Most frightening moment in TV

Transition Zone

Oct 25, 2011, 4:04:44 PM10/25/11
I think the opening of Halloween I to the roadside rest stop had to
have been the scariest for me. In all the years (about 30) since
looking at mystery/horror, nothing else immediately comes to mind,
whether TV or Motion Picture.
(since Motion picture will eventually become TV).

Mason Barge

Oct 25, 2011, 5:45:36 PM10/25/11
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:04:44 -0700 (PDT), Transition Zone
<mog...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Definitely when I watched the Nancy Grace show by accident one day.

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 25, 2011, 6:49:48 PM10/25/11
In article <10965b68-2092-445b...@f36g2000vbm.googlegroups.com>,
Well, this is certainly going to be a YMMV thing. Who are you who
will be scared, how old are you, what's your background? I can
remember being terrified by Disney's _Snow White_ when it was
re-released when I was about four.* A little later, _On the
Beach_ scared the liverwurst out of me, but it was about
something we were all afraid of already.

I don't watch horror any more, though I do remember _Poltergeist_
(the first one), not because it scared me much but because it was
so excellently done. Remember the crawling beefsteak?

____
*Not the part you might think, but the moment when the evil Queen
lifted her beautiful slender hands into the moonlight, and there
was a lightning flash and she screamed, "My hands!" and they
turned into wrinkled crone's claws.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

erilar

Oct 25, 2011, 7:29:24 PM10/25/11
I don't recall anything fictional on TV that I found frightening. I do
remember the movie that most terrified me when I was about 9 or 10: The
Ghost of Frankenstein. And to make it worse, my brother and I had to
walk home (a few blocks) in the dark afterwards!

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

David

Oct 25, 2011, 7:43:10 PM10/25/11
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:04:44 -0700 (PDT), Transition Zone
<mog...@hotmail.com> wrote:

"The Twilight Zone" episode with the gremlin on the plane made me
unable to look behind window shades for the rest of my childhood.

Ian J. Ball

Oct 25, 2011, 7:46:01 PM10/25/11
"There's.... *something*.. on.. the.. wing!... Some.... THING!!!"

:)

Brian

Oct 25, 2011, 8:06:52 PM10/25/11
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:04:44 -0700 (PDT), Transition Zone
I know it isn't what you are looking for but for me, it was 9-11. It
put everything else into perspective.

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 25, 2011, 8:08:31 PM10/25/11
In article <21c790d0-3c24-479a...@x16g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
See, that's why I was saying it all depends. You saw that, you
say, as a child. I saw it re-run, as a middle-aged adult. I
wasn't impressed.

Arthur Lipscomb

Oct 25, 2011, 8:49:03 PM10/25/11
On 10/25/2011 3:49 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article<10965b68-2092-445b...@f36g2000vbm.googlegroups.com>,
> Transition Zone<mog...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I think the opening of Halloween I to the roadside rest stop had to
>> have been the scariest for me. In all the years (about 30) since
>> looking at mystery/horror, nothing else immediately comes to mind,
>> whether TV or Motion Picture.
>> (since Motion picture will eventually become TV).
>
> Well, this is certainly going to be a YMMV thing. Who are you who
> will be scared, how old are you, what's your background? I can
> remember being terrified by Disney's _Snow White_ when it was
> re-released when I was about four.*

I vaguely remember having a fear of E.T. Not the movie/character but
that the alien was actually in my closet.

And the scene in Superman 3 when one of the characters was turned into a
robot was horrifying.

I think the first time something on TV scared me was watching the movie
Sssssss. Seeing Dirk Benedict turn into a snake was beyond creepy.

A little later, _On the
> Beach_ scared the liverwurst out of me, but it was about
> something we were all afraid of already.

Yeah, I mentioned once before being scared by one of those fake newscast
movies that depicted a possible nuclear war.

It's weird many of us we grew up with the fear of nuclear war that
today's kids don't worry about.

cloud dreamer

Oct 25, 2011, 8:51:27 PM10/25/11
The scene in Poltergeist where the wife pushes the chairs in, turns away
and when she turned back, the chairs were piled on top of the table.

:o
Message has been deleted

David

Oct 25, 2011, 9:09:25 PM10/25/11
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 17:49:03 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>And the scene in Superman 3 when one of the characters was turned into a
>robot was horrifying.

Oh yeah. It was silly but that scene did freak me out.

I could probably come up with a lot of examples from WPIX's
"Shocktober" lineup. The remake of "Invaders From Mars" scared me just
with its general concept of the boy witnessing all that and no one
believing him. And "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" was okay, and then
that scream in the end left me unsettled for a long time.

Michael OConnor

Oct 25, 2011, 9:18:08 PM10/25/11
On Oct 25, 7:43 pm, David <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:04:44 -0700 (PDT), Transition Zone
>
> <mogu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I think the opening of Halloween I to the roadside rest stop had to
> >have been the scariest for me.  In all the years (about 30) since
> >looking at mystery/horror, nothing else immediately comes to mind,
> >whether TV or Motion Picture.
> >(since Motion picture will eventually become TV).
>
> "The Twilight Zone" episode with the gremlin on the plane made me
> unable to look behind window shades for the rest of my childhood.

