[RASSM]: Lurkers Guest book

jade

Feb 7, 2001, 12:38:04 PM2/7/01
SSSHHHH be Vewy quiet. I am hunting Luwkews.

Since the cropping up of some fine specimens recently (Is this a ground
hog day thing? If a lurker sees a shadow on it's own post, will winter
continue for six months?) I am curious just how many of you there are.

If you are a lurker who rarely or has never posted, please sign this
lurker guest book, tell us relatively little about yourself and return
to your Montana freedmen, Ted Kazcinsky, life of reclusiveness, or stay
and play if you like.

Seriously, I want to know who you are, how long you have been here and
what you like/dislike about the group.

I suggest staying and playing. (Hint: Miller still falls for the
flaming doodie bag trick)

Any regs who feel like being your usual smart ass selves, god love you
(but I really don't want to read through the list), remember one thing:

Omar needs a prison penpal and you don't want to be it.

Your loving master and Lurker hunter,

Jadelicious the chewed.
--
Porkins will wrestle your children for food.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Mark Miller

Feb 7, 2001, 1:33:22 PM2/7/01

> I suggest staying and playing. (Hint: Miller still falls for the
> flaming doodie bag trick)

Damn you Jade. They didn't know that, and they didn't need to. Now i'll be
cleaning off my boots for all eternity!

-Mark

--
http://www.geocities.com/swtrilman/index.html

Jill Marie Fritsche

Feb 7, 2001, 1:50:24 PM2/7/01
Jade, *that's* why they're called lurkers......they never/rarely
post. And if they did, would they reply to you?! ;-)

An interesting experiment.....;-)

~~jill marie

jade <jad...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

« Çhèetah! »

Feb 7, 2001, 2:02:40 PM2/7/01
jade wrote:

> Any regs who feel like being your usual smart ass selves,
> god love you

I've always loved myself, but thanks for reminding everyone - cause
everyone loves a god who loves himself...

> 8========##<^>##========8
> 8========##<^>##========8

Love comes in spurts...

Jesus loves you, but not enough to swallow...

If you love someone, lick her 'til she screams.

If God is love, & Love is blind, is Ray Charles God?

The more you love, the more you can love! L. Long

jade

Feb 7, 2001, 2:21:32 PM2/7/01
In article <QNgg6.77$X61....@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

"Jill Marie Fritsche" <jill-...@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote:
> Jade, *that's* why they're called lurkers......they never/rarely
> post. And if they did, would they reply to you?! ;-)

Are you saying I frighten the children?

> An interesting experiment.....;-)

I hope with an interesting result.

> ~~jill marie

Jadey mudskipper
--
Marge, it's uterUS, not uterYou!

Jill Marie Fritsche

Feb 7, 2001, 4:32:15 PM2/7/01

jade <jad...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <QNgg6.77$X61....@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> "Jill Marie Fritsche" <jill-...@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote:

> > Jade, *that's* why they're called lurkers......they never/rarely
> > post. And if they did, would they reply to you?! ;-)
> >

> Are you saying I frighten the children?

Yes.

~~jm

CMCJLC

Feb 7, 2001, 5:06:37 PM2/7/01
Hi! I've been an on-again-off-again lurker of RASS/RASSM since aound '93-'94,
depending on if I had access to a computer. Back then, I was a starving
college kid. Now I'm a part-time engineer working in Washington State, as well
as a wife and mom.

I've loved SW since I can remember. ANH came out on my 5th birthday. The best
thing I like about this group is the really witty sense of humor you all have.
You ought to write for a living! The least thing I like is the fact that I
think that most of us lurkers are afraid to post because we'll get our heads
bitten off if we say the wrong thing.

I haven't posted many times just because I'm just too busy to contribute
anything good. Either that, or I just don't have the great sense of humor you
all have to come up with anything witty!

Glad to meet you all.

-Cindy (going back to lurk mode, maybe I'll post again in another year or two.)

Message has been deleted

Darth Gumby

Feb 8, 2001, 5:25:04 AM2/8/01
On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 13:33:22 -0500, "Mark Miller"
<vttw...@NOSPAM.vt.edu> telepathically conveyed
to me:

>> I suggest staying and playing. (Hint: Miller still falls for the
>> flaming doodie bag trick)
>
>Damn you Jade. They didn't know that, and they didn't need to. Now i'll be
>cleaning off my boots for all eternity!
>
>-Mark

*light goes on*

So THAT's why the poop's in the bag... Okay, see,
I thought it acted as a... flaming thing.

I haven't had enough pranks played on me.

DarthGumby
remove MyHelmet to e-mail me.
I want to look upon your e-mail... with my own eyes... *wheeze*

--Anywhere my computer hangs is home

uni...@my-deja.com

Feb 8, 2001, 5:51:54 AM2/8/01
HELLO!

I am Unice Corn! I am a lurker!

I am not a groundhog but I know a few! They are in my gang!

I enjoy cooking with garlic! Garlic is good!

Porkins could use some Garlic! His arteries would be blowing up faster
than his ship over the Death Star! HEEHEEHEEHEE!

What are you hunting me for? I will not make a flaming doodie bag for
Miller! Do it yourself! You are mean to him, but you are cool, so I
like you! You remind me of myself, but I know I am female!

I like the group! You are a fun bunch!

I do not want to be Omar's penpal because I am stacked and I do not
need that freak on my ass!

I am a big Star Wars fan! I like Yoda! I want to see Yoda get it on in
the next film! He can be my master!

I will lurk now!

Much love to you!
Unice!
Eat your garlic!
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Falls/8692/StarWars/Beginning.html

jade

Feb 8, 2001, 8:05:57 AM2/8/01
In article <20010207170637...@ng-fy1.aol.com>,

cmc...@aol.com (CMCJLC) wrote:
> Hi! I've been an on-again-off-again lurker of RASS/RASSM since
aound '93-'94,
> depending on if I had access to a computer.

Hi!

>Back then, I was a starving
> college kid. Now I'm a part-time engineer working in Washington
State, as well
> as a wife and mom.

I'll forgive you for being an engineer (unless you mean the kind that
drive trains. They're cool!)

> I've loved SW since I can remember. ANH came out on my 5th
birthday. The best
> thing I like about this group is the really witty sense of humor you
all have.
> You ought to write for a living! The least thing I like is the fact
that I
> think that most of us lurkers are afraid to post because we'll get
our heads
> bitten off if we say the wrong thing.

As long as you aren't selling anything but love, you are safe. I think
RASSM has a bad rap just because of the way we treat trolls and
spammers. We actually have a lot less infighting than other SW groups.

> I haven't posted many times just because I'm just too busy to
contribute
> anything good. Either that, or I just don't have the great sense of
humor you
> all have to come up with anything witty!
>
> Glad to meet you all.
>
> -Cindy (going back to lurk mode, maybe I'll post again in another
>year or two.)

Well we know you're here now, regardless.

Jade
--
Welcome to our family.

NeshaKovalick

Feb 8, 2001, 3:47:08 AM2/8/01
CMCJLC wrote:

> Hi! I've been an on-again-off-again lurker of RASS/RASSM since aound '93-'94,
> depending on if I had access to a computer. Back then, I was a starving
> college kid. Now I'm a part-time engineer working in Washington State, as well
> as a wife and mom.
>
> I've loved SW since I can remember. ANH came out on my 5th birthday. The best
> thing I like about this group is the really witty sense of humor you all have.
> You ought to write for a living!

You didn't know we get paid for this??

The least thing I like is the fact that I
> think that most of us lurkers are afraid to post because we'll get our heads
> bitten off if we say the wrong thing.
>
> I haven't posted many times just because I'm just too busy to contribute
> anything good. Either that, or I just don't have the great sense of humor you
> all have to come up with anything witty!
>
> Glad to meet you all.
>
> -Cindy (going back to lurk mode, maybe I'll post again in another year or two.)

