OT: Which writer do you resemble?

Dave in Toronto

Jul 18, 2010, 11:07:47 PM7/18/10
You guys and gals might get a charge out of this. Put a sample of
you're writing in and find out what famous writer you resemble. I
apparently I write like Vladimir Nabokov'

http://iwl.me/

Dave in Toronto

Pogonip

Jul 19, 2010, 1:19:50 AM7/19/10

And I write like Stephen King, a writer I do not read, having attempted
one book and wound up throwing it across the room. So I am puzzled.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 19, 2010, 2:38:31 AM7/19/10
In article <4c43e075$1...@news.bnb-lp.com>, Pogonip <nob...@nowhere.org> wrote:
>Dave in Toronto wrote:
>> You guys and gals might get a charge out of this. Put a sample of
>> you're writing in and find out what famous writer you resemble. I
>> apparently I write like Vladimir Nabokov'
>>
>> http://iwl.me/
>>
>> Dave in Toronto
>
>And I write like Stephen King, a writer I do not read, having attempted
>one book and wound up throwing it across the room. So I am puzzled.

Hm. I wouldn't mind writing like King: he makes lots of money.

Instead, the thing said I write like Cory Doctorow, whom I've
never read, or like Lewis Carroll, whom I have. Zeesh.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Message has been deleted

art...@yahoo.com

Jul 19, 2010, 9:19:40 AM7/19/10

Based on that, James Ellroy writes like William Gibson and William
Burroughs writes like Chuck Palahuniak (Sp?)

I gave it an excerpt of a job statement I had written and it said that
I write like Stephen King. No wonder I didn't get the job!

Bev Vincent

Jul 19, 2010, 9:40:40 AM7/19/10

"Dave in Toronto" <dmatt...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> You guys and gals might get a charge out of this. Put a sample of
> you're writing in and find out what famous writer you resemble. I
> apparently I write like Vladimir Nabokov'

On subsequent blocks of text from the same in-progress story I got: Dan
Brown, Robert Louis Stevenson, Mario Puzo, Edgar Allen Poe and Oscar Wilde.
Phew!

Then I put in random excerpts from 10 different King works from throughout
his career and it came back with his name every time.
--

Bev Vincent
www.BevVincent.com

Joan in GB-W

Jul 19, 2010, 11:12:40 AM7/19/10

"Dave in Toronto" <dmatt...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

I think that you submit influences the outcome. Duh . . . of course. But
in my case I submitted the first two of three paragraphs of articles of mine
published in Emerald Reflections (an Irish newsletter) in Milwaukee
Wisconsin. Both of them came back . . . with a James Joyce reference. Hum
. . . the articles were of an Irish nature and they came back with James
Joyce.

Joan

Francis A. Miniter

Jul 19, 2010, 11:50:43 AM7/19/10

I apparently write like James Joyce. I submitted a few
paragraphs from a novel I am writing.

--
Francis A. Miniter

In dem Lande der Pygmäen
gibt es keine Uniformen,
weder Abzeichen, noch irgend welche Normen,
Und Soldaten sind dort nicht zu sehen.

Siegfried von Vegesack, "Es gibt keine Uniformen"
from In dem Lande der Pygmäen

Catherine Thompson

Jul 19, 2010, 12:03:47 PM7/19/10

Well, yes and no... I put in 4 different extracts from 4 different
stories/works-in-progress, and got 3 different answers. When I put in a
chunk of my story about Irish horse thieves and one from one of my
stories about a unicorn at King Arthur's court, I got J. K. Rowling,
which makes sense for the unicorn story. For a budding-romance story, I
got Raymond Chandler (!). And for an extract from a Victorian
murder-mystery, I got Kurt Vonnegut (?!).

Catherine

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 19, 2010, 11:59:31 AM7/19/10
In article <8aj8be...@mid.individual.net>,

But ... I put in two unrelated bits of fictional prose and they
came back ID'd as Cory Doctorow and Lewis Carroll. Any possible
connection between those two? A quick google of the former shows
NO similarities to the latter except being male and writing in
English.

