10 Reasons Why 'Fringe' Is Better Than 'The X-Files'

Dawnie

Sep 19, 2009, 4:05:44 AM9/19/09
<http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvox/archive/2009/09/17/10-reasons-why-fringe-is-better-than-the-x-files.aspx>

Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:00 PM
10 Reasons Why 'Fringe' Is Better Than 'The X-Files'
Raina Kelley

<snip some X-Files' crabbiness>

----------
I know, I may be setting myself up for another heartbreak (and maybe I
still am), but already Fringe is 10 million times better than The
X-Files. Why? Let me count the ways:

1. No aliens. OK, there�s an alternative universe, but at least
everybody�s human.

2. The mysteries seem more solvable. Of course, there are
unanswered questions at the end of every episode. But they�re not too
stupid to beggar belief.

3. The characters don�t take themselves too seriously. There�s
Agent Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv), who heads up the investigations.
Peter Bishop (Dawson Creek�s Joshua Jackson), the wise-cracking slack
genius who helps her by taking care of his father, Dr. Walter Bishop
(John Noble), who is completely insane. I mean really, Mulder did all
that pouting and screaming and what did it get him? Nothing.

4. The pseudoscience is at least theoretically possible and
doesn�t require great leaps of the imagination. There�s a running
storyline in which computer geniuses are trying to download
information from a dead man�s brain.

5. Every episode has a beginning, a middle, and an end.

6. There are no love affairs�yet.

7. Leonard Nimoy is in it. He is the shadowy head of Massive
Dynamic, a huge multinational corporation that is a combination of GE,
Microsoft, and Blackwater.

8. There�s a lot more racial diversity in Fringe. Yeah, X-Files
had a few black people, but it really was this weird world where
people of other hues were mostly used as plot devices.

9. Because Fringe actually knows where it�s storylines are going,
it doesn�t rely on filler episodes to distract you from the fact that
you�re being sold a bag of nothing.

10. Fringe is worth watching just for Noble. His characterization
of Bishop, the mad scientist at the heart of the show, is at turns
brilliant, exasperating, hysterical and tragic. It�s the best of The
X-Files in one man.
----------

What do you think?

I'm guessing you guys are going to have some fun with #4 <g>. I'm sold
on #6 (minus that one last word), #9 and #10. I'll add that the
relationship between Peter and Walter is great, and has only improved,
if the first episode of season 2 is anything to go by.

Ken from Chicago

Sep 19, 2009, 8:31:15 AM9/19/09

"Dawnie" <siok...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> <http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvox/archive/2009/09/17/10-reasons-why-fringe-is-better-than-the-x-files.aspx>
>
> Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:00 PM
> 10 Reasons Why 'Fringe' Is Better Than 'The X-Files'
> Raina Kelley
>
> <snip some X-Files' crabbiness>
>
> ----------
> I know, I may be setting myself up for another heartbreak (and maybe I
> still am), but already Fringe is 10 million times better than The
> X-Files. Why? Let me count the ways:
>
> 1. No aliens. OK, there's an alternative universe, but at least
> everybody's human.

Why's that "better"?

> 2. The mysteries seem more solvable. Of course, there are
> unanswered questions at the end of every episode. But they're not too
> stupid to beggar belief.

Harder less solvable mysteries are more stupid?

> 3. The characters don't take themselves too seriously. There's
> Agent Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv), who heads up the investigations.
> Peter Bishop (Dawson Creek's Joshua Jackson), the wise-cracking slack
> genius who helps her by taking care of his father, Dr. Walter Bishop
> (John Noble), who is completely insane. I mean really, Mulder did all
> that pouting and screaming and what did it get him? Nothing.

Mulder didn't take himself seriously, and neither did Scully.

That said, in a world where the mainstream views sf as only kiddie fare,
incapable of grown up serious drama, THE X-FILES was pioneer for showing sf
could indeed be serious grown up drama.

> 4. The pseudoscience is at least theoretically possible and
> doesn't require great leaps of the imagination. There's a running
> storyline in which computer geniuses are trying to download
> information from a dead man's brain.

Ah, so speaks the writer [as opposed to the poster, Dawnie, who is quoting
the writer, Raina Kelley] who wants less fictional science in their science
fiction. Too much imagination is hard work. Okay, got it.

> 5. Every episode has a beginning, a middle, and an end.

Every episode on tv does. Not every one has a conclusion. Okay, it's a nit,
but I get the point. More substantively some eps of FRINGE have ended with
the antagonist escaping, just like THE X-FILES.

> 6. There are no love affairs-yet.

There was too little in THE X-FILES, not that romance needed to dominate the
storyline. THE OFFICE has had romances yet the focus has manage to remain at
the office of Dunder Mifflin (Miffin?). BABYLON 5 had several marriages
while the main storyline continued. People really need to get over the MYTH
of the MOONLIGHTING syndrome.

> 7. Leonard Nimoy is in it. He is the shadowy head of Massive
> Dynamic, a huge multinational corporation that is a combination of GE,
> Microsoft, and Blackwater.

Okay that is a plus--but he was in it for all of five minutes. Me wanna
more.

> 8. There's a lot more racial diversity in Fringe. Yeah, X-Files
> had a few black people, but it really was this weird world where
> people of other hues were mostly used as plot devices.

Yeah, it was the 1990s--the decade where SEINFELD and FRIENDS seemed to live
in Pale York city.

> 9. Because Fringe actually knows where it's storylines are going,
> it doesn't rely on filler episodes to distract you from the fact that
> you're being sold a bag of nothing.

Broadcast tv in the 90s wasn't as friendly to serial tv. They needed the
single "monsters of the week" episode. Plus some viewers didn't care for the
arc / "mythology" episodes.

> 10. Fringe is worth watching just for Noble. His characterization
> of Bishop, the mad scientist at the heart of the show, is at turns
> brilliant, exasperating, hysterical and tragic. It's the best of The
> X-Files in one man.

Tru dat.

> ----------
>
> What do you think?
>
> I'm guessing you guys are going to have some fun with #4 <g>. I'm sold

The pres of Syfy certainly agreed with # 4. Less "sf" in sf shows.

> on #6 (minus that one last word), #9 and #10. I'll add that the
> relationship between Peter and Walter is great, and has only improved,
> if the first episode of season 2 is anything to go by.

Yep, they replaced romantic love with familial love.