The Twilight Zone moment that freaked me out the most was the little
kid who put the guys head on the jack in the box.

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 25, 2011, 9:19:00 PM10/25/11
In article <j87ldv$7rt$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>On 10/25/2011 3:49 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> In article<10965b68-2092-445b...@f36g2000vbm.googlegroups.com>,
>> Transition Zone<mog...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think the opening of Halloween I to the roadside rest stop had to
>>> have been the scariest for me. In all the years (about 30) since
>>> looking at mystery/horror, nothing else immediately comes to mind,
>>> whether TV or Motion Picture.
>>> (since Motion picture will eventually become TV).
>>
>> Well, this is certainly going to be a YMMV thing. Who are you who
>> will be scared, how old are you, what's your background? I can
>> remember being terrified by Disney's _Snow White_ when it was
>> re-released when I was about four.*
>
>I vaguely remember having a fear of E.T. Not the movie/character but
>that the alien was actually in my closet.
>
>And the scene in Superman 3 when one of the characters was turned into a
>robot was horrifying.
>
>I think the first time something on TV scared me was watching the movie
>Sssssss. Seeing Dirk Benedict turn into a snake was beyond creepy.
>
>A little later, _On the
>> Beach_ scared the liverwurst out of me, but it was about
>> something we were all afraid of already.
>
>Yeah, I mentioned once before being scared by one of those fake newscast
>movies that depicted a possible nuclear war.

I saw something on the tube once (1970s?) about an alien
invasion, which was done as a series of news broadcasts. They
kept telling us and telling us that it was only a TV show, and I
never heard of any War-of-the-Worlds-in-1938-type panics, so I
guess it worked. Frankly, it was pretty darned dull. Except for
the final moments, in which the newscasters were talking about
something awful happening and

and then the tv screen went blank.

And the credits came on maybe thirty seconds later.

>It's weird many of us we grew up with the fear of nuclear war that
>today's kids don't worry about.

Oh, it gets better than that. One of the NIKE missile bases in
the hills outside Los Angeles has been turned into a historical
park, with little signs posted outside the foundations of the
buildings (all that's left) explaining what they used to be. And
with it goes a pamphlet, a copy of which I received from the guy
I was working for who had written it, explaining to the little
kids what the Cold War was and what the missile bases were for.

I call that cool.

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 25, 2011, 9:19:48 PM10/25/11
In article <dnjea71enqlo09p6t...@4ax.com>,
Did you ever venture to see the Spielberg _War of the Worlds_,
which was playing off the same images? I never bothered.

Professor Bubba

Oct 25, 2011, 10:56:51 PM10/25/11
In article <LtnFp...@kithrup.com>, Dorothy J Heydt
<djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:

> In article <dnjea71enqlo09p6t...@4ax.com>,
> Brian <drmorri...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:04:44 -0700 (PDT), Transition Zone
> ><mog...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I think the opening of Halloween I to the roadside rest stop had to
> >>have been the scariest for me. In all the years (about 30) since
> >>looking at mystery/horror, nothing else immediately comes to mind,
> >>whether TV or Motion Picture.
> >>(since Motion picture will eventually become TV).
> >
> >I know it isn't what you are looking for but for me, it was 9-11. It
> >put everything else into perspective.
>
> Did you ever venture to see the Spielberg _War of the Worlds_,
> which was playing off the same images? I never bothered.

A couple of years ago, I watched a show about a crew that was cleaning
and mapping the transmission tower on top of the Empire State Building,
at night, in 40-degree weather. There were no real handholds or
footholds, and they had to spend a third of the climb with their safety
harnesses unhitched to anything. There were all sorts of obstructions
they had to climb over, too, including a metal deck that surrounded the
uppermost part of the tower. I don't know how the camera people
managed to do their jobs. Anyway, that was probably the scariest thing
I've ever seen on TV. It was very difficult to watch.

Professor Bubba

Oct 25, 2011, 11:10:05 PM10/25/11
In article <LtnFn...@kithrup.com>, Dorothy J Heydt
<djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:

> I saw something on the tube once (1970s?) about an alien
> invasion, which was done as a series of news broadcasts. They
> kept telling us and telling us that it was only a TV show, and I
> never heard of any War-of-the-Worlds-in-1938-type panics, so I
> guess it worked. Frankly, it was pretty darned dull. Except for
> the final moments, in which the newscasters were talking about
> something awful happening and
>

> and then the tv screen went blank.
>
> And the credits came on maybe thirty seconds later.

It's from the '90s, but I think you're talking about Without Warning.

