Anyone recall Big Little Books?

tobymax43

Oct 16, 2011, 11:01:55 PM10/16/11
I was in an antique dealer shop while vacationing in Maine along the
southeast coast - Kennebunk and Wells
region. Anyways this shop like 99 percent of all these dealer shops
had dealers selling books. Well I happened
to come across two hardcover Big Little Books. One was a Tarzan book
and the other was Popeye. The
books if you recall had text on one page and the opposite page was a
picture. Each book which were in horrible
shape (cover picture had flakes gone and the spine was hanging by a
thread along with dry pages) the books
were at 15 dollars each both published in 1967 and 1969(?).

I remember these as a child. I had the Popeye book. My fav was a story
based on Journey To The
Center of the Earth. I recall I had a Batman although I am not sure
how they got the rights from DC.

Sadly I had about 30 of these as a kid and my mom sold them all in a
yard sale in the early 1980s.

I know Whitman published these books along with comic books. Were the
artists of these BLB the same
artists who did the comics and is this why they are so expensive for
books in horrible shape? Were
there future big artists?

Is this all that Whitman did - children books and comics? I believe
they are out of business although
did anyone pick up the Big Little Books?

Jessie_C

Oct 16, 2011, 11:43:14 PM10/16/11
In article <709befc9-2317-4572...@o19g2000vbk.googlegroups.com>,
tob...@comcast.net says...
> I remember these as a child.

So do I. My strongest memory is that one of them was responsible for my
learning that 'island' is not pronounced 'is land'. IIRC, it was a Donald Duck
story. I think that mine were given to the kids across the street (also in the
early '80s).

djinn

Oct 16, 2011, 11:44:15 PM10/16/11
I had at least one Flash Gordon and one or two Buck Rodgers.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Oct 16, 2011, 11:50:35 PM10/16/11
I believe Whitman had the trademark on "Big Little Books", but several
publishers used the same general format.

I'm looking at _Popeye Danger, Ahoy_ (octopus on the cover) right
now, which is a Whitman BLB from 1969 in which era the BLBs had
soft covers rather than board covers.

As to how they did Batman, same way they did Popeye: paid for the right.
_Danger Ahoy_ says copyright 1969 by King Features Syndicate, so Whitman
had no ownership of the property. Also, the book credited to "Paul S. Newman"
which is not a name I've ever heard associated with Popeye, so presumably
the books were not done by the comic strip team. (Though with a character
like Batman, there are quite a few artists who have done him over the years,
and they certainly wouldn't be ruled out for a BLB..)

Mark Evanier did a long article on the tangled history of Whitman/Western
Publishing several years ago. It may be on line somewhere, but it appears
from Wikipedia that eventually the Whitman properties were absorbed by
Random House.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Kurt Busiek

Oct 17, 2011, 12:25:56 AM10/17/11
On 2011-10-16 20:50:35 -0700, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) said:

> I'm looking at _Popeye Danger, Ahoy_ (octopus on the cover) right
> now, which is a Whitman BLB from 1969 in which era the BLBs had
> soft covers rather than board covers.
>
> _Danger Ahoy_ says copyright 1969 by King Features Syndicate, so Whitman
> had no ownership of the property. Also, the book credited to "Paul S. Newman"
> which is not a name I've ever heard associated with Popeye, so presumably
> the books were not done by the comic strip team.

Paul S. Newman was a hugely prolific comic book writer -- listed in
Guinness at the most prolific comics writer in history, and there are
very, very few names that might challenge that achievement -- as well
as a writer of things like BLBs, and likely wrote Popeye comics for
Western, at least.

kdb
--
Visit http://www.busiek.com -- for all your Busiek needs!

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Oct 17, 2011, 12:46:08 AM10/17/11
Huh. Interesting. I thought I knew something about Popeye, and comic books,
but that's not a name I ever heard.

