"Post-Apocalyptic Book List "

Lynn McGuire

Mar 2, 2016, 10:48:09 PM3/2/16
"Post-Apocalyptic Book List"
http://www.apocalypsebooks.com/books/

Who knew? I wonder if even 25% of them are readable. Seems to be sadly out of date.

Lynn

Brian M. Scott

Mar 3, 2016, 1:30:56 AM3/3/16
On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 21:47:56 -0600, Lynn McGuire
<l...@winsim.com> wrote in<news:nb8c00$gii$1...@dont-email.me>
in rec.arts.sf.written:
It appears to go through 2014; I’d not call that ‘sadly out
of date’. They do interpret ‘post-apocalyptic’ rather
expansively, though; there are quite a few books that I’d
definitely put in other categories.

Some of the books on the list are excellent. A few of the
ones that I liked and happened to notice as I was going
through:

Robert Adams, the Horseclans series
Neal Asher, Cowl
Leigh Brackett, The Long Tomorrow
Arthur C. Clarke, Against the Fall of Night;
The City and the Stars; Childhood’s End
Gordon R. Dickson, Time Storm
Fred Hoyle, The Black Cloud
Sterling E. Lanier, Hiero’s Journey
L.E. Modesitt, Jr., The Forever Hero
Daniel Keyes Moran, The Armageddon Blues
Edgar Pangborn, Davy
Mary Rosenblum, Water Rites (This one isn’t
on the list, though the novel The Drylands
that comprises a large chunk of it is.)
Jack Vance, The Dying Earth
Paul O. Williams, the Pelbar chronicles
Roger Zelazny, ... And Call Me Conrad (listed
under the book title This Immortal, but Zelazny
preferred the other title)

I will also mention Mark S. Geston’s _Lords of the
Starship_, because much as I dislike it, it really is very
well done.

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered

Lynn McGuire

Mar 3, 2016, 1:33:29 PM3/3/16
I did not see _Lucifer's Hammer_ on it which is just wrong.

Lynn

lal_truckee

Mar 3, 2016, 1:47:58 PM3/3/16
On 3/3/16 10:33 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

> I did not see _Lucifer's Hammer_ on it which is just wrong.

Nor _Make Room, Make Room_
Can't get more apocalyptic than when you start eating each other.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Mar 3, 2016, 2:01:08 PM3/3/16
In article <nba0n2$7nn$1...@dont-email.me>,
Sure, you could be eating yourself. (Though that's a pretty short
term solution).
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Mar 3, 2016, 2:25:45 PM3/3/16
On 3 Mar 2016 19:01:05 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
wrote:

>In article <nba0n2$7nn$1...@dont-email.me>,
>lal_truckee <lal_t...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>On 3/3/16 10:33 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>>
>>> I did not see _Lucifer's Hammer_ on it which is just wrong.
>>
>>Nor _Make Room, Make Room_
>>Can't get more apocalyptic than when you start eating each other.
>
>Sure, you could be eating yourself. (Though that's a pretty short
>term solution).

Yeah, Stephen King did that in "Survivor Type," but could only get a
short story out of it.

---

David Johnston

Mar 3, 2016, 2:32:20 PM3/3/16
You're confusing "dystopian" with "post-apocalyptic". Post apocalyptic
need not even be dystopian. Hiero's Journey and Horse Clans have turned
the clock back because of their respective apocalypses but are not
significantly worse than any historical setting at similar technological
levels.

Anthony Nance

Mar 3, 2016, 3:11:34 PM3/3/16
Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote:
> On 3/3/2016 12:30 AM, Brian M. Scott wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 21:47:56 -0600, Lynn McGuire
>> <l...@winsim.com> wrote in<news:nb8c00$gii$1...@dont-email.me>
>> in rec.arts.sf.written:
>>
>>> "Post-Apocalyptic Book List"
>>> http://www.apocalypsebooks.com/books/
>>

>> <snip Brian's interesting stuff>
>>

>> <back to Lynn:>
>

> I did not see _Lucifer's Hammer_ on it which is just wrong.

Hmm...I do see Lucifer's Hammer (on p.7, if you're using the
list as alphabetized by title).

Thanks for the link - pretty comprehensive list from what
I can tell. Certainly long, especially since they seem to
be consciously excluding short stories.

Tony

Peter Trei

Mar 3, 2016, 3:43:57 PM3/3/16
This list defines 'post apocalyptic' very broadly. There's a
quite a few there I wouldn't have considered to be in that
genre.

How about
Against the fall of night/The City and the Stars?