Nesha
"Many Bothans have died to pay my Mastercard bill."

jade

Feb 8, 2001, 12:20:24 PM2/8/01
In article <95uam8$nab$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Jedah <vade...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> JIMINY! We gots an audience! Damn, someone tell Jeremy to put it
back
> in his pants, we got company!

That MIGHT be what drew her here. (our freedom with nudity I mean, not
Jeremy's thing)

> > >Back then, I was a starving
> > > college kid. Now I'm a part-time engineer working in Washington
> > State, as well
> > > as a wife and mom.
> >
> > I'll forgive you for being an engineer (unless you mean the kind
that
> > drive trains. They're cool!)
> >

> Is it true engineers have to wear Dilbert ties?

> > > I've loved SW since I can remember. ANH came out on my 5th
> > birthday. The best
> > > thing I like about this group is the really witty sense of humor
you
> > all have.
> > > You ought to write for a living! The least thing I like is the
fact
> > that I
> > > think that most of us lurkers are afraid to post because we'll get
> > our heads
> > > bitten off if we say the wrong thing.
> >
> > As long as you aren't selling anything but love, you are safe. I
think
> > RASSM has a bad rap just because of the way we treat trolls and
> > spammers. We actually have a lot less infighting than other SW
groups.

> I can think of one in particular... It's gonna get crossposted,
> y'know. It's gonna happen. I won't do it, but someone else will look
> there and find that thread and it'll be WW_ (I dunno what number we're
> on now).

SHHHT! *elbows Jedah*

> > > I haven't posted many times just because I'm just too busy to
> > contribute
> > > anything good. Either that, or I just don't have the great sense
of
> > humor you
> > > all have to come up with anything witty!
> > >

> I dunno, I've been here almost a year and still haven't said anything
> witty.

> > > Glad to meet you all.
> > >

> Pleased ta meetcha!

> > > -Cindy (going back to lurk mode, maybe I'll post again in another
> > >year or two.)
> >

> You keep readin' 'em, we'll keep writin' 'em.

> > Well we know you're here now, regardless.
> >
> > Jade
> > --
> > Welcome to our family.
> >

> I wear the Daddy pants.

Does Daddy know you're in there with him?

Jaderama ding dong
--
oompapa ooh mow mow!

CMCJLC

Feb 8, 2001, 4:20:41 PM2/8/01
>> >Back then, I was a starving
>> > college kid. Now I'm a part-time engineer working in Washington
>> State, as well
>> > as a wife and mom.
>>
>> I'll forgive you for being an engineer (unless you mean the kind that
>> drive trains. They're cool!)

I wish!

>Is it true engineers have to wear Dilbert ties?

Only the male ones. We female engineers have to tease our hair up in that
big-pointy triangular-hairdo that Alice (from the comic) has. I go through a
can of Rave a week! : )

-Cindy

Wes Hutchings

Feb 8, 2001, 8:08:06 PM2/8/01
In article <20010208162041...@ng-fl1.aol.com>,

More importantly, do you control the fist of death or does it control you?
wes

--
wes
Founder of the ELA (Ewok Liberation Army)Yub Yub

Be sure to visit our sponsor KFS(while supplies last)

" This world can turn me down, but I won't turn away and I won't duck and
run, cause I'm not built that way" 3DoorsDown:Duck and Run

"Let me die on my own terms, let me live and let me learn. Now I'll follow my
own way and I'll live on to another damn day. Freedom carries sacrifice,
remember when this was my life" 3DoorsDown: Life of My Own

Stiletto

Feb 9, 2001, 12:45:16 AM2/9/01
To follow Cindy's form (not very creative at this hour):

Hello... I've been a part-time lurker of RASS/RASSM from around 1997
to 2001, depending on whether or not I had decent USENET access. In
1997, I was a freshman computer science major in college, and 3.5 years
later (and a few trips to "the real world"), I'm a sophomore computer
science major! Hm, you do the math...

I've loved SW ever since I can recall. ROTJ came out when I was 4 or 5
(somewhere around there), and I distinctly remember getting the Ewok
Playset and many action figures for Christmas that year, as well as
watching the Ewoks cartoon on TV...

The best thing I like about this group is: the great sense of humor you
all have, as well as the miscellaneous trivia facts you can pick up
here and there...

The least thing I like about this group is: all the "inside" jokes that
I don't get because I'm a lurker ;)

The reason I'm a lurker is: I really don't have time to post on USENET
much and mainly use it as a research tool.

For the roleplayers out there, I'm a fairly experienced Star Wars: The
Roleplaying Game roleplayer and gamesmaster, having played the game way
back starting in 1992 on the "COMPUTER GAMES," then "SCI-FI/FANTASY,"
then the "GALAXY FORCE" Bulletin Boards on PRODIGY online service. My
handle here on DejaNews comes from my main character, Devon Stiletto,
which I have played (off and on) for 7-8 years. After I stopped using
PRODIGY in 1995, I continued using him later in a semi-popular WebChat
known as "The Cantina," run by Jon Wildman (at his web site) and
then "Mitth" of Star-Network.com (whose website I'm still mourning the
passing of). I'm also known to admins of The Star Wars Roleplaying
Club (http://www.starwarsclub.org) as well as the renewed Galaxy Force
Bulletin Board on Delphi (http://www.delphi.com). I also happen to
know A.C. Crispin's personal Instant Messenger handle, and have rudely
bugged her when I saw her online, in the past (nyah nyah nyah...)

Another reason I spend more time lurking in USENET groups rather than
posting is that I'm involved in several projects. First and foremost,
I'm a developer of the open-source arcade emulation software known as
MAME (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator - http://www.mame.net) - the best
way to play the old "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back," and "Return
of the Jedi" arcade games on your PC/Mac/other. (No, it's not going to
emulate Star Wars Episode 1: Pod Racer or Star Wars Trilogy any time
soon - although Star Wars Arcade is not out of the question within the
next few years.) I'm also currently working on a (very WIP) FAQ about
the game known to the Star Wars universe as Dejarik, D'jarik,
or "holochess" to be used in production of an unlicensed freeware open-
source portable computer game version, hopefully with no legal hassles
from LucasFilm or Decipher (or Wizards of the Coast, for that matter).
Finally, I remain in touch with David Sanborn, programmer of the
original "Sabacc for Windows" computer game and developer of the
original "The Sabacc Homepage," and also with Joe Frese, coder of the
recent "SabaccX" computer game for Windows, and beta-test his software
whenever he makes a new release. Joe - where are you? :)

And I do all this while being a sophomore computer science major (and a
fairly good one at that) and working for the university.

And I am certainly glad to meet you all as well!

- Stiletto (going back to lurk mode as well, maybe I'll post my Dejarik
FAQ in a year or two...)

jade

Feb 9, 2001, 8:40:30 AM2/9/01
In article <96005b$6p0$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Welcome! Stay for dinner. Nesha's cookin' so you know it's gonna be
good.

Jade
--
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZingg!

Jedah

Feb 9, 2001, 9:48:59 AM2/9/01
In article <e0e48tsa8hepdsjb2...@4ax.com>,
Sara Waterfall <evi...@militantlesbiandeathbitch.com> wrote:
> We've secretly replaced the Pacific Ocean with Folgers crystals. Let's
> see if jade notices:
>
> [snip]

> >Any regs who feel like being your usual smart ass selves, god love
you
> >(but I really don't want to read through the list), remember one
thing:

> >Omar needs a prison penpal and you don't want to be it.
>
> Bring him on.
>
> Sal
> -one more creepy guy stalker ain't gonna make a difference

After Duggy they all start to seem normal, don't they?

