NBC's "Powerless" new promo

David

Jan 8, 2017, 2:29:24 PM1/8/17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjNDJlVevSI

Emily Locke lands her dream job as Director of Research and
Development for Wayne Security in Charm City, home to super heroes and
villains and citizens fed up with the collateral damage of their
constant fighting. Full of confidence and big ideas, Emily quickly
learns that her aspirations far exceed those of her new boss and
officemates, so it will be up to her to lead the team toward their
full potential and the realization that you don’t need superpowers to
be a hero. Subscribe to tvpromosdb on Youtube for more Powerless
season 1 promos in HD!

A Friend

Jan 8, 2017, 2:44:57 PM1/8/17
In article <gn457cl38oit784dk...@4ax.com>, David
<diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjNDJlVevSI
>
> Emily Locke lands her dream job as Director of Research and
> Development for Wayne Security in Charm City, home to super heroes and
> villains and citizens fed up with the collateral damage of their
> constant fighting. Full of confidence and big ideas, Emily quickly
> learns that her aspirations far exceed those of her new boss and
> officemates, so it will be up to her to lead the team toward their
> full potential and the realization that you don?t need superpowers to
> be a hero. Subscribe to tvpromosdb on Youtube for more Powerless
> season 1 promos in HD!

I was looking forward to this until I saw the first promo. Now, not so
much.

anim8rfsk

Jan 8, 2017, 3:13:33 PM1/8/17

Arthur Lipscomb

Jan 8, 2017, 3:56:23 PM1/8/17
Yeah, looks like they messed up the show with unnecessary retooling.
Weren't they originally supposed to work for an insurance company that
had to pay out the claims for all the damage caused by superheroes?

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 8, 2017, 4:43:47 PM1/8/17
My solution to that is to not watch the promos. Largely because they
are made by promotion departments.

--
Running the rec.arts.TV Channels Watched Survey.
Winter 2016 survey began Dec 01 and will end Feb 28

Obveeus

Jan 8, 2017, 7:35:20 PM1/8/17
Yep. POWERS (That Playstation series that is now dead) did a much
better job with the powerless folk.

Obveeus

Jan 8, 2017, 7:36:38 PM1/8/17
Yes. I remember thinking that it sounded a bit like THE INCREDIBLES in
that respect because the father worked insurance.

Obveeus

Jan 8, 2017, 7:37:23 PM1/8/17
...but they also tend to try and show the
'best parts', so seeing a total dud of a promo is not inspiring.

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 8, 2017, 8:58:14 PM1/8/17

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 8, 2017, 9:01:12 PM1/8/17
On 1/8/2017 4:37 PM, Obveeus wrote:

Sorry, I think I sent a blank reply by accident.

What I was trying to say is the promo dept frequently uses bits that
aren't even IN the actual film or show when they finish actually making
it. So I have doubts about their judgement regarding what are "the best
parts".

~consul

Jan 10, 2017, 11:56:10 PM1/10/17
On 1/8/2017 7:36 PM, Obveeus wrote:
> On 1/8/2017 3:56 PM, Arthur Liscomb wrote:
>> On 1/8/2017 12:13 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
((regarding Powerless))
>> Yeah, looks like they messed up the show with unnecessary retooling.
>> Weren't they originally supposed to work for an insurance company that
>> had to pay out the claims for all the damage caused by superheroes?
> Yes. I remember thinking that it sounded a bit like THE INCREDIBLES
> in that respect because the father worked insurance.

In the comics, there was a limited series called Damage Control (aka
DC) published by DC comics, who did just that.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here,
at the end of all things, we shall do what needs to be done."

A Friend

Jan 11, 2017, 2:21:45 AM1/11/17
In article <o54dqb$dpg$3...@dont-email.me>, ~consul
<con...@dolphinsPLEASEdelAWAY-cove.DELcom> wrote:

> On 1/8/2017 7:36 PM, Obveeus wrote:
> > On 1/8/2017 3:56 PM, Arthur Liscomb wrote:
> >> On 1/8/2017 12:13 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> ((regarding Powerless))
> >> Yeah, looks like they messed up the show with unnecessary retooling.
> >> Weren't they originally supposed to work for an insurance company that
> >> had to pay out the claims for all the damage caused by superheroes?
> > Yes. I remember thinking that it sounded a bit like THE INCREDIBLES
> > in that respect because the father worked insurance.
>
> In the comics, there was a limited series called Damage Control (aka
> DC) published by DC comics, who did just that.