Is there an 'apocalypse' in it?

pt

Lynn McGuire

Mar 3, 2016, 3:46:45 PM3/3/16
Arghh!!!! I missed it.

Thanks,
Lynn

art...@yahoo.com

Mar 3, 2016, 4:00:47 PM3/3/16
I am big fan of "Amnesia Moon" by Jonathan Lethem. Are there any odder ones on the list?( Or belonging on it?)

Lynn McGuire

Mar 3, 2016, 4:37:18 PM3/3/16
Yes, _Soft Apocalypse_ is dystopian, not post-apocalyptic.
http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Apocalypse-Will-McIntosh/dp/159780276X/

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Mar 3, 2016, 4:39:40 PM3/3/16
On 3/3/2016 1:32 PM, David Johnston wrote:
And _Slow Apocalypse_ is post-apocalyptic and is not on the list.
http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Apocalypse-John-Varley/dp/0425262138/

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Mar 3, 2016, 4:40:15 PM3/3/16
And _Footfall_ is there also.

Lynn

J. Clarke

Mar 3, 2016, 6:48:57 PM3/3/16
In article <nb9vrt$3hi$1...@dont-email.me>, l...@winsim.com says...

> On 3/3/2016 12:30 AM, Brian M. Scott wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 21:47:56 -0600, Lynn McGuire
> > <l...@winsim.com> wrote in<news:nb8c00$gii$1...@dont-email.me>
> > in rec.arts.sf.written:
> >
> >> "Post-Apocalyptic Book List"
> >> http://www.apocalypsebooks.com/books/
> >
> >> Who knew? I wonder if even 25% of them are readable.
> >> Seems to be sadly out of date.
> >
> > It appears to go through 2014; I?d not call that ?sadly out
> > of date?. They do interpret ?post-apocalyptic? rather
> > expansively, though; there are quite a few books that I?d
> > definitely put in other categories.
> >
> > Some of the books on the list are excellent. A few of the
> > ones that I liked and happened to notice as I was going
> > through:
> >
> > Robert Adams, the Horseclans series
> > Neal Asher, Cowl
> > Leigh Brackett, The Long Tomorrow
> > Arthur C. Clarke, Against the Fall of Night;
> > The City and the Stars; Childhood?s End
> > Gordon R. Dickson, Time Storm
> > Fred Hoyle, The Black Cloud
> > Sterling E. Lanier, Hiero?s Journey
> > L.E. Modesitt, Jr., The Forever Hero
> > Daniel Keyes Moran, The Armageddon Blues
> > Edgar Pangborn, Davy
> > Mary Rosenblum, Water Rites (This one isn?t
> > on the list, though the novel The Drylands
> > that comprises a large chunk of it is.)
> > Jack Vance, The Dying Earth
> > Paul O. Williams, the Pelbar chronicles
> > Roger Zelazny, ... And Call Me Conrad (listed
> > under the book title This Immortal, but Zelazny
> > preferred the other title)
> >
> > I will also mention Mark S. Geston?s _Lords of the
> > Starship_, because much as I dislike it, it really is very
> > well done.
> >
> > Brian
>
> I did not see _Lucifer's Hammer_ on it which is just wrong.

??? it's there right between "Lot and Lot's Daughter" and "The Machine
Stops".

> Lynn

hamis...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2016, 8:01:48 PM3/3/16
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 6:01:08 AM UTC+11, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <nba0n2$7nn$1...@dont-email.me>,
> lal_truckee <lal_t...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On 3/3/16 10:33 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >>
> >> I did not see _Lucifer's Hammer_ on it which is just wrong.
> >
> >Nor _Make Room, Make Room_
> >Can't get more apocalyptic than when you start eating each other.
>
> Sure, you could be eating yourself. (Though that's a pretty short
> term solution).

a ring of regeneration might help with that.
and Prometheus might have done o.k.

Greg Goss

Mar 4, 2016, 12:33:45 AM3/4/16
Spoiler:

V qba'g xabj vs vg'f va obgu irefvbaf bs gur obbx, ohg gurer vf znwbe
qnzntr gb gur Rnegu gung vf vagrecergrq nf eryvp bs jne ol gur srj
vaunovgnagf jub frr vg, ohg vf yngre erirnyrq gb or eryvp bs gur snyy
bs gur Zbba sebz beovg.

Gurer jnf nyfb n znwbe jne gb vzcevfba gur rivy zvaq.

Obgu ner va gur qvfgnag cnfg.

lal_truckee

Mar 4, 2016, 12:15:13 PM3/4/16
On 3/3/16 12:43 PM, Peter Trei wrote:
> How about
> Against the fall of night/The City and the Stars?
>
> Is there an 'apocalypse' in it?

