[OT] Why You Can't Find "Song of the South" on DVD (Charlottesville)

Quadibloc

Aug 17, 2017, 12:41:06 AM8/17/17
On the basis of some clips from the aforesaid movie, I had gained the impression
that the movie "Song of the South" was an attempt to educate the people of the
North about the Southern view of things, and the South's value to the country,
for purposes of promoting national unity.

On checking on the Internet, however, to confirm that it really isn't available
on DVD from Disney, I see that it was made by Disney on its own as a commercial
venture - not something commissioned by the Office of War Information - and it
was an adaptation of the Uncle Remus stories.

So perhaps I should have started this post with a different lead-in.

I can't think of another outstanding piece of evidence to point to, though, to demonstrate the following premise:

Up to at least the early 1960s, it was considered to be appropriate by very many, if not most, Americans that, following the Civil War, the nation should take an approach of reconciliation rather than triumphalism.

The South had paid a price, a heavy price, for its attempt at secession. It
should not also be deprived of its dignity and self-respect; it should be allowed to honor those who fought in its lost cause.

From the perspective of this point of view, an editorial like this one from Fox
News might make sense:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/16/charlottesville-never-had-to-happen-how-craven-politicians-led-our-nation-into-tragedy.html

And so might certain recent statements by President Donald J. Trump.

At first, I thought that the controversy surrounding his puzzling statements in
the wake of the Charlottesville tragedy was merely overblown. He made a clumsy
attempt to appear non-political in respect of an issue where this was not
appropriate, as racism is hardly controversial; everyone agrees it's bad.

So he just dragged out the wrong speechwriting motif at the wrong time, doing
his Tweets himself rather than having a professional Tweetwriter do it. Big
deal.

But looking into what was going on, I eventually came to a realization that this
wasn't about whether or not this was the right time to call attention to the
misbehavior of Antifa - and such misbehavior does indeed exist:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/features/trump-supporters-portland/

it's about something else entirely.

If the death of Heather Heyer motivates Americans to take a harsher look at
racist extremism, or to a renewed commitment to racial equality, that will be
right and proper.

Using her death as a lever to prevent President Trump, or other American
politicians, from defending the past consensus on reconciliation with the South,
in order to press forward with the removal of statues to Confederate generals
and suchlike wherever they may still stand - that is more questionable.

And, to me, it seems like this is what's going on here when it comes to the
barrage of criticism Trump's statements have received in the Press of late.

Personally, as a Canadian, I don't see why one wouldn't view the Confederacy as
a manifestation of absolute evil the same way one views Nazi Germany. So of
course there should be no statues of Robert E. Lee, any more than statues of
Ribbentrop or Goering or Himmler.

But the fact is that this isn't how America has allowed itself to view the Civil
War. Perhaps for the coldly practical reason that white Southerners were more
important to the American economy than black Americans.

Because, after all, taking an approach of reconciliation to the South has in
many ways involved acting as if black people either did not exist, or at least
did not matter.

John Savard

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 17, 2017, 2:34:20 AM8/17/17
Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

> On the basis of some clips from the aforesaid movie, I had
> gained the impression that the movie "Song of the South" was an
> attempt to educate the people of the North about the Southern
> view of things, and the South's value to the country, for
> purposes of promoting national unity.
>
> On checking on the Internet, however, to confirm that it really
> isn't available on DVD from Disney, I see that it was made by
> Disney on its own as a commercial venture - not something
> commissioned by the Office of War Information - and it was an
> adaptation of the Uncle Remus stories.
>
> So perhaps I should have started this post with a different
> lead-in.
>
> I can't think of another outstanding piece of evidence to point
> to, though, to demonstrate the following premise:
>
> Up to at least the early 1960s, it was considered to be
> appropriate by very many, if not most, Americans that, following
> the Civil War, the nation should take an approach of
> reconciliation rather than triumphalism.

If that were the case, the term "carpet bagger" would have no
meaning, and "reconstruction" wouldn't have a negative connotation
in either the north or the south.

As usual, you're spouting off about things you know nothing about.