-- Ken from Chicago

Pete B

Sep 19, 2009, 9:58:24 AM9/19/09
In article <7u39b51067ibbgm8r...@4ax.com>,
siok...@gmail.com says...

> 9. Because Fringe actually knows where it?s storylines are going,
> it doesn?t rely on filler episodes to distract you from the fact that
> you?re being sold a bag of nothing.

Yeah right, dream on.

Pete B

Sep 19, 2009, 10:01:25 AM9/19/09
In article <OoudnX63tMqHUinX...@giganews.com>,
kwicker1...@comcast.net says...

> > genius who helps her by taking care of his father, Dr. Walter Bishop
> > (John Noble), who is completely insane. I mean really, Mulder did all
> > that pouting and screaming and what did it get him? Nothing.
>
> Mulder didn't take himself seriously, and neither did Scully.

No, but she took herself serious *g*

Davej

Sep 19, 2009, 10:09:06 AM9/19/09
On Sep 19, 2:05 am, Dawnie <siokm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvox/archive/2009/09/17/10-reasons-w...>

> Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:00 PM
> 10 Reasons Why 'Fringe' Is Better Than 'The X-Files'
> Raina Kelley
> [...]

> 10. Fringe is worth watching just for Noble. His characterization
> of Bishop, the mad scientist at the heart of the show, is at turns
> brilliant, exasperating, hysterical and tragic. It’s the best of The
> X-Files in one man.

No, he's the main reason I stopped watching around episode 3.

David

Sep 19, 2009, 11:21:25 AM9/19/09
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 16:05:44 +0800, Dawnie <siok...@gmail.com> wrote:

><http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvox/archive/2009/09/17/10-reasons-why-fringe-is-better-than-the-x-files.aspx>
>
>Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:00 PM
>10 Reasons Why 'Fringe' Is Better Than 'The X-Files'
>Raina Kelley

> 1. No aliens. OK, there�s an alternative universe, but at least
>everybody�s human.

Aliens are more believable than most of the creatures on "Fringe."

> 3. The characters don�t take themselves too seriously. There�s
>Agent Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv), who heads up the investigations.
>Peter Bishop (Dawson Creek�s Joshua Jackson), the wise-cracking slack
>genius who helps her by taking care of his father, Dr. Walter Bishop
>(John Noble), who is completely insane. I mean really, Mulder did all
>that pouting and screaming and what did it get him? Nothing.

That's true. Shows are much more self-aware these days because
audiences would make fun of anything that takes itself too seriously.

> 4. The pseudoscience is at least theoretically possible and
>doesn�t require great leaps of the imagination. There�s a running
>storyline in which computer geniuses are trying to download
>information from a dead man�s brain.

I love the pseudoscience aspect. I don't care how realistic it is so
long as it's sold convincingly.

> 9. Because Fringe actually knows where it�s storylines are going,
>it doesn�t rely on filler episodes to distract you from the fact that
>you�re being sold a bag of nothing.

That's probably "The X-Files"s legacy. Most shows made after it will
have at least some basic idea of where it's going. "Fringe" does have
filler episodes but they're usually worth watching anyway for...

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 19, 2009, 2:01:07 PM9/19/09
Dawnie wrote:
> <http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvox/archive/2009/09/17/10-reasons-why-fringe-is-better-than-the-x-files.aspx>
>
> Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:00 PM
> 10 Reasons Why 'Fringe' Is Better Than 'The X-Files'
> Raina Kelley
>
> <snip some X-Files' crabbiness>
>
> ----------
> I know, I may be setting myself up for another heartbreak (and maybe I
> still am), but already Fringe is 10 million times better than The
> X-Files. Why? Let me count the ways:
>
> 1. No aliens. OK, there�s an alternative universe, but at least
> everybody�s human.

> 2. The mysteries seem more solvable. Of course, there are
> unanswered questions at the end of every episode. But they�re not too
> stupid to beggar belief.
>
> 3. The characters don�t take themselves too seriously. There�s

> Agent Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv), who heads up the investigations.
> Peter Bishop (Dawson Creek�s Joshua Jackson), the wise-cracking slack

> genius who helps her by taking care of his father, Dr. Walter Bishop
> (John Noble), who is completely insane. I mean really, Mulder did all
> that pouting and screaming and what did it get him? Nothing.
>
> 4. The pseudoscience is at least theoretically possible and
> doesn�t require great leaps of the imagination. There�s a running

> storyline in which computer geniuses are trying to download
> information from a dead man�s brain.

> 5. Every episode has a beginning, a middle, and an end.
>
> 6. There are no love affairs�yet.

> 7. Leonard Nimoy is in it. He is the shadowy head of Massive
> Dynamic, a huge multinational corporation that is a combination of GE,
> Microsoft, and Blackwater.
>
> 8. There�s a lot more racial diversity in Fringe. Yeah, X-Files

> had a few black people, but it really was this weird world where
> people of other hues were mostly used as plot devices.
>
> 9. Because Fringe actually knows where it�s storylines are going,
> it doesn�t rely on filler episodes to distract you from the fact that
> you�re being sold a bag of nothing.

> 10. Fringe is worth watching just for Noble. His characterization
> of Bishop, the mad scientist at the heart of the show, is at turns
> brilliant, exasperating, hysterical and tragic. It�s the best of The

> X-Files in one man.
> ----------
>
> What do you think?
>
> I'm guessing you guys are going to have some fun with #4 <g>. I'm sold
> on #6 (minus that one last word), #9 and #10. I'll add that the
> relationship between Peter and Walter is great, and has only improved,
> if the first episode of season 2 is anything to go by.

I don't think #1 is quite true. The Shapechanging Super Soldiers (SSS)
don't strike me as what we would define as "human".

#4 is questionable but this _is_ a Sci-Fi show so they're allowed to
bend the laws of physics. (Just don't break them! :-P )

--
Things I learned from Usenet #29: Do not chew the peach.
Veni, Vidi, Snarki.

JM Morrison

Sep 19, 2009, 2:42:20 PM9/19/09

And we won't mention the 'virus' last season that was the size of a
house cat.

Or how Peter and Walter managed to get from Boston to the accident site
in Manhattan before the cars were moved and the street re-opened to
traffic. Don't know how it works in Manhattan, but around here unless
there are bodies, those cars are gone within the hour.

