"The Last Airbender" teaser trailer

David

Jun 23, 2009, 12:39:37 PM6/23/09

Beowulf Bolt

Jun 23, 2009, 3:30:25 PM6/23/09
David wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZjjMBXMpk

That rates a hearty "meh".

(Once was a time that I'd actually have been a little excited at the
thought of this film. Ever since Shyamalan and his cast of Anglos were
announced, however...)

Biff

"All around me darkness gathers, fading is the sun that shone,
we must speak of other matters, you can be me when I'm gone..."
- SANDMAN #67, Neil Gaiman

Invid Fan

Jun 23, 2009, 5:06:36 PM6/23/09
In article <4A412D...@shaw.ca>, Beowulf Bolt
<abd.al...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> David wrote:
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZjjMBXMpk
>
> That rates a hearty "meh".
>
> (Once was a time that I'd actually have been a little excited at the
> thought of this film. Ever since Shyamalan and his cast of Anglos were
> announced, however...)

The race of the cast doesn't matter to me, as after all it doesn't take
place on Earth and any attempt to do real racial casting would take
just as much heat ("OK, we're making all the Water Tribe Native
Americans, all the Fire Tribe Russians, all the Earth Tribe Mexicans,
and all the Air Benders Korean")

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

Ken from Chicago

Jun 23, 2009, 11:12:29 PM6/23/09

"David" <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZjjMBXMpk

Jedi kid 2.0!

-- Ken from Chicago

Pete B

Jun 24, 2009, 10:57:21 AM6/24/09
In article <r81245prn5c3pmkot...@4ax.com>, dimlan17
@yahoo.com says...
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZjjMBXMpk

Please report back when its available in good qualiy :)

Kujo

Jun 25, 2009, 4:16:10 PM6/25/09
David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZjjMBXMpk

It's been downhill for M.Night since "Unbreakable". I think his ego got in
the way of him making good films.

I know people love to hate on him (it's well deserved), but I hope this is
finally a return to form.

Never heard about this film until now. Just reading the synopsis, it
sounds interesting.

Kujo

Jun 25, 2009, 4:27:02 PM6/25/09
Kujo <ku...@noname.com> wrote in

Just found out it's based on a Nickelodeon cartoon series.

Beowulf Bolt

Jun 25, 2009, 4:40:30 PM6/25/09
Kujo wrote:

> Just found out it's based on a Nickelodeon cartoon series.

It is worth stating that it was based upon an *excellent* cartoon
series. Well-written, with complex characters and attention to detail
and continuity, and appealing to young and old alike (I watched it with
my kids). How it ended up on Nickelodeon is anyone's guess.

Even if M. Knight f*cks the whole thing up, the original three-season
anime-inspired cartoon is well worth seeking out.

Invid Fan

Jun 25, 2009, 4:47:00 PM6/25/09
In article <Xns9C35A75A450...@69.16.186.8>, Kujo
<ku...@noname.com> wrote:

A rather deep and serious one, within limitations. This will be the
real test for M.Night, as it's a straight adaptation of an existing
story with no gimmick. There's a filmed conversation between the two
creators of the show and M. Night on DVD 5 of the season 2 set.
Interestingly, the show then included a pre-empted bashing of the movie
near the end of season 3 :)

Ian J. Ball

Jun 25, 2009, 4:55:17 PM6/25/09
On Jun 25, 1:16 pm, Kujo <k...@noname.com> wrote:
> David <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote innews:r81245prn5c3pmkot...@4ax.com:

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZjjMBXMpk
>
> It's been downhill for M.Night since "Unbreakable".  I think his ego got in
> the way of him making good films.

I don't totally agree with this. I didn't particularly like
"Unbreakable" (it was paced *glacially*). But I thought "Signs" was
quite enjoyable, and "The Village" was interesting at least. (I never
saw his mermaid pic, nor his ridiculous enviro flick...)

shawn

Jun 25, 2009, 6:00:43 PM6/25/09
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:47:00 -0400, Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com>
wrote:

Is he really going for a straight adaptation? If so then hurray! It's
a wonderful series and quite a surprise for me when I happened upon it
late during the first season. I hope he does a good job with it as I
haven't been too pleased with his latest offerings. At least it sounds
like this may turn out better than the abomination that "Dragon Ball
Evolution" seems likely to be based on the few trailers I've seen.