--
Jedah
DuggyDoesn'tStalkMe

Message has been deleted

Jedah

Feb 9, 2001, 11:40:33 AM2/9/01
In article <nv188tg3o28tt43ro...@4ax.com>,

Sara Waterfall <evi...@militantlesbiandeathbitch.com> wrote:
> We've secretly replaced the Pacific Ocean with Folgers crystals. Let's
> see if Jedah notices:

> >In article <e0e48tsa8hepdsjb2...@4ax.com>,
> > Sara Waterfall <evi...@militantlesbiandeathbitch.com> wrote:
> >> We've secretly replaced the Pacific Ocean with Folgers crystals.
Let's
> >> see if jade notices:
> >>
> >> [snip]

> >you
> >thing:

> >> Bring him on.
> >>
> >> Sal
> >> -one more creepy guy stalker ain't gonna make a difference
> >
> >After Duggy they all start to seem normal, don't they?
>
> I don't think Duggy's ever had the pleasure of stalking me.

Oh I believe he's stalked everyone on this NG at some point, except me.

Wait, who's that hiding in the other cubical?

Oh dear god!

-- No Carrier --

> Sal
> -god, that sounds egotistical. oh well.
> --
> MiSTie #92866, death-bitch, and all around wonderful person.
> "Breaking into your starship and killing your guards is wizard.
> Yippee." - Vader, the abridged "A New Hope" script
> (http://ter.air0day.com/swnewhope.html)
> cshore.com enjoys getting email for lull.

Message has been deleted

Ron Ostrander

Feb 9, 2001, 1:30:18 PM2/9/01
"Jill Marie Fritsche" <jill-...@att.net> wrote in message

> Jade, *that's* why they're called lurkers......they never/rarely
> post. And if they did, would they reply to you?! ;-)

Because we have nothing better to do..?

Well, I'm Ron...I've been around, on and off, since late 1992-early 1993
when I was a freshman in college, Usenet was fresh and new to me, and RASS*
was simply RASS. I was an infrequent contributor back in the day--my claim
to fame is writing the Dark Empire Summary, which was intended to help those
reading the Jedi Academy trilogy figure out the references to the Emperor
being a clone, Luke turning to the Dark Side, and good stuff like that. (And
this summary still exists out there somewhere on the web, I don't really
know where but if you plug my name into Google or Yahoo you'll probably find
it.)

I dropped out of school in '95 and kinda lost track of things here, but got
back into it again in '99 after finally buying a computer. I haven't posted
much since then because, well, I haven't had a whole lot to say that was all
that worthwhile. I still hang out for the odd bits of trivia that float by,
but since I haven't been part of the "community" for so long per se I've
pretty much stayed out of it.

If I have something amazingly funny or insightful to say, you'll hear it
from me first...
--
Ron Ostrander
ron...@mindspring.com

Jostein Hakestad

Feb 9, 2001, 2:31:39 PM2/9/01

"jade" <jad...@my-deja.com> skrev i melding

> SSSHHHH be Vewy quiet. I am hunting Luwkews.
>
> Since the cropping up of some fine specimens recently (Is this a ground
> hog day thing? If a lurker sees a shadow on it's own post, will winter
> continue for six months?) I am curious just how many of you there are.

I'm Jostein and I've been lurking for fifteen minutes now.

I hunt polar bears for a living.

(I've been a Star Wars fan for 6 years now)

--
Jostein H, Norway.

melcha

Feb 9, 2001, 4:47:32 PM2/9/01
<delurk>

In article <95s15q$og2$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
jade <jad...@my-deja.com> wrote:
<snippetry>

My name is Maaike, but the handle 'melcha' is there for anyone who
can't pronounce my name (Of course, this is a written media, so why I
should care I don't know...).

My introduction to RASSM came through the Shaven Wookie website, and I
became enamoured of your humour, especially the soap opera and Sith
Wars. I've lurked off and on for the last two or three years, and have
even delurked a few times in the last few months.

The first SW movie I saw was ROTJ. I spent the whole thing looking for
the gray Ewok in the pink hood, and was very frustrated by the end :)
My claim to fame is non-existant, as I never get around to sending
fanart or fic to websites interested in that sort of thing. Oh well.

-Maaike

</delurk>

Celaeno

Feb 9, 2001, 6:34:07 PM2/9/01
You will not evade me, uni...@my-deja.com:

Should I be disturbed or pleased that even our lurkers are like this?

( :) )

Rakelle

« Çhèetah! »

Feb 9, 2001, 6:39:39 PM2/9/01
Jostein Hakestad wrote:

> I hunt polar bears for a living.

I have a nodel train, it likes raisin cake...

« Çhèetah! »

Feb 9, 2001, 6:40:41 PM2/9/01
Sara Waterfall wrote:

> Sal
> -god, that sounds egotistical. oh well.

So does that, in context... <ducking>

« Çhèetah! »

Feb 9, 2001, 7:13:37 PM2/9/01
Celaeno wrote:

>> Much love to you!
>> Unice!
>> Eat your garlic!

> Should I be disturbed or pleased that even our lurkers are like this?

> ( :) )

> Rakelle

..yes...

CMCJLC

Feb 10, 2001, 1:31:32 AM2/10/01
>> >Is it true engineers have to wear Dilbert ties?
>>
>> Only the male ones. We female engineers have to tease our hair up in that
>> big-pointy triangular-hairdo that Alice (from the comic) has. I go through
>> can of Rave a week! : )
>>
>> -Cindy
>
>More importantly, do you control the fist of death or does it control you?
>we

Oh, it definately controls me. I cannot be held responsible for any actions
resulting from my fist of death. :-D

-Cindy

Jostein Hakestad

Feb 10, 2001, 4:44:26 AM2/10/01

"« Çhčetah! »" <Rabid...@NOSPAMmailandnews.com> skrev i melding

> I have a nodel train, it likes raisin cake...

Most trains do.

--
Jostein H

Bill Anderson

Feb 10, 2001, 3:25:48 PM2/10/01
In article <95s15q$og2$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, jad...@my-deja.com says...

> SSSHHHH be Vewy quiet. I am hunting Luwkews.
>
> Since the cropping up of some fine specimens recently (Is this a ground
> hog day thing? If a lurker sees a shadow on it's own post, will winter
> continue for six months?) I am curious just how many of you there are.

Hi Jade:

I have posted a time or two (maybe more?) but these days mostly I lurk
because I have little to add to the discussion. I know only two things
for sure about "Star Wars:"

1) I know the original film wasn't titled "A New Hope" until 1981. Don't
believe it? Just dare me, and I'll bury you in evidence. And you won't
be able to offer any legitimate evidence to the contrary. So there, take
that, and nya nya!

2) I know the current ending of ROTJ cannot serve as a satisfactory
ending for the 6-part saga that has begun with "Phantom Menace." When
"Star Wars" was just the story of Luke Skywalker, the end of ROTJ worked
almost well enough. But now that the whole thing has become the story of
Anakin Skywalker, the end doesn't work at all. Nope. No way. Far too
many loose ends are not addressed. Left as it is, the end will represent
lousy storytelling technique -- yes, lousy even for George Lucas.

So, when the discussion gets around to either of those two subjects, I
jump in. Otherwise, I try to keep my mouth shut.

I really, really, really do try...

Even when Policrat amazes me once again that someone with his admirable
intellect stoops to respond to some of the idiocies that appear (yes,
even in RASSM) once in a while. But since he does, here's an OT idiocy
of my own: Poli, how do your countrymen pronounce "Carnegie?" I've
always said, "CAR-neg-ie." But the good folks at National Public Radio
regularly give credit to the "Andrew Car-NAY-gie Foundation." And all
I'm concerned about, here, is the accented syllable; don't even start
with me on the "r."

Even when Rimrunner (with whom I'm secretly in love...shhhh) goes off
topic to recommend "Crouching Tigers, Leapin' Lizards" or whatever it's
called. Which I'm actually going to see tonight. And which I
wouldn't have agreed to see, if she hadn't recommended it. Her first,
succinct comment on the film sold me. Really.

