_Wool_

Lynn McGuire

Sep 18, 2017, 12:29:44 AM9/18/17
I am reading the book _Wool_ and am halfway through. This is the most
depressing book that I have read in a decade. But, it is so good. Does
it ever get less depressing ? It is about the x,000 inhabitants of a
144 story underground silo about 200 years after something poisoned the air.
https://www.amazon.com/Wool-Hugh-Howey/dp/1476733953/

Lynn

Juho Julkunen

Sep 18, 2017, 10:53:58 AM9/18/17
In article <opni3l$t4u$1...@dont-email.me>, lynnmc...@gmail.com says...
Goddangit. If it turns out the outside is in fact fine by now and
higher-ups (socially and physically) maintain the ruse to remain at the
top of the heap, I can cross another one off the ol' ideas list.

--
Juho Julkunen

Peter Trei

Sep 18, 2017, 11:00:05 AM9/18/17
Its already been used in PKD's 'The Penultimate Truth'.

pt

D B Davis

Sep 18, 2017, 1:00:37 PM9/18/17
_Hellstrom's Hive_ (Herbert) twists the underground human ant colony
into an ascendant force. At first blush, the colony seems like a utopia,
but is it truly? Only the reader knows for sure.

Thank you,

--
Don

Lynn McGuire

Sep 18, 2017, 1:53:20 PM9/18/17
_Wool_ is no utopia. They send people on a one way trip outside every
so often to clean the camera lenses.

Lynn

-dsr-

Sep 18, 2017, 2:08:06 PM9/18/17
It only gets better in order to be able to increase the relative
awfulness of the subsequent depression.

-dsr-

Juho Julkunen

Sep 18, 2017, 2:12:26 PM9/18/17
In article <20170...@crcomp.net>, g...@crcomp.net says...

> Peter Trei <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 10:53:58 AM UTC-4, Juho Julkunen wrote:
> >> In article <opni3l$t4u$1...@dont-email.me>, lynnmc...@gmail.com says...

> >> Goddangit. If it turns out the outside is in fact fine by now and
> >> higher-ups (socially and physically) maintain the ruse to remain at the
> >> top of the heap, I can cross another one off the ol' ideas list.
> >
> > Its already been used in PKD's 'The Penultimate Truth'.

I was under no delusion that the premise was original. It's just that
from cursory look _Wool_ seemed to match a number of specific details.

> _Hellstrom's Hive_ (Herbert) twists the underground human ant colony
> into an ascendant force. At first blush, the colony seems like a utopia,
> but is it truly? Only the reader knows for sure.

I didn't think _Hellstrom's Hive_ looked particularly utopian at any
point.

It was also an indirect inspiration for my hypothetical story, via the
Human Hive from _Sid Meier's Alpha Centaury_ by Brian Reynolds. The
game draws from a lot of SF, but Kim Stanley Robinson and Frank Herbert
seem to be the most prominent sources.

--
Juho Julkunen

Titus G

Sep 18, 2017, 5:48:21 PM9/18/17
Only the ants know for sure :-)
Wool was just OK but like Jumper it was written for young adults.
Although I do not regret reading them, I will not bother with the sequels.

David DeLaney

Sep 19, 2017, 6:12:25 AM9/19/17
Played straight in one of the plot threads in _Fine Structure_, a (completed)
webserial at qntm.org .

Dave, have shilled for it before, I think it's THAT good

D B Davis

Sep 19, 2017, 10:16:47 AM9/19/17
Hellstrom's hive's a utopia for those who dwell within it. It's a
peaceful, altruistic, crime free, healthy space that provides substance
and nourishment. The seven deadly sins are non-existent. There's a sense
of shared purpose. Hive members are content with their station in life,
no matter how low it is. Members accept the hive mind's wisdom without
rancor.

Although the hive's groupthink personally troubles /me/, what's not to
like, from a hive member's perspective?

Thank you,

--
Don

D B Davis

Sep 19, 2017, 10:26:58 AM9/19/17

Sustenance is spelled correctly in this followup. Let's see how well the
Supersedes: header works. :0)
Hellstrom's hive's a utopia for those who dwell within it. It's a
peaceful, altruistic, crime free, healthy space that provides sustenance

Default User

Sep 19, 2017, 2:36:39 PM9/19/17
On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 9:26:58 AM UTC-5, D B Davis wrote:
> Sustenance is spelled correctly in this followup. Let's see how well the
> Supersedes: header works. :0)

From Google Groups, it's a completely separate message. GG isn't much of a newsreader though.

Brian

Robert Carnegie

Sep 19, 2017, 5:11:45 PM9/19/17
The first version has a "Translate into English" link!
From Finnish of course.

Result mostly matches the submitted text except for
an alarming Lovecraftian "for Those Who dwell in it".