<http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0889287/>

It ran on 30 October 1994, the 56th anniversary of the War of the
Worlds broadcast. Sander Vanocur presides over a real-time newscast
that reports Earth has been contacted by aliens. President Clinton
nukes the arriving alien craft, prompting the aliens to retaliate by
bombarding Earth with meteors, thus ending all life here. The last
thing we see is Vanocur quoting Shakespeare about how the fault doesn't
lie in our stars, etc etc etc, and then all the TV goes out forever. I
don't know if the show has ever been repeated, but there's a DVD.

Joan in GB-W

Oct 25, 2011, 11:12:03 PM10/25/11
It was a Twilight Zone episode. A guy is buried in the sand near the ocean
and the tide is coming in. There is a TV near to him in the sand and he can
watch himself as the tide comes slowly in and eventually washes over him and
drowns him. That episode kept me up for nights way back when.

Joan

Arthur Lipscomb

Oct 25, 2011, 11:22:29 PM10/25/11
Ever see Strange Invaders? It had aliens turning people into glowing
orbs starting by rolling up their feet and shrinking them. It literally
made me sick to my stomach as a child.

As a child I was probably more frightened by things I saw in PG rated
movies than anything I saw that was R rated. Movies like Raiders of the
Lost Ark and Poltergeist had people's faces melting off!

solarr

Oct 25, 2011, 11:30:09 PM10/25/11
Hi T. Zone,
That old "Outer Limits" episode that had the cooties from outer
space. I'm serious. =:-O

-/< /\ />-

Professor Bubba

Oct 25, 2011, 11:31:45 PM10/25/11
In article <9gpc43...@mid.individual.net>, Joan in GB-W
I think that was a segment in the 1982 film Creepshow:

<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083767/>

Cheated-on husband Leslie Nielsen buries Ted Danson (boyfriend of wife)
and Gaylen Ross (wife) up to their necks in sand, and lets them slowly
drown as the tide comes in. He watches them drown on his
closed-circuit TV setup. The segment was called "Something to Tide You
Over."

David

Oct 25, 2011, 11:49:53 PM10/25/11
Wikipedia has more about it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Without_Warning_(1994_film)

Funny how they cast known actors and frequent messages that it's fake
but still got some calls. Wouldn't just the presence of commercials
tip people off?

David

Oct 26, 2011, 12:14:06 AM10/26/11
On Oct 25, 11:22 pm, Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
wrote:

> As a child I was probably more frightened by things I saw in PG rated
> movies than anything I saw that was R rated.  Movies like Raiders of the
> Lost Ark and Poltergeist had people's faces melting off!

Yeah that was before PG-13 was invented. Here's another one: The truck
driver from "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure."

ellen ford

Oct 26, 2011, 12:11:11 AM10/26/11
Ha ha!
"Never met an innocent defendant, never expect to smeet one. one.

"If you were arrested there must have been a reasom."

Ellen

kat >^.^< in Rhinelander

Oct 26, 2011, 12:23:53 AM10/26/11

"Mike Burke" wrote in message

As a very small child (2 or 3) I was taken by some older friends to
the movies. They were babysitting me but wanted to go see "Jungle
Book". It scared me witless from the very first scene. Well into
adulthood, I could not watch horror or even suspense movies, and still
avoid them by choice. For example, I still haven't seen "Psycho".

I'm a wimp.

Mique

Those damned flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz. It didn't help that I had
met a spider monkey that scared the crap out of me at age 5. Pulled my hair
and tried to drag me into its pen.
Oh, and my mom says I'd constantly hide behind the couch as soon as the
dramatic music on Lassie would cue up. Couldn't take the suspense.
Still a wus. And I still hate monkeys.
kat >^.^<
in Rhinelander

ellen ford

Oct 26, 2011, 12:29:44 AM10/26/11
Real life: The twin towers collapsing on 9/11.
Fiction: A neat little horror movie called Carnival of Souls, made in
Lawrence, KS, probably for no more than $26. My husband and I were
terrified by it. Too scared to go to sleep. It was on TCM this week.
Try to catch it if you can.

Ellen

Joan in GB-W

Oct 26, 2011, 1:15:43 AM10/26/11

"kat >^.^< in Rhinelander" <ktromp...@live.com> wrote in message
Don't sight-see on the Rock of Gibraltar, Kat. While "touristing" there
this past May, one of the wild monkeys that frequent the Rock jumped on my
head and back and reached in my shirt and scratched my shoulder.

Joan

Rik Shepherd

Oct 26, 2011, 4:55:40 AM10/26/11
Dorothy wrote >

> Oh, it gets better than that. One of the NIKE missile bases in
> the hills outside Los Angeles has been turned into a historical
> park, with little signs posted outside the foundations of the
> buildings (all that's left) explaining what they used to be. And
> with it goes a pamphlet, a copy of which I received from the guy
> I was working for who had written it, explaining to the little
> kids what the Cold War was and what the missile bases were for.
>
> I call that cool.

