R.I.P. Helen Cavanagh, 76, in Feb. ("The Last Piper," 1996 - Edgar Award nominee)

leno...@yahoo.com

Jul 28, 2016, 5:32:50 PM7/28/16
She lived in Flemington, New Jersey.

She also wrote at least one adventure novel. While most of her books are romances, at least one romance includes a serious element - shoplifting.

http://rezemfh.com/tribute/details/1275/Helen-Cavanagh/obituary.html

First third:

Helen C. Hanninen Cavanagh died Monday, February 1, 2016 at home. She was 76.

Born in Quincy, MA, to the late Albert and Blanche Magnant Hanninen, she resided in Spotswood before moving to Flemington several years ago.

Prior to her retirement, she was an author and artist for many years, and had written several books. In addition, for many years she was a reporter with Greater Media Newspapers in East Brunswick...

http://www.njromancewriters.org/in-memoriam.html

Last paragraph:

...Helen's last two books were young adult novels published by Simon and Schuster. Panther Glade was published in 1993. The Last Piper was published in 1996. Helen promoted both titles vigorously, especially Panther Glade. She appeared at schools and libraries and kids' gatherings in the purple pith helmet she'd acquired specifically for those occasions. Because of her endless wit and charm she was always a big hit with young and old alike. Helen and Panther Glade were recognized by the American Library Association for her excellent storytelling.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/author/helen-cavanagh/
(reviews of her last two books)

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/739325.Helen_Cavanagh
(reader reviews and covers)

https://mondomolly.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/superflirt-by-helen-cavanagh/
(blog entry on "Superflirt")

https://cliqueypizza.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/80s-wildfire-teen-romances-ultimate-page-80s-book-covers-descriptions/#comment-14084
(this has descriptions of five of her romances, plus a few comments from Cavanagh herself - to see her book covers, look for books 5, 19, 21, 35, 64)

Main comment, from March 2015 (at the bottom):

"...At age 75, I’m doing far more Art than writing. My favorite medium now is decoupage, on canvas, on furniture, boxes, etc.. Previously, I preferred to do large oil on canvas works but I had some health problems which prevents me from standing at an easel.

"My last two novels were hardcovers, for Simon & Schuster: Panther Glade, and the Last Piper. (Piper was a runner-up for the Edgar Allan Poe Award from Mystery Writers in 1997.)

"Anyone on Facebook can take a peek at some of my Art. I recently posted quite a
few…sort of messily, I must add.–Still learning."

WRITINGS:

Second Best, 1979.
Honey , 1979.

Superflirt, 1980.
The Easiest Way, 1980.
A Place for Me, 1981.
Angel, 1981.
Just a Summer Girl, 1982.
Kiss and Tell, 1984.
The Candy Papers, 1985.

Panther Glade, Simon & Schuster (New York, NY), 1993.
("While spending the summer with his great-aunt Cait, Bill participates in his aunt's archaeological dig and must face the wilderness alone when a storm strands him on a small island.")

Call It Paradise, 1995.

The Last Piper, Simon & Schuster (New York, NY), 1996.
("While on a business trip to Scotland with his mother and his sister, Mikey discovers that he is very familiar with the land and begins to think that he had somehow lived there before in a previous life, possibly as Firth Lauder, a man put to death fifty years earlier.")

Lenona.