Today's Life in the Future Headline

Jack Bohn

Jul 26, 2017, 9:05:40 AM7/26/17
In my paper today, the headline, "Should You Be Worried About the Rise of AI?" sits atop the Business section.

No, no practical advice. (I wonder if a business trying to get its own AI would call it "headlesshunting.") About last week Elon Musk being Hawking-level alarming about it, and Mark Zuckerberg pooh-poohing it, which caused Musk to comment: "His understanding of the subject is limited." Is this what a flame war looks like between people who have social skills (or can buy or rent them)?

--
-Jack

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jul 26, 2017, 11:27:06 AM7/26/17
Jack Bohn <jack....@gmail.com> wrote in

> In my paper today, the headline, "Should You Be Worried About
> the Rise of AI?" sits atop the Business section.
>
> No, no practical advice. (I wonder if a business trying to get
> its own AI would call it "headlesshunting.") About last week
> Elon Musk being Hawking-level alarming about it, and Mark
> Zuckerberg pooh-poohing it, which caused Musk to comment: "His
> understanding of the subject is limited."

If anybody knows about not knowing much about AI, it's Elon Musk.

> Is this what a flame
> war looks like between people who have social skills (or can buy
> or rent them)?

Where do you see social skills?

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Jack Bohn

Jul 26, 2017, 2:20:23 PM7/26/17
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> Jack Bohn wrote in
>
> > In my paper today, the headline, "Should You Be Worried About
> > the Rise of AI?" sits atop the Business section.
> >
> > About last week
> > Elon Musk being Hawking-level alarming about it, and Mark
> > Zuckerberg pooh-poohing it, which caused Musk to comment: "His
> > understanding of the subject is limited."
>
> If anybody knows about not knowing much about AI, it's Elon Musk.
>
> > Is this what a flame
> > war looks like between people who have social skills (or can buy
> > or rent them)?
> >
> Where do you see social skills?

Avoiding the actual word "dumb" or a synonym, for a start. Not using phrases like -- to pick a random one I've seen -- "You guys are like intellectual sapeurs ,no offence to the Congo sapeurs who are genuinely entertaining." It's a low bar.

--
-Jack

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Jul 26, 2017, 2:25:58 PM7/26/17
Jack Bohn <jack....@gmail.com> wrote in
That would qualify as a passive/aggressive insult, but it's still
an insult. I guess "consistenly being an asshole but refusing to
admit it" is technically a social skill.