Mitchy

Jul 19, 2010, 1:24:06 PM7/19/10

Yeh, gotta be careful with this one, guys. This has
been all over LiveJournal last week and people have
been analysing it. For starters, there are no authors
of ethnic origin on the list at all, and the originator
of the list refuses to diversify it. The ratio of men
to women is something like 37 to 3. There's a link
here that goes into it in more detail.

http://barnyardchorus.blogspot.com/2010/07/no-youre-racist-and-sexist-and-im.html

Also, the whole thing is a google bomb for a christian
publishing company and isn't really interested in
analysing your writing at all.

Link here:-

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/012502.html

Mitchy

Joan in GB-W

Jul 19, 2010, 1:49:27 PM7/19/10

"Dave in Toronto" <dmatt...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

I just came back as James Joyce for the third time.

Joan

Dave in Toronto

Jul 19, 2010, 2:02:33 PM7/19/10
On Jul 19, 1:24 pm, Mitchy <mi...@NOSPAMorien.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Dave in Toronto wrote:
> > You guys and gals might get a charge out of this.  Put a sample of
> > you're writing in and find out what famous writer you resemble.  I
> > apparently I write like Vladimir Nabokov'
>
> >http://iwl.me/
>
> > Dave in Toronto
>
> Yeh, gotta be careful with this one, guys. This has
> been all over LiveJournal last week and people have
> been analysing it. For starters, there are no authors
> of ethnic origin on the list at all, and the originator
> of the list refuses to diversify it.  The ratio of men
> to women is something like 37 to 3.  There's a link
> here that goes into it in more detail.
>
> http://barnyardchorus.blogspot.com/2010/07/no-youre-racist-and-sexist...

> Also, the whole thing is a google bomb for a christian
> publishing company and isn't really interested in
> analysing your writing at all.
>
> Link here:-
>
> http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/012502.html
>
> Mitchy

Thanks for the links Mitchy. Some interesting info there.

I just put in the last sentence of Chandler's _ THE BIG SLEEP_ and was
told I write like Gertrude Stein.

When you get the analysis there is a link for getting a free e-book on
short story writing so it might all be a rather clever come-on for a
vanity publisher.

Does anybody else here remember the Famous Writer's School scandal of
30 years ago ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_Writers_School.

Dave in Toronto

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 19, 2010, 1:52:58 PM7/19/10
In article <8ajg1n...@mid.individual.net>,
Mitchy <mi...@NOSPAMorien.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Also, the whole thing is a google bomb for a christian
>publishing company

Interesting, sort of.

and isn't really interested in
>analysing your writing at all.

Well, we knew that.

Annie C

Jul 19, 2010, 3:05:03 PM7/19/10

"Joan in GB-W" <jjk...@aol.com> wrote in message

It's a goofy site.. Put in "Happy birthday to you. Have fun"
and you too can write like ERNEST HEMINGWAY!

"Yes, she said yes, yes.. " and you're TOLSTOY!
Duh

Annie :)

Fire Tiger

Jul 19, 2010, 3:58:44 PM7/19/10
The first time, I put in a couple pages of my all-dialogue novel and
got Cory Doctorow. An author I have never heard of. Ever. Thus, as
far as I'm concerned, not a famous writer. The site's link to
Amazon.com of the author's books revealed not a single book title that
I have ever heard of.

The second time, I put a few paragraphs of a political book I've
written and got David Foster Wallace. Another author I never heard of
but his Wiki page says Time magazine ranks him as one of the top 100
authors of all time.

The third time, I put in a few paragraphs from a business advice book
and got Cory Doctorow again. Looking at his Wiki page, there's little
that would qualify him as famous. A loon, yes. Famous, no.

Then I put in a few paragraphs from a player guide I wrote for a
computer game and I got David Foster Wallace again.

Finally, I put in several paragraphs from a TV show proposal I
recently wrote up and got Cory Doctorow once again.

I'm halfway attempted to put in more samples to see if it always
alternates between these two authors but not that interested. The
only thing the thing does is tell you which author it thinks you're
most like. It doesn't tell you why it classifies you as being similar
to that author. Because of this, I view it as valuable as a
horoscope.