If we drive to Ironbridge (or the Anderton boat lift, come to that) we go
past a little brown tourist attraction sign marked "Hack Green Secret
Bunker"...

tomcervo

Oct 26, 2011, 8:31:59 AM10/26/11
On Oct 25, 11:31 pm, Professor Bubba <bu...@nowhere.edu.invalid>
wrote:
> In article <9gpc43Fim...@mid.individual.net>, Joan in GB-W
That was an old IRA punishment. Saved on bullets, and took a lot of
men to do it--all of whom remembered what happened to traitors.

tomcervo

Oct 26, 2011, 8:34:36 AM10/26/11
Tobe Hooper's "'Salem's Lot", when the dead kid comes to the window.

Professor Bubba

Oct 26, 2011, 9:16:42 AM10/26/11
In article
<cec6a33c-b295-424b...@m19g2000vbm.googlegroups.com>,
tomcervo <paradi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tobe Hooper's "'Salem's Lot", when the dead kid comes to the window.

You've reminded me of how scared I was by 13 Ghosts, the old William
Castle pic from 1960. I was only seven, though.

kat >^.^< in Rhinelander

Oct 26, 2011, 10:06:09 AM10/26/11

"Joan in GB-W" wrote in message news:9gpjbv...@mid.individual.net...
>>>shudder<<<
>^.^<

Catherine Thompson

Oct 26, 2011, 10:28:14 AM10/26/11
On 25/10/2011 5:04 PM, Transition Zone wrote:
> I think the opening of Halloween I to the roadside rest stop had to
> have been the scariest for me. In all the years (about 30) since
> looking at mystery/horror, nothing else immediately comes to mind,
> whether TV or Motion Picture.
> (since Motion picture will eventually become TV).

OK, I saw this as an adult, and while it didn't scare me so badly I
couldn't sleep or anything... the episode of "Doctor Who" entitled
"Don't Blink" with those creepy Weeping Angels...

They still scare the pants off me.

Catherine

Mason Barge

Oct 26, 2011, 11:40:29 AM10/26/11
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:49:48 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
>Transition Zone <mog...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>I think the opening of Halloween I to the roadside rest stop had to
>>have been the scariest for me. In all the years (about 30) since
>>looking at mystery/horror, nothing else immediately comes to mind,
>>whether TV or Motion Picture.
>>(since Motion picture will eventually become TV).
>
>Well, this is certainly going to be a YMMV thing. Who are you who
>will be scared, how old are you, what's your background? I can
>remember being terrified by Disney's _Snow White_ when it was
>re-released when I was about four.*

Those scenes with the axeman and then the run through the forest were
indeed utterly terrifying.

Mason Barge

Oct 26, 2011, 11:44:00 AM10/26/11
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:43:10 -0400, David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:04:44 -0700 (PDT), Transition Zone
><mog...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I think the opening of Halloween I to the roadside rest stop had to
>>have been the scariest for me. In all the years (about 30) since
>>looking at mystery/horror, nothing else immediately comes to mind,
>>whether TV or Motion Picture.
>>(since Motion picture will eventually become TV).
>
>"The Twilight Zone" episode with the gremlin on the plane made me
>unable to look behind window shades for the rest of my childhood.

Twilight Zone was time and time again so scary that kids under 13 really
shouldn't have been allowed to watch it.

I think my personal most-terrifying episode was the one where the farm
woman (wasn't it Cloris Leachman or someone like that?) fought off the
tiny flying saucer people.

Second would be the one where the little kid had unlimited powers and kept
sending people to a bad place.

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 26, 2011, 11:57:56 AM10/26/11
In article <vcaga7d90235b9jak...@4ax.com>,
But, as I said, that wasn't what frightened me. It was the evil
Queen turning hag.

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 26, 2011, 11:58:29 AM10/26/11
In article <dgaga7ldk9n36esn0...@4ax.com>,
From the short story "It's a GOOD Life," by Jerome Bixby.

erilar

Oct 26, 2011, 12:16:01 PM10/26/11
In article <9gpjbv...@mid.individual.net>,
"Joan in GB-W" <jjk...@aol.com> wrote:

> Don't sight-see on the Rock of Gibraltar, Kat. While "touristing" there
> this past May, one of the wild monkeys that frequent the Rock jumped on my
> head and back and reached in my shirt and scratched my shoulder.
>
> Joan

You're lucky it didn't steal anything. They do.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

erilar

Oct 26, 2011, 12:18:09 PM10/26/11
In article <ml0fa798atq2r9q2d...@4ax.com>,
David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Funny how they cast known actors and frequent messages that it's fake
> but still got some calls. Wouldn't just the presence of commercials
> tip people off?

They'd add commercials to a REAL invasions.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

Dano

Oct 26, 2011, 12:45:28 PM10/26/11
"Mason Barge" wrote in message
===================================

Billy Mumy wasn't it?