I stand corrected!

erilar

Oct 17, 2011, 3:39:33 PM10/17/11
They go a lot further back than the 1960's. I remember them from the
1940's.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

John Briggs

Oct 17, 2011, 7:49:39 PM10/17/11
On 17/10/2011 20:39, erilar wrote:
> They go a lot further back than the 1960's. I remember them from the
> 1940's.

If you can remember the 1940s, you aren't really here...
--
John Briggs

erilar

Oct 17, 2011, 7:55:26 PM10/17/11
In article <ta3nq.1180$z92....@newsfe07.ams2>,
Wanna bet? 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 17, 2011, 8:40:55 PM10/17/11
In article <ta3nq.1180$z92....@newsfe07.ams2>,
John Briggs <john.b...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
I remember the late 1940s (born 1942). Not much about them, but
I do remember my parents sitting up in bed on the first Monday in
November, 1948, marking their sample ballots ... to vote for
Dewey ....

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Joy Beeson

Oct 17, 2011, 9:41:47 PM10/17/11
On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 00:49:39 +0100, John Briggs
<john.b...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> If you can remember the 1940s, you aren't really here...

Where is here that I'm not there?

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Message has been deleted

Pogonip

Oct 17, 2011, 11:42:45 PM10/17/11
On 10/17/2011 5:40 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article<ta3nq.1180$z92....@newsfe07.ams2>,
> John Briggs<john.b...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> On 17/10/2011 20:39, erilar wrote:
>>> They go a lot further back than the 1960's. I remember them from the
>>> 1940's.
>>
>> If you can remember the 1940s, you aren't really here...
>
> I remember the late 1940s (born 1942). Not much about them, but
> I do remember my parents sitting up in bed on the first Monday in
> November, 1948, marking their sample ballots ... to vote for
> Dewey ....

That was my first election activism - I stood on a street corner near
the polling place, handing out flyers for Harry Truman. I was 10.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com

Pogonip

Oct 17, 2011, 11:43:16 PM10/17/11
Oh, really? Then WTF am I?

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 18, 2011, 12:30:16 AM10/18/11
In article <4e9cf5b1$1...@news.bnb-lp.com>, Pogonip <nob...@nowhere.org> wrote:
>On 10/17/2011 5:40 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> In article<ta3nq.1180$z92....@newsfe07.ams2>,
>> John Briggs<john.b...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you can remember the 1940s, you aren't really here...
>>
>> I remember the late 1940s (born 1942). Not much about them, but
>> I do remember my parents sitting up in bed on the first Monday in
>> November, 1948, marking their sample ballots ... to vote for
>> Dewey ....
>>

>That was my first election activism - I stood on a street corner near
>the polling place, handing out flyers for Harry Truman. I was 10.

I would've been ... let's see, that was 1948, I would've been
six.

My first and only election activism was when I was in high school
and our Civics teacher (not one of my favorite people) insisted
that we take some part in the campaigning for the gubernatorial
election. So I visited the Democratic headquarters (mostly to
annoy my parents, I think) and got a bunch of posters for Pat
Brown (our current governor's father) and posted them. He won,
too, but I don't think I influenced the vote much.

Howard Brazee

Oct 18, 2011, 9:01:40 AM10/18/11
On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 20:43:16 -0700, Pogonip <nob...@nowhere.org>
wrote:

>> If you can remember the 1940s, you aren't really here...
>
>Oh, really? Then WTF am I?

There.

- James Madison

michael

Oct 18, 2011, 9:41:58 AM10/18/11
On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 07:01:40 -0600, Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net>
wrote:

>>> If you can remember the 1940s, you aren't really here...
>>
>>Oh, really? Then WTF am I?
>
>There.

Then what's on second?