Scott Jensen

Lynn Allen

Jul 19, 2010, 4:15:22 PM7/19/10
On 2010-07-19 12:05:03 -0700, "Annie C" <anni...@yahoo.com> said:

> It's a goofy site.. Put in "Happy birthday to you. Have fun"
> and you too can write like ERNEST HEMINGWAY!
>
> "Yes, she said yes, yes.. " and you're TOLSTOY!
> Duh

I don't suppose Edward Bulwer-Lytton was on the author list...
Lymaree
http://www.beadencounter.com/
http://www.skepticaljurorblog.blogspot.com/

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 19, 2010, 4:26:07 PM7/19/10
In article <4c44...@news.bnb-lp.com>,

Lynn Allen <ly...@NOT-semiotics.com> wrote:
>On 2010-07-19 12:05:03 -0700, "Annie C" <anni...@yahoo.com> said:
>
>> It's a goofy site.. Put in "Happy birthday to you. Have fun"
>> and you too can write like ERNEST HEMINGWAY!
>>
>> "Yes, she said yes, yes.. " and you're TOLSTOY!
>> Duh
>
>I don't suppose Edward Bulwer-Lytton was on the author list...

I didn't know Tolstoy was Joyce in disguise.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 19, 2010, 4:25:30 PM7/19/10
In article <8ajlun...@mid.individual.net>,

I am now reminded of the S. Harris cartoon showing Hemingway's
dog and Faulkner's dog.

"Arf and arf. A nice woof. Some bvows and some wows. Bob bow.
A clean woof."

"Woofed woofingly (yet arfing arfarfarf woofs bowwowing) wooves,
wowing too, woofation, arfs, not only bow(wow) but bowing wow
wooving."

Stanley Moore

Jul 19, 2010, 5:17:40 PM7/19/10

"Pogonip" <nob...@nowhere.org> wrote in message

> Dave in Toronto wrote:
>> You guys and gals might get a charge out of this. Put a sample of
>> you're writing in and find out what famous writer you resemble. I
>> apparently I write like Vladimir Nabokov'
>>
>> http://iwl.me/
>>
>> Dave in Toronto
>
> And I write like Stephen King, a writer I do not read, having attempted
> one book and wound up throwing it across the room. So I am puzzled.
> --

Talk about writers I do not read. I never heard of this guy. I put in the
first three pages of my novel in progress and it says I wrtie like:

David Foster Wallace !!!

Who is he? I never heard of him. Is this good or bad? If I wrote like
Tolstoy I suppose it would be bad since it might be hard to sell a novel
nowadays in his style and if I wrote like Stephen King it might be good
since he is a good commercial writer, But David Foster Wallace just beats
all. I am not inclined to add him to my TBR list so does anyone know
anything about this guy?
Take care
--
Stanley L. Moore
"The belief in a supernatural

Stanley Moore

Jul 19, 2010, 5:21:54 PM7/19/10

"Richard Burke" <n...@emails.please> wrote in message
> In article <L5sL4...@kithrup.com>,

> djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

>> >And I write like Stephen King, a writer I do not read, having attempted
>> >one book and wound up throwing it across the room. So I am puzzled.
>>
>> Hm. I wouldn't mind writing like King: he makes lots of money.
>>
>> Instead, the thing said I write like Cory Doctorow, whom I've
>> never read, or like Lewis Carroll, whom I have. Zeesh.
>
> Apparently I'm like James Joyce!
>
> I wish...

Unfortunately people who write like James Joyce are unlikely to get thier
novels published nowadays. Better to write like Janet Evanovich who sells
well. <G>Take care

Stanley Moore

Jul 19, 2010, 5:23:26 PM7/19/10

"Bev Vincent" <MaxD...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Sounds like you do not have a definitive style while Mr King does <G> Take

Dave in Toronto

Jul 19, 2010, 5:32:42 PM7/19/10
On Jul 19, 4:25 pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
> In article <8ajlunF73...@mid.individual.net>,
>

> Annie C <annie_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >"Joan in GB-W" <jjkr...@aol.com> wrote in message
>
> >> "Dave in Toronto" <dmatthew...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> >> I just came back as James Joyce for the third time.
>
> >> Joan
>
> >It's a goofy site.. Put in "Happy birthday to you. Have fun"
> >and you too can write like ERNEST HEMINGWAY!
>
> >"Yes, she said yes, yes.. " and you're TOLSTOY!
>
> I am now reminded of the S. Harris cartoon showing Hemingway's
> dog and Faulkner's dog.
>
> "Arf and arf.  A nice woof.  Some bvows and some wows.  Bob bow.
> A clean woof."
>
> "Woofed woofingly (yet arfing arfarfarf woofs bowwowing) wooves,
> wowing too, woofation, arfs, not only bow(wow) but bowing wow
> wooving."
>
> --
> Dorothy J. Heydt

Woofed woofingly (yet arfing arfarfarf woofs bowwowing) wooves,
wowing too, woofation, arfs, not only bow(wow) but bowing wow
wooving."