-jmm

Jim Gysin

Sep 19, 2009, 3:21:15 PM9/19/09

Dawnie sent the following on 9/19/2009 3:05 AM:

> <http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvox/archive/2009/09/17/10-reasons-why-fringe-is-better-than-the-x-files.aspx>
>
> Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:00 PM
> 10 Reasons Why 'Fringe' Is Better Than 'The X-Files'
> Raina Kelley
>
> <snip some X-Files' crabbiness>
>
> ----------
> I know, I may be setting myself up for another heartbreak (and maybe I
> still am), but already Fringe is 10 million times better than The
> X-Files. Why? Let me count the ways:
>
> 1. No aliens. OK, there�s an alternative universe, but at least
> everybody�s human.

I must have missed the rule that states that "no aliens" is "better
than" having aliens in sci-fi.

> 2. The mysteries seem more solvable. Of course, there are

> unanswered questions at the end of every episode. But they�re not too
> stupid to beggar belief.

This writer must have forgotten a good chunk of last season already.

> 3. The characters don�t take themselves too seriously. There�s

> Agent Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv), who heads up the investigations.

And who is generally as serious and dour as Mulder and Scully ever were.

> Peter Bishop (Dawson Creek�s Joshua Jackson), the wise-cracking slack

> genius who helps her by taking care of his father, Dr. Walter Bishop
> (John Noble), who is completely insane. I mean really, Mulder did all
> that pouting and screaming and what did it get him? Nothing.

There were plenty of tears shed and emotions shown on FRINGE last
season. Did this writer actually watch the darn thing?

> 4. The pseudoscience is at least theoretically possible and

> doesn�t require great leaps of the imagination. There�s a running

> storyline in which computer geniuses are trying to download

> information from a dead man�s brain.

Totally bogus. Outside of the E.T. arc, the X-Files "science" was far
less silly than the Fringe science.

> 5. Every episode has a beginning, a middle, and an end.

If this writer is arguing that every ep of FRINGE last year wrapped up
all questions in the time allowed, she definitely hasn't watched it very
closely.

> 6. There are no love affairs�yet.

There was no love affair after the first X-Files season, either. In
fact, I would argue that FRINGE's first season flirted with 'shippy
nonsense *far* more than THE X-FILES did in its first year.

> 7. Leonard Nimoy is in it. He is the shadowy head of Massive
> Dynamic, a huge multinational corporation that is a combination of GE,
> Microsoft, and Blackwater.

I love Spock, but I really don't care one way or the other about Nimoy,
other than the obvious Trek nod, which is immaterial to what FRINGE is
trying to do.

> 8. There�s a lot more racial diversity in Fringe. Yeah, X-Files

> had a few black people, but it really was this weird world where
> people of other hues were mostly used as plot devices.

Ignoring the whole "more diversity is inherently better" nonsense, A.D.
Kersh says, "Excuse me? Over here!"

> 9. Because Fringe actually knows where it�s storylines are going,
> it doesn�t rely on filler episodes to distract you from the fact that
> you�re being sold a bag of nothing.

There were at least a couple of MotW "filler" eps last season on FRINGE.
Again, this writer either has a short memory or hasn't actually
watched last season in its entirety.

> 10. Fringe is worth watching just for Noble. His characterization
> of Bishop, the mad scientist at the heart of the show, is at turns

> brilliant, exasperating, hysterical and tragic. It�s the best of The
> X-Files in one man.

I really enjoy Noble as Walter these days, but if the Lone Gunmen had
been given a larger and more ongoing role, I'd give them the nod. Of
course, they *weren't* given a larger role, so FRINGE does win this
particular point.

In general, as much as I'm enjoying FRINGE, it has a long way to go--a
*long* way--before it matches up to Mulder and company. And if you're
only comparing the first season of each show (which is really the only
fair way to look at it), then I absolutely give the nod to THE X-FILES
by a wide margin.

--
Jim Gysin
Waukesha, WI

Mac Breck

Sep 19, 2009, 4:32:43 PM9/19/09
Jim Gysin wrote:
> Dawnie sent the following on 9/19/2009 3:05 AM:

<http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvox/archive/2009/09/17/10-reasons-why
-fringe-is-better-than-the-x-files.aspx>

>> Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:00 PM
>> 10 Reasons Why 'Fringe' Is Better Than 'The X-Files'
>> Raina Kelley
>>
>> <snip some X-Files' crabbiness>
>>
>> ----------
>> I know, I may be setting myself up for another heartbreak (and maybe
>> I still am), but already Fringe is 10 million times better than The
>> X-Files. Why? Let me count the ways:
>>
>> 1. No aliens. OK, there's an alternative universe, but at least
>> everybody's human.

> I must have missed the rule that states that "no aliens" is "better
> than" having aliens in sci-fi.

Me, too. However, that *is* idiotic attitude of The Bonnie Hammer/David
Howe SciFi Channel/Syfy Channel.

>> 4. The pseudoscience is at least theoretically possible and

>> doesn't require great leaps of the imagination. There's a running

>> storyline in which computer geniuses are trying to download

>> information from a dead man's brain.

> Totally bogus. Outside of the E.T. arc, the X-Files "science" was far
> less silly than the Fringe science.

Well, except for the nuke plant in 6X01 "The Beginning" which redefined
bogus.

>> 8. There's a lot more racial diversity in Fringe. Yeah, X-Files

>> had a few black people, but it really was this weird world where
>> people of other hues were mostly used as plot devices.
>
> Ignoring the whole "more diversity is inherently better" nonsense,
> A.D. Kersh says, "Excuse me? Over here!"

How about Mr. X (Steven Williams) who replaced Deep Throat (Jerry
Hardin)?

--
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------

Message has been deleted

Pete B

Sep 19, 2009, 8:07:04 PM9/19/09
In article <fC9tm.60773$nQ6....@newsfe07.iad>, jmmn...@shaw.ca
says...

> [...]

> >> on #6 (minus that one last word), #9 and #10. I'll add that the
> >> relationship between Peter and Walter is great, and has only improved,
> >> if the first episode of season 2 is anything to go by.
> >
> > I don't think #1 is quite true. The Shapechanging Super Soldiers (SSS)
> > don't strike me as what we would define as "human".
> >
> > #4 is questionable but this _is_ a Sci-Fi show so they're allowed to
> > bend the laws of physics. (Just don't break them! :-P )
> >

> And we won't mention the 'virus' last season that was the size of a
> house cat.
>
> Or how Peter and Walter managed to get from Boston to the accident site
> in Manhattan before the cars were moved and the street re-opened to
> traffic. Don't know how it works in Manhattan, but around here unless
> there are bodies, those cars are gone within the hour.

