Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry

Sound of Trumpet

Aug 11, 2010, 10:31:16 AM8/11/10
Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry

Human Events ^ | 07/11/2010 | Benjamin Wiker

Posted on 12 July 2010 19:20:55 by SeekAndFind

1. Discuss the Fermi Paradox. Atheists love aliens because they always
assume that, a) brainy creatures gushing out of every galactic cranny
shows that Earth is low-rent cosmic real estate, and b) the smartest
aliens will be atheists. Against this giddy optimism, the famous
physicist Enrico Fermi asked a quite innocent question: If Earth is a
typical planet, and there are lots of planets in the universe, then
why haven’t any extraterrestrial critters dropped by, or even sent us
a text message (“ur nt solo, n btw ur nt vry smrt”)?

2. Join Mensa. Atheists are obsessed with their IQs and they love to
flaunt their membership in an organization of people dedicated to self-
congratulation. The atheist assumption is that religion is a sure sign
of evolutionary atavism. A devout believer whipping out his Mensa card
is entirely incomprehensible and ultimately indigestible.

3. Bait and Switch # 1. Atheists love to talk about the Spanish
Inquisition. Get them, ever so casually, to talk about persecution by
zealous believers in general, and then the persecution by zealous
Marxists in particular. Finally, since atheists like math, have them
compare the number killed by the Inquisition over several centuries
(2,000-6,000) with the number killed by devout Marxists in one century
(100,000,000).

4. Bait and Switch # 2. Despite their pretence to moral relativity,
atheists will still grant that Adolf Hitler was epically evil. Having
gotten them to admit this point, offer to read aloud some of the most
offending passages from Mein Kamp (a special copy of which you just
happened to be carrying). After about a half-hour, suddenly strike a
quizzical look and say, “Wait a minute,” removing the dust jacket,
“How did that happen? This is my copy of Margaret Sanger’s The Pivot
of Civilization! Say, wasn’t she the founder of Planned Parenthood?”

5. Learn to talk like William F. Buckley. A comfortable prejudice for
American atheists is that religious believers all speak with a heavy
Southern accent and use small words.

6. Have Lots of Children. Atheists love humanity as long as there is
less of it. They are especially grieved by biologically prodigious
believers who seem to be taking Darwin at his word, but for all the
wrong reasons. Nothing is more irksome than to behold their own future
self-imposed extinction amidst the swelling tide of the God-fearing.

7. Host a Darwin Read-a-loud. Invite some atheist friends to read and
discuss Darwin, and then read some purple passages from his Descent of
Man where he waxes eloquently on the importance of eugenics, the
biologically based moral and intellectual inferiority of “lesser
races,” and the inevitable evolutionary extermination of the “negro”
and the “Australian.”

8. Talk about the Impending Crash of the World Economy. Ideas have
consequences, and some of the worst economic ideas were hatched by
John Maynard Keynes. Make clear to your atheist interlocutor that the
wide-scale adoption of Keynes’ conception of government as the grand
fiddler micromanaging the economy through narcotic stimulation with
freshly printed money is the single most important cause of the
current American and European financial implosion. Then mention ever-
so-casually, “Wasn’t Keynes an atheist?”

9. Stage a Nietzsche Practicum. Atheists love the nihilistic
philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche who famously declared “God is dead.”
More exactly, they love it in theory, but invariably cringe at the
practical implications Nietzsche quite logically drew out: without
God, there is no moral order and the strong should devour the weak,
for “life itself is will to power.” Invite your favorite atheist to
meet you for lunch to discuss Nietzsche. Order the most expensive meal
on the menu, steal his iPhone while he’s in the bathroom, and then at
the end, stick him with the check. Then on the way out snatch the keys
to his Saab and speed away in it singing at full lung, “I love
Nietzsche! He’s really rather peachy. A world devoid of moral qualms
is far more fuuunnnn…than one that’s preachy teachy!”

10. Assault Them with Charity (cont’d. from No. 9). Drive around the
block to the restaurant again, and pull up to your fuming atheist
friend. After returning the keys to his Saab and his iPhone, and
shelling out your share of the tab, say “I just can’t bring myself to
act as if God doesn’t exist.” Then, forever after treat him with
unfailing kindness, as if he were Indian Untouchable and you were
Mother Teresa.

Benjamin Wiker is the author of 10 Books Every Conservative Must Read:
Plus Four Not to Miss and One Impostor (one of the books being C. S.
Lewis’ The Abolition of Man), and 10 Books that Screwed Up the World.
His website is www.ameaningfulworldaudio.com

W.T.S.

Aug 11, 2010, 11:30:18 AM8/11/10
"Sound of Trumpet" wrote in message

Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry

Human Events ^ | 07/11/2010 | Benjamin Wiker

Posted on 12 July 2010 19:20:55 by SeekAndFind

<snip> Dreamed up lying bull shit. </snip>
That was nice. Now go dream up some more bull shit to prove "God" exists
when we know for a fact "He" does not.
The problem with arguing with a creationist and/or theist is the endless
lines of bull shit they come up with, the circular logic, the total nonsense
they spew. It's sort of like trying to play chess with a pigeon, they just
haven't the brain for it to be worth the effort.
God, lie. Atheism, truth.
----------------------------- http://folding.stanford.edu Save lives, visit
today!

Robert Carnegie

Aug 11, 2010, 11:43:06 AM8/11/10
Is _Mein Kamp_ part of Scott Lively's evidence that the Nazis were
gay, or does that comment fail to translate outside Britain?

Jimbo

Aug 11, 2010, 11:53:01 AM8/11/10
On Aug 11, 10:31 am, Sound of Trumpet <soundoftrum...@post.com> wrote:
> Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry

There is one sure fired way to make a theist cry.

Ask them for objective evidence.

They ball like babies when you do that.

William December Starr

Aug 11, 2010, 1:51:53 PM8/11/10
In article <4d459c91-a082-4731...@l6g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Jimbo <ckdb...@gmail.com> said:

> There is one sure fired way to make a theist cry.
>
> Ask them for objective evidence.
>
> They ball like babies when you do that.

"Bawl." If they balled when you do that, well, the world would
be a somewhat different place.

-- wds

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Aug 11, 2010, 2:33:03 PM8/11/10
On 11 Aug 2010 13:51:53 -0400, wds...@panix.com (William December
Starr) wrote:

If babies balled at all, the world would be a very different place.

