I used to look forward to Sci-Fi Fridays

Troy Heagy

Mar 4, 2011, 5:10:05 PM3/4/11
Quit work, go back to my hotel room, and watch new episodes of Lexx or
Farscape or SG1 or Atlantis or Battlestar Galactica. (Or else tape
them and watch them Saturday morning.)

It was great.
Syfy killed it.

Stupid moth...frakkin...pieces...grumble mub... Grrrr!!!!! (hand
gesture)

Ken from Chicago

Mar 5, 2011, 5:36:11 AM3/5/11

"Troy Heagy" <electr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

6:00 pm YOUNG JUSTICE (Cartoon Network)
6:30 pm BEN 10: ULTIMATE ALIEN (Cartoon Network)
7:00 pm SMALLVILLE (The CW)
7:30 pm STAR WARS: CLONE WARS (Cartoon Network)
8:00 pm FRINGE (Fox)

(All times Central)

-- Ken from Chicago

erilar

Mar 5, 2011, 9:52:40 AM3/5/11
In article
<1b15f2cb-dcef-4098...@k15g2000prk.googlegroups.com>,
Troy Heagy <electr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Seconded with loud applause!

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~erilarlo

Ubiquitous

Mar 5, 2011, 10:11:04 AM3/5/11
electr...@gmail.com wrote:

Co-signed.

--
"If Barack Obama isn't careful, he will become the Jimmy Carter of the
21st century."

Troy Heagy

Mar 5, 2011, 11:48:02 AM3/5/11
On Mar 5, 5:36 am, "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> 6:00 pm YOUNG JUSTICE (Cartoon Network)
> 6:30 pm BEN 10: ULTIMATE ALIEN (Cartoon Network)
> 7:00 pm SMALLVILLE (The CW)
> 7:30 pm STAR WARS: CLONE WARS (Cartoon Network)
> 8:00 pm FRINGE (Fox)

Clone Wars is the only show I've seen on Toon that's anyway decent
(and that's a stretch). The rest? Bah.

I guess FOX moved Fringe to Fridays in their usual routine to kill a
show.

Ken from Chicago

Mar 5, 2011, 6:45:39 PM3/5/11

> On Mar 5, 5:36 am, "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>> 6:00 pm YOUNG JUSTICE (Cartoon Network)
>> 6:30 pm BEN 10: ULTIMATE ALIEN (Cartoon Network)
>> 7:00 pm SMALLVILLE (The CW)
>> 7:30 pm STAR WARS: CLONE WARS (Cartoon Network)
>> 8:00 pm FRINGE (Fox)
>

> Clone Wars is the only show I've seen on Toon that's anyway decent
> (and that's a stretch). The rest? Bah.

Wow, I'd recommend YOUNG JUSTICE (and SYM-BIONIC TITAN, tho it's now on
hiatus) over Clone Wars if I had to choose. YJ has been homers, balancing
action, in-depth characterization, and some juggling various story arcs.

Clone Wars, as good as it is has the problem of a) we know how the story
ultimately ends and b) has an anchor of a bizarre confusing setting of
Separatists, the Senate Republic, and the "good guys" treating clones as
disposable and growing clones specifically for the army--resulting in having
children trained as soldiers.

> I guess FOX moved Fringe to Fridays in their usual routine to kill a
> show.

Why? Why would Fox want to kill a show? If it wanted to kill a show, why not
cancel it and air a rerun of HOUSE or BONES or GLEE on Fridays, if it's
really only about the money? Should it have been kept on Thursdays where it
was constantly pummeled by some of the most popular shows on PNB tv?

Besides, while it's still struggling for renewal, FRINGE has been doing
decently ratings-wise on Fridays. Far better than it was doing on Thursdays
relative to the competition.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 5, 2011, 6:47:31 PM3/5/11

"erilar" <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote in message

I remember when the Sci Fi channel had original genre programming for Friday
from SIX pm thru ten pm central, FOUR original shows Friday nights.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 5, 2011, 6:49:06 PM3/5/11

"Troy Heagy" <electr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

The stupid part is in trying to go mainstream it becomes one in a thousand
other networks instead of sticking with the theme that made it stand out.