....and the analysis comes up with:

Vladimir Nabokov'

Hey! That was the analysis for my writing also. Perhaps there is
something in it after all.

Dave in Toronto

Dave in Toronto

Jul 19, 2010, 5:45:57 PM7/19/10
On Jul 19, 5:17 pm, "Stanley Moore" <smoor...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Pogonip" <nobo...@nowhere.org> wrote in message

> > Dave in Toronto wrote:
> >> You guys and gals might get a charge out of this.  Put a sample of
> >> you're writing in and find out what famous writer you resemble.  I
> >> apparently I write like Vladimir Nabokov'
>
> >>http://iwl.me/
>
> >> Dave in Toronto
>
> > And I write like Stephen King, a writer I do not read, having attempted
> > one book and wound up throwing it across the room.  So I am puzzled.
> > --
>
> Talk about writers I do not read. I never heard of this guy. I put in the
> first three pages of my novel in progress and it says I wrtie like:
>
> David Foster Wallace  !!!
>
> Who is he? I never heard of him. Is this good or bad? If I wrote like
> Tolstoy I suppose it would be bad since it might be hard to sell a novel
> nowadays in his style and if I wrote like Stephen King it might be good
> since he is a good commercial writer, But David Foster Wallace just beats
> all. I am not inclined to add him to my TBR list so does anyone know
> anything about this guy?
> Take care
> --
> Stanley L. Moore

LA Times book editor David Ulin called Wallace "one of the most
influential and innovative writers of the last 20 years."[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Foster_Wallace

He must have slipped by me somehow. I guess I'm not reading the right
kind of books.

Dave in Toronto

Stanley Moore

Jul 19, 2010, 5:38:23 PM7/19/10

"Bev Vincent" <MaxD...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I did what you did and tried subsequent portions of my novel.
I got David Foster Wallace twice for the beginning parts of the first
chapter. Then in a section with lots of dialogue I got James Joyce, then in
a portion with a bit more action I got Dan Brown. I am not sure what use
this is except to convince folks they are like famous writers and for them
to use the service this site provides to become a better writer. Of course
if you write like Tolstoy or Joyce or Hemingway why would I want to be any
better than they are? Heh heh.

Take care
--
Stanley L. Moore

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 19, 2010, 5:52:27 PM7/19/10
In article <GbydnT7M2taOXtnR...@giganews.com>,

Stanley Moore <smoo...@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Richard Burke" <n...@emails.please> wrote in message

>>> Hm. I wouldn't mind writing like King: he makes lots of money.
>>>
>>> Instead, the thing said I write like Cory Doctorow, whom I've
>>> never read, or like Lewis Carroll, whom I have. Zeesh.
>>
>> Apparently I'm like James Joyce!
>>
>> I wish...

>Unfortunately people who write like James Joyce are unlikely to get thier
>novels published nowadays. Better to write like Janet Evanovich who sells
>well. <G>Take care

Indeed, AIUI Joyce only managed to get published because he had a
small but ardent coterie of fans who were willing to fund him.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 19, 2010, 5:55:48 PM7/19/10
In article <GbydnT_M2taPXtnR...@giganews.com>,

Stanley Moore <smoo...@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Pogonip" <nob...@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>> Dave in Toronto wrote:
>>> You guys and gals might get a charge out of this. Put a sample of
>>> you're writing in and find out what famous writer you resemble. I
>>> apparently I write like Vladimir Nabokov'
>>>
>>> http://iwl.me/
>>>
>>> Dave in Toronto
>>
>> And I write like Stephen King, a writer I do not read, having attempted
>> one book and wound up throwing it across the room. So I am puzzled.
>> --
>
>Talk about writers I do not read. I never heard of this guy. I put in the
>first three pages of my novel in progress and it says I wrtie like:
>
>David Foster Wallace !!!
>
>Who is he? I never heard of him. Is this good or bad?

