Anthony Hopkins movies

cheri stine

Oct 18, 1994, 1:18:54 AM10/18/94

I just watched the movie SHADOWLANDS tonight and really enjoyed it. I
haven't seen many of Anthony Hopkins movies other than SoTL and this
one. I have been considering whether I should watch REMAINS OF THE DAY &
HOWARD'S END or not. I haven't heard very good things about these movies
and I was wondering what you people thought of them. I would appreciate
no SPOILERS please since I have yet to see these movies. Also I would
like to discuss SHADOWLANDS and get some of your reactions.

Cheri
* _\\|||//_ *
* Cheri Stine (' O-O ') University Of MN *
* cst...@ub.d.umn.edu ooO-(_)-Ooo Duluth Campus *
* *
* Thanks for your support!! *

Gerald Edgar

Oct 20, 1994, 5:30:50 AM10/20/94

THE ROAD TO WELLVILLE is due out soon. In the preview, I didn't even
recognize Anthony Hopkins until the actors' names were shown at
the end. He has some large front teeth (presumably to make him
look like the real Mr. Kellogg).

Steven Chung

Oct 20, 1994, 2:53:51 AM10/20/94
In article <37vlru...@news.d.umn.edu>,
cheri stine <cst...@ub.d.umn.edu> wrote:
#
# I just watched the movie SHADOWLANDS tonight and really enjoyed it. I
# haven't seen many of Anthony Hopkins movies other than SoTL and this
# one. I have been considering whether I should watch REMAINS OF THE DAY &
# HOWARD'S END or not. I haven't heard very good things about these movies
# and I was wondering what you people thought of them.

Been reading the _New Yorker_ film reviews?

Seriously, both films are quite good; at least as good as _Shadowlands_.
_Howards End_ is the more substantial movie, but _Remains_ has the bigger
Hopkins part, in which he gives one of the truly great screen performances.

Ernest Ong

Oct 20, 1994, 12:55:37 PM10/20/94
I completely and full-heartedly recommend Remains of the Day. While
almost everyone I have spoken to who have seen both Remains and
Shadowlands prefer the latter, Remains is worth seeing a thousand times
a thousand times, just for Anthony Hopkins' incredible performance.

Quite a few people I know also prefer Howards End to Remains. If you
want to see acting in its finest, watch Remains, and gasp in awe all
thru it - Tony is simply unbelievably brilliant in it!

cheers,
ernie.

P.S. Sorry to keep venting out about Tony all the time! I really can't
help myself... Honestly!!! ;-)

--
name: Ernie Ong
addr: er...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au

divine...@sfnet.com

Oct 20, 1994, 7:25:12 PM10/20/94

> I just watched the movie SHADOWLANDS tonight and really
> enjoyed it. I
> haven't seen many of Anthony Hopkins movies other than SoTL and this
>
> one. I have been considering whether I should watch REMAINS OF THE
> DAY &
> HOWARD'S END or not. I haven't heard very good things about these
> movies
> and I was wondering what you people thought of them. I would
> appreciate
> no SPOILERS please since I have yet to see these movies. Also I
> would
> like to discuss SHADOWLANDS and get some of your reactions.

He's playing Dr. Kellogg in "The Road to Wellville," which opens next week.
I'm definitely checking this one out; the book was hysterical.

Nadia Dez

Oct 19, 1994, 9:36:30 AM10/19/94
cheri stine (cst...@ub.d.umn.edu) wrote:

: I just watched the movie SHADOWLANDS tonight and really enjoyed it. I

: haven't seen many of Anthony Hopkins movies other than SoTL and this
: one. I have been considering whether I should watch REMAINS OF THE DAY &
: HOWARD'S END or not. I haven't heard very good things about these movies
: and I was wondering what you people thought of them. I would appreciate
: no SPOILERS please since I have yet to see these movies. Also I would
: like to discuss SHADOWLANDS and get some of your reactions.

Since both HOWARDS END and REMAINS OD THE DAYS where second in the running
for the oscar in their respective year and EMMA THOMPSON won for best actress
and VANESSA REDGRAVE was nominated for HOWARDS END and both THOMSON and
HOPKINS where nominated for REMAINS its hard to figure out why you got
bad reviews of these movies. I think that if you have liked shadowland,
you will like both these movies.

Nadia.

BULLEY KENNETH ROSS

Oct 19, 1994, 2:50:21 PM10/19/94
In article <37vlru...@news.d.umn.edu>,
cheri stine <cst...@ub.d.umn.edu> wrote:

> I just watched the movie SHADOWLANDS tonight and really enjoyed it. I >haven't seen many of Anthony Hopkins movies other than SoTL and this
Also I would
>like to discuss SHADOWLANDS and get some of your reactions.
>
>Cheri

I thought 'Shadowlands' was terrific, although Debra Winger kind of
over did the accent at times, in my opinion. I think Anthony Hopkins is
so well known for his 'Hannibal Lector' character that some people might
overlook movies of his such as 'Shadowlands', 'Howards End', etc., but
I'll definitely be looking for them in the video store this weekend.
Hopkins has such incredible range as an actor, don't you agree?