-- Ken from Chicago

Boojum

Mar 5, 2011, 7:02:26 PM3/5/11
On 05/03/2011 6:45 PM, Ken from Chicago wrote:
> Why? Why would Fox want to kill a show? If it wanted to kill a show, why
> not cancel it and air a rerun of HOUSE or BONES or GLEE on Fridays, if
> it's really only about the money? Should it have been kept on Thursdays
> where it was constantly pummeled by some of the most popular shows on
> PNB tv?

"PNB tv"?

Ken from Chicago

Mar 5, 2011, 8:40:35 PM3/5/11

"Boojum" <booj...@gmai1.c0m> wrote in message

Primetime Networked Broadcast tv.

-- Ken from Chicago

Dimensional Traveler

Mar 6, 2011, 1:25:35 AM3/6/11
Something that needs to be remembered is that as far as renewal or
cancellation is concerned, a program's competition is not the shows on
at the same time on other networks. Its the other shows on its own
network. Because the execs can only cancel the shows on their own
network, a show can be "beating" the other network shows in the same
timeslot but still get canceled because it wasn't do well compared to
other shows on the same network.

--
"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a
stick."

Troy Heagy

Mar 6, 2011, 9:26:41 AM3/6/11
On Mar 5, 6:45 pm, "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net>
wrote:
> "Troy Heagy"

> > I guess FOX moved Fringe to Fridays in their usual routine to kill a
> > show.
>
> Why? Why would Fox want to kill a show?

A new FOX executive takes-over from the previous guy, and he doesn't
like the previous guy's work. Or he wants to "make a name" for
himself by putting HIS shows on. Or he hates scifi.

Of course he can't just kill the show directly- so instead he sends
the show to a slot where he knows it will get lousy ratings, and then
use that to say "This show failed." You can read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_night_death_slot#Fox_and_Fridays

Troy Heagy

Mar 6, 2011, 9:34:55 AM3/6/11
On Mar 5, 6:47 pm, "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> "erilar" <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote in message

> >> It was great.
> >> Syfy killed it.
> >> Stupid moth...frakkin...pieces...grumble mub... Grrrr!!!!!  (hand
> >> gesture)
>
> > Seconded with loud applause!
>
> I remember when the Sci Fi channel had original genre programming for Friday
> from SIX pm thru ten pm central, FOUR original shows Friday nights.

I don't. The most I remember is three new shows when they aired SG1,
SGA, and galactica back-to-back. Back in the "Sci Fi Prime" days they
had Lexx and Farscape. Don't remember SF ever having four shows.

Now they're down to what? Merlin? 1?

Boojum

Mar 6, 2011, 10:07:30 AM3/6/11
On 06/03/2011 9:34 AM, Troy Heagy wrote:
> I don't. The most I remember is three new shows when they aired SG1,
> SGA, and galactica back-to-back. Back in the "Sci Fi Prime" days they
> had Lexx and Farscape. Don't remember SF ever having four shows.
>
> Now they're down to what? Merlin? 1?

0. Merlin is *obviously* fantasy, not science fiction. ;)

Ken from Chicago

Mar 6, 2011, 12:24:48 PM3/6/11

"Troy Heagy" <electr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Why take a chance on a struggling show so that if it succeeds the previous
exec gets the credit and if it fails you get the blame?

Touche!

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 6, 2011, 12:26:30 PM3/6/11

"Troy Heagy" <electr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Yep, they snuck one in at 6pm Central, just before primetime, back in the
1990s, in the days of Secret Verne and Invisible Man and Good vs Evil.

-- Ken from Chicago

Troy Heagy

Mar 6, 2011, 3:50:10 PM3/6/11
On Mar 6, 12:24 pm, "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_night_death_slot#Fox_and_Fridays
>
> Why take a chance on a struggling show so that if it succeeds the previous
> exec gets the credit and if it fails you get the blame?

You don't want the previous guy to get the credit, else they might
fire you and hire him back. Also: There's probably some basic male
instinct going on here, where a new exec wants to "stake his
territory" as his own. Killing-off the previous guy's shows (like
Sliders, Firefly, Dollhouse) is an effective way to do that.