The battle to confine the Mad Mind apparently laid waste to the galaxy,
including Earth.
Earth also sustained damage during the effort to deflect the lunar
orbital decay impact.

Diaspar and Lys were two different technical responses to the resulting
apocalypse.

(Diaspar/Lys is a version of a Morlock/Eloi future.)

William Hyde

Mar 4, 2016, 1:35:07 PM3/4/16
It's been decades since I read this, but I thought the cannibalism was in the movie. I don't recall the citizens of NY resorting to it, though low-quality food was a recurring theme.

William Hyde

Anthony Nance

Mar 4, 2016, 2:28:06 PM3/4/16
Yes - I think one of the judgments to be made about
inclusion (or not) on these lists relates to when
the apocalypse takes place (relative to the events
of the book).

For me, "post-" would indicate that significant
book action takes place after the apocalypse; but
clearly some of these lists don't agree.

Some lists I've seen openly include both apocalyptic
and post-apocalyptic.

Tony

Don Bruder

Mar 4, 2016, 4:58:12 PM3/4/16
In article <1932d0ef-be3e-499f...@googlegroups.com>,
At least in the movie, the whole "soylent green is people" concept was
unknown to the general public - all they knew or cared was that it was
something to eat. Where it came from was pretty well irrelevant.
Obviously, SOME folks had to know, but it seems reasonable to think that
they wouldn't have been too keen on letting that particular cat out of
the proverbial bag.

Can't say I've ever seen a copy of Make Room, Make Room, let alone read
it. (Full disclosure: Not that I've been putting any effort into finding
one...)

--
Security provided by Mssrs Smith and/or Wesson. Brought to you by the letter Q

dac...@hotmail.com

Mar 5, 2016, 12:34:24 AM3/5/16
On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 10:47:52 -0800, lal_truckee <lal_t...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
You are thinking of the movie Soylent Green. People do not eat each
other in Make Room, Make Room.

Regards,
Peter

David Goldfarb

Mar 5, 2016, 5:30:04 PM3/5/16
In article <nbd07q$9cf$1...@dont-email.me>, Don Bruder <dak...@sonic.net> wrote:
>Can't say I've ever seen a copy of Make Room, Make Room, let alone read
>it. (Full disclosure: Not that I've been putting any effort into finding
>one...)

It's readily available as an ebook on Amazon. I picked it up one time
when it was on sale for $.99, but I haven't read it yet.

(The way things are going nowadays I don't know if I'll *ever* get
around to it. I bought Wasp's _Phoenix in Shadow_, and the third one
has come out on me before I've got around to reading it.)

--
David Goldfarb |From the fortune cookie file:
goldf...@gmail.com |"You have an ability to sense and know

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Mar 5, 2016, 7:16:45 PM3/5/16
On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 22:15:24 GMT, gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu (David
Goldfarb) wrote:

>In article <nbd07q$9cf$1...@dont-email.me>, Don Bruder <dak...@sonic.net> wrote:
>>Can't say I've ever seen a copy of Make Room, Make Room, let alone read
>>it. (Full disclosure: Not that I've been putting any effort into finding
>>one...)
>
>It's readily available as an ebook on Amazon. I picked it up one time
>when it was on sale for $.99, but I haven't read it yet.
>
>(The way things are going nowadays I don't know if I'll *ever* get
>around to it. I bought Wasp's _Phoenix in Shadow_, and the third one
>has come out on me before I've got around to reading it.)

Speaking of which, I just got the Amazon notification it's shipping
after my pre-order some while back. I have at least read the first book!
I need to re-read it though, it was at release... and then the second,
and now this. Excellent!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
A problem shared is a problem halved, so is your
problem really yours or just half of someone else's?

David DeLaney

Mar 6, 2016, 5:43:05 AM3/6/16
On 2016-03-03, Peter Trei <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about
> Against the fall of night/The City and the Stars?
>
> Is there an 'apocalypse' in it?

In it? Not as such. But at LEAST one is told of, and/or very strongly
implied to have happened; after all, SOMETHING ended up with only Lys
and Diaspar left, out of all the stations on the Subway Eternal.

We do hear about the devices used to destroy the Moon, and also about
the era when the Mad Mind was out rampaging among the stars; either of
those probably qualify quite nicely as an apocalypse on their own, though
I don't think either one was directly responsible for "all the rest of
Man's works get buried under the endless shifting desert".

So I think it works nicely as post-apocalypse.

