History Mysteries

pamelaj...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2017, 4:31:59 AM9/26/17
I love history mysteries like Tasha Alexander, Bruce Alexander, James Benn, Anne Perry, the original Charlie Chan - Earl Derr Biggers, Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody Emerson, the great Kate Ross, Georges Simenon, Charles Todd, Jacqueline Winspear and other.

Can you list some mores for me?

Thanks, Pam

Francis A. Miniter

Sep 26, 2017, 8:04:07 PM9/26/17
I don't know anything about Jacqueline Winspear, but noticed today that
the Soho Mystery Series publish her works, and I have great respect for
their selections. Could you provide me some information about her style
and subject matter? Thank you.

Francis A. Miniter

Titus G

Sep 26, 2017, 11:14:11 PM9/26/17
On 26/09/17 21:31, pamelaj...@gmail.com wrote:
> I love history mysteries like Tasha Alexander, Bruce Alexander, James Benn, Anne Perry, the original Charlie Chan - Earl Derr Biggers, Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody Emerson, the great Kate Ross, Georges Simenon, Charles Todd, Jacqueline Winspear and other.
>
> Can you list some mores for me?

I know of few of those authors but I gave 5 stars to A Conspiracy of
Paper by David Liss and to Rustication and The Quincunx both by Charles
Palliser.

The David Liss book is a true historical mystery whereas the Palliser
books are set in previous times.

Nancy Spera

Sep 27, 2017, 8:11:45 AM9/27/17
On 9/26/2017 4:31 AM, pamelaj...@gmail.com wrote:
Have you tried Charles Finch's Charles Lenox mysteries
set in the 1860-70s England?

Also there is the Carpenter and Quincannon series by
Marcia Muller and Bill Pronzini set in 1890s San Franciso.
Looks like the next one is written only by Pronzini.

I found Ann Swinfen's medival Oxford series ok but not
as good as the Dame Frevisse books.

Nancy

---
http://www.avg.com

Nyssa

Sep 27, 2017, 9:07:18 AM9/27/17
I second the vote for the Dame Frevisse series. They're
set in 12th century England and are well-researched.

The Joliffe spin off series is set in the same time period,
but I didn't like it as much as the Frevisse, probably
because I didn't care for the traveling players setting
and Joliffe wasn't as likable a character as Frevisse.

It's a shame that the author's publisher pushed her for
more Joliffe and abandoned the more popular (with the
fans) Frevisse series. Now that she's gone, we won't be
getting more of either. RIP Gail.

And then there is always the classic Cadfael series by
Ellis Peters set in 11th century England.

Nyssa, who has read all three series and enjoyed the Frevisse
the most

Francis A. Miniter

Sep 27, 2017, 10:47:27 AM9/27/17
David Liss's novels are top rate historical pieces. Many of his
characters are actual historical figures, including the evil
thief-taker. If you read his novels, you will learn a lot about the
early days of capitalism in England, including how a coffee shop named
Lloyd's became the world's most famous insurer.

His novels have an economic bent to them. The Whiskey Rebels tells you
a lot about Hamilton and the early Treasury Department, taxation, etc.

Francis A. Miniter

Nancy Spera

Sep 27, 2017, 11:31:22 AM9/27/17
I might have to try the Cadfael series again. I know my parents
rarely missed it when it was on PBS.

I found a couple other ones in my archive.

Beverlee Graves Myers has a Baroque mystery series with Tito Amato
who is a singer. His anatomy was altered so he could continue
singing those high notes.

Also there is I.J.Parker's Akitada series set in 11th century
Japan. Very different.

pamelaj...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2017, 1:32:21 AM9/28/17
Winspear is British but now lives in the US as do a fair number British female authors (many following their professor husbands to universities in the US).

I very much enjoy her writing. It's smooth, clear and very informative. Her protagonist is Maisie Dobbs, who starts as a maid at the country house of a Duke and Duchess, I think. The titles seem to disappear over the years so I'm not sure.

The Duchess finds Maisie reading like a maniac in the library in the middle of the night and is delighted. On and on, Maisie attends Cambridge with timeout for WWI as an ambulance driver, finishing with a psychology degree. She studies with a man who essential works secret service for the UK, but she doesn't know that at the time.

She opens a private enquirer business, on and on, life getting more complicated.

I quite enjoy this series. I most decidedly do not like her standalone, "The Care and Management of Lies". It rather surprised me after her series, and I never finished it.

Pam

pamelaj...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2017, 1:53:50 AM9/28/17
I thought I posted to this but whatever...

I do read the Muller/Pronzini series. Muller has published a couple Sharon McCones lately which may explain Pronzini.

I've considered Charles Finch. Could you give me more information?

For y'all, I'm not much interested in anything earlier than say 1810. I'm willing to do only so much research for my curiosity.

Thanks, Pam

Nancy Spera

Sep 28, 2017, 8:59:20 AM9/28/17
I did finish her standalone but am in agreement about not liking it.

Nancy Spera

Sep 28, 2017, 9:16:30 AM9/28/17
A British who-done-it involving his friends, next door neighbor
and childhood friend Lady Grey, non-practicing doctor friend,
butler and his brother, a member of Parliament. First solving
mysteries for friends, then become known for solving to the point
that a Scotland Yard friend will allow him to help. Eventually
runs for office himself, serves in Parliament, etc.