Troy Heagy

Mar 6, 2011, 3:59:51 PM3/6/11
On Mar 6, 12:26 pm, "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net>
wrote:
> "Troy Heagy" <electrict...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I don't.  The most I remember is three new shows when they aired SG1,
> > SGA, and galactica back-to-back.  Back in the "Sci Fi Prime" days they
> > had Lexx and Farscape.  Don't remember SF ever having four shows.
>
> Yep, they snuck one in at 6pm Central, just before primetime, back in the
> 1990s, in the days of Secret Verne and Invisible Man and Good vs Evil.

Well I dug-up the old 2000 schedule:
6pm
RERUN (different show each week)
7pm Farscape
8pm G vs. E
9pm Lexx
10pm (repeats)

Ken from Chicago

Mar 6, 2011, 4:57:34 PM3/6/11

"Troy Heagy" <electr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Fortunately female tv execs are far more norturing.

Like when after its second season that FARSCAPE got renewed for two seasons.
Fanfrellingtastic!

-- Ken from Chicago

Dimensional Traveler

Mar 6, 2011, 8:48:21 PM3/6/11
Which explains why Bonnie Hammer was so nurturing of her predecessor's
legacy that she didn't start rejecting shows for being "too science
fictiony" and didn't rename the channel.

Ken from Chicago

Mar 7, 2011, 4:24:57 AM3/7/11

"Dimensional Traveler" <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in message

That's why she's so popular with Sci Fi fans--unlike those mean ole male tv
execs.

-- Ken from Chicago

A Watcher

Mar 12, 2011, 2:14:22 PM3/12/11

That's why puzzles me. Why do they all seem to chase the same audience?
They are doomed to failure when they try that.
There can only be one, number one. ;-)

Can't advertisers be found for shows that attract particular subsets of
viewers?

Dimensional Traveler

Mar 12, 2011, 3:49:46 PM3/12/11
On 3/12/2011 11:14 AM, A Watcher wrote:
> Ken from Chicago wrote:
>> "Troy Heagy" <electr...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Quit work, go back to my hotel room, and watch new episodes of Lexx or
>>> Farscape or SG1 or Atlantis or Battlestar Galactica. (Or else tape
>>> them and watch them Saturday morning.)
>>>
>>> It was great.
>>> Syfy killed it.
>>>
>>> Stupid moth...frakkin...pieces...grumble mub... Grrrr!!!!! (hand
>>> gesture)
>>
>> The stupid part is in trying to go mainstream it becomes one in a
>> thousand other networks instead of sticking with the theme that made
>> it stand out.
>
> That's why puzzles me. Why do they all seem to chase the same audience?
> They are doomed to failure when they try that.
> There can only be one, number one. ;-)
>
> Can't advertisers be found for shows that attract particular subsets of
> viewers?

The networks and cable channels all chase the same audience because
that's what the advertisers pay them to do. Most advertisers don't care
about subsets smaller than "Male 18-35" and "Female 18-35".

inf...@mindspring.com

Mar 12, 2011, 4:18:40 PM3/12/11

Yes, I've had the same thought. I thought the book "The Long Tail"
(which I haven't read) speculated on that, that under a bell curve
there are outliers under the tail of the curve that are not
significant in a small geographical area but become significant when
they can be accessed nationwide. For instance, there may not be enough
science fiction fans in a local broadcast area, but nationwide there
should be. Or marketing clothing for XXXXL-sized people. Or people who
like to rebuild cars, etc.

A Watcher

Mar 12, 2011, 5:38:49 PM3/12/11

I'm far from that age group, but I have more money than most people in
that range.

Dimensional Traveler

Mar 12, 2011, 8:43:17 PM3/12/11

Yes but your buying habits are already fossilized in their view. You
aren't as easily influenced to spend money on something new and
different just because its new and different and has a snazzy
commercial. They either already "have" you and don't need to spend
money on "keeping" you or you've already been "taken" by the competition
and spending money chasing after you isn't going to do them any good.

Ken from Chicago

Mar 13, 2011, 4:55:28 AM3/13/11

"A Watcher" <stoc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

And the PNB tv, while it has been shrinking, still dominates over cable. It
would make more sense to carve out a strong niche market instead of going
for the uncommitted fickle mainstream.