I'm serializing novels at http://www.ethshar.com/TheFinalCalling01.html
and http://www.watt-evans.com/realmsoflight1.html

Joseph Nebus

Aug 11, 2010, 2:46:25 PM8/11/10
Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> writes:

>On 11 Aug 2010 13:51:53 -0400, wds...@panix.com (William December
>Starr) wrote:

>>> They ball like babies when you do that.
>>
>>"Bawl." If they balled when you do that, well, the world would
>>be a somewhat different place.

>If babies balled at all, the world would be a very different place.

I for one adore my pangolin-American niece.

--
Joseph Nebus

Edward A. Falk

Aug 11, 2010, 3:04:57 PM8/11/10
In article <9b2a0332-d6de-47d3...@k10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,

Fermi's Non-Paradox: http://www.electronpusher.org/?p=622

>3. Bait and Switch # 1. Atheists love to talk about the Spanish
>Inquisition. Get them, ever so casually, to talk about persecution by
>zealous believers in general, and then the persecution by zealous
>Marxists in particular. Finally, since atheists like math, have them
>compare the number killed by the Inquisition over several centuries
>(2,000-6,000) with the number killed by devout Marxists in one century

Current best estimate is that the witch hunts alone killed 50,000

See also St. Barthemew's Day Massacre

Oh, why do I bother? Here's how to get an athiest to cry: force them
to listen to your unending drivel until they're banging their heads
against the wall in frustration.

--
-Ed Falk, fa...@despams.r.us.com
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

Mark K Bilbo

Aug 11, 2010, 3:13:28 PM8/11/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:31:16 -0700, Sound of Trumpet wrote:

> 2. Join Mensa.

No, that's a good way to get us to laugh at you...

--
Mark K. Bilbo
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion #1423

-- Karen Walker

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Aug 11, 2010, 3:49:14 PM8/11/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:04:57 +0000 (UTC), fa...@mauve.rahul.net (Edward
A. Falk) wrote:

>In article <9b2a0332-d6de-47d3...@k10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
>Sound of Trumpet <soundof...@post.com> wrote:
>>Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry
>>
>>Human Events ^ | 07/11/2010 | Benjamin Wiker
>>
>>Posted on 12 July 2010 19:20:55 by SeekAndFind
>>
>>1. Discuss the Fermi Paradox. Atheists love aliens because they always
>>assume that, a) brainy creatures gushing out of every galactic cranny
>>shows that Earth is low-rent cosmic real estate, and b) the smartest
>>aliens will be atheists. Against this giddy optimism, the famous
>>physicist Enrico Fermi asked a quite innocent question: If Earth is a
>>typical planet, and there are lots of planets in the universe, then
>>why haven’t any extraterrestrial critters dropped by, or even sent us
>>a text message (“ur nt solo, n btw ur nt vry smrt”)?
>
>Fermi's Non-Paradox: http://www.electronpusher.org/?p=622
>
>>3. Bait and Switch # 1. Atheists love to talk about the Spanish
>>Inquisition. Get them, ever so casually, to talk about persecution by
>>zealous believers in general, and then the persecution by zealous
>>Marxists in particular. Finally, since atheists like math, have them
>>compare the number killed by the Inquisition over several centuries
>>(2,000-6,000) with the number killed by devout Marxists in one century
>
>Current best estimate is that the witch hunts alone killed 50,000

No, that is NOT the current best estimate; it's a high estimate by
people with an axe to grind. There were thousands, but probably not
50,000. I don't have a different "best estimate" to offer because
there just isn't good data.

>See also St. Barthemew's Day Massacre
>
>Oh, why do I bother? Here's how to get an athiest to cry: force them
>to listen to your unending drivel until they're banging their heads
>against the wall in frustration.

Mark K Bilbo

Aug 11, 2010, 3:50:58 PM8/11/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:31:16 -0700, Sound of Trumpet wrote:

> 1. Discuss the Fermi Paradox.

Love to. You start.

Oh, wait, I forgot, you're a troll who never responds to anything because
of being a coward. Also, you love to hide behind legally questionable
proxies because breaking the law is *so* Christian...

--
Mark K. Bilbo
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion #1423

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned
for life is akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it
fits its hole"

-- Douglas Adams

Mark K Bilbo

Aug 11, 2010, 3:51:32 PM8/11/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:31:16 -0700, Sound of Trumpet wrote:

> 6. Have Lots of Children.

And be poor.

I'll show you, I'll fuck up my life! That'll teach ya!

--
Mark K. Bilbo
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion #1423

"You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards,
witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling
from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of
magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that
*we* are the ones that need help?"

-- Jon Stoll

Mark K Bilbo

Aug 11, 2010, 3:52:00 PM8/11/10

No, then the claws come out and they set out to show you who's god...

--
Mark K. Bilbo
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion #1423

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants
them to do because I notice it always coincides with their
own desires."

-- Susan B. Anthony

Mark K Bilbo

Aug 11, 2010, 4:19:52 PM8/11/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:04:57 +0000, Edward A. Falk wrote:

> In article
> <9b2a0332-d6de-47d3...@k10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
> Sound of Trumpet <soundof...@post.com> wrote:
>>Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry
>>
>>Human Events ^ | 07/11/2010 | Benjamin Wiker
>>
>>Posted on 12 July 2010 19:20:55 by SeekAndFind
>>
>>1. Discuss the Fermi Paradox. Atheists love aliens because they always
>>assume that, a) brainy creatures gushing out of every galactic cranny
>>shows that Earth is low-rent cosmic real estate, and b) the smartest
>>aliens will be atheists. Against this giddy optimism, the famous
>>physicist Enrico Fermi asked a quite innocent question: If Earth is a
>>typical planet, and there are lots of planets in the universe, then why
>>haven’t any extraterrestrial critters dropped by, or even sent us a text
>>message (“ur nt solo, n btw ur nt vry smrt”)?
>
> Fermi's Non-Paradox: http://www.electronpusher.org/?p=622
>

>>3. Bait and Switch # 1. Atheists love to talk about the Spanish
>>Inquisition. Get them, ever so casually, to talk about persecution by
>>zealous believers in general, and then the persecution by zealous
>>Marxists in particular. Finally, since atheists like math, have them
>>compare the number killed by the Inquisition over several centuries
>>(2,000-6,000) with the number killed by devout Marxists in one century
>
> Current best estimate is that the witch hunts alone killed 50,000

I understand that's an inflated number. But, well, isn't it interesting
that the best they can come up with is, "Not as bad as Stalin!" or some
other such thing?

Why has *anyone* ever been killed in the name of their god? Isn't that
actually what "not taking in vain" the name of their god is about? Not
doing evil in his name?