Your premise being bullshit, the rest of your drivel isn't worth
reading.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Aug 17, 2017, 2:56:33 AM8/17/17
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 23:34:17 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
<taus...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in
>
>> On the basis of some clips from the aforesaid movie, I had
>> gained the impression that the movie "Song of the South" was an
>> attempt to educate the people of the North about the Southern
>> view of things, and the South's value to the country, for
>> purposes of promoting national unity.

What an utterly bizarre idea. Even for Quaddie.

>> On checking on the Internet, however, to confirm that it really
>> isn't available on DVD from Disney, I see that it was made by
>> Disney on its own as a commercial venture - not something
>> commissioned by the Office of War Information - and it was an
>> adaptation of the Uncle Remus stories.
>>
>> So perhaps I should have started this post with a different
>> lead-in.
>>
>> I can't think of another outstanding piece of evidence to point
>> to, though, to demonstrate the following premise:
>>
>> Up to at least the early 1960s, it was considered to be
>> appropriate by very many, if not most, Americans that, following
>> the Civil War, the nation should take an approach of
>> reconciliation rather than triumphalism.

Ha!

Your Canadianness is really showing here, ninny.

>If that were the case, the term "carpet bagger" would have no
>meaning, and "reconstruction" wouldn't have a negative connotation
>in either the north or the south.

And "damyankee" wouldn't have been considered a single word.

>As usual, you're spouting off about things you know nothing about.
>
>Your premise being bullshit, the rest of your drivel isn't worth
>reading.

This is at least a slightly different strain of insanity than his
usual.

My latest novel is Tom Derringer in the Tunnels of Terror.
See http://www.watt-evans.com/TomDerringerintheTunnelsofTerror.shtml

Peter Trei

Aug 17, 2017, 8:46:19 AM8/17/17
Wouldn't vat-slaves have made the resolution easier? Too bad the technology
didn't exist at the time (not that it does not).

pt

Richard Hershberger

Aug 17, 2017, 9:21:26 AM8/17/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 2:34:20 AM UTC-4, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in
>
> > On the basis of some clips from the aforesaid movie, I had
> > gained the impression that the movie "Song of the South" was an
> > attempt to educate the people of the North about the Southern
> > view of things, and the South's value to the country, for
> > purposes of promoting national unity.
> >
> > On checking on the Internet, however, to confirm that it really
> > isn't available on DVD from Disney, I see that it was made by
> > Disney on its own as a commercial venture - not something
> > commissioned by the Office of War Information - and it was an
> > adaptation of the Uncle Remus stories.
> >
> > So perhaps I should have started this post with a different
> > lead-in.
> >
> > I can't think of another outstanding piece of evidence to point
> > to, though, to demonstrate the following premise:
> >
> > Up to at least the early 1960s, it was considered to be
> > appropriate by very many, if not most, Americans that, following
> > the Civil War, the nation should take an approach of
> > reconciliation rather than triumphalism.
>
> If that were the case, the term "carpet bagger" would have no
> meaning, and "reconstruction" wouldn't have a negative connotation
> in either the north or the south.

To expand on this, for about a dozen years after the end of the Civil War the North took somewhat seriously the idea that African-Americans are fully human, with all that implies. The South resisted this idea strongly, and to this day is bitter about it. After that dozen or so years was up, the North redirected its attention to more immediately pressing matters such as controlling political patronage. "Reconciliation rather than triumphalism" was a tool useful in the short term for achieving this end. The price for "reconciliation rather than triumphalism" was to retreat from the idea that African-Americans are fully human. White Northern politicians found, upon reflection, that they were OK with that. It would be another eighty to ninety years before the question was revisited.

Richard R. Hershberger

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 17, 2017, 11:29:15 AM8/17/17
Peter Trei <pete...@gmail.com> wrote in
I don't think that even Quaddie could stomach cloning so many black
people that we get enough who *want* to be slaves to satisfy all
the wannabe slave owners. Remember, he's utterly committed to
nuking anyone who isn't caucasian.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 17, 2017, 11:30:02 AM8/17/17
Lawrence Watt-Evans <misencha...@gmail.com> wrote in
org:
I guess he finally saved up enough allowance for a new comic book.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 17, 2017, 11:30:42 AM8/17/17
Richard Hershberger <rrh...@gmail.com> wrote in
And carpet baggers were, basically, privateers with letters of
marque, but no ships.