Will in New Haven

Oct 18, 2011, 11:33:34 AM10/18/11
On Oct 17, 8:40 pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
> In article <ta3nq.1180$z92.1...@newsfe07.ams2>,
> John Briggs  <john.brig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >On 17/10/2011 20:39, erilar wrote:
> >> They go a lot further back than the 1960's.  I remember them from the
> >> 1940's.
>
> >If you can remember the 1940s, you aren't really here...
>
> I remember the late 1940s (born 1942).  Not much about them, but
> I do remember my parents sitting up in bed on the first Monday in
> November, 1948, marking their sample ballots ... to vote for
> Dewey ....

My earliest memory is from the forties also, I remember thinking my
new brother was going to be a pain. He was already taking attention
away from the two-year-old ME. And our dog Bumpy would growl at me if
I approached him, Bumpy who had been my protector companion and
friend. I guess she knew what I was planning.

While there was no election going on, the date for this had to be June
1947.

--
Will in New Haven

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 18, 2011, 12:09:53 PM10/18/11
In article <d1cebff3-59cd-4fc6...@y39g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
Wow. And you remember that from age two? Must have impressed
you deeply.

I have an image in my mind that I think may have come from
something like two. It's the back courtyard of a house or an
apartment complex, perhaps where we lived. It's notable for its
very bright colors: deep blue sky, deep adobe-colored buildings,
and something else that was bright orange, I don't know what.

Nancy2

Oct 18, 2011, 1:15:19 PM10/18/11
I have some on my bookshelf. Yes, 40s and 50s.

N.

Nancy2

Oct 18, 2011, 1:16:22 PM10/18/11
Uh, I'm standing up to be counted! I thought it was the 70s that
people missed. LOL.

N.

Nancy2

Oct 18, 2011, 1:18:11 PM10/18/11
On Oct 18, 11:09 am, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
> In article <d1cebff3-59cd-4fc6-9314-d8d27330b...@y39g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
> Kithrup's all spammy and hotmail's been hacked.- Hide quoted text -

I was born in 1941, and I remember lots of the 40s - we lived on a
farm; moved to Miami....lots and lots of memories.

N.

John Briggs

Oct 18, 2011, 1:26:08 PM10/18/11
On 18/10/2011 18:16, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Oct 17, 6:49 pm, John Briggs<john.brig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> On 17/10/2011 20:39, erilar wrote:
>>
>>> They go a lot further back than the 1960's. I remember them from the
>>> 1940's.
>>
>> If you can remember the 1940s, you aren't really here...
>
> Uh, I'm standing up to be counted! I thought it was the 70s that
> people missed. LOL.

<psst!> 1960s
--
John Briggs

none Chuk Goodin

Oct 18, 2011, 2:10:42 PM10/18/11
tobymax43 <tob...@comcast.net> wrote:
>Sadly I had about 30 of these as a kid and my mom sold them all in a
>yard sale in the early 1980s.

I had several as a kid in the mid-70s. Mine were all soft-cover. I
definitely remember a Donald Duck one with a villain who could mold
stone with his very strong hands, and I think some kind of Marvel
super-hero one? Maybe Fantastic Four? I'll have to look for a list
somewhere.

chuk

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 18, 2011, 2:18:49 PM10/18/11
In article <55c0854e-a394-4405...@u13g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>,
Of course, you have to define "miss" -- do you mean "remember
with nostalgia," or "somehow manage to avoid altogether"? I
missed the 1970s in the second sense, because I was raising
little children and my memory of practically everything in that
decade is a blank, suppressed because too painful to recall.
Raising little children is hell.

erilar

Oct 18, 2011, 3:30:48 PM10/18/11
In article
<6159b8df-5b4b-4d2e...@a12g2000vbz.googlegroups.com>,
Nancy2 <ellor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was born in 1941, and I remember lots of the 40s - we lived on a
> farm; moved to Miami....lots and lots of memories.

Still a youngster. I was born in 1934. We lived in the same house most
of my pre-school years, so I can't say how far back my memories go
because they all involve the same house and yard. I remember the 1940's
QUITE well, at any rate; I was in high school before they were over.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

Will in New Haven

Oct 18, 2011, 3:58:21 PM10/18/11
"The Sixties," the way most people mean it, really didn't begin until
well after 1960 or end until some time in the calendar 1970s.