Someone mentioned Moran's _The Armageddon Blues_; that qualifies, though
only one part of the setting is actually post-apocalyptic, and the whole
point of Jalian's journey is to try to _prevent_ it. Moran's Continuing
Time novels qualify too - here, the apocalypse was when the nuke was used
on the Castanaveras compound, incinerating most of the telepaths, just before
which they retaliated and sent much of New York State into "pick up the
mentally-burned-out corpses" mode. ("The Troubles", euphemistically. During
and after them David and Denice get separated in Public Labor and Trent
starts his thieving career.)

Dave
http://gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd/ -net.legends/Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

William December Starr

Mar 6, 2016, 7:59:14 AM3/6/16
In article <F42dnS5-hrsqlEHL...@earthlink.com>,
David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> said:

> Someone mentioned Moran's _The Armageddon Blues_; that qualifies,
> though only one part of the setting is actually post-apocalyptic,
> and the whole point of Jalian's journey is to try to _prevent_ it.

While annoying as many people as possible in the process.

:-)

-- wds

William December Starr

Mar 6, 2016, 8:09:11 AM3/6/16
In article <l4up7ibg8l20.x...@40tude.net>,
"Brian M. Scott" <b.s...@csuohio.edu> said:

> Robert Adams, the Horseclans series

Did that ever come to any sort of conclusion as regards the
Clan's recurring enemy, the enclave of evil scientists who
claimed that they were still the United States of America and
were keeping themselves immortal via periodically transfering
their minds into younger and healthier bodies? Or did Adams die
before he got there, assuming he was headed there at all?

(And yes, it did sucks to be you for the young and healthy
people who'd previously been living in said bodies. Thus,
"_evil_ scientists.")

> Neal Asher, Cowl

Was either future there -- the near-ish one that the teenaged
prostitute and the cloned assassin came from or the more distant
one one of whose inhabitants had thought that creating the
titular thing was a good idea -- post-apocalytic? They might
very well have been; I'm just not remembering.

-- wds

Jack Bohn

Mar 6, 2016, 3:55:45 PM3/6/16
Makes one wonder how far Post- it can be for the Apocalypse to count.
Aren't they all after the Fall of Rome and the end of civilization? Or the Thera explosion, or that apparent bottleneck that limits our ancestors to a few thousand? (Ob list: I don't see _Saturn's Children_ by Charles Stross, too soft an apocalypse?) I hesitate to mention "The Green Marauder" by Larry Niven, I suppose we are only interested in *our* apocalypses, which then leaves _Ringworld_ out ("'What can you tell us of the fall of civilization?' 'Is civilization about to fall?'") Then, that whole 'verse is built on the apocalypse of the Thrint empire.

--
-Jack

Greg Goss

Mar 6, 2016, 11:12:58 PM3/6/16
David DeLaney <davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On 2016-03-03, Peter Trei <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How about
>> Against the fall of night/The City and the Stars?
>>
>> Is there an 'apocalypse' in it?
>
>In it? Not as such. But at LEAST one is told of, and/or very strongly
>implied to have happened; after all, SOMETHING ended up with only Lys
>and Diaspar left, out of all the stations on the Subway Eternal.
>
>We do hear about the devices used to destroy the Moon, and also about
>the era when the Mad Mind was out rampaging among the stars; either of
>those probably qualify quite nicely as an apocalypse on their own, though
>I don't think either one was directly responsible for "all the rest of
>Man's works get buried under the endless shifting desert".

I thought that the fall of the moon was related to the deserts in one
version of the story.

Uncle Steve

Mar 7, 2016, 9:32:57 AM3/7/16
Interesting non-factoid: MRMR contains the first fictional reference
to mass shooting incidents which I am aware of in literature. Called
'muckers' in the novel, which predates the apparent spike in such
incidents beginning in the Eighties, with increasing frequency to this
day. Published in the mid-Seventies, IIRC?

People-grenades would seem to be something of a post-apocalyptic trope
if the definition may be stretched a bit closer to 'dystopia' than
post-nuke destruction.

--
WARNING: possible impersonation attempt

Peter Trei

Mar 7, 2016, 11:42:23 AM3/7/16
On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 9:32:57 AM UTC-5, Uncle Steve wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 04:34:17PM +1100, dac...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 10:47:52 -0800, lal_truckee <lal_t...@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:

> > >Nor _Make Room, Make Room_
> > >Can't get more apocalyptic than when you start eating each other.
> >
> > You are thinking of the movie Soylent Green. People do not eat each
> > other in Make Room, Make Room.
>
> Interesting non-factoid: MRMR contains the first fictional reference
> to mass shooting incidents which I am aware of in literature. Called
> 'muckers' in the novel, which predates the apparent spike in such
> incidents beginning in the Eighties, with increasing frequency to this
> day. Published in the mid-Seventies, IIRC?

