$19 K For Pre-School Tuition?

David V. Loewe, Jr

Mar 19, 2011, 8:10:24 PM3/19/11
http://www.washingtonpost.com/nyc-mom-sues-19000-a-year-preschool-says-it-promised-elite-prep-but-is-just-a-playroom/2011/03/14/ABrVhvV_story.html
--
"Senator, America has the best health care in the world, but people
still die from cancer and heart disease. The best isn't always
good enough, is it?"
Secretary of Defense designee Tony Bretano in Executive Orders

Philip Chee

Mar 20, 2011, 12:53:39 AM3/20/11
On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 19:10:24 -0500, David V. Loewe, Jr wrote:
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/nyc-mom-sues-19000-a-year-preschool-says-it-promised-elite-prep-but-is-just-a-playroom/2011/03/14/ABrVhvV_story.html

I notice that Dave isn't fazed by the concept of "pre-school tuition"
just at the exorbitant price.

Phil

--
Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my>, <phili...@gmail.com>

David Loewe, Jr.

Mar 20, 2011, 9:42:58 AM3/20/11
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:53:39 +0800, Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my>
wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 19:10:24 -0500, David V. Loewe, Jr wrote:

>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/nyc-mom-sues-19000-a-year-preschool-says-it-promised-elite-prep-but-is-just-a-playroom/2011/03/14/ABrVhvV_story.html
>
>I notice that Dave isn't fazed by the concept of "pre-school tuition"
>just at the exorbitant price.

This is America I'm posting from. You have to pay for day care here
(which is called "tuition"). But I don't think Harvard cost $19 K a
year back when I was applying to colleges.
--
"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!"
William Shakespeare

Keith F. Lynch

Mar 20, 2011, 1:14:59 PM3/20/11
Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my> wrote:
> I notice that Dave isn't fazed by the concept of "pre-school
> tuition" just at the exorbitant price.

Babysitters in your country work for free?
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Cryptoengineer

Mar 20, 2011, 3:06:38 PM3/20/11
On Mar 20, 1:14 pm, "Keith F. Lynch" <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
> Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my> wrote:
> > I notice that Dave isn't fazed by the concept of "pre-school
> > tuition" just at the exorbitant price.
>
> Babysitters in your country work for free?

Phil's from Singapore, where the government is undertaking major
efforts to get women to have more babies. I wouldn't be surprised the
programs included free or heavily subsidized daycare and preschools.

That's not to say that it's all free; Chiltern House, for example, is
nearly $10,000 SGD/year; about USD $7800.

pt

Andy Leighton

Mar 20, 2011, 4:15:05 PM3/20/11
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:06:38 -0700 (PDT),
Cryptoengineer <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 20, 1:14 pm, "Keith F. Lynch" <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>> Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my> wrote:
>> > I notice that Dave isn't fazed by the concept of "pre-school
>> > tuition" just at the exorbitant price.
>>
>> Babysitters in your country work for free?
>
> Phil's from Singapore, where the government is undertaking major
> efforts to get women to have more babies. I wouldn't be surprised the
> programs included free or heavily subsidized daycare and preschools.

It is more that I (and I presume Philip) wouldn't call babysitters and
pre-school care such as nurseries, play-groups and child-minders
"tuition".

--
Andy Leighton => an...@azaal.plus.com
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

David V. Loewe, Jr

Mar 20, 2011, 4:51:55 PM3/20/11
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:15:05 -0500, Andy Leighton <an...@azaal.plus.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:06:38 -0700 (PDT),
> Cryptoengineer <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Babysitters in your country work for free?
>>
>> Phil's from Singapore, where the government is undertaking major
>> efforts to get women to have more babies. I wouldn't be surprised the
>> programs included free or heavily subsidized daycare and preschools.
>
>It is more that I (and I presume Philip) wouldn't call babysitters and
>pre-school care such as nurseries, play-groups and child-minders
>"tuition".

What DO you call it then?
--
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I
want to be controlling it."