Kevrob

Aug 17, 2017, 12:41:50 PM8/17/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 11:30:42 AM UTC-4, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> Richard Hershberger <rrh...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 2:34:20 AM UTC-4, Gutless
> > Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> >> Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

The film is more than clips. I saw some of those on Disney TV
shows in the 1960s, but never the whole film.

Here:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=83745

..it is pointed out that the film was shown at Renovation
(Worldcon, 2011)

and here....

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2013/01/song_of_the_south_disney_s_most_notorious_film_by_jason_sperb_reviewed.html

..is an explanation why it isn't available in the US.

The Uncle Remus character is too offensive too modern racial
sensibilities to risk running the film out again.

Spinning weird theories on sparse info is a Quaddie specialty.

Why not try "Louis Riel: Hero of the Confederation." I wouldn't,
but then my knowledge of Canuckistanian history is cursory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Riel

Kevin R

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 17, 2017, 12:55:12 PM8/17/17
Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote in

> Spinning weird theories on sparse info is a Quaddie specialty.

Spinning weird theories on sparse info _and being completely full of
shit_ is a Quaddie specialty.

James Nicoll

Aug 17, 2017, 12:56:17 PM8/17/17
In article <343a2689-4e51-4398...@googlegroups.com>,
Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>Why not try "Louis Riel: Hero of the Confederation." I wouldn't,
>but then my knowledge of Canuckistanian history is cursory.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Riel

Funny, I just saw a TV show about Riel and his trial, which did not
stoop to any appearance of detachment. The government had an outcome
they wanted--Riel hanged--and they got it. Didn't go over well with
Francophones, a good number of whom come from a province whose motto
translates as "We Keep Grudges". Coincidentally, the party responsible
soon found itself relegated to second place to the other major party
for the next century.

My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Aug 17, 2017, 1:08:22 PM8/17/17
On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 09:55:07 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
<taus...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote in
>
>> Spinning weird theories on sparse info is a Quaddie specialty.
>>
>Spinning weird theories on sparse info _and being completely full of
>shit_ is a Quaddie specialty.

+1

Lynn McGuire

Aug 17, 2017, 1:30:36 PM8/17/17
On 8/16/2017 11:41 PM, Quadibloc wrote:
> On the basis of some clips from the aforesaid movie, I had gained the impression
> that the movie "Song of the South" was an attempt to educate the people of the
> North about the Southern view of things, and the South's value to the country,
> for purposes of promoting national unity.
>
> On checking on the Internet, however, to confirm that it really isn't available
> on DVD from Disney, I see that it was made by Disney on its own as a commercial
> venture - not something commissioned by the Office of War Information - and it
> was an adaptation of the Uncle Remus stories.
>
> So perhaps I should have started this post with a different lead-in.
>
> I can't think of another outstanding piece of evidence to point to, though, to demonstrate the following premise:
>
> Up to at least the early 1960s, it was considered to be appropriate by very many, if not most, Americans that, following the Civil War, the nation should take an approach of reconciliation rather than triumphalism.

Oh yeah, that is why my great-grandparents named their last child, my
great uncle Forest, Nathan Bedford Forest McGuire in 1912.

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Aug 17, 2017, 1:42:59 PM8/17/17

Quadibloc

Aug 17, 2017, 1:45:37 PM8/17/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 10:56:17 AM UTC-6, James Nicoll wrote:
> Didn't go over well with
> Francophones, a good number of whom come from a province whose motto
> translates as "We Keep Grudges".

Ah, that's one way to translate "Je me souviens" (We remember), I guess.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Aug 17, 2017, 1:46:50 PM8/17/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 6:46:19 AM UTC-6, Peter Trei wrote:

> Wouldn't vat-slaves have made the resolution easier? Too bad the technology
> didn't exist at the time (not that it does not).

