Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets: Snape's Discipline Rights

tsbr...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2016, 10:11:35 PM8/25/16
When Snape catches Harry and Ron after they arrive at Hogwarts via flying car, he claims that he doesn't have the power to expel them, since they are not of his House, so he goes to fetch McGonagal and Dumbledore. Not only can't Snape expel Harry and Ron, he doesn't even give them detention or take points off of them. Would that mean that Snape doesn't have the power to detain Harry and Ron or take points off of them? McGonagal does give them detention, but doesn't take points off because Harry and Ron had taken the flying car BEFORE the term started!

On many other occasions throughout the series, Snape does take points off of and/or detains Harry, Ron, and other Gryffindors. McGonagal takes points off of and detains Draco Malfoy.

Book 6: Snape takes 70 points off of Harry when he arrives late for the opening feast. Why doesn't he take points off of Harry and Ron over the flying car incident?

Robert Carnegie

Aug 26, 2016, 3:17:36 AM8/26/16
If they're expelled from the school then points are
irrelevant. But I wonder why he wants to do that.
Professor Dumbledore would really not like it.

Or maybe Snape is just trying to scare them.
The house ethic of Gryffindor, as I see it,
includes boldness, daring - irresponsibility.
You can have too much of that.

Paul Colquhoun

Aug 26, 2016, 3:19:13 AM8/26/16
Presumably for the same reason McGonagal didn't, term hasn't started
yet, and the points system isn't running until term starts.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:

tsbr...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2016, 6:13:08 AM8/26/16
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 12:19:13 AM UTC-7, Paul Colquhoun wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 19:11:32 -0700 (PDT), tsbr...@gmail.com <tsbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> | When Snape catches Harry and Ron after they arrive at Hogwarts via
> | flying car, he claims that he doesn't have the power to expel them,
> | since they are not of his House, so he goes to fetch McGonagal and
> | Dumbledore. Not only can't Snape expel Harry and Ron, he doesn't
> | even give them detention or take points off of them. Would that
> | mean that Snape doesn't have the power to detain Harry and Ron or
> | take points off of them? McGonagal does give them detention, but
> | doesn't take points off because Harry and Ron had taken the flying
> | car BEFORE the term started!
> |
> | On many other occasions throughout the series, Snape does take
> | points off of and/or detains Harry, Ron, and other Gryffindors.
> | McGonagal takes points off of and detains Draco Malfoy.
> |
> | Book 6: Snape takes 70 points off of Harry when he arrives late for
> | the opening feast. Why doesn't he take points off of Harry and Ron
> | over the flying car incident?
>

> Presumably for the same reason McGonagal didn't, term hasn't started
> yet, and the points system isn't running until term starts.

But in book 6, Snape was able to take 70 points off of Harry Potter DURING the opening feast! In book 2, Snape took Harry and Ron OUT of the opening feast in order to scold him over the flying car, so according to book 6, it seems to me that Snape could have deducted points on that occasion.

David DeLaney

Aug 26, 2016, 1:24:10 PM8/26/16
On 2016-08-26, Paul Colquhoun <newsp...@andor.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
> tsbr...@gmail.com <tsbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>| Book 6: Snape takes 70 points off of Harry when he arrives late for
>| the opening feast. Why doesn't he take points off of Harry and Ron
>| over the flying car incident?
>
> Presumably for the same reason McGonagal didn't, term hasn't started
> yet, and the points system isn't running until term starts.

I'd also like to point out to TB that the proper person to ask about this,
for perhaps-obvious reasons, is DUMBLEDORE. _Not us_. Stop asking us. Sheesh.

Dave
website on VIC is down, probably for good - oh well/ I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

TB

Aug 26, 2016, 1:36:59 PM8/26/16
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 10:24:10 AM UTC-7, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2016-08-26, Paul Colquhoun <newsp...@andor.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
> > tsbr...@gmail.com <tsbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >| Book 6: Snape takes 70 points off of Harry when he arrives late for
> >| the opening feast. Why doesn't he take points off of Harry and Ron
> >| over the flying car incident?
> >
> > Presumably for the same reason McGonagal didn't, term hasn't started
> > yet, and the points system isn't running until term starts.
>
> I'd also like to point out to TB that the proper person to ask about this,
> for perhaps-obvious reasons, is DUMBLEDORE. _Not us_. Stop asking us. Sheesh.

Dumbledore died at the end of book 6, so I can't ask him!

10313...@compuserve.com

Aug 26, 2016, 2:11:14 PM8/26/16
Well, well: I just got a new .sig for my collection!

JimboCat
--
"One day, the Doctor will meet and defeat that villainous race of sentient continuity errors which has dogged his footsteps since time began." [qntm]

Robert Carnegie

Aug 27, 2016, 9:48:16 AM8/27/16
It's possible that the rules were changed between books.

On the other hand, if Snape really wanted to expel the
kids - for that to be an appropriate punishment, a points
fine would have to be /not/ an appropriate punishment.

Also, the head of each House of Hogwarts doesn't want
to take too many points off their own house. (The
house points may relate to their salary. Performance
related.) So Professor McGonagall is looking for an
excuse to not penalise her students.

TB

Aug 27, 2016, 2:03:55 PM8/27/16
I had thought that expulsion might be too serious a manner to assign to a teacher who isn't of the student's house, but I had also thought that Snape would still have the ability to knock off points, yet he didn't knock off points!

> Also, the head of each House of Hogwarts doesn't want
> to take too many points off their own house. (The
> house points may relate to their salary. Performance
> related.) So Professor McGonagall is looking for an
> excuse to not penalise her students.

McGonagall hasn't hesitated to knock points off members of her House on other occasions. In Book 1, she took 150 points off of Harry, Hermione, and Neville!