Visitors !

Lynn McGuire

Aug 26, 2016, 1:39:19 PM8/26/16
Visitors !
http://www.alicegrove.com/image/149485414154

I am not sure about the guy in the bow tie.

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Aug 26, 2016, 1:40:35 PM8/26/16
And why is there a guy holding a large mirror ??? on the steam wagon ?

Lynn

TB

Aug 26, 2016, 2:10:57 PM8/26/16
I don't get the joke.

Lynn McGuire

Aug 26, 2016, 2:28:03 PM8/26/16
This webcomic is not a funny series but an action series. It is set in the year 10,000 ??? AD and there are people living on the
planet surface and in orbit. There was a huge war and something happened called "The Blink". The war machines disappeared.

There are "people" with super powers who are immortals whom I do not understand. I am beginning to wonder if they are robots /
created beings. Alice is one of these.

The comic is at
http://www.alicegrove.com/
but the first comic is at
http://www.alicegrove.com/page/166
and continuously changing.

Lynn

Alie...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2016, 3:48:59 PM8/26/16
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 11:28:03 AM UTC-7, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 8/26/2016 1:10 PM, TB wrote:
> > On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 10:39:19 AM UTC-7, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >> Visitors !
> >> http://www.alicegrove.com/image/149485414154
> >>
> >> I am not sure about the guy in the bow tie.
> >>
> >> Lynn
> >
> > I don't get the joke.
>
> This webcomic is not a funny series but an action series. It is set in the
> year 10,000 ??? AD and there are people living on the planet surface and in
> orbit. There was a huge war and something happened called "The Blink". The
> war machines disappeared.
>
> There are "people" with super powers who are immortals whom I do not
> understand. I am beginning to wonder if they are robots /
> created beings. Alice is one of these.

Some day, somebody's gonna hafta 'splain why Trump copied her hairdo.

*I* sure don't want to be the one who tells her.

Mark L. Fergerson

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 26, 2016, 6:45:04 PM8/26/16
In article <e9299865-afbb-4ba5...@googlegroups.com>,
Well, he's just appeared out of nowhere (in a flashback from "two
weeks ago") and we don't know (a) how he knew about the visitors
from orbit, or (b) what his intentions for them are. I don't
think it's a joke, I think it's a plot element.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Lynn McGuire

Aug 26, 2016, 6:57:09 PM8/26/16
On 8/26/2016 5:43 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <e9299865-afbb-4ba5...@googlegroups.com>,
> TB <tsbr...@dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
>> On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 10:39:19 AM UTC-7, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> Visitors !
>>> http://www.alicegrove.com/image/149485414154
>>>
>>> I am not sure about the guy in the bow tie.
>>>
>>> Lynn
>>
>> I don't get the joke.
>
> Well, he's just appeared out of nowhere (in a flashback from "two
> weeks ago") and we don't know (a) how he knew about the visitors
> from orbit, or (b) what his intentions for them are. I don't
> think it's a joke, I think it's a plot element.

I think that he is the male version of Alice. Only not as nice.

Lynn

David Johnston

Aug 26, 2016, 7:04:05 PM8/26/16
On 8/26/2016 4:43 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <e9299865-afbb-4ba5...@googlegroups.com>,
> TB <tsbr...@dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
>> On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 10:39:19 AM UTC-7, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> Visitors !
>>> http://www.alicegrove.com/image/149485414154
>>>
>>> I am not sure about the guy in the bow tie.
>>>
>>> Lynn
>>
>> I don't get the joke.
>
> Well, he's just appeared out of nowhere (in a flashback from "two
> weeks ago") and we don't know (a) how he knew about the visitors
> from orbit,

We actually do know that. He has a network of spies in the countryside.
Their effectiveness suggest that he has radio technology.

Robert Carnegie

Aug 27, 2016, 9:52:09 AM8/27/16
ObTVSF: Bow ties are cool.

(Only, this guy is perhaps rather short to be a caretaker?)