Invid Fan

Jun 25, 2009, 7:06:24 PM6/25/09
In article <4A43E0...@shaw.ca>, Beowulf Bolt
<abd.al...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Kujo wrote:
> >
> > Just found out it's based on a Nickelodeon cartoon series.
>
> It is worth stating that it was based upon an *excellent* cartoon
> series. Well-written, with complex characters and attention to detail
> and continuity, and appealing to young and old alike (I watched it with
> my kids). How it ended up on Nickelodeon is anyone's guess.

The same way Daria somehow ended up on MTV, pure luck :)

Invid Fan

Jun 25, 2009, 7:06:25 PM6/25/09
In article <mns74556gnffnionm...@4ax.com>, shawn
<nanof...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:47:00 -0400, Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <Xns9C35A75A450...@69.16.186.8>, Kujo
> ><ku...@noname.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Kujo <ku...@noname.com> wrote in

> >> Just found out it's based on a Nickelodeon cartoon series.
> >
> >A rather deep and serious one, within limitations. This will be the
> >real test for M.Night, as it's a straight adaptation of an existing
> >story with no gimmick. There's a filmed conversation between the two
> >creators of the show and M. Night on DVD 5 of the season 2 set.
> >Interestingly, the show then included a pre-empted bashing of the movie
> >near the end of season 3 :)
>
> Is he really going for a straight adaptation? If so then hurray!

3 movies, one per season. What he cuts and what he keeps will probably
be the key.

Kujo

Jun 26, 2009, 9:01:07 AM6/26/09
"Ian J. Ball" <ib...@san.rr.com> wrote in

> On Jun 25, 1:16�pm, Kujo <k...@noname.com> wrote:
>> David <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote

>> innews:r81245prn5c3pmkotjvb6e0upkup9vob1
> i...@4ax.com:

>> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZjjMBXMpk
>>
>> It's been downhill for M.Night since "Unbreakable". �I think his ego
>> go
> t in
>> the way of him making good films.
>
> I don't totally agree with this. I didn't particularly like
> "Unbreakable" (it was paced *glacially*). But I thought "Signs" was
> quite enjoyable, and "The Village" was interesting at least. (I never
> saw his mermaid pic, nor his ridiculous enviro flick...)

Signs was "OK". It wasn't anything special. It didn't show the same
promise is first two films did. I've never seen "The Village", and any of
his more recent films due to the universal bad reviews.

Kujo

Jun 26, 2009, 9:05:44 AM6/26/09
Beowulf Bolt <abd.al...@shaw.ca> wrote in news:4A43E0...@shaw.ca:

> Kujo wrote:
>>
>> Just found out it's based on a Nickelodeon cartoon series.
>
> It is worth stating that it was based upon an *excellent* cartoon
> series. Well-written, with complex characters and attention to detail
> and continuity, and appealing to young and old alike (I watched it with
> my kids). How it ended up on Nickelodeon is anyone's guess.
>
> Even if M. Knight f*cks the whole thing up, the original three-season
> anime-inspired cartoon is well worth seeking out.
>
> Biff

Thanks for pointing that out. I figured it was a real kiddy, childish
cartoon series since it was Nick.

I had never even heard of this series, and I'm big fan cartoon series that
appeal to adults. I'll check it out.

Kujo

Jun 26, 2009, 9:18:19 AM6/26/09
shawn <nanof...@gmail.com> wrote in

The fan boys are upset that they casted a white kid in the lead role
instead of an Asian kid. :)

Beowulf Bolt

Jun 26, 2009, 10:20:47 AM6/26/09
Kujo wrote:

> The fan boys are upset that they casted a white kid in the lead role
> instead of an Asian kid. :)

It's not just the lead. Pretty much all the casting has been your
typical MTV-generation white kids, rather than the more exotic casting
of the original show. That and the fact that most of the characters are
accomplished martial artists of one form or another, but that doesn't
even appear to have been considered in the casting process.

It's not a deal-breaker on its own, but it's a bad sign. The way
casting Casper van Dien was to play the Philippino protagonist of
Starship Troopers. It immediately sends a signal that fidelity to the
source material is of little to no concern.