Some date the beginning as November, 1963 and some say the summer of
1967. Other dates are occasionally proposed. The end date differs
beteen various people. If they didn't end before the summer of 1974
they probably haven't ended. I moved to New Haven for the summer of
1974 and never left. So it's still the summer of 1974.

--
Will in New Haven
"When I'm six feet underground, I'll need a drink or two, and I'll

Bill Snyder

Oct 18, 2011, 3:58:04 PM10/18/11
On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 12:58:21 -0700 (PDT), Will in New Haven
<bill....@taylorandfrancis.com> wrote:

>On Oct 18, 1:26 pm, John Briggs <john.brig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> > Uh, I'm standing up to be counted!  I thought it was the 70s that
>> > people missed.  LOL.
>>
>> <psst!> 1960s
>
>"The Sixties," the way most people mean it, really didn't begin until
>well after 1960 or end until some time in the calendar 1970s.
>
>Some date the beginning as November, 1963 and some say the summer of
>1967. Other dates are occasionally proposed. The end date differs
>beteen various people. If they didn't end before the summer of 1974
>they probably haven't ended. I moved to New Haven for the summer of
>1974 and never left. So it's still the summer of 1974.

Bah, then how did we get to September of 1993?

--
Bill Snyder [This space unintentionally left blank]

Will in New Haven

Oct 18, 2011, 4:01:26 PM10/18/11
On Oct 18, 12:09 pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
> In article <d1cebff3-59cd-4fc6-9314-d8d27330b...@y39g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
> Will in New Haven  <bill.re...@taylorandfrancis.com> wrote:
>

> >On Oct 17, 8:40 pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

> >> I remember the late 1940s (born 1942).  Not much about them, but
> >> I do remember my parents sitting up in bed on the first Monday in
> >> November, 1948, marking their sample ballots ... to vote for
> >> Dewey ....
>
> >My earliest memory is from the forties also, I remember thinking my
> >new brother was going to be a pain. He was already taking attention
> >away from the two-year-old ME. And our dog Bumpy would growl at me if
> >I approached him, Bumpy who had been my protector companion and
> >friend. I guess she knew what I was planning.
>
> >While there was no election going on, the date for this had to be June
> >1947.
>
> Wow.  And you remember that from age two?  Must have impressed
> you deeply.

My brother brought home a nose sticking out of a blanket and I stopped
being the center of the universe. How could I forget THAT?

> I have an image in my mind that I think may have come from
> something like two.  It's the back courtyard of a house or an
> apartment complex, perhaps where we lived.  It's notable for its
> very bright colors: deep blue sky, deep adobe-colored buildings,
> and something else that was bright orange, I don't know what.

I have memories like that from 1966-68, at least teh colors.

John Briggs

Oct 18, 2011, 4:07:25 PM10/18/11
Which now seems like a Golden Age, of course...
--
John Briggs

Dorothy J Heydt

Oct 18, 2011, 5:10:44 PM10/18/11
In article <0654f5a6-b2bc-49a5...@w1g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
Will in New Haven <bill....@taylorandfrancis.com> wrote:
>On Oct 18, 1:26 pm, John Briggs <john.brig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> > Uh, I'm standing up to be counted!  I thought it was the 70s that
>> > people missed.  LOL.
>>
>> <psst!> 1960s
>
>"The Sixties," the way most people mean it, really didn't begin until
>well after 1960 or end until some time in the calendar 1970s.
>
>Some date the beginning as November, 1963 and some say the summer of
>1967. Other dates are occasionally proposed. The end date differs
>beteen various people. If they didn't end before the summer of 1974
>they probably haven't ended. I moved to New Haven for the summer of
>1974 and never left. So it's still the summer of 1974.