Fringe Divison put a holding order on it.

Jim Gysin

Sep 19, 2009, 9:34:26 PM9/19/09

JM Morrison sent the following on 9/19/2009 1:42 PM:

Heh. Good point.

> Or how Peter and Walter managed to get from Boston to the accident site
> in Manhattan before the cars were moved and the street re-opened to
> traffic. Don't know how it works in Manhattan, but around here unless
> there are bodies, those cars are gone within the hour.

I'm pretty sure that things are different if it involves a fed, and a
disappeared fed at that.

Jim Gysin

Sep 19, 2009, 9:49:59 PM9/19/09

Mac Breck sent the following on 9/19/2009 3:32 PM:

> Jim Gysin wrote:
>> Dawnie sent the following on 9/19/2009 3:05 AM:
> <http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvox/archive/2009/09/17/10-reasons-why
> -fringe-is-better-than-the-x-files.aspx>
>>> Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:00 PM
>>> 10 Reasons Why 'Fringe' Is Better Than 'The X-Files'
>>> Raina Kelley
>>>
>>> <snip some X-Files' crabbiness>
>>>
>>> ----------
>>> I know, I may be setting myself up for another heartbreak (and maybe
>>> I still am), but already Fringe is 10 million times better than The
>>> X-Files. Why? Let me count the ways:
>>>
>>> 1. No aliens. OK, there's an alternative universe, but at least
>>> everybody's human.
>> I must have missed the rule that states that "no aliens" is "better
>> than" having aliens in sci-fi.
>
> Me, too. However, that *is* idiotic attitude of The Bonnie Hammer/David
> Howe SciFi Channel/Syfy Channel.

Sad, but true. Wrestling good, aliens bad.

>>> 4. The pseudoscience is at least theoretically possible and
>>> doesn't require great leaps of the imagination. There's a running
>>> storyline in which computer geniuses are trying to download
>>> information from a dead man's brain.
>> Totally bogus. Outside of the E.T. arc, the X-Files "science" was far
>> less silly than the Fringe science.
>
> Well, except for the nuke plant in 6X01 "The Beginning" which redefined
> bogus.

Mind you, I'm not even remotely suggesting that the X-Files science was
solid, but it was a heck of a lot *more* solid than the stuff we're
seeing from FRINGE. Not that I'm complaining, or anything. Like I
often say, when I want accurate science, I turn to sources like
Scientific American and PhysOrg and the like; I sure as heck don't turn
to fictional television shows.

>>> 8. There's a lot more racial diversity in Fringe. Yeah, X-Files
>>> had a few black people, but it really was this weird world where
>>> people of other hues were mostly used as plot devices.
>> Ignoring the whole "more diversity is inherently better" nonsense,
>> A.D. Kersh says, "Excuse me? Over here!"
>
> How about Mr. X (Steven Williams) who replaced Deep Throat (Jerry
> Hardin)?

Good point. Shame on me for forgetting about Mr. Williams and his
*very* intimidating persona!

Merrick Baldelli

Sep 20, 2009, 1:43:07 AM9/20/09
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 16:05:44 +0800, Dawnie <siok...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. No aliens. OK, there�s an alternative universe, but at least
>everybody�s human.

You apparently missed the season opener for Fringe. No human
can jump down more than 3 floors like the "assassin" did in the
episode. Definitely not human, could possibly qualify as Superhuman,
and given what was going on -- definitely alien in the purest sense.

> 2. The mysteries seem more solvable. Of course, there are
>unanswered questions at the end of every episode. But they�re not too
>stupid to beggar belief.

Again, you missed the season opener. How the assassin was
able to change into Agent Francis beggars all sensible belief.

> 4. The pseudoscience is at least theoretically possible and
>doesn�t require great leaps of the imagination. There�s a running
>storyline in which computer geniuses are trying to download
>information from a dead man�s brain.

Which definitely goes into the realm of silly science given
the way the brain operates and how the brain decomposes after death.

> 5. Every episode has a beginning, a middle, and an end.

This I can agree works -- even if there's serial tie-ins to
other episodes.

> 6. There are no love affairs�yet.

Uuuuh... We might have seen Nina Sharp and Agent Broyles in
bed... But the season opened did sort of floor me...

Again, you apparently are making this list prior to actually
attempting to make sense of Season Two Opening.

> 7. Leonard Nimoy is in it. He is the shadowy head of Massive
>Dynamic, a huge multinational corporation that is a combination of GE,
>Microsoft, and Blackwater.

I'm not at all thrilled with the season opener because of
this...

> 8. There�s a lot more racial diversity in Fringe. Yeah, X-Files
>had a few black people, but it really was this weird world where
>people of other hues were mostly used as plot devices.

One Puerto Rican/Chinese, two African Americans out of the top
7 listed... Yeah it's definitely an improvement to X-Files... But I
still don't think it qualifies as "diversity".

> 9. Because Fringe actually knows where it�s storylines are going,
>it doesn�t rely on filler episodes to distract you from the fact that
>you�re being sold a bag of nothing.

Uhhh... Honestly I don't believe this to be the case. In
fact, there are several unanswered questions and assumed answers along
the way that definitely need to be worked out and completed. This
show is beginning to suffer the same effects as anything Bad Robot
touches -- looks like it's going someplace until say season three --
then it's going to feel like either it's jumping sharks like hurdles
(god, I love that saying, thanks!) or making shit up as it goes along
(like Lost).

> 10. Fringe is worth watching just for Noble. His characterization
>of Bishop, the mad scientist at the heart of the show, is at turns
>brilliant, exasperating, hysterical and tragic. It�s the best of The
>X-Files in one man.

I seem to be hearing the oozing sound of torrents of hot lady
spunk with this choice.

