"Arrow" casts Colton Haynes ("Teen Wolf") as Roy Harper

David

Dec 11, 2012, 10:44:11 PM12/11/12
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Arrow-Colton-Haynes-1057668.aspx

Exclusive: Teen Wolf Vet Colton Haynes Joins Arrow as…Who?!
by Damian Holbrook

Ya might wanna sit down for this one, Arrow fans. TV Guide Magazine
has learned exclusively that the CW show — which is already exceeding
its hot limit with Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy and Colin Donnell —
has just hit a major bull's eye by signing Teen Wolf alum Colton
Haynes.

"We were big fans of Colton from Teen Wolf and we are thrilled he's
joining Arrow," says executive producer Greg Berlanti of the actor,
who is set to begin appearing on the show in 2013 as none other than
Roy Harper.

DC Comics aficionados will recognize that name as the young marksman
who has been known as, since his debut in 1941, the Green Arrow's
sidekick Speedy, Teen Titans member Arsenal, and the Justice League's
drug-addicted, one-armed Red Arrow. While details on this iteration's
possible secret identity are being kept, well, secret, Haynes' Harper
is being described by The CW as "a handsome, street-savvy, teenager
from 'the Glades,' the harsh, poverty-stricken portion of Starling
City."

The recurring role will provide a love interest for Willa Holland's
Thea (who is also nicknamed "Speedy"...hmmmm), as well as some serious
juice for the show's growing mythology. According to the network's
breakdown on the character, in addition to falling for Ollie's little
sister after crossing paths "in an unexpected way," Roy is "destined
to become a significant part of her life and an important player in
the larger world of Arrow." In other words, this is awesome.

The casting comes just two months after Haynes shocked Teen Wolf fans
by tweeting out his decision to leave MTV's hit drama, although there
is nothing surprised about how fast it took another show to snatch him
up. Seriously, look at the guy.

Are you psyched to see Colton Haynes get his bowhunter on? Share your
deepest feelings in the comments below!

anim8rFSK

Dec 12, 2012, 12:08:11 AM12/12/12
In article <28vfc8l7bqfi3ccl7...@4ax.com>,
David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://www.tvguide.com/News/Arrow-Colton-Haynes-1057668.aspx
>
> Exclusive: Teen Wolf Vet Colton Haynes Joins Arrow as…Who?!
> by Damian Holbrook
>
> Ya might wanna sit down for this one, Arrow fans. TV Guide Magazine
> has learned exclusively that the CW show — which is already exceeding
> its hot limit with Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy and Colin Donnell —
> has just hit a major bull's eye by signing Teen Wolf alum Colton
> Haynes.
>
> "We were big fans of Colton from Teen Wolf and we are thrilled he's
> joining Arrow," says executive producer Greg Berlanti of the actor,
> who is set to begin appearing on the show in 2013 as none other than
> Roy Harper.
>
> DC Comics aficionados will recognize that name as the young marksman
> who has been known as, since his debut in 1941, the Green Arrow's
> sidekick Speedy, Teen Titans member Arsenal, and the Justice League's
> drug-addicted, one-armed Red Arrow

What, did Superman rip *his* arm off, too?

--
"Every time a Kardashian gets a TV show, an angel dies."

jack....@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2012, 5:42:46 AM12/12/12
anim8rFSK wrote:

>In article <28vfc8l7bqfi3ccl7...@4ax.com>,
> David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.tvguide.com/News/Arrow-Colton-Haynes-1057668.aspx
>>
>> Exclusive: Teen Wolf Vet Colton Haynes Joins Arrow as…Who?!
>> by Damian Holbrook
>>

>> DC Comics aficionados will recognize that name as the young marksman
>> who has been known as, since his debut in 1941, the Green Arrow's
>> sidekick Speedy, Teen Titans member Arsenal, and the Justice League's
>> drug-addicted, one-armed Red Arrow
>
>What, did Superman rip *his* arm off, too?

:)
Alls I know is from the recently-vanished YOUNG JUSTICE show where
Luthor an' 'em took it for cells for cloning. (Hmm... not sure if
that show gave him the addict background.)

--
-Jack

Obveeus

Dec 12, 2012, 8:08:32 AM12/12/12
> Exclusive: Teen Wolf Vet Colton Haynes Joins Arrow as.Who?!
> by Damian Holbrook
>
> Ya might wanna sit down for this one, Arrow fans. TV Guide Magazine
> has learned exclusively that the CW show - which is already exceeding
> its hot limit with Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy and Colin Donnell -

Um...is this an example of the network propaganda machine trying to reel in
the female audience?

> has just hit a major bull's eye by signing Teen Wolf alum Colton
> Haynes.

I didn't recognize the actor's name, but I instantly knew who this was just
based upon asking myself: 'which TEEN WOLF' alum would a show like ARROW
most likely cast.

Hunter

Dec 12, 2012, 10:21:12 AM12/12/12
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:08:11 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:
---
Nope:

"Following Bruce Wayne's apparent death in Final Crisis, Roy returns
to the team after discovering that Hal Jordan and his splinter Justice
League have been hunting down and torturing criminals.