Mitchy

Oct 26, 2011, 1:13:58 PM10/26/11
> OK, I saw this as an adult, and while it didn't scare
> me so badly I couldn't sleep or anything... the episode
> of "Doctor Who" entitled "Don't Blink" with those
> creepy Weeping Angels...
>
> They still scare the pants off me.
>
> Catherine

We'll have to get you down to Cornwall next time you
come over, Cat. Take you to the Dr Who Exhibition at
Lands End, introduce you to the Weeping Angels in
person :D

Mitchy

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 26, 2011, 1:07:07 PM10/26/11
In article <drache-9282CC....@news.eternal-september.org>,
erilar <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>In article <ml0fa798atq2r9q2d...@4ax.com>,
> David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Funny how they cast known actors and frequent messages that it's fake
>> but still got some calls. Wouldn't just the presence of commercials
>> tip people off?
>
>They'd add commercials to a REAL invasions.

OK, there's been a thread on rasf.written that led me to this
link:

http://www.awesomestories.com/assets/the-night-that-panicked-america-part-1

An extremely good dramatization of the effect of Orson Welles's
_War of the Worlds_ on the American population.

E.g., scene: an expensive apartment in San Francisco, full of
rich people having a party. They've tuned in in the middle of
the broadcast and are getting very nervous.

Maid to butler: "When are you going to tell them it's just a
radio play?"

Butler: "When they ask me."

Toward the end things started happening that had me on the edge
of my seat, repeating "There were no deaths. There were no
deaths. Lots of people got nutty, but nobody killed himself."

Professor Bubba

Oct 26, 2011, 2:32:49 PM10/26/11
In article <dgaga7ldk9n36esn0...@4ax.com>, Mason Barge
<mason...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think my personal most-terrifying episode was the one where the farm
> woman (wasn't it Cloris Leachman or someone like that?) fought off the
> tiny flying saucer people.

Agnes Moorehead. One of the best roles in her career, according to
her, and she was right.

Steve Bartman

Oct 26, 2011, 3:28:54 PM10/26/11
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:30:09 -0700 (PDT), solarr <sol...@aol.com>
wrote:
That one did it for me too. Nightmares all summer. I was about 9 YO I
think.

Steve

Bookwyrm

Oct 26, 2011, 4:32:22 PM10/26/11
Went to a birthday party in 1953, where we were all taken to see
the Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis comedy "Scared Stiff".
Had nightmares for a week or more.

Bookwyrm

Annie C

Oct 26, 2011, 6:13:14 PM10/26/11

"kat >^.^< in Rhinelander" <ktromp...@live.com> wrote in message
> Those damned flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz. It didn't help that I
> had met a spider monkey that scared the crap out of me at age 5. Pulled
> my hair and tried to drag me into its pen.
> Oh, and my mom says I'd constantly hide behind the couch as soon as the
> dramatic music on Lassie would cue up. Couldn't take the suspense.
> Still a wus. And I still hate monkeys.
> kat >^.^<
> in Rhinelander

For me, there are three, in order:
The silent movie, 1922, original Nosferatu with Max Schreck..creepiness
personified, yikes!
Werewolf movies -- American Werewolf in London and the 1941 Lon Chaney*
"Wolf Man".. brrrrr
And Wof Oz Flying Monkeys!

Oh, yeah, and * (no relation to Lon ) -- Dick Cheney.
Talk about terrifying......

Annie

solarr

Oct 26, 2011, 8:17:12 PM10/26/11
Hi Steve,

On Oct 26, 2:28 pm, Steve Bartman <sbart...@visi.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:30:09 -0700 (PDT), solarr <sol...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi T. Zone,
>
> >On Oct 25, 3:04 pm, Transition Zone <mogu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I think the opening of Halloween I to the roadside rest stop had to
> >> have been the scariest for me.  In all the years (about 30) since
> >> looking at mystery/horror, nothing else immediately comes to mind,
> >> whether TV or Motion Picture.
> >> (since Motion picture will eventually become TV).
>
> >That old "Outer Limits" episode that had the cooties from outer
> >space.  I'm serious.  =:-O
>
> That one did it for me too. Nightmares all summer. I was about 9 YO I
> think.

Yes! If there's one thing all the responses in this thread makes
clear, it's that how old you were when you saw something scary makes a
huge difference as to how scary it was. =:-O

;-)

-/< /\ />-

Brian

Oct 26, 2011, 9:20:52 PM10/26/11
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 01:19:48 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>In article <dnjea71enqlo09p6t...@4ax.com>,
>Brian <drmorri...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:04:44 -0700 (PDT), Transition Zone
>><mog...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I think the opening of Halloween I to the roadside rest stop had to
>>>have been the scariest for me. In all the years (about 30) since
>>>looking at mystery/horror, nothing else immediately comes to mind,
>>>whether TV or Motion Picture.
>>>(since Motion picture will eventually become TV).
>>
>>I know it isn't what you are looking for but for me, it was 9-11. It
>>put everything else into perspective.
>
>Did you ever venture to see the Spielberg _War of the Worlds_,
>which was playing off the same images? I never bothered.

No, I never saw it.