They really gotta do better than "Not as bad as Stalin!"... I mean,
really...

--
Mark K. Bilbo
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion #1423

"How did you hurt your back? Running away from good taste?"

-- Karen Walker

panam...@hotmail.com

Aug 11, 2010, 6:46:21 PM8/11/10
On Aug 11, 10:31 am, Sound of Trumpet <soundoftrum...@post.com> wrote:

snip

I actually *enjoy* seeing this little tizzy of panic the Inbred News
Services are having about atheism. Reminds me of an old quote:

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you,
then you win."
-M.Ghandi

So rant away, O defenders of nonsense! Spout your lies and anger upon
the world, O ye mindless bastions of superstition! Every word out of
your mouths shows nothing but how little you actually have to say.

I might print up that piece of shit Strumpet posted, and pin it on the
wall next to *this* one.

http://www.johannhari.com/2010/08/10/the-slow-whiny-death-of-british-christianity

Even a long, slow, struggle isn't nearly as gloomy when you can see
your side actually winning it...

-Panama Floyd, Atlanta.
aa#2015/Member, Knights of BAAWA!

(¯`·.¸Craig Chilton¸.·´¯) <www.LayoffRemedy.com>

Aug 11, 2010, 11:11:25 PM8/11/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:31:16 -0700 (PDT),
Sound of Trumpet <soundof...@post.com> PARROTED...

...a bunch of bigoted crap. WITHOUT providing any text
of his OWN. As usual! (I wonder if he's illiterate??)

[ ... ]

> 2. Join Mensa. A devout believer whipping out his Mensa

> card is entirely incomprehensible and ultimately indigestible.

I've been in Mensa since 1974, and have FRIENDS who are
atheists, even though am an ACTUAL Christian (NOT an RRR-
Cult PSEUDO-Christian). And I do NOT proselytize. Everyone
has the RIGHT to believe whatever they want.

See: http://www.egalitarian.biz/Proselytize.html

BTW, I haven't actively done anything with Mensa in 30
years, so things may have changed. But back then, I don't
think we used cards. (If so, I never carried one.) I think we
simply recognized each other by wearing a big yellow map tack.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

••• Rest in Peace •••
••• George Richard Tiller, MD •••
••• A True American HERO! •••
••• August 8, 1941 – May 31, 2009 •••
••• Visit -- http://iamdrtiller.com •••

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

-- Craig Chilton (E-Mail me if you wish, from websites below.)

www.LayoffRemedy.com -- Unemployment Solution!
www.ChristianEgalitarian.com -- Fight the hateful RRR Cult!
http://apifar.blogspot.com -- Tactics: Defending Human Rights
http://pro-christian.blogspot.com -- Exposing RRR Cult Bigotry
www.shadowandillusion.com -- Learn "The LOPAQUA Secret!"
www.TravelForPay.org -- Learn how to get PAID to TRAVEL!

peterw...@hotmail.com

Aug 12, 2010, 1:53:25 AM8/12/10
On Aug 11, 9:31 am, Sound of Trumpet <soundoftrum...@post.com> wrote:
> Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry
>
> Human Events ^ | 07/11/2010 | Benjamin Wiker
>
> 3. Bait and Switch # 1. Atheists love to talk about the Spanish
> Inquisition. Get them, ever so casually, to talk about persecution by
> zealous believers in general, and then the persecution by zealous
> Marxists in particular. Finally, since atheists like math, have them
> compare the number killed by the Inquisition over several centuries
> (2,000-6,000) with the number killed by devout Marxists in one century
> (100,000,000).

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

Ray Fischer

Aug 12, 2010, 2:37:38 AM8/12/10
Sound of Trumpet <soundof...@post.com> wrote:
>Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry
>
>Human Events ^ | 07/11/2010 | Benjamin Wiker
>
>Posted on 12 July 2010 19:20:55 by SeekAndFind
>
>1. Discuss the Fermi Paradox.

Religibot always assume that everybody is as stupid as are they.

> the famous
>physicist Enrico Fermi asked a quite innocent question: If Earth is a
>typical planet, and there are lots of planets in the universe, then
>why haven’t any extraterrestrial critters dropped by, or even sent us
>a text message (“ur nt solo, n btw ur nt vry smrt”)?

"If Vladimir Putin is a typical human being then why hasn't he ever
dropped by or even tried to contact me?"

>2. Join Mensa.

Why?

> Atheists are obsessed with their IQs and they love to

Lying about atheists isn't a credible argument.

>3. Bait and Switch # 1. Atheists love to talk about the Spanish

Lying about atheists isn't a credible argument.

>4. Bait and Switch # 2. Despite their pretence to moral relativity,

Lying about atheists isn't a credible argument.

>5. Learn to talk like William F. Buckley. A comfortable prejudice for
>American atheists is that religious believers all speak with a heavy

Lying about atheists isn't a credible argument.

>6. Have Lots of Children. Atheists love humanity as long as there is

Lying about atheists isn't a credible argument.

--
Ray Fischer
rfis...@sonic.net

Mark K Bilbo

Aug 12, 2010, 9:20:16 AM8/12/10
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:31:16 -0700, Sound of Trumpet wrote:

> 5. Learn to talk like William F. Buckley.

Pretentiously incomprehensible?

Fine by me. Leave your "flocks" going "huh?" all day long. It will amuse
me...

--
Mark K. Bilbo
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion #1423

"Christians, it is needless to say, utterly detest each
other. They slander each other constantly with the vilest
forms of abuse and cannot come to any sort of agreement
in their teachings. Each sect brands its own, fills the
head of its own with deceitful nonsense, and makes perfect
little pigs of those it wins over to its side."

-- Celsus (2nd century C.E.)

Mark K Bilbo

Aug 12, 2010, 9:20:37 AM8/12/10

No one does!

--
Mark K. Bilbo
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion #1423

"Morality is doing what is right, no matter what you're
told. Religion is doing what you're told, not matter what
is right."

-- Jerry Sturdivant

Jimbo

Aug 12, 2010, 10:00:59 AM8/12/10
On Aug 11, 3:52 pm, Mark K Bilbo <gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:53:01 -0700, Jimbo wrote:
> > On Aug 11, 10:31 am, Sound of Trumpet <soundoftrum...@post.com> wrote:
> >> Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry
>
> > There is one sure fired way to make a theist cry.
>
> > Ask them for objective evidence.
>
> > They ball like babies when you do that.
>
> No, then the claws come out and they set out to show you who's god...

Nah, paper tigers at best.