MRMR is 1966. Rampage killers also appear in 'Stand on Zanzibar' in 1968,
and 'The World Inside' in 1970.

The real thing, of course goes back a lot further. There's Howard Unruh, who
killed 13 people while walking down the street in Camden NJ, in 1949, and
Andrew Kehoe, who killed 44(!) in a school massacre in 1927.

pt

David DeLaney

Mar 7, 2016, 10:33:31 PM3/7/16
On 2016-03-06, Jack Bohn <jack....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Makes one wonder how far Post- it can be for the Apocalypse to count.

Ilona Andrews' Magic {Verb}s series is only several years after the apocalypse
when Magic returned to the world, "in which one human being in twelve died" and
technology and its benefits had to take a sharp turn sideways. I'm reminded of
this because I read the latest one (again [*]) to-day.

> I hesitate to mention "The Green Marauder" by Larry Niven,

Oh, don't hesitate, it qualifies nicely!

Dave

[*] I had gotten it out of the library while it was still only out in hardback.

Brian M. Scott

Mar 7, 2016, 10:44:06 PM3/7/16
On Mon, 07 Mar 2016 21:33:28 -0600, David DeLaney
<davidd...@earthlink.net> wrote
in<news:SoSdncSTMK-V1UPL...@earthlink.com> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> On 2016-03-06, Jack Bohn <jack....@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Makes one wonder how far Post- it can be for the
>> Apocalypse to count.

> Ilona Andrews' Magic {Verb}s series is only several years
> after the apocalypse when Magic returned to the world,
> "in which one human being in twelve died" and technology
> and its benefits had to take a sharp turn sideways.

Good one. Yes, they’re definitely post-apocalyptic.

> I'm reminded of this because I read the latest one (again
> [*]) to-day.

It may be tough to track down, but you ought to see if you
can find the recent novella ‘Magic Stars’. (A paperback
can be had, but it was basically published as an ebook.)
Derek and Julie are the protagonists, and we learn quite a
bit about both of them.

[...]

Brian
--
It was the neap tide, when the baga venture out of their
holes to root for sandtatties. The waves whispered
rhythmically over the packed sand: haggisss, haggisss,
haggisss.

peterw...@hotmail.com

Mar 8, 2016, 4:03:20 AM3/8/16
On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 8:32:57 AM UTC-6, Uncle Steve wrote:
in regards to _Make Room, Make Room_ by Harry Harrison:

> Interesting non-factoid: MRMR contains the first fictional reference
> to mass shooting incidents which I am aware of in literature. Called
> 'muckers' in the novel, which predates the apparent spike in such
> incidents beginning in the Eighties, with increasing frequency to this
> day. Published in the mid-Seventies, IIRC?

The 1950s novel _Highways in Hiding_ by George O. Smith refers to mass shootings
having become common in that future.

Harry Harrison wrote a short memoir about the making of _Soylent Green_, on which he was a
script consultant. He mentioned that since _Make Room, Make Room_ used the method described
by H. G. Wells of presenting a fictional world by telling a story set in that world, Mr. Harrison
didn't really care how the film makers altered the plot as long they kept the setting of an
overpopulated dystopia. One of his contributions as consultant was in a scene where Charlton
Heston's character and Edward G. Robinson's are eating a meal of the normal food of that time
(not the gourmet items later swiped from the crime scene). Harrison had the detective eat
matter-of-factly, since this kind of slop was all he'd ever known, whereas the older man was
to regard it with disgust because he remembered what real food used to taste like.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

Lynn McGuire

Mar 8, 2016, 6:42:14 PM3/8/16
On 3/7/2016 9:33 PM, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2016-03-06, Jack Bohn <jack....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Makes one wonder how far Post- it can be for the Apocalypse to count.
>
> Ilona Andrews' Magic {Verb}s series is only several years after the apocalypse
> when Magic returned to the world, "in which one human being in twelve died" and
> technology and its benefits had to take a sharp turn sideways. I'm reminded of
> this because I read the latest one (again [*]) to-day.
>
>> I hesitate to mention "The Green Marauder" by Larry Niven,
>
> Oh, don't hesitate, it qualifies nicely!
>
> Dave
>
> [*] I had gotten it out of the library while it was still only out in hardback.

How much of the population died in the bioengineered tomato virus in Kim Harrison's Hollows series? I seem to remember 80% death
rate in the normals. No more pizzas or red sauce pasta. At that point the paranormals revealed themselves since the numbers were
about even.
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Witch-Walking-Hollows-Book/dp/0060572965/

Lynn