Wikipedia

#include <grainofsalt.std>

says,

"David Foster Wallace (February 21, 1962 - September 12, 2008) was
an American author of novels, essays, and short stories, and a
professor at Pomona College in Claremont, California. He was
widely known for his 1996 novel Infinite Jest, which Time
included in its All-Time 100 Greatest Novels list (covering the
period 1923-2006).

A lit'ry type, in other words. I haven't read him either. I had
heard of Cory Doctorow, who writes some SF, though I haven't read

Stanley Moore

Jul 19, 2010, 6:23:08 PM7/19/10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Foster_Wallace

Dave in Toronto

Thanks. Maybe I should get busy and finish the book. The problem is that as
I went further and furhter through my first chapter I began to resemble
James Joyce and then Dan Brown. This last result doesn't bode well for
writing success. Take care
--
Stanley L. Moore

Stanley Moore

Jul 19, 2010, 6:41:02 PM7/19/10

"Dorothy J Heydt" <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote in message

As a young boy rummaging trhiough my parents' bookshelves I ran across a
copy of Ulysses by James Joyce. The foreword was by Bennett Cerf whoim I
know as a panelist on What's My Line? (showing my age here) not as the
famous editor of Random House. Anyway he wrote how hard it was to get
published in the US because of its alleged obscenity. So I spent many
furtive hours paging through it trying to find the dirty parts. <G> Problem
was I couldn't understand half the words, didn't understand all the
allusions to Dublin's underbelly, the slangy Irish dialogue for a 12 or 12
year old boy was dense, and it wasn't even very risque in the first place.
The dirtiest part I can recall at this date nearly 50 yeears on is about a
guy, Stephen Bloom, I think, urinating and scrathching his armpit which I
had to look up since he called it an "axillary area". A waste of my
valuable childhood. Heh heh.

I put in parts of my first chapter of my police-procedural-slash-thriller
book and got David Foster Wallace, DFW, James Joyce and finally Dan Brown.
Looks like I am a fast starter who rapidly degenerates <G>. I really do need
to get back on it as that was my prime goal as part of my retirement.

Stanley Moore

Jul 19, 2010, 7:26:14 PM7/19/10

"Dave in Toronto" <dmatt...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Foster_Wallace

Dave in Toronto

Post modern literature and hysterical realism. Not exactly what I would like
to be known for <G>
Also he used jumbled sentences.Take care
--
Stanley L. Moore

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 19, 2010, 7:16:26 PM7/19/10
In article <svWdnd2_lMQNSdnR...@giganews.com>,

I read it as a senior in high school. So I understood a little
more of it maybe, but not much. The only part that sticks in my
mind now is the scene in the brothel where the prostitute Bella
suddenly turns into a man named Bello, and the protagonist turns
into a woman, and Bello abuses him/her the way men have been
known to abuse women (verbally, physically, what not). A way of
saying "How would you like it if it were YOU on the receiving
end?" or so it seemed to me at the time. I still didn't think
much of it and still don't.

Dave in Toronto

Jul 19, 2010, 8:10:30 PM7/19/10
On Jul 19, 7:26 pm, "Stanley Moore" <smoor...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Dave in Toronto" <dmatthew...@sympatico.ca> wrote in messagenews:19174dde-1765-4ac1...@i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

A couple more interesting developments - The free e-book you can get
is - Short Story Writing: A Practical Treatise on the Art of the Short
Story By Charles Raymond Barrett, Ph. B. - This might be an
interesting read on its own merits - it is also available from
Gutenburg - but it was first published in 1900 and I would think its
advice might be slightly outdated now.

My sentence - "The boy stood on the burning deck" came up with the
name Neil Gaiman - another writer I've never heard of but he does
exist - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Gaiman

I have a feeling we are not the only ones having fun with this.

Dave in Toronto

Stanley Moore

Jul 19, 2010, 8:12:56 PM7/19/10

"Dorothy J Heydt" <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote in message

I am not sure when it was published in the USA but maybe scenes as you
describe was what made it "obscene". I thick Joyce's cachet was that he was
not very understandable to the average person and folks pretended to
understand him.