I'm opposed to creating a world like the one Heinlein envisaged - without approving of it - in Friday.

John Savard

Quadibloc

Aug 17, 2017, 1:48:36 PM8/17/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 7:21:26 AM UTC-6, Richard Hershberger wrote:

> To expand on this, for about a dozen years after the end of the Civil War the
> North took somewhat seriously the idea that African-Americans are fully human,
> with all that implies. The South resisted this idea strongly, and to this day
> is bitter about it. After that dozen or so years was up, the North redirected
> its attention to more immediately pressing matters such as controlling
> political patronage. "Reconciliation rather than triumphalism" was a tool
> useful in the short term for achieving this end. The price for
> "reconciliation rather than triumphalism" was to retreat from the idea that
> African-Americans are fully human. White Northern politicians found, upon
> reflection, that they were OK with that. It would be another eighty to ninety
> years before the question was revisited.

Oh, good, at least someone else on this newsgroup is from my timeline.

John Savard

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 17, 2017, 1:53:05 PM8/17/17
Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in
It's more accurante than anything you have to say, especially about
American politics.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 17, 2017, 1:53:54 PM8/17/17
Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in
He said you were full of shit. Good of you to finally realize it.

Quadibloc

Aug 17, 2017, 2:11:53 PM8/17/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 11:53:54 AM UTC-6, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in
> > On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 7:21:26 AM UTC-6, Richard
> > Hershberger wrote:

> >> To expand on this, for about a dozen years after the end of the
> >> Civil War the North took somewhat seriously the idea that
> >> African-Americans are fully human, with all that implies. The
> >> South resisted this idea strongly, and to this day is bitter
> >> about it. After that dozen or so years was up, the North
> >> redirected its attention to more immediately pressing matters
> >> such as controlling political patronage. "Reconciliation
> >> rather than triumphalism" was a tool useful in the short term
> >> for achieving this end. The price for "reconciliation rather
> >> than triumphalism" was to retreat from the idea that
> >> African-Americans are fully human. White Northern politicians
> >> found, upon reflection, that they were OK with that. It would
> >> be another eighty to ninety years before the question was
> >> revisited.

> > Oh, good, at least someone else on this newsgroup is from my
> > timeline.

> He said you were full of shit. Good of you to finally realize it.

Oh, hardly. Maybe overly polite - a failing we Canadians are said to have -
towards a point of view with which I personally disagree, but which I have to
recognize has had considerable mainstream acceptance in the United States in the
past.

John Savard

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 17, 2017, 2:13:07 PM8/17/17
Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in
In fact, yes. He was agreeing with me, and expanding on the major
point. That you're full of shit.

Quadibloc

Aug 17, 2017, 2:17:21 PM8/17/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 12:13:07 PM UTC-6, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:

> In fact, yes. He was agreeing with me,

If he was agreeing with you, how come you were saying the North was bad, and he
was saying the South was bad?

John Savard

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 17, 2017, 2:52:20 PM8/17/17
Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in
Where did I say the North was bad? I said that "triumphalism" was
the order of the day from nearly the beginning and that your entire
post was utter bullshit based on pie in the sky fantasies.

Your claim that "Up to at least the early 1960s, it was considered
to be appropriate by very many, if not most, Americans that,
following the Civil War, the nation should take an approach of
reconciliation rather than triumphalism." is the exact opposite of
historical fact. The North considered winning the way as
justification for looting everything not nailed down (carpet
baggers), and the South considered losing the war as an excuse for
guerilla warfare ("The South shall rise again"). If anything, the
Civil War *intensified* the instituionalized oppression of and
violence against blacks. The roots of the civil rights movement go
back to at least the 20s and 30s, but it didn't become a
significant political force until the late 50s and early 60s.
"Reconciliiation" is a useless, meaningless term in US politics.
You'll get support for "reparations" from some particularly deluded
types, but the term was "reconstruction" and it was synonymous with
"looting by carpet baggers" in the North and "suppression of black
voters" in the South.

In short, as usual, you are competely full of shit. Nearly Shawn
Wilson full of shit, in this case. (But not quite Little Tommy
Crapman full of shit, at least.)