--
-=-=-/ )=*=-='=-.-'-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
_( (_ , '_ * . Merrick Baldelli

Mac Breck

Sep 20, 2009, 8:57:42 AM9/20/09
Jim Gysin wrote:
> Mac Breck sent the following on 9/19/2009 3:32 PM:
>> Jim Gysin wrote:
>>> Dawnie sent the following on 9/19/2009 3:05 AM:

<http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvox/archive/2009/09/17/10-reasons-why
>> -fringe-is-better-than-the-x-files.aspx>

<snip>

>>> Ignoring the whole "more diversity is inherently better" nonsense,
>>> A.D. Kersh says, "Excuse me? Over here!"
>>
>> How about Mr. X (Steven Williams) who replaced Deep Throat (Jerry
>> Hardin)?
>
> Good point. Shame on me for forgetting about Mr. Williams and his
> *very* intimidating persona!

I only remembered because I saw him on last week's episode of
"Supernatural". If I'd tried to go through all of my X-Files memories,
I know I'd have come across him, but the ep. of "Supernatural" and your
post immediately brought him to mind.

Ken from Chicago

Sep 20, 2009, 10:12:27 AM9/20/09

"Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I remember him from X-Files but first as the 2nd captain, and IMHO, the
better captain on 21 JUMP STREET.

-- Ken from Chicago (who also remembers so kid, Jack, Joe, Deep or
something)

Barry Margolin

Sep 20, 2009, 12:11:15 PM9/20/09
Dawnie <siok...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 6. There are no love affairs�yet.

Wasn't Olivia in a relationship with Mark Valley's character?

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

himiko

Sep 20, 2009, 1:51:49 PM9/20/09
On Sep 20, 9:11 am, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article <7u39b51067ibbgm8rs3d1q30eoufrl5...@4ax.com>,

>  Dawnie <siokm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >     6. There are no love affairs—yet.
>
> Wasn't Olivia in a relationship with Mark Valley's character?

If you mean the agent who died in the first episode, and recurred in
her brain as an almost character, yes. That's what's made the lack of
romance fairly realistic. It was a pretty horrifying experience for
her and she was in major rebound/recovery.

I'd also add one other difference between XF and Fringe: the female
action lead, although certainly prettier than most real life FBI
agents, does not look like a fashion model who spends 4 hours on her
make-up and hair every morning. I consider that a good thing, but
others might not.

himiko

Ken from Chicago

Sep 20, 2009, 2:58:42 PM9/20/09

"himiko" <himi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

On Sep 20, 9:11 am, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article <7u39b51067ibbgm8rs3d1q30eoufrl5...@4ax.com>,
>
> Dawnie <siokm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 6. There are no love affairs�yet.
>
> Wasn't Olivia in a relationship with Mark Valley's character?

~If you mean the agent who died in the first episode, and recurred in
~her brain as an almost character, yes. That's what's made the lack of

Yes, yet another in a series of examples (posted elsethread by someone) that
undermine the writer's point.

~romance fairly realistic. It was a pretty horrifying experience for
~her and she was in major rebound/recovery.

Considering she was "haunted" by him until the Winter hiatus, it's even more
horrific for her.

~I'd also add one other difference between XF and Fringe: the female
~action lead, although certainly prettier than most real life FBI
~agents, does not look like a fashion model who spends 4 hours on her
~make-up and hair every morning. I consider that a good thing, but
~others might not.

~himiko

Has she ever worn a skirt or heels?

-- Ken from Chicago

The Hungarian Conspiracy

Sep 20, 2009, 4:22:35 PM9/20/09
JM Morrison <jmmn...@shaw.ca> wrote in rec.arts.tv:

> Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> Dawnie wrote:
>>> 4. The pseudoscience is at least theoretically possible and

>>> doesn�t require great leaps of the imagination. There�s a running

>>> storyline in which computer geniuses are trying to download

>>> information from a dead man�s brain.

>> #4 is questionable but this _is_ a Sci-Fi show so they're allowed to
>> bend the laws of physics. (Just don't break them! :-P )
>
> And we won't mention the 'virus' last season that was the size of a
> house cat.

ST:VOY had bigger ones.

--
Scheming to take over the world since 1979.

Dawnie

Sep 20, 2009, 7:15:38 PM9/20/09
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:21:15 -0500, Jim Gysin <jimg...@geemail.com>
wrote:

>> 7. Leonard Nimoy is in it. He is the shadowy head of Massive

>> Dynamic, a huge multinational corporation that is a combination of GE,
>> Microsoft, and Blackwater.
>
>I love Spock, but I really don't care one way or the other about Nimoy,
>other than the obvious Trek nod, which is immaterial to what FRINGE is
>trying to do.

I like Nimoy as much as the next guy, but I thought he was the most
overhyped guest appearance of last year's fall season. And we got to
see him what, a grand total of 2 minutes?

>> 9. Because Fringe actually knows where it�s storylines are going,
>> it doesn�t rely on filler episodes to distract you from the fact that
>> you�re being sold a bag of nothing.

>There were at least a couple of MotW "filler" eps last season on FRINGE.
> Again, this writer either has a short memory or hasn't actually
>watched last season in its entirety.

I wouldn't consider their MotW episodes as pure filler, because IIRC
each one did advance the main storyarc some, they did reveal some new
detail here and there. And FRINGE does know where its going (I hope!)
so we aren't "being sold a bag of nothing."

>> 10. Fringe is worth watching just for Noble. His characterization
>> of Bishop, the mad scientist at the heart of the show, is at turns

>> brilliant, exasperating, hysterical and tragic. It�s the best of The

>> X-Files in one man.
>
>I really enjoy Noble as Walter these days, but if the Lone Gunmen had
>been given a larger and more ongoing role, I'd give them the nod. Of
>course, they *weren't* given a larger role, so FRINGE does win this
>particular point.

I've forgotten how funny I think the Lone Gunmen are. I probably still
have their short-lived THE LONE GUNMEN series in mind, which I didn't
like as much as THE X-FILES, unfortunately.

Dawnie

Sep 20, 2009, 7:35:49 PM9/20/09
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:49:59 -0500, Jim Gysin <jimg...@geemail.com>
wrote:

>Mac Breck sent:

>> Jim Gysin wrote:
>>> I must have missed the rule that states that "no aliens" is "better
>>> than" having aliens in sci-fi.
>>
>> Me, too. However, that *is* idiotic attitude of The Bonnie Hammer/David
>> Howe SciFi Channel/Syfy Channel.
>
>Sad, but true.

No, don't say it's true! 8-(

>Wrestling good, aliens bad.

