Where did RJ got the name Shayol Ghul from?

Christer Jacobsson

Nov 3, 2013, 7:45:27 PM11/3/13
As Salaam Aelikum!

I've always been puzzled over the name "Shayou Ghul" for the place in
Randland where the presence of the DO is most strongly felt.
Could it be that RJ got the name from one of Cordwainer Smith's novels,
specifically "The Crime And Glory of Captain Suzdal". The conclusion of
the novel is the trial of Captain Suzdal where the court ruled:
"You would not live longer, former commander and former Suzdal". Then
they stripped him of death: "You wiil go to the planet Shayol, the place
of uttermost shame from which no one ever returns. You will go there
with the contempt and hatred of mankind. We will not punish you. We do
not wish to know about you any more. You will live on, but for us you
will have ceased to exist".

The very last novel in the collection "The best of Cordwainer Smith" is
"A Planet Named Shayol" where the fates of those condemned to live there
is described.

Can RJ have gotten the name Shayol Ghul from CW or did he invent the
name "out of the blue" so to speak?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 17th Anniversary :-) Ex-wife deceased :-(
Team OS/2 e-mail: cribo.j...@gaea.se (Primary)

David DeLaney

Nov 4, 2013, 12:19:31 AM11/4/13
On 2013-11-04, Christer Jacobsson <cribo.j...@gaea.se> wrote:
> Can RJ have gotten the name Shayol Ghul from CW or did he invent the
> name "out of the blue" so to speak?

("CS", surely? Or "PMAL"?)

He may have gotten from there. Or it may have been independent invention, but
would not have been "out of the blue" - Sheol or Shayol or She'ol is a Hebrew
word, used in the Old Testament for an older version of Hell or the afterlife.
And a Ghul is a ghoul, Arabic-style...

Dave, echoes of the past resound

Cassie

Nov 19, 2013, 3:59:27 PM11/19/13
On 4-11-2013 06:19, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2013-11-04, Christer Jacobsson <cribo.j...@gaea.se> wrote:
>> Can RJ have gotten the name Shayol Ghul from CW or did he invent the
>> name "out of the blue" so to speak?
>
> ("CS", surely? Or "PMAL"?)
>
> He may have gotten from there. Or it may have been independent invention, but
> would not have been "out of the blue" - Sheol or Shayol or She'ol is a Hebrew
> word, used in the Old Testament for an older version of Hell or the afterlife.
> And a Ghul is a ghoul, Arabic-style...
>
> Dave, echoes of the past resound

Nice. I did not know this. Learned something today :)

Cassie