Seeing the pictures still bothers me.

family

Oct 27, 2011, 1:14:35 AM10/27/11
The anti (Presidential Candidate) Barry Goldwater TV commercial in which a
little girl is picking flowers and the voice over gives the count down the
firing of the Atomic Bomb.
It only aired once, but once was enough!

Richard

Oct 27, 2011, 9:34:22 AM10/27/11
I was 11 years old and my Uncle Dan and Aunt Connie took me to the
movies:

1947, Edward G. Robinson, "The Red House".

We viewed it again a few years back and I was still a bit edgy and I
didn't ask mommy to please leave the hallway light on that night...
de

Transition Zone

Oct 27, 2011, 12:19:19 PM10/27/11
On Oct 25, 8:08 pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

> See, that's why I was saying it all depends.  You saw that, you
> say, as a child.  I saw it re-run, as a middle-aged adult.  I
> wasn't impressed.

As a kid, I was scared for many nights after I saw Arthur C Clark's
2001 (the original). The music that would play when those monoliths
would appear out of nowhere were scary.

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 27, 2011, 1:17:52 PM10/27/11
In article <4a7f9d1c-2fdf-4db1...@v8g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,
The Also Sprach Zarathustra theme, which is merely supposed to
represent the dawn? Or the other stuff, which is by the
20th-century composer Georgy Ligety and rather far-out? I liked
it -- but then I was 24 when I saw it first.

It has long been said, "The Golden Age of Science Fiction is
thirteen." Perhaps the Golden Age of getting scared at the
movies is, say, nine?

Catherine Thompson

Oct 27, 2011, 5:00:48 PM10/27/11
I won't blink, I won't blink...

Actually, I do want to get to Cornwall one day. I'd love to visit
Tintagel, birthplace of King Arthur. ;-)

Catherine

Ken Wesson

Oct 28, 2011, 9:23:09 AM10/28/11
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:17:52 +0000, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> In article
> <4a7f9d1c-2fdf-4db1...@v8g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,
> Transition Zone <mog...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>On Oct 25, 8:08 pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
>>>
>>> See, that's why I was saying it all depends.  You saw that, you say,
>>> as a child.  I saw it re-run, as a middle-aged adult.  I wasn't
>>> impressed.
>>
>>As a kid, I was scared for many nights after I saw Arthur C Clark's 2001
>>(the original). The music that would play when those monoliths would
>>appear out of nowhere were scary.
>
> The Also Sprach Zarathustra theme, which is merely supposed to represent
> the dawn? Or the other stuff, which is by the 20th-century composer
> Georgy Ligety and rather far-out? I liked it -- but then I was 24 when
> I saw it first.

The sequel, 2010, has some nice music by a different contemporary
composer: David Shire. Funnily enough, this one's name has never popped
up on my radar otherwise.

> It has long been said, "The Golden Age of Science Fiction is thirteen."
> Perhaps the Golden Age of getting scared at the movies is, say, nine?

Probably.

Jim G.

Oct 28, 2011, 5:38:56 PM10/28/11
Mason Barge sent the following on Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:44:00 -0400:
> I think my personal most-terrifying episode was the one where the farm
> woman (wasn't it Cloris Leachman or someone like that?) fought off the
> tiny flying saucer people.

Great episode and individual performance. And she had something like one
line of dialogue, if that.

--
Jim G. | Waukesha, WI
NoCLoDS Founding Member (No Cop, Lawyer or Doctor Shows)

Sue D.

Oct 28, 2011, 9:46:27 PM10/28/11
On 10/25/2011 11:23 PM, kat >^.^< in Rhinelander wrote:

> Those damned flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz. It didn't help that I
> had met a spider monkey that scared the crap out of me at age 5. Pulled
> my hair and tried to drag me into its pen.
> Oh, and my mom says I'd constantly hide behind the couch as soon as the
> dramatic music on Lassie would cue up. Couldn't take the suspense.
> Still a wus. And I still hate monkeys.
> kat >^.^<
> in Rhinelander

They scared me too, Kat, and I still find them creepy.

As an adult, I think it was in Excorcist II, there was a scene where
an elderly woman was shown crawling rapidly across a ceiling with an
evil look on her face. It lasted only a few seconds, but I jerked in my
seat and gasped. I can still see that scene in my head.

Sue D.

Joan in GB-W

Oct 28, 2011, 11:23:55 PM10/28/11

"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com> wrote in message
Does anyone remember Motel Hell - where a farmer captures visitors to his
motel, buries them with their head above ground in a garden, feeds and
waters them, keeps a bag over their head, and eventually makes them into
sausage. (I may have some of this wrong - it was a long time ago - but it
was scary.) I don't think I ever saw the ending.