It's a lesson Comcast failed to learn when it bought TechTV and bit by bit
destroyed it as a network about consumer computer technology and bought G4
tv and bit by bit destroyed it as a network about video games. Now Comcast
has two identical channels with a vague identity trying to appeal to male
geeks, and failing miserably.

Meanwhile Leo Laporte and company have gone from TechTV to online with This
Week in Tech and a host of weekly and now a daily Tech News Today shows in
the TWiT network, as well as Kevin Rose and crew founding Revision 3
networks so that online they replicate online what TechTV was. Yes, it's a
niche market but with an incredibly loyal audience.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 13, 2011, 4:58:52 AM3/13/11

"Dimensional Traveler" <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in message

And of course there's never any new categories of products released that
older folks might ever be interested in.

-- Ken from Chicago (who daily sees old folks on cell phones, listening to
music players or reading from kindles on the bus commuting to work)

Merrick Baldelli

Mar 13, 2011, 10:22:44 AM3/13/11
On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 03:58:52 -0500, "Ken from Chicago"
<kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

>And of course there's never any new categories of products released that
>older folks might ever be interested in.

Like what for example? Tablet computing? My experience with
the folk that used to call in for tech support for getting their iPads
connected (along with iPhones, Symbians, Smartphones, etc) were well
above the target audience that television aims for.

--
-=-=-/ )=*=-='=-.-'-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
_( (_ , '_ * . Merrick Baldelli

A Watcher

Mar 13, 2011, 3:04:08 PM3/13/11

I's true that no amount of advertising will make me buy a new car or the
latest electronic gadget.

Dimensional Traveler

Mar 13, 2011, 4:38:14 PM3/13/11
> And of course there's never any new categories of products released that
> older folks might ever be interested in.
>
> -- Ken from Chicago (who daily sees old folks on cell phones, listening
> to music players or reading from kindles on the bus commuting to work)

But they can get the "old fogies" on truly new stuff with the same ads
used for the target demographics. What they don't think they can do is
get the older demographics to buy a new cell phone when they already
have one that still works.

New categories of products are rare.

erilar

Mar 13, 2011, 9:15:23 PM3/13/11
In article <xKSdnS3CXILRGuHQ...@giganews.com>,

"Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

> And of course there's never any new categories of products released that
> older folks might ever be interested in.

Strange how many of us elderly geeks have acquired iPads. . . .

A Watcher

Mar 14, 2011, 1:12:30 AM3/14/11
erilar wrote:
> In article <xKSdnS3CXILRGuHQ...@giganews.com>,
> "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> And of course there's never any new categories of products released that
>> older folks might ever be interested in.
>
> Strange how many of us elderly geeks have acquired iPads. . . .

My wife has a DroidX. I had to get a phone with a keypad so that I
could answer our grandkids texts.

I am an engineer and SW developer. Most geezers probably aren't like
me. I do keep up with the world, I just don't
find that I need all of the latest stuff. My 12 year old Lexus still
drives like new and will probably last for many years yet.

Dimensional Traveler

Mar 14, 2011, 2:59:46 AM3/14/11

And that's exactly the attitude that causes advertisers to not care
about you or what you watch. :)

Merrick Baldelli

Mar 14, 2011, 11:58:01 AM3/14/11
On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 22:12:30 -0700, A Watcher
<stoc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>My wife has a DroidX. I had to get a phone with a keypad so that I
>could answer our grandkids texts.
>
>I am an engineer and SW developer. Most geezers probably aren't like
>me.

Having done several years of tech support both for work and
career as well as end user referrals, I can tell you that there are
more than you're alluding to in your response.

>I do keep up with the world, I just don't find that I need all of
>the latest stuff. My 12 year old Lexus still drives like new and
>will probably last for many years yet.

The Big 3 don't like hearing things like this though. They
want you to buy a new car every 2 years instead of making them last
for more than a decade.

A Watcher

Mar 15, 2011, 8:06:19 PM3/15/11

You're probably right.