Combine that with M. Knight's descent into hackery, and you've got
cause for consternation. Add in the bad CGI in the teaser, and we've
already arguably hit strike three.

Kujo

Jun 26, 2009, 12:21:52 PM6/26/09

> Kujo wrote:
>>
>> The fan boys are upset that they casted a white kid in the lead role
>> instead of an Asian kid. :)
>
> It's not just the lead. Pretty much all the casting has been your
> typical MTV-generation white kids, rather than the more exotic casting
> of the original show. That and the fact that most of the characters
> are accomplished martial artists of one form or another, but that
> doesn't even appear to have been considered in the casting process.
>
> It's not a deal-breaker on its own, but it's a bad sign. The way
> casting Casper van Dien was to play the Philippino protagonist of
> Starship Troopers. It immediately sends a signal that fidelity to the
> source material is of little to no concern.
>
> Combine that with M. Knight's descent into hackery, and you've got
> cause for consternation. Add in the bad CGI in the teaser, and we've
> already arguably hit strike three.
>
> Biff

I'm not surprised, as this is the infuriating trend in Hollywood these
days.

Didn't they cast the lead young actor from "Slumdog Millionaire". I've
seen him in screen shots.

writerpatrick.webs.com

Jun 26, 2009, 1:07:38 PM6/26/09

"Kujo" <ku...@noname.com> wrote in message

>> Is he really going for a straight adaptation? If so then hurray! It's
>> a wonderful series and quite a surprise for me when I happened upon it
>> late during the first season. I hope he does a good job with it as I
>> haven't been too pleased with his latest offerings. At least it sounds
>> like this may turn out better than the abomination that "Dragon Ball
>> Evolution" seems likely to be based on the few trailers I've seen.
>
> The fan boys are upset that they casted a white kid in the lead role
> instead of an Asian kid. :)

It should be "cast" not "casted".

And the casting of Airbender is completely wrong. It's not just about one
character racially miscast, it's about almost ALL the characters racially
miscast. It only highlights Hollywood's racism. (Try watching some of the
40s movies where white men are playing "yellow face" Orientals.) It also
suggests that the story will be completely changed from the series, as the
Dragonball movie was. Whenever the do that it almost always signals a bad
movie.

I don't mind changes in a story, in fact it's necessary when converting a
story for the screen. However, too often what appears on screen has
absolutely nothing to do with the original story, which in most cases is far
better. This isn't like the Star Trek remake where everyone making the film
is familiar with the original already, it's more a case where those making
the film know absolutely nothing about the original so they just use the
character names and make up their own story with characters completely
different from what they should be.

From the trailer it appears that someone has at least paid some attention to
the original series since much of the look appears the same. (The air temple
really did look like an air temple as it appeared in the series.) But it
will take more information before any proper judgment can be made.

Although Dragonball did turn out to be just as bad as fans feared.

--
Patrick McNamara
E-mail: patjmc...@gmail.com

Beowulf Bolt

Jun 26, 2009, 4:29:27 PM6/26/09
Kujo wrote:

> > It's not just the lead. Pretty much all the casting has been your
> > typical MTV-generation white kids, rather than the more exotic
> > casting of the original show.

[snippage]

> Didn't they cast the lead young actor from "Slumdog Millionaire".
> I've seen him in screen shots.

You're right. It would have been more correct to complain about the
major casting, or even more precise still to have focused on the casting
of the three primary roles. The extended casting is far more ethnically
diverse.

Invid Fan

Jun 26, 2009, 8:08:23 PM6/26/09
In article <Xns9C365C864F2...@69.16.186.8>, Kujo
<ku...@noname.com> wrote:

> Beowulf Bolt <abd.al...@shaw.ca> wrote in news:4A43E0...@shaw.ca:
>
> > Kujo wrote:
> >>
> >> Just found out it's based on a Nickelodeon cartoon series.
> >
> > It is worth stating that it was based upon an *excellent* cartoon
> > series. Well-written, with complex characters and attention to detail
> > and continuity, and appealing to young and old alike (I watched it with
> > my kids). How it ended up on Nickelodeon is anyone's guess.
> >
> > Even if M. Knight f*cks the whole thing up, the original three-season
> > anime-inspired cartoon is well worth seeking out.
> >
> > Biff
> >

> Thanks for pointing that out. I figured it was a real kiddy, childish
> cartoon series since it was Nick.