I'd probably call it fall of 1961, when I left home to go to UCB.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Oct 18, 2011, 6:39:21 PM10/18/11
In article <Cijnq.7702$6G4...@newsfe01.iad>,
Are you sure that was Donald Duck? I thought it was "Tom & Jerry" who met
Mr. Fingers. google, google -- Yep: http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=568001

There definitely was a Fantastic Four one as well.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Pogonip

Oct 18, 2011, 9:12:34 PM10/18/11
You were there, too? What color was your aura?

Kurt Busiek

Oct 18, 2011, 9:16:34 PM10/18/11
On 2011-10-18 15:39:21 -0700, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) said:

> There definitely was a Fantastic Four one as well.

More than one. I recall one that had a villain who disintegrated stuff,
and the Invisible Girl beat him, using the logic that "You can't
disappear something that's disappeared already!"

Which makes no sense and is bad grammar besides.

kdb
--
Visit http://www.busiek.com -- for all your Busiek needs!

Pogonip

Oct 18, 2011, 9:52:44 PM10/18/11
On 10/18/2011 12:58 PM, Will in New Haven wrote:

> "The Sixties," the way most people mean it, really didn't begin until
> well after 1960 or end until some time in the calendar 1970s.
>
> Some date the beginning as November, 1963 and some say the summer of
> 1967. Other dates are occasionally proposed. The end date differs
> beteen various people. If they didn't end before the summer of 1974
> they probably haven't ended. I moved to New Haven for the summer of
> 1974 and never left. So it's still the summer of 1974.
>
> --
> Will in New Haven
> "When I'm six feet underground, I'll need a drink or two, and I'll
> still miss yuh."
> Drive-By Truckers - "Women Without Whiskey"

Hmmmm. I think the 60s started about late 1959 for me, and continued
through the 60s, slightly into the 70s. But the best part ended in 1968
when I left Sausalito. As far as I can remember, that is.
Message has been deleted

David DeLaney

Oct 19, 2011, 3:39:43 AM10/19/11
Bill Snyder <bsn...@airmail.net> wrote:
>Will in New Haven <bill....@taylorandfrancis.com> wrote:
>>"The Sixties," the way most people mean it, really didn't begin until
>>well after 1960 or end until some time in the calendar 1970s.
>>
>>Some date the beginning as November, 1963 and some say the summer of
>>1967. Other dates are occasionally proposed. The end date differs
>>beteen various people. If they didn't end before the summer of 1974
>>they probably haven't ended. I moved to New Haven for the summer of
>>1974 and never left. So it's still the summer of 1974.

"Lasnerian" (tm).

>Bah, then how did we get to September of 1993?

The question, rather, is will we ever get out of it?

Dave "as the lamb lies down" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Nancy2

Oct 19, 2011, 6:29:29 PM10/19/11
Wha?,,,, oh....

N.

Nancy2

Oct 19, 2011, 6:30:24 PM10/19/11
On Oct 18, 1:18 pm, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
> In article <55c0854e-a394-4405-bbad-cdd3d9085...@u13g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>,
LOL. I was meaning "missed," as in smoking too much of those left-
handed cigarettes (or otherwise bending one's mind).

N.

Robert Carnegie

Oct 19, 2011, 7:17:50 PM10/19/11
On Oct 19, 2:16 am, Kurt Busiek <k...@busiek.com> wrote:
> On 2011-10-18 15:39:21 -0700, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) said:
>
> > There definitely was a Fantastic Four one as well.
>
> More than one. I recall one that had a villain who disintegrated stuff,
> and the Invisible Girl beat him, using the logic that "You can't
> disappear something that's disappeared already!"
>
> Which makes no sense and is bad grammar besides.

Hey, that wouldn't be The Living Eraser?

I guess not. Never mind.