Ken.

--
K.R. Bulley
Erindale College

Boyd Zenner

Oct 22, 1994, 4:57:54 PM10/22/94
d40...@info.polymtl.ca writes:

> cheri stine (cst...@ub.d.umn.edu) wrote:
>

> Since both HOWARDS END and REMAINS OD THE DAYS where second in the running
> for the oscar in their respective year and EMMA THOMPSON won for best actress
> and VANESSA REDGRAVE was nominated for HOWARDS END and both THOMSON and
> HOPKINS where nominated for REMAINS its hard to figure out why you got
> bad reviews of these movies.

Possibly because you talked to people who resented seeing
Merchant & Ivory perform their usual taxidermy job on important
works of fiction.

Boyd

Erik A. Speckman

Oct 23, 1994, 12:07:01 PM10/23/94
In article <37vlru...@news.d.umn.edu>,
cheri stine <cst...@ub.d.umn.edu> wrote:

> I just watched the movie SHADOWLANDS tonight and really enjoyed it. I
>haven't seen many of Anthony Hopkins movies other than SoTL and this
>one. I have been considering whether I should watch REMAINS OF THE DAY &
>HOWARD'S END or not. I haven't heard very good things about these movies
>and I was wondering what you people thought of them. I would appreciate
>no SPOILERS please since I have yet to see these movies. Also I would
>like to discuss SHADOWLANDS and get some of your reactions.

Howards End was agood film and Hopkin's was excellent.

You might want to check out "84 Charring Cross Road" with Hopkins and
Anne Bancroft.

Boyd Zenner

Oct 23, 1994, 2:59:59 PM10/23/94
as...@quads.uchicago.edu writes:

> In article <Cy3E8...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> bz...@poe.acc.Virginia.EDU (Boyd Zenner) writes:
> >> Since both HOWARDS END and REMAINS OD THE DAYS where second in the running
> >> for the oscar in their respective year and EMMA THOMPSON won for best actress
> >> and VANESSA REDGRAVE was nominated for HOWARDS END and both THOMSON and
> >> HOPKINS where nominated for REMAINS its hard to figure out why you got
> >> bad reviews of these movies.
> >
> >Possibly because you talked to people who resented seeing
> >Merchant & Ivory perform their usual taxidermy job on important
> >works of fiction.
> A little too intellectually insecure to enjoy a good movie are we?
> And since when are all the books Merchant Ivory base their movies on
> "important works of fiction?" Many of them are just good stories turned
> into better movies.

>Oh, you mean like "Mr. and Mrs. Bridge," in which two
brilliant novels by Evan Connell were turned into one
mind-bendingly pointless cinematic disaster starring the
luckless Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward?

Elizabeth A Esser

Oct 19, 1994, 11:41:20 PM10/19/94
Hmm. Well, if you liked Shadowlands because it's a sentimental love
story, you might not like Howard's end or the Remains of the Day.
However, if you are looking for absolutley incredible performances by
Hopkins (not to mention Emma Thompson!) then definitely see these movies!

Howard's End is one of my favorite films of all time-- incredibly
well-made with strong performances all around-- Thompson just blew me
away on this one. Remains of the Day is great also-- it's a downer
though-- be prepared.

Some people just don't get into Merchant Ivory flicks though. . . maybe
that's why you heard "bad things" about them. *shrug*

However, I give both films "two enthusiastic thumbs up-- WAY up!" :)
--Liza

Lisa Mehan

Oct 24, 1994, 10:34:29 AM10/24/94
In article <37vlru...@news.d.umn.edu>, cst...@ub.d.umn.edu (cheri stine) writes:

|> I just watched the movie SHADOWLANDS tonight and really enjoyed it. I
|> haven't seen many of Anthony Hopkins movies other than SoTL and this
|> one. I have been considering whether I should watch REMAINS OF THE DAY &
|> HOWARD'S END or not. I haven't heard very good things about these movies
|> and I was wondering what you people thought of them. I would appreciate
|> no SPOILERS please since I have yet to see these movies. Also I would
|> like to discuss SHADOWLANDS and get some of your reactions.
|>
|> Cheri

I am suprised that you have not heard good things about RotD&HE. I enjoyed them both emensly! If you like the other EM Forster novels>films then you will like HE. My husband found it slow and boring though--as I've said before--to each their own. You'll have to watch and decide for yourself.

Rusty W. Spell

Oct 25, 1994, 1:39:50 PM10/25/94
Don't forget about a younger Hopkins in *The Elephant Man*. Does
anyone know his first movie? He also did a good job as Helsing in
*Dracula*.

Rusty W. Spell

M.S. Burton

Oct 25, 1994, 5:30:26 PM10/25/94

1967 'The White bus', a short film by Lidsey Anderson. First "official"
film was 'The Lion in Winter' in 1968. He's made close to 60 theatrical
and television films since then -- a list was posted a while back.

