've never used it; they deliver things to us.)

I use the Amazon Locker(tm) in the local Whole Foods somewhat
frequently. Not because Amazon Logistics doesn't deliver, but because
they have a propensity to leave packages outside the wrong door
exposed to the weather and theft.

-GAWollman

wol...@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 18, 2018, 10:50:40 PM6/18/18
In article <XnsA905B6BCED422...@85.214.115.223>,
Joe Bernstein <Kdeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
That sounds very odd! If Amazon can send a package to any USPS address,
it should be able to send to all.

I have the opposite problem. Originaly Amazon delivered everything via
UPS, which was nice when I was on vacation as they could deliver to our
beach-house with no problem. Now, when they send via USPS more often than
not, I have lost that capability as the house has no mailbox (there being
nobody living there).
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Kevrob

Jun 18, 2018, 10:55:27 PM6/18/18
Both "FedEx Smartpost" and "UPS Mail Innovations" are USPS-
private carrier partnerships that will be delivered to properly
addressed PO Boxen. Many of the vendors who hire the company I
work for use one of those as their default, standard shipping
method. Upgrades to UPs ground or to air shipments require
street addresses. PMB 1001 c/o 123 Main St would be cromulent
on the upgrades.

Kevin R

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 18, 2018, 10:58:17 PM6/18/18
In article <pg9msu$nk8$1...@dont-email.me>,
The USPS now has a program to give street addresses to your PO Box, so
that UPS/FedEx/DHL can deliver to PO boxes.

Kevrob

Jun 19, 2018, 12:36:12 AM6/19/18
On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 10:58:17 PM UTC-4, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

> The USPS now has a program to give street addresses to your PO Box, so
> that UPS/FedEx/DHL can deliver to PO boxes.
> --

I've had customers tell me that, but didn't trust their
info.

See:

https://postalpro.usps.com/PBSA

Looks like a .pdf one can download or read on that site,
which was launched by usps.com, recently.

Kevin R

Scott Lurndal

Jun 19, 2018, 9:16:40 AM6/19/18

Quadibloc

Jun 19, 2018, 10:15:48 AM6/19/18
And when I read the title of the thread, I had thought this was about something
else entirely: whether the U. S. Post Office could sue Amazon, forcing it to
deliver all its parcels through them. Because corporations that used courier
services excessively had, in the past, faced fines as there is legislation
requiring the use of the U. S. Postal Service except for urgent deliveries or
items unsuitable for the mail.

I don't think the postal monopoly has been repealed...

John Savard

Peter Trei

Jun 19, 2018, 10:58:31 AM6/19/18
There's two things that are relevant - the USPS monopoly on mailbox access, and
the Private Express Statutes.

In particular, private carriers can deliver things if they put on the stamps
which would have been required, and cancel them in ink. Meter stamps are usually
used.

There's a bunch of other exceptions, for exceptionally urgent deliveries, and
low volume deliveries.

pt

Joe Bernstein

Jun 19, 2018, 4:12:53 PM6/19/18
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in

> In article <XnsA905B6BCED422...@85.214.115.223>,
> Joe Bernstein <Kdeu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Turns out I can't get Amazon packages where I get my mail because
>>the Post Office says it doesn't get paid for them.
>>
>>Can I persuade Amazon to pay the US Post?

> Amazon now has a number of "drop boxes" in other companies'
> space. There's one in the Safeway where Hal and I shop, for
> instance. (I've never used it; they deliver things to us.)

Thank you. Stupid me; there's one in the grocery I go to every day.

Unless that adds to the postage, problem solved.

-- JLB

Kevrob

Jun 19, 2018, 4:53:22 PM6/19/18
Hey, AKICIF: You knew to ask!

> Unless that adds to the postage, problem solved.

Good luck with them!

Kevin R

Jay E. Morris

Jun 19, 2018, 7:35:27 PM6/19/18
My father-in-law refused to put up a mailbox on his rural home, using a
PO box instead. (I believe so that the black helicopters would not know
where he lived.) We sent him a basket of fruit or chocolate or some such
once by UPS but not realizing that they would use the USPS last mile
service. That thing seemed to wander over much of the southern half of
West Virginia before finally disappearing. Company was good enough to
refund our money though.