It's part of a wave of action shows that, while there's comic relief,
are more focused on plot, character, and, well, action :) Ben 10,
Avatar, maybe Kim Possible (haven't seen much) and of course going back
to the great Bruce Timm superhero shows (Batman, Superman, Justice
League). The Secret Saturdays is also interesting, but seems to be
missing something...

As for it being on Nick, most of their stuff seems aimed at the middle
school crowd to be honest.

> I had never even heard of this series, and I'm big fan cartoon series that
> appeal to adults. I'll check it out.

When you do, understand that there IS character development and thus
Sokka is much more then wacky comedy relief, and if you think Katara is
too self righteous... well, others might think so too :)

Merrick Baldelli

Jun 27, 2009, 6:22:45 PM6/27/09
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:27:02 GMT, Kujo <ku...@noname.com> wrote:

>> Never heard about this film until now. Just reading the synopsis, it
>> sounds interesting.
>
>Just found out it's based on a Nickelodeon cartoon series.

Christ on a Drunken Rampage, and people accuse me of living
under a rock.

Well congrats there, you certainly prove me actually having a
life.

--
-=-=-/ )=*=-='=-.-'-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
_( (_ , '_ * . Merrick Baldelli

Merrick Baldelli

Jun 27, 2009, 6:22:45 PM6/27/09
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:20:47 -0600, Beowulf Bolt
<abd.al...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> It's not just the lead. Pretty much all the casting has been your
>typical MTV-generation white kids, rather than the more exotic casting
>of the original show.

*laughing* It's being produced in Hollywood. Why is this
such a damned surprise?

>That and the fact that most of the characters are
>accomplished martial artists of one form or another, but that doesn't
>even appear to have been considered in the casting process.

You were there when they were casting?

> It's not a deal-breaker on its own, but it's a bad sign. The way
>casting Casper van Dien was to play the Philippino protagonist of
>Starship Troopers. It immediately sends a signal that fidelity to the
>source material is of little to no concern.

Well that and the fact that the Hollywood story only borrowed
the name, and sketched out some of the details of Heinlein's book...
Well that and the Heinlein's fans were already out the gates because
the sneak previews to it were pretty apparent that it was /not/ a
rendition of Heinlein's book.

> Combine that with M. Knight's descent into hackery, and you've got
>cause for consternation. Add in the bad CGI in the teaser, and we've
>already arguably hit strike three.

I'll be here when you find out that it can go infinitely
lower..

---

After watching the trailer:

Yep... I'll be waiting 'til it's out on DVD. Should be about
3 months after the premiere. Whether it turns into a coffee coaster
remains to be seen.

Invid Fan

Jun 27, 2009, 11:01:54 PM6/27/09
In article <6gkb451fbllo873h7...@4ax.com>, Merrick
Baldelli <mbal...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:27:02 GMT, Kujo <ku...@noname.com> wrote:
>
> >> Never heard about this film until now. Just reading the synopsis, it
> >> sounds interesting.
> >
> >Just found out it's based on a Nickelodeon cartoon series.
>
> Christ on a Drunken Rampage, and people accuse me of living
> under a rock.

If he has no kids, how would he know of any Nick shows? I couldn't have
named a single one until hearing about Avatar at the start of season 2
and have no idea what they air now.

ravenlynne

Jun 28, 2009, 1:37:37 AM6/28/09

Hell, I have kids and try to tune them out.

Unfortunately my husband loves Avatar.

Pete B

Jun 28, 2009, 11:38:30 AM6/28/09
In article <230620091706360266%in...@loclanet.com>, in...@loclanet.com
says...

> In article <4A412D...@shaw.ca>, Beowulf Bolt
> <abd.al...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > David wrote:
> > >
> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZjjMBXMpk
> >
> > That rates a hearty "meh".
> >
> > (Once was a time that I'd actually have been a little excited at the
> > thought of this film. Ever since Shyamalan and his cast of Anglos were
> > announced, however...)
> >
> The race of the cast doesn't matter to me,

It does to those who feel persecuted by the movie.

Pete B

Jun 28, 2009, 11:39:20 AM6/28/09
In article <475f5143-42ef-4e7c-93ac-d965fb6115a9
@s1g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, ib...@san.rr.com says...