I recall an old story about Superman visiting his lawyer once every
month in order to settle damage claims against him. If Superman
trashed your neighborhood fighting Luthor, the lawyer would arrange for
Superman to make it up to you by appearing at a fundraiser or
something.

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 11, 2017, 10:48:06 AM1/11/17
Shouldn't he make it up to me by rebuilding my house?

David Johnston

Jan 11, 2017, 2:26:56 PM1/11/17
I wonder at that. They did Superman rebuilding stuff he'd broken at
super speed sometimes but I wonder "is he actually qualified to build
skyscrapers?"

Winston

Jan 11, 2017, 3:12:20 PM1/11/17

On 1/10/2017 11:21 PM, A Friend wrote:
>>> I recall an old story about Superman visiting his lawyer once every
>>> month in order to settle damage claims against him. If Superman
>>> trashed your neighborhood fighting Luthor, the lawyer would arrange for
>>> Superman to make it up to you by appearing at a fundraiser or
>>> something.

On 1/11/2017 8:48 AM, Dimensional Traveler replied:

David Johnston <Davidjo...@yahoo.com> replied:
> I wonder at that. They did Superman rebuilding stuff he'd broken at
> super speed sometimes but I wonder "is he actually qualified to build
> skyscrapers?"

The Construction Workers Union would likely be unhappy. Getting all the
necessary building permits only goes at the speed of bureaucracy. No
building inspector is going to be able to adequately inspect work done
that fast, enough to be able to sign off on approving it. Big
buildings, like skyscrapers, have a lot of materials and wiring and
pipes and duct work, and quantities that large aren't cheap. Reporters
certainly don't make enough money to repair skyscrapers every few weeks,
and while he can make diamonds, it wouldn't do to flood the market. He
might have really good insurance, but then his premiums would be huge.
Etc. :)

Actually, I thought it was Marvel that had Damage Control. Reed
Richards paid much of the costs his family racked up out of profits on
sales and licensing of patents on his inventions.
-WBE

A Friend

Jan 11, 2017, 3:56:37 PM1/11/17
In article <o560qv$1o5$1...@dont-email.me>, David Johnston
He probably is -- Superman is capable of doing vast amounts of
research, and he's had *lots* of practice -- but the whole concept of
super-speed construction is deeply flawed. In building a skyscraper at
super-speed, Superman would have to be doing all that work in what he
perceives as real time. We'd see the building go up very quickly, but
to Superman -- well, how long would it take a person to construct a
skyscraper and all its innards single-handedly? Centuries, maybe.
Superman would be at it for eons, subjectively speaking, and without a
break. Of course, the comics show Superman doing stuff like building
skyscrapers in mere seconds, and to him it's only mere seconds.

anim8rfsk

Jan 11, 2017, 7:00:55 PM1/11/17
In article <110120171556312800%no...@noway.com>,
You can't build a skyscraper using established techniques at superspeed
anyway ... you have to wait for the concrete to set, and the rivets to
cool. If you cheat and use your super breath to accelerate the process
or something, you'll never pass inspection.

I've often thought about what you said re The Flash, who will do stuff
like clean his home in milliseconds and feel like that's all that
passed, while in subjective time it must have seemed like all day.

A Friend

Jan 11, 2017, 10:26:59 PM1/11/17
In article <anim8rfsk-1AB23...@news.easynews.com>,
Very good point. The nature of the building materials imposes absolute
limits on how fast Superman could build a skyscraper -- or anything
else, actually.

anim8rfsk

Jan 12, 2017, 12:09:30 AM1/12/17
In article <110120172226537914%no...@noway.com>,
He could probably make a bridge out of diamond or something. :D

Doc O'Leary

Jan 12, 2017, 10:57:13 AM1/12/17
For your reference, records indicate that
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> I've often thought about what you said re The Flash, who will do stuff
> like clean his home in milliseconds and feel like that's all that
> passed, while in subjective time it must have seemed like all day.

Is that canon? Is there really no thrill of speed for him? Running
across town is like running a marathon? Ugh. That’s not how I would
use a superpower to slow down time.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 12, 2017, 11:13:24 AM1/12/17
Give a new meaning to the old joke about 'want to buy a bridge'?

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 13, 2017, 2:56:43 PM1/13/17
Why is there never a huge cloud of dust whenever he does that on the
tv show?

On A.G.E.N.T.S. of Shield, that superspeed woman does it the Six Million
Dollar Man way: time passes at 1/10 speed while she's in the mode.

anim8rfsk

Jan 13, 2017, 3:48:52 PM1/13/17
In article <o5bbar$2t0$2...@dont-email.me>,
heh

> On A.G.E.N.T.S. of Shield, that superspeed woman does it the Six Million
> Dollar Man way: time passes at 1/10 speed while she's in the mode.

