Army of Darkness Quote

John Tehan

Feb 27, 1993, 2:44:16 PM2/27/93
I just watched the new movie Army of Darkness, and the main character was
required to say some specific words over the evil of of the dead and I s
swear that I have heard those words before. I was wondering if anyone has
ever heard these words before in another movie.
"Klatu Verati Nictu" (sp)
It is plagueing my mind, and I can't seem to forget about it, so I would
appreciate any help you can give me in finding out the answer.

Douglas R Fils

Feb 27, 1993, 5:42:11 PM2/27/93

My first guess is that you want to watch
"When the Earth Stood Still" again. Been a long time since I
saw it, but I think that is where that line first showed up.

Take care
Doug

Jack Coyote

Feb 27, 1993, 5:55:14 PM2/27/93
In rec.arts.sf.movies, j...@morias.gwinnett.com (John Tehan) writes:

> "Klatu Verati Nictu" (sp)
>It is plagueing my mind, and I can't seem to forget about it, so I would
>appreciate any help you can give me in finding out the answer.

"Klaatu Barada Nikto" is from "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

I have GOT to go see this movie. (As soon as I can laugh without hurting
myself. Does anyone else still giggle over "Dead by dawn! Dead by dawn!" ?)

--
"Pound for pound, lame puns are your best entertainment value." -- Gogo Dodo

Dr. Ross Alan Stapleton

Feb 27, 1993, 9:22:00 PM2/27/93
In article <HcBNZB...@morias.gwinnett.com>, j...@morias.gwinnett.com
(John Tehan) writes...

>I just watched the new movie Army of Darkness, and the main character was
>required to say some specific words over the evil of of the dead and I
>swear that I have heard those words before. I was wondering if anyone has
>ever heard these words before in another movie.
> "Klatu Verati Nictu" (sp)
>It is plagueing my mind, and I can't seem to forget about it, so I would
>appreciate any help you can give me in finding out the answer.

I haven't seen either movie, actually, but the phrase ("klaatu barada
nikto" is closer, I think) is from "The Day the Earth Stood Still," and
was required to stop the robot.

Ross

Jeff Gronberg

Mar 1, 1993, 3:14:29 PM3/1/93

It brings to mind the quote "klatu brada nicto" (sp?) from the day the
earth stood still.
A classic 50's movie. It was the command that caused the giant robot
gort to revive
the dead alien named klatu.

Jeff Gronberg

Andrew Farrell

Mar 2, 1993, 5:05:05 AM3/2/93
In <sfYDDXm00...@andrew.cmu.edu> Michael P Collins <mc...@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

>Excerpts from netnews.rec.arts.sf.movies: 27-Feb-93 Army of Darkness
>Quote by John Te...@morias.gwinne
>> "Klatu Verati Nictu" (sp)
>Klaatu Barada Nikto!!! Klaatu Barada Nikto!!! What movie is it from?

The day the earth stood still?

No wait, that doesn't look right.

The Day The Earth Stood Still!

Yeah, much better.

Andrew.
--
Whereabouts: Mathsoc, Trinity,
Centre of The Universe.

Some Irish Guy of the NTB;

labu...@ame_lab.nosubdomain.nodomain

Mar 1, 1993, 10:03:20 AM3/1/93
Don't bother. I saw it last night and was very dissapointed!! It made me want
to go out and rent ED II again. It's short too, only 75 min!!

James Logajan

Mar 1, 1993, 11:42:41 AM3/1/93
In article <1993Feb27....@coe.montana.edu>, uph...@gemini.oscs.montana.edu (Jack Coyote) writes:
> In rec.arts.sf.movies, j...@morias.gwinnett.com (John Tehan) writes:
>
> > "Klatu Verati Nictu" (sp)
> >It is plagueing my mind, and I can't seem to forget about it, so I would
> >appreciate any help you can give me in finding out the answer.
>
> "Klaatu Barada Nikto" is from "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

BTW: The character of Jim Rockford in the TV series "The Rockford Files" also
used this line when a BIG guy was about to beat the c**p out of him. Another
episode had a character say the famous lines "'Looks like nuclear combat,
toe-to-toe with the rooskies.' What goof wrote this script anyway?"