Scott Balneaves

Aug 12, 2010, 5:20:26 PM8/12/10
In alt.atheism Sound of Trumpet <soundof...@post.com> wrote:
> Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry
>
> Human Events ^ | 07/11/2010 | Benjamin Wiker
>
> Posted on 12 July 2010 19:20:55 by SeekAndFind
>
> 1. Discuss the Fermi Paradox. Atheists love aliens because they always
> assume that, a) brainy creatures gushing out of every galactic cranny
> shows that Earth is low-rent cosmic real estate, and b) the smartest
> aliens will be atheists. Against this giddy optimism, the famous
> physicist Enrico Fermi asked a quite innocent question: If Earth is a
> typical planet, and there are lots of planets in the universe, then
> why haven’t any extraterrestrial critters dropped by, or even sent us
> a text message (“ur nt solo, n btw ur nt vry smrt”)?

Because the laws of the universe (No travel faster that 3x10^8 m/s) would tend
to make long distance space travel a rare event.

On the other hand, if Earth were the only life in the *entire* universe, it
would kind of put paid to the "Universe finely tuned for life" argument,
wouldn't it? I mean, if it was finely tuned for life, life should be
*everywhere*, shouldn't it?

> 2. Join Mensa. Atheists are obsessed with their IQs and they love to
> flaunt their membership in an organization of people dedicated to self-
> congratulation. The atheist assumption is that religion is a sure sign
> of evolutionary atavism. A devout believer whipping out his Mensa card
> is entirely incomprehensible and ultimately indigestible.

That's assuming you can get *in* to mensa. But that aside, why would a theist
mensa member bother an atheist?

> 3. Bait and Switch # 1. Atheists love to talk about the Spanish
> Inquisition. Get them, ever so casually, to talk about persecution by
> zealous believers in general, and then the persecution by zealous
> Marxists in particular. Finally, since atheists like math, have them
> compare the number killed by the Inquisition over several centuries
> (2,000-6,000) with the number killed by devout Marxists in one century
> (100,000,000).

Communist dictators killed many people. They did so because they were insane
dictators, not because they didn't beleive in God. I don't think Pol Pot,
Stalin or Mao ever wrote "Since there's no God, I intend to kill as many people
as I can! Whheeee!". They used atheism as a tool to centralize power in the
state, of which they were the supreme head. Atheism for them was a tool, not
an end in itself.

> 4. Bait and Switch # 2. Despite their pretence to moral relativity,
> atheists will still grant that Adolf Hitler was epically evil. Having
> gotten them to admit this point, offer to read aloud some of the most
> offending passages from Mein Kamp (a special copy of which you just
> happened to be carrying). After about a half-hour, suddenly strike a
> quizzical look and say, “Wait a minute,” removing the dust jacket,
> “How did that happen? This is my copy of Margaret Sanger’s The Pivot
> of Civilization! Say, wasn’t she the founder of Planned Parenthood?”

Hitler was, of course, Catholic.

> 5. Learn to talk like William F. Buckley. A comfortable prejudice for
> American atheists is that religious believers all speak with a heavy
> Southern accent and use small words.

Speaking in a cultured voice doesn't help an argument if it's incorrect. The
argument is decided on evidence, logic, and proper reasoning, regardless of
what the accent is.

> 6. Have Lots of Children. Atheists love humanity as long as there is
> less of it. They are especially grieved by biologically prodigious
> believers who seem to be taking Darwin at his word, but for all the
> wrong reasons. Nothing is more irksome than to behold their own future
> self-imposed extinction amidst the swelling tide of the God-fearing.

Why would an atheist care how many children you have? How many children you
have and what you teach them is your business. Just so long as your teaching
stays within your family, and doesn't become the law of the land is all most
atheists seem to care about.

> 7. Host a Darwin Read-a-loud. Invite some atheist friends to read and
> discuss Darwin, and then read some purple passages from his Descent of
> Man where he waxes eloquently on the importance of eugenics, the
> biologically based moral and intellectual inferiority of “lesser
> races,” and the inevitable evolutionary extermination of the “negro”
> and the “Australian.”

Darwin was a product of his time. He was far less racist than most people of
his era, but, obviously there was some racism there. What's important about
his idea is: it scientifically establishes the case that ALL humans are the
same species, and that therefore racism has NO scientific merit whatsoever.
That's a powerful result.

And I don't think ANY atheist or scientist, or atheist scientist, for that
matter, would ever NOT want the ToE to be discussed.

> 8. Talk about the Impending Crash of the World Economy. Ideas have
> consequences, and some of the worst economic ideas were hatched by
> John Maynard Keynes. Make clear to your atheist interlocutor that the
> wide-scale adoption of Keynes’ conception of government as the grand
> fiddler micromanaging the economy through narcotic stimulation with
> freshly printed money is the single most important cause of the
> current American and European financial implosion. Then mention ever-
> so-casually, “Wasn’t Keynes an atheist?”

What does atheism have to do with economic theory? Keynes economic theories
have to stand on their own ground, or not.

Besides, I beleive the bible says something about charging intrest, or more
specifically, NOT charging intrest. Perhaps the Atheist should recommend a
strict adherance to Biblical economic theory.

> 9. Stage a Nietzsche Practicum. Atheists love the nihilistic
> philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche who famously declared “God is dead.”
> More exactly, they love it in theory, but invariably cringe at the
> practical implications Nietzsche quite logically drew out: without
> God, there is no moral order and the strong should devour the weak,
> for “life itself is will to power.” Invite your favorite atheist to
> meet you for lunch to discuss Nietzsche. Order the most expensive meal
> on the menu, steal his iPhone while he’s in the bathroom, and then at
> the end, stick him with the check. Then on the way out snatch the keys
> to his Saab and speed away in it singing at full lung, “I love
> Nietzsche! He’s really rather peachy. A world devoid of moral qualms
> is far more fuuunnnn…than one that’s preachy teachy!”

Hmm, I believe both the Bible, and most countries tend to have thoughts on
theft. Not sure where you're living.

> 10. Assault Them with Charity (cont’d. from No. 9). Drive around the
> block to the restaurant again, and pull up to your fuming atheist
> friend. After returning the keys to his Saab and his iPhone, and
> shelling out your share of the tab, say “I just can’t bring myself to
> act as if God doesn’t exist.” Then, forever after treat him with
> unfailing kindness, as if he were Indian Untouchable and you were
> Mother Teresa.

Well, seeing as how you're simply returning what you stole, and paying for your
portion of the cheque, you're not actually doing anything kind, only fulfilling
what's required of you BY LAW.