If anyone else has read Charles Finch feel free to add on.

Nancy

art...@yahoo.com

Sep 28, 2017, 1:55:59 PM9/28/17
Robert Goddard

Carol Dickinson

Sep 28, 2017, 6:31:21 PM9/28/17

> I love history mysteries like Tasha Alexander, Bruce Alexander, James Benn, Anne Perry, the original Charlie Chan - Earl Derr Biggers, Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody Emerson, the great Kate Ross, Georges Simenon, Charles Todd, Jacqueline Winspear and other.
>
> Can you list some mores for me?
>
> Thanks, Pam

I do love Elizabeth Peters too. Most of my TBR list are historicals although not all are mysteries. Sharon Kay Penman, John Jakes and Edward Rutherford for instance.

But with a mystery theme -
Emily Brightwell
Rhys Bowen - Molly Murphy series
Fiona Buckley
Carole Nelson Douglas
Margaret Frazer - 2 series

Barbara Hambly - Benjamin January set in Louisiana before the civil war. He is a free black man, a doctor who must make his living as a musician. These are quite powerfully written, some based on actual events.

Peter Heck
Steve Hockensmith
Michael Jecks
Laurie King - Marry Russell (Mrs Sherlock Holmes) series
Sam McCarver
Owen Perry
Robin Paige
Victoria Thompson
Peter Tremayne
Steven Saylor
Laura Joh Rowland - I love these, set in 17th century Japan

Carol

Carol Dickinson

Sep 28, 2017, 6:34:29 PM9/28/17

> > Have you tried Charles Finch's Charles Lenox mysteries
> > set in the 1860-70s England?
> >
> > Also there is the Carpenter and Quincannon series by
> > Marcia Muller and Bill Pronzini set in 1890s San Franciso.
> > Looks like the next one is written only by Pronzini.
> >
> > I found Ann Swinfen's medival Oxford series ok but not
> > as good as the Dame Frevisse books.
> >
> > Nancy
>
> I second the vote for the Dame Frevisse series. They're
> set in 12th century England and are well-researched.
>
> The Joliffe spin off series is set in the same time period,
> but I didn't like it as much as the Frevisse, probably
> because I didn't care for the traveling players setting
> and Joliffe wasn't as likable a character as Frevisse.
>
> It's a shame that the author's publisher pushed her for
> more Joliffe and abandoned the more popular (with the
> fans) Frevisse series. Now that she's gone, we won't be
> getting more of either. RIP Gail

Ack! I didn't know she was gone. I too liked Frevisse better.
She included some of my ancestors in her series which made me
dig deeper into their lives. Spending time with Frevisse was
always a pleasure.

Carol

pamelaj...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2017, 4:19:00 AM9/29/17
I very much thank you. I had him on "maybe" list but I think I'll go for it.

Pam

pamelaj...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2017, 4:22:38 AM9/29/17
Wee, I'll have to save this. I do read a fair number of these, but also a fair number of authors are new to me.

Thanks, Pam

Francis A. Miniter

Sep 29, 2017, 7:44:56 PM9/29/17
On 9/28/2017 1:32 AM, pamelaj...@gmail.com wrote:
Thank you for the information, Pam.

Francis A. Miniter

Francis A. Miniter

Sep 29, 2017, 7:51:32 PM9/29/17
I have been very much enjoying Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma series.

I have read and enjoyed one of the Michael Jeck's books, as well.

Francis A. Miniter

Lj Roberts

Sep 30, 2017, 11:25:28 AM9/30/17
I just finished Andrew Taylor's book "The Ashes of London," and really enjoyed it. It's not so much about the fire as it is about murders taking place during the time of the Great Fire.

I also recently read:
Casualty of War - Charles Todd (WWI - VG)
The Devouring - James R. Benn (WWII - VG+)
Old Scores - Will Thomas (1980 - VG)
Betrayal in IGA - Susan Spann (16th Cent. Japan - VG+)
By My Hand - Maurizio de Giovanni (1931 Italy - Ex - I so love this series)
An Echo in Murder - Anne Perry (Monk-Victorian - VG+)

And I'm about to read:
Whisper of Death - Patricia Wynn (Georgian England - Another series I just love)

Happy reading,
LJ

pamelaj...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2017, 4:55:45 PM10/1/17
On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 4:31:21 PM UTC-6, Carol Dickinson wrote:
Thanks Carol and I do read quite a few on the list but will check out the rest.

Pam

pamelaj...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2017, 4:56:07 PM10/1/17
Thanks. The Maxted series looks very interesting.

Pam

pamelaj...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2017, 4:56:37 PM10/1/17
Thanks for these authors; at bit earlier than I usually go but quite tempting.

Pam

pamelaj...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2017, 7:02:47 PM10/11/17
I read a fair number of the books you listed. Thanks for info on the time the books are set. Susan Spann's books are set too early for me, but I have a question---given the setting 16th century Japan, has there been any mention of Japan occupying the Ryukyu Islands (Okinawa), preceding that century?

Thanks, Pam