Movies SO bad, you walked out of.....

EBA

Jul 2, 1994, 2:09:44 AM7/2/94
Pat Fisher (pmfi...@eskimo.com) wrote:
:
: I didn't walk out on it as I had rented it, but the movie was It's
: Alive 2. I thought the first one was bad, the second was horrible. I
: stopped the movie at least six times to regain my composure and and
: shake my head over and over.
: Don't get me wrong. I love bad movies, but this one just went over the
: top. The third installment was pretty good, to my surprise.
: Pat Fisher-

*******
There are a lot of interesting little things going on in It's Alive, most
of them Larry Cohen jokes, which may be an acquired taste.

First, there's the camera bouncing around, like some friendly beachball,
at eye level, giving an incongruously "cute" baby's-view perspective.

There are those little cooing sounds the baby makes, which your
subconscious plays off the earlier delivery room scene, in which the
newborn whateveritis has splattered all of the attending physicians and
nurses on the wall.

There are many, many "Boo!!!!!!" teasers: things tumbling out at you from
dark areas of the screen: cats jumping out of closets; a scene where two
detectives are emerging from an underground cavern, with what looks
like the baby's face -- or is it just some sort of fleshy patch, visible
over one's shoulder. The whateveritis is ALWAYS just about to leap
out at you.

The jokes start with the opening scene: The wife is going into labor at
home, while hubby agonizes over which necktie to wear to the hospital.

The running gag which ties everything together is a sort of "bad genes"
joke, always left (by Cohen) unsaid. The baby is obviously some sort of
freak; the husband seems to want to ascribe this unpleasant fact to his
wife's side of the family.

In the end, every cop and vigilante in L.A. is out tracking this cooing,
cuddly -- but sometimes awesomely destructive and deadly -- little
thing with assault rifles, baseball bats, or whatever. The husband joins
them, presumably to destroy this unspeakably horrible evidence of his
"bad" genes.

The father finds the baby just seconds before the vigilantes arrive. The
baby coos, and, in an instant, the father's maternal/paternal instincts
overwhelm him. He picks up the baby, cries out to the vigilantes, Don't
shoot, this is my little boy (or something to that effect), and swaddles
the little whateveritis (viewed, vaguely, as some sort of melon-headed
monster) in his arms. The vigilantes shout, Fuck you, if you don't
get out of the way, we're going to blow you both to smithereens.

The father hesitates for a moment, totes up the firepower; then, in one of
those magically baroque Larry Cohen moments, Dad chucks his nurturing
feelings -- and the little guy -- into an awesome lead fusillade.

Rent it again, and do drugs if that helps your concentration. Then try
some of Larry Cohen's other gems, the astoudingly (considering its
quality) low-budget "Q -- the Winged Serpent" and "Because God Told Me..."

Rick Ackerman

*******

Paula J. Vitaris

Jul 3, 1994, 2:20:18 AM7/3/94
The only two movies I ever walked out on were National Lampoon's
Class Reunion and that Hound of the Baskervilles with Dudley Moore
and Peter Cook.

-- Paula

Robert Bryan Lipton

Jul 3, 1994, 8:39:49 AM7/3/94
Three movies in my memory. Hitchcock's TOPAZE (original run. I rented it
a few months back and found it rather lackluster and confusingly
directed). About ten years ago I walked out on a horrible little comedy
called 'NIGHT PATROL' (the principal humor of which seemed to be the
lead character's name and the fact that Billy Barty was a midget (or
dwarf. I'm afraid I don't remember which he was classified as). This
year I walked out on COPS AND ROBBERSONS as a total waste of time.

Bob

William Silvey

Jul 4, 1994, 3:23:01 PM7/4/94
The only movie I ever walked out on was the ultra-abominable _Brain_Donors_.

]------------------------DESTROY ALL CUTE ANIME--------------------------[
]----------------I refuse to call Star Wars 'A New Hope!'----------------[
]The opinions expressed above, below, et al., are not those of Online----[
]Orlando. tHe mAstER wOulD NOt ApProVe.-| WRITE ME! wsi...@oo.com------[
]-Only Amiga made it possible!-And Commodore remidied THAT.--------------[

Pinky and the Brain

Jul 4, 1994, 2:33:19 PM7/4/94
Two Words
Naked Lunch

Barry Wright

Jul 4, 1994, 2:49:11 PM7/4/94
The recent film "Geronimo." Absolutely no redeeming qualities...

sh...@world.std.com "Anything for a weird life."
(Barry Wright) - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Damian Penny

Jul 3, 1994, 4:33:15 PM7/3/94
I've never actually walked out on a movie, but I almost left BAD GIRLS.
As well, there were a number of films that I just could not finish watching
on video, including JOE VERSUS THE VOLCANO and FOR THE BOYS. Ugh!
--
D A M I A N P E N N Y
-----...@ganymede.cs.mun.ca-----

Jason Aycock

Jul 5, 1994, 5:03:49 AM7/5/94
This is a little tangential, but who other than me has NEVER
walked out on a film? As a finance major I understand the
cost/benefit argument, most people's time is worth more than
the money spent seeing, say, *Frozen Assets.* But I've always felt
a need to give the filmmakers a chance. And besides, you're
there already, sitting in the theater...

Besides, if when I was 15 I walked on any film I was moderately
bored with at some point, I would have missed some great films.
I just can't leave...
Jason Aycock jas...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu

Adam Neil Villani

Jul 5, 1994, 12:21:33 PM7/5/94

Yeah, I've never walked out of a movie.

I've often walked out of a room where people were watching a video, but I don't
think that counts.

Yeah, like you said, "sunk costs"--- I've already invested my money, and even
if the movie is bad I want to see the whole thing so that I can give a bad
review to a movie with some degree of confidence.

--

Adam Villani
ad...@cco.caltech.edu

Eric Gross

Jul 5, 1994, 12:07:45 PM7/5/94
Star Trek V

Rob Furr

Jul 5, 1994, 12:40:38 PM7/5/94
The only movie I ever walked out on was _Edward Scissorhands_; I have
never seen a movie that insulted the moviegoer's intelligence quite as
much.

Eric Gross

Jul 5, 1994, 1:41:51 PM7/5/94

>The only movie I ever walked out on was _Edward Scissorhands_; I have
>never seen a movie that insulted the moviegoer's intelligence quite as
>much.

AGGGHHH!

You have to be kidding. Edward Scissorhands is a wonderful modern fairy tale
with great quirky characters and situations and certain very moving scenes.
How could anyone not sit through the death of Edward's creator (Vincent Price)
and not be moved to tears? As a matter of fact, since I saw this film in the
theatre, I have refused to watch it again -- not because it is bad, but
because it tears me up!

If you approached the movie from a point of view of seriousness, I can see
where you would think it's insulting -- but the movie makes no claim to
reality -- it's a fairy tale! :)

Rowell Santiago

Jul 5, 1994, 1:53:25 PM7/5/94
Rob Furr (r.f...@genie.geis.com) wrote:
: The only movie I ever walked out on was _Edward Scissorhands_; I have

: never seen a movie that insulted the moviegoer's intelligence quite as
: much.
*
Edward Scissorhands is one of my all time favorites. I've seen it a
number of times. My only regret is that I never got to see it on the
"BIG SCREEN". It is a classic!

Clotty Peristalt

Jul 5, 1994, 10:12:03 AM7/5/94
Liquid Sky.

--
Clotty Peristalt

". . . Loving all like friend and brother, hardly ever eat each other. . ."

Terran Boylan

Jul 5, 1994, 1:50:53 PM7/5/94
My girlfriend and I walked out of _Ace Ventura_.

It made our brains hurt.

--
---
Terran J. Boylan, Sr. Artist/Programmer | "More people watch television than

M24...@mwvm.mitre.org

Jul 5, 1994, 2:02:12 PM7/5/94
>The only movie I ever walked out on was _Edward Scissorhands_; I have
>never seen a movie that insulted the moviegoer's intelligence quite as
>much.

Too bad for you, it was a beautiful movie. (And a FAIRY TALE!!!!)

Rob Furr

Jul 5, 1994, 2:24:00 PM7/5/94
In article <egross.51...@mailer.fsu.edu> Eric Gross,
>You have to be kidding. Edward Scissorhands is a wonderful modern fairy
tale
>with great quirky characters and situations and certain very moving
scenes.
>How could anyone not sit through the death of Edward's creator (Vincent
Price)
>and not be moved to tears? As a matter of fact, since I saw this film in
the
>theatre, I have refused to watch it again -- not because it is bad, but
>because it tears me up!
>If you approached the movie from a point of view of seriousness, I can
see
>where you would think it's insulting -- but the movie makes no claim to
>reality -- it's a fairy tale! :)

Nope.

I'm not kidding.

I gave the movie every opportunity, really I did.

People who call this "a modern fairy tale" have no bloody idea what a
fairy tale _is_. (...unless, of course, being a "modern fairy tale"
requires the story in question to take a simplistic theme and pound it
into your forehead every thirty seconds. Those stop-motion Christmas
specials are more subtle in their delivery of the theme. _He-Man and the
Masters of the Universe_ is more subtle in its delivery.)

You ask "How could anyone not sit through the death of Edward's creator
(Vincent Price)
and not be moved to tears?" (Ya got an extra 'not' in there, sahib...) I
wasn't moved to tears: I saw that Burton was throwning every manipulative
trick in his satchel into the pot. Half-dead weasels could recognize that
the director was trying his damndest to knee the audience in the
groin...and it wasn't even a honest knee-in-the-groin, it was a knee that
had been put there just because there weren't enough knees around the
movie.