"Roy and Green Arrow manage to settle their differences and work
together, but things start to fall apart as Prometheus assaults Roy,
cutting off his right arm with a poisoned, nanite-laced blade,[5] and
then has the Electrocutioner set off a device to destroy Star City,
killing the young Lian.[6][7]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Harper_(comics)#Rise_and_fall

and:

"He fathered a daughter by the villainess Cheshire, and eventually
took the name Arsenal in New Titans #99 (1993). In Justice League of
America #1 (vol 3), he is eventually referred to as Red Arrow. After
his daughter is killed, and he has one of his arms cut off by the
villain Prometheus in Justice League: Cry for Justice, Roy will star
in the mini-series Justice League: The Rise of Arsenal during which he
will retake the name of "Arsenal".[citation needed]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedy_(comics)#Roy_Harper

And Superman never ripped off anyone's arm:

"Green Arrow's arm was inside the detonation chamber for the bomb,
which would activate if he released his hand. Superman tried to help
but had no way of saving him other than tearing off his arm.[46]
Rather than allow himself to be crippled Queen let the plane explode,
sacrificing himself to save thousands of people. Having been
completely vaporized in the blast, there was no body. A small funeral
gathering of his closest friends was held in Warriors. There was
nothing to bury, so his son fired an arrow into the air and marked its
landing as his final resting place, as in the legend of Robin Hood.
Connor Hawke then decided to continue on his legacy.[47]

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Green_Arrow_(Oliver_Queen)

A version of Superboy once did rip off someone's arm:

"After that time, Risk embarked on a career of petty crime, becoming a
fugitive. Later, however, he seemed to return to more heroic ways. In
Infinite Crisis #4, Kon-El called in all the reserve Titans to help
him battle Superboy-Prime. When the other Titans attacked him,
Superboy-Prime lashed back; not aware of the full extent of his
powers, he ended up brutally maiming and murdering several of the
Titans. Risk was one of his victims, as Superboy-Prime ripped off his
right arm during the battle. In Teen Titans #32, it was shown that
Argent used her plasma energy to stop the blood flowing to his
shoulder, saving his life."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_(comics)#Infinite_Crisis

------>Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Ken Arromdee

Dec 12, 2012, 10:51:30 AM12/12/12
In article <50c8a0e1...@news.optonline.net>,
Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>And Superman never ripped off anyone's arm:

Isn't it implied in the Dark Knight Returns that he did rip off GA's arm?
--
Ken Arromdee / arromdee_AT_rahul.net / http://www.rahul.net/arromdee

Obi-wan Kenobi: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes."
Yoda: "Do or do not. There is no 'try'."

Professor Bubba

Dec 12, 2012, 1:58:35 PM12/12/12
In article <kaa962$d9s$2...@blue-new.rahul.net>, Ken Arromdee
<arro...@rahul.net> wrote:

> In article <50c8a0e1...@news.optonline.net>,
> Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >And Superman never ripped off anyone's arm:
>
> Isn't it implied in the Dark Knight Returns that he did rip off GA's arm?

It's more than implied, but TDKR was set in an alternate reality.

anim8rFSK

Dec 12, 2012, 2:41:50 PM12/12/12
arro...@rahul.net (Ken Arromdee) wrote:

> In article <50c8a0e1...@news.optonline.net>,
> Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >And Superman never ripped off anyone's arm:
>
> Isn't it implied in the Dark Knight Returns that he did rip off GA's arm?

Yep.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Book Four - The Dark Knight Falls

Ollie: I always KNEW it'd get down to YOU and the big blue SCHOOLBOY.
Planet's too BIG for the TWO of you. When it all comes DOWN ...
(Ollie looks at his empty left sleeve)
... I want a PIECE of him. A SMALL piece will do. For OLD TIMES sake.
You know ... it still HURTS when it's COLD ...

anim8rFSK

Dec 12, 2012, 2:42:09 PM12/12/12
In article <121220121358357435%bu...@nowhere.edu.invalid>,
So is ARROW. :)

Hunter

Dec 12, 2012, 5:30:48 PM12/12/12
------
Aparently not. I haven't seen all of the episodes but I don't find any
reference to Speedy or Red Arrow past drug use on "Young Justice". Too
bad just like in the comics 41 years ago it would be a great way to
send an anti drug message, but Ironically people might be worried
about having drug use in a "kiddie show" even though DC Comics got
wide priase for that storyline in 1971. "Young Justice" is
sophistcated enough for it IMHO.

Arthur Lipscomb

Dec 13, 2012, 12:17:25 AM12/13/12
On 12/12/2012 2:30 PM, Hunter (Hunter) wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 05:42:46 -0500, jack....@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> anim8rFSK wrote:

>>> What, did Superman rip *his* arm off, too?
>>
>> :)
>> Alls I know is from the recently-vanished YOUNG JUSTICE show where
>> Luthor an' 'em took it for cells for cloning. (Hmm... not sure if
>> that show gave him the addict background.)
> ------
> Aparently not. I haven't seen all of the episodes but I don't find any
> reference to Speedy or Red Arrow past drug use on "Young Justice".