So, 0/10.

huge

Aug 12, 2010, 6:14:26 PM8/12/10

All good responses. Of course, the basic response to every one of these
is that not a single *one* of them addresses the basic question of the
atheist versus the theist: Do any gods, in *fact* exist?

And if the answer to that question should be negative (it is negative)
then his whole article amounts to saying that we should *pretend* a god
exists, even though it does not, so that we can all be nice people.

This is the basic idiocy of the theist fundy.

--
Not on my time you don't.

Scott Balneaves

Aug 12, 2010, 7:29:43 PM8/12/10

Coming up with hard, testable, repeatable, incontrivertable evidence that
a God or Gods do in fact exist would be the one way that I could think of
that might make some atheists cry.

But short of that...

skye...@yahoo.com

Aug 12, 2010, 7:42:55 PM8/12/10
On Aug 11, 7:31 am, Sound of Trumpet <soundoftrum...@post.com> wrote:
> Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry

<Snip silliness>

Hey, SoT, have you come up with any objective, verifiable evidence
that a god actually exists?

Brenda Nelson, A.A.#34
BAAWA Knight
EAC Professor of Feline Thermometrics and Cat-Herding
skyeyes nine at cox dot net OR
skyeyes nine at yahoo dot com

JohnN

Aug 12, 2010, 7:56:23 PM8/12/10
On Aug 11, 10:31 am, Sound of Trumpet <soundoftrum...@post.com> wrote:
> Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry

You copied/pasted all ten items! I bet Wiker is so proud of you.

JohnN

Michael Price

Aug 12, 2010, 8:22:57 PM8/12/10
On Aug 12, 12:31 am, Sound of Trumpet <soundoftrum...@post.com> wrote:
> Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry
>
> Human Events ^ | 07/11/2010 | Benjamin Wiker
>
> Posted on 12 July 2010 19:20:55 by SeekAndFind
>
> 1. Discuss the Fermi Paradox. Atheists love aliens because they always
> assume that, a) brainy creatures gushing out of every galactic cranny
> shows that Earth is low-rent cosmic real estate,

I've never met an athiest that assumes that.

> and b) the smartest aliens will be atheists.

Well surely you're not saying they'd be Christians are you? Because
if people go to hell for not believing in Christ and the Word didn't
get
off earth?

> Against this giddy optimism, the famous
> physicist Enrico Fermi asked a quite innocent question: If Earth is a
> typical planet, and there are lots of planets in the universe, then
> why haven’t any extraterrestrial critters dropped by, or even sent us
> a text message (“ur nt solo, n btw ur nt vry smrt”)?

And the athiest will usually examine the question with reason and
evidence
not sky-fairy "logic".

> 2. Join Mensa. Atheists are obsessed with their IQs

Really? I've never met an athiest obsessed with his or her IQ.
Surely your God wants you to know and love people not make
snap judgements on them based on a single quality. Oh wait,
maybe he doesn't.

> and they love to
> flaunt their membership in an organization of people dedicated to self-
> congratulation. The atheist assumption is that religion is a sure sign
> of evolutionary atavism. A devout believer whipping out his Mensa card
> is entirely incomprehensible and ultimately indigestible.

If the logic you present here is an example you're not getting into
Mensa.
It's a wonder you got out of middle school.

> 3. Bait and Switch # 1. Atheists love to talk about the Spanish
> Inquisition. Get them, ever so casually, to talk about persecution by
> zealous believers in general, and then the persecution by zealous
> Marxists in particular. Finally, since atheists like math, have them
> compare the number killed by the Inquisition over several centuries
> (2,000-6,000) with the number killed by devout Marxists in one century
> (100,000,000).
>

> 4. Bait and Switch # 2. Despite their pretence to moral relativity,

Right, because Ayn Rand was all about moral relativity. Or Stefan
Molyneux or any of dozens of other athiest philosophers. Note of
course that God demands moral relativity in almost all religions, and
when he doesn't his preachers do. .

> atheists will still grant that Adolf Hitler was epically evil. Having
> gotten them to admit this point, offer to read aloud some of the most
> offending passages from Mein Kamp (a special copy of which you just
> happened to be carrying). After about a half-hour, suddenly strike a
> quizzical look and say, “Wait a minute,” removing the dust jacket,
> “How did that happen? This is my copy of Margaret Sanger’s The Pivot
> of Civilization! Say, wasn’t she the founder of Planned Parenthood?”

Yeah, how did you confuse the writings of an athiest for one of a
staunch
Roman Catholic? Gee I guess athiesm or lack of it isn't the moral
indicator
you like to pretend.

> 5. Learn to talk like William F. Buckley. A comfortable prejudice for
> American atheists is that religious believers all speak with a heavy
> Southern accent and use small words.

Right, because we've never heard of the Amish, Orthodox Jews, WASPs,
or any of the thousands

> 6. Have Lots of Children. Atheists love humanity as long as there is
> less of it.

Wow, stereotype much? The attitude of athiests to population covers
the spectrum from "Oh no we're all going to starve!" to "Get preggers
now,
we need the economies of scale".

> They are especially grieved by biologically prodigious
> believers who seem to be taking Darwin at his word, but for all the
> wrong reasons.

Darwin never said that breeding a lot was advisable or moral, he
simply
said that organisms that do it will come to dominate.

> Nothing is more irksome than to behold their own future
> self-imposed extinction amidst the swelling tide of the God-fearing.
>

> 7. Host a Darwin Read-a-loud. Invite some atheist friends to read and
> discuss Darwin, and then read some purple passages from his Descent of
> Man where he waxes eloquently on the importance of eugenics, the
> biologically based moral and intellectual inferiority of “lesser
> races,” and the inevitable evolutionary extermination of the “negro”
> and the “Australian.”

Note the total lack of both relevance and cites.

> 8. Talk about the Impending Crash of the World Economy. Ideas have
> consequences, and some of the worst economic ideas were hatched by
> John Maynard Keynes.

Yeah and you know what a lot of athiests hate him. Libertarians
tend to be
athiests and libertarians HATE Keynes.

> Make clear to your atheist interlocutor that the
> wide-scale adoption of Keynes’ conception of government as the grand
> fiddler micromanaging the economy through narcotic stimulation with
> freshly printed money is the single most important cause of the
> current American and European financial implosion. Then mention ever-
> so-casually, “Wasn’t Keynes an atheist?”

Oh wow, so because one bad person was an athiest that makes all
athiests bad! Gee wasn't there at least one bad thiest? So doesn't
that make everyone bad?