Joan

Pogonip

Oct 29, 2011, 1:34:32 AM10/29/11
On 10/28/2011 8:23 PM, Joan in GB-W wrote:

> Does anyone remember Motel Hell - where a farmer captures visitors to
> his motel, buries them with their head above ground in a garden, feeds
> and waters them, keeps a bag over their head, and eventually makes them
> into sausage. (I may have some of this wrong - it was a long time ago -
> but it was scary.) I don't think I ever saw the ending.
>
> Joan

For me, the most frightening moment in TV -- and it went on for weeks
and weeks -- was in the local news. A man kidnapped a school teacher
and put her in a refrigerator. He cut a hole for her head to fit up
into the freezer compartment, and he drilled air holes so that she would
have just enough air to remain alive. He kept her in there for weeks,
as I recall, coming to "play" with her from time to time. He was
finally caught and is in prison. The teacher died before they found
her. He had a girlfriend that he had assist him, and I met her son when
I was teaching. He was such a sweet young man, it was very difficult to
imagine him having a mother who went along with all this, even though
she was under this man's control. Icky, icky story, and all true, as
are the most horrible horror stories.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com

Joan in GB-W

Oct 29, 2011, 10:13:14 AM10/29/11

"Pogonip" <nob...@nowhere.org> wrote in message
That story just ruined my day. Horrible}}}}}

Joan

TeeJay1952

Oct 29, 2011, 11:09:27 AM10/29/11
On 10/28/2011 5:38 PM, Jim G. wrote:
> Mason Barge sent the following on Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:44:00 -0400:
>> I think my personal most-terrifying episode was the one where the farm
>> woman (wasn't it Cloris Leachman or someone like that?) fought off the
>> tiny flying saucer people.
>
> Great episode and individual performance. And she had something like one
> line of dialogue, if that.

Agnes Moorehead did that role (Endora from Bewitched)
Tee Jay

Mason Barge

Oct 29, 2011, 4:05:18 PM10/29/11
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 22:23:55 -0500, "Joan in GB-W" <jjk...@aol.com>
wrote:

Was that the one with Rory Calhoun? "They check in, but they don't check
out"?

I remember it only because he was a hero of mine from some old Western on
tv. I'll have to google to remember which one . . ..

The Texan. And yeah, that was him in Motel Hell.

Mason Barge

Oct 29, 2011, 4:06:53 PM10/29/11
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:38:56 -0500, Jim G. <jimg...@geemail.com> wrote:

>Mason Barge sent the following on Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:44:00 -0400:
>> I think my personal most-terrifying episode was the one where the farm
>> woman (wasn't it Cloris Leachman or someone like that?) fought off the
>> tiny flying saucer people.
>
>Great episode and individual performance. And she had something like one
>line of dialogue, if that.

My obviously imperfect memory was that there was only one short broadcast
from the flying saucer back to Mission Control.

marcus

Oct 29, 2011, 11:17:32 PM10/29/11
On Oct 25, 9:18 pm, Michael OConnor <mpoconn...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Oct 25, 7:43 pm, David <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:04:44 -0700 (PDT), Transition Zone
>
> > <mogu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >I think the opening of Halloween I to the roadside rest stop had to
> > >have been the scariest for me.  In all the years (about 30) since
> > >looking at mystery/horror, nothing else immediately comes to mind,
> > >whether TV or Motion Picture.
> > >(since Motion picture will eventually become TV).
>
> > "The Twilight Zone" episode with the gremlin on the plane made me
> > unable to look behind window shades for the rest of my childhood.
>
> The Twilight Zone moment that freaked me out the most was the little
> kid who put the guys head on the jack in the box.

Yes, that was pretty damn scary!

marcus

Oct 29, 2011, 11:23:31 PM10/29/11
On Oct 26, 11:44 am, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:43:10 -0400, David <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:04:44 -0700 (PDT), Transition Zone
> ><mogu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>I think the opening of Halloween I to the roadside rest stop had to
> >>have been the scariest for me.  In all the years (about 30) since
> >>looking at mystery/horror, nothing else immediately comes to mind,
> >>whether TV or Motion Picture.
> >>(since Motion picture will eventually become TV).
>
> >"The Twilight Zone" episode with the gremlin on the plane made me
> >unable to look behind window shades for the rest of my childhood.
>
> Twilight Zone was time and time again so scary that kids under 13 really
> shouldn't have been allowed to watch it.
>
> I think my personal most-terrifying episode was the one where the farm
> woman (wasn't it Cloris Leachman or someone like that?) fought off the
> tiny flying saucer people.
>
> Second would be the one where the little kid had unlimited powers and kept
> sending people to a bad place.

"To Serve Man" was scary and the "Maple Street" episode, but oddly
enough as a kid around 11 or so when I first saw it, the episode with
the dead grandmother talking to the grandson on the phone really
freaked me out...Talking Tina(with Telly Savalas) was also scary.