I don't recall the episode but I *think* there was a reference to it. I
think it was the clone's way of coping but I'm not 100% sure.

Too
> bad just like in the comics 41 years ago it would be a great way to
> send an anti drug message, but Ironically people might be worried
> about having drug use in a "kiddie show" even though DC Comics got
> wide priase for that storyline in 1971. "Young Justice" is
> sophistcated enough for it IMHO.

Young Justice is hardly a "kiddie show". It may not be Justice League
Unlimited but it's way past Super Friends.

Hunter

Dec 13, 2012, 4:53:05 AM12/13/12
On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 21:17:25 -0800, Arthur Lipscomb
<art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 12/12/2012 2:30 PM, Hunter (Hunter) wrote:

>>> :)
>>> Alls I know is from the recently-vanished YOUNG JUSTICE show where
>>> Luthor an' 'em took it for cells for cloning. (Hmm... not sure if
>>> that show gave him the addict background.)
>> ------
>> Aparently not. I haven't seen all of the episodes but I don't find any
>> reference to Speedy or Red Arrow past drug use on "Young Justice".
>
>I don't recall the episode but I *think* there was a reference to it. I
>think it was the clone's way of coping but I'm not 100% sure.
-----
Probably was a throwaway line.

>Too
>> bad just like in the comics 41 years ago it would be a great way to
>> send an anti drug message, but Ironically people might be worried
>> about having drug use in a "kiddie show" even though DC Comics got
>> wide priase for that storyline in 1971. "Young Justice" is
>> sophistcated enough for it IMHO.
>
>Young Justice is hardly a "kiddie show". It may not be Justice League
>Unlimited but it's way past Super Friends.
-----
I agree that is why I put "kiddie show" in quotation marks. People who
don't wach it may just regard it as a "kiddie show".

Hunter

Dec 13, 2012, 4:03:31 PM12/13/12
On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 15:51:30 +0000 (UTC), arro...@rahul.net (Ken
Arromdee) wrote:

>In article <50c8a0e1...@news.optonline.net>,
>Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>>And Superman never ripped off anyone's arm:
>
>Isn't it implied in the Dark Knight Returns that he did rip off GA's arm?
-----
I found it amd it is mentioned out right:

"Clark tells the President that Batman will never be brought in alive.
Oliver Queen, the Green Arrow, drops in to see Bruce. He lost an arm
because of Superman, and want to assist Batman."

http://batmantdkr.weebly.com/book-4-the-dark-knight-falls.html

So amrisk8 is technically right.

But it doesn't say that Superman actually took his arm off, just says
that he was responsible, but how it is not mentioned. Did superman
actually rip off his arm or does Green Arrow hold Superman
responsible for some mishap that he feels Superman cased or failed to
prevent that cost him his arm. I've been searching the NET for an
explaination and the circumstance but I can't find it yet.

In one telling Green Arrow was killed in a bomb blast because he felt
he would rather die than be maimed because the choice was should
Green Arrow let Superman take off his arm to prevent the bomb from
exploding and save many people and save GA's life or save many people
but GA dies but he keeps his arm. In that telling GA perfered to die
and did

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Green_Arrow_(Oliver_Queen)

Maybe in the "Dark Knight Rises" book series Superman went against
GA's wishes and saves GA's life at the cost of his arm, earning GA's
hatred.

Or something else happens.

This isn't the first time some body held Superman responsible for the
loss of an arm:

Mild Mannered Reviews - Classic Pre-Crisis Superman Comics

Superman #328
Cover date: October 1978
"Attack of the Kryptonoid"

[edit]

A few years ago during a weapons test in which Superman was a
volunteer target, a tiny piece of shrapnel went into Derwent's left
arm. Infection and blood circulation problems began to occur, and by
the time the medics had examined the arm, Gangrene had set in.
Derwent's arm had to be amputated. The general blames Superman for the
loss and believes that the Last Son of Krypton should have taken
precautions to prevent any damage.

http://tinyurl.com/aaqa97l

So the General blames Supes for his bad luck. Maybe Ollie is doing the
same depending on the circumstances

So until Isee something that explicitly says that Supes ripped off
GA's arm physically. I am not going to find the Big Blue Boy Scout
guilty.

Hunter

Dec 14, 2012, 2:01:27 AM12/14/12
On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 12:41:50 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:
------
It doesn't say the circumstances it happened in. Without that it could
be very possible that Oliver is blaming Superman for something even if
Superman never touched him or wasn't even his fault.

jack....@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2012, 7:26:24 AM12/14/12
Heh. "Planet's too BIG for the TWO of you." Moore being clever, or
losing track of the cliche? (Or, somewhere in between, having Ollie
lose track of what he was saying?)

--
-Jack