James Nicoll

Aug 27, 2016, 1:01:05 PM8/27/16
In article <nppuuh$qij$2...@dont-email.me>,
Huh. I just archive binged Alice Grove immediately after finishing all
14 volumes of YKK. They're similar but not similar...
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
http://www.cafepress.com/jdnicoll (For all your "The problem with
defending the English language [...]" T-shirt, cup and tote-bag needs)

William December Starr

Aug 27, 2016, 5:02:11 PM8/27/16
In article <npsh0e$i9f$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) said:

> Huh. I just archive binged Alice Grove immediately after finishing
> all 14 volumes of YKK. They're similar but not similar...

What's YKK?

-- wds

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Aug 27, 2016, 5:15:43 PM8/27/16
On 27 Aug 2016 17:02:09 -0400, wds...@panix.com (William December
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, or Record of a Yokohama Shopping Trip, by
Hitoshi Ashinano. It's a lovely comic about a lone android who runs a
coffee shop after some cataclysm that has cause most of the human race
to disappear, and everything is winding down gently in a pastoral way.

You can read the whole thing illegitimately (there's no legit English
translation, but it's collected in the original Japanese if you like to
pay your way) at http://bato.to/reader#67109dc0c63f8630_1 though you
need to sign up for an account, which only takes a moment.

Totally worth it if you read comics at all and like Simakian/Vancean
stuff done in a Japanese style.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Never sleep with anyone crazier than you are.

James Nicoll

Aug 27, 2016, 5:38:34 PM8/27/16
In article <npsv4h$1fg$1...@panix3.panix.com>,
Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko by Hitoshi Ashinano

It's about an immortal robot who runs a cafe in an out of the way
town, during The Era of the Calm Evening, which will be followed
by The Night of Humanity, which is to say during the period when
humans were dwindling away and not when they are extinct (or very
nearly extinct). It is all very calm and gentle; nobody seems all
that concerned that human affairs are winding down.

James Nicoll

Aug 27, 2016, 5:39:50 PM8/27/16
In article <he04sbhdevqnuiknd...@4ax.com>,
Vancian? I always expect a certain level of mean spiritedness in Vance
that I don't see in YKK.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Aug 27, 2016, 5:42:20 PM8/27/16
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 21:39:48 +0000 (UTC), jdni...@panix.com (James
Nicoll) wrote:

>In article <he04sbhdevqnuiknd...@4ax.com>,
>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>>On 27 Aug 2016 17:02:09 -0400, wds...@panix.com (William December
>>Starr) wrote:

>>>What's YKK?
>>
>>Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, or Record of a Yokohama Shopping Trip, by
>>Hitoshi Ashinano. It's a lovely comic about a lone android who runs a
>>coffee shop after some cataclysm that has cause most of the human race
>>to disappear, and everything is winding down gently in a pastoral way.
>>
>>You can read the whole thing illegitimately (there's no legit English
>>translation, but it's collected in the original Japanese if you like to
>>pay your way) at http://bato.to/reader#67109dc0c63f8630_1 though you
>>need to sign up for an account, which only takes a moment.
>>
>>Totally worth it if you read comics at all and like Simakian/Vancean
>>stuff done in a Japanese style.
>>

>Vancian? I always expect a certain level of mean spiritedness in Vance
>that I don't see in YKK.

True enough. I've been reading more Matt Hughes than Vance in the last
decade, and I think his own less malicious Vance-like style has knocked
the hard edges off my memory of actual Vance.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
#include "clue.h"

David Johnston

Aug 27, 2016, 5:53:42 PM8/27/16
On 8/27/2016 3:15 PM, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 27 Aug 2016 17:02:09 -0400, wds...@panix.com (William December
> Starr) wrote:
>
>> In article <npsh0e$i9f$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
>> jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) said:
>>
>>> Huh. I just archive binged Alice Grove immediately after finishing
>>> all 14 volumes of YKK. They're similar but not similar...
>>
>> What's YKK?
>
> Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, or Record of a Yokohama Shopping Trip, by
> Hitoshi Ashinano. It's a lovely comic about a lone android who runs a
> coffee shop after some cataclysm that has cause most of the human race
> to disappear, and everything is winding down gently in a pastoral way.