Reminds me of a scene in a DL Sayers book wher Inspector Parker I think
tells Lord Peter about a play he'h seen that had lines that made one wonder
whether the Lord Chancellor had a dirty mind or he did. Something like that.
Britain had censorship and I think writers had to disguise teh naughty parts
of their work. Take care

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 19, 2010, 8:55:54 PM7/19/10
In article <-tqdnV-WBdRvdtnR...@giganews.com>,
Oh, there were bits in there that were considered naughty at the
time, no question about it.

>Reminds me of a scene in a DL Sayers book wher Inspector Parker I think
>tells Lord Peter about a play he'h seen that had lines that made one wonder
>whether the Lord Chancellor had a dirty mind or he did. Something like that.

The only censorship on the part of the Lord Chancellor that I
know about was the ruling that no member of the Holy Trinity
could be represented on stage. Sayers got away with writing _The
Man Born to be King_ because she wrote it for radio, not for the
stage.

>Britain had censorship and I think writers had to disguise teh naughty parts
>of their work.

Well, not only in Britain. I'm minded mostly of the voluntary
(on the part of the editorial staff) censorship in _Astounding
Science Fiction_ during its classic years, imposed not so much by
the editor, John Campbell, but by his assistant, Kay Tarrant.
It became a game played by the authors to try to sneak a double-entendre
past her. Some successful examples were Damon Knight's "Cabin
Boy," whose protagonist circumnavigated the skipper, and one of
the Venus Equilateral stories by George O. Smith, where reference
was made to a ball-bearing mousetrap.

(A tomcat.)

Ian

Jul 19, 2010, 9:34:32 PM7/19/10
On 7/18/2010 11:07 PM, Dave in Toronto wrote:
> You guys and gals might get a charge out of this. Put a sample of
> you're writing in and find out what famous writer you resemble. I
> apparently I write like Vladimir Nabokov'
>
> http://iwl.me/
>
> Dave in Toronto

Well, silly as the site might be, it says I write like Margaret Atwood.

I have not read her in years, so I don't know what to think of that - if
anything!

Ian

family

Jul 20, 2010, 12:17:15 AM7/20/10
Himself writes like the Canadian, Jewish, Communist;
*Cory Doctorow*

http://iwl.me/

needles

Jul 20, 2010, 1:16:25 AM7/20/10
I write like Stephen King.

http://iwl.me/

curmudgeon

Jul 20, 2010, 1:57:18 AM7/20/10

It would appear that I write like;
Ursula K.Le Guin.

http://iwl.me/

Message has been deleted

Stanley Moore

Jul 20, 2010, 12:45:26 PM7/20/10

"needles" <brit...@bresnan.net> wrote in message

>I write like Stephen King.
>

> http://iwl.me/

Try another piece of text. I did it 4 times and got 3 different writers I
resemble. Interestiong toy but not very useful.

Lauradog

Jul 20, 2010, 8:16:17 PM7/20/10
On 7/18/2010 10:07 PM, Dave in Toronto wrote:
> You guys and gals might get a charge out of this. Put a sample of
> you're writing in and find out what famous writer you resemble. I
> apparently I write like Vladimir Nabokov'
>
> http://iwl.me/
>
> Dave in Toronto
Apparently I write like Kurt Vonnegut.
Sue D.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 20, 2010, 8:37:42 PM7/20/10
In article <8amsig...@mid.individual.net>,

Lauradog <laur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 7/18/2010 10:07 PM, Dave in Toronto wrote:
>> You guys and gals might get a charge out of this. Put a sample of
>> you're writing in and find out what famous writer you resemble. I
>> apparently I write like Vladimir Nabokov'
>>
>> http://iwl.me/
>>
>Apparently I write like Kurt Vonnegut.

Do you feel all right?

No, seriously. Vonnegut was *SERIOUSLY* disturbed, having been
a POW in Dresden when it was firestormed.

Please take care of yourself.