Ken from Chicago

Mar 16, 2011, 5:34:33 AM3/16/11

"Dimensional Traveler" <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in message

"But this year's cell phones let them automatically post photos to Twitter
and Facebook!" <chuckle>

> New categories of products are rare.
>
> --
> "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a
> stick."

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 16, 2011, 5:35:28 AM3/16/11

"erilar" <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote in message

Blasphemy! Old folks can't learn tricks! How DARE you defy advertising
tradition?!!

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 16, 2011, 5:37:41 AM3/16/11

"A Watcher" <stoc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Heresy! How DARE you be content with the material goods you've got MERELY
because it met and meets your past and current needs?! You HAVE to get the
new year's models because it's shiny and ... well ... new!

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Mar 16, 2011, 5:41:32 AM3/16/11

"Dimensional Traveler" <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in message

How DARE he NOT be fickle or easily manipulated by ad wizards?!!

-- Ken from Chicago

P.S. "You weak minded fool! He's using an old Jedi mind trick!", Larry Ward,
'Jabba the Hut', STAR WARS: THE RETURN OF THE JEDI.

Ken from Chicago

Mar 16, 2011, 5:43:37 AM3/16/11

"Merrick Baldelli" <mbal...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 22:12:30 -0700, A Watcher
> <stoc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>My wife has a DroidX. I had to get a phone with a keypad so that I
>>could answer our grandkids texts.
>>
>>I am an engineer and SW developer. Most geezers probably aren't like
>>me.
>
> Having done several years of tech support both for work and
> career as well as end user referrals, I can tell you that there are
> more than you're alluding to in your response.
>
>>I do keep up with the world, I just don't find that I need all of
>>the latest stuff. My 12 year old Lexus still drives like new and
>>will probably last for many years yet.
>
> The Big 3 don't like hearing things like this though. They
> want you to buy a new car every 2 years instead of making them last
> for more than a decade.

Merrick's being unusually kind. The Big 3 want you to buy a car every single
year--just like the cell phone makers, tv makers, etc. Faster if they could
make the product faster.

-- Ken from Chicago

Obveeus

Mar 16, 2011, 9:33:41 AM3/16/11

"Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Heresy! How DARE you be content with the material goods you've got MERELY
> because it met and meets your past and current needs?! You HAVE to get the
> new year's models because it's shiny and ... well ... new!

Some old farts still go that route, but reaching them with advertising can
be done on FOXNews or daytime soaps or whatnot for ten cents on the dollar
compared with the desireable primetime network ad space.

erilar

Mar 16, 2011, 8:33:33 PM3/16/11
In article <ilqe7s$4bc$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

Gee, I only know one person anywhere near my age(I'm 76) who apparently
watches Faux News. I suspect she does because she has really strange
views on many things, including current events, that could come from no
other source.

Obveeus

Mar 17, 2011, 7:54:52 AM3/17/11

"erilar" <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Heresy! How DARE you be content with the material goods you've got
>> > MERELY
>> > because it met and meets your past and current needs?! You HAVE to get
>> > the
>> > new year's models because it's shiny and ... well ... new!
>>
>> Some old farts still go that route, but reaching them with advertising
>> can
>> be done on FOXNews or daytime soaps or whatnot for ten cents on the
>> dollar
>> compared with the desireable primetime network ad space.
>
> Gee, I only know one person anywhere near my age(I'm 76) who apparently
> watches Faux News. I suspect she does because she has really strange
> views on many things, including current events, that could come from no
> other source.

Let me guess: Obama is an alien, the trick to ending government deficits is
to cut taxes, healthcare is bad except for the prescription drug plan, and
all female newscasters should look like pole dancers.

Merrick Baldelli

Mar 17, 2011, 10:54:22 AM3/17/11
On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 07:54:52 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>Let me guess: Obama is an alien, the trick to ending government deficits is
>to cut taxes, healthcare is bad except for the prescription drug plan, and
>all female newscasters should look like pole dancers.