What's up with that? I'll take aliens over wrestling any day.

lurking horror

Sep 20, 2009, 11:53:45 PM9/20/09
In article <7u39b51067ibbgm8r...@4ax.com>, Dawnie
<siok...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know, I may be setting myself up for another heartbreak (and maybe I
> still am), but already Fringe is 10 million times better than The
> X-Files. Why? Let me count the ways:

I enjoyed the XFiles shout out that the Senators shutting down Fringe
gave. The insinuation was that Fringe Division was only a couple of
years old, but the waste of government resources for weird shit went
back YEARS including the X investigations.

--
In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times like
these.

Dawnie

Sep 21, 2009, 12:30:20 AM9/21/09
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:53:45 -0700, lurking horror
<lurkin...@cyberbeyond.gov> wrote:

>I enjoyed the XFiles shout out that the Senators shutting down Fringe
>gave. The insinuation was that Fringe Division was only a couple of
>years old, but the waste of government resources for weird shit went
>back YEARS including the X investigations.

Yup, "over half a century." The shoutout went even further, Senator
Kenneth Taylor on FRINGE was played by Ken Camroux who starred in a
few episodes of THE X-FILES! He was credited as "Third Man in Blevins'
Office" in the XF pilot, and thereafter as "Senior Agent."

himiko

Sep 21, 2009, 1:09:10 AM9/21/09
On Sep 20, 4:15 pm, Dawnie <siokm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've forgotten how funny I think the Lone Gunmen are. I probably still
> have their short-lived THE LONE GUNMEN series in mind, which I didn't
> like as much as THE X-FILES, unfortunately.

I didn't either at the time, but a few months ago I pulled out the DVD
and enjoyed it quite a lot. My expectations may have gotten in the
way of my enjoyment when it first came on. It was actually a pretty
funny series.

himiko

Ken from Chicago

Sep 21, 2009, 5:41:23 AM9/21/09

On Sep 20, 4:15 pm, Dawnie <siokm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've forgotten how funny I think the Lone Gunmen are. I probably still
> have their short-lived THE LONE GUNMEN series in mind, which I didn't
> like as much as THE X-FILES, unfortunately.

~I didn't either at the time, but a few months ago I pulled out the DVD
~and enjoyed it quite a lot. My expectations may have gotten in the
~way of my enjoyment when it first came on. It was actually a pretty
~funny series.

~himiko

Hour-long comedies were unusual at the time--at least in the States.

-- Ken from Chicago

Barry Margolin

Sep 21, 2009, 9:59:12 AM9/21/09
In article <gmddb5djd2anfessa...@4ax.com>,
Dawnie <siok...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:21:15 -0500, Jim Gysin <jimg...@geemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Dawnie sent the following on 9/19/2009 3:05 AM:
> >> <http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvox/archive/2009/09/17/10-reasons-why-fr
> >> inge-is-better-than-the-x-files.aspx>
>
> >> 7. Leonard Nimoy is in it. He is the shadowy head of Massive
> >> Dynamic, a huge multinational corporation that is a combination of GE,
> >> Microsoft, and Blackwater.
> >
> >I love Spock, but I really don't care one way or the other about Nimoy,
> >other than the obvious Trek nod, which is immaterial to what FRINGE is
> >trying to do.
>
> I like Nimoy as much as the next guy, but I thought he was the most
> overhyped guest appearance of last year's fall season. And we got to
> see him what, a grand total of 2 minutes?

That was just a teaser. Apparently he'll have more to do this season.

George W Harris

Sep 21, 2009, 11:44:45 PM9/21/09
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:51:49 -0700 (PDT), himiko <himi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I'd also add one other difference between XF and Fringe: the female
>action lead, although certainly prettier than most real life FBI
>agents, does not look like a fashion model who spends 4 hours on her
>make-up and hair every morning.

Gillian Anderson looks *nothing* like a fashion model.
She's way too short, for one thing (she's only 5'2"). Ana Torv
has much more of a model's build: 5'8", skinny, with absurdly
high cheekbones.
--
Doesn't the fact that there are *exactly* 50 states seem a little suspicious?

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

Dave Searles

Sep 22, 2009, 9:58:14 AM9/22/09
George W Harris wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:51:49 -0700 (PDT), himiko <himi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'd also add one other difference between XF and Fringe: the female
>> action lead, although certainly prettier than most real life FBI
>> agents, does not look like a fashion model who spends 4 hours on her
>> make-up and hair every morning.
>
> Gillian Anderson looks *nothing* like a fashion model.
> She's way too short, for one thing (she's only 5'2"). Ana Torv
> has much more of a model's build: 5'8", skinny, with absurdly
> high cheekbones.

She sure looked hot in that wetsuit, though. Mrrow.

Anim8rFSK

Sep 22, 2009, 10:31:43 AM9/22/09
In article <8thgb5prkh6ogkblo...@4ax.com>,

George W Harris <gha...@mundsprung.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:51:49 -0700 (PDT), himiko <himi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >I'd also add one other difference between XF and Fringe: the female
> >action lead, although certainly prettier than most real life FBI
> >agents, does not look like a fashion model who spends 4 hours on her
> >make-up and hair every morning.
>
> Gillian Anderson looks *nothing* like a fashion model.
> She's way too short, for one thing (she's only 5'2"). Ana Torv
> has much more of a model's build: 5'8", skinny, with absurdly
> high cheekbones.

And from what I saw on the Emmys, really ugly breasts.

--
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Saturday the 19th be "Talk Like a Pirate Day"!!!

Jim Gysin

Sep 22, 2009, 5:50:18 PM9/22/09

Mac Breck sent the following on 9/20/2009 7:57 AM:

> Jim Gysin wrote:
>> Mac Breck sent the following on 9/19/2009 3:32 PM:
> <http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvox/archive/2009/09/17/10-reasons-why
>>> -fringe-is-better-than-the-x-files.aspx>
>
> <snip>

>>> How about Mr. X (Steven Williams) who replaced Deep Throat (Jerry
>>> Hardin)?
>> Good point. Shame on me for forgetting about Mr. Williams and his
>> *very* intimidating persona!
>
> I only remembered because I saw him on last week's episode of
> "Supernatural". If I'd tried to go through all of my X-Files memories,
> I know I'd have come across him, but the ep. of "Supernatural" and your
> post immediately brought him to mind.

They really softened him up for that SUPERNATURAL ep. Even with a
television screen separating us, he intimidated the heck out of me
during his X-files days, and I don't intimidate easily. He wouldn't
even *die* easily on that one...