Burton wasn't satisfied with allowing the movie's story to exist and
deliver its message (as pitiful as that message was) unencumbered, he had
to overload every frame, every line, every character and every prop with
Meaning(tm) and Significance(tm). The characters aren't characters in any
sense other than the most basic...no, Burton wouldn't allow that. They're
Symbols(tm), which is one of the most basic problems with the movie: it's
full of Symbolism(tm). Not symbolism, but overdone, overstuffed
Symbolism(tm), and the movie suffers from it. There's no plot, there's
only an overarching Symbol(tm.)

To quote: "Moby Dick doesn't work unless he first works -as a whale-."

_Edward Scissorhands_ doesn't work because it doesn't work as a -story-.

Rob F.

Rob Furr

Jul 5, 1994, 2:26:22 PM7/5/94
In article <16FEAC56B...@mwvm.mitre.org> , M24...@mwvm.mitre.org
writes:

>>The only movie I ever walked out on was _Edward Scissorhands_; I have
>>never seen a movie that insulted the moviegoer's intelligence quite as
>>much.
>
>Too bad for you, it was a beautiful movie. (And a FAIRY TALE!!!!)

Nope. It was an ugly movie, both visually and structurally.

And you have no idea what a fairy tale is. I suggest you actually go read
a few.

Rob F.

gary cooper

Jul 5, 1994, 1:45:16 PM7/5/94

Greg Bole and I had the honor of walking out of Robin Hood, Men in Tights.

Not a single chuckle during the eon-like 1/2 hour we were there...

--
gary cooper (not the dead one) coo...@digex.com
EMAIL ME ABOUT THE 1994 AirWarrior CONVENTION

M24...@mwvm.mitre.org

Jul 5, 1994, 3:00:11 PM7/5/94
>>>The only movie I ever walked out on was _Edward Scissorhands_; I have
>>>never seen a movie that insulted the moviegoer's intelligence quite as
>>>much.
>>
>>Too bad for you, it was a beautiful movie. (And a FAIRY TALE!!!!)
>
>Nope. It was an ugly movie, both visually and structurally.
>And you have no idea what a fairy tale is. I suggest you actually go read
>a few.
>
> Rob F.

I've read plenty thank you. And this would also be considered one.
It was NOT an ugly movie at all. It might have had a few plot holes and
a flaw here and there, but it certainly doesn't deserve the bashing and
ripping apart you're giving it.
I haven't met or talked to anyone until now that didn't like this movie.

Antony Helliwell

Jul 5, 1994, 3:18:27 PM7/5/94
In article 3...@inxs.concert.net, Rob Furr <r.f...@genie.geis.com> () writes:

(with reference to "Edward Scissorhands")

>I gave the movie every opportunity, really I did.

So at what point did it get too much? Simply curious...

Antony Helliwell

Rob Furr

Jul 5, 1994, 3:30:13 PM7/5/94
In article <CsHEy...@isltd.insignia.com> Antony Helliwell,

"Hey! Edward! Let's break into this house and steal all the electronic
equipment!"

"Okay."

Rob F.

Rob Furr

Jul 5, 1994, 3:25:59 PM7/5/94
In article <16FEAD2FD...@mwvm.mitre.org> , M24...@mwvm.mitre.org
writes:

>I've read plenty thank you. And this would also be considered one.
>It was NOT an ugly movie at all. It might have had a few plot holes and
>a flaw here and there, but it certainly doesn't deserve the bashing and
>ripping apart you're giving it.

Ugly. Intentionally so.

In case you hadn't noticed, this IS a Tim Burton movie, and Tim Burton
seems to have a style of production design that is grotesque,
unattractive, and, yes, ugly. Whether or not this is _bad_ is another
question, but, honest to pete, _Edward Scissorhands_ is an ugly movie.
So's _The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly_ and _Brazil_.

Furthermore: No. This is not a fairy tale. This is a manipulative piece
of filmmaking that uses two or three traits of fairy tales but tosses
their essence aside, and was made by filmmakers who had absolutely no
respect for the audience whatsoever.

>I haven't met or talked to anyone until now that didn't like this movie.

So? Am I supposed to change my opinion because I'm outvoted?

I've got good(to me) reasons for disliking _Edward Scissorhands_, and, as
yet, I have seen no valid reasons for liking it...or even tolerating it.
Your mileage may vary.

Rob F.

adam shah

Jul 5, 1994, 3:54:10 PM7/5/94
In article <2vb7ll$7...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu> jas...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu (Jason Aycock) writes:
>This is a little tangential, but who other than me has NEVER
>walked out on a film?
I haven't. I think it's a mixture of laziness, hope that the film will
improve, and the fact that I rarely vehemently hate movies, although I have
stopped one or two rented tapes in the middle.

--
adam (as...@midway.uchicago.edu)
aka mercutio...(where's that damn tybalt anyway???)

Loren Koss

Jul 5, 1994, 3:23:54 PM7/5/94
I had to walk just once.. I too agree that you should pay respect to the
filmmakers and see what they had to say, but one movie (and I took a date
to it - DONT ASK ME WHY!), I had to walk out of was WIRED..

Loren

Marina Waltz

Jul 5, 1994, 9:04:23 AM7/5/94
In article <2vb7ll$7...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu> jas...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu (Jason Aycock) writes:
>From: jas...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu (Jason Aycock)
>Subject: Anyone NEVER walk? (was: Movies SO bad ...walked)
>Date: 5 Jul 1994 09:03:49 GMT

I haven't ever walked out on a film either. I certainly thought about it
during the "Highlander" sequel, but I kept hoping it was going to get
better. It never did.

I felt the same way about "Ghosts Can't Do It", but since I was in my
own living room, and I didn't have anywhere else to go at the time,
I watched the whole thing.

These two movies top my list of what not to see. If I can make it
all the way through these two, I'm sure I could tolerate just about
anything.

Regards,

Marina

Kerry L Whisnant

Jul 5, 1994, 3:58:41 PM7/5/94
Jason Aycock <jas...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu> wrote:

>This is a little tangential, but who other than me has NEVER
>walked out on a film? As a finance major I understand the
>cost/benefit argument, most people's time is worth more than
>the money spent seeing, say, *Frozen Assets.* But I've always felt
>a need to give the filmmakers a chance. And besides, you're
>there already, sitting in the theater...

I've never walked out either. One reason is that I usually go to a movie
with other people, and they all have to agree before you can leave.

I don't even like to interrupt the movie for anything (bathroom break,
snacks, etc.); if I pay for it, I want to see it all. The only movie
I've been to that was so bad that I didn't mind going to the bathroom in
the middle was "Spies Like Us".

--
Kerry Whisnant High Energy Physics Group
whis...@iastate.edu Department of Physics and Astronomy

Clint Olsen

Jul 5, 1994, 4:42:10 PM7/5/94
The Hunger.

-Clint

Eric Gross

Jul 5, 1994, 5:05:26 PM7/5/94

>Nope.

>I'm not kidding.

<< Lots of passionate Edward Scissorhands hatred deleted>>

O.k., I follow your argument, and can understand your points. They are
articulate and well made, if hotly so.

However, being a small-minded, soft hearted and easily emotionally manipulated
person, I will continue to like the movie. :)

I sense you have a problem with Tim Burton in general. :) :)

My only potentially meaningful reply to your comments might be this: all
literature, all art, is about manipulating the feelings of those who view it.
That manipulation is a lot like, well, sex -- some like it hard, some soft,
some subtle, some wild -- and many people like something different at
different times. In the end, no matter what, what people really like is when
it makes them feel good.

So, if it hurts, walk out on it. :)

Clint Lien

Jul 5, 1994, 5:16:27 PM7/5/94

I normally like to stay out of these - " it sucks " - " no it doesn't"
conversation, but I feel the need to put in my 2 cents. Edward Scissor
hands was one of the best movie experiences I've ever had. Dealing with
man's fear of the unknown and the herd mentality of the masses. I always
felt Michael Jackson could probably relate to this film quite well.

Those of us for whom this movie touched a truth are never going to
convince Rob that the movie was great. I do find it interesting that he
so vehemently writes about it, makes me wonder. This is simply not a
movie that should make someone angry.

Clinton

James Acker

Jul 5, 1994, 5:25:23 PM7/5/94

The only movie I ever walked out of was "St. Elmos Fire". I walked out
even though I and my girlfriend went there with another couple.

UC60...@mizzou1.missouri.edu

Jul 5, 1994, 5:15:50 PM7/5/94
I've only walked out on two movies...and they were both when I was a child.
When I was 9 or 10, I made my dad take me home from the first Aliens movie.
(I was absolutely terrified)
When I was even younger, my parents and I went to see a movie called
_Looking for Mr. Goodbar_ and my mother walked out of that movie, taking
me with her in the process.

There have been two movies I've come close to walking out on as an adult,
but ended up staying until the bitter end:

_A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon_ (worst movie I ever saw)
_Reservoir Dogs_ (good movie, but boy, did it get to me)

Cathy

Dwayne MacKinnon

Jul 5, 1994, 4:51:38 PM7/5/94
wa...@mprgate.mpr.ca (Marina Waltz) writes:

>In article <2vb7ll$7...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu> jas...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu (Jason Aycock) writes:
>>From: jas...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu (Jason Aycock)
>>Subject: Anyone NEVER walk? (was: Movies SO bad ...walked)
>>Date: 5 Jul 1994 09:03:49 GMT

>>This is a little tangential, but who other than me has NEVER
>>walked out on a film? As a finance major I understand the
>>cost/benefit argument, most people's time is worth more than
>>the money spent seeing, say, *Frozen Assets.* But I've always felt
>>a need to give the filmmakers a chance. And besides, you're
>>there already, sitting in the theater...