Andy Leighton

Mar 20, 2011, 5:35:24 PM3/20/11
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:51:55 -0500,
David V. Loewe, Jr <dave...@charter.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:15:05 -0500, Andy Leighton <an...@azaal.plus.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:06:38 -0700 (PDT),
>> Cryptoengineer <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Phil's from Singapore, where the government is undertaking major
>>> efforts to get women to have more babies. I wouldn't be surprised the
>>> programs included free or heavily subsidized daycare and preschools.
>>
>>It is more that I (and I presume Philip) wouldn't call babysitters and
>>pre-school care such as nurseries, play-groups and child-minders
>>"tuition".
>
> What DO you call it then?

I don't tend to have a need to call it anything as I have no children.
However my sister does, as does my brother. I don't think they had an
umbrella term for it either. If forced I would just say pre-school
care.

Keith F. Lynch

Mar 20, 2011, 6:17:39 PM3/20/11
Andy Leighton <an...@azaal.plus.com> wrote:
> Cryptoengineer <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Phil's from Singapore, ...

He posts from Malaysia.

> It is more that I (and I presume Philip) wouldn't call babysitters
> and pre-school care such as nurseries, play-groups and child-minders
> "tuition".

I'm not sure what to call it. I had thought Phil was surprised at the
idea of paying, not by what the payment was called. I could be wrong.

David Loewe, Jr.

Mar 20, 2011, 8:08:19 PM3/20/11
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 16:35:24 -0500, Andy Leighton <an...@azaal.plus.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:51:55 -0500,
> David V. Loewe, Jr <dave...@charter.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:15:05 -0500, Andy Leighton <an...@azaal.plus.com>
>> wrote:

>>>It is more that I (and I presume Philip) wouldn't call babysitters and
>>>pre-school care such as nurseries, play-groups and child-minders
>>>"tuition".
>>
>> What DO you call it then?
>
>I don't tend to have a need to call it anything as I have no children.
>However my sister does, as does my brother. I don't think they had an
>umbrella term for it either. If forced I would just say pre-school
>care.

Not the care, the money they spend on it.
--
"Novak's First Rule (more formally known as 'Novak's First General
Rule') is that people are stupid."

Cryptoengineer

Mar 20, 2011, 8:16:51 PM3/20/11
On Mar 20, 6:17 pm, "Keith F. Lynch" <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
> Andy Leighton <an...@azaal.plus.com> wrote:
> > Cryptoengineer <petert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Phil's from Singapore, ...
>
> He posts from Malaysia.

I sit corrected. The most recent address I can find is in Ipoh, but
that may be out of date. He's mentioned SG a number of times, and for
some reason that stuck.

> > It is more that I (and I presume Philip) wouldn't call babysitters
> > and pre-school care such as nurseries, play-groups and child-minders
> > "tuition".
>
> I'm not sure what to call it.  I had thought Phil was surprised at the
> idea of paying, not by what the payment was called.  I could be wrong.

That was my impression too. Malaysia has has government funded
preschools for quite a long time. [1]

[1] http://www.scribd.com/doc/22301974/Malaysian-Preschool-Education

pt

David V. Loewe, Jr

Mar 20, 2011, 8:32:43 PM3/20/11

Having read PJ O'Rourke's Parliament Of Whores, I'm amazed that the
government would fund that.

"Pony up for the neighbor lady's day care, Grandma, or we'll shoot!"
--
"Doctor, Doctor, help me please, I know you'll understand
There's a time device inside of me, I'm a self-destructin' man."

Cryptoengineer

Mar 20, 2011, 9:02:34 PM3/20/11
On Mar 20, 8:32 pm, "David V. Loewe, Jr" <davelo...@charter.net>
wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:16:51 -0700 (PDT), Cryptoengineer
>

> <petert...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> He posts from Malaysia.
>
> >I sit corrected. The most recent address I can find is in Ipoh, but
> >that may be out of date. He's mentioned SG a number of times, and for
> >some reason that stuck.

> >> I'm not sure what to call it.  I had thought Phil was surprised at the
> >> idea of paying, not by what the payment was called.  I could be wrong.
>
> >That was my impression too. Malaysia has has government funded
> >preschools for quite a long time. [1]
>
> >[1]http://www.scribd.com/doc/22301974/Malaysian-Preschool-Education
>
> Having read PJ O'Rourke's Parliament Of Whores, I'm amazed that the
> government would fund that.
>
> "Pony up for the neighbor lady's day care, Grandma, or we'll shoot!"