This is what I get for reading this while drinking my morning
coffee. I'm now seeing two local newscasters doing pole dances while
giving out the evening news:

http://www.projo.com/photos/20100215/RI0215_Patrice1_02-15-10_82HF46Q.jpg

and

http://www2.turnto10.com/mgmedia/image/630/394/38447/health-check-adhd-01360/

Now I need some brain bleach... thanks.

erilar

Mar 17, 2011, 6:54:16 PM3/17/11
In article <ilssqb$eff$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

> "erilar" <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> > Gee, I only know one person anywhere near my age(I'm 76) who apparently
> > watches Faux News. I suspect she does because she has really strange
> > views on many things, including current events, that could come from no
> > other source.
>
> Let me guess: Obama is an alien, the trick to ending government deficits is
> to cut taxes, healthcare is bad except for the prescription drug plan, and
> all female newscasters should look like pole dancers.

All except the last.

Kevin Provance

Mar 17, 2011, 10:29:30 PM3/17/11

"Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> It's a lesson Comcast failed to learn when it bought TechTV and bit by bit
> destroyed it as a network about consumer computer technology and bought G4
> tv and bit by bit destroyed it as a network about video games. Now Comcast
> has two identical channels with a vague identity trying to appeal to male
> geeks, and failing miserably.

Ah yes...I remember both that channels of old.

Now if I want to watch cops, or some new reality show about what's tough....

Dillon Pyron

Mar 19, 2011, 12:27:57 AM3/19/11
Thus spake A Watcher <stoc...@earthlink.net> :

>Ken from Chicago wrote:
>>

>> "Troy Heagy" <electr...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Quit work, go back to my hotel room, and watch new episodes of Lexx or
>>> Farscape or SG1 or Atlantis or Battlestar Galactica. (Or else tape
>>> them and watch them Saturday morning.)
>>>
>>> It was great.
>>> Syfy killed it.
>>>
>>> Stupid moth...frakkin...pieces...grumble mub... Grrrr!!!!! (hand
>>> gesture)
>>
>> The stupid part is in trying to go mainstream it becomes one in a
>> thousand other networks instead of sticking with the theme that made it
>> stand out.
>>

>> -- Ken from Chicago

>That's why puzzles me. Why do they all seem to chase the same audience?
> They are doomed to failure when they try that.
>There can only be one, number one. ;-)
>
>Can't advertisers be found for shows that attract particular subsets of
>viewers?

I used to wonder why they don't aim at people like me. Large
disposable income.

The trick is, I've already become "set in my ways". No reason to
persuade me. But the 18-25 year olds are still making life time
buying decisions.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

An object's desireability to a dog is directly
proportional to its desireability to another dog.

erilar

Mar 19, 2011, 12:35:08 PM3/19/11
In article <i3c8o6hcvg4umn43j...@4ax.com>,
Dillon Pyron <invalid...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> I used to wonder why they don't aim at people like me. Large
> disposable income.
>
> The trick is, I've already become "set in my ways". No reason to
> persuade me. But the 18-25 year olds are still making life time
> buying decisions.

But we still buy things, and those with actual new products to sell keep
aiming at the kids who may be less set in their ways but don't HAVE all
that much disposable income. I'm the one with a new iPad; none of my
18-25 year old grandchildren can afford one.

Dillon Pyron

Mar 22, 2011, 11:43:27 PM3/22/11
Thus spake erilar <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> :

>In article <i3c8o6hcvg4umn43j...@4ax.com>,
> Dillon Pyron <invalid...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I used to wonder why they don't aim at people like me. Large
>> disposable income.
>>
>> The trick is, I've already become "set in my ways". No reason to
>> persuade me. But the 18-25 year olds are still making life time
>> buying decisions.
>
>But we still buy things, and those with actual new products to sell keep
>aiming at the kids who may be less set in their ways but don't HAVE all
>that much disposable income. I'm the one with a new iPad; none of my
>18-25 year old grandchildren can afford one.

As a travel agent, I'll point out one of the most blatant, egregious
ad campaigns aimed at the young. Walt Disney World. You know all
those ads where they show the parents enjoying their kids getting
excited about going? Those aren't aimed at the parents, they're aimed
at the kids, who guilt the parents by pointing out how happy those
kids are.

As "we" age, though, the ad campaigns have shifted. More ads for
Caddys and MBs. Both more "mature" market targets. And let's not
even get into the two male insecurity product groups.