Jim Gysin

Sep 22, 2009, 5:52:16 PM9/22/09

Barry Margolin sent the following on 9/20/2009 11:11 AM:

> In article <7u39b51067ibbgm8r...@4ax.com>,
> Dawnie <siok...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 6. There are no love affairs�yet.

> Wasn't Olivia in a relationship with Mark Valley's character?

Good point. One of the very first scenes delved into it, IIRC. Again,
I'm pretty sure that this writer (not Dawnie, of course) didn't watch
all of the FRINGE eps from the first season.

Jim Gysin

Sep 22, 2009, 5:56:21 PM9/22/09

Dawnie sent the following on 9/20/2009 6:15 PM:

> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:21:15 -0500, Jim Gysin <jimg...@geemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dawnie sent the following on 9/19/2009 3:05 AM:
>>> <http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvox/archive/2009/09/17/10-reasons-why-fringe-is-better-than-the-x-files.aspx>
>
>>> 7. Leonard Nimoy is in it. He is the shadowy head of Massive
>>> Dynamic, a huge multinational corporation that is a combination of GE,
>>> Microsoft, and Blackwater.
>> I love Spock, but I really don't care one way or the other about Nimoy,
>> other than the obvious Trek nod, which is immaterial to what FRINGE is
>> trying to do.
>
> I like Nimoy as much as the next guy, but I thought he was the most
> overhyped guest appearance of last year's fall season. And we got to
> see him what, a grand total of 2 minutes?

Yep. Beyond any obvious nods to those who came before, I'm not too into
*who* plays a given role, as long as it's someone competent in the role
and fitting *of* the role.

>>> 9. Because Fringe actually knows where it�s storylines are going,
>>> it doesn�t rely on filler episodes to distract you from the fact that
>>> you�re being sold a bag of nothing.

>> There were at least a couple of MotW "filler" eps last season on FRINGE.
>> Again, this writer either has a short memory or hasn't actually
>> watched last season in its entirety.
>
> I wouldn't consider their MotW episodes as pure filler, because IIRC
> each one did advance the main storyarc some, they did reveal some new
> detail here and there. And FRINGE does know where its going (I hope!)
> so we aren't "being sold a bag of nothing."

I seem to recall several that seemingly had nothing to do with Massive
Dynamics or "The Pattern," but it's been a while. I'm definitely
overdue to get my hands on the DVD set for season one.

>>> 10. Fringe is worth watching just for Noble. His characterization
>>> of Bishop, the mad scientist at the heart of the show, is at turns

>>> brilliant, exasperating, hysterical and tragic. It�s the best of The

>>> X-Files in one man.
>> I really enjoy Noble as Walter these days, but if the Lone Gunmen had
>> been given a larger and more ongoing role, I'd give them the nod. Of
>> course, they *weren't* given a larger role, so FRINGE does win this
>> particular point.
>
> I've forgotten how funny I think the Lone Gunmen are. I probably still
> have their short-lived THE LONE GUNMEN series in mind, which I didn't
> like as much as THE X-FILES, unfortunately.

What was weird (for me, anyway) was that I loved THE X-FILES and the
Lone Gunmen in that setting, but I didn't watch a single ep of their
spinoff. I'm still not really sure why.

Jim Gysin

Sep 22, 2009, 5:57:33 PM9/22/09

Dawnie sent the following on 9/20/2009 6:35 PM:

> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:49:59 -0500, Jim Gysin <jimg...@geemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Mac Breck sent:
>>> Me, too. However, that *is* idiotic attitude of The Bonnie Hammer/David
>>> Howe SciFi Channel/Syfy Channel.
>> Sad, but true.
>
> No, don't say it's true! 8-(

It's twue, it's twue!

>> Wrestling good, aliens bad.
>
> What's up with that? I'll take aliens over wrestling any day.

Yep. I'm still trying to figure out what's even remotely syfy-ish about
wrestling.

Jim Gysin

Sep 22, 2009, 5:58:34 PM9/22/09

George W Harris sent the following on 9/21/2009 10:44 PM:

> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:51:49 -0700 (PDT), himiko <himi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'd also add one other difference between XF and Fringe: the female
>> action lead, although certainly prettier than most real life FBI
>> agents, does not look like a fashion model who spends 4 hours on her
>> make-up and hair every morning.
>
> Gillian Anderson looks *nothing* like a fashion model.
> She's way too short, for one thing (she's only 5'2"). Ana Torv
> has much more of a model's build: 5'8", skinny, with absurdly
> high cheekbones.

That sound you're not hearing is me not complaining. :)

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 22, 2009, 7:43:52 PM9/22/09
The storylines.

--
Things I learned from Usenet #29: Do not chew the peach.
Veni, Vidi, Snarki.

Mac Breck

Sep 22, 2009, 9:05:53 PM9/22/09
Jim Gysin wrote:
> Dawnie sent the following on 9/20/2009 6:35 PM:
>> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:49:59 -0500, Jim Gysin <jimg...@geemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Mac Breck sent:
>>> Sad, but true.
>>
>> No, don't say it's true! 8-(
>
> It's twue, it's twue!

Cyndi Lauper or Tweetey Bird?

>>> Wrestling good, aliens bad.
>>
>> What's up with that? I'll take aliens over wrestling any day.
>
> Yep. I'm still trying to figure out what's even remotely syfy-ish
> about wrestling.

Nothing, and that's what they like about it.

himiko

Sep 23, 2009, 12:42:05 AM9/23/09
On Sep 21, 8:44 pm, George W Harris <ghar...@mundsprung.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:51:49 -0700 (PDT), himiko <himiko...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>

> >I'd also add one other difference between XF and Fringe: the female
> >action lead, although certainly prettier than most real life FBI
> >agents, does not look like a fashion model who spends 4 hours on her
> >make-up and hair every morning.
>
>         Gillian Anderson looks *nothing* like a fashion model.
> She's way too short, for one thing (she's only 5'2").

Really? She looked taller on the show.

>  Ana Torv
> has much more of a model's build: 5'8", skinny, with absurdly
> high cheekbones.