Ian

Jul 20, 2010, 9:06:04 PM7/20/10
On 7/20/2010 12:45 PM, Stanley Moore wrote:
> "needles"<brit...@bresnan.net> wrote in message
>> I write like Stephen King.
>>

>> http://iwl.me/
>>

> Try another piece of text. I did it 4 times and got 3 different writers I
> resemble. Interestiong toy but not very useful.
> Take care

Hmmm, I always knew you had a split personality :-)

family

Jul 20, 2010, 9:30:04 PM7/20/10

"family" <brit...@bresnan.net> wrote in message

Himself writes like the Canadian, Jewish, Communist;
*Cory Doctorow*

http://iwl.me/

All the more strange when you realize that Himself is writing a mystery
novel with the working title Victimless Crime.
It centers around a retired part time Sleuth, who is a mix of Thomas Banacek
and Jonathan Creek.
The hero is able to solve very perplexing locked room mysteries, that the
victims do not wish either the public at large to know about, nor do they
wish the media to report about.
The hero is very working class with a strong left of center take on things,
which gives him a strong disapproving slant on the country club elite.
His somewhat cynical approach to life, is made even more confusing, because
he is very well read and quite articulate, and teaches Sunday School at his
local Church.
Then midweek he lectures about Philosophy at his local Community College.
Now does this sound like a character that Cory Doctorow would come up with.

"Screw the rules and the rules will multiply"

family

Jul 20, 2010, 9:46:42 PM7/20/10
"family" <brit...@bresnan.net> wrote in message

Himself writes like *Cory Doctorow*

Herself writes like *William Gibson*

http://iwl.me/

Pogonip

Jul 20, 2010, 10:06:52 PM7/20/10

kat >^.^< in Rhinelander

Jul 20, 2010, 11:52:11 PM7/20/10
Hmm. Recap of an incident that happened during the Civil War, dark humor.
Stephen King. I was holding out for Douglas Adams.
Tried again, same paper, dull statements, different paragraphs. Dan Brown.
Ick.
I tried again, with a very unfinished section of the SAME paper.
H.P.Lovecraft.
But it is consistent--if you c/p the same paragraphs a second time, you get
the same answer.
kat >^.^<
in Rhinelander

"family" <brit...@bresnan.net> wrote in message

Francis A. Miniter

Jul 21, 2010, 11:15:40 AM7/21/10
Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <8amsig...@mid.individual.net>,
> Lauradog <laur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/18/2010 10:07 PM, Dave in Toronto wrote:
>>> You guys and gals might get a charge out of this. Put a sample of
>>> you're writing in and find out what famous writer you resemble. I
>>> apparently I write like Vladimir Nabokov'
>>>
>>> http://iwl.me/
>>>
>> Apparently I write like Kurt Vonnegut.
>
> Do you feel all right?
>
> No, seriously. Vonnegut was *SERIOUSLY* disturbed, having been
> a POW in Dresden when it was firestormed.
>
> Please take care of yourself.

I have never heard that Vonnegut was mentally disturbed, at
least not more noticeably than the rest of us. He seems to
have had a reasonably normal family life. First marriage of
about 30 years, second for the rest of his life. He had a
son who had a psychotic break, but he himself did not.

His novels are deeply psychological, and are the better for
that. Mother Night may have been inspired by the life of
Ezra Pound, who was indeed insane, but that does not reflect
on Vonnegut himself.

--
Francis A. Miniter

In dem Lande der Pygmäen
gibt es keine Uniformen,
weder Abzeichen, noch irgend welche Normen,
Und Soldaten sind dort nicht zu sehen.

Siegfried von Vegesack, "Es gibt keine Uniformen"
from In dem Lande der Pygmäen

Phyllis Stone

Jul 21, 2010, 11:21:07 AM7/21/10

"Lauradog" <laur...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I love Kurt Vonnegut. He was funny and quirky and seriously sad all at the
same time. He would be my number one guest at one of those imaginary dinner
parties you guys used to talk about here.

Annie C

Jul 21, 2010, 3:37:33 PM7/21/10

"Francis A. Miniter" <fami...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> In article <8amsig...@mid.individual.net>,
>> Lauradog <laur...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Apparently I write like Kurt Vonnegut.
>>
>> Do you feel all right?
>>
>> No, seriously. Vonnegut was *SERIOUSLY* disturbed, having been
>> a POW in Dresden when it was firestormed.
>>
>> Please take care of yourself.
>>

> I have never heard that Vonnegut was mentally disturbed, at least not more
> noticeably than the rest of us. He seems to have had a reasonably normal
> family life. First marriage of about 30 years, second for the rest of his
> life. He had a son who had a psychotic break, but he himself did not.
>
> His novels are deeply psychological, and are the better for that. Mother
> Night may have been inspired by the life of Ezra Pound, who was indeed
> insane, but that does not reflect on Vonnegut himself.
>
> --
> Francis A. Miniter