> 9. Stage a Nietzsche Practicum. Atheists love the nihilistic
> philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche who famously declared “God is dead.”
> More exactly, they love it in theory, but invariably cringe at the
> practical implications Nietzsche quite logically drew out: without
> God, there is no moral order and the strong should devour the weak,
> for “life itself is will to power.” Invite your favorite atheist to
> meet you for lunch to discuss Nietzsche. Order the most expensive meal
> on the menu, steal his iPhone while he’s in the bathroom, and then at
> the end, stick him with the check. Then on the way out snatch the keys
> to his Saab and speed away in it singing at full lung, “I love
> Nietzsche! He’s really rather peachy. A world devoid of moral qualms
> is far more fuuunnnn…than one that’s preachy teachy!”

Then when he beats the living shit out of you and points out, as
you're
bleeding that Nietzshe only believed this because he bought the theist
rubbish that God is the source of morality, reflect on how even highly
intelligent people are stupid when they listen to thiests.

> 10. Assault Them with Charity (cont’d. from No. 9). Drive around the
> block to the restaurant again, and pull up to your fuming atheist
> friend. After returning the keys to his Saab and his iPhone, and
> shelling out your share of the tab, say “I just can’t bring myself to
> act as if God doesn’t exist.” Then, forever after treat him with
> unfailing kindness, as if he were Indian Untouchable and you were
> Mother Teresa.

What, deny him medical care, have him attended by untrained
nuns who can't even lift tuberculosis patients without causing them
massive unnecessary pain? Hey keep the car and the iPhone, anything
but that.

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----
>
> Benjamin Wiker is the author of 10 Books Every Conservative Must Read:
> Plus Four Not to Miss and One Impostor (one of the books being C. S.
> Lewis’ The Abolition of Man), and 10 Books that Screwed Up the World.
> His website iswww.ameaningfulworldaudio.com

Howard Brazee

Aug 12, 2010, 8:37:45 PM8/12/10
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:14:26 -0500, huge <hu...@operamail.com> wrote:

>All good responses. Of course, the basic response to every one of these
>is that not a single *one* of them addresses the basic question of the
>atheist versus the theist: Do any gods, in *fact* exist?
>
>And if the answer to that question should be negative (it is negative)
>then his whole article amounts to saying that we should *pretend* a god
>exists, even though it does not, so that we can all be nice people.
>
>This is the basic idiocy of the theist fundy.

In this kind of discussion, I haven't ever heard the theist explain
why I should believe *his* god created the universe, as opposed , say
Brahma.

- James Madison

Howard Brazee

Aug 12, 2010, 8:42:46 PM8/12/10
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:29:43 +0000 (UTC), Scott Balneaves
<sbal...@alburg.net> wrote:

>Coming up with hard, testable, repeatable, incontrivertable evidence that
>a God or Gods do in fact exist would be the one way that I could think of
>that might make some atheists cry.

Or theists cry. The assumption being that being wrong will make
people cry (Would you cry if you found such evidence that Santa Claus
did in fact exist?).

But let's say we had such evidence that the gods of Olympus do in fact
exist. Who would be more likely to be upset - the theists in this
thread, or the atheists?

D.F. Manno

Aug 12, 2010, 9:39:56 PM8/12/10
In article
<9b2a0332-d6de-47d3...@k10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,

Sound of Trumpet <soundof...@post.com> wrote:

<religious drivel snipped>

> Benjamin Wiker is the author of 10 Books Every Conservative Must Read:
> Plus Four Not to Miss and One Impostor (one of the books being C. S.

> Lewisš The Abolition of Man), and 10 Books that Screwed Up the World.

If Mr. Wiker's books aren't included in that last one, someone should
sue for false advertising.

--
D.F. Manno
dfm...@mail.com

W.T.S.

Aug 13, 2010, 4:47:36 AM8/13/10
wrote in message

On Aug 11, 7:31?am, Sound of Trumpet <soundoftrum...@post.com> wrote:
> Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry

<Snip silliness>

Hey, SoT, have you come up with any objective, verifiable evidence
that a god actually exists?

No, and Sot never will. There is none.
God, lie. Atheism, truth.
----------------------------- http://folding.stanford.edu Save lives, visit
today!

Howard Brazee

Aug 13, 2010, 7:52:02 AM8/13/10
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:22:57 -0700 (PDT), Michael Price
<nini...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> 2. Join Mensa. Atheists are obsessed with their IQs
>
> Really? I've never met an athiest obsessed with his or her IQ.
>Surely your God wants you to know and love people not make
>snap judgements on them based on a single quality. Oh wait,
>maybe he doesn't.

One famous one who admits to not having a high IQ is Penn Jillette.

Jimbo

Aug 13, 2010, 8:09:12 AM8/13/10
On Aug 12, 7:29 pm, Scott Balneaves <sbaln...@alburg.net> wrote:

> [...]

> >> strict adherance to Biblical economic theory.

> >> Hmm, I believe both the Bible, and most countries tend to have thoughts on
> >> theft.  Not sure where you're living.

> >> Well, seeing as how you're simply returning what you stole, and paying for your
> >> portion of the cheque, you're not actually doing anything kind, only fulfilling
> >> what's required of you BY LAW.
>
> >> So, 0/10.
>
> > All good responses.  Of course, the basic response to every one of these
> > is that not a single *one* of  them addresses the basic question of the
> > atheist versus the theist:  Do any gods, in *fact* exist?
>
> Coming up with hard, testable, repeatable, incontrivertable evidence that
> a God or Gods do in fact exist would be the one way that I could think of
> that might make some atheists cry.
>
> But short of that...- Hide quoted text -

Actually, that wouldn't make this atheist cry. Indeed, I would be
happy to finally have the question answered. Of course, then the
question of the exact nature of this god or god(s) would need to be
discovered, and since I place no faith in the man written bible, nor
other religious texts, I would say that a lot of research would still
be needed.

michael roegner

Aug 14, 2010, 10:13:43 PM8/14/10
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 03:47:36 -0500, "W.T.S." <m1...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>God, lie. Atheism, truth.

I'd have to disagree - I believe that it's more along the lines of:

God: Conjecture. Atheism: Conjecture.

Theists believe in God because they want an all-powerful being to
judge them, define the rules by which they live, and accept ultimate
responsibiltiy for their actions.

Atheists deny the existence of God because they're afraid of
exactly the same things.

Neither one of them really has any evidentiary basis for their
beliefs.