William Hyde

Aug 17, 2017, 4:13:26 PM8/17/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 2:56:33 AM UTC-4, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
As a Canadian I utterly disavow all comments made by Mr Savard on this. I truly wonder where he went to school.

> >If that were the case, the term "carpet bagger" would have no
> >meaning, and "reconstruction" wouldn't have a negative connotation
> >in either the north or the south.
>
> And "damyankee" wouldn't have been considered a single word.
>
> >As usual, you're spouting off about things you know nothing about.
> >
> >Your premise being bullshit, the rest of your drivel isn't worth
> >reading.
>
> This is at least a slightly different strain of insanity than his
> usual.

Do you remember those ancient ads for a correspondence course in writing - "Do you have that restless urge to write?"

Mr Savard has it. And this is where he does it.

William Hyde

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 17, 2017, 4:17:32 PM8/17/17
William Hyde <wthyd...@gmail.com> wrote in
Where? Or if?

>> >If that were the case, the term "carpet bagger" would have no
>> >meaning, and "reconstruction" wouldn't have a negative
>> >connotation in either the north or the south.
>>
>> And "damyankee" wouldn't have been considered a single word.
>>
>> >As usual, you're spouting off about things you know nothing
>> >about.
>> >
>> >Your premise being bullshit, the rest of your drivel isn't
>> >worth reading.
>>
>> This is at least a slightly different strain of insanity than
>> his usual.
>
> Do you remember those ancient ads for a correspondence course in
> writing - "Do you have that restless urge to write?"
>
> Mr Savard has it. And this is where he does it.

Diarrhea of the mouth.

Dimensional Traveler

Aug 17, 2017, 4:19:47 PM8/17/17
There is an unwarranted assumption in that last sentence. ;)

instinct are running screaming.

Kevrob

Aug 17, 2017, 4:44:50 PM8/17/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 12:56:17 PM UTC-4, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <343a2689-4e51-4398...@googlegroups.com>,
> Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >
> >Why not try "Louis Riel: Hero of the Confederation." I wouldn't,
> >but then my knowledge of Canuckistanian history is cursory.
> >
> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Riel
>
> Funny, I just saw a TV show about Riel and his trial, which did not
> stoop to any appearance of detachment. The government had an outcome
> they wanted--Riel hanged--and they got it. Didn't go over well with
> Francophones, a good number of whom come from a province whose motto
> translates as "We Keep Grudges". Coincidentally, the party responsible
> soon found itself relegated to second place to the other major party
> for the next century.

I used to like to joke that my knowledge of Canadian history comes from
The Hockey News, "Due South," SCTV, 1980s issues of MacLeans, and
ANGLOMAN comics. Then it occurred to me that, compared to my USAian
fellows, that's the equivalent of a graduate seminar on the Meech Lake
Accord, (or "Accord du lac Meech", if you please.) :)

Kevin R

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 17, 2017, 5:12:10 PM8/17/17
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in
Reminds you more and more of Shawn Wilson every day, doesn't he?

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 17, 2017, 5:13:01 PM8/17/17
Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote in
Yeah, well, most Americans are far too busy ruling the world to
bother with learning anything about it.

Moriarty

Aug 17, 2017, 6:15:51 PM8/17/17
On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 2:41:50 AM UTC+10, Kevrob wrote:
> On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 11:30:42 AM UTC-4, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> > Richard Hershberger <rrh...@gmail.com> wrote in

> The film is more than clips. I saw some of those on Disney TV
> shows in the 1960s, but never the whole film.
>
> Here:
>
> http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=83745
>
> ..it is pointed out that the film was shown at Renovation
> (Worldcon, 2011)
>
> and here....
>
> http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2013/01/song_of_the_south_disney_s_most_notorious_film_by_jason_sperb_reviewed.html
>
> ..is an explanation why it isn't available in the US.

There are multiple DVD copies available on ebay. I'm sure they're legal and the Chinese subtitles a bonus feature that Disney specifically requested.