>>Besides, if when I was 15 I walked on any film I was moderately
>>bored with at some point, I would have missed some great films.
>>I just can't leave...
>>==========================================================
>>Jason Aycock jas...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu

I never walked out on a film either, but there are two movies I wish I *HAD*
walked away from: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and Death Becomes Her.

DMK

--
"I can't afford to make any exceptions. Once word gets out that a pirate has
gone soft people start to disobey him and it's nothing but work, work, work

Dwayne MacKinnon My opinions are my own, never
910...@dragon.acadiau.ca those of my employer.

UC60...@mizzou1.missouri.edu

Jul 5, 1994, 5:43:51 PM7/5/94
In article <2vc2e6$3...@inxs.concert.net>
Oh, wow! I've finally found someone who agreed with me. Until this
post, I thought I was the only one who didn't like Edward Scissorhands.

Cathy

M24...@mwvm.mitre.org

Jul 5, 1994, 5:52:18 PM7/5/94
>>"Edward Scissorhands" was NOT an ugly movie at all. It might have had

>>a flaw here and there, but it certainly doesn't deserve the bashing and
>>ripping apart you're giving it.
>
>Ugly. Intentionally so.
>In case you hadn't noticed, this IS a Tim Burton movie, and Tim Burton
>seems to have a style of production design that is grotesque,
>unattractive, and, yes, ugly. Whether or not this is _bad_ is another
>question, but, honest to pete, _Edward Scissorhands_ is an ugly movie.
>So's _The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly_ and _Brazil_.
>
>>I haven't met or talked to anyone until now that didn't like this movie.
>
>So? Am I supposed to change my opinion because I'm outvoted?
>
>I've got good(to me) reasons for disliking _Edward Scissorhands_, and, as
>yet, I have seen no valid reasons for liking it...or even tolerating it.
>Your mileage may vary.
>
> Rob F.

Rob,
Switch to decaf. YES the sets were UGLY as were the sets of "Beetlejuice"
"Batman" and "Batman Returns". Gothic usually is. What I meant by this
movie NOT being ugly was that it had heart. So much so that the screen was
practically beating. Regardless of any shameless tricks Tim Burton pulled,
it was a sweet movie that touched nearly everyone that saw it. No one is
trying to convert you here just because I said you were the first person I've
talked to who didn't like it. Me (and the others) are simply trying to tell
you that we didn't feel like the idiots you felt the movie was made for.

Robert B. Shoe

Jul 5, 1994, 7:47:07 PM7/5/94
The worst movie I've seen in recent memory has to be CHASERS.
If it weren't for the fact that it was a free preview before the
feature (SERIAL MOM), it would have chased us out of the theatre. I
don't care how nice that "actress" looks without her top on, it was a
loser.
As for SERIAL MOM, we actually tried to leave but found that
our hands and feet had been secretly strapped to the chairs, and our
eyelids held open. Geez, what a foul excuse for a film. We definitely
expected better from Kathleen Turner. But come to think of it, I
vaguely recall something like V.I.Warshawski.

Kevin Archibald

Jul 5, 1994, 7:23:03 PM7/5/94
Jason Aycock (jas...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu) wrote:
: This is a little tangential, but who other than me has NEVER

I've never walked, but I've fallen asleep. Room With A View, Parenthood, and
Orlando are all movies that I've dozed off watching. I've seen all on video
again, and only Parenthood was decent. Oh, yeah, I feel asleep in Heaven's
Gate as well (I remember very little of this one obviously), but my mom
walked out on it. Only my dad stayed awake for it.

--
> /--\ /--\ /--\ /--\ <
> /| / Hypocrisy in the Land of the Free \ |\ <
> / | / Hostility and Stupidity \ | \ <
> / | / Keep your progress to yourself... \ | \ <
> / |/ \| \ <
> \__/ \__/ \__/ \__/ <

Timothy s. Wearing

Jul 5, 1994, 8:26:38 PM7/5/94

In a previous article, jas...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu (Jason Aycock) says:

>This is a little tangential, but who other than me has NEVER

>walked out on a film? As a finance major I understand the
>cost/benefit argument, most people's time is worth more than
>the money spent seeing, say, *Frozen Assets.* But I've always felt
>a need to give the filmmakers a chance. And besides, you're
>there already, sitting in the theater...

Although there are several that I wish I had walked out of, I cannot
remember a time I ever did. One film I wished I would have walked out of
was Dangerous Liaisons. I did not find it all that erotic (as I believe I
was supposed to have) but kept wishing the end would come. I saw it with
three others and after about the 6th hour (well it seemed like that) we
decided that we might as well stay for the whole film.
[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []
____________ ____________ _____________ ____________ ____________ ____
| Timothy | | Ottawa | | au813@ | | Stay | | For Our | |
| S. | | Ontario | | FreeNet. | | Tuned...| | Feature | |
| Wearing | | Canada | |Carleton.CA| | | |Attraction| |
------------ ------------ ------------- ------------ ------------ ----
[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Anne Elizabeth Callery

Jul 5, 1994, 11:16:16 PM7/5/94
Kevin Archibald (k...@netcom.com) wrote:
: I've never walked, but I've fallen asleep. Room With A View, Parenthood, and

: Orlando are all movies that I've dozed off watching. I've seen all on video

I've never walked out on a movie either. I have turned off videos though.
Particularly one of those Timothy Dalton James Bond movies (don't remember
which). We really tried. We gave up once, then tried again the next day,
but we still couldn't endure it and had to stop. And I can understand
why Kevin fell asleep during Orlando...

Anne Callery
Palo Alto, CA

John Pestka

Jul 5, 1994, 9:02:41 AM7/5/94
Almost walked out of...

Bad Girls

Bram Stoker's Dracula

and most recently, The Shadow

JLP

Sandra Bullock is God!!!

st...@rosie.uh.edu

Jul 6, 1994, 12:04:49 AM7/6/94

Yuck, I _hated_ that Jimmy Reardon movie, but I, of course, stayed
until the very end. Actually its the second worst movie I have ever paid to
see. The absolute worst movie was Naked Lunch. YECCHH. Of course I watched
the whole thing. I think I have some kind of fascination /w/ really bad
movies. Its kinda like rubber-necking at an accident. you look at it, stare
and think, ooooo, that is baaad.....

TRA

Joseph Liao

Jul 6, 1994, 12:24:30 AM7/6/94
I've never walked out on a movie in a theatre, despite seeing some
pretty painfully bad ones. BUT, I have rented a movie so painful to
watch that I switched the TV off and returned the tape without finishing.
The movie was DUNE. I couldn't stand it, it was so bad. I only managed to
watch about 15 minutes of it before stopping the tape in disgust.

--
Joseph Liao, Rhapsody Consultants
li...@panix.com Home: 212/780.0940

David Eschatfische

Jul 6, 1994, 1:14:04 AM7/6/94
In article <2vcc47$3...@inxs.concert.net>, Rob Furr <r.f...@genie.geis.com> writes:
>In article <16FEAD2FD...@mwvm.mitre.org> , M24...@mwvm.mitre.org
>writes:
>>I've read plenty thank you. And this would also be considered one.
>>It was NOT an ugly movie at all. It might have had a few plot holes and
>>a flaw here and there, but it certainly doesn't deserve the bashing and
>>ripping apart you're giving it.
>
>Ugly. Intentionally so.
>
>In case you hadn't noticed, this IS a Tim Burton movie, and Tim Burton
>seems to have a style of production design that is grotesque,
>unattractive, and, yes, ugly. Whether or not this is _bad_ is another
>question, but, honest to pete, _Edward Scissorhands_ is an ugly movie.
>So's _The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly_ and _Brazil_.

I'll agree -- many parts of Edward Scissorhands were intentionally ugly.
But I tellya, it's the exact same ugliness I remember from the early 70's.
Houses in our neighborhood were painted those colors. My family still has one
of those miserable olive green rotary phones. And the fact remains -- most
suburban areas are STILL ugly. Just because somebody makes a movie doesn't
mean they have to make the world look like utopia -- and Tim Burton captures
a hilarious part of late 60's and early 70's design. I've never seen so many
AMC vehicles in my life -- I laughed out loud.
Plus, the movie on occasion, is beautiful -- to contrast sharply with
the ugliness of general life. It's like Sam Lowry's dreams in Brazil --
they're absolutely beautiful, but he has to wake up in a ridiculously ugly
world. When Edward is carving the ice, with Ryder's character dancing in the
"snow", it's a lovely scene, absolutely beautiful -- because Edward has
finally found someone to appreciate the beauty he can create.

But then again, that would be Symbolic(tm)...and you don't like that
kind of thing. However, I for one believe that if a filmmaker wants to express
themselves metaphorically, I'm all for it. Even if it's somewhat
autobiographical, like Edward Scissorhands, any of Terry Gilliam's films, or
something like Barton Fink. If the filmmaker puts some genuine feeling into
the movie, straight from their emotions (as I thoroughly believe Tim Burton
did), I feel the emotion is genuine -- and not manipulative.

> Burton wasn't satisfied with allowing the movie's story to exist
> and deliver its message (as pitiful as that message was)

Do you understand the theme? To me, the movie is trying to say that people
will put down someone who is deformed (or, UGLY) just because they don't
understand them, even if they're essentially good, and do things (in the movie,
artistically) that we can appreciate. Above, you were putting down Edward
Scissorhands for simply being an UGLY movie, a grotesque movie -- you judged
its look before you judged its artistic merit. Ring a bell? Just like the
film, just like Winona Ryder's Kim Boggs judging Edward before realizing what a
good person he was.
The movie attacks your critique of it directly.