Yet Another Steve

Oct 25, 1994, 4:44:57 PM10/25/94
In article <38jft6$8...@server.st.usm.edu>, rws...@whale.st.usm.edu (Rusty
W. Spell) wrote:

I think his first movie was THE LION IN WINTER -- he played Richard III.
Hell of a good flick, by the way.

Steve

Ken Kaufman

Oct 26, 1994, 11:54:14 AM10/26/94
What was the title of the book that Vincent (Travolta) was reading?
--Ken

Yet Another Steve

Oct 26, 1994, 3:05:49 PM10/26/94

steve_h...@qmail4.trw.sp.com (Yet Another Steve) writes:

> > I think his first movie was THE LION IN WINTER -- he played Richard III.
> > Hell of a good flick, by the way.
>

> Make that Richard Lionheart, ie Richard I.

Whoops! Of course. Fortunately, in cyberspace nobody can see you blush.

-- Steve, flaming red

Chooi Siew H.

Oct 19, 1994, 10:38:37 PM10/19/94

I think Hopkins' best performance is in "Remains of the day". He is just
too awesome in that movie. I like RoTD much more than Shadowland.

Didn't enjoy Howards End though.....

cheri stine (cst...@ub.d.umn.edu) wrote:

--

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Gorgeous One !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(No Kidding)

strn...@acfcluster.nyu.edu

Oct 26, 1994, 8:54:32 AM10/26/94

Make that Richard Lionheart, ie Richard I.
Ruth E. Sternglantz/ New York University/ Department of English
19 University Place, Room 200/ New York, New York 10003/ Tel: 212 998-8808
strn...@acfcluster.nyu.edu strn...@nyuacf.bitnet

Tony THOMSON

Oct 31, 1994, 1:54:52 PM10/31/94
In article <38lu36$l...@portal.gmu.edu> kau...@mason1.gmu.edu (Ken
Kaufman) writes:
> What was the title of the book that Vincent (Travolta) was reading?
> --Ken
It was 'Modesty Blaise'. I think.

Tony

Jim Gillogly

Nov 2, 1994, 7:14:24 PM11/2/94
Regarding the book Vincent was reading:
In article <3997ap$5...@nntp.stanford.edu>,
James Alexander Chokey <jch...@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>In article <393ehs$p...@homer.cs.mcgill.ca>,

>Tony THOMSON <to...@binkley.cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:
>>It was 'Modesty Blaise'. I think.
>
> On another PF thread, someone else said they thought it was Madam
>Bovary. So, there seems to be some agreement that it's a two-word title

Definitely Modesty Blaise, by Peter O'Donnell. I don't have that
particular edition, but somebody else recognized it as the first American
edition.
--
Jim Gillogly
Sterday, 13 Blotmath S.R. 1994, 00:14

Robert Finn

Nov 2, 1994, 7:46:16 PM11/2/94
In article <3997ap$5...@nntp.stanford.edu>,
James Alexander Chokey <jch...@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>In article <393ehs$p...@homer.cs.mcgill.ca>,
>Tony THOMSON <to...@binkley.cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> On another PF thread, someone else said they thought it was Madam
>Bovary. So, there seems to be some agreement that it's a two-word title
>with an "M" and a "B" as the first letters of the two words, but that's
>about it.
>
> -- Jim C.

It was definitely Modesty Blaise.

Bob Finn
fi...@netcom.com

Mike D'Angelo

Nov 3, 1994, 1:20:14 AM11/3/94
In article <3997ap$5...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>, jch...@leland.Stanford.EDU (James Alexander Chokey) writes:
>In article <393ehs$p...@homer.cs.mcgill.ca>,
>Tony THOMSON <to...@binkley.cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> On another PF thread, someone else said they thought it was Madam
>Bovary. So, there seems to be some agreement that it's a two-word title
>with an "M" and a "B" as the first letters of the two words, but that's
>about it.

It is unquestionably MODESTY BLAISE, regardless of what somebody in another
thread may have thought they saw.

Not only did I definitely see the title (twice), but it makes sense for a guy
like Vincent to be reading MODESTY BLAISE, whereas MADAME BOVARY would be a bit
of an effort for him, I suspect. Though suddenly I'm taken with the notion of
Travolta reading BOVARY for a Books-on-Tape outfit....

Mike D'Angelo
Tisch School of the Arts, NYU

"No, no...you're not that upset." --Johnny Depp as ED WOOD

James Alexander Chokey

Nov 2, 1994, 6:28:25 PM11/2/94
In article <393ehs$p...@homer.cs.mcgill.ca>,
Tony THOMSON <to...@binkley.cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:

On another PF thread, someone else said they thought it was Madam

Bovary. So, there seems to be some agreement that it's a two-word title
with an "M" and a "B" as the first letters of the two words, but that's
about it.

-- Jim C.

| James A. Chokey jch...@leland.stanford.edu |
| |