But surprisingly little in early Fantastic Four stories makes sense,
anyway. I think the first time the Human Torch is seen flying over
New York City, before they go public, there's a prompt military
response... they launch a nuclear missile. At the city, basically.

1961 was a different t ime, and an era of great goofiness in comics
didn't stop dead.

Hey, did the issue ever come up of all the absestos the Torch's
enemies used to defend themselves from him?

Gene Wirchenko

Oct 21, 2011, 11:46:14 AM10/21/11
On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 12:58:21 -0700 (PDT), Will in New Haven
<bill....@taylorandfrancis.com> wrote:

>On Oct 18, 1:26 pm, John Briggs <john.brig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> On 18/10/2011 18:16, Nancy2 wrote:

[snip]

>> > Uh, I'm standing up to be counted!  I thought it was the 70s that
>> > people missed.  LOL.
>>
>> <psst!> 1960s
>
>"The Sixties," the way most people mean it, really didn't begin until
>well after 1960 or end until some time in the calendar 1970s.

I thought I was born in the Sixties, but no, it was November 5,
1960. (Do not celebrate Guy Fawkes Day; celebrate Gene Day. Coming
soon!)

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

none Chuk Goodin

Oct 24, 2011, 4:26:18 PM10/24/11
In article <9g6dgp...@mid.individual.net>,
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>none) (Chuk Goodin <chuk@opal.> wrote:
>>I had several as a kid in the mid-70s. Mine were all soft-cover. I
>>definitely remember a Donald Duck one with a villain who could mold
>>stone with his very strong hands, and I think some kind of Marvel
>>super-hero one? Maybe Fantastic Four? I'll have to look for a list
>>somewhere.
>
>Are you sure that was Donald Duck? I thought it was "Tom & Jerry" who met
>Mr. Fingers. google, google -- Yep: http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=568001

Well, I guess I don't definitely remember it. :-) That's certainly the
one I was thinking of. Feels more like a Donald Duck comic than a T&J
cartoon (I never read any T&J comics, unless you count that one.)

Found a page here that lists many titles which jog my memory. There is a
Fantastic Four one on there, several Donald Ducks (one of which reminded
me of the little animations they had in the corner of the page), and
others. I remember the Spider-Man one.
http://www.biglittlebooks.com/listings/Whitman-5700SeriesBLBs.htm

chuk

Phyllis BB

Oct 24, 2011, 8:34:08 PM10/24/11
They go further back than the '40s because I recall them from my
childhood in the '30s. At least one featured Shirley Temple in one of
her movie stories.

I think if I dug through the hall bookcases i'd find a couple BLBs.
They do bring or at least ask a high price for a book that cost maybe a
quarter brand new.

Piliki remembering BLBs in the toy chest.

Joan in GB-W

Oct 25, 2011, 2:56:55 PM10/25/11
We have discussed the Big Little Books for a bit now - AND -
Now I am bringing up the Little Leather Library.

I have 32 of these books - purchased by my mother 70 - 80 (?) years or so
ago. They measure 3 1/4 x 4 inches and contain poetry and the classics. I
just grabbed four from my pile - they came with little bookends and I am now
looking at: The Tempest by Shakespeare, Speeches and Letters by George
Washington, Courtship of Miles Standish by Longfellow, and Friendship and
Other Essays by Henry Thoreau.

Do any of the RAMmers have a collection of them, or remember them?

Joan

William December Starr

Oct 26, 2011, 11:44:07 PM10/26/11
Will in New Haven <bill....@taylorandfrancis.com> said:

> "The Sixties," the way most people mean it, really didn't begin
> until well after 1960 or end until some time in the calendar
> 1970s.
>
> Some date the beginning as November, 1963 and some say the summer
> of 1967. Other dates are occasionally proposed. The end date
> differs beteen various people. If they didn't end before the
> summer of 1974 they probably haven't ended. I moved to New Haven
> for the summer of 1974 and never left. So it's still the summer of
> 1974.