>Furthermore: No. This is not a fairy tale.

I do agree with you that Edward Scissorhands was NOT a fairy tale, and
was a pale imitation of one. I really wish they would have left the
opening and closing scenes out of the film, they only detracted from the story.

> You ask "How could anyone not sit through the death of Edward's
> creator (Vincent Price) and not be moved to tears?" (Ya got an
> extra 'not' in there, sahib...) I wasn't moved to tears: I saw
> that Burton was throwning every manipulative trick in his satchel
> into the pot.

Was he? I saw it more as a part of the plot than anything. Kim's embrace
was the only direct emotional release Edward had found since his master died.
The fact that he related the two events in a swell of emotion was a part of his
character, searching for acceptance and recalling the event that took away
any hope of that for him, when he became alone.
You've never had a long embrace after being alone for a long time, have
you? The film's emotions, albeit a tad manipulative, capture that feeling
perfectly. The scene is the emotional climax of the film, and probably the
best executed one.

>I've got good(to me) reasons for disliking _Edward Scissorhands_, and, as
>yet, I have seen no valid reasons for liking it...or even tolerating it.
>Your mileage may vary.

Gee, I like movies that are funny, make fun of early 70's decor and give
off some genuine human emotion, more than the standard sex & violence of
standard Hollywood cinema. Some of us, as pitiful as it sounds, can empathize
with the film. I guess you can't.

esc...@solaria.mil.wi.us 2609c...@vms.csd.mu.edu
(Eschatfische.) --------------------------------------------------------------

Peer Landa

Jul 6, 1994, 1:13:48 AM7/6/94

Cathy( UC60...@mizzou1.missouri.edu) writes:
Reservoir Dogs (good movie, but boy, did it get to me)

This is true, Reservoir Dogs is hard to sit through, but what a powerful
movie!!

-- peer

Brian Gallagher

Jul 6, 1994, 1:42:21 AM7/6/94
The only movie I ever walked out of, I didn't even get through the
credits.

I was sitting quietly in the dollar theater with two other friends,
watching the opening credits to INNOCENT BLOOD. When Don Rickles' name
appeared on the screen, the three of us looked at each other, and
without a word got up and walked out.

Absolutely true.
(I later saw it on video -- for free -- and wished I hadn't)

--
Fisher (martes pennanti)
"Damn it all, everything but the Circus...Somebody told us what we

ANDREW BURDETTE MILLER

Jul 6, 1994, 3:11:07 AM7/6/94
Brian Gallagher (br...@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu) wrote:
: The only movie I ever walked out of, I didn't even get through the
: credits.

There have only been two films that I've seen in the theater that I've
actually wanted to (THOUGHT ABOUT, even) walk out during: DIE HARD 2, and
TOTAL RECALL.

Both films were extremely cliched in every aspect (story, character,
plot, even technically!). The direction (Renny Harlan and Paul
Veerhoeven, respectively) was contrived and unoriginal. I decided to
just forget about how STUPID and IDIOTIC the films were and just sat
thinking about all the other things I could've been doing with two hours
of my free-time.

Andrew Miller
ami...@mercury.sfsu.edu

Jeff Schwartz

Jul 5, 1994, 10:18:06 AM7/5/94
In article <ebaCsA...@netcom.com> e...@netcom.com (EBA) writes:
>Newsgroups: alt.cult-movies,rec.arts.movies
>From: e...@netcom.com (EBA)
>Subject: Re: Movies SO bad, you walked out of.....
>Date: Sat, 2 Jul 1994 06:09:44 GMT

[]

Only movie I ever walked out of was Clockwork Orange. Not that I didn't like
it, just that I was becoming physically ill. Something I ate I think.

When I saw "The Fourth Man," about half the audience left during the scene
where the main character is watching the woman and her other lover.

Jeffrey A. Schwartz
AT&T-Global Information Solutions jeff.s...@sandiegoca.NCR.COM
San Diego Porting Center
17095 Via Del Campo ms 9853 (619) 485-2052
San Diego, CA 92127 Voice Plus 440-2052
Death and taxes may always be with us,
but death at least doesn't get any worse.
GO TIGERS

Brian McCord

Jul 6, 1994, 2:47:39 AM7/6/94

_National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1_ and _Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story_.

Loaded Weapon: I left after the twentieth cheap gag in the first five
minutes. Saw it on video, suffered through it. Still cheap.

Dragon: rediculous dream sequences, over-dramitized bull in general. Being
an avid fan of Bruce Lee probably made it all worse. Have yet to see it in
full.

Basically, two good reasons why I hate going to the movies in the first place.
--
"Janet!" "Dr. Scott!" "Janet!" "Brad!" "Rocky!" <dumb look>
Manufactured by TAILCO -- making meaningless | g...@theporch.raider.net

Rob Furr

Jul 6, 1994, 9:03:55 AM7/6/94

egr...@mailer.fsu.edu writes:
>O.k., I follow your argument, and can understand your points. They are
>articulate and well made, if hotly so.
>
>However, being a small-minded, soft hearted and easily emotionally
manipulated
>person, I will continue to like the movie. :)

Of course. Heck, I never said that anybody _else_ should dislike the
movie. I just can't stand it myself.

>I sense you have a problem with Tim Burton in general. :) :)

Bing. Exactly. For my nickel, he's done one good movie (_Batman_,) one
barely passable movie (_Beetlejuice_,) two annoying, dull and pointless
movies (_The Nightmare Before Christmas_ and _Pee-Wee's Big Adventure_)
and one truly terrible movie (guess.)

>My only potentially meaningful reply to your comments might be this: all
>literature, all art, is about manipulating the feelings of those who
view it.
>That manipulation is a lot like, well, sex -- some like it hard, some
soft,
>some subtle, some wild -- and many people like something different at
>different times. In the end, no matter what, what people really like is
when
>it makes them feel good.

Yes...all art is about manipulating the feelings of the audience.
However, when it's this obvious, the manipulation becomes more
significant than the end result. Hitchcock could get away with his
brute-force audience manipulation because he was _good_ at it. Burton, on
the other hand, uses methods and means to generate the emotions that he
wants that are, well, a kind way to phrase it would be "hackneyed."

Rob F.

Rob Furr

Jul 6, 1994, 9:37:29 AM7/6/94
In article <00980FEC...@vms.csd.mu.edu> David Eschatfische,

<r.f...@genie.geis.com> writes:
>>Ugly. Intentionally so.
>>
>>In case you hadn't noticed, this IS a Tim Burton movie, and Tim Burton
>>seems to have a style of production design that is grotesque,
>>unattractive, and, yes, ugly. Whether or not this is _bad_ is another
>>question, but, honest to pete, _Edward Scissorhands_ is an ugly movie.
>>So's _The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly_ and _Brazil_.
>
> I'll agree -- many parts of Edward Scissorhands were intentionally
ugly.
>But I tellya, it's the exact same ugliness I remember from the early
70's.
>Houses in our neighborhood were painted those colors. My family still
has one
>of those miserable olive green rotary phones. And the fact remains --
most
>suburban areas are STILL ugly. Just because somebody makes a movie
doesn't
>mean they have to make the world look like utopia -- and Tim Burton
captures
>a hilarious part of late 60's and early 70's design. I've never seen so
many
>AMC vehicles in my life -- I laughed out loud.

Hmm. I didn't notice the AMC vehicles. Of course, I actually sorta like
how a couple of them look, the AMC Eagle 4x4 station wagon first among
them.

> Plus, the movie on occasion, is beautiful -- to contrast sharply
with
>the ugliness of general life. It's like Sam Lowry's dreams in Brazil --
>they're absolutely beautiful, but he has to wake up in a ridiculously
ugly
>world. When Edward is carving the ice, with Ryder's character dancing
in the
>"snow", it's a lovely scene, absolutely beautiful -- because Edward has
>finally found someone to appreciate the beauty he can create.

This is _exactly_ what I object to in the movie: Burton could not have
been less subtle without putting a caption saying "And Now, Edward Has
Found Someone Who Appreciates The Beauty Within Him" at the bottom of the
screen, in big flashing letters.

> But then again, that would be Symbolic(tm)...and you don't like
that
>kind of thing. However, I for one believe that if a filmmaker wants to
express
>themselves metaphorically, I'm all for it. Even if it's somewhat
>autobiographical, like Edward Scissorhands, any of Terry Gilliam's
films, or
>something like Barton Fink. If the filmmaker puts some genuine feeling
into
>the movie, straight from their emotions (as I thoroughly believe Tim
Burton
>did), I feel the emotion is genuine -- and not manipulative.

I don't object to symbolism. I don't object to metaphorical expression.
I object to being spoon-fed the Meaning(tm) of a movie.

> Do you understand the theme? To me, the movie is trying to say that
people
>will put down someone who is deformed (or, UGLY) just because they don't
>understand them, even if they're essentially good, and do things (in the
movie,
>artistically) that we can appreciate. Above, you were putting down
Edward
>Scissorhands for simply being an UGLY movie, a grotesque movie -- you
judged
>its look before you judged its artistic merit. Ring a bell? Just like
the
>film, just like Winona Ryder's Kim Boggs judging Edward before realizing
what a
>good person he was.
> The movie attacks your critique of it directly.

but I didn't _say_ being ugly was bad. In point of fact, my previous
posting directly contradicts your response(see above.)