--
James Logajan jam...@apertus.com or jam...@apertus.mn.org
Apertus Technologies

Anurag Juneja

Mar 2, 1993, 9:56:57 AM3/2/93

Source : New York Times
Through Feb. 28, Dollar figures are in millions.

REVENUE$
Last Total No. of Weeks
Weekend To Date Screens Open

1. FALLING DOWN 8.7 8.7 1220 1

2. GROUNDHOG DAY 7.6 36.4 1742 3

3. HOMEWARD BOUND 5.9 23.6 1798 4

4. THE CRYING GAME 4.9 28.0 985 14

5. SOMMERSBY 4.1 33.5 1762 4

6. ALADDIN 3.9 184.2 1717 16

7. UNTAMED HEART 2.6 11.0 1123 3

8. SCENT OF A WOMAN 2.5 45.0 1248 10

9. ARMY OF DARKNESS 2.3 7.8 1391 2

10. A FEW GOOD MEN 1.9 129.5 1278 12

Ron Harding

Mar 1, 1993, 9:54:22 PM3/1/93
In article <C37yF...@apertus.com> jam...@apertus.mn.org (James Logajan) writes:
> In article <1993Feb27....@coe.montana.edu>, uph...@gemini.oscs.montana.edu (Jack Coyote) writes:
> > In rec.arts.sf.movies, j...@morias.gwinnett.com (John Tehan) writes:
> >
> > > "Klatu Verati Nictu" (sp)
> > >It is plagueing my mind, and I can't seem to forget about it, so I would
> > >appreciate any help you can give me in finding out the answer.
> >
> > "Klaatu Barada Nikto" is from "The Day the Earth Stood Still".
> >

> BTW: The character of Jim Rockford in the TV series "The Rockford Files" also
> used this line when a BIG guy was about to beat the c**p out of him. Another
> episode had a character say the famous lines "'Looks like nuclear combat,
> toe-to-toe with the rooskies.' What goof wrote this script anyway?"

Since we're making a list of uses of this phrase, it also was used in the
recent Robin Williams movie _Toys_. The evil military-type dude used
it at the end to try and stop the killer machine that was coming for him.

+---------------------------------------------+----------------------------+
| Nuke'Em: Get them before they get you! | Ron Harding |
| Another quality home game from Butler Bros. | uunet.ca!yuggoth!rbharding |
+---------------------------------------------+----------------------------+

Michael P Collins

Feb 28, 1993, 12:18:27 PM2/28/93

Ross Smith

Mar 4, 1993, 1:49:54 PM3/4/93
In article <rbhardi...@yuggoth.org> rbha...@yuggoth.org (Ron Harding) writes:
>In article <C37yF...@apertus.com> jam...@apertus.mn.org (James Logajan) writes:

>> > "Klaatu Barada Nikto" is from "The Day the Earth Stood Still".
>>
>> BTW: The character of Jim Rockford in the TV series "The Rockford Files" also
>> used this line when a BIG guy was about to beat the c**p out of him. Another
>> episode had a character say the famous lines "'Looks like nuclear combat,
>> toe-to-toe with the rooskies.' What goof wrote this script anyway?"
>
>Since we're making a list of uses of this phrase, it also was used in the
>recent Robin Williams movie _Toys_. The evil military-type dude used
>it at the end to try and stop the killer machine that was coming for him.

And one of the characters in "Tron" had the words on a sign in their office
cubicle.

--
...... Ross Smith (Wanganui, NZ) ...... al...@acheron.amigans.gen.nz ......
"The current state of knowledge can be summarised thus: In the beginning