That may be true, but it's irrelevant to the point I was making. Torv
could probably look like a fashion model if she were costumed,
coiffed, and made-up as Anderson always was for XF, but she never is.
Liv looks like she got up, showered, pulled a brush through her hair,
threw on what was clean and suitable to a fair amount of action, and
headed off for work.. Maybe fashion model isn't the word I want, but
Scully never looked to me like a working FBI agent. I suspect most of
those women don't have 4 hours to spend on their appearance every
morning. Most of them probably don't start off with Torv's looks
either, but the effect of the toned down make-up, hair, and dress is
more realistic to me and I prefer it. YMMV, especially if lust is
involved, but I'm not talking about which one is more attractive. I'm
talking about which one looks more like a working agent. Neither
fully does, but Torv comes closer IMO.

himiko

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 23, 2009, 2:06:20 AM9/23/09
himiko wrote:
> On Sep 21, 8:44 pm, George W Harris <ghar...@mundsprung.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:51:49 -0700 (PDT), himiko <himiko...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I'd also add one other difference between XF and Fringe: the female
>>> action lead, although certainly prettier than most real life FBI
>>> agents, does not look like a fashion model who spends 4 hours on her
>>> make-up and hair every morning.
>> Gillian Anderson looks *nothing* like a fashion model.
>> She's way too short, for one thing (she's only 5'2").
>
> Really? She looked taller on the show.

I am reminded of the scene where Scully is showing Tea Leoni how she
manages to run in very high heels....

Jim Gysin

Sep 24, 2009, 5:38:59 PM9/24/09

Dimensional Traveler sent the following on 9/22/2009 6:43 PM:

> Jim Gysin wrote:
>> Dawnie sent the following on 9/20/2009 6:35 PM:

>>> No, don't say it's true! 8-(
>> It's twue, it's twue!

>>> What's up with that? I'll take aliens over wrestling any day.
>> Yep. I'm still trying to figure out what's even remotely syfy-ish about
>> wrestling.
>>
> The storylines.

From the little I know of 'em, they're more soap opera than syfy.

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 24, 2009, 6:33:47 PM9/24/09
Only if buy in to the premise that their behavior is human and not
alien. I don't.

Jim Gysin

Sep 24, 2009, 7:23:04 PM9/24/09

Mac Breck sent the following on 9/22/2009 8:05 PM:

> Jim Gysin wrote:
>> Dawnie sent the following on 9/20/2009 6:35 PM:

>>> No, don't say it's true! 8-(
>> It's twue, it's twue!
>
> Cyndi Lauper or Tweetey Bird?

Tweety. Or the vicar in THE PRINCESS BRIDE. One of the two.

>>> What's up with that? I'll take aliens over wrestling any day.
>> Yep. I'm still trying to figure out what's even remotely syfy-ish
>> about wrestling.
>
> Nothing, and that's what they like about it.

Syfy will eventually be like MTV, which used to actually play music videos.

Jim Gysin

Sep 24, 2009, 7:23:51 PM9/24/09

Dimensional Traveler sent the following on 9/24/2009 5:33 PM:

Is there a Pattern to what these wrestlers are doing?

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 24, 2009, 8:01:23 PM9/24/09
>> Only if you buy in to the premise that their behavior is human and not
>> alien. I don't.
>
> Is there a Pattern to what these wrestlers are doing?

We need to send in the cow to investigate.

Merrick Baldelli

Sep 25, 2009, 8:51:37 AM9/25/09
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:43:52 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

>> Yep. I'm still trying to figure out what's even remotely syfy-ish about
>> wrestling.
>>
>The storylines.

Well, the storylines on WWE are certainly on par with
"Passions", which Sci-Fi certainly used to air around noontime.

--
-=-=-/ )=*=-='=-.-'-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
_( (_ , '_ * . Merrick Baldelli
\ _/ Who are these folks and why have they
/ / stopped taking their medication?
- Captain Infinity

Jim Gysin

Sep 28, 2009, 11:36:23 AM9/28/09

Dimensional Traveler sent the following on 9/24/2009 7:01 PM:

How do we know that Jean is not an alien herself? There could be a
conflict of interests here.

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 28, 2009, 4:47:53 PM9/28/09
Aren't we all aliens?

Dawnie

Sep 29, 2009, 11:22:06 AM9/29/09
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:23:04 -0500, Jim Gysin <jimg...@geemail.com>
wrote:

>Mac Breck sent the following on 9/22/2009 8:05 PM:

>> Jim Gysin wrote:
>>> It's twue, it's twue!
>>
>> Cyndi Lauper or Tweetey Bird?
>
>Tweety. Or the vicar in THE PRINCESS BRIDE. One of the two.

I was going to guess that guy from THE BIG BANG THEORY. He's got the
Tweety impersonation down pat <g>.

Mac Breck

Sep 29, 2009, 11:25:31 AM9/29/09

??? I watch the show, and I can't even hazard a guess as to who you
mean.

Harold Groot

Sep 29, 2009, 3:36:01 PM9/29/09

My first thought was BLAZING SADDLES....

Default User

Sep 29, 2009, 4:00:51 PM9/29/09
Mac Breck wrote:

> Dawnie wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:23:04 -0500, Jim Gysin <jimg...@geemail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Mac Breck sent the following on 9/22/2009 8:05 PM:

> >> Tweety. Or the vicar in THE PRINCESS BRIDE. One of the two.
> >
> > I was going to guess that guy from THE BIG BANG THEORY. He's got the
> > Tweety impersonation down pat <g>.
>
> ??? I watch the show, and I can't even hazard a guess as to who you
> mean.

I guess the guy with the lisp, the antagonist guy that Sheldon tried to
befriend to gain some sort of equipment access[1].

1. No, not like that. Pervs.

Brian
--
Day 239 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Mac Breck

Sep 29, 2009, 5:06:25 PM9/29/09

Ah, Barry Kripke, yes, that fits. I was thinking she meant somebody
from the main cast put on that voice, not somebody from the guest cast
who spoke with that voice all the time. Forgot all about Kripke; hell,
he's a character I try to forget.

Jim Gysin

Sep 29, 2009, 5:34:35 PM9/29/09

Dimensional Traveler sent the following on 9/28/2009 3:47 PM:

I'm not supposed to answer that question.

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 29, 2009, 7:12:59 PM9/29/09
And when ICE asks?

Jim Gysin

Sep 30, 2009, 3:50:27 PM9/30/09

Dimensional Traveler sent the following on 9/29/2009 6:12 PM:

I flash a red strobe in their eyes. Works every time.