That trend in Japanese science fiction is a weird one.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Aug 27, 2016, 6:32:03 PM8/27/16
Fascinating cultural differences. I vastly prefer it to the American
post-apocalyptic survivalist stuff, or this long-lasting fad for
dystopian teens-vs-the world novels.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Isn't it funny how much mature wisdom resembles being too tired to bother?

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Aug 27, 2016, 7:49:17 PM8/27/16
In article <npt254$25l$2...@dont-email.me>,
Isn't Japan winding down gently? Birthrate is 1.41 and median age is 46.5..
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Cryptoengineer

Aug 27, 2016, 8:30:45 PM8/27/16
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in news:npt18o$aru$1
@reader2.panix.com:

> In article <npsv4h$1fg$1...@panix3.panix.com>,
> William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> wrote:
>>In article <npsh0e$i9f$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
>>jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) said:
>>
>>> Huh. I just archive binged Alice Grove immediately after finishing
>>> all 14 volumes of YKK. They're similar but not similar...
>>
>>What's YKK?
>>

> Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko by Hitoshi Ashinano
>
> It's about an immortal robot who runs a cafe in an out of the way
> town, during The Era of the Calm Evening, which will be followed
> by The Night of Humanity, which is to say during the period when
> humans were dwindling away and not when they are extinct (or very
> nearly extinct). It is all very calm and gentle; nobody seems all
> that concerned that human affairs are winding down.

To me, YKK is a Japanese company with a near-global monopoly
on the manufacture of zippers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YKK

Check your fly. You're probably wearing one.

pt

James Nicoll

Aug 27, 2016, 11:51:49 PM8/27/16
In article <npt254$25l$2...@dont-email.me>,
David Johnston <Davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Beats yet another story about how if the lights ever flicker, panicky
mobs will run into the streets and start killing each other.

J. Clarke

Aug 28, 2016, 12:08:41 AM8/28/16
In article <nptn4j$jc6$1...@reader2.panix.com>, jdni...@panix.com says...

> In article <npt254$25l$2...@dont-email.me>,
> David Johnston <Davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On 8/27/2016 3:15 PM, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

> >> Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, or Record of a Yokohama Shopping Trip, by
> >> Hitoshi Ashinano. It's a lovely comic about a lone android who runs a
> >> coffee shop after some cataclysm that has cause most of the human race
> >> to disappear, and everything is winding down gently in a pastoral way.
> >>

> >That trend in Japanese science fiction is a weird one.
> >

> Beats yet another story about how if the lights ever flicker, panicky
> mobs will run into the streets and start killing each other.

A difference between Japanese and American authors is that there are
Japanese who have experienced post-Apocalyptic society.

James Nicoll

Aug 28, 2016, 10:47:47 AM8/28/16
In article <MPG.322c2db8d...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Various Americans have experienced local apocalypses. Generally the
embracing the my neighbors are monsters model makes disasters worse.

(An review is of A Paradise Built in Hell, which is all about
how people react to calamity)

James Nicoll

Aug 28, 2016, 10:52:19 AM8/28/16
In article <nputig$bkf$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
WHERE DID "upcoming" GO?

Anyway, it's interesting to c&c how people react to disasters in books
and movies to how they handle them in real life. In real life, in 2003
when the Americans killed the power grid and then, as is their custom,
tried to blame Canada, the first reaction to the blackout around here
was to for people to step into intersections and play traffic warden.
If it had been a movie called BLACKOUT! people would have been making
seatcovers out of each other five minutes after the lights went out.

William December Starr

Aug 28, 2016, 12:45:20 PM8/28/16
In article <nptn4j$jc6$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) said:

> David Johnston <Davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> That trend in Japanese science fiction is a weird one.
>
> Beats yet another story about how if the lights ever flicker,
> panicky mobs will run into the streets and start killing each
> other.

But enough about "Nightfall."