> (I never
> saw his mermaid pic, nor his ridiculous enviro flick...)

How do you know its ridiculous if you haven't seen it? :)

Beowulf Bolt

Jun 29, 2009, 11:13:24 AM6/29/09

You've captured it exactly. I am SO very persecuted by this movie.
<eyeroll>

Shmuck.

ObSheesh: sheesh.

Merrick Baldelli

Jun 30, 2009, 12:23:12 PM6/30/09
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:01:54 -0400, Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com>
wrote:

>If he has no kids, how would he know of any Nick shows? I couldn't have

>named a single one until hearing about Avatar at the start of season 2
>and have no idea what they air now.

Technically I have no kids, and yet... I knew about it. It's
hard not to catch the advertisements as they were shown on just about
every Nickelodeon-affiliated station out there. Cross-advertising on
cable television seems common for some years now.

Invid Fan

Jun 30, 2009, 1:11:12 PM6/30/09
In article <ijfj45tpuqs5st8fk...@4ax.com>, Merrick
Baldelli <mbal...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:01:54 -0400, Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com>
> wrote:
>
> >If he has no kids, how would he know of any Nick shows? I couldn't have
> >named a single one until hearing about Avatar at the start of season 2
> >and have no idea what they air now.
>
> Technically I have no kids, and yet... I knew about it. It's
> hard not to catch the advertisements as they were shown on just about
> every Nickelodeon-affiliated station out there. Cross-advertising on
> cable television seems common for some years now.

I never saw an ad for Avatar, to be honest, nor do I now see any ads
for Nick shows. I guess Cartoon Network doesn't want to air them? :)
(Comedy Central might be a Viacom station, but I see few ads for toons
during the Daily Show).

Pete B

Jun 30, 2009, 9:25:26 PM6/30/09
In article <4A48DA...@shaw.ca>, abd.al...@shaw.ca says...

> Pete B wrote:
> >
> > In article <230620091706360266%in...@loclanet.com>, in...@loclanet.com
> > says...

> > > The race of the cast doesn't matter to me,
> >
> > It does to those who feel persecuted by the movie.
>
> You've captured it exactly. I am SO very persecuted by this movie.
> <eyeroll>
>
> Shmuck.

Racist.

Merrick Baldelli

Jul 2, 2009, 6:20:30 AM7/2/09
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:11:12 -0400, Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com>
wrote:

>I never saw an ad for Avatar, to be honest, nor do I now see any ads

>for Nick shows. I guess Cartoon Network doesn't want to air them? :)
>(Comedy Central might be a Viacom station, but I see few ads for toons
>during the Daily Show).

I've seen Air Bender (the cartoon on Nick) shown on USA around
here. I did a little research with the programming staff for the
local cable provider about what you're saying here and after the
programming staff stopped hissing and doing crucifixes in my direction
for actually asking the question -- they tell me that it's one of
those YMMV moments where other cable television stations will go into
the local market and buy up a local market spot in order to cross
advertise their stations.
Sometimes they're quite amicable about it, other times there
are contract disputes involving what can and cannot be
cross-advertised on what channels... Which is probably why when I
asked about Nickelodeon/Nick-at-Nite, they hissed like Smeagol being
held by elven rope.

Merrick Baldelli

Jul 2, 2009, 6:20:30 AM7/2/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:39:20 +0200, Pete B <xxxh@_xsomeething.com>
wrote:

>How do you know its ridiculous if you haven't seen it? :)

The same way I know that me fucking a woman would be a
disgusting foray into things that I escaped from once, and don't ever
want to go near again, you silly old twat..

Beowulf Bolt

Jul 6, 2009, 12:43:19 PM7/6/09

LOL! Which race, exactly, is it that I am supposed to hate?

Pete B

Jul 8, 2009, 7:55:24 PM7/8/09
In article <4A5229...@shaw.ca>, abd.al...@shaw.ca says...

> Pete B wrote:

> > > You've captured it exactly. I am SO very persecuted by this
> > > movie. <eyeroll>
> > >
> > > Shmuck.
> >
> > Racist.
>
> LOL! Which race, exactly, is it that I am supposed to hate?

All of them.

Beowulf Bolt

Jul 9, 2009, 11:24:37 AM7/9/09

Damn. You've got me pegged.