Even when a Sith War begins. And continues. And continues. And
continues.

Even when Chris Hawkins doesn't remember me. I mean, after all that
moaning about how he was just TOOOO busy to bother fixing the FAQ, and
now he has no clue who I am. Me, a fellow ardent Vols fan. Geez.

Even when Cheetah posts something. (Is it appropriate to call Cheetah's
posts, "posts?" Is there a more appropriate designation for what Cheetah
does?) Also...even when the RabidHoojib signs his posts "=?iso-8859-
1?Q?=AB=20=C7h=E8etah=21=20=BB?="

Even when Paul Dug Duggy Duggan wastes everyone's time with his posts.
(His claim, not mine!) I figure it's because he's been standing upside
down so long, all his blood's run to his head. But his sig makes me
laugh, so I'm always glad to see his name on a post. Can't decide
whether I admire his sig more, or DarthGumby's "remove MyHelmet."

Even when my name doesn't appear in the monthly birthday list. Which it
actually wouldn't have appeared in yet, because I wasn't around here last
May 11. That's May 11, 19...um. 19...um. Let me think about this.

Even when yet another clueless idiot tries to sell dolls on RASSM.

Even when Jeremy suggests that people who disagree with him exhibit a
lack of character. Sigh. Jeremy, the phrase, "You've got to be
kidding," is not necessarily a personal attack. And another thing --
when does that gig with LucasFilm start? We'll want to hear all about
that, so take a laptop and plan on posting daily updates! Please? And
BTW, congrats on recognizing Omar for what he was early on. (Gosh, it's
cathartic, getting all this taken care of at once.)

Even when somebody says, "Is Star Wars available on DVD?"

Even when Nesha Kovalick (with whom I am secretly in love...shhhhh....and
who is NOT a senile moron) gets confused about the era when VCRs began
appearing in homes. The "Betamax" was introduced to the market in 1975.
By 1977 the machines were dropping in price and expanding in tape
capacity, and they were beginning to show up all over. I bought my very
own personal VCR in 1979; too late for the Holiday Special, though.
Sorry. On the other hand, one of the first things I did was transfer a
Sony U-matic 3/4" tape copy of a certain film over to VHS. And yes, one
of the primary motivating factors for purchasing that VCR was to acquire
my own copy of that certain film. (No, I'm not talking about "Deep
Throat," though actually...) I was pretty confident when I made the
decision to spend $1,200 on a VHS rather than a Betamax machine -- I just
KNEW Betamax wasn't going to last. Prescient, no?

Even when Jill Marie Fritsche (with whom I am secretly in love...shhhh)
accuses me of being a "know-it-all." Harumph. Wherever would she get an
idea like that?

Even when Michael Ward quotes Scripture and compares Darth Vader to Jesus
Christ. Or wait...did George Lucas do that first?

Even when somebody disses Jar Jar.

Even when someone, anyone, filks. Somebody, please point me to one, just
ONE, amusing filk. Please.

Even when *** goes off meds. (I'd say Beetlejuice three times before I'd
say that name once.)

Even when the "Jade: Male or Female?" debate cranks up again. Of
course, Jade, I must admit it really is awkward, not knowing whether I'm
secretly in love with you. So I'm afraid I'll have to insist we clear up
the matter of your gender before our (secret...shhhhh) relationship can
continue.

I suppose the primary reason I lurk here almost daily is to appreciate
the camaraderie and the (usually) intelligent give-and-take. And some
people here are brilliantly witty...like this from Nesha recently: "Now,
what the heck [midichlorians mean] in terms of the biology of our galaxy
is pretty hard to say. This is why I think the midichlorians are a
dreadful idea, and why Darth Gary, Ph.D spit his coke all over me the
first time we went to see TPM." That's just one example. There's lots
more, from lots of contributors.

Also, every once in a while I pick up a bit of interesting trivia about
the Star Wars series. And it's a decent way to bide my time until the
next Star Wars installment appears. I like RASSM.

Bill "I Didn't Leave Out Anybody Important, Did I?" Anderson
--
I hate a dirty joke, I do,
Unless it's told by someone who,

John Constantine

Feb 10, 2001, 4:05:47 PM2/10/01
Bill Anderson <billan...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>2) I know the current ending of ROTJ cannot serve as a satisfactory
>ending for the 6-part saga that has begun with "Phantom Menace."

There's no way anyone can know that until they've seen the next two
films.

Policrat'

Feb 10, 2001, 4:59:09 PM2/10/01
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Bill Anderson:

> In article <95s15q$og2$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, jad...@my-deja.com says...
>> SSSHHHH be Vewy quiet. I am hunting Luwkews.
>>
>> Since the cropping up of some fine specimens recently (Is this a ground
>> hog day thing? If a lurker sees a shadow on it's own post, will winter
>> continue for six months?) I am curious just how many of you there are.
>>

> Hi Jade:
>
> I have posted a time or two (maybe more?) but these days mostly I lurk
> because I have little to add to the discussion. I know only two things
> for sure about "Star Wars:"
>
> 1) I know the original film wasn't titled "A New Hope" until 1981. Don't
> believe it? Just dare me, and I'll bury you in evidence. And you won't
> be able to offer any legitimate evidence to the contrary. So there, take
> that, and nya nya!
>
> 2) I know the current ending of ROTJ cannot serve as a satisfactory
> ending for the 6-part saga that has begun with "Phantom Menace." When
> "Star Wars" was just the story of Luke Skywalker, the end of ROTJ worked
> almost well enough. But now that the whole thing has become the story of
> Anakin Skywalker, the end doesn't work at all. Nope. No way. Far too
> many loose ends are not addressed. Left as it is, the end will represent
> lousy storytelling technique -- yes, lousy even for George Lucas.

Very true.

> So, when the discussion gets around to either of those two subjects, I
> jump in. Otherwise, I try to keep my mouth shut.
>
> I really, really, really do try...
>
> Even when Policrat amazes me once again that someone with his admirable
> intellect stoops to respond to some of the idiocies that appear (yes,
> even in RASSM) once in a while. But since he does, here's an OT idiocy
> of my own: Poli, how do your countrymen pronounce "Carnegie?" I've
> always said, "CAR-neg-ie." But the good folks at National Public Radio
> regularly give credit to the "Andrew Car-NAY-gie Foundation." And all
> I'm concerned about, here, is the accented syllable; don't even start
> with me on the "r."

It's pronounced 'Car-NEGY', or if you're being pukka, 'Car-NÉ-gee'... I've
heard 'CAR-neg-ie', but I think only in American...

> Even when Rimrunner (with whom I'm secretly in love...shhhh)

You too, huh?-)

> goes off topic to recommend "Crouching Tigers, Leapin' Lizards" or whatever
> it's called. Which I'm actually going to see tonight. And which I
> wouldn't have agreed to see, if she hadn't recommended it. Her first,
> succinct comment on the film sold me. Really.

[reluctant snip of much funny stuff =]

> Even when yet another clueless idiot tries to sell dolls on RASSM.

ROTFLOL!

> Even when Nesha Kovalick (with whom I am secretly in love...shhhhh....and
> who is NOT a senile moron)

You too, huh?-)

> gets confused about the era when VCRs began appearing in homes. The
> "Betamax" was introduced to the market in 1975. By 1977 the machines were
> dropping in price and expanding in tape capacity, and they were beginning to
> show up all over. I bought my very own personal VCR in 1979; too late for the
> Holiday Special, though. Sorry. On the other hand, one of the first things I
> did was transfer a Sony U-matic 3/4" tape copy of a certain film over to VHS.
> And yes, one of the primary motivating factors for purchasing that VCR was to
> acquire my own copy of that certain film. (No, I'm not talking about "Deep
> Throat," though actually...) I was pretty confident when I made the
> decision to spend $1,200 on a VHS rather than a Betamax machine -- I just
> KNEW Betamax wasn't going to last. Prescient, no?