-- wds (except that those morons didn't even _have_ lights, of course)

TB

Aug 28, 2016, 1:26:05 PM8/28/16
On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 8:51:49 PM UTC-7, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <npt254$25l$2...@dont-email.me>,
> David Johnston <Davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On 8/27/2016 3:15 PM, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

> >> Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, or Record of a Yokohama Shopping Trip, by
> >> Hitoshi Ashinano. It's a lovely comic about a lone android who runs a
> >> coffee shop after some cataclysm that has cause most of the human race
> >> to disappear, and everything is winding down gently in a pastoral way.
> >>

> >That trend in Japanese science fiction is a weird one.
> >

> Beats yet another story about how if the lights ever flicker, panicky
> mobs will run into the streets and start killing each other.

Nightfall by Isaac Asimov?

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Aug 28, 2016, 2:43:22 PM8/28/16
On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 14:52:17 +0000 (UTC), jdni...@panix.com (James
Nicoll) wrote:

>Anyway, it's interesting to c&c how people react to disasters in books
>and movies to how they handle them in real life.

Charlie Stross has a blog post up about this just now - he's having to
rewrite the next Laundry Files book significantly because it includes
the UK government reacting crazily to an 'outside context problem' (tm
Iain Banks, I think?).

But then we had the Brexit result, and the actual government reacted to
the surprise *even more stupidly and pathetically with much flailing and
wailing*. So clearly the story version needed a rewrite, else it'll be
completely unbelievable.

Full story at
http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2016/08/reality-is-broken-1.html

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"It's made of people?"
"There's already a drink like that - Soylent Cola."

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 28, 2016, 4:00:09 PM8/28/16
In article <nputr1$96s$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
There was a certain amount of looting in the *second* blackout,
IIRC.

David DeLaney

Aug 29, 2016, 12:49:58 AM8/29/16
On 2016-08-28, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>>(An review is of A Paradise Built in Hell, which is all about
>>how people react to calamity)
>
> WHERE DID "upcoming" GO?

Obviously, it downwented.

> Anyway, it's interesting to c&c how people react to disasters in books
> and movies to how they handle them in real life. In real life, in 2003
> when the Americans killed the power grid and then, as is their custom,
> tried to blame Canada, the first reaction to the blackout around here
> was to for people to step into intersections and play traffic warden.
> If it had been a movie called BLACKOUT! people would have been making
> seatcovers out of each other five minutes after the lights went out.

Yep. Power outages in my area are not treated as "OMG MUST GRAB SURVIVAL BAG,
JUMP INTO JEEP, AND HEAD FOR MOUNTAINS" even with the proportion of
survivalists & gun nuts locally. Wonder why?

Dave, maybe they know the first one there has to play King of the Hill?
website on VIC is down, probably for good - oh well/ I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Gene Wirchenko

Aug 30, 2016, 7:06:08 PM8/30/16
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 22:15:39 +0100, Jaimie Vandenbergh
<jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

>On 27 Aug 2016 17:02:09 -0400, wds...@panix.com (William December
>Starr) wrote:
>
>>In article <npsh0e$i9f$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
>>jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) said:
>>
>>> Huh. I just archive binged Alice Grove immediately after finishing
>>> all 14 volumes of YKK. They're similar but not similar...
>>
>>What's YKK?
>
>Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, or Record of a Yokohama Shopping Trip, by
>Hitoshi Ashinano. It's a lovely comic about a lone android who runs a
>coffee shop after some cataclysm that has cause most of the human race
>to disappear, and everything is winding down gently in a pastoral way.

Another Japanese expansion is covered in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YKK_Group
You may have seen this "YKK" on zippers.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenkko

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Sep 1, 2016, 8:32:10 PM9/1/16
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:06:03 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <ge...@telus.net>
wrote:
Fully aware. Used context to select appropriate YKK. Zipper YKK has far
more monotonous storyline, not recommended for reading purposes.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Anyone who has had a bull by the tail knows five or six
more things than someone who hasn't. -- Mark Twain