I understand the theme. That's another one of my objections...again,
half-dead weasels would understand the theme. Nepalese who speak no
English would understand the theme. Mere seconds before the impact of
that big ol' asteroid in Mexico, sixty-five million years ago, one
dinosaur was saying to another "Gosh, I understand the theme of _Edward
Scissorhands_." Whether or not the theme is valid, or worthwhile, or a
Good Theme is irrelevant...what's relevant is that we got hit over the
head with it constantly. Not five minutes go by in that movie without the
theme coming up and whanging us over the head with a baseball bat.

Personally, I think that the theme is about on the order of a He-Man
final lesson; the phrase "not terribly deep" leaps to mind...but that
doesn't bear on the 'fact' (okay, it's opinion) that it's shoved in our
face constantly.

> You've never had a long embrace after being alone for a long time,
have
>you? The film's emotions, albeit a tad manipulative, capture that
feeling
>perfectly. The scene is the emotional climax of the film, and probably
the
>best executed one.

Which isn't saying much, imho.

> Gee, I like movies that are funny, make fun of early 70's decor and
give
>off some genuine human emotion, more than the standard sex & violence of
>standard Hollywood cinema. Some of us, as pitiful as it sounds, can
empathize
>with the film. I guess you can't.

To me, it wasn't funny.

It was populated with stock characters and situations.

It gave off cheap and calculated emotion.

And I walked out.

now...a final point: Yes, I have strong feelings about how truly rotten
_Edward Scissorhands_ is. I try not to walk out of movies. I sat and
watched _Nightfall_, fer chrissake, until the credits rolled. I can cope
with bad moviemaking. I can cope with rotten actors, I can cope with Ed
Wood, Erich von Stroheim, and _Robocop II_. I don't feel personally
disgraced by an Ed Wood production, and, regardless of the level that
_Robocop II_ sunk to, I can still look at it and find something of value
(the special effects, in that case,) but...

_Edward Scissorhands_ stands alone in how truly _insulting_ a movie can
be. Tim Burton made a movie that refuses to believe that there might be
an operating brain somewhere in the theatre. ("Ooooo, lookie!" the movie
goes in its best Mister Rogers voice, "Here's Anthony Michael Hall! He's
a bully. Bad, bully, bad. Gosh, isn't he awful. Can _you_ say 'awful?' I
knew you could...") I like to think that I don't need to have everything
spoon-fed to me...I don't need the theme repeated and repeated and
repeated and repeated, I don't need to have completely stock characters
so that I'll know who's the bad guy and who's the good guy. I don't need
to have every camera movement, every prop, every set and every frame
calculated (and _obviously_ calculated) to illustrate a trite and obvious
theme.

...but Tim Burton assumes that I do.

Rob F.

Paula J. Vitaris

Jul 6, 1994, 12:06:41 PM7/6/94
Edward Scissorhands is a lovely movie, with one of those
performances from Johnny Depp that make you think not much is going
on...until you watch his eyes. The production design is exquisite.
Danny Elfman's score is so beautiful I actually bought the CD, and
usually don't buy film score CDs. I admit the story fell down in
the third act -- unfortunately Tim Burton's strong suit is not plot
development, and I keep waiting for him to marry his astonishing
visual eye to a really strong story -- but that does not lessen the
overall impact for me of this beautiful film.

And it IS a fairy tale. You just have to take it on that level.
Otherwise, how can you believe gothic castles looming over flat,
pastel Florida towns? :)

-- Paula

Robert Bryan Lipton

Jul 6, 1994, 10:49:25 AM7/6/94
I just remembered on looking at another post of great mystery movies,
that I walked out on THE LAST OF SHEILA. Some years later I sat through
a tv viewing of it. I was right to walk.

Of course, there is no movie so bad that some one, somewhere, won't
think it brilliant. After all, if it was good enough to fool the
executives who vetted the movie and the director and so forth, it is
hardly surprising that some one, somewhere, wouldn't think it brilliant.
And, given that, it is hardly surprising that that one individual is on
the net recommending this goddawful piece of crap.

Bob

jbl...@ncrel.org

Jul 6, 1994, 1:15:35 PM7/6/94
The Piano.

Cathy Byland

Jul 6, 1994, 11:28:56 AM7/6/94
In article <1994Jul5.2...@news.etc.bc.ca>

Clint Lien <cl...@cln.etc.bc.ca> writes:

>Those of us for whom this movie touched a truth are never going to
>convince Rob that the movie was great. I do find it interesting that he
>so vehemently writes about it, makes me wonder. This is simply not a
>movie that should make someone angry.
>
>Clinton

I agree with you, Clint, about Edward Scissorhands.
It didn't make me angry, but I'm one of the few that really didn't
like it. I thought it was silly, and there was NO ONE with whom I
identified. But that's all there was to it. I can't give specific
reasons for not liking it, I just didn't. Basically, all art, in
film form or otherwise is completely subjective, and any film
no matter what it is, will have it's detractors. (for example,
I *loved* Schindler's List, and can't imagine how anyone could
think it was a bad movie, but lots of people did dislike it.)
Oh, well. C'est le vie

Cathy

Karen Etheridge

Jul 6, 1994, 1:14:17 PM7/6/94
In <19940704.1...@oo.com> wsi...@oo.com (William Silvey) writes:

>The only movie I ever walked out on was the ultra-abominable _Brain_Donors_.
>
>]------------------------DESTROY ALL CUTE ANIME--------------------------[
>]----------------I refuse to call Star Wars 'A New Hope!'----------------[
>]The opinions expressed above, below, et al., are not those of Online----[
>]Orlando. tHe mAstER wOulD NOt ApProVe.-| WRITE ME! wsi...@oo.com------[
>]-Only Amiga made it possible!-And Commodore remidied THAT.--------------[

Hey!! I liked Brain Donors! Pure unadulterated silliness....

Bob Devereaux

Jul 6, 1994, 2:02:06 PM7/6/94
Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street.

--
Robert Devereaux
bob...@fc.hp.com

jbl...@ncrel.org

Jul 6, 1994, 3:40:13 PM7/6/94
Dealing with
>man's fear of the unknown and the herd mentality of the masses. I always
>felt Michael Jackson could probably relate to this film quite well.

The only way it dealt with the "herd mentality of the masses" was by
manipulating a mass audience into thinking that this was a good movie. The
rest was so overdone and obvious that anyone who watched the film with a
little more intelligence than the lowliest member of the "herd" was either
bored or insulted. The rest of us went home and watched Boris Karloff in
Frankenstein and The Bride of Frankenstein to see how it's supposed to be
done.

j.b.

adam shah

Jul 6, 1994, 2:27:52 PM7/6/94
In article <jeff.schwartz...@sandiegoca.ncr.com> jeff.s...@sandiegoca.ncr.com (Jeff Schwartz) writes:
>Only movie I ever walked out of was Clockwork Orange. Not that I didn't like
>it, just that I was becoming physically ill. Something I ate I think.
Hmmmm...maybe you were just subjected to the Ludivico technique.

--
adam (as...@midway.uchicago.edu)
aka mercutio...(where's that damn tybalt anyway???)
1321 E 57th Street Apt 3/Chicago, IL 60637/(312)363-0920
obligatory go yankees for baseball season...

Michel Hafner

Jul 6, 1994, 4:01:02 PM7/6/94
In article <53569....@ncrel.org> <jbl...@ncrel.org> writes:
>The Piano.
Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, Raging Bull, 8.5 and many other stinkers...
MH

Robert B. Shoe

Jul 6, 1994, 5:09:14 PM7/6/94
In article <1994Jul6.2...@ifi.unizh.ch> haf...@ifi.unizh.ch (Michel Hafner) writes:

>Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, Raging Bull, 8.5 and many other stinkers...

I recognize everyone's right to an opinion, but I have to ask
why you consider CITIZEN KANE a stinker? I found it, and still do, to
be a very innovative film in terms of visual style. The editing,
camera angles, lighting, are all fascinating to see, especially when
compared to other films of the day. And even to films of today. The
acting of Welles' Mercury Theatre Group was outstanding from top to
bottom.
I also found the storyline to be interesting, more than enough
to keep me in my seat. Each time that I watch it I find more things in
it which had previously escaped my attention. It has not earned the
title "classic" by any cheesy, underhanded, or "PC" fashion. It is a
true classic in every sense of the word.
So, what are your reasons for disliking it? I am genuinely
interested in knowing. Besides, there is too much discussion on Val
Kilmer/Keanu Reeves/Lion King, and not enough on classics lately.

YES TO REC.ARTS.MOVIES.CLASSICS!!

"I wish someone would tell you what I _really_ think of you."
-Claudette Colbert
(Yet another actress I consider better than K. Hepburn)

Phil Miller

Jul 6, 1994, 5:12:20 PM7/6/94
John Pestka (pestka@willow) wrote:
: Almost walked out of...
: Bram Stoker's Dracula

This movie was so disconnected from anything I could relate to, and so
disappointing on nearly every level, that I stayed away from movie theaters
for the next full year. If only I had walked out of the damn thing ........

: and most recently, The Shadow

Really .......... I was thinking of seeing this, but I suppose it will be
about as lousy as Batman II.

philll

DBAR...@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca

Jul 6, 1994, 4:28:24 PM7/6/94
In article <61469....@ncrel.org>
sigh.. why is that people with the most negative of views about some
thing or another have to stoop to contempuous, childish put downs
against those who happened to enjoy what they disliked. Is it some
sort of inferiority complex? Can they only feel good about themselves
when they stand on top of others and rub us lowest members of the
herd's noses in the shit that they shovel?