Prescient, oui.

And thanks for clearing up the question. That's one of the things *I* like
about RASSM: there's normally someone to solve any obscure puzzle that crops
up...

> Even when Jill Marie Fritsche (with whom I am secretly in love...shhhh)

You too, huh?-)

> accuses me of being a "know-it-all." Harumph. Wherever would she get an
> idea like that?

<shrug>

[little snip]

> Even when somebody disses Jar Jar.
>
> Even when someone, anyone, filks. Somebody, please point me to one, just
> ONE, amusing filk. Please.

Tilson's "JAFT!" wasn't that bad...

> Even when *** goes off meds. (I'd say Beetlejuice three times before I'd
> say that name once.)

=)

> Even when the "Jade: Male or Female?" debate cranks up again. Of
> course, Jade, I must admit it really is awkward, not knowing whether I'm
> secretly in love with you. So I'm afraid I'll have to insist we clear up
> the matter of your gender before our (secret...shhhhh) relationship can
> continue.
>
> I suppose the primary reason I lurk here almost daily is to appreciate
> the camaraderie and the (usually) intelligent give-and-take. And some
> people here are brilliantly witty...like this from Nesha recently: "Now,
> what the heck [midichlorians mean] in terms of the biology of our galaxy
> is pretty hard to say. This is why I think the midichlorians are a
> dreadful idea, and why Darth Gary, Ph.D spit his coke all over me the
> first time we went to see TPM." That's just one example. There's lots
> more, from lots of contributors.
>
> Also, every once in a while I pick up a bit of interesting trivia about
> the Star Wars series. And it's a decent way to bide my time until the
> next Star Wars installment appears. I like RASSM.

[cheers!]

> Bill "I Didn't Leave Out Anybody Important, Did I?" Anderson

Pol'

Celaeno

Feb 10, 2001, 6:43:40 PM2/10/01
You will not evade me, "Jostein Hakestad" <au...@online.no>:

>"jade" <jad...@my-deja.com> skrev i melding
>> SSSHHHH be Vewy quiet. I am hunting Luwkews.
>>
>> Since the cropping up of some fine specimens recently (Is this a ground
>> hog day thing? If a lurker sees a shadow on it's own post, will winter
>> continue for six months?) I am curious just how many of you there are.
>
>I'm Jostein and I've been lurking for fifteen minutes now.
>
>I hunt polar bears for a living.

Don't you know we're supposed to be hunting wolves, in between
clubbing baby seals?

Rakelle
(half a dozen wolves in the country, and the farmers in the eastern
part manage to convince the government they're a threat. Sheesh)

Celaeno

Feb 10, 2001, 6:43:37 PM2/10/01
You will not evade me, =?iso-8859-1?Q?=AB=20=C7h=E8etah=21=20=BB?=
<Rabid...@NOSPAMmailandnews.com>:

>Celaeno wrote:
>
>>> Much love to you!
>>> Unice!
>>> Eat your garlic!
>
>> Should I be disturbed or pleased that even our lurkers are like this?
>

>..yes...

Thought so :)

Rakelle

melcha

Feb 10, 2001, 8:15:08 PM2/10/01
Whoa, I'm delurking twice in the same thread...surreal...

In article <MPG.14ef6dd7f...@news.rcn.com>,

billan...@my-deja.com wrote:

> 1) I know the original film wasn't titled "A New Hope" until 1981.
Don't
> believe it? Just dare me, and I'll bury you in evidence. And you
won't
> be able to offer any legitimate evidence to the contrary. So there,
take
> that, and nya nya!

I thought this was common knowledge.

> 2) I know the current ending of ROTJ cannot serve as a satisfactory
> ending for the 6-part saga that has begun with "Phantom Menace."
When
> "Star Wars" was just the story of Luke Skywalker, the end of ROTJ
worked
> almost well enough. But now that the whole thing has become the
story of
> Anakin Skywalker, the end doesn't work at all.

Is it really just me who's always thought this was more Anakin's story
than Luke's? Could it be that seeing ROTJ before the others affected my
perception of the Trilogy that profoundly?...Anyhoo, I've always found
the Vader/Anakin duality by far the more interesting character wossname
than anything to do with Luke.

<snip>

> Even when Paul Dug Duggy Duggan wastes everyone's time with his
posts.
> (His claim, not mine!) I figure it's because he's been standing
upside
> down so long, all his blood's run to his head. But his sig makes me
> laugh, so I'm always glad to see his name on a post. Can't decide
> whether I admire his sig more, or DarthGumby's "remove MyHelmet."

Gumby all the way, hon.

-Maaike

« Çhèetah! »

Feb 10, 2001, 9:34:46 PM2/10/01

Glad I could be of help..

What's disturbing is: the lurkers who *didn't* respond to this thread..
imagine what those skin-crawlers must be like... <spooky look>

Jostein Hakestad

Feb 11, 2001, 12:53:42 PM2/11/01

"Celaeno" <cel...@shavenwookie.nospam.com> skrev i melding

> Don't you know we're supposed to be hunting wolves, in between
> clubbing baby seals?

I hunt polar bears for a living, but killing baby seals is just a hobby.

--
Jostein H

Bill Anderson

Feb 11, 2001, 3:20:30 PM2/11/01
In article <L2ih6.11315$%g3.22...@news02.optonline.net>,
Hbl...@aol.com says...

You are technically correct, of course. My confidence, however, remains
unshaken.

Bill "Memory Wipes Are Not An Option" Anderson

Bill Anderson

Feb 11, 2001, 3:48:39 PM2/11/01

> It's pronounced 'Car-NEGY', or if you're being pukka, 'Car-NÉ-gee'... I've
> heard 'CAR-neg-ie', but I think only in American...

<The plebian Yank appears shamefaced but grateful.>

> Tilson's "JAFT!" wasn't that bad...

<The plebian Yank reconsiders his use of the phrase, "admirable
intellect.">

> That's one of the things *I* likeabout RASSM:

> there's normally someone to solve any obscure puzzle that crops
> up...

Indeed. Now, my last OT query for a while, I promise:

Please, oh please translate "Och aye the noo." Please. And maybe give
an example of its appropriate use? I can find the phrase all over the
'net, but nary a translation.

Bill "I Hope It's Not Obscene! Is It? Is It?" Anderson

Bill Anderson

Feb 11, 2001, 4:17:27 PM2/11/01
In article <964p2o$lj$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, moust...@purpleturtle.com
says...

> > 1) I know the original film wasn't titled "A New Hope" until 1981.
>

> I thought this was common knowledge.

If you had said, "Well, I knew that," then you would have appeared
clever, intelligent, and knowledgeable, among other things.

But when you admit that you thought this was common knowledge, then you
appear...well...Have you really been lurking long?

> Is it really just me who's always thought this was more Anakin's story
> than Luke's? Could it be that seeing ROTJ before the others affected my
> perception of the Trilogy that profoundly?...Anyhoo, I've always found
> the Vader/Anakin duality by far the more interesting character wossname
> than anything to do with Luke.

The Vader/Anakin duality is interesting, and I'm looking forward with
much anticipation to learning more. But when ROTJ ended, I admit I was a
little disappointed that my wonderful villain had been stolen away.
Darth Vader was just glorious in his badness. And the more I learn about
him -- the more I picture him as a towheaded stripling and later a
devoted husband or whatever he turns out to be -- the less I'll be able
to enjoy loathing and fearing him in Episodes IV through VI. It really
will be interesting to see how Lucas lets all this play out.