Paul Ciszek

Aug 15, 2010, 5:51:52 AM8/15/10

In article <qqie66p6di56dkpa7...@4ax.com>,

michael roegner <mroe...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I'd have to disagree - I believe that it's more along the lines of:
>
>God: Conjecture. Atheism: Conjecture.
>
> Theists believe in God because they want an all-powerful being to
>judge them, define the rules by which they live, and accept ultimate
>responsibiltiy for their actions.
>
> Atheists deny the existence of God because they're afraid of
>exactly the same things.
>
> Neither one of them really has any evidentiary basis for their
>beliefs.

Do you believe in invisible pink unicorns? If you do not, do you
have any evidentiary basis for your lack of belief?

An atheist is someone who lacks a belief in God in the same way
that most people lack a belief in invisible pink unicorns.

--
Please reply to: | "The anti-regulation business ethos is based on
pciszek at panix dot com | the charmingly naive notion that people will not

Howard Brazee

Aug 15, 2010, 7:49:13 AM8/15/10
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 20:13:43 -0600, michael roegner
<mroe...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Theists believe in God because they want an all-powerful being to
>judge them, define the rules by which they live, and accept ultimate
>responsibiltiy for their actions.

Some do. But there is a trend these days for a great many of people
who believe spirituality is the important thing. For these people,
it doesn't matter what religion you believe in - as long as you
believe in a religion. To someone who believes that everybody who
doesn't believe exactly the same as I do will be tortured forever and
ever - this doesn't make sense.

> Atheists deny the existence of God because they're afraid of
>exactly the same things.

Some do. Others are atheists without such a fear.

Pretend you were brought up with Greek mythology as your religion.
You travel to the top of Mount Olympus and see mountain and come to
the belief that your religion was just stories. Does fear enter
into that enlightenment?

Howard Brazee

Aug 15, 2010, 7:50:28 AM8/15/10
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:51:52 +0000 (UTC), nos...@nospam.com (Paul
Ciszek) wrote:

>Do you believe in invisible pink unicorns? If you do not, do you
>have any evidentiary basis for your lack of belief?
>
>An atheist is someone who lacks a belief in God in the same way
>that most people lack a belief in invisible pink unicorns.

I have the superpower enabling me to see invisible pink unicorns, and
I can state that there aren't any.

Norm D. Plumber

Aug 15, 2010, 8:19:18 AM8/15/10
Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 20:13:43 -0600, michael roegner
><mroe...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> Theists believe in God because they want an all-powerful being to
>>judge them, define the rules by which they live, and accept ultimate
>>responsibiltiy for their actions.
>
>Some do. But there is a trend these days for a great many of people
>who believe spirituality is the important thing. For these people,
>it doesn't matter what religion you believe in - as long as you
>believe in a religion. To someone who believes that everybody who
>doesn't believe exactly the same as I do will be tortured forever and
>ever - this doesn't make sense.
>
>> Atheists deny the existence of God because they're afraid of
>>exactly the same things.
>
>Some do. Others are atheists without such a fear.
>
>Pretend you were brought up with Greek mythology as your religion.
>You travel to the top of Mount Olympus and see mountain and come to
>the belief that your religion was just stories. Does fear enter
>into that enlightenment?

Maybe, the idea that your parents were so gullible that they believed
without bothering to look could be somewhat scary.

--
Oh please Brer Murphy, whatever you do, please don't throw me into the briar patch.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Aug 15, 2010, 9:50:43 AM8/15/10
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:51:52 +0000 (UTC), nos...@nospam.com (Paul
> Ciszek) wrote:
>
>> Do you believe in invisible pink unicorns? If you do not, do you
>> have any evidentiary basis for your lack of belief?
>>
>> An atheist is someone who lacks a belief in God in the same way
>> that most people lack a belief in invisible pink unicorns.
>
> I have the superpower enabling me to see invisible pink unicorns, and
> I can state that there aren't any.

They've become VERY good at hiding.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Quadibloc

Aug 15, 2010, 12:15:16 PM8/15/10
On Aug 15, 5:49 am, Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net> wrote:

> Pretend you were brought up with  Greek mythology as your religion.
> You travel to the top of Mount Olympus

Why, then you understand that Mount Olympus was just a symbol for how
high the realm of the gods is above the realm of men, and transmute
your belief to something like the Christian idea of Heaven.

True Belief, like true love, is hard to shake.

John Savard

Wayne Throop

Aug 15, 2010, 2:52:45 PM8/15/10
:: I have the superpower enabling me to see invisible pink unicorns, and

:: I can state that there aren't any.

: They've become VERY good at hiding.

Indeed. They think it's hilarious to follow people with that
superpower around, and stay just behind them, dodging back out of
line of sight when they turn their heads. Of course, something as
unweildy as a horse-like unicorn would normally not be able to dodge
without giving itself away, but in this case, they are massless,
and their hooves make no sound, so they can dodge fast and stealthy.

Probably the only way to catch them at it would be to have at least
*two* people with the superpower face-to-face.

ObSfXref: in Jumper, Griffin's Story, the Paladins routinely fight
in groups of three, but *facing* *each* *other*, since otherwise
a jumper might get in their blind spot if they were all facing out.

Wayne Throop thr...@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw

michael roegner

Aug 16, 2010, 12:06:26 AM8/16/10
Ciszek) wrote:

>Do you believe in invisible pink unicorns? If you do not, do you
>have any evidentiary basis for your lack of belief?
>
>An atheist is someone who lacks a belief in God in the same way
>that most people lack a belief in invisible pink unicorns.

I haven't seen anything to make be believe in invisible pink unicorns,
but I'm open to the possibility.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of
in your philosophy.

Your rhetoric will have to be a hell of a lot better than that to win
this one.

Edward A. Falk

Aug 16, 2010, 8:14:13 PM8/16/10
In article <vhv5661ngqgmr02kk...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:

>>Current best estimate is that the witch hunts alone killed 50,000
>
>No, that is NOT the current best estimate; it's a high estimate by
>people with an axe to grind. There were thousands, but probably not
>50,000. I don't have a different "best estimate" to offer because
>there just isn't good data.

Estimates used to be much higher, but lately historians have been
digging through actual trial transcripts, census reports, etc.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt
--
-Ed Falk, fa...@despams.r.us.com
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

Louann Miller

Aug 21, 2010, 12:24:48 PM8/21/10
"skye...@yahoo.com" <skye...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:e0d30ba5-dc86-4c16-
948f-5f5...@g6g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

> On Aug 11, 7:31 am, Sound of Trumpet <soundoftrum...@post.com> wrote:
>> Ten Ways to Make Atheists Cry
>
> <Snip silliness>
>
> Hey, SoT, have you come up with any objective, verifiable evidence
> that a god actually exists?