-Moriarty

Kevrob

Aug 17, 2017, 6:29:22 PM8/17/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 5:13:01 PM UTC-4, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
> Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote in

> > I used to like to joke that my knowledge of Canadian history
> > comes from The Hockey News, "Due South," SCTV, 1980s issues of
> > MacLeans, and ANGLOMAN comics. Then it occurred to me that,
> > compared to my USAian fellows, that's the equivalent of a
> > graduate seminar on the Meech Lake Accord, (or "Accord du lac
> > Meech", if you please.) :)
> >
> Yeah, well, most Americans are far too busy ruling the world to
> bother with learning anything about it.

Additional sources: Richard Comely's CAPTAIN CANUCK, "The Red Green
Show," ALPHA FLIGHT, "Sergeant Preston & Yukon King*," Scully's
"The World Show," "The Editors," "Northguard" by Mark Shainblum &
Gabriel Morrissette, Ken Dryden's books, "The Game" and "Home Game,"
the songs of Stan Rogers and CTV's "Power Play," which ran a whole
2 episodes on the short-lived US broadcast network UPN.

Kevin R

* Even as a lad, I realized Dudley Do-Right was a parody of this, and
of Nelson Eddy singing with Jeanette MacDonald.

leif...@dimnakorr.com

Aug 17, 2017, 8:15:15 PM8/17/17
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, well, most Americans are far too busy ruling the world to
> bother with learning anything about it.

"The greatest trick the British ever pulled was convincing the
Yanks that ruling the world is desirable."

--
Leif Roar Moldskred
Got Sfik?

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 17, 2017, 9:29:46 PM8/17/17
leif...@dimnakorr.com wrote in

> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, well, most Americans are far too busy ruling the world to
>> bother with learning anything about it.
>>

> "The greatest trick the British ever pulled was convincing the
> Yanks that ruling the world is desirable."

Heh. Now I'm wanting to watch _The Usual Suspects_ agin.

Quadibloc

Aug 17, 2017, 11:02:55 PM8/17/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 6:15:15 PM UTC-6, leif...@dimnakorr.com wrote:
> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yeah, well, most Americans are far too busy ruling the world to
> > bother with learning anything about it.

> "The greatest trick the British ever pulled was convincing the
> Yanks that ruling the world is desirable."

Hey, it would be nice if the Americans really did rule the world. They could
dismiss the governments of Russia, China, and North Korea, bringing about world
peace and universal respect for human rights.

They may still be the world's dominant military power, but that and actually
ruling the world are two different things.

John Savard

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Aug 18, 2017, 1:54:00 AM8/18/17
On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 15:29:17 -0700 (PDT), Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 5:13:01 PM UTC-4, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
>> Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote in
>
>> > I used to like to joke that my knowledge of Canadian history
>> > comes from The Hockey News, "Due South," SCTV, 1980s issues of
>> > MacLeans, and ANGLOMAN comics. Then it occurred to me that,
>> > compared to my USAian fellows, that's the equivalent of a
>> > graduate seminar on the Meech Lake Accord, (or "Accord du lac
>> > Meech", if you please.) :)
>> >
>> Yeah, well, most Americans are far too busy ruling the world to
>> bother with learning anything about it.
>>

>Additional sources: Richard Comely's CAPTAIN CANUCK, "The Red Green
>Show," ALPHA FLIGHT, "Sergeant Preston & Yukon King*," Scully's
>"The World Show," "The Editors," "Northguard" by Mark Shainblum &
>Gabriel Morrissette, Ken Dryden's books, "The Game" and "Home Game,"
>the songs of Stan Rogers and CTV's "Power Play," which ran a whole
>2 episodes on the short-lived US broadcast network UPN.

I loved Sgt. Preston when I was a kid.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Aug 18, 2017, 2:04:15 AM8/18/17

> On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 6:15:15 PM UTC-6,
> leif...@dimnakorr.com wrote:
>> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Yeah, well, most Americans are far too busy ruling the world
>> > to bother with learning anything about it.
>
>> "The greatest trick the British ever pulled was convincing the
>> Yanks that ruling the world is desirable."
>
> Hey, it would be nice if the Americans really did rule the
> world. They could dismiss the governments of Russia, China, and
> North Korea, bringing about world peace and universal respect
> for human rights.