> > Can't decide
> > whether I admire his sig more, or DarthGumby's "remove MyHelmet."
>
> Gumby all the way, hon.
>
> -Maaike

Well, I'm glad Maaike likes it. Still, you've got to admit that "I
didn't do it; Nobody saw me do it; You can't prove anything" is both an
amusing and a familiar litany.

Bill "But It Never Worked For Me" Anderson

Policrat'

Feb 11, 2001, 9:06:41 PM2/11/01
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Bill Anderson:

>> It's pronounced 'Car-NEGY', or if you're being pukka, 'Car-NÉ-gee'... I've

>> heard 'CAR-neg-ie', but I think only in American...
>
> <The plebian Yank appears shamefaced but grateful.>

I could still be wrong...

>> Tilson's "JAFT!" wasn't that bad...
>
> <The plebian Yank reconsiders his use of the phrase, "admirable
> intellect.">

Doesn't say anything about the quality of my sense of humour =)

>> That's one of the things *I* likeabout RASSM:
>> there's normally someone to solve any obscure puzzle that crops
>> up...
>
> Indeed. Now, my last OT query for a while, I promise:
>
> Please, oh please translate "Och aye the noo." Please. And maybe give
> an example of its appropriate use? I can find the phrase all over the
> 'net, but nary a translation.

It's cod-Scots, popularised, I think, by the music hall artist Sir Harry
Lauder in the first half of the C20th...

It simply means "Oh yes, now?" as a question/sign of scepticism/play for
time, but has been so misused that most people (including Scots) think it's
a meaningless exclamation... in either case, you'd rarely find a real Scot
saying it...

> Bill "I Hope It's Not Obscene! Is It? Is It?" Anderson

Pol'

Bill Anderson

Feb 11, 2001, 9:43:27 PM2/11/01
In article <B6ACF5B0.55B5%policr...@hotmail.com>,
policr...@hotmail.com says...

> Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Bill Anderson:
>
> >> It's pronounced 'Car-NEGY', or if you're being pukka, 'Car-NÉ-gee'... I've
> >> heard 'CAR-neg-ie', but I think only in American...
> >
> > <The plebian Yank appears shamefaced but grateful.>
>
> I could still be wrong...

Can you tell me how to get to Car-NEGY Hall?
Prac-TICE, Prac-TICE, Prac-TICE.

Bill "Who Is Trying To Figure Out Just Where To Jump Into The
Battledroids Thread So He Can Disagree With You About The Added Scene On
Alderaan" Anderson (whew!)

Gumby's .sig

Feb 12, 2001, 1:25:16 AM2/12/01
On Sun, 11 Feb 2001 01:15:08 GMT, melcha
<moust...@purpleturtle.com> telepathically
conveyed to me:

>> Even when Paul Dug Duggy Duggan wastes everyone's time with his
>posts.
>> (His claim, not mine!) I figure it's because he's been standing
>upside
>> down so long, all his blood's run to his head. But his sig makes me
>> laugh, so I'm always glad to see his name on a post. Can't decide
>> whether I admire his sig more, or DarthGumby's "remove MyHelmet."
>
>Gumby all the way, hon.
>
>-Maaike

*.sig waves to it's fans*

Policrat'

Feb 12, 2001, 5:39:08 AM2/12/01
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Bill Anderson:

> In article <B6ACF5B0.55B5%policr...@hotmail.com>,
> policr...@hotmail.com says...
>> Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Bill Anderson:

>>> <The plebian Yank appears shamefaced but grateful.>
>>
>> I could still be wrong...
>>

> Can you tell me how to get to Car-NEGY Hall?
> Prac-TICE, Prac-TICE, Prac-TICE.

Y'see, the scansion demands it...

> Bill "Who Is Trying To Figure Out Just Where To Jump Into The
> Battledroids Thread So He Can Disagree With You About The Added Scene On
> Alderaan" Anderson (whew!)

Feel free... dive right it!-)

Pol'

Policrat'

Feb 12, 2001, 5:44:31 AM2/12/01
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Gumby's .sig:

First came the Cult of Wedge... now it's the Cult of Gumby's .sig. Anyone
else up for establishing alt.fan.gumby's_.sig?-)

Pol'

NeshaKovalick

Feb 13, 2001, 4:51:35 AM2/13/01
Bill Anderson wrote:

<snipping>

> I really, really, really do try...
>
> Even when Policrat amazes me once again that someone with his admirable
> intellect stoops to respond to some of the idiocies that appear (yes,
> even in RASSM) once in a while. But since he does, here's an OT idiocy
> of my own: Poli, how do your countrymen pronounce "Carnegie?" I've
> always said, "CAR-neg-ie." But the good folks at National Public Radio
> regularly give credit to the "Andrew Car-NAY-gie Foundation." And all
> I'm concerned about, here, is the accented syllable; don't even start

Y'know, I always heard it pronounced "CAR-negie", and then I moved to
Pittsburgh, where Carnegie let loose with some of his ill-gotten gains
and therefore has his name plastered all over the city. He's got the
library and the art museum and the natural history museum, and an actual
part of the city named after him...and it's pronounced Car-NAY-gie in
Pittsburgh.

> with me on the "r."

<more snipping>

> Even when Nesha Kovalick (with whom I am secretly in love...shhhhh....and
> who is NOT a senile moron) gets confused about the era when VCRs began
> appearing in homes. The "Betamax" was introduced to the market in 1975.
> By 1977 the machines were dropping in price and expanding in tape
> capacity, and they were beginning to show up all over. I bought my very
> own personal VCR in 1979; too late for the Holiday Special, though.
> Sorry. On the other hand, one of the first things I did was transfer a
> Sony U-matic 3/4" tape copy of a certain film over to VHS. And yes, one
> of the primary motivating factors for purchasing that VCR was to acquire
> my own copy of that certain film. (No, I'm not talking about "Deep
> Throat," though actually...) I was pretty confident when I made the
> decision to spend $1,200 on a VHS rather than a Betamax machine -- I just
> KNEW Betamax wasn't going to last. Prescient, no?

Very clever of you, indeed! But I wasn't denying that they might in
fact have existed then, only that I can't remember seeing any so early.
Of course, we were grad students and were lucky to be buying groceries
at that time... I can well believe that they were becoming more
affordable in '79; I know my own parents, who have my same suspicious
attitude towards buying anything when first on the market, did buy a VCR
somewhere around '81.

And there is a great, great difference between wanting a copy of Star
Wars, and wanting to tape the SW Holiday Special.

> Also, every once in a while I pick up a bit of interesting trivia about
> the Star Wars series. And it's a decent way to bide my time until the
> next Star Wars installment appears. I like RASSM.

And we like you. And just think...this time next year, it will ALMOST be
time for Episode II!

> Bill "I Didn't Leave Out Anybody Important, Did I?" Anderson
> --
> I hate a dirty joke, I do,
> Unless it's told by someone who,
> Knows how to tell it.
> -- Capt. Geoffrey Spaulding
> (The Captain is a Very Moral Man.)

Nesha "Way Behind on Everything This Week"

DarthGumby

Feb 13, 2001, 3:54:19 PM2/13/01
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:51:35 +0000, NeshaKovalick
<Neshas...@cboss.com> telepathically conveyed
to me:

>Bill Anderson wrote:

>> Even when Nesha Kovalick (with whom I am secretly in love...shhhhh....and
>> who is NOT a senile moron) gets confused about the era when VCRs began
>> appearing in homes. The "Betamax" was introduced to the market in 1975.
>> By 1977 the machines were dropping in price and expanding in tape
>> capacity, and they were beginning to show up all over. I bought my very
>> own personal VCR in 1979; too late for the Holiday Special, though.
>> Sorry. On the other hand, one of the first things I did was transfer a
>> Sony U-matic 3/4" tape copy of a certain film over to VHS. And yes, one
>> of the primary motivating factors for purchasing that VCR was to acquire
>> my own copy of that certain film. (No, I'm not talking about "Deep
>> Throat," though actually...) I was pretty confident when I made the
>> decision to spend $1,200 on a VHS rather than a Betamax machine -- I just
>> KNEW Betamax wasn't going to last. Prescient, no?
>
> Very clever of you, indeed! But I wasn't denying that they might in
>fact have existed then, only that I can't remember seeing any so early.
>Of course, we were grad students and were lucky to be buying groceries
>at that time... I can well believe that they were becoming more
>affordable in '79; I know my own parents, who have my same suspicious
>attitude towards buying anything when first on the market, did buy a VCR
>somewhere around '81.
>
> And there is a great, great difference between wanting a copy of Star
>Wars, and wanting to tape the SW Holiday Special.

I guess this might be a good time to mention that
back in '84 (before we had a vcr) I put my audio
tape recorder up against the tv and taped Star
Wars off channel 2.

I still have the tapes, complete with my mom
walking in and having a conversation with me about
what we were doing on the weekend, me having a
sneezing fit and our dog barking.

Maybe it wasn't a good time to mention it.

Hey, at least I don't play the tapes for dates.

The more I think of it, that may have been the
reason we got a vcr... I must have looked truly
pathetic.

DarthGumby
remove MyHelmet to e-mail me.
I want to look upon your e-mail... with my own eyes... *wheeze*

--Anywhere my computer hangs is home

CMCJLC

Feb 13, 2001, 4:36:28 PM2/13/01
Hey - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who used to do that! Of course it
was my Dad yelling at my little sister and me whining for them to be quiet in
the background of my recording. Typical night at my house as a kid. Ahhh,
memories.

-Cindy

DarthGumby

Feb 13, 2001, 5:12:23 PM2/13/01
On 13 Feb 2001 21:36:28 GMT, cmc...@aol.com
(CMCJLC) telepathically conveyed to me:

>Hey - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who used to do that! Of course it
>was my Dad yelling at my little sister and me whining for them to be quiet in
>the background of my recording. Typical night at my house as a kid. Ahhh,
>memories.
>
>-Cindy

LOL! Oh yeah, I did that with SW, Xanadu, a George
Carlin special and... a wrestling match, among
other things. o_O

Now I hook the vcr to the radio to tape things
when I'm not home.

Someday I'll figure out the proper use for
everything.

Bill Anderson

Feb 13, 2001, 5:47:57 PM2/13/01
In article <5e7j8t0vpr66mo6a2...@4ax.com>,
DarthMyHe...@hotmail.com says...

> The more I think of it, that may have been the
> reason we got a vcr... I must have looked truly
> pathetic.

You call THAT pathetic? I taped "The River of No Return" and listened to
it again and again, imagining Marilyn in (and not in) the buckskins. And
that green dancehall outfit. (Or was it gray, since I'd taped the audio
off a B&W TV?)

Of course I also have a tape of Apollo 11 news broadcasts from launch to
splashdown. Got ol' Walter cheering, right after "Tranquility Base here;
the Eagle has landed." Sure wish I still had a reel-to-reel tape
recorder.

But my real reason for responding is to caution you not to let anything
happen to your "Star Wars" tape. The Star Wars stuff is beside the
point. Someday the sound of your mother and the dog will be priceless --
if it isn't already.

Bill "Assuming You Feel Warmly Toward Mom and Rover" Anderson

Policrat'

Feb 13, 2001, 9:36:31 PM2/13/01
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark DarthGumby:

Don't worry... Tim Zahn did exactly the same thing. Or are you Tim Zahn?-)

> DarthGumby
> remove MyHelmet to e-mail me.
> I want to look upon your e-mail... with my own eyes... *wheeze*
>
> --Anywhere my computer hangs is home

The .sig is starting to look suggestive...

Pol'

DarthGumby

Feb 14, 2001, 2:03:28 AM2/14/01
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:47:57 -0500, Bill Anderson
<billan...@my-deja.com> telepathically conveyed
to me:

>In article <5e7j8t0vpr66mo6a2...@4ax.com>,
>DarthMyHe...@hotmail.com says...
>> The more I think of it, that may have been the
>> reason we got a vcr... I must have looked truly
>> pathetic.
>>

>You call THAT pathetic? I taped "The River of No Return" and listened to
>it again and again, imagining Marilyn in (and not in) the buckskins. And
>that green dancehall outfit. (Or was it gray, since I'd taped the audio
>off a B&W TV?)

LOL! We once aimed the Super 8 camera at the tv to
catch the beginning of Return of the Saint too...
Loved that stick figure.

>Of course I also have a tape of Apollo 11 news broadcasts from launch to
>splashdown. Got ol' Walter cheering, right after "Tranquility Base here;
>the Eagle has landed." Sure wish I still had a reel-to-reel tape
>recorder.

*winces* Yeah, my family had a ton of reel-to-reel
tapes, and the recorder but had to sell it before
they moved one time. :P

>But my real reason for responding is to caution you not to let anything
>happen to your "Star Wars" tape. The Star Wars stuff is beside the
>point. Someday the sound of your mother and the dog will be priceless --
>if it isn't already.

You kidding? Why else do you think I made three
backups? :)

>Bill "Assuming You Feel Warmly Toward Mom and Rover" Anderson

"Mum" and "Pookie". *ahem* :)

DarthGumby

Feb 14, 2001, 2:07:24 AM2/14/01
On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 02:36:31 +0000, Policrat'
<policr...@hotmail.com> telepathically conveyed
to me:

(Which one of my Aunt's boyfriends did with an LP
version of the Wizard of Oz, incidentally.)

>> The more I think of it, that may have been the
>> reason we got a vcr... I must have looked truly
>> pathetic.
>
>Don't worry... Tim Zahn did exactly the same thing.

Hey yeah? COOL!

>Or are you Tim Zahn?-)

*matches up face with Talon Karrde card* Nope.

>> DarthGumby
>> remove MyHelmet to e-mail me.
>> I want to look upon your e-mail... with my own eyes... *wheeze*
>>
>> --Anywhere my computer hangs is home
>
>The .sig is starting to look suggestive...
>
>Pol'

Gosh!

DarthGumby
remove MyHelmet to e-mail me. Remove yours too.

I want to look upon your e-mail... with my own

eyes... *pant*

--Anywhere my computer sits happily on the desk is
home

Policrat'

Feb 14, 2001, 9:08:49 AM2/14/01

Ech!

>>> The more I think of it, that may have been the
>>> reason we got a vcr... I must have looked truly
>>> pathetic.
>>
>> Don't worry... Tim Zahn did exactly the same thing.
>
> Hey yeah? COOL!

His excuse was it kept the kids occupied on long car journeys, but IIRC, he
ended up putting it on just for himself... it's also the reason, btw, why
his 'voice' characterisation of the characters is so spot-on...

>> Or are you Tim Zahn?-)
>
> *matches up face with Talon Karrde card* Nope.

=)

>>> DarthGumby
>>> remove MyHelmet to e-mail me.
>>> I want to look upon your e-mail... with my own eyes... *wheeze*
>>>
>>> --Anywhere my computer hangs is home
>>
>> The .sig is starting to look suggestive...
>>
>> Pol'
>
> Gosh!

Not *that* sort of 'suggestive'...

> DarthGumby
> remove MyHelmet to e-mail me. Remove yours too.
> I want to look upon your e-mail... with my own
> eyes... *pant*
>
> --Anywhere my computer sits happily on the desk is
> home

The inimitable .sig!

Pol'

CMCJLC

Feb 14, 2001, 8:07:28 PM2/14/01
>>Hey - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who used to do that! Of course
>it
>>was my Dad yelling at my little sister and me whining for them to be quiet
>in
>>the background of my recording. Typical night at my house as a kid. Ahhh,
>>memories.
>>
>>-Cindy
>
>LOL! Oh yeah, I did that with SW, Xanadu, a George
>Carlin special and... a wrestling match, among
>other things. o_O
>
>Now I hook the vcr to the radio to tape things
>when I'm not home.
>
>Someday I'll figure out the proper use for
>everything.
>
>DarthGumby
>remove MyHelmet to e-mail me.
>I want to look upon your e-mail... with my own eyes... *wheeze*
>
>--Anywhere my computer hangs is home

Xanadu, huh? For me it was Frosty the Snowman, Gilligan's Island and Star
Blazers (the old Japanese cartoon). But that was when I was really young. I'm
much more normal now. :-)

-Cindy

DarthGumby

Feb 14, 2001, 9:22:58 PM2/14/01
On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:08:49 +0000, Policrat'

<policr...@hotmail.com> telepathically conveyed
to me:

>>> Don't worry... Tim Zahn did exactly the same thing.
>>
>> Hey yeah? COOL!
>
>His excuse was it kept the kids occupied on long car journeys, but IIRC, he
>ended up putting it on just for himself... it's also the reason, btw, why
>his 'voice' characterisation of the characters is so spot-on...

I tried to make an "audiobook" of Medicine Man for
my grandmother, but the majority of it was music.
I thought about narrating, but me yelling "here
comes the bulldozer! AAAA! Flames!" just ruined
the effect.

>Pol'

DarthGumby

Feb 14, 2001, 10:10:48 PM2/14/01
On 15 Feb 2001 01:07:28 GMT, cmc...@aol.com

(CMCJLC) telepathically conveyed to me:

>>>Hey - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who used to do that! Of course

>>it
>>>was my Dad yelling at my little sister and me whining for them to be quiet
>>in
>>>the background of my recording. Typical night at my house as a kid. Ahhh,
>>>memories.
>>>
>>>-Cindy
>>
>>LOL! Oh yeah, I did that with SW, Xanadu, a George
>>Carlin special and... a wrestling match, among
>>other things. o_O
>>
>>Now I hook the vcr to the radio to tape things
>>when I'm not home.
>>
>>Someday I'll figure out the proper use for
>>everything.
>>

>Xanadu, huh?

I really like Gene Kelly. And ONJ. :)

>For me it was Frosty the Snowman, Gilligan's Island and Star
>Blazers (the old Japanese cartoon). But that was when I was really young. I'm
>much more normal now. :-)

What do you tape now? ;)

>-Cindy

CMCJLC

Feb 15, 2001, 4:24:38 PM2/15/01

>From: DarthGumby DarthMyHe...@hotmail.com
>Date: 2/14/01 7:10 PM Pacific Standard Time
Not much of anything anymore. Life sure changes when you have a baby crawling
all around the house and getting into everything. No time for anything! Come
to think of it, the only thing I tape now is her doing stuff that I will be
able to use as blackmail when she's older (he he he). She brings a new
boyfriend over? Bring out the old videotapes! :-D

-Cindy

Jade

Feb 16, 2001, 12:01:32 PM2/16/01

"DarthGumby" <DarthMyHe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:08:49 +0000, Policrat'
> <policr...@hotmail.com> telepathically conveyed
> to me:

> >> Hey yeah? COOL!
> >
> >His excuse was it kept the kids occupied on long car journeys, but IIRC,
he
> >ended up putting it on just for himself... it's also the reason, btw, why
> >his 'voice' characterisation of the characters is so spot-on...
>
> I tried to make an "audiobook" of Medicine Man for
> my grandmother, but the majority of it was music.
> I thought about narrating, but me yelling "here
> comes the bulldozer! AAAA! Flames!" just ruined
> the effect.

I want you all to know that this USED to be a good thread. It had a real
purpose and people used to come from miles around just to see it strut it's
stuff. Now look at it...*sigh*

Jade the freedom fighter.
--
Democracy rules! - From the New York institute of obvious statements.

Ron Ostrander

Feb 16, 2001, 7:22:13 PM2/16/01

> I want you all to know that this USED to be a good thread. It had a real
> purpose and people used to come from miles around just to see it strut
it's
> stuff. Now look at it...*sigh*

Hey, your thread dug three or four lurkers out of the RASSM background and
lasted for a good long time. Don't mourn its present sorry state; look back
on its accomplishments with pride. Remember the good times. Drink a beer to
celebrate it. Then move on.

And no, my feelings weren't hurt when nobody responded to my previous post
in this thread. Nobody...not even one person...*sniffle*
--
Ron Ostrander
ron...@mindspring.com
http://ronroy.home.mindspring.com

DarthGumby

Feb 16, 2001, 11:44:35 PM2/16/01
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 13:30:18 -0500, "Ron Ostrander"
<ron...@mindspring.com> telepathically conveyed to
me:

>"Jill Marie Fritsche" <jill-...@att.net> wrote in message
>> Jade, *that's* why they're called lurkers......they never/rarely
>> post. And if they did, would they reply to you?! ;-)
>
>Because we have nothing better to do..?
>
>Well, I'm Ron...I've been around, on and off, since late 1992-early 1993
>when I was a freshman in college, Usenet was fresh and new to me, and RASS*
>was simply RASS. I was an infrequent contributor back in the day--my claim
>to fame is writing the Dark Empire Summary, which was intended to help those
>reading the Jedi Academy trilogy figure out the references to the Emperor
>being a clone, Luke turning to the Dark Side, and good stuff like that. (And
>this summary still exists out there somewhere on the web, I don't really
>know where but if you plug my name into Google or Yahoo you'll probably find
>it.)
>
>I dropped out of school in '95 and kinda lost track of things here, but got
>back into it again in '99 after finally buying a computer. I haven't posted
>much since then because, well, I haven't had a whole lot to say that was all
>that worthwhile. I still hang out for the odd bits of trivia that float by,
>but since I haven't been part of the "community" for so long per se I've
>pretty much stayed out of it.
>
>If I have something amazingly funny or insightful to say, you'll hear it
>from me first...

HI RON! *waves*

Did that redeem the thread?

DarthGumby

Feb 16, 2001, 11:47:33 PM2/16/01
On 15 Feb 2001 21:24:38 GMT, cmc...@aol.com

>Not much of anything anymore. Life sure changes when you have a baby crawling

>all around the house and getting into everything. No time for anything! Come
>to think of it, the only thing I tape now is her doing stuff that I will be
>able to use as blackmail when she's older (he he he). She brings a new
>boyfriend over? Bring out the old videotapes! :-D
>
>-Cindy

Oh yeah, I have a blackmail tape of my youngest
cousin... heh. And my mom has one of me. *wince*

Ron Ostrander

Feb 17, 2001, 8:30:12 AM2/17/01

> >If I have something amazingly funny or insightful to say, you'll hear it
> >from me first...
>

> HI RON! *waves*
>
> Did that redeem the thread?

Well, it made me feel better, I don't know about the thread though...

Jade

Feb 20, 2001, 3:43:33 PM2/20/01

"Ron Ostrander" <ron...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> "DarthGumby" <DarthMyHe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >If I have something amazingly funny or insightful to say, you'll hear
it
> > >from me first...
> >

> > HI RON! *waves*
> >
> > Did that redeem the thread?
>
> Well, it made me feel better, I don't know about the thread though...
> --

Thanks Gumby! Yes Ron that's what the spirit of this thread is all about,
making people feel good. Just rub it against your leg once and you'll see
what I mean.

Jade the vicious minnow
--
Carpe Diablo!

Ron Ostrander

Feb 20, 2001, 10:50:54 PM2/20/01

> Thanks Gumby! Yes Ron that's what the spirit of this thread is all about,
> making people feel good. Just rub it against your leg once and you'll see
> what I mean.

Yes, it felt good...but why did it cause that funny rash?

(BTW...we're not helping the thread here...)