Regards,
Dave Bartlett
(Whose opinion would I state other than my own)

Kenneth C. Jenks

Jul 6, 1994, 8:05:44 PM7/6/94
Hannah and Her Sisters.

-- Ken Jenks, NASA/JSC/SD5, Space Biomedical Research Institute
kje...@gothamcity.jsc.nasa.gov (713) 483-4368

"Instant gratification takes too long." -- Lisa Jenks

Christoph Steinecke

Jul 6, 1994, 4:13:00 PM7/6/94
g...@theporch.raider.net meinte am 06.07.94
zum Thema "Re: Movies SO bad, you walked out of.....":

>_National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1_ and _Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story_.
>
>Loaded Weapon: I left after the twentieth cheap gag in the first five
>minutes. Saw it on video, suffered through it. Still cheap.

What did you exspect ???

I thought it was great fun !

>Dragon: rediculous dream sequences, over-dramitized bull in general. Being
>an avid fan of Bruce Lee probably made it all worse. Have yet to see it in
>full.

Yes you're right, DRAGON sucked big time, fast-forwarded very much
when seing it on Video

Bye
Chris

e-mail : jes...@pegasus.ms.sub.org
## CrossPoint v3.0 ##

Dave Fox

Jul 6, 1994, 9:46:03 PM7/6/94
Rob Furr <r.f...@genie.geis.com> writes:

>>I sense you have a problem with Tim Burton in general. :) :)
>
>Bing. Exactly. For my nickel, he's done one good movie (_Batman_,) one
>barely passable movie (_Beetlejuice_,) two annoying, dull and pointless
>movies (_The Nightmare Before Christmas_ and _Pee-Wee's Big Adventure_)
>and one truly terrible movie (guess.)

Don't forget (and I am a fan of Tim Burton and his movies - tho'
"Nightmare" was tedious and I fell asleep, looked good, tho' -) TB
also made "Frankenweenie" - an absolute classic parody!

Dave Fox

Jul 6, 1994, 9:54:56 PM7/6/94
Rob Furr <r.f...@genie.geis.com> writes:

> now...a final point: Yes, I have strong feelings about how truly rotten
>_Edward Scissorhands_ is. I try not to walk out of movies. I sat and
>watched _Nightfall_, fer chrissake, until the credits rolled. I can cope
>with bad moviemaking. I can cope with rotten actors, I can cope with Ed
>Wood, Erich von Stroheim, and _Robocop II_. I don't feel personally
>disgraced by an Ed Wood production, and, regardless of the level that
>_Robocop II_ sunk to, I can still look at it and find something of value
>(the special effects, in that case,) but...
>
>_Edward Scissorhands_ stands alone in how truly _insulting_ a movie can

>be. Tim Burton made a movie that refuses to believe that there might be
>an operating brain somewhere in the theatre. ("Ooooo, lookie!" the movie

That reminds me, have you ever seen the mega-hit "Ghost?" God, I hate
that "film"!

Damian Penny

Jul 4, 1994, 6:07:01 PM7/4/94
wsi...@oo.com (William Silvey) writes:

>The only movie I ever walked out on was the ultra-abominable _Brain_Donors_.

Really? Gee, am I the only person warped enough to have found BRAIN DONORS
funny?

--
D A M I A N P E N N Y
-----...@ganymede.cs.mun.ca-----
M E M O R I A L U N I V E R S I T Y O F N E W F O U N D L A N D
"When I saw Sally Struthers endorsing it, I knew it was the school for me."

Kelly Sedinger

Jul 6, 1994, 10:07:01 PM7/6/94
In article 22...@midway.uchicago.edu, as...@quads.uchicago.edu (adam shah) writes:
> In article <2vb7ll$7...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu> jas...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu (Jason Aycock) writes:
> >This is a little tangential, but who other than me has NEVER
> >walked out on a film?
> I haven't. I think it's a mixture of laziness, hope that the film will
> improve, and the fact that I rarely vehemently hate movies, although I have
> stopped one or two rented tapes in the middle.

I haven't either, although I came close at Highlander, Basic Instinct, and
Beaches. But I'm always of the attitude: "God damn it, I got in my car, drove
here, paid money, ate popcorn, and by God I'm going to sit through the entire
damn thing." Besides, there's always the morbid curiosity on how bad films
are going to turn out, and whether or not they'll totally sink to the depths
of their respective genres.

---
The Universe, and all it encompasses, is one,
including the works of man; for who is man but
the work of some higher force?

Kelly Sedinger sedi...@marx.sbu.edu

Brian Williams (REL)

Jul 7, 1994, 1:24:19 AM7/7/94
I had an unbroken string of never walking out of a movie until I went to
see _The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover_ which I would have
stuck through but my ride threatened to leave me. I've always felt
guilty for leaving; like if I were a real movie fan I would have walked
home to save my perfect record!

--
------------------------------------||
I am not tall enough to become the || Brian M Williams, Struggling

Tony Anderson

Jul 7, 1994, 6:16:53 AM7/7/94
In article <16FEAFB5D...@mwvm.mitre.org>,
<M24...@mwvm.mitre.org> wrote:
>>>"Edward Scissorhands" was NOT an ugly movie at all. It might have had
>>>a flaw here and there, but it certainly doesn't deserve the bashing and
>>>ripping apart you're giving it.

>>Ugly. Intentionally so.
>>In case you hadn't noticed, this IS a Tim Burton movie, and Tim Burton
>>seems to have a style of production design that is grotesque,
>>unattractive, and, yes, ugly. Whether or not this is _bad_ is another
>>question, but, honest to pete, _Edward Scissorhands_ is an ugly movie.
>>So's _The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly_ and _Brazil_.
>>
>>>I haven't met or talked to anyone until now that didn't like this movie.
>>
>>So? Am I supposed to change my opinion because I'm outvoted?
>>
>>I've got good(to me) reasons for disliking _Edward Scissorhands_, and, as
>>yet, I have seen no valid reasons for liking it...or even tolerating it.
>>Your mileage may vary.
>>
>> Rob F.
>

> Rob,
> Switch to decaf. YES the sets were UGLY as were the sets of "Beetlejuice"
>"Batman" and "Batman Returns". Gothic usually is. What I meant by this
>movie NOT being ugly was that it had heart. So much so that the screen was
>practically beating. Regardless of any shameless tricks Tim Burton pulled,
>it was a sweet movie that touched nearly everyone that saw it. No one is
>trying to convert you here just because I said you were the first person I've
>talked to who didn't like it. Me (and the others) are simply trying to tell
>you that we didn't feel like the idiots you felt the movie was made for.

* I can't believe you actually felt no emotion at all when viewing this
film. It is filled with humor, drama, action, compassion and some
cherished performances. You have to stop and think here, Johnny Depp had
very little dialogue in the film, he used his facial expressions and eyes
to convey most of his performance. How can you call the film ugly? The
scene where he is carving the ice in the end as it sails down out of the
window. Do you find bright rainbow colors ugly? The costumes,
everything, colors everywhere. The castle and Edward being dark was a
point you obviously didn't get. His life was dark and empty, he was
brought to the neighborhood below and was attracted by it's colors. The
same theme was actually used to an extent in Burton's NIGHTMARE BEFORE
CHRISTMAS.
I know very few who dislike the film, they generally have a hard
time opening up to people and expressing their inner feelings. I loved
the film upon my first viewing and consider it a modern classic. It is
defiantely Tim Burton's best film to date. If you think ALL of Burton's
film's are ugly in appearance, what did you find so ugly about PEE WEE'S
BIG ADVENTURE? Again, lots of colors and humor throughout.
You either have only watched BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS, or you
just make judgements in bulk.

ToNy

--
Tony Anderson is......... dem...@eskimo.com
"Through the darkness of future past, the mysterious one longs to see,

Nick Matonak

Jul 7, 1994, 2:30:00 AM7/7/94
to r.f...@genie.geis.com
Come on!!!...."Edward Scissorshands" is one of the best films
I have ever seen!!!!!!...I think you should have stayed around

Asdis Omarsdottir

Jul 7, 1994, 7:43:34 AM7/7/94
The only movie I had given up on (rented it on video)
was Bad Lieutenant with Harvey Keitel, whom I usually
really like. But that film really almost made me puke
it was so disgusting.

Asdis

M24...@mwvm.mitre.org

Jul 7, 1994, 8:42:38 AM7/7/94
I've noticed a few "Shadow" bashings here of recent in this
thread and all I have to say is that I saw it last night
and LOVED it. What the hell does everybody expect anyway, another
copy of "Raiders Of The Lost Ark"?? I thought everything about
the movie was top notch. Especially the sets and cinematography.
You people need to remember that this is the summer movie season.
Which means fluff. There is a reason why almost no movie from May
through September is never nominated for any Academy Awards other
than for special effects or art direction.
Lighten up!

Todd Murchison

Jul 7, 1994, 10:02:32 AM7/7/94
> I had an unbroken string of never walking out of a movie until I went to
> see _The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover_ which I would have
> stuck through but my ride threatened to leave me. I've always felt
> guilty for leaving; like if I were a real movie fan I would have walked
> home to save my perfect record!

Well, I havn't wlked out of one yet. I guess a movie just hasn't been boaring
enough or bad enough to overcome my curiousity. I ALWAYS want to see the end.
But that's just me. I don't see why it would be wrong to walk out. It's your
$. By the way, I really liked _The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover_.
Todd S. Murchison Extension Technology Services
ETS Helpdesk Staff tmur...@twosocks.ces.ncsu.edu
P.S. Sorry about the spelling.

Message has been deleted

Eron Main

Jul 6, 1994, 8:03:24 AM7/6/94
On <Jul 05 10:03>, Jason Aycock writes:

> This is a little tangential, but who other than me has NEVER
> walked out on a film?