I'd say the 1960s ran from November 22, 1963 through August 9, 1974,
the day that Nixon was officially run out of Washington (and there
was great rejoicing). I know they sure as hell didn't make it past
September 8, 1974, when we learned that being President means that
the law can't touch you.

-- wds

Message has been deleted

Thelma Lubkin

Oct 27, 2011, 9:12:14 AM10/27/11
Mike Burke <mbu...@pcug.org.au> wrote:
: On 26 Oct 2011 23:44:07 -0400, wds...@panix.com (William December
: Starr) wrote:

: >I'd say the 1960s ran from November 22, 1963 through August 9, 1974,
: >the day that Nixon was officially run out of Washington (and there
: >was great rejoicing). I know they sure as hell didn't make it past
: >September 8, 1974, when we learned that being President means that
: >the law can't touch you.

: If the situation in the US is the same as in most other western
: democracies, including Australia, it's not so much that the law can't
: touch political leaders, whether Presidents or Prime Ministers or
: whatever, but more that there is never likely to be sufficient
: political will among those with the power to initiate actions to bring
: such leaders to account for their real or imagined crimes.

I quibble: you provide an explanation of why

"being President means that the law can't touch you"

This doesn't negate it.

A law that can't be applied can't be enforced. As to the
possibility that someday the 'political will' gets exerted,
that's less likely than the possibility that someday the laws
enabling accountability die.

--thelma

Mique

Walter Bushell

Oct 27, 2011, 9:28:22 AM10/27/11
In article <j8ak27$hts$1...@panix3.panix.com>,
wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote:

> September 8, 1974

A day that will live in infamy.

--
It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant
and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting. -- H. L. Mencken

Lynn McGuire

Oct 28, 2011, 3:07:53 PM10/28/11
On 10/27/2011 8:28 AM, Walter Bushell wrote:
> In article<j8ak27$hts$1...@panix3.panix.com>,
> wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote:
>
>> September 8, 1974
>
> A day that will live in infamy.

You don't want to put former presidents on trial.
Revolutions have been started for less.

Lynn

William December Starr

Oct 29, 2011, 10:12:43 AM10/29/11
In article <j8euih$3u6$1...@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> said:

[ re Ford pardoning Nixon ]

> You don't want to put former presidents on trial.

Unless they're lawfully indicted by a grand jury. (Regarding
federal crimes anyway; many (all?) states allow prosecutors to
indict on their own.)

> Revolutions have been started for less.

If the United States is _that_ fucking fragile, we may as well
_have_ a revolution.

-- wds

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Oct 29, 2011, 10:28:25 AM10/29/11
You say you want a revolution?

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Stanley Moore

Nov 4, 2011, 9:41:02 PM11/4/11

"William December Starr" <wds...@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <j8euih$3u6$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> said:
>
> [ re Ford pardoning Nixon ]
>
>> You don't want to put former presidents on trial.
>
> Unless they're lawfully indicted by a grand jury. (Regarding
> federal crimes anyway; many (all?) states allow prosecutors to
> indict on their own.)

The proverbial "ham sandwich"? Take care

--
Stanley L. Moore
"The belief in a supernatural

Robert Carnegie

Nov 5, 2011, 4:29:59 PM11/5/11
On Oct 29, 2:28 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> On 10/29/11 10:12 AM, William December Starr wrote:
>

> > In article<j8euih$3u...@dont-email.me>,
> > Lynn McGuire<l...@winsim.com>  said:
>
> > [ re Ford pardoning Nixon ]
>
> >> You don't want to put former presidents on trial.
>
> > Unless they're lawfully indicted by a grand jury.  (Regarding
> > federal crimes anyway; many (all?) states allow prosecutors to
> > indict on their own.)
>
> >> Revolutions have been started for less.
>
> > If the United States is _that_ fucking fragile, we may as well
> > _have_ a revolution.
>
>         You say you want a revolution?

Well.... you know.