O'Rourke was describing US politicians. Welfare states have their own
problems, but sometimes, they actually do deliver on the 'welfare'
side of it. Funding daycare actually makes a good deal of sense - it
frees women to work.

pt

David V. Loewe, Jr

Mar 20, 2011, 9:27:54 PM3/20/11

Not really. The "Parliament Of Whores" in the title turns out to be
"us" - as in "you and I" or the American Electorate.

The specific reference I'm using here is his explanation of the "Dead
Grannies" measure of judging whether or not spending is "necessary." If
you don't pay your taxes, they put you in jail/prison. If you try to
escape jail/prison, they shoot you. So, the measure asks, how many Dead
Grannies are you willing to put up with in order to have some budgeted
item. PJ, being a conservative (a rather odd and party-hardy one, but
still a conservative), opines that defense is fine - having to endure
several Dead Grannies in order to arm to hold off "the Godless Canadian
hordes" is a good thing. But he draws the line at paying for the
neighbor lady's babysitter.

--
"We are the Republican Party Reptiles. We look like Republicans, and
think like conservatives, but we drive a lot faster and keep vibrators

Philip Chee

Mar 21, 2011, 1:30:01 AM3/21/11
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:14:59 +0000 (UTC), Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my> wrote:
>> I notice that Dave isn't fazed by the concept of "pre-school
>> tuition" just at the exorbitant price.
>
> Babysitters in your country work for free?

"tuition" means something else here (implies classes with homework etc).

Dan Hoey

Mar 21, 2011, 4:44:24 PM3/21/11

I was impressed by the subtle wordplay:

"Some Manhattanites’ high expectations of preschool are the stuff of
urbane legend."

Dan

Cryptoengineer

Mar 21, 2011, 7:34:27 PM3/21/11
On Mar 21, 4:44 pm, Dan Hoey <haoy...@aol.com> wrote:
> On 3/19/11 8:10 PM, David V. Loewe, Jr wrote:
>
> >http://www.washingtonpost.com/nyc-mom-sues-19000-a-year-preschool-say...

> I was impressed by the subtle wordplay:
>
> "Some Manhattanites’ high expectations of preschool are the stuff of
> urbane legend."

Good catch.

But its true - there is a certain strata of hyper-parenting that sees
attending the 'right' preschool, elementary, high school, and
university as the only route to success, and a stumble in any one of
those steps jeopardizing the whole educational career.

pt

Robert Sneddon

Mar 21, 2011, 9:01:40 PM3/21/11
In message
<95e8f3b6-5a6d-4317...@i14g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
Cryptoengineer <pete...@gmail.com> writes

>But its true - there is a certain strata of hyper-parenting that sees
>attending the 'right' preschool, elementary, high school, and
>university as the only route to success, and a stumble in any one of
>those steps jeopardizing the whole educational career.

I recall passing the signs outside a series of schools in Hiroshima,
all "escalator" schools for the University there. Graduating from the
high school was a boost to your kid's chances of getting a place in the
University. The associated junior school fed the high school. The
elementary school next door was a good start if you wanted to get your
offspring into the "right" junior high school. Of course getting them
into the associated kindergarden school was the only way for them to
make it into the elementary school, and attending the daycare centre
next door was a leg up for the appropriate kindergarden.

I was sort-of expecting an escalator maternity hospital and maybe an
in-vitro fertilization clinic further along the road but no.
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

Cryptoengineer

Mar 21, 2011, 9:19:34 PM3/21/11
On Mar 21, 9:01 pm, Robert Sneddon <f...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <95e8f3b6-5a6d-4317-a0e8-e028bdc70...@i14g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
> Cryptoengineer <petert...@gmail.com> writes

> >But its true - there is a certain strata of hyper-parenting that sees
> >attending the 'right' preschool, elementary, high school, and
> >university as the only route to success, and a stumble in any one of
> >those steps jeopardizing the whole educational career.
>
>  I recall passing the signs outside a series of schools in Hiroshima,
> all "escalator" schools for the University there. Graduating from the
> high school was a boost to your kid's chances of getting a place in the
> University. The associated junior school fed the high school. The
> elementary school next door was a good start if you wanted to get your
> offspring into the "right" junior high school. Of course getting them
> into the associated kindergarden school was the only way for them to
> make it into the elementary school, and attending the daycare centre
> next door was a leg up for the appropriate kindergarden.
>
>  I was sort-of expecting an escalator maternity hospital and maybe an
> in-vitro fertilization clinic further along the road but no.