I also don't walk out of films. I figure that if nothing else, I get a chance
to see how truly bad a movie can be and still get released. Although I think
these days the market for awful first-run movies is limited, what with
direct-to-video release. I would guess that most studios left with a stinker
on their hands will avoid putting it into theatres and so miss a lot of bad
press that could hurt video rentals.

I have often stopped videos partway through though. Something about being
subjected to trash in broad daylight in my own living room just grates on
me.

-Zron
em...@hadrian.rubicon.org
"The most violent element in society is ignorance" -Emma Goldman

John Blaser

Jul 7, 1994, 3:12:41 PM7/7/94
to haf...@ifi.unizh.ch
On Wed, 6 Jul 1994 20:01:02 GMT,
Michel Hafner <haf...@ifi.unizh.ch> wrote:

>In article <53569....@ncrel.org> <jbl...@ncrel.org> writes:
>>The Piano.

>Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, Raging Bull, 8.5 and many other stinkers...

The Piano has nothing to do with these films. Here's the difference:

They were GREAT. The Piano was awful--in my opinion. (Remember, we're
talking about films we walked out on.)

When Holly Hunter fell in love with a guy who had essentially raped her, I
walked out. That was just beyond by ability to suspend my disbelief. And
I'm glad, since chopping off body parts is something I really can't stand
(I've never seen The Fly, as a result). I heard about this later.

j.b.

John Blaser

Jul 7, 1994, 3:18:13 PM7/7/94
to DBAR...@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca
On Wed, 06 Jul 94 13:28:24 PDT,
DBAR...@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca <DBAR...@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca> wrote:
>>The only way it dealt with the "herd mentality of the masses" was by
>>manipulating a mass audience into thinking that this was a good movie. The
>>rest was so overdone and obvious that anyone who watched the film with a
>>little more intelligence than the lowliest member of the "herd" was either
>>bored or insulted. The rest of us went home and watched Boris Karloff in
>>Frankenstein and The Bride of Frankenstein to see how it's supposed to be
>>done.
>
> sigh.. why is that people with the most negative of views about some
>thing or another have to stoop to contempuous, childish put downs
>against those who happened to enjoy what they disliked. Is it some
>sort of inferiority complex? Can they only feel good about themselves
>when they stand on top of others and rub us lowest members of the
>herd's noses in the shit that they shovel?

Listen, I challenge you to re-read the above two commentaries and honestly
tell me that my comments are more "childish" than yours, or that mine are
personal attacks, while yours are not. You accuse me of having an
inferiority complex simply because I disagree with you, while all I said
was that Frankenstein was a better film of the genre than Edward
Scissorhands. AS for the "herd" comments: I was responding to another
poster who used that word, so I was obviously playing off of their use of
the word. If they were going to accuse others of being in the herd, I felt
they were fair game (pun intended).

j.b.

Clint Lien

Jul 7, 1994, 3:26:03 PM7/7/94
Re: Anyone NEVER walk? (was: Movies SO bad ...walked)

A long time ago I was working on the oilfields of Northern Canada and a
few of us from the crew drove over 70 miles to Fort St. John to see Reds.
Half way through the guys wanted to go, I wanted to stay, but 70 miles
in the winter was beyond even me.

Clinton

Mordea

Jul 7, 1994, 3:54:21 PM7/7/94
The only two movies I've ever walked out one were "Shakes the Clown", and
another one that I can't remember the name of, but it was a modern day
vampire flick where a beautiful female vampire converts a young male
college student. This one was a played off as a comedy. Ugh.
I don't know what the heck "Shakes the Clown" was trying to be, other
than disgusting.

Mordea
--
"Alright! Alright! Let them eat PIE!" |-----|
-Marie Antoinette, last words | X |

Mordea

Jul 7, 1994, 3:58:57 PM7/7/94
M24...@mwvm.mitre.org wrote:
:
: I've read plenty thank you. And this would also be considered one.
: It was NOT an ugly movie at all. It might have had a few plot holes and
: a flaw here and there, but it certainly doesn't deserve the bashing and

: ripping apart you're giving it.
: I haven't met or talked to anyone until now that didn't like this movie.

Um, I didn't like it all that much either, but I don't think is was
all that horrible, either. I liked the look of it, and it was odd enough
to hold my interest, just barely. I wouldn't want to watch it again, but
I didn't almost walk out on it, either.

Mordea

Jul 7, 1994, 4:07:29 PM7/7/94
Rob Furr (r.f...@genie.geis.com) wrote:

: Bing. Exactly. For my nickel, he's done one good movie (_Batman_,) one

: barely passable movie (_Beetlejuice_,) two annoying, dull and pointless
: movies (_The Nightmare Before Christmas_ and _Pee-Wee's Big Adventure_)
: and one truly terrible movie (guess.)

I kinda liked "The Nightmare Before Christmas". I thought the story
was dull, but the quality of the music (and this IS a musical) saved it.
I even bought the CD soundtrack, and enjoy listing to it often. But
that's more of a credit to Danny Elfman than to Tim Burton.
Tim Burton films general leave me feeling either disapointed or
nuetral. Can't think of one that I truely enjoyed, excepting TNMBC, and
thant only because of the soundtrack.

Mordea

Jul 7, 1994, 4:14:03 PM7/7/94
Phil Miller (mil...@sc.hp.com) wrote:

: John Pestka (pestka@willow) wrote:
: : Almost walked out of...
: : Bram Stoker's Dracula

: This movie was so disconnected from anything I could relate to, and so
: disappointing on nearly every level, that I stayed away from movie theaters
: for the next full year. If only I had walked out of the damn thing ........

Ditto. The only reason I didn't walk out was that my brain dead
husband seemed fairly interested in it, for whatever reason I can't guess.

I can't believe that one one besides myself has mentioned "Shakes the
Clown". That's the only one we BOTH walked out of. Did any of you even
_see_ this movie?

tanya banana

Jul 7, 1994, 4:21:51 PM7/7/94
Scenes from a Mall made my brain cry.

tanya
--

""**""**""**""**""**""

D. P. Meyer

Jul 7, 1994, 5:48:14 PM7/7/94
Clint Lien (cl...@cln.etc.bc.ca) wrote:
: Re: Anyone NEVER walk? (was: Movies SO bad ...walked)

I haven't ever walked away from a movie on a big screen yet, but I almost did
once. I went to see "The Doors" on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus
with my friend, and about halfway through, the projector broke down. We were
LOVING Val Kilmer's performance, and digging the tunes, but we just weren't into the movie (we hadn't had time to get good and trashed beforehand ;) ). We
looked at each other, and we each asked if the other wanted to leave, but
neither one of us wanted to admit we wanted to leave, so we ended up staying,
and I'm glad we did. Ever since, we've been talking about renting it, just to
give it a second chance (we'd get a few 6-packs, too!)--but now I'm in Ithaca,
and he's in Taipei, so I don't know if it'll happen!!

Videos aren't sacred for me, like they don't seem to be for many of you. I
try, figuring if I rent something, I should watch it, but a few I just couldn't
handle. "Scent of a Woman" was THE most awful movie I've ever rented, I think;
it just seemed like a painfully long Oscar clip for Al Pacino to me. I also
couldn't stand "Fantasia", and gave up after the little ice fairy thing. It
was SOOO pretentious! And I tried to watch "Howard's End" on cable once, but
turned it off after 5 minutes. The only Merchant-Ivory movie I've ever liked
was "Remains of the Day". But anyway.

Clinton

Fritz

Jul 7, 1994, 5:50:19 PM7/7/94
Ahem,
I believe that the name of this thread is "Movies SO bad, you walked
out of...." not, contrary to popular belief, "why Rob is an idiot for not
liking Edward Scissorhands."
The point of this group is to put down into writting, for all who cares
to read, what film you WALKED OUT ON (or considered walking out on.
This group is NOT for everyone to call each other morons for not liking
certain films, save that for your own thread (there is a lot of space in
alt.cult-movies, for such things)
So without anymore preaching.
SERIAL MOM was the film to walk out on.
(it was a strained attempt at camp)
-horace wombat
P.S. for those of you who think that Serial Mom was the end all be all of
cinema, and as a result I am some sort of primevil sloop with the IQ of a Turd
for thinking otherwise, save it for the thread "Serial Mom, Greatest Movie in
the Entire Universe, and why Horace should be lynced for thinking otherwise.
Thank you.)

Ed Keighron

Jul 7, 1994, 5:58:09 PM7/7/94
In article <16FEC7A81...@mwvm.mitre.org>,

i agree.. the shadow is based on "pulp" fiction
from ( i believe ) the 30's... most of the stuff
in pulp fiction then was just that, fluff.

and then the serializations where also that,
fluff..

this is just supposed to be fun.. not soul searching
like "The Piano".. to tell the truth, i went into the
theater and just had a good time. the movie was alot of
summer fun, and people should not try to judge the film
by criteria that the "critics" put upon it..

heck, hudson hawk was just a road picture if anyone took
the time to really watch it, and not judge it..

c'mon people.. why can't anyone just enjoy a movie without
critiquing it to death?

( please direct all flames to keig...@cmprime.att.com
i in now way express the opinions on my company, as a matter
of fact, if they knew i had an opinion they would probably
have somthing serious to say about it )

--
Edward Keighron
cmprime!keighron

John Pestka

Jul 7, 1994, 11:10:32 AM7/7/94
M24...@mwvm.mitre.org wrote:
: I've noticed a few "Shadow" bashings here of recent in this

Well, I expect a semblance of a plot, interesting characters,
good acting, and worthwhile dialogue. IMO, I found none of this
in "The Shadow." I can't believe you described this flop as
"top notch." It takes a lot more than nifty special effects and
big, dark sets to impress me.