And tell Canadians to sit down and shut up about American politics.

> They may still be the world's dominant military power, but that
> and actually ruling the world are two different things.

Apparently, among the many, many things you have no clue about, we
can add sarcasm. I suppose it might be the brain injury that makes it
impossible to identify sarcasm, even when it's point out to you.

David DeLaney

Aug 19, 2017, 4:41:46 PM8/19/17
On 2017-08-17, Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
> On the basis of some clips from the aforesaid movie, I had gained the
> impression
> that the movie "Song of the South" was an attempt to educate the people of the
> North about the Southern view of things, and the South's value to the country,
> for purposes of promoting national unity.

Oh John. You are SO Not From Around Here, aren't you.

No, there's a deep national condition that we've been laboring under for a
couple hundred years now, whose symptoms have been somewhat alleviated but
whose scars are carved deep into our collective culture. As one might expect
from humans, some people spend a lot of time trying to convince everyone else
that this is _normal_ and shouldn't be messed with or tried to be healed. Or
talked about as though it weren't normal, even.

> Up to at least the early 1960s, it was considered to be appropriate by very
> many, if not most, Americans that, following the Civil War, the nation should
> take an approach of reconciliation rather than triumphalism.

Um. "Some". Not "if not most" by a long shot. Look up the history of the
Reconstruction in the South.

> The South had paid a price, a heavy price, for its attempt at secession. It
> should not also be deprived of its dignity and self-respect; it should be
> allowed to honor those who fought in its lost cause.

See, I hadn't read down this far yet when typing my paragraph above, and
here's an example of thinking like those "some people".

> appropriate, as racism is hardly controversial; everyone agrees it's bad.

Here again you show that you don't live anywhere in this country...

Many people here who would agree in public, if poked, that it's bad, don't
actually think so inside their heads, and will show this by their statements
or, particularly, their actions. Then will argue vehemently that no, they're
NOT racist, why are you saying that what they just said was racist??, what
about all the suppression and harassment the WHITE MAN endures, why don't you
ever talk about THAT, you big meanie?

This sort of conversation may not be familiar to a Canadian as such, though
I think if you look at treatment of the Northern natives up there you may find
distinct parallels.

> Personally, as a Canadian, I don't see why

Exactly.

Dave

David DeLaney

Aug 19, 2017, 4:47:17 PM8/19/17
On 2017-08-17, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In short, as usual, you are competely full of shit. Nearly Shawn
> Wilson full of shit, in this case. (But not quite Little Tommy
> Crapman full of shit, at least.)

And this, dear reader, is why at least a basic understanding of the different
orders of infinity can be useful in following various threads in this group.

Dave, as well as in expanding your sensawunda considerably

David DeLaney

Aug 19, 2017, 4:49:06 PM8/19/17
... have you seen The Statue?

(It's been on all the late-night talk shows in the last couple days. Do not
directly inspect The Statue without suitable eye protection.)

Dave, speaking of eldritch horrors from beyond the common sense fields we know

Quadibloc

Aug 19, 2017, 7:37:44 PM8/19/17
On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 2:47:17 PM UTC-6, David DeLaney wrote:

> And this, dear reader, is why at least a basic understanding of the different
> orders of infinity can be useful in following various threads in this group.

Allow me to be of service.

http://www.quadibloc.com/math/infint.htm

John Savard

Quadibloc

Aug 19, 2017, 7:41:21 PM8/19/17
On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 2:41:46 PM UTC-6, David DeLaney wrote:

> This sort of conversation may not be familiar to a Canadian as such, though
> I think if you look at treatment of the Northern natives up there you may find
> distinct parallels.

Oh, yes, indeed.

It's all very well to agree in theory that all men are equal, but the poor and
disadvantaged often have problems that lead to them making nuisances of
themselves. People who are economically disadvantaged to a lesser degree... have
little extra margin, and thus little tolerance for those whose behavior might be
injurious to them.

I mean, it's easy to say all the right things when you can afford to live in a
gated community...

John Savard