He knows that gods don't exist. That's why he keeps posting to r.a.sf.w
about them.

thoran...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2015, 5:03:35 AM12/18/15
1 That's a lot of words for "Duh, how come aliens haven't visited us yet?" I'm honestly curious why you even bothered naming ir or adding all that other crap.

2 lol good luck with that, people who think Evolution and the Big Bang are the same thing.

3 that seems like a lot off effort just to get us to say "ATHEISM AND COMMUNISM ARE NOT THE SAME THING YOU FUCKTARD!"

4 that... WtF???
A) philosophy is actually the subject Atheists disagree on more than anything.
b) i myself and a humanist, and I think"moral relativity" and "moral objectivism" is stupid. So what "pretence" are you talking about?
C) What Atheist has the patience to listen to Theist quite mine for half an hour without interuption??!!
D) You know we're just gonna interperet that as dishonest, right? We'll add that to the list of reasons Religion is evil.
E) Yes the founder of Plannned Parenthood was racist. And MTV used to have music videos. What's your point?
F)Is it racist NOW? Do they deny black people abortions? do you want them to? If so, wouldn't THAT be racist?
G) in general, it's downright baffling when conservatives claim ideas typically accepted by Liberal "lead to racism. Of course, whenever we call the out on that, they allways claim we "aren't truely following what we believe" which is just bullshit. And... well I'll save my rant about Theists arguing for and against the same thing at the same time. I got a feeling it's coming up.

5 Ah yes. Pretending to be smart is MUCH better than actually being smart.

6 That's horrible! And irresponsible! And.... you would put your wife and your kids through all that and fuck up the planet just to make a point to us? Also, you JUST advised your fellow Theists to try to seem less redneck.

7 You have to judge historical figures by the standards of their time, otherwise "he was racist" becomes completely meaningless. Song of the South was extremely progressive at the time, Star Trek TOS is kind of sexist and racist by today's standards but downright radical at the time. And what WAS the standard at the time? Well, he published the Origin of Species one year before the American Civil War, and Darwin was an abolitionist.

8 what the fuck has ANY of that got to do with anything? Also, you SERIOUSLY over-estimate our patience.

9 and... all that is supposed to convince us that Christians are good and we're evil?

10 You kNOW we won't forgive #9! Pulling all that shit just to make a point that we will in fact miss completely since you actually demonstrated the exact oposite point you intended is NOT funny.

Robert Carnegie

Dec 18, 2015, 6:24:28 AM12/18/15
Don't worry. You jumped into a conversation from the year 2010.

So, all of those people are dead.

(Okay, not all.)

Quadibloc

Dec 18, 2015, 2:19:35 PM12/18/15
On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 1:51:32 PM UTC-6, Mark K Bilbo wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:31:16 -0700, Sound of Trumpet wrote:

> > 6. Have Lots of Children.

> And be poor.

But he's right! This is one of the chief dysgenic constraints on human
evolution. By restricting the access of young girls to education, and
convincing them that only the religiously faithful will be willing to marry
them instead of exploiting them, and through other means, religious
traditionalists in Christianity *and other faiths* have managed to use sex as a
tool of mind control.

John Savard

David Johnston

Dec 18, 2015, 3:14:06 PM12/18/15
Irreligious people and rich people do not have better genes.

Kevrob

Dec 18, 2015, 3:15:35 PM12/18/15
From what I have read of development economics - and I am an amateur here,
relying on the likes of Julian Simon - FIRST you get wealthier, THEN average
family size goes down. Families do not need multiple spare children to
assure someone will take care of Ma and Pa in old age when there are secure
property rights, pensions, individual retirement funds and other savings.
Greater wealth correlates to lower infant mortality, so an "heir and a spare"
are much more likely to make it to their earning years than a small number
of offspring born in a poorer society.

Kevin R

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 18, 2015, 4:15:04 PM12/18/15
In article <074704b1-c53d-4214...@googlegroups.com>,
Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>From what I have read of development economics - and I am an amateur here,
>relying on the likes of Julian Simon - FIRST you get wealthier, THEN average
>family size goes down. Families do not need multiple spare children to
>assure someone will take care of Ma and Pa in old age when there are secure
>property rights, pensions, individual retirement funds and other savings.

Nor do they need lots of sons (it's almost always sons) to help
out on the family farm.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Kevrob

Dec 18, 2015, 4:34:12 PM12/18/15
On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 4:15:04 PM UTC-5, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <074704b1-c53d-4214...@googlegroups.com>,
> Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >
> >From what I have read of development economics - and I am an amateur here,
> >relying on the likes of Julian Simon - FIRST you get wealthier, THEN average
> >family size goes down. Families do not need multiple spare children to
> >assure someone will take care of Ma and Pa in old age when there are secure
> >property rights, pensions, individual retirement funds and other savings.
>
> Nor do they need lots of sons (it's almost always sons) to help
> out on the family farm.

Yes, and, certain instances of discarding or selling female children
aside, usually farm families found plenty of work for girl-children to
do, if they happened to have them.

Kevin R

John Halpenny

Dec 19, 2015, 6:01:35 PM12/19/15
On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 4:15:04 PM UTC-5, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <074704b1-c53d-4214...@googlegroups.com>,
> Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >
> >From what I have read of development economics - and I am an amateur here,
> >relying on the likes of Julian Simon - FIRST you get wealthier, THEN average
> >family size goes down. Families do not need multiple spare children to
> >assure someone will take care of Ma and Pa in old age when there are secure
> >property rights, pensions, individual retirement funds and other savings.
>
> Nor do they need lots of sons (it's almost always sons) to help
> out on the family farm.

Once you have more money, you have options such as school or jobs, which may be more attractive than just having more kids.

My father always maintained "University makes you sterile", and he had evidence to back him up. Of his six kids, three went to university and the other three immediately started families. My mother had two sisters with degrees and jobs who never married. Her mother had three sisters with degrees and no kids.

A few generations ago the entire Province of Quebec had two main career tracks for women: join a convent, often with free university and a job for life, or have a dozen kids. None of this "work-life balance" in those days.

John

Alie...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2015, 11:52:46 PM12/19/15
Still, it's a reason to celebrate the absence of Strumpet for lo, these many moons.

Mark L. Fergerson

Adamastor Glace Mortimer

Dec 23, 2015, 8:30:52 AM12/23/15