I'm far from an expert on the subject, but iirc, once you're in
university in Japan, the pressure eases a lot.

In the US hyperparenting model I described, the goal of placing a
child where he or she can develop the 'right' contacts in high school
and university is regarded as just about as important as actually
getting an education. I don't know if that's the case in Japan.

pt

Keith F. Lynch

Mar 21, 2011, 10:29:39 PM3/21/11
Robert Sneddon <fr...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Cryptoengineer <pete...@gmail.com> writes
>> But its true - there is a certain strata of hyper-parenting that
>> sees attending the 'right' preschool, elementary, high school, and
>> university as the only route to success, and a stumble in any one
>> of those steps jeopardizing the whole educational career.

> I recall passing the signs outside a series of schools in Hiroshima,
> all "escalator" schools for the University there. Graduating from
> the high school was a boost to your kid's chances of getting a
> place in the University. The associated junior school fed the high
> school. The elementary school next door was a good start if you
> wanted to get your offspring into the "right" junior high school.
> Of course getting them into the associated kindergarden school
> was the only way for them to make it into the elementary school,
> and attending the daycare centre next door was a leg up for the
> appropriate kindergarden.

Do Japanese schools have "zero-tolerance" rules like US schools?
I keep reading of straight-A students' futures getting completely
derailed by the most trivial of infractions. Children being expelled
or sent to reform schools for possessing a life-saving athsma inhaler
that was prescribed for them, or for having a harmless prop axe
because they're playing a fireman in a school play, or for unknowingly
having a plastic butter knife in the lunch their mother packed for
them. One student here in Fairfax County was even driven to suicide.

Paul Ciszek

Mar 23, 2011, 9:39:44 AM3/23/11

In article <gcqqRum0T$hNF...@nospam.demon.co.uk>,

Robert Sneddon <fr...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I recall passing the signs outside a series of schools in Hiroshima,
>all "escalator" schools for the University there. Graduating from the
>high school was a boost to your kid's chances of getting a place in the
>University. The associated junior school fed the high school. The
>elementary school next door was a good start if you wanted to get your
>offspring into the "right" junior high school. Of course getting them
>into the associated kindergarden school was the only way for them to
>make it into the elementary school, and attending the daycare centre
>next door was a leg up for the appropriate kindergarden.
>
> I was sort-of expecting an escalator maternity hospital and maybe an
>in-vitro fertilization clinic further along the road but no.

I remember reading an article about one of the high priced, high status
preschools in the US that had a thick folder of "pre-conception contracts".
Some of the pre-conception reservations were for years hence, fro women
who were still seeking the guy with which to conceive their ideal offspring,
in time to line up with an opening at the preschool.

--
Please reply to: | "The anti-regulation business ethos is based on
pciszek at panix dot com | the charmingly naive notion that people will not

Cryptoengineer

Mar 23, 2011, 11:02:15 AM3/23/11
On Mar 23, 9:39 am, nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
> In article <gcqqRum0T$hNF...@nospam.demon.co.uk>,
> Robert Sneddon  <f...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > I recall passing the signs outside a series of schools in Hiroshima,
> >all "escalator" schools for the University there. Graduating from the
> >high school was a boost to your kid's chances of getting a place in the
> >University. The associated junior school fed the high school. The
> >elementary school next door was a good start if you wanted to get your
> >offspring into the "right" junior high school. Of course getting them
> >into the associated kindergarden school was the only way for them to
> >make it into the elementary school, and attending the daycare centre
> >next door was a leg up for the appropriate kindergarden.
>
> > I was sort-of expecting an escalator maternity hospital and maybe an
> >in-vitro fertilization clinic further along the road but no.
>
> I remember reading an article about one of the high priced, high status
> preschools in the US that had a thick folder of "pre-conception contracts".
> Some of the pre-conception reservations were for years hence, fro women
> who were still seeking the guy with which to conceive their ideal offspring,
> in time to line up with an opening at the preschool.