"Who knows what boredom lurks in the hearts of men?"

The Shadow knows!

JLP

Sandra Bullock is God!!!

Robert B. Shoe

Jul 7, 1994, 10:19:21 PM7/7/94
In article <2vhtar...@rpc28.gl.umbc.edu> dhe...@umbc.edu (Fritz) writes:
>Ahem,

> So without anymore preaching.
> SERIAL MOM was the film to walk out on.
> (it was a strained attempt at camp)
> -horace wombat
> P.S. for those of you who think that Serial Mom was the end all be all of
>cinema, and as a result I am some sort of primevil sloop with the IQ of a Turd
>for thinking otherwise, save it for the thread "Serial Mom, Greatest Movie in
>the Entire Universe, and why Horace should be lynced for thinking otherwise.
>Thank you.)

You moron! (Just kidding!)
If it wasn't for the free preview of CHASERS (yawn!)
that preceded SERIAL MOM and put us to sleep, my friends and I would
surely have walked out on it. What a waste of time.
However, we did think that it had great potential that was
left untapped. Too bad.

"Can't we all get a lawn?" - me

Peter Longworth

Jul 7, 1994, 8:32:59 AM7/7/94

The worst foreign film I've ever seen was "Zentropa!" Bloody utter garbage!

They couldn't even spell the composers name correctly!

Regards,

Pete :)

E-mail: hor...@nest.hna.com.au
Newcastle, AUSTRALIA
(ALL MAIL VERY WELCUM!!!)

Mordea

Jul 8, 1994, 12:49:15 AM7/8/94
M24...@mwvm.mitre.org wrote:
: I've noticed a few "Shadow" bashings here of recent in this

I just got done watching it an hour ago. I have to agree with the
majority of this post. Fluff it was; eye candy only. But it was GOOD
eye candy!
My bottom line of whether or not a film is good is the answer to the
question "Did this film have what it takes to not bore me during the 1 to
2 hours that I sat through it?"
The answer to this question for "The Shadow", for me, was "yes". Not
only were the sets wonderful, but they weren't chintzy with the special
effects either. Sure, if there weren't constantly something eye-catching
on the screen to distract me, my brain would have soon been bored by the
lack of plot. As it was, however, I sat there entertained for the whole
of time that I was there watching it. I also liked the soundtrack, which
was very Danny Elfman'esque.
I only wish that they had put Tim Curry to better use. He's one of
my favorite actors, but it was kinda painful to watch him in this. I
know that the was playing an unattractive charecter, and that I wasn't
supposed to like him in this, so I guess that he did his job well. But
still...

Riley Icc

Jul 8, 1994, 12:17:00 AM7/8/94
Message ID: rile...@dt-can.com

-> I recognize everyone's right to an opinion, but I have to ask why you
-> consider CITIZEN KANE a stinker? I found it, and still do, to be a very
-> innovative film in terms of visual style. The editing, camera angles,
-> lighting, are all fascinating to see, especially when compared to other
-> films of the day. And even to films of today. The acting of Welles' Mercury
-> Theatre Group was outstanding from top to bottom.
-> I also found the storyline to be interesting, more than enough to keep me in
-> my seat. Each time that I watch it I find more things in it which had
-> previously escaped my attention. It has not earned the title "classic" by
-> any cheesy, underhanded, or "PC" fashion. It is a true classic in every
-> sense of the word.

So true!! CITIZEN KANE is definitly a movie that was ahead of its time and
ahead of the current time also IMHO ;)

-> So, what are your reasons for disliking it? I am genuinely interested in
-> knowing. Besides, there is too much discussion on Val Kilmer/Keanu
-> Reeves/Lion King, and not enough on classics lately.

Boy, can you say that again!

-> YES TO REC.ARTS.MOVIES.CLASSICS!!

Count me in too!!!! And if REC.ARTS.MOVIES.CLASSICS becomes reality, and no
one hears from me on the new newsgroup, could someone come get me. I may have
to bug my BBS to include it. But in the mean time, I'll be here.

-> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
-> "I wish someone would tell you what I _really_ think of you." -Claudette
-> Colbert
-> (Yet another actress I consider better than K. Hepburn)
-> --------------------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes right down to it, who isn't better.

Kris
rile...@dt-can.com

Taoist Sage

Jul 8, 1994, 1:28:51 AM7/8/94
Eron Main (Eron...@f16113.n666.z1.hadrian.rubicon.org) wrote:

: On <Jul 05 10:03>, Jason Aycock writes:

: > This is a little tangential, but who other than me has NEVER
: > walked out on a film?

Well honestly I am a true lover and die-hard fan of the silver screen,
but admit some movies I just couldn't watch any more of so I left. Two
that come to mind...well Intersection with Richard Gere...I am not even
sure why I went to see this....I suppose the reason I left was that I
cannot stand to see Richard Gere on the screen...yeah I know that sounds
immature as he is perhaps a fine actor...but there is something about him
I cannot stand...I -will- bear his face when I rent the most recent
Kurosawa film that he stars in. The second movie I remember walking out
of was Cool World...This movie just plain gave me a head-ache....I never
heard any excellent reviews so I do not plan to take some tylenol and
rent it any time soon.

Sage

Christoph Steinecke

Jul 7, 1994, 3:20:00 PM7/7/94
b...@sei.cmu.edu meinte am 07.07.94
zum Thema "Re: Movies SO bad, you walked out of.....":

>My husband saw _Heathers_ in Berkeley. After the cigarette
>scene, this one guy must have just had it. He left early but
>before doing so, he stood up, faced the audience and said
>"Oh, you people are all disGUSting!"

Well your husband is probably the reason, why you still cannot
say FUCK on US TV or see a naked women.

Most American are so easily offended

Bye
Chris

e-mail : jes...@pegasus.ms.sub.org
## CrossPoint v3.0 ##

Bryan L Scovill

Jul 8, 1994, 10:51:15 AM7/8/94
In <2vhnmb$i...@kaiwan.kaiwan.com> mor...@kaiwan.com (Mordea) writes:

> I can't believe that one one besides myself has mentioned "Shakes the
>Clown". That's the only one we BOTH walked out of. Did any of you even
>_see_ this movie?

Saw it, didn't think it was that bad. Not great mind you. But
then, non-asthetically pleasing humor ins't everyones piece of pie.

Personally, the only movie I ever voluntarily walked out of was
Midnight Run, poorly acted unfunny tripe.
Moron girlfriend of mine forced me to leave The Cook the Thief
His Wife And Her Lover. Stupid Bimbo.

--Bryan

P.S. Full sentences are bad things, including this one.
--
Bryan L. S. Scovill...(bls@kepler)...Hardware Tech./Team Leader...C.I.S.
A man with two arms full of take out has

Mary Grivetti

Jul 8, 1994, 11:12:50 AM7/8/94
A movie I felt compelled to walk out on was one called "Joe" starring
Peter Boyle as the title character. The movie may not have been a BAD
movie so much as it affected me BADLY! I frankly can't remember very
much of the plot. I believe the story involved Joe's daughter being
abducted by, or joining up with, some "hippie"-like gang (this was the
70s). Joe spent the movie trying to get his kid back or something like
that I think. Anyway, the whole feel of the movie was *very* tense
and violent. It culminated in Joe taking a shotgun into the gang's
"hideout" and blasting away. That's where I had to leave the theater,
I was so upset. Maybe I was just in a lousy mood that night (it WAS
20 years ago!).

Maybe someone can remember the plot better than I can--I only can
remember vividly the scene of him shooting and killing these people
in the house and then literally running out of the theater. Did I
overreact? Anyone else have an opinion?

MG

M24...@mwvm.mitre.org

Jul 8, 1994, 11:25:45 AM7/8/94
>Ahem,
> I believe that the name of this thread is "Movies SO bad, you walked
>out of...." not, contrary to popular belief, "why Rob is an idiot for not
>liking Edward Scissorhands."
> The point of this group is to put down into writting, for all who cares
>to read, what film you WALKED OUT ON (or considered walking out on.
> This group is NOT for everyone to call each other morons for not liking
>certain films, save that for your own thread (there is a lot of space in
>alt.cult-movies, for such things)

*** WELL, if you read HIS original post correctly. He didn't merely say
that he walked out of "ES" because he didn't like it. He said that you
had to be an idiot TO like it. Hence the dozens of flames. And justifiably
so.

Message has been deleted

Thomas Andrews

Jul 8, 1994, 12:07:45 PM7/8/94
>When I was 9 or 10, I made my dad take me home from the first Aliens movie.

The first "Aliens" movie?

Has anybody seen "Psycho I"? I hear it's better than the others, but that
it's in black and white.
--
Thomas Andrews
CenterLine Software

Clint Lien

Jul 8, 1994, 1:09:18 PM7/8/94
In article <60295....@ncrel.org> John Blaser, jbl...@ncrel.org
writes:

I was the "other poster" and I most certainly was not accusing anybody of
being in "the herd". I said that the movie looked at the herd mentality.
I did re-read the first two comments and your comment is by far the most
childish. You comment on the intelligence
of the people who enjoyed this movie and go on to say, that Frankenstein
did it better.
The person who responded to your comment merely points out that you don't
make yourself taller my cutting off the legs of your adversaries. I
haven't heard one person who liked this movie suggest to those of you who
didn't that your intelligence was lacking. Your tastes are simply
different.

It is loading more messages.