Marc

http://marccatone.webs.com/thegiantschair.htm

marcus

Oct 29, 2011, 11:20:48 PM10/29/11
On Oct 26, 11:40 am, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:49:48 GMT, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
> wrote:
>
> >In article <10965b68-2092-445b-98ae-2e6aa942f...@f36g2000vbm.googlegroups.com>,
> >Transition Zone  <mogu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>I think the opening of Halloween I to the roadside rest stop had to
> >>have been the scariest for me.  In all the years (about 30) since
> >>looking at mystery/horror, nothing else immediately comes to mind,
> >>whether TV or Motion Picture.
> >>(since Motion picture will eventually become TV).
>
> >Well, this is certainly going to be a YMMV thing.  Who are you who
> >will be scared, how old are you, what's your background?  I can
> >remember being terrified by Disney's _Snow White_ when it was
> >re-released when I was about four.*
>
> Those scenes with the axeman and then the run through the forest were
> indeed utterly terrifying.

The face of the witch on the giant screen when I was a kid in the 50s,
and how it stayed there for several seconds remains one of the
scariest scenes of any movie I've ever seen in my life.

Jim G.

Nov 1, 2011, 3:56:11 PM11/1/11
Joan in GB-W sent the following on Fri, 28 Oct 2011 22:23:55 -0500:
I saw something with that sort of plot, but I wouldn't have been able to
tell you the name. It was kinda campy, IIRC.

Jim G.

Nov 1, 2011, 3:56:11 PM11/1/11
Mason Barge sent the following on Sat, 29 Oct 2011 16:06:53 -0400:
The spacemen (or at least one of them) spoke several times, but the
woman just the one time, IIRC. And the twist at the end was pretty cool
(to the young boy that I was when I first saw it, anyway).

Jim G.

Nov 1, 2011, 3:56:11 PM11/1/11
TeeJay1952 sent the following on Sat, 29 Oct 2011 11:09:27 -0400:
Yes, someone had already clarified that point and I was speaking more
about the acting job itself, which was top notch.

marcus

Nov 1, 2011, 9:14:25 PM11/1/11
On Nov 1, 3:56 pm, Jim G. <jimgy...@geemail.com> wrote:
> Mason Barge sent the following on Sat, 29 Oct 2011 16:06:53 -0400:
>
> > On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:38:56 -0500, Jim G. <jimgy...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
> > >Mason Barge sent the following on Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:44:00 -0400:
>
> > >Great episode and individual performance. And she had something like one
> > >line of dialogue, if that.
>
> > My obviously imperfect memory was that there was only one short broadcast
> > from the flying saucer back to Mission Control.
>
> The spacemen (or at least one of them) spoke several times, but the
> woman just the one time, IIRC. And the twist at the end was pretty cool
> (to the young boy that I was when I first saw it, anyway).

As shocking as the twist at the end of "No Way Out" and "Sixth Sense".

Dorothy J Heydt

Nov 1, 2011, 9:32:43 PM11/1/11
In article <160e19dd-9d92-49c6...@j20g2000vby.googlegroups.com>,
marcus <marc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>As shocking as the twist at the end of "No Way Out" and "Sixth Sense".

I watched that (it was on the tube) only *after* my daughter, who
understands me rather well, sat me down and explained what the
twist was. "Oh," said I, "that's clever; in that case I'll watch
it. Once." And did.

(I am a spoilerphile; and yes, I do look at the end of whodunits
to find out whodunit before I get any further into the book than
maybe Chapter One.)

tomcervo

Nov 3, 2011, 10:06:36 AM11/3/11

"On Thursday We Leave For Home"

1963, The Twilight Zone

James Whitmore is the leader of a space-wrecked group of would-be
colonists marooned on a barren rock. The rescue party arrives, but he
can't leave; the stubbornness and egoism that saved the colonists
holds him back from returning to Earth, just another Joe in a space
overall. He watches them leave and goes from placid to breakdown,
begging the disappearing rocket to take him back. The End

Gave me waking nightmares for days afterward.

Professor Bubba

Nov 3, 2011, 10:23:56 AM11/3/11
In article
<0e152dda-8d2c-486f...@x2g2000vbd.googlegroups.com>,
Me, too ... but then there was "The Thirty-Fathom Grave." I don't
think I slept that night.

"Thursday" is probably my favorite of the hour-longs, though. It had
James Whitmore, who improved everything he was ever in, just by being
there. And there's that ending.
Message has been deleted

Mark Alan Miller

Dec 18, 2011, 9:38:00 PM12/18/11
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:00:48 -0300, Catherine Thompson
<cat...@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Actually, I do want to get to Cornwall one day. I'd love to visit
> Tintagel, birthplace of King Arthur. ;-)

Interesting place. Easy to see how legends came to be attached to
it, but it's not worth a special trip as it's fairly small, even for
a ruin. Luckily there are plenty of other nice bits in Devon and
Cornwall. I especially liked touring an old tin mine (at Geevor, way
out near Land's End.) The retired miner/tour guide was full of
amazing stories. Not for the claustrophobic as you go down into a
tunnel about five feet high and three across that was dug by hand
hundreds of years ago. Very cool.

Mark Alan Miller

--
Mark Alan Miller