There's an old story that in England aristocrats and social climbers
would register with Eton as soon as the wife became pregnant, and
cancel if the child was female.

pt

Joseph T Major

Mar 23, 2011, 6:20:16 PM3/23/11

"Robert Sneddon" <fr...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

This is Japan, where it used to be that once you got into the Right
University it was party time all the way, because you would inevitably
graduate (otherwise the test would have been wrong, and the test is never
wrong) and get a job with a company that would last you for the rest of your
life (the motto being "When my company is through with me I will gladly go
to my death."). Of course, the rising young sarariman also showed up
outside the company, sang the company song, did half-an-hour of martial arts
exercises, worked from 6 am until five minutes after the boss left, then
spent two hours with the other sararimen in the pachinko parlor, after which
sleep in the tube hotel, go on the weekends in the rapid train to the
country and back again.

Tell me, for this and its American equivalent, is there any evidence
that this does anything? Ten years ago there was an article by David
Brooks, the author of _BOBOS in Paradise_, about such kids at Princeton. I
happened to find a sixth-anniversary reunion questionaire done by one of the
classes. While they were doing all right, there wasn't anything
particularly stellar about their performance. About the only thing that
stood out was that almost none of them had children, only six percent, and
most of them had only one child.

Joseph T Major

Doug Wickström

Mar 23, 2011, 11:06:29 PM3/23/11
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:20:16 -0400, "Joseph T Major"
<jtm...@iglou.com> wrote:

>worked from 6 am until five minutes after the boss left, then
>spent two hours with the other sararimen in the pachinko parlor

Well, no. They read newspapers until 10 or 11 AM, then got to
work. After work they went to the "snakku," or bar with peanuts
and such on the counter, and drank until they got up the courage
to sing.

Pachinko just ain't in it.

--
Doug Wickström

David Harmon

Mar 24, 2011, 12:26:44 PM3/24/11
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:39:44 +0000 (UTC) in rec.arts.sf.fandom,
nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote,

>I remember reading an article about one of the high priced, high status
>preschools in the US that had a thick folder of "pre-conception contracts".

I remember reading it in a Varley story on the moon.

Lowell Gilbert

Mar 25, 2011, 9:26:16 AM3/25/11
David Harmon <sou...@netcom.com> writes:

It goes without saying (or should, at least) that I'm jealous.

Paul Ciszek

Mar 25, 2011, 2:40:24 PM3/25/11

In article <b4eb51ba-5aef-418d...@z27g2000prz.googlegroups.com>,

Cryptoengineer <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:

>There's an old story that in England aristocrats and social climbers
>would register with Eton as soon as the wife became pregnant, and
>cancel if the child was female.

"For sale: baby clothes. Never used." --Ernest Hemmingway

--
Please reply to: | "All true wealth is biological"
pciszek at panix dot com | --Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

Tim McDaniel

Mar 25, 2011, 3:45:37 PM3/25/11
In article <iminio$3pc$5...@reader1.panix.com>,

Paul Ciszek <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

>In article <b4eb51ba-5aef-418d...@z27g2000prz.googlegroups.com>,
>Cryptoengineer <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>There's an old story that in England aristocrats and social climbers
>>would register with Eton as soon as the wife became pregnant, and
>>cancel if the child was female.
>
>"For sale: baby clothes. Never used." --Ernest Hemmingway

<http://www.cliffsnotes.com/Section/In-which-Hemingway-short-story-is-the-saying-Childrens-shoes-for-sale-.id-305403,articleId-41062.html>
says that the common form of the story is

"For sale: Baby shoes. Never used."

But "This six-word short story is repeatedly attributed to Ernest
Hemingway, although no one has been able to prove that he actually
wrote it. Hemingway scholars generally agree, though, that it isn't
outside the realm of possibility, given Hemingway's history and
style."

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com