*Way* faster. Less than a second (one heartbeat) passes during one of
her excursions.

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 13, 2017, 4:30:28 PM1/13/17
There are so many things that have to be speed up for even a "short
term" (whatever THAT means in this context) super speed. Nerve impulses
have to travel faster, the brain has to think faster, muscles have to
contract and relax in a controlled manner faster, blood has to flow
faster to power all the rest, which means the heart has to beat faster
and the lungs breathe faster (possibly fast enough to have used up all
the oxygen that is available until the speedster has moved forward
another foot), etc. The effect of all of that is that the speedster's
_perception_ of time has to speed up too.

anim8rfsk

Jan 13, 2017, 5:04:04 PM1/13/17
In article <o5bgqi$ndm$1...@dont-email.me>,
Apparently her heart doesn't beat while she's speeding, which of course
makes no sense. Gravity has to speed up too or your feet won't go back
to the ground ...

Ubiquitous

Jan 13, 2017, 8:04:04 PM1/13/17
Isn't gravity instantanious?

--
Obama is now listing all his accomplishments using Twitter, where 140
characters seems more than enough.

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 13, 2017, 9:57:24 PM1/13/17
That's a trick question about artificial versus natural. I ain't
fallin' for it.

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 13, 2017, 10:26:00 PM1/13/17
No, gravitational force travels at the speed of light.

anim8rfsk

Jan 13, 2017, 11:03:41 PM1/13/17
In article <-7ednap57pFj5eTF...@giganews.com>,
No.

If you drop something, it takes, say, a second to hit the ground, right?

If you're somehow accelerated 100x faster than normal, from your point
of view, the something you drop will now take 100 seconds to hit the
ground, and if you let it go it will seem to be floating.

Same thing with your feet. Your muscles lift the foot, but gravity puts
it back down. You simply can't run super fast, like the Flash, or even
Steve Austin. In the Six Million Dollar Man books, they explained his
speed by saying he was taking enormous strides, not that he was taking a
hundred steps for every one of yours.

Da Flash's handwave for this is the magical Speed Force, which can do
just about anything, because it's magic.

anim8rfsk

Jan 13, 2017, 11:04:15 PM1/13/17
In article <o5c5l7$c0t$2...@dont-email.me>,
Don't make me come over there.

anim8rfsk

Jan 13, 2017, 11:04:26 PM1/13/17
In article <o5c3vj$6oa$2...@dont-email.me>,
hee hee

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 14, 2017, 12:46:35 AM1/14/17
I'll make you come over here at super speed!

(Why would you need to come over here?)

Ubiquitous

Jan 14, 2017, 4:14:13 AM1/14/17
In article <anim8rfsk-3B38D...@news.easynews.com>, anim...@cox.net wrote:
I meant that it starts to fall as soon as the object is no longer being held.
If the Sun vanished, the Earth would immediately stop moving in a circular path.

anim8rfsk

Jan 14, 2017, 10:26:53 AM1/14/17
In article <BPudnXlFCKl9duTF...@giganews.com>,
Um ... so?

Obveeus

Jan 14, 2017, 10:45:19 AM1/14/17
So we'd all fall off the edge.

Doc O'Leary

Jan 14, 2017, 11:23:46 AM1/14/17
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> I meant that it starts to fall as soon as the object is no longer being held.
> If the Sun vanished, the Earth would immediately stop moving in a circular path.

Incorrect. All observations show that gravity is also limited to the
speed of light:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_gravity>

Of course, reality tends to have little to do with comic book physics.

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 14, 2017, 1:29:28 PM1/14/17
No, actually, it wouldn't. The carrier of gravitational force moves at
the speed of light. It is like walking into a lit room, the photons
that were already in the room will illuminate you as soon as you enter.
There isn't a fraction of a second where you are not illuminated while
newly emitted photons travel to you from the light bulb and the ones
already bouncing around the room pass thru you.

David Johnston

Jan 14, 2017, 1:36:02 PM1/14/17
No, that would happen 8 minutes later.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jan 17, 2017, 7:25:51 PM1/17/17
If he can rebuild the Great Wall of China just by looking at it, he can
rebuild a skyscraper the same way. ;-)

anim8rfsk

Jan 17, 2017, 9:46:17 PM1/17/17
In article <o5mcjc$v07$1...@dont-email.me>,
And it was broad daylight in China same as it was in Metropolis ...