I read too that his mother committed suicide in May1944, before he became a
POW in Dec. the same year. Who knows what effect those things had on him,
plus living though the nightmare that was the Dresden firebombings while a
captive. Dunno.. Perhaps writing was the best therapy.. I've frequently
heard writers say that their work is their salvation and how they deal with
life and trauma.. Always felt his writings were inspired, did not sense
madness.. Sensed sadness, yes, and appreciated the irony he applied to get
the point across.... One of my favorite writers of all time.

Annie

Wes Struebing

Jul 21, 2010, 9:32:49 PM7/21/10
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:54:39 +0100, Richard Burke <n...@emails.please>
wrote:

>In article <L5sL4...@kithrup.com>,
> djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

>> >And I write like Stephen King, a writer I do not read, having attempted
>> >one book and wound up throwing it across the room. So I am puzzled.
>>
>> Hm. I wouldn't mind writing like King: he makes lots of money.
>>
>> Instead, the thing said I write like Cory Doctorow, whom I've
>> never read, or like Lewis Carroll, whom I have. Zeesh.
>
>Apparently I'm like James Joyce!
>
>I wish...

So YOU ghost-wrote "Finnegins Wake"...

;-)
--

Wes Struebing
and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,

Wes Struebing

Jul 21, 2010, 9:40:27 PM7/21/10
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:12:40 -0500, "Joan in GB-W" <jjk...@aol.com>
wrote:

>"Dave in Toronto" <dmatt...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>> You guys and gals might get a charge out of this. Put a sample of
>> you're writing in and find out what famous writer you resemble. I
>> apparently I write like Vladimir Nabokov'
>>
>> http://iwl.me/
>>
>> Dave in Toronto
>

>I think that you submit influences the outcome. Duh . . . of course. But
>in my case I submitted the first two of three paragraphs of articles of mine
>published in Emerald Reflections (an Irish newsletter) in Milwaukee
>Wisconsin. Both of them came back . . . with a James Joyce reference. Hum
>. . . the articles were of an Irish nature and they came back with James
>Joyce.

Guess I'll never know. I don't have anything to submit. (unless I
can submit snippets of songs I've written)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

family

Jul 22, 2010, 2:46:07 PM7/22/10
Might be interesting to post the sample paragraph for RAM to evaluate.

Rik Shepherd

Jul 23, 2010, 9:34:47 AM7/23/10
Richard Burke wrote

> Or one of your RAM posts?!

I tried my last travelogue - the whole thing was redolent of the ubiquitous
David Foster Wallace or whoever; cut it in half and I'm not unlike Ernest
Hemingway.

An account of Mr Monkey visiting a photography exhibition at Manchester City
Art Gallery was apparently in the style of J.K. Rowling.

Message has been deleted

Fran Read

Jul 23, 2010, 7:05:46 PM7/23/10
>> An account of Mr Monkey visiting a photography exhibition at Manchester
>> City
>> Art Gallery was apparently in the style of J.K. Rowling.
>
> Well, I think we all know there's something magical about Mr Monkey...
> :o)

Hahaha!! You got in first Richard. I was just about to type something
similar. It would be lovely if Mr Monkey did the same thing to Rik's bank
account...
Fran

Wes Struebing

Jul 23, 2010, 7:48:03 PM7/23/10
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:01:34 +0100, Richard Burke <n...@emails.please>
wrote:

>In article <j98f46124ma7m5uhq...@4ax.com>,

> Wes Struebing <str...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Guess I'll never know. I don't have anything to submit. (unless I
>> can submit snippets of songs I've written)
>

>Or one of your RAM posts?!

I was hoping for something a little more coherent...<G>

Fran Read

Jul 25, 2010, 3:44:45 PM7/25/10
>>> Guess I'll never know. I don't have anything to submit. (unless I
>>> can submit snippets of songs I've written)
>>
>>Or one of your RAM posts?!
>>
> I was hoping for something a little more coherent...<G>
> Wes Struebing

Hahahaha!! (Pay a point please, Vicki. I enjoy a good snigger with my
breakfast!)
Fran