A nasty thought (Bali)

Nancy Lebovitz

Oct 16, 2002, 12:17:40 PM10/16/02
While I don't think terrorism has much to do with poverty--consider the
Japanese subway gas attack, consider Timothy McVeigh, consider Osama
bin Laden--a lot of people keep saying that it does, and the night
club bombing will do a lot to impovrish Bali.

--
Nancy Lebovitz na...@netaxs.com www.nancybuttons.com 100 new slogans

I want to move to theory. Everything works in theory.

Julia Jones

Oct 16, 2002, 12:58:48 PM10/16/02
In message <Eigr9.692$vZ6.5...@newshog.newsread.com>, Nancy Lebovitz
<na...@unix1.netaxs.com> writes

>While I don't think terrorism has much to do with poverty--consider the
>Japanese subway gas attack, consider Timothy McVeigh, consider Osama
>bin Laden--a lot of people keep saying that it does, and the night
>club bombing will do a lot to impovrish Bali.

Terrorism does have a great deal to do with poverty - solos, members of
small groups, and the top people in an organisation are often well-off,
but for some aims they need cannon fodder, numbers or at least passive
support from much of the population, and it's much easier to recruit
people who are desperate. The deliberate destruction of job
opportunities in the tourism industry is a tactic that is being used by
Moslem extremists in Egypt, and has been for some years. There it's a
primary aim of much of the terrorism aimed at tourists - to drive the
tourists, and their money, away. I had assumed that it was a secondary
consideration in the Bali bombing - it may even be the primary
consideration as far as the local terrorists are concerned.
--
Julia Jones
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California; do not send

Pete McCutchen

Oct 16, 2002, 1:10:42 PM10/16/02
On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:17:40 GMT, na...@unix1.netaxs.com (Nancy
Lebovitz) wrote:

>While I don't think terrorism has much to do with poverty--consider the
>Japanese subway gas attack, consider Timothy McVeigh, consider Osama
>bin Laden--a lot of people keep saying that it does, and the night
>club bombing will do a lot to impovrish Bali.

From the standpoint of the terrorists, I think that's a feature, not a
bug.
--

Pete McCutchen

Robert Shaw

Oct 16, 2002, 6:23:53 PM10/16/02
Nancy Lebovitz wrote:
> While I don't think terrorism has much to do with poverty--consider
> the Japanese subway gas attack, consider Timothy McVeigh, consider
> Osama bin Laden--a lot of people keep saying that it does, and the
> night club bombing will do a lot to impovrish Bali.

Most Balinese aren't moslem; they still follow the island's native
religion.
Any terrorist group based there would most likely be anti-islamic.

That may also be why Osama picked Bali. he would see it as striking
a blow at two sets of infidels.

--
'It is a wise crow that knows which way the camel points' - Pratchett
Robert Shaw

Priscilla H Ballou

Oct 17, 2002, 3:38:07 PM10/17/02
Robert Shaw <Rob...@shavian.fsnet.co.uk> quoth:

>Nancy Lebovitz wrote:
>> While I don't think terrorism has much to do with poverty--consider
>> the Japanese subway gas attack, consider Timothy McVeigh, consider
>> Osama bin Laden--a lot of people keep saying that it does, and the
>> night club bombing will do a lot to impovrish Bali.

>Most Balinese aren't moslem; they still follow the island's native
>religion.
>Any terrorist group based there would most likely be anti-islamic.

>That may also be why Osama picked Bali. he would see it as striking
>a blow at two sets of infidels.

Is there any evidence that Al Queda had anything to do with the Bali
attack? I seem to have been out of reach of news lately, so I don't know
if the information's just coming from D.C. and is thus highly suspect.

Priscilla
--
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
- Albert Einstein

Doug Wickstrom

Oct 17, 2002, 4:09:20 PM10/17/02
On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:23:53 +0100, in message
<aolnas$dk8$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>
"Robert Shaw" <Rob...@shavian.fsnet.co.uk> excited the ether to
say:

>Most Balinese aren't moslem; they still follow the island's native
>religion.

Hindu, mainly.

--
Doug Wickstrom <nims...@attbi.com>

"I have nothing else to say. We - we did - if - the - I - I - the stories
are just as they have been said." --Bill Clinton

David Bilek

Oct 17, 2002, 4:36:54 PM10/17/02
Doug Wickstrom <nims...@attbi.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:23:53 +0100, in message
><aolnas$dk8$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>
> "Robert Shaw" <Rob...@shavian.fsnet.co.uk> excited the ether to
>say:
>
>>Most Balinese aren't moslem; they still follow the island's native
>>religion.
>
>Hindu, mainly.

The leader of Jamaah Islamiah said in an interview with the Australian
Broadcasting Company that he thinks American Intelligence was behind
the bombing and that it isn't possible Muslims could have done it.

Boy, what a shocker. I'm glad he opened my eyes.

-David

Marilee J. Layman

Oct 17, 2002, 8:08:46 PM10/17/02
On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:38:07 GMT, Priscilla H Ballou

>Robert Shaw <Rob...@shavian.fsnet.co.uk> quoth:
>>Nancy Lebovitz wrote:
>>> While I don't think terrorism has much to do with poverty--consider
>>> the Japanese subway gas attack, consider Timothy McVeigh, consider
>>> Osama bin Laden--a lot of people keep saying that it does, and the
>>> night club bombing will do a lot to impovrish Bali.
>
>>Most Balinese aren't moslem; they still follow the island's native
>>religion.
>>Any terrorist group based there would most likely be anti-islamic.
>
>>That may also be why Osama picked Bali. he would see it as striking
>>a blow at two sets of infidels.
>
>Is there any evidence that Al Queda had anything to do with the Bali
>attack? I seem to have been out of reach of news lately, so I don't know
>if the information's just coming from D.C. and is thus highly suspect.

The Australians think so, too.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Bali Sterling Beads at Wholesale

Captain Button

Oct 17, 2002, 9:17:02 PM10/17/02
In article <hn7uqukp5g18i4fl5...@4ax.com>,

Was there a phone tree to warn any Jews in Bali to stay away?

--
American Express says I'm deceased. Boo! Consider yourself haunted.
Captain Button - but...@io.com

Lee Ratner

Oct 18, 2002, 5:03:20 PM10/18/02
na...@unix1.netaxs.com (Nancy Lebovitz) wrote in message news:<Eigr9.692$vZ6.5...@newshog.newsread.com>...

> While I don't think terrorism has much to do with poverty--consider the
> Japanese subway gas attack, consider Timothy McVeigh, consider Osama
> bin Laden--a lot of people keep saying that it does, and the night
> club bombing will do a lot to impovrish Bali.

Some terrorism has to do with poverty, other forms do not. However,
the people who destroyed the club at Bali would not want their fair
city to earn money in such a sinful manner.

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 18, 2002, 5:13:07 PM10/18/02
In article <59117524.0210...@posting.google.com>,

Maybe. And maybe it's something altogether different.

Unless you know something we don't, in which case do get
in touch with Interpol, willya?

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com
http://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604

Oct 18, 2002, 6:32:53 PM10/18/02
czar...@aol.com (Lee Ratner) writes:

Thereby giving a mostly Hindu enclave in a Muslim country, but with a
secular government, a nice step down in income, and perhaps more
incentive to lean in the direction of Islam.

It also gives that secular government an excuse to curtail some
civil rights in order to "fight international terrorism", and of
course maintain that government's hold on power.